Two Hawks Hunting by Snapegirl
Past Featured StorySummary: Sequel to Broken Wings! Harry & Severus quest for the remaining Horcruxes. Can they fulfill the prophecy of Two Hawks Hunting and destroy Voldemort forever? AU, pre-HBP, HBP/DH noncompliant! No slash, mentor/guardian fic!
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Bellatrix, Dumbledore, Hagrid, Hedwig, Hermione, Lucius, Original Character, Other, Remus, Sirius, Voldemort, Wormtail
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Azkaban Character, Creature!fic, Kidnapped
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Character Death, Profanity, Romance/Het, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: Broken Wings
Chapters: 63 Completed: Yes Word count: 323717 Read: 313409 Published: 22 May 2009 Updated: 03 May 2010
The New Headmaster by Snapegirl
Author's Notes:
Severus finally agrees to Albus' proposal after Harry convinces him to do so.

Part Three--Sanctuary

47

The New Headmaster

One week later

Tuesday morning:

Harry woke early on Tuesday and dressed in his best robes and a suit and tie, for he wished to look presentable for his meeting with Fudge. Previously, he and the Minister had not seen eye to eye over Voldemort returning, but that was now a moot point and Harry was willing to overlook Fudge’s obtuseness in order to get to speak with him. He hoped that the Minister would be willing to listen to him, and show the wolfen the respect they deserved and free them from the Forest of the Night. Besides it being the fair and honorable thing to do, it was also the only way he might get to be together with Meadowsweet again.

He fingered the bracelet made of her hair and the moonstone entwined in it. Sometimes he could almost hear her voice in his mind when he touched it, and just touching it made him shiver with longing. Fudge has to understand. He just has to. We owe the wolfen a great debt. Without them we would have never completed the Horcrux quest. In fact, Darkmoon destroyed one of the Horcruxes for us. They’re not monsters, not like the werewolves who sired them. They deserve a chance to live free, like everyone else.

After combing his hair flat, he hurried down to breakfast, finding Severus already awake making eggs, toast, and bacon for them both. “I could have cooked today,” he said upon seeing his father beside the stove.

“I felt like it,” replied Severus, turning the bacon. “You can cook a meal tomorrow.”

“All right,” Harry agreed, pouring himself a glass of orange juice. It was a novelty he still hadn’t quite gotten used to, someone else in the house doing the cooking. Or the cleaning.

“Are you all set to visit the Minister?” Severus asked after they had finished their breakfast and had the dishes washing in the sink with a cleaning charm.

“Yes, Sev. I just hope he listens to what we have to say to him about the wolfen.”

“Harry, you must be careful how you present the idea to him. You mustn’t accuse him of anything, even though what he did was wrong,” Severus cautioned. “Fudge is a very traditional and paranoid wizard, he will not like it if you lecture him, though he deserves to have his ears blistered. You must be respectful, do you understand?”

“Yes. I’ll try and control my temper,” Harry acquiesced. “If I . . .start to lose it can you just . . .kick me under the table or cough or something?”

“Yes,” Severus nodded. “Remember, the more reasonable you are, the more likely Fudge will listen to you. You catch more pixies with honey than vinegar.”

Harry cocked his head. “Don’t you mean flies, Sev?”

“In the Muggle world, it’s flies. In the wizarding world, it’s pixies.” He reached out and retied Harry’s gold tie with the Gryffindor crest. “There. Now, let us Floo to the Ministry.”

They arrived in the midst of the midmorning traffic, wizards and witches were Flooing from various fireplaces all over Britain and Apparating at certain designated Apparition points as well, coming to work or going out to lunch. Amid all the hustle and bustle, no one really noticed Harry and Severus walking to the elevator and taking it to the Minister of Magic’s office level.

As they walked down the corridor, Harry felt his stomach start to knot up as it always did when he was nervous or excited, and he fingered the moonstone bracelet and forced himself to breathe normally. Really, there was no reason for him to be so nervous. He had met Fudge before and the man had never really impressed him. He also was now the true hero of the wizarding world and had the support of the other hero of the wizarding world as well. Together, Fudge would not dare disregard their request.

