Cat's Eye View by Baghi
Summary: Sequel to 'Strange day in the Kitchen Corridor', Harry is subjected to a curse from Malfoy. His Uncle is not pleased. Harry sends a request for help, which is answered by Minerva McGonagall, and none other then Severus Snape.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Vernon
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Creature!fic, Snape-meets-Dursleys, SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: 6th summer, 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: Feline trouble
Chapters: 10 Completed: Yes Word count: 18759 Read: 53176 Published: 21 May 2009 Updated: 16 Jul 2009
Memories by Baghi
Author's Notes:
Okay...hmm...Not much to say is there? Thanks for the Review all. Thanks especially to Snapegirl and Pandora for taking the time to review all my chapters(and stories). It is truly appreciated, and I'm glad you enjoy my stories so much. For those who find my cliffies evil, Gomen, but sometimes an author needs cliffies. I think I should stop now lest my Author's note be longer then the chapter itself. On we go! All personal thoughts, spells, past events, shifting events, and emphisizing will be in italics only. Mind talk will be in italics bracketed in an apostrophe. Dreams(and memories) will be italics bracketed in the ~ button.

Last time: ~ Dudley stuck out his leg tripping Harry. The child barely managed to avoid spilling the hot coffee on his Aunt, but ended up spilling it all over himself and the floor.

"You clumsy oaf!" roared Vernon, grabbing the stunned child by the scruff of the neck. Harry whimpered slightly, only to be silenced by a rough shake. He was carried into the hallway, and shoved into a cupboard under the stairs. Vernon's voice could be heard "Petunia will let you out when I'm gone. Your chores had better be done before I return!" As Harry tried to take off his shirt so that he could get into a dry one, it wouldn't come off. The scene faded on Harry's look of pain as he continually tried to remove the painful material from his burnt skin.~

Harry appeared before Draco and Severus, tugging at his shirt. He stopped when he realized that the shirt came up without pain. He then looked up, and startled at seeing the two infront of him. He nearly asked an inane question, but stopped. Draco, however, was not so reserved. "Why were you making and serving breakfast, Harry? Why not your Aunt?" Harry looked away ashamed, but looked up stunned when Severus began to speak "Quiet Draco. We are here to keep Potter's mind sane, not to ask questions into his past."

Draco was not satisfied, but let the matter be. He muttered "I still don't think it's fair though." Snape did something unexpected. He laughed; true laughter and not just a wry chuckle. This time both humans-turned-animals looked surprised. Neither had ever seen the Potion Master laugh! When Severus regained his composure, he says in an ironic voice "Who ever said life was fair? You should know that as well as anyone Draco." The ermine snapped it's jaw shut(it had fallen open when Sev laughed), and nodded contritely. 'Sorry, Harry. It's not my place to pry' he sent his mind-mate.

Harry shrugged, and looked about. He finally asked what had been bothering him "Where are we, exactly? I mean, that was one of my memories, but how did we end up seeing it? I had nearly forgotten about that one, and why I always hopped over Dudley's foot whenever he tried to trip me." Draco sighed, and proceeded to tell Harry about what had happened. He told what spell the panther had been hit with, and what it did. He also told of the decision the adults had made, and how it had been Severus(who was by far the best at mind magic) to be chosen to go with Draco along the bond into Harry's mind.

Harry nodded, finding that it did make sense, in an eerie sort of way. This just proved that the Professor had a heart. And it scared the panther a little to admit that. However, they didn't have any more time to reflect, for another strand of memory was coming towards them. This one seemed to be light pink, and a bit fluffy. How odd.

***

Back in the real world

A slender man with slightly graying hair walked into the Infirmary, to find another man of the same age sitting in a chair near an occupied bed. The man with the grayind hair walked over, and murmured "I heard what happened from Albus. How is he, Padfoot?" Sirius looked up with haunted eyes, and murmured "I don't know Moony. I should be the one to help Harry through this. After all, it was my fault that Harry was pretty much alone with that man! I would help Harry, if I knew mind magic." Remeus nodded, knowing that his friend would do anything for the boy, whatever debt he felt he owed. Speaking of which.

