Cherokee Camp by grugster
Summary: After two weeks of torture by Death Eaters, Draco and Harry have to find a way to cope with all their memories. Severus, as their guardian, tries to help and spends some time with them at a therapy camp in the USA. Draco and Harry friendship
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 4th summer
Warnings: Character Death, Torture
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 66 Completed: No Word count: 195045 Read: 233284 Published: 09 Jun 2009 Updated: 15 Apr 2012
Chapter 3 – The first Shock by grugster

The question of whether or not these people were wizards or Muggles was answered when they entered the house. On the stove stood a pot as big as a cauldron, and a wooden spoon was stirring it magically.

Severus guided the still reluctant Harry in a chair at the large table. White Cloud waved her hand and the stew pot came over to the table. Another wave and the spoon vanished and was replaced by a ladle.

Harry watched fascinated. If they all can do Wandless magic, Harry thought with interest, maybe I can learn it as well. I'll have to ask Severus about it during the next few days.

White Cloud filled each of their plates and then sat down. Harry spiritless pushed the stew around his plate. He hadn't eaten on the plane, and he still wasn't hungry. As his thoughts began to wander, he was back to the dungeons.

Ron's pleading eyes were directed at him, while Draco lay naked, covered in blood and semen, beside him. Harry wished he could have pass out like Draco, but a hard jerk of the hair on his scalp forced him to look back up at his dying friend.

A loud snap pulled him back to the present. Another snap and he looked up at Light Arrow, who was snapping his fingers near Harry's ear. The old man was watching him with a worried look on his face as he calmly said, "Calm down, lad. Falling back into the past doesn't help; try to stay in the here-and-now."

Harry was breathing rapidly and sweated. Severus' hand, which massaged calming circles on the back of his neck, was calming him down. Embarrassed to have shown his weakness, he grabbed for his spoon and started eating. With relief he realized that the others didn't push the situation, and after a short moment Severus' hand vanished from his neck too. These flashbacks were horrible, and Harry was glad that Light Arrow had been able to get him out of it before he had seen Ron dying, again. The meal was calm with everyone eating in silence. Only when the most of them were finished did White Cloud speak again. "After lunch you can move into your rooms and rest for a while. The others will be back in an hour."

Harry had finished his stew because he didn't wanted to draw more attention than he already had done; adults always seemed concerned about him not eating enough. He was looking forward to spending some time with Draco alone and out of the sight of the adults. When they were all finished, Light Arrow and Rose lead Harry, Draco and Severus up the stairs to the bedrooms. "I'm sure you would prefer your old room, Severus," Light Arrow said and opened a door on the left side of the long hall.

"Yes, thank you," Severus said and quickly placed his bag inside the room before rejoining the others. Light Arrow pointed at the door beside Severus' room. "That's my and White Cloud's bedroom. Whenever one of you has a problem, you can come to us; no matter what time it is." Still standing on the same spot Light Arrow turned and opened the door opposite to Severus'. "This is your room, Harry."

"My room?" Harry looked at Draco with panic in his eyes, who also looked scared. "But I always share a room with Draco."

"Not here, Harry." Light Arrow gently pushed Harry into the room while Rose guided Draco down the hall to a room at the other end. Harry struggled against Light Arrow. "No! I won't stay alone! Let me go!"

Light Arrow encircled Harry quickly with his arms, pressing Harry's back against his chest. "Calm down, Harry, and I will explain the reasons for it." His voice was calm and gentle, even when he had to struggle with a panicking teenager.

"No, please..." Harry pleaded desperately. He felt liquid run down his cheeks and hated himself for showing weakness again. He hated it here. Why do they all have to hurt me? I can't sleep alone.

Severus watched Light Arrow as the old man sat down on the bed and cradled Harry in his lap. He was reminded of the times when he was the one Light Arrow had to calm like this. He knew how frightened Harry was, and that he thought he couldn't sleep alone. He knew about his nightmares and flashbacks, but he also knew that Harry couldn't hide behind Draco for his whole life. Light Arrow would calm him down, so he observed the scene passively.

Harry was in panic. On the one hand, he hated to be held like this; all choice of movement was taken away from him. On the other hand, it felt good to have the burden of choosing for himself taken away. Wanting nothing more than to be a child and feel safe, he hadn't felt safe for a long time. Harry could feel Light Arrow's heartbeat and hear the calming words he whispered in his ear. Slowly Harry stopped struggling, but he continued to sob.

"That's it, Harry, relax. I won't hurt you." He spoke very calmly and gently to the frightened child in his lap; his arms never loosening his grip on Harry. "Shh..." When Harry finally stopped struggling, Light Arrow loosened his grip and Harry shifted sidewards in a fetal position on the old man's lap, hiding his face in Light Arrows chest.

"Please, I can't sleep alone. I have to be with Draco," Harry whispered.

"You can sleep alone, Harry, and you will. Severus door is directly opposite to yours and mine isn't far either. As soon as you have a nightmare, or any other problem, we will be there for you. Draco has to learn to live on his own, just as you do. You cannot be there for each other your whole life. We won't separate you completely, Harry, just at night. During the day you can both spend as much time together as you want, and you can visit each other in your rooms as well. This way you both have the possibility to have a place on your own, where you can retreat when you need down time. You need this to find back to yourself and get the power to live on your own."

"You don't understand," Harry mumbled into Light Arrows chest.

"If I had a dollar for every time a child had said that to me, I would be a rich man, Harry. Maybe I don't understand your problem completely right now, but I know that it is unhealthy to depend on another person, who needs help themselves, so deeply. You are strong, Harry. You need your friendship with Draco and nobody is trying to take that away from you, but you are also your own person. I know you have nightmares, and that it made you feel safer when Draco is around at night, but Draco needs time to heal as well. I'm sure he has been happy to help you out of your nightmares, but he has his own problems and needs to concentrate on them, not on you.