He eyed Severus, who was dressed in soft emerald green robes and a black suit with a snakeskin patterned tie. Severus did not look at all nervous, he wore his calm inscrutable mask. He walked slowly and deliberately down the corridor, and Harry frced himself to match that pace, though he longed to dash down the hall.

When they arrived in the lavender and gold office, the secretary witch looked up from her appointment book and said in an awe-stricken tone, “As I live and breathe, it’s Harry Potter and Severus Snape!” This was a different witch than the one they had made the appointment with before. “How may I help you, gentlemen?”

“We have an appointment with the Minister at ten-thirty or eleven,” Severus said smoothly.

The secretary checked the appointment book. “Yes, but . . .I’m afraid we must reschedule. The Minister had an emergency meeting with his Cabinet and is running late. And we can’t fit you in afterwards because he has to meet with the Committee of International Magical Relations, they’re hosting a benefit this year and wish his opinion on a few things.”

Harry felt betrayed and angry. Here he had waited all week to see the Minister, and had put off writing to Sasha because he had wanted to send her good news about the meeting and now they had to reschedule because of some lousy meeting that had run overtime. “But ma’am, we’ve been waiting all week to see the Minister. It’s very important that we speak with him for just a few minutes. I don’t intend to take up much of his time.”

“I’m sorry, Mr. Potter, but I have strict orders about the Minister’s schedule and cannot bend it, even for you.”

“Five minutes, that’s all I want,” Harry snapped.

The secretary frowned regretfully. “I can’t help you. Now, why don’t we see what I have open next week?” She began to peruse the calendar.

Harry gritted his teeth, his frustration spiking. He opened his mouth to tell her he didn’t want to be shuffled about like a piece of parchment when Severus deliberately trod on his foot. He bit back a yelp and turned to glare at his father, when he recalled Severus’ injunction and subsided, flushing.

“We will take the first available opening,” Severus interjected.

“That would be Monday morning, nine o’clock. The first appointment of the day.”

“Very good. Thank you, madam.” Then he took his son firmly by the elbow and led him from the office.

Once out of sight, he turned to the agitated and disappointed teen and said sternly, “Harry, what about you agreeing to be polite and reasonable?”

“You said to be that way to the Minister. Who then decides to just cancel us like an inconvenience! I’ve been waiting forever to see him. Why didn’t they bloody call us before instead of making us Floo over here for nothing?”

“Perhaps the secretary hoped that he could yet keep the appointment if he got out of his other meeting sooner.”

“Why couldn’t they just tell those other people to wait and then see us? That would have been fairer than just rescheduling us.” Harry sulked.

“Stop that,” Severus scolded. “Just because you’re a hero again doesn’t mean you ought to act like a pompous ass and expect preferential treatment. The Minister is a busy man, running the country, and unfortunately, some things take precedence over your needs.”

“This bloody sucks!” Harry muttered under his breath.

Severus shot him a Look. “Mind your mouth, fledgling. It does no good to sulk and mope. Let’s go home.”

“Fine. I should have known it would be a bloody waste of time,” Harry growled, still fuming.

Severus said nothing, not wishing to get into a quarrel in public.

Once they arrived home, Harry headed up to his room without saying anything.

Severus let him go, though the boy’s attitude made Snape want to shake him. He had thought Harry had learned to deal with setbacks much better than this. Then again, he knew the boy had been eagerly awaiting the chance to argue his case with the Minister and he also knew Harry was pining for Meadowsweet. Not being able to see the girl he loved was hard on him, especially now that he had a chance to brood over her.

The Potions Master sighed and wondered if it might do Harry good to have some of his friends over. He decided to bring that up later and went to his lab to brew some potions.

Meanwhile, Harry paced and fumed for a bit more until Hedwig woke up and crossly ordered him to quit stomping about like an elephant having a tantrum and leave her to sleep in peace. Then he threw himself into a chair, muttering angrily under his breath about what an inconsiderate ass Fudge was and how he probably had done it on purpose before finally calming down.