"Sirius, it was not your fault that Harry got hit with the spell. Even if you had been there, what could you have done but gotten yourself killed? In front of Harry I might add? Lucius was set-minded in punishing his own son, just because Draco wouldn't join him as a Death Eater! From what I know of Harry, he would have sent you to get help simply so that he could do something on his own. He never abandons a friend, no matter how new they are." Sirius blinked at Remeus' speech, surprised to say the least. But now that Moony said it, it did make some sense. Padfoot never listened to Snape if he could help it, which was why he hadn't believed him when the man said it hadn't been his fault. Friends were a different matter entirely. You could trust them.

Sirius turned back to the bed, not even noticing when Moony pulled up a chair to wait with him. The panther was merely an innocent child. Even if they hadn't loved him, they would have worried. No child should have to suffer from bad memories, let alone relive them in their full intensity. So the two friends sat, and wait for either Harry to awake, or for the week to end.

***

In the memory world

"Care to tell us why all your memories concerning Granger, Weasley's sister and Chang were right in a row?" asked Draco, whose head was pounding from seeing too much. He was pressing up against Harry though, so as to provide comfort. Seeing the snake nearly killing Harry had made his heart pound, and he was cursing Gryffindor bravery for being so fool-hardy in nature. Harry blushed slightly, and Draco shook his head "Never mind." Severus seemed to agree with this.

Severus was intrigued. He had seen a lot, and gained a lot of information. He now knew without doubt who had been in his supply store that year. He would have to have a talk with Granger about that, but wouldn't punish her too lightly. After all Polyjuice Potion was N.E.W.T. level, and Severus was very impressed that a second year had pulled it off. He was also pleased that he could teach that girl, even if she was a complete know-it-all. He would also talk to Potter about using fireworks to sabotage a class. That boy had too much blind courage to suit him!

The three sat(or in Sev's case stood) in silence for a few minutes. It wasn't long, however, before a strand of memory approached them. This one was sinister black with red shot through it. Harry's eyes grew wide as he sensed what it was. The last thing they all heard him say before the memory entwined around them was "Not that one!"

~"Lily! Lily it's him, he's here! Get Harry and go. Go! I'll hold him off!" could be heard. An image floated in of a baby barely over a year old laying in a crib. A door opened, and a very pretty lady with red hair and green eyes ran in. Lily. She picked up the baby, who was obviously Harry(without the scar) and whispered "I'll have no time to get out. So I bequeath to you, my son, the only protection I can. My love." With that Lily closed her eyes, and briefly glowed white, turning Harry white as well. When the spell was finished, she moved away from the crib towards the stairs. But just then she saw her worst nightmare coming up them. Voldemort, whose eyes were faintly red. Those eyes were attempting to pin Lily and her child. Lily quickly backed up, putting Harry in the crib before running to block the Dark Wizard. "Not Harry! Not my Harry!" she cried. "Move aside woman." Voldemort hissed. Lily refused to move, so he ended up killing her first. He then turned to Harry with an evil smile on his face. He cast the deadly Killing Curse, but it backfired on him. The last bit of the memory was of a green flash and blinding pain.~

As they came out of the memory, Harry fell to his hands and knees, trying not to wretch with pain and horror. He soon found himself picked up and hugged tightly. Not by small furry arms, but by strong, large arms. He looked up slightly, startled to see it was the Professor who was hugging him. Not just that, but he had tears in his eyes. Harry realized that he too was crying. He also realized that Severus was providing silent comfort, and Harry was glad for it.

It lasted a few minutes before they broke apart. Harry wiped at his eyes, looking embarrassed. Draco sent 'Don't be ashamed. After seeing that your allowed to cry'. Severus then spoke, saying "Not a word of this to anyone, understand?" Both children nodded. The rest of the incoming memories seemed to pale in significance to the one of his mother's death. Though none realized it, the end of the week was fast approaching. The last memory before the spell ended was a golden thread, but hazy as if it was a half-remembered dream.

