The Final Breeze by grugster
Summary: Harry cannot forget Sirius’ death and feels guilty. When all the pain becomes too much, he decides to end his life. Will someone be able to stop him? Warning: explicit description of self harm, suicide attempt in ch.1
Categories: Big Brother Snape, Healer Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Hermione, McGonagall, Other, Pomfrey, Remus, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Self-harm, Suicide Themes
Challenges: None
Series: The Final Breeze
Chapters: 28 Completed: Yes Word count: 55943 Read: 196105 Published: 09 May 2009 Updated: 04 Nov 2009
Chapter 3 - New Guardians by grugster

Snoring woke Harry. The hospital wing was dim already, so Harry assumed that it must be late afternoon or evening. The snoring sound came from the armchair that was placed beside his bed. Professor Moody was sprawled unceremoniously over it and was sound asleep. Quickly, the events of the day came back in Harry's mind. Oh Merlin, what have I done? How could I believe that was the right way? If he was positive about one thing, then it was that he didn't want to die. Hiding, yes! Running away, yes! But dying, NO! Harry felt embarrassed that they had caught him. If he could have, he would leave as fast as possible in the hope that he wouldn't have to face the people who helped him and those who heard what he had done. I feel good; even my arm doesn't hurt any more. Maybe Madam Pomfrey will release me and I can go back to the Dursleys. When I come back after the summer, they hopefully would have already forgotten about this stupid mistake. He was so deep in thought that he didn't notice that the snoring had stopped.

Alastor had watched Harry for the last five minutes. The boy seems deep in thought. Shall I tell him what we decided? Maybe I should wait for Poppy, Alastor mused.

Finally, Harry noticed the silence and looked over at Alastor.

"How are you, Harry?" Alastor asked friendly.

"I'm sorry," Harry said as he averted his face again and stared at the ceiling.

"You say that quite often, lad, but it won't undo what you did," Alastor said calmly and not reproachfully. He stood up, came over to Harry's bed and sat down on the edge. "How about telling me why you did it?"

"I don't know. It was just a mistake. I won't do it again," Harry mumbled unhappily.

"That was an easy answer, and I don't buy it at all. Try again," Alastor said, with a little more force behind his voice.

When Alastor took Harry's hand, the boy faced his professor again. "I was just stressed. I felt desperate, and I didn't even realize when I climbed over the banister." Seeing Alastor's mistrusting expression, he added, "I swear!"

"And did you also not notice when you let go of the rail?" Alastor asked provokingly.

Harry sighed and turned away again

"No, Harry, speak with me," Alastor said strictly, and grabbed Harry's chin to turn his face in his direction again. "You don't have to hide anything, Harry. We are here to help you."

Harry felt overwhelmed. Tears were running over his cheeks, and he started to sob. He didn't want his Professor to pull his hand away, and when Alastor cupped his cheek and gently stroked the tears away, Harry couldn't control himself. He threw himself violently in Alastor's arms and sobbed helplessly. Alastor drew calming circles on Harry's back and spoke softly to him. "It's okay, Harry, we will help you. You are not alone. Tell me why you did it. Please?"

When Harry had calmed down, he would have done anything to stay in the warm and comfortable arms. And so he told Alastor of his nightmares, of his guilt about Sirius and Cedric's death, of his fear that he wouldn't be able to defeat Voldmort and of the fear that he endangers his friends. He told him about his wish to run away and hide and that he felt so alone.

Still holding the sobbing teenager in his strong arms, Alastor said, "I'm sorry for not realizing how much this all was bothering you. You misunderstood some things, Harry. You don't have to fight Voldemort on your own. The prophecy just says that you will play an important role in the defeat of the Dark Lord not that you have to face him alone. We will speak about this later, but there are still some more things I would like to straighten out. Sirius' and Cedric's deaths aren't your fault-" He was interrupted by a protesting groan from Harry, but Alastor just tightened his grip on the boy and went on. "You will not be alone on the battle field, and you will not be alone now. I won't let you run away and hide. The war isn't everything you should think about. You should try to enjoy your life. It was stupid of us to think we could send you back to your relatives. You will stay here over the holidays. When you are well enough, you will move in with Poppy and me."

Harry moved away a little to look at Alastor. Is he joking? "But Professor Dumbledore?"

"Has already agreed," Alastor said calmly while watching Harry closely.

"But the blood protection? The Headmaster always insisted that I go back," Harry questioned, confused.

"That was before you tried to kill yourself, Harry. The blood protection cannot protect you from yourself," Alastor explained seriously.

Harry lowered his head in embarrassment. "I already said I won't do it again. It was a mistake. I know this now."

"I really hope so, but you also have to understand that we want to make sure that this won't happen again. Poppy thinks that you have depression, Harry. Maybe it has driven you so far that you jumped from the tower. And it also could be the reason that you feel the need to inflict these wounds on your arms." Alastor had cupped Harry's right cheek with one of his big hands and was stroking Harry's head calmingly with his right hand. "You are not alone, Harry. We will take care of you. The question is only will you let us?"

The hands on his face and head felt so good. If that is what he would get over the summer instead of hits and humiliation from the Dursleys, then Harry was more than eager to agree. They didn't seem to be angry with him or judge him for what he had done. Again, tears were running freely over his cheek, but this time he felt relieved. He also got the overwhelming feeling of having someone who care for him. Again, Harry buried his head in Alastor's broad chest. Harry just hoped they would all react like Professor Moody.