Then he got out his quill and super fine ink and began to pen a letter to Meadowsweet.

Dear Sasha,

Sorry I haven’t written to you sooner. I haven’t forgotten about you or the promise I made to Darkmoon. Matter of fact, I think about you almost everyday, and if I could have, I would have resolved this damn situation a week ago. But my Minister has been too busy to talk with me and I went to keep my appointment with him this morning only to find out that we had to reschedule because he was running late and had to meet with some other committee and had no more room to fit us in today.

I can’t believe he would just blow us off like that. All I wanted was five damn minutes to present my case and that’s it. I’m beginning to wonder if he’s avoiding us. Does he suspect what we wish to talk about and thinks he can avoid it by shuffling us all over the place?

I tell you, Sasha, I’m so frustrated that if I were in my hawk form I’d probably be molting out of stress. I expected this to be resolved a week ago and instead it’s dragging on through the summer. If I could, I would fly right back across the Channel and to the Forest of the Night today. I miss you so much!

Sometimes I lie awake at night and imagine I am back in Sylvanor, sleeping in your hut. Spinner’s End is a nice place and Severus and I are getting on well, but there are times I long to fly through the trees and feel the wind whistle through my wings so much that I almost cannot bear it. I don’t want to tell Severus that I’m going stir crazy . . .I don’t want him to think I don’t appreciate him giving me a roof over my head and especially my own room. He’s been more than generous to me.

Since coming home, I’ve done little but study and do my summer homework assignments. I know that’s necessary, but I miss the days of flying and hunting with Warrior, though not being hunted by werewolves and maldecorvae. I don’t know why I feel so . . .restless and . . .discontent. Shouldn’t I be happy now that Voldy is gone and so are his Death Eaters. Sev and I won a great victory and now we can rest and go back to living a normal life, right?

Only problem is, I don’t know what’s normal any more. I never had a normal life at all and now that I can have it, I don’t know what to do with it. I sound like an idiot, don’t I? Whining about not having to fight dark wizards. I’m such a git!

Wish you were here.

As soon as I speak to the Minister, I’ll let you know. I won’t let him avoid me forever. One way or another, I’ll see this resolved before the end of July. I promise you on my wizard’s honor. Fudge owes me that much.

Dream of me the way I do you, Meadowsweet.

Always yours,

Harry

After he had sealed the envelope, he turned to Hedwig and asked softly, “Hedwig? Are you awake? Would you please do me a favor and deliver this letter? It’s for Meadowsweet.”

The owl stirred upon her perch and he waited until she opened one golden eye and regarded him a bit irritatedly. You disturb my rest and now you ask me a favor? Honestly, has Severus taught you no manners, fledgling?

“Sorry. I didn’t mean to wake you, I just . . .I was just angry because the Minister refused to see me this morning.”

Refused to see you? Why?

Harry explained about the rescheduled appointment. “It’s really bugging me, Hedwig, because I was hoping to get the wolfen freed and have Jasper’s patent approved right away. I thought now that Voldemort was gone, Fudge would respect me, but I guess not. I think he may be avoiding me.”

The owl hooted softly. Perhaps you are right. Or perhaps he is simply overwhelmed with obligations. Either way it does you no good to throw fits, Harry. Where is the letter to Meadowsweet? I must go now if I am to get back by tomorrow morning.

“Here,” he carefully slipped the envelope into a carrying cylinder and fastened it to her leg. “Don’t rush home too soon and risk hurting yourself, Hedwig. Fly safe and return safe.”

Always, fledgling. She gave him a fond nip on the ear before departing out the window.

Harry flung himself on the bed and stared up at the cloud painted walls and ceiling. Then he closed his eyes and tried to meditate.

* * * * * *

Later that night, during supper, Harry apologized to Severus for his bad temper, then after he had helped to wash the dishes, asked the older wizard if he had decided what he was going to do about Dumbledore’s offer. “I really think you should take it, Sev. I mean, there’s nobody left of the staff of Hogwarts who would do as good a job as you. And I’m not just saying that ‘cause you can make kids behave. I think it’s time Hogwarts had somebody running it who can . . .bring all the Houses together and keep them that way. The way the Founders intended. I’ve been reading up on them and I learned that they were all friends with each other and in the beginning all the Founders taught every student, the only exceptions being when they found a student who had a special talent for something and they took them as their special apprentice.”