Now, we will be here to help you. There is a spell on each room to inform me and White Cloud if someone has a nightmare, or has problems sleeping. We will be here to help you the minute you have trouble. You don't have to worry; if you want, I can let Severus be informed by the spell on your room as well when you need help," Light Arrow said in his monotone calming voice. He started to gently move his body forward and backward, rocking Harry. "Do you want me to adjust the spell so that Severus will be informed as well?"

Harry was almost drifting off from the monotone voice and the gentle swinging. "Yes," he whispered. He knew it must have looked pathetic how he cradled the old man's lap, but he had never felt so safe and warm in his life as he did right now. Wanting to enjoy it as long as possible, he pushed his embarrassment away.

Severus slipped out of the room when he realized Harry would fall asleep in Light Arrows lap, physically and emotionally exhausted. He needed to check on Draco and Rose now.

"I'm scared," Harry whispered. All the stress from the last few weeks at Headquarters, during the journey, and the events here on the ranch were overwhelming him. He just wanted to hide in the strong arms of the man and sleep. He was sure he wouldn't have a nightmare while Light Arrow was with him.

"I know, my boy, I know," Light Arrow said, not stopping the gentle swinging. "But you are not alone. We will watch over you until you are ready to watch over yourself, no matter how long it takes you, Harry."

Harry clawed tighter at Light Arrow's flannel shirt. He didn't wanted to be alone; he didn't want the memories of the dungeons to hunt him down.

"Look, it seems you won't be alone at all, Harry. Karim seems to have taken it as his task to watch over you," Light Arrow said, a small chuckle in his voice led Harry look up. A black cat jumped on the bed and then crawled in Harry's lap. Harry loosened his death grip on Light Arrow's shirt and pet the cat. Karim curled up in Harry's lap and purred. Harry's eyes drifted close, and Light Arrow didn't let go of him, keeping up the gentle swinging. The purr of Karim guided him into a restful sleep.

__________

Draco watched fearfully as Light Arrow and Severus guided the reluctant Harry into his room. Only Rose's calming hand on his shoulder stopped him from panicking completely like Harry. "It's okay, Draco. Come on, I will show you your own room."

"But I have to sleep in Harry's room. Please you don't understand," Draco pleaded.

Rose smiled calmly at him. "I understand perfectly, Draco, but you need to take care of yourself here, not of Harry. My father and Severus will take good care of him, I promise." Gently she guided the blond boy down the hall to his room. Draco still tried to look back over his shoulder at Harry's room in hopes that the door would open and Harry would come out.

"He is okay, and you will be okay as well, Draco," Rose said gently and stroked his hair before she guided him in his room. "Come on, I'll help you unpack and then you can rest for a while."

"Harry cannot sleep alone, Rose," Draco tried to explain.

"You will not be there for him his whole life, Draco. One day you will have your own family. You will still stay good friends, but you both must learn to live your own life."

"A family?" Draco spat angrily. "As if any girl would even look at me!" He threw his bag on the bed and went to open it when a warm hand on his wrist stopped him.

"Don't speak like that, Draco," Rose said warmly. "Come, sit down with me for a while." She gently guided him to sit beside her on the bed. Never letting go of his hand, she started to trace one of his scars that lead from the back of his hand to the underside of his arm. "A girl that can't look past your scars isn't worth your love." She looked up to his stunned face. "And there is a lot of love. I can feel it," she said while laying the hand with which she had traced his scar on his heart.

Draco was too shocked to react. Nobody had touched him since he was in the dungeons, and he was surprised that it felt good. He felt the urge to cry out all the pain from his experiences, but managed to hold up his mask.

"You don't have to hide behind your mask here, Draco. We want to help you. You are still a wonderful young man, and you will find your way in life. The scars on your skin will become a part of you, and anyone who judges you by them is not worth your time. The scars here -" she again laid her hand on his chest, "- will be harder to heal, but we will try."

Her words stuck deep in his soul. How could a woman he had known for just an hour touch him like this, and even touch his soul like this. He grabbed for the hand that was hovering over his heart. "They will never heal." He was silent for a moment and when he looked down, realized that he still was holding Rose's hand in his lap and snapped his hand open to release it, but Rose didn't draw it away.

She encircled his hand with both of hers. "We will see, Draco. Just give us a chance and time."

A knock at the door caused Draco to jump.

"Shh, it's surely just Severus wanting to check on you. Shall I let him in?" Rose asked.

Draco nodded and looked fascinated while Rose waved her hand and the door opened to reveal Severus. "Can I come in?"

"Sure, you can help us unpack, Severus," Rose said cheerfully.

Severus eyed Draco critically. "Everything okay?"

"Sure," Draco said and looked at his hand in his lap, which a moment before was held by Rose. When he remembered why he was upset at first, he asked, "How is Harry?"

"He is okay, Draco. You two must stop worrying about the other so much. Light Arrow is still with him." He looked at Rose, who knowingly smiled at him.

"You look tired, Severus. You should rest a while," she gently laid a hand against his cheek.

Severus grabbed for her hand and looked deep into her eyes. "I'm not the one needing to heal, Rose." He gently reminded her.

"You always will be the one needing to heal, big Brother," Rose said and encircled his hand with her own.

Severus could feel her magic flow into him, scanning him and calming him. He was tired from the weeks he spent trying to help the boy without success and from the long journey. Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to lay down for a bit. "Manipulative witch," he growled playfully at her.

She just smiled and then turned to Draco again. "Let's unpack while Severus goes to have a nap."

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1844