As Harry enjoyed the warm feeling and sobbed, Alastor used the opportunity to encircle Harry with one arm and slowly stroked his hair with the other hand. When Harry felt a hand on his back, which started to draw small circles, it took him some time to realize that it couldn't be Alastor's. He wasn't willing to give up the embrace, and so he just turned his head to see who else was in the room. It was Madam Pomfrey.

"How are you Harry? Any pain?" Poppy asked friendly.

Harry shook his head. Now where he know that he will live with her and Professor Moody, he looked at her from a total different point of view.

"That's good to hear. Is it okay when I cast a diagnostic spell nevertheless?" Poppy asked while showing Harry her wand.

"Okay," Harry said and groaned sadly that he had to give up his warm embrace. When he struggled to get free, Poppy stopped him by gently pressing at his back. "No, no, Harry you can stay like this if you like. I prefer you relaxed and drowsy than stiffened and frightened."

Harry happily obliged, and feeling Alastor chuckle didn't worry him. It was just another nice feeling.

Poppy waved her wand a few times over him and then put her wand away satisfied. "Very well, Harry. Your bruises are almost gone completely, and your nerves seem to be calm at the moment. What do you think about eating?"

Harry shrugged his shoulders. He hadn't thought about it, and in the moment he just didn't want to let go of his Professor.

"You can snuggle with Alastor later as well, Harry. Right now it would be better to eat a little," Poppy said, already using her husband's first name because Harry had to get used to use their first names from now on.

"Yes, lad, Poppy is right. Let's see what the house-elves have for you," Alastor said cheerfully, and loosened his embrace.

"Okay," Harry said reluctantly and moved out of Alastor's arms.

While they sat at the small table in the infirmary, Alastor told Poppy what happened before she came in. Harry didn't care. It was clear that Poppy had to know everything what happened.

"Nightmares, Harry? How long do you have them?" Poppy asked, going into her Mediwitch mode.

Harry swallowed the juice down and answered, "I don't really know. For a long time. I can't even remember when I last slept really peacefully. I often feel alone, especially in the night. I can't stop the nightmares, and I often wake Ron or the others. Recently, I placed silencing charms on my bed." Harry's stomach cramped at these thoughts, and he pushed the plate away.

"I shouldn't have asked you this while you were trying to eat, Harry. I'm sorry," Poppy said and pushed the plate in front of Harry again. "Please try to eat a little more."

Reluctantly, Harry grabbed his half eaten slice of bread and started eating again.

"Good boy," Poppy said and patted his head. Then she turned to Alastor. "Maybe it is better that we get him moved in this evening. He doesn't have to stay here, and I would prefer to have him in our quarters as soon as possible."

"But Albus said he'll need one day to add a new room. He needs some time to lower the castle wards to make this possible," Alastor reminded his wife.

Harry followed the conversation closely, but still ate to please Poppy.

"We won't need the room tonight. I need to monitor Harry closely because of the concussion and the nightmares. He could sleep in our bed," Poppy said as if this would be the most normal thing in the world.

Harry choked at his food. When Poppy had patted him forcefully on his back, and he could breathe freely again, he said, "I cannot sleep in your bed."

"Why not? You seemed to accept Alastor's closeness very well a few minutes ago. Why would it be a problem to sleep between us? You aren't worried because of me, are you? I have already seen you in pajamas quite often, and you are wearing them at the moment as well. I can't see the problem," Poppy said honestly, puzzled.

"But sleeping between you; I'm too old for this," Harry said, shocked.

"Too old? Severus has slept between us quite often, and he was already in his thirties," Poppy said in her no-nonsense voice.

"Professor Snape slept in your bed?" Harry gaped open-mouthed at the two adults.

"Severus will kill you for this," Alastor told Poppy, chuckling.

"It would be useless to hide it from Harry. He will find out about our relationship to Severus soon. And if Severus should try to argue about telling Harry, we will be four in the bed the next time," Poppy said strictly.

Alastor chuckled. "A cozy little family meeting. I must say I wouldn't complain."

Harry was dumbfounded. Professor Snape in their bed and Professor Moody was calling it a family meeting. If Draco dyed his hair red, he couldn't be more surprised than he was now. "Ehm, Madam Pomfrey?

"Poppy, Harry. And Alastor. We will live together from now on, so you should use our first names," Poppy explained.

"Okay, ehm... Poppy. Did the Professor sleep freely in your bed, and did he like it?"

"No, to the first question, and there won't be more explanation because it is up to Severus how much he wants you to know about his life. And the answer to the second question is a little tricky. Openly, he would never agree that he felt good while spending nights in our bed, but I'm sure that he felt safe. It's nice to have someone around especially when you suffer from nightmares. We will be there to pull you out of them when you are trapped, and we will comfort you and help you sleep again. I'm sure you will like it. So, will you give it a try?"

"'Kay," Harry said shyly.

"Fine, then finish supper, so that we can close the infirmary and move over to our quarters."

Our quarters. These words rang in Harry's head. It felt so good to feel like he had a home. A few hours ago he wanted to die, and now he was just happy to be alive. He felt safe and no longer alone. Our quarters. How can rooms he never had seen before already feel more home than the house of his relatives?

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1815