“Where did you read this? That’s not been detailed in Hogwarts:A History.”

“I read it in another book The Four Founders—An In Depth Look by Professor Thoth,” Harry replied. “It also said that Salazar Slytherin didn’t hate Muggleborns, he hated the fact that most of the Muggleborns in that time period were very superstitious and didn’t know how to read or write and kept insisting they were cursed and some of them tried to betray the wizards and set witch hunters on them. That’s why they had to keep the location of Hogwarts a secret. He claimed it was a security risk to keep admitting Muggleborns who might betray them to witch hunters because they were influenced by religion or family. He thought you couldn’t trust most of them.”

“I have read that also. Salazar Slytherin was a complex man, he was not the simple bigot that many people believe. He was not like Godric Gryffindor, who came from a noble family and was trained as a knight before he discovered he was a wizard. Salazar came from a merchant family, well respected, but not titled. Rowena Ravenclaw was a noble lady, but Helga Hufflepuff was born in a monastery by a woman who was passing by and had to seek shelter there during a storm. Her mother died and the monks then gave her to an abbey, and luckily the Mother Abbess there knew the signs of one who was Gifted and brought her up accordingly.”

“I read about that too. That’s why she preferred brown and yellow colors and loyalty and hardwork above all other virtues,” Harry said. “But seriously, Sev, I think you should accept the offer. Now that you’ve shown the world that Slytherins aren’t all dark and evil and you’re a hero, people will be happy you’ve been elected to take Dumbledore’s place. The Slytherins will certainly trust you more than they ever trusted Dumbledore and that’s a great thing.”

Harry gazed at his father earnestly, his green eyes full of admiration, and Severus found himself feeling oddly proud and happy that his son thought him worthy of such a position. “Do you truly think the students would be happy to have their snarky Potions professor as their Headmaster?”

“They might not at first, but that’s because none of them know you like I do. Well, except maybe Jace and Vince. You don’t have to play the nasty spy anymore, Sev. Now you can just be . . .yourself.”

“Dare I ask what that self is?”

“A strict bastard when necessary, but fair.” Harry said honestly. “One who won’t hesitate to hand out detentions even to his favorite students.”

Snape’s eyebrow rose into his hair. “What students are you implying I favor?”

“Well, Ron and I used to think you favored Malfoy, but I know that’s not so after you nailed his arse for hurting me when I was a hawk,” Harry answered. “But now I think students might figure that you favor me, since I’m now your son.”

“I hope you’re not expecting any preferential treatment.”

“Of course not. You’d never favor me, Sev, you don’t even now, when we’re not in school.”

“I am glad you know that. Because if you ever thought I would, Headmaster or not, you would be in for a rude awakening, Mr. Potter-Snape.”

Harry chuckled and held up his hands. “Relax, Warrior. I’m not dumb, and I know better. I don’t want preferential treatment anyhow. I never did, even though half the teachers at school thought I deserved some for being the Boy Who Lived or because they felt sorry for me being an orphan or whatever. It always made me feel uncomfortable.”

“Well, you needn’t worry about it from me,” Severus said simply. “I am going to pay a visit to the Headmaster tomorrow morning, he should still be at Hogwarts, packing and finalizing things.”

“May I come? I don’t need to be in on the meeting, but . . .I am going kind of stir crazy not flying all the time.” Harry admitted softly.

“Why didn’t you tell me this before? I would have arranged some time for you to transform and fly, Harry.”

Harry shrugged. “Didn’t want to bother you.”

“Harry, informing me that your claustrophobia is acting up because you’ve been cooped up too long is not bothering me.”

“I’m not claustrophobic, Severus!” Harry objected sharply.

“It’s nothing to be ashamed of, Harry. Raised as you were, it’s to be expected that you would suffer from some kind of phobia,” Severus soothed.

