Cherokee Camp by grugster
Summary: After two weeks of torture by Death Eaters, Draco and Harry have to find a way to cope with all their memories. Severus, as their guardian, tries to help and spends some time with them at a therapy camp in the USA. Draco and Harry friendship
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 4th summer
Warnings: Character Death, Torture
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 66 Completed: No Word count: 195045 Read: 233440 Published: 09 Jun 2009 Updated: 15 Apr 2012
Chapter 2 - Arrival by grugster

"Black Hawk," Severus greeted the man who was waiting for them on the Will Rogers World Airport. After their nine hour flight from London to Chicago, going through customs, and catching another flight to Oklahoma, they were all tired and irritable. He was a Native American around the age of forty, at least that's what Harry would have guess. Black Hawk wasn't in traditional native clothing, but nevertheless there was no question of his heritage.

"Night Rain," Black Hawk hugged Severus tightly.

They seem to be very good friends, Harry thought. Severus wasn't a person who let others hug him, and he especially wouldn't look happy about. And, Merlin, he has a Native American name. I'm in hell.

Black Hawk stepped back a little to have a better look at the rest of the small group. "And you must be Draco, right?"

Draco was almost hiding behind Severus. He was unsure around men since they had escaped his father's dungeons. Black Hawk seemed to sense this and tried to keep distance between them, but still offered Draco his hand in greeting. Very hesitantly Draco accepted Black Hawk's hand.

When Black Hawk looked at Harry, Harry looked challenging back into his brown eyes. They can know from the beginning that I'm not here of free will, Harry thought angrily.

"So you are Harry, nice to meet you. Spare your energy to fight me until we get to the camp. We have a long drive in front of us, so we should get started," Black Hawk said and lead them to a dirty, red pickup truck in the parking lot. On its side, the words Awadvdi Tsvsa were printed. What ever it meant, Harry was sure he wouldn't like it.

"Couldn't behave yourself even for the first few minutes, could you, Harry?" Severus asked him without his typical venom; the times when he spat angry insults at Harry were long gone. At the moment, Harry wished the old times were back, so he wouldn't have to feel guilty about insulting Severus' friend with his behavior.

After Severus had thrown his luggage in the bed of the truck, he climbed into the passenger seat. That left only the back for the two teenagers. Harry eyed the small rear-facing bench, which was backed against the rear of the cab, critically. It didn't look very comfortable, even if it did have seatbelts. "Fantastic our asses will be sore before we even arrived at this damn camp," Harry mumbled sullenly to Draco.

"Maybe you should try not to piss them off so soon, Harry. Who knows what crazy rituals they will do to you; just play the nice guy until we get out of here," Draco said while climbing into the truck bed. After they were both in and had buckled up, Black Hawk lifted the tailgate and shut the door on the pickup's cap.

"That's easy for you to say. You even looking forward to going to this camp, right?" Harry asked when the truck started to drive.

Draco looked past Harry and into the distance. "Yes, maybe. Anything away from England is the right thing for me."

"I wish I could see it like that," Harry said thoughtfully. He didn't want to spoil this trip for Draco, but he hated that the adults had again decided what was best for him. First they had sent him to live with relatives who had hated him, and now they had decided that he needed help. I don't need help, just my wand and the opportunity to kill those damn beasts in Azkaban. A life sentence isn't enough punishment for what they did.

When they arrived in the camp after an one hour drive, Harry was really sore, which didn't help his mood. All the good resolutions he had made up at the beginning of the car ride were gone. He had planned to behave and give those people a chance. If they were Severus' friends, they couldn't be so bad. But now his mood was very down, and all he wished for was a plane ticket back to London to tell Albus Dumbledore what he thought about his stupid plan.

Harry looked around. There was a moderate farm house, two big stables, or what ever the big wooden buildings were, and paddocks. Others than that he could just see open land; just like he had seen on the whole drive there. Running away was not an option here.

A gentle but steady hand on his neck guided him in the direction of the house. It was Severus, who now whispered in his ear: "These people are who I call my family, and I want you to behave. They haven't done anything wrong to you, so there is no need for you to hate them already. If you want to be angry at someone, then be angry at me or the Headmaster."

Family? What is he talking about? Harry was confused.

"Severus, it's so good to see you again. It's been over a year we last saw you." An old woman came over to them, and Severus let go of Harry's neck.

"White Cloud." Severus hugged the weathered looking woman. She was sixty, if not older. It seems that they are all American Natives. Maybe a family, Harry thought. Severus grabbed both of the boys behind their backs and shoved them in the direction of the old woman. "These are my boys."

My boys? A year ago Harry would have been shocked by this statement, but now it just made him loose even more of the anger he had felt after the long journey. Severus was the only person who could look without pity at them and who would let them decide what they wanted to tell or not. Having him call them ‘his boys' had caused a warm feeling spread in both of them. It also meant that they had someone at their side who belonged to them. They weren't alone like they had been in the dungeons.

"Oh, I was so curious to meet you two; Severus had told us so much about you." Her smile was intoxicating, and Harry's anger left him completely. There was no pity in her eyes, just happiness. Maybe it isn't such a bad idea to stay here. At least it's a break from all the pitying looks at home, Harry wondered.

"I'm Draco," the blond-haired boy said, and politely offered her his hand, still the polite aristocrat. They hadn't ripped that out of his soul in the dungeons. With women, Draco was much more on ease; at least, if they didn't avert their eyes at seeing his scars. And, to his relief, this women didn't even seem to notice them.

"Nice to meet you, Draco," White Cloud said and shook the hand he had offered to her. "Severus has told me so much about you. And he was right, you are a very polite young man."

Harry shifted backwards a little. What would Severus have told her about him? That he was angry all the time and wanted to kill people? She wouldn't like that much. A hand on his back prevented him from stepping further away. The rest of the adults had closed the gap, and Severus was standing almost behind Harry.

"You must be Harry," White Cloud said, friendly. "I'm glad you decided to visit us."

Visit? Decided? He wished to tell her that it was the opposite, but her warm smile prevented him from speaking his thoughts out loud. It just would hurt her. Severus was right; they hadn't done anything wrong to him, so why should he hurt them?

"We know that it was a hard decision for you to leave England, but we hope you will like it here as well. Severus has always liked to spend some time here," White Cloud said when Harry didn't speak.

"I don't think I belong here," Harry finally said, averting his eyes. It was the truth, and Severus couldn't be angry with him for telling the truth. He hadn't hurt her feelings with this, had he?

"We will see, my boy," the old man that now stood beside his wife said and eyed him friendlily. "I'm Light Arrow, and over there is Red Horse and Rose." The old man pointed at a very big Native American in a dirty apron and a very beautiful young Native woman, both about Severus' age. "You must be hungry after the long journey. There is some stew ready inside."

"Where are the kids?" Severus asked while hugging the old man in greeting.

"They are looking for firewood for the welcome feast tonight with Crying Horse," Light Arrow explained. After Severus had shook hands with Red Horse and had kissed Rose on her cheek, they all went inside to eat.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1844