Cherokee Camp by grugster
Summary: After two weeks of torture by Death Eaters, Draco and Harry have to find a way to cope with all their memories. Severus, as their guardian, tries to help and spends some time with them at a therapy camp in the USA. Draco and Harry friendship
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 4th summer
Warnings: Character Death, Torture
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 66 Completed: No Word count: 195045 Read: 233372 Published: 09 Jun 2009 Updated: 15 Apr 2012
Chapter 30 - Maya by grugster
Author's Notes:
Dear readers,

As you can see, I upload again. So my current beta is still with me, and I hoope she will stay for a long time!

Now you learn more about Maya! I'm sure you won't think so bad about her after reading this chapter. Don't judge people by the first thing they say to you or what you hear about them. Sometimes people just have a bad day or have there reasons to be like they are.

Sunny

-II-

"Can I have my own wheelbarrow?" Maya asked.

Harry disliked her more and more with each word she said.

Light Arrow thought shortly. That would cause them to be even slower. Draco was still very weak, and Harry wasn't in good condition, either. "If you insist."

"Yes, we have two different sweat lodges-" Maya said, but was interrupted by Harry.

"Thank Merlin," Harry muttered loud enough for all to hear. Light Arrow laid a warning hand on his neck, and Harry looked down.

"Like I said before I was interrupted-" She glared at Harry. "-we have two different sweat lodges, so we should bring to different sets of stones."

"Good, you can have another wheelbarrow. I will tell Red Horse to fetch one for you. Now you will apply the sun cream or you won't go at all."

Maya stormed with her head high up the stairs to do what she was told.

"Hold your tempers. She is the one with more experience. Sometimes you have to swallow some anger and pride down in favor to get help. Like it or not, without her you have no chance," Light Arrow said. With a last squeeze at the back of Harry's neck, he left the house to look for Red Horse.

-II-

"She is unbelievable," Draco muttered grumpily while trotting alongside Harry.

Harry pushed the wheelbarrow in front of him, bored. "Yeah!"

"Looks like she's holding her head up. I swear she's even more arrogant since she got back from the Solo. Eww, and now she is waiting for us," Harry stated.

"When you go on like that, we will not make it in time," Maya scolded the boys, annoyed.

"Then just leave us and go on your own," Harry said angrily. "We don't need you!"

"Phew!" Maya looked depreciatingly. "You two would never find the right place to get the stones, and you would never find back on your own."

"We will see!" Harry exclaimed angrily. And turned in another direction.

Draco stood shocked for a while, feeling puzzled and looking between Maya and Harry, who was storming in another direction. When he shook himself out of his stupor, he ran over to Harry. "Please Harry let us go back. I'm sure Light Arrow will let us do this all on another day."

Harry heard the panic in Draco's voice and stopped. "Come on, I was several times at the river. We will make it without her."

Draco looked very skeptical. "You were brought there by Severus and Black Hawk. Harry, please, I don't want to get lost out here. There are animals and... please!" Draco looked around, scared, as if he assumed to be attacked any minute. "I want my wand back!"

"We don't need our wands out here. There are no dangerous animals besidse snakes out here and they won't come and attack us. We still have those emergency whistles from Light Arrow. We can call him when we are in trouble."

"I still don't want to get lost," Draco pleaded.

Harry wanted to prove Light Arrow and especially Maya that he could do this without help, but he noticed that Draco was getting himself in a panic attack. Draco hadn't had one for a long time, and Harry didn't want to be the one responsible for it. He was torn, but inwardly he had already made his decision. The only decision he could make with a clear conscience. "Okay, we will go back and ask if we can do it another day."

"No, you will not! I'm sorry okay," Maya said. She had joined the two without them noticing her. "Listen, I have spent over a year here. I was really looking forward to this. You don't understand this right now, but in the end you will see it the same way as I see it now. In the beginning, I also didn't take this all seriously, but I learnt how important all these ceremonies are. They have a meaning, and they helped me. I want this last ceremony to be something special for me. I have to leave soon... I..." She couldn't finish because the lump in her throat robbed her voice.

Draco peeked out behind Harry at Maya, surprised that she started to cry. Nevertheless he didn't feel safe enough to come out behind Harry. He hoped Harry would solve this problem.

Harry didn't knew how to react. He felt responsible to do something because Draco obviously just would remain hiding behind him. The problem was, Harry had no idea how to react.

Maya regained her composure. "I have changed a lot here, and I'm very thankful for everything I learned here. I understand that you can't see it all as serious as I do it. There will come many experiences that most likely will change your attitude about this all, but right now you just see this all as a burden and want to be out of the camp as fast as possible. I guess you two don't even see how much you have changed already by the help of all the people here. This way to the river should be a possibility to reflect on what had happened until now. I don't really understand why they let you do this together. It is obviously that you can't reflect while you concentrate on the other. Can you at least understand what I try to tell you?"