“I’m not. I just get . . .anxious when I’m indoors for days at a time. So can I come? I’ll become Freedom and fly around the grounds and have tea and scones with Hagrid while you and the professor talk.”

“Very well. And next time you feel . . .anxious, son, I expect you to tell me. Moving here does not mean you need to keep to yourself all the time. You’re not forbidden to go outside or talk to other people. In fact, if you’re friendly with a few neighbors that will help maintain the fiction that you’re as normal as they are.”

“Are there any other kids around here?”

“Yes, two, I think across the street. I have no objections to your making friends with them.”

“Do you talk with the neighbors?”

“Of course I do. I’m not having a party and inviting them over, but I am civil and polite to them and know their names and what they do for a living. They believe that I teach at a boarding school in Scotland, which is true. If you want, you can tell them that you are my newly adopted ward, my son, whose parents passed away recently and also attend the same school I currently teach at. That way we will keep down gossip and you needn’t fear any rumors about how weird we are.”

“Okay. I’ll do that.” Harry said. He had never had any Muggle friends before, mostly because the kids in his neighborhood were accustomed to thinking he was a freak and a juvenile delinquent with a prison record, and also because Dudley had scared away anyone who showed the smallest bit of interest in Harry. He had beaten up Mark Evans when he caught Mark lending Harry a comic book and after that Mark had stayed away. Harry quickly decided it wasn’t worth it to have friends for the summer.

But now things were different and maybe for once he could have the best of both worlds.

Severus eyed him with concern, thinking that he had to convince the boy to see a Mind Healer soon. The mild claustrophobia could become severe if not treated and so could Harry’s fear of the dark. It was past time Harry got the help he needed for himself, and Severus resolved to speak with him again about it after he had visited Dumbledore.

* * * * * * *

The next morning found both Snapes Flooing to Hogwarts into the Potion Master’s quarters. They then took the stairs to the upper levels of the castle and Harry left Severus at the stone gargoyle and went outside and became Freedom in an eyeblink.

Within moments, the red-tailed hawk had soared into the sky, giving his signature screech of delight as he glided upon a thermal. It had been a week since he’d flown and he had missed the sky something fierce. He looped about the castle and then glided over to Hagrid’s hut. He hoped the gamekeeper was at home, for he wished to surprise the big man.

Hedwig had returned early that morning and was now sleeping, everyone was well in Sylvanor and Sasha had promised to write back soon. The wolfen had howled to celebrate their victory and Darkmoon had told Hedwig to tell Harry that since the Dark Lord’s defeat, there had been no more raids upon the forest by Dracula’s vampires.

Harry was relieved to hear that all the wolfen were okay, but that only made him even more impatient to secure that coveted appointment with Fudge. He flew lazily in spirals over Hagrid’s home, noting with pleasure the puffs of gray smoke emerging from the chimney. Hagrid was at home. Suppressing a wicked chuckle, Freedom flew into the big man’s open kitchen window.

* * * * * *

Severus knocked at the office door and was greeted by a cheerful, “Come in.”

He found the old wizard kneeling beside a box and carefully placing some of his memorabilia and photos inside. He looked rather careworn, his hat was askew and his robes had crumbs on them he hadn’t bothered to brush away.

He brightened when he saw who was standing in the doorway. “Severus! Good morning! I was just about to take a break for a bite to eat. Care to join me for breakfast?” He waved a hand at the office, which looked like a tornado had struck it. Boxes and rolls of Spell-o-tape and old rags were strewn everywhere, shelves were half emptied and Dumbledore looked like he had gone and stuck his finger in an outlet, his hair wa standing up all over his head. “I’m having a hard time deciding what I wish to take and what I wish to leave. I have gathered so many things over the years, I never realized just how much until now, when I have to remove it.”

Severus looked about slowly. “Why don’t you let the house elves help you pack, Albus? They could help you organize things.”

“I know, but I wished to try and do it on my own. I can’t be depending on the house elves for everything now, since I have sacrificed my magic, you know.” The old wizard stood up, grimacing slightly.