~Harry was walking down the hallways of Hogwarts. According to certain items of apparel, he was in third year. The child look slightly lost as he continued wandering. As he passed a window, it was obvious that it was daytime. A weekend perhaps? If so, then why was Harry wandering the corridors instead of outside playing. The look on his face almost seemed as if he was in a trance. As he went down one corridor, a door seemed to appear to his right. Harry turned and entered the door. Inside it was incredible.

It was a large room, though not nearly the size of the Great Hall. Four life sized portraits were hanging on one wall. Two were of male the other two females. As he read the name-plates under the portraits, he was shocked to find that they were of the Four Founders. Godric Gryffindor look strong, with a mane of red hair. He wore a gold color robe with a red Gryffindor lion emblazoned on the front. Helga Hufflepuff was a little bit short, and a little bit dumpy. She reminded one of a favorite aunt or grandmother, for her smile was loving and gentle. She wore a robe of yellow with a black badger on the front. Rowena Ravenclaw seemed very intelligent, and highly daunting. Her robe was blue with a bronze hawk on the front. Most daunting and stormy of all was Salazar Slytherin. But he also seemed noble and sad. His robe was silver with a green snake on the front.

Harry just gaped in wonder, having already shut the door behind him and walked in. Besides the portraits the room seemed rather empty. A voice spoke soon however, making Harry jump a mile. It was a calm, rational voice, coming from Rowena "A young lion has found it's way into our room." The eyes seemed to pierce Harry straight to his soul. Another voice sounded, this time a tender, loving voice from Helga "Aye, a very young lion. Why is he here? Did the poor child get lost?"

Harry bristled slightly at being called a child. He had never truly been a child since before he turned five. However, he calmed at seeing Helga's gentle face. It made him feel warm inside. A third voice spoke, this one strong but placing medium in the pitch scale; Godric "Nay, Helga. He was led here. By what, I'm not sure. But he seemed as if in a daze when he first came in." The final voice, Salazar's, was remarkably like Snape's smooth silk voice. Except it was even lower pitched, threatening to break the bass range "Indeed yes. But if he is in here, does that mean he is the one? The one the 'prophecy' talked about?"

Harry blinked, confused. What 'prophecy' were they talking about? Godric spoke "Most likely, for you know the spells we all put on this room would prevent any other from entering. Even the Head-Master/Mistress knows not of this room." Then he turned to Harry "Child, you likely know us as the Founders. Indeed we were, but we were also people. Salazar would likely be known for making that blaster Chamber. But afterwards, he regretted it. He also has stated that any heir of his that turned to evil would be renounced fully of all but blood and the powers there-of." Harry nodded, this made sense. So Tom was only heir by blood, but not in deed or name? Interesting.

Salazar spoke sharply "I knew that my narrow-mindedness would effect later generations. But until I died I did not have the for-sight to realize how far it would go. By then, however it was too late. What remained of our spirits, however, entered these portraits. From there a single prophecy came to us. It stated, and we all quote:" from there all four Founders spoke

"When the world seems lost to evil, a child shall come

Though destined to defeat the evil once as an infant, his true powers cannot be known till after

He will suffer greatly after the first defeat, but will retain innocence and purity of the heart

This will be needed for the last confrontation between good and evil.

The child shall be named Heir of Hogwarts."

Harry was stunned, for that seemed to describe him! Not that he would consider himself pure of heart, but his friends had told him he had seemed mainly untouched by what had happened after he'd lost his family. The Founders saw his stunned look, and smiled to themselves. They said "You are the Heir then. Good luck to you, child. May you retain your innocence for a long time." Harry walked out, still looking stunned. He closed the door behind him before realizing what he was doing. He turned swiftly, but the door was already gone. The scene faded on his disappointed face.~

The End.
End Notes:
Well, I hope I ended it better then last time. You'll have to wait till next chapter to see Harry's awakening. Yes Lily's death was partially quoted from PoA. But I needed an excuse for a hug prompted by Sev. I hope it wasn't too mushy for you cynic-Sev loving fans :


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1832