Harry and Draco just remained gaping at her.

Maya groaned frustrated. "I see! So how about we make an agreement? You two let me go my pace and just follow in a distance where I don't hear you two talking. I just need to be sure that you follow me and not let me out of sight, so I don't have to look for you two all the time. The way back we can go together, okay?"

Harry still looked open-mouthed at Maya, but Draco cuffed him in his ribs. "Okay!"

"Good, then come on, we need to hurry to keep our time table," Maya said and started to go back to her wheelbarrow.

"Maybe she is not as bad as we thought," Draco said when they had gone in silence for a while.

"Yeah, maybe. She thinks we are just stupid kids who make fun of all of this," Harry said grumpily.

"I don't know what can be fun about spending the whole day in the sun carrying stones to the camp," Draco said, annoyed.

Harry laughed. It was nice to hear Draco speak like this. It was almost like he was before the torture. "I know what could be fun!"

Draco looked skeptically at Harry. He wiped the sweat from his head. "I already feel as if my head will explode any minute." His jacket hung lazily around his waist. Draco's shirt was almost completely unbuttoned and revealed his chest. Draco must've felt very warm to reveal his scars so openly while Maya was just a few feet away.

Harry stopped and touched the metal of the wheelbarrow. It was warm but not hot. "Jump in!"

"What?" Draco asked, puzzled.

"Jump in! I'll wheel you around. It'll be fun!"

"We have hours of hard work in front of us and you want to waste your energy to wheel me around?"

"I want to waste my energy to have fun, Draco! Isn't that was Hermione always tells us to have? I don't want to reflect on what happened before we came here and what has changed since we are here. Do you want to do so?" Harry asked.

"My head is too hot to even try thinking!" Draco mumbled. He had taken of his hat very often because he had the feeling he was sweating under it too much.

"Then let's have fun! She's too far away from us to hear us. Come on!"

"Okay," Draco said, grinning. Quickly he climbed into the wheelbarrow, and Harry started to race as fast as he could.

Draco laughed and cheered Harry to go faster and draw curves. Each time they came to close to Maya, Harry drew a few curves to keep the distance. Quickly he was exhausted, and Draco took over. It was great fun, but Draco was still very weak, and soon Harry was pushing the wheelbarrow over the sandy ground again. They were sweating heavily, and they had already drained one of their four water bottles. "I feel sick," Draco said miserably.

"Yeah, maybe it wasn't such a good idea to wheel the other around," Harry said, exhausted.

"I really don't feel well, Harry," Draco said and staggered.

Harry quickly grabbed Draco when the blond boy's feet gave out. "Maya!" he screamed in panic.

"What have you done?" Maya asked when she had come running over to them.

"I don't know. He just broke down. He said he doesn't feel well," Harry said, shocked.

"I see that, but what I meant is what have you done before he broke down? Have you done anything beside just going?" Maya asked while positioning Draco's leg on the rim of the wheelbarrow and placing her jacket under his head.

"Ehm... we wheeled us around a bit," Harry said shyly.

Maya groaned. "Great! Use your whistle in the direction of the camp not our ears, okay?" she instructed Harry and then turned to Draco. "Stay calm, you are just a bit overheated and maybe dehydrated as well. They will come soon to help you!" She ribbed her shirt and soak it with water. Gently she laid the wet cloth over Draco's forehead.

"I'm sorry," Draco said to Maya.

"Stop being stupid. Like I said I know what you two are feeling and thinking at the moment. It is normal to not take this all seriously in the beginning," Maya assured Draco while she gently draped Draco's chest with another cloth she had ripped from her shirt.

"You can have my shirt," Harry offered and pulled it over his head.

"No, put it on again, Harry. I can't have you getting a sunstroke as well. I have a spare one with me," Maya said, still warmly and not at all arrogant as she was in the morning.

A groan came from Draco, and he leaned over to throw up. Maya held his forehead motherly while he heaved heavily.

Shortly after Draco had rested his head back on Maya's jacket, the blue pick-up stopped close to them.

"What's going on?" Light Arrow asked when he reached the kids.

"They have overdone it a bit, and Draco broke down. He is very hot, and he had thrown up." Maya gestured at the vomit beside Draco.

A casual wave of Light Arrow's hand and the vomit was gone and Draco felt a fresh feeling in his mouth.

"Thank you," he said, groaning.