“Are you all right?”

“Yes, my lower back twinges every now and then.” Dumbledore waved him off. “I just need to stretch.” He looked about the room. “Well, I have made a bit of a dent in it.”

Severus blinked. If this was a dent in it, he would have hated to known what it had looked like before. Still, one had to give the old boy points for trying.

“Perhaps we might adjourn to my parlour, Severus?” suggested the former Headmaster. “It’s much less dusty in there.”

They exited the office through a secret panel and entered the Headmaster’s quarters. These had apparently already been packed, since the place was neat, if bare, and Severus and Albus sat down at the small table and Albus called a house elf to bring them some breakfast.

The two ate companionably and then Severus said, “I assume you know the reason I have come, Albus.”

The old wizard’s eyes began to sparkle. “You’ve come to accept my offer, haven’t you?”

“I have.”

A grin split Albus’ beard. “Magnificent! I knew you would come round eventually, Severus. I really do feel you are most suited for this position.”

“So does Harry,” Severus commented wryly.

“And he would be right. Now wait just a moment and let me fetch the papers. I had them right on the top of my desk.” Dumbledore rose and slipped back into the office.

After several minutes he returned with a sheaf of parchment and a quill and ink. “Here we go. These are the documents stating that I am resigning my position due to unforeseen circumstances and am recommending you as my replacement. I have had Minerva sign to say that she supports my decision and that I am of sound mind and body in doing so. You may sign here, Severus.” He indicated a line at the bottom of the parchment.

Severus took it and read it before he signed. It basically stated that Albus was resigning and had picked to succeed him one Severus Tobias Snape, Hogwarts Potions Master, and the hero of the Second Voldemort War. The reticent wizard grimaced at that term, but allowed it to go unremarked and signed his name with a flourish accepting the appointment.

“Now I shall send these to the Ministry to be filed and that will be that. I can run an article in the paper so that people know you are taking the reins from me, and now we can discuss school policies and the Board of Governors and so forth.” Albus said eagerly. “It may take you some time to absorb it all, my boy, but I shall help you as best I can.”

They talked for three hours, Albus explaining how each successive Headmaster had implemented his own academic policy along with the approved school curriculum. “I found no reason to alter the one my predecessor Headmaster Dippet employed, but with this new year, you may feel differently.”

“Actually, I have been considering a few things that it might be useful to add to the curriculum,” Severus began.

“Such as?”

“I believe it would benefit the purebloods from wizarding families to take mandatory Muggle Studies during all their years at Hogwarts, since it would help them understand and learn how to tolerate Muggles and Muggleborns. Most of their intolerance comes from lack of exposure and ignorance. They believe Muggles are inferior because their parents have told them so, and they have never even met a Muggle or studied their culture. Ignorance breeds intolerance. I wish to show them that there is not as much difference between wizard and Muggle as they might think.”

“That is most enlightening, Severus! I’m sure Charity Burbage will be very happy to oblige you.”

“Yes. I also wish to implement a new class for the Muggleborn and half-blood students raised primarily Muggle, as I was and Harry also. In my House, I have always given extra tutoring to those Muggleborns who happen to be Sorted there, beginning with basic writing practice. I wish to expand that tutoring and make it into a class to introduce Muggleborns to the wizarding world and help them adjust better. It would cover basic things, like how to wear robes correctly and write using a parchment and a quill instead of paper and pens and also customs of pureblood wizarding families, recreational activities and expressions, fables and history, all things which make a Muggleborn stand out like a sore thumb when they first arrive. It would help their transition from the Muggle world of science and technology to magic much easier.”

“You know, I don’t know why I never thought of that. You are very clever, Severus.”

“You never thought of it, perhaps, because you yourself never had to acclimate to our world, whereas I have,” Severus pointed out.

“True. Who will you be hiring to teach that class?”

“Myself, with Harry as my assistant,” answered Severus. “Right now, I am the only person on staff qualified enough to teach it, and Harry can be my apprentice in this class as well as continue to assist the new potions professor if he wishes. I plan on holding this class once a week as a double period. The same will be true for Muggle Studies. I think I shall call this class Wizarding Studies.”

“Do you think you can handle a class with all your other duties?”

Severus nodded. “With Harry assisting, I shall. You handled a war, Albus, I think I can handle some extra homework assignments and tests.”

“Glad to hear it. Now, you do have some vacant staff positions to fill,” Albus said. “Currently, you shall need a Transfiguration teacher and Head of Gryffindor to take Minerva’s place. I asked her whom she might recommend and she suggested one of the older Weasley boys.”

“Charles or William,” Severus mused. “I would rather have Charlie, he is single and has suffered a recent injury that may not lend itself to his current dragon-taming profession. William has a good job with Gringotts, I doubt if he would leave it to teach, since it’s a major salary cut. Charlie gets hazardous duty pay, but he may wish for something a bit more stable right now. He is level-headed and calm, and I believe he will do well as Gryffindor Head, he knows how to be responsible and to exert authority without being arrogant and he has no prejudices about Slytherins that I know of. I assume he must have gotten above average on his NEWTS for Minerva to recommend him as her replacement.”

“Yes. That’s on his file,” Dumbledore said. “I think Charlie is a wise choice.”

“I shall send him an owl this afternoon and see what he says,” Severus told him.

“You also have vacancies in Defense Against the Dark Arts, which no longer has a curse associated with it, and—”

“Potions, I know. That one I may be able to suggest a former student of mine who has just completed his Mastery apprenticeship,” Severus told Dumbledore. “Gabriel Stevens—”

“Wait just a moment, Severus. I . . .er . . .sort of took the liberty of . . .helping you out and have already . . .spoken to a likely candidate to fill your position. I do believe you’ve met before.”

Severus frowned. “Who are you talking about?”

“She told me you met in Rome, at a Potions Master convention long ago, though she has never forgotten you. She did not attend Hogwarts, but has since moved back to Britain to take care of her aging father, Angus. She is Minerva’s neice—”

“Thea! Thea McGonagall!” Severus gasped.

He felt his heart thunder in his chest like a runaway train. Thea . . .his Thea, the woman who had haunted his dreams for years, was now to be Potions Mistress under him. There was no question of her suitability, he had known even then that she was a genius with a cauldron, perhaps even his equal.

Thea. The only woman I ever allowed to get close to me besides Lily. The only woman I have ever loved since Lily left me.

He clenched his jaw. Almost he cried, No, Albus! I shall not have her here. I cannot. But he said nothing. He did not even know if Thea cared for him any longer. It had been years since they had seen each other and his leaving had been abrupt. He had never heard from her since and assumed she had gone back to Italy and taken a position at their Institute of Magic and perhaps gotten married.

“You said she’s returned to take care of her father. Is she married?”

“I don’t believe so. Minerva used to joke that she was married to her cauldron, much like you, Severus. Apparently, he mother passed away some years ago and her father moved back to Scotland because he could not bear staying in Rome without his wife. Thea stayed on in Italy, I think she was a private tutor to a wealthy Roman family, but now she’s come to Britain and was seeking employment, she has very good references. I thought she would do well here and have extended an invitation for her to join our staff. I hope you don’t mind, Severus. I thought I would save you some time by appointing her.”

Severus eyed him sharply, wondering if Dumbledore suspected something between them. He wouldn’t put it past the old fox to start playing matchmaker. “Thank you, Albus. But next time please speak to me before you do something like that.”

“I’m sorry if I offended you.”

“No, it’s all right. Thea McGonagall is a perfectly acceptable candidate for Potions Mistress.” Severus sighed. Though I fear she will make my life complicated in ways I can’t even begin to imagine. I wonder if she still looks the same? And if she still remembers Rome fondly? He shook his head. There was no sense meandering down memory lane. Hiring Thea as Potions Mistress was purely a professional move, it was not so he would have an excuse to look at her every day. Merlin only knew if she despised him for leaving her that way. He almost wished she were married. But at the same time his heart rejoiced that she was not.

“The only problem is that now I need a replacement Head of Slytherin House,” Severus stated. “Since Thea never attended Hogwarts, she can’t be Head of a House.”

“Whom did you have in mind?”

Severus thought. Only one person came to mind. “I think Vincent Crabbe the elder will serve as a good Head, now that he is pardoned by the Ministry and has taken an Oath of Loyalty to the government.” Fudge had pardoned all those who had taken part in the Final Battle against Voldemort if they had been Death Eaters, and required them to swear a binding magical Oath of Loyalty, pledging to never raise a wand against any wizard of the Light again, or else go to Azkaban. Crabbe senior had sworn willingly.

“I never thought of him. What a novel idea.”

“Not only will he be a good role model for my Slytherins, but he could also teach an elective, such as Enchanting Objects or Metalsmithing, since he is a mage smith by trade. I think that would be a good branch of magic for students to study. If he consents to take the post, that is.”

“I agree. I think you shall implement many wonderful changes next year and really shock the pants off Fudge and the old buggers in the Board of Governors.” Dumbledore sounded positively gleeful.

“For the last position, I think I shall propose the return of Auror Remus Lupin. Since his heroic defeat of Greyback and all, there should be no objection to a werewolf teaching, especially not with me or Thea brewing the Wolfsbane each month. He has recently asked Nymphadora Tonks to marry him and I think he would prefer a job that requires less traveling and risk and so would she.” Severus said. And if Harry gets the Minister to allow the wolfen to leave the Forest of the Night, they will be required to attend school, and I would prefer if Lupin were around to help them adjust and also to show them that there are decent werewolves as well as evil beasts.

“I am happy to see you letting go of old grudges.”

“Humph! It was Black and Potter I had problems with, Albus, not Lupin. He was not to blame for the prank they pulled, he was not in control of himself. His failure to take the Wolfsbane and his near attack of students was the reason I felt he could not be trusted at school years ago. But I think he will not make that mistake again. In battle he comported himself well and I have no doubt he will do so in the classroom again.”

Albus looked as if he had just received a million lemon drops. “Oh, yes, he certainly will. I look forward to seeing how the new year will unfold for you, Severus. I truly wish you the best. This year, I think, shall be a year of wonders.”

Severus coughed, uncomfortable with the effusive praise Albus was showering on him. All he had done so far was make a few appointments for the staff. It remained to be seen if those appointments would work out. “You are eternally optimistic, Albus,” he said dryly.

“And how else do you think I get through the day?” returned the old wizard.

Severus felt guilty then, recalling all the other had lost. “You are right, forgive me.”

“There is nothing to forgive, old friend. It is time for me to retire and live out the rest of my days in peace. I have waited long for this day and never thought I would see it—a day where Voldemort’s shadow was conquered for good and we can all live in peace at last.”

“Yes. I think we have forgotten what that means and shall have to relearn it.” Severus rose to his feet. “Come, Albus. I shall help you pack, so you’re not here until September.”

“Oh, I doubt it would have taken me all that long,” the other argued.

“No? With the way you were going . . .You might have been done around next Christmas,” snorted the former Potions Master, heading out the door into the office.

Together, the old and new Headmasters set to work, reorganizing the office and packing away a lifetime of memorabilia, while outside in the sky, a red-tailed hawk flew across the grounds, glorying in the rush of the wind and the sun upon his feathers.

The End.
End Notes:
Hi, I know it's been forever since I updated this, but I was trying to finish a holiday fic called Away in A Manger that took me hostage and I didn't want it to drag on till March. If you like AU Sev and small Harry stories, you should check that one out. It's Christmas themed but can be read anytime and is very uplifting.

Hope you enjoyed seeing Severus accept his position and what did you think of his new appointments and classes?

There will be more Sev and Harry interaction as Harry struggles to overcome the phobias of his childhood.

But first, the two veteran Muggle accustomed wizards must help a clueless Albus learn to live without his magic and prosper.

Again, thanks to everyone who has stuck with this fic and I should be posting regular updates now. At least once or twice a week if time permits.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1834