"You are welcome. Now relax and let me see what's wrong," Light Arrow instructed. He wasn't a healer, but he had learned a lot in his life and basis healing was one of the many things. He removed the cloth from Draco's forehead and laid his hand on it to scan him. After around a minute, he said, "It's not so bad. A bit healing and sitting in the shadow will help." Light Arrow put the cloth back on Draco's forehead and looked up at Harry and Maya. "I would suggest that you two go on, and I meet you two at the river. That gives Draco time to rest, and we will see how he feels when you arrive. Then we will decide how to go on."

Harry was uncertain. Would it be okay for Draco to go with Light Arrow? "Ehm.. Draco..."

"Harry, he had a sunstroke, and he needs to cool down. There is no other way. Will you be able to bring the wheelbarrow to the river alone?" Light Arrow asked.

"Sure, but Draco..."

"Draco will be okay. Am I right, my boy? Will you drive with me to the river to cool you down a bit?" Light Arrow asked the blond boy.

"Yes," Draco croaked. He just wanted out of the sun, and he trusted Light Arrow enough to keep him safe, even though he wished Harry could come with them.

"Thank you for your trust, Draco. How is your head? Do you have a headache? Can you see me clearly?"

"Sometimes there are little stars and black spots. My head hurts, but it is okay," Draco said miserably.

"I will carry you over to the car. Just relax," Light Arrow said and shifted Draco in his arms. "You two-" He looked at Maya and Harry while he held Draco in his arms. "-should hurry. I'll see you at the river."

"Come on, Harry. Draco is safe with Light Arrow. We should hurry," Maya said warmly.

"Okay," Harry replied and went over to his wheelbarrow. When he looked up again, the old man had already reached the pick-up.

"So you won't go to school next week?" Harry asked when they had spent a few minutes in silence. He had tried to stay in the distance again to respect Maya's wish, but she had stopped and said he can go with her.

"I will go to school because I don't know when I will leave exactly. I have missed a lot of stuff last year. Light Arrow didn't let me attend school for three months, and so I missed a lot of stuff and wasn't able to finish my exams last school year. The teachers give me the chance to do my exams later. I will get special classes, and I hope I will finish the exams in three months. Maybe I will get a small apartment in Hodgetown. That's close to the school."

"You weren't allowed to go to school for three months?" Harry asked, even though hundreds of others questions went through his mind.

"Yes, I had a hard time the first months. I tried several times to kill myself here at the camp. My foster parents broke up with me after I ran away from the hospital the third time. I'm alone now, and I don't want to ever see them again. Light Arrow and White Cloud are my new family, but I want to live on my own."

"Sounds good. I hope I can leave soon as well," Harry said, even so he knew that he didn't mean it.

Maya didn't say anything.

"What do you think how long we have to stay?" Harry prodded deeper.

"I don't know, Harry. All I can tell you is that I never saw someone leave before at least half a year here, and they were not as hurt as you two," Maya said uncomfortably.

Harry stopped going and stared at Maya. "What do you know about how much we are... I'm not hurt at all!"

"I'm not the one to speak with you about that, Harry."

"Tell me or I won't go on!" Harry demanded.

"You act childish, Harry. I have spent a long time here, and I saw many people come and go. Only Aiden is left from the people who were here when I came. You two are a bit like Melissa and me in the beginning. It's easier for me to see how hurt you are because I understand you, Harry. You can't deny it. You are hurt, very hurt, and Draco is very hurt as well. You can lie to yourself, but not to those who know how you feel right now. You don't have to speak with us kids about what happened. It's like an unspoken rule between us. Everyone gets the time they need to give information about their past and how they really feel. Even though you never would feel ready for it, we would accept it. There is only one thing we ask every newcomer. It's to not lie to us. Just say I don't want to speak about it, but don't say we are wrong when we know for sure that we are right. Nobody is here without a very serious reason. This camp is for those who everyone else has given up on. You are amongst the few that still have someone very close to them that is helping them. You are very lucky to have Severus. Aiden has his mother. She visits him sometimes, but she has her own problems and cannot take care of Aiden."

"Brian and Ken look normal to me," Harry stated.

"They are pretending to be funny and happy, so nobody asks them too many questions. There are many kinds of ways to hide your true feelings. Some hide them behind jokes and smiles and others behind anger and hate," Maya said wisely.

Harry bit his bottom lip. What could he say to this?

"Draco isn't hiding anything," Harry stated.

"So we're speak about Draco now?"

Harry growled. Maya really sound like Light Arrow now.

Maya laughed. "Give yourself time and speak with those who are good in it, not me, Harry." She thought about how to change the topic to something less depressing for Harry. Maya knew that he wasn't at the point to speak about what had happened to him and Draco. "So would you like to go to school?"

"I don't have a wand," Harry stated.

"They have two schools in the reservation. One for non-magical kids and one for magical ones. Many Natives are able to do wandless magic, so we are only a small group that gets taught in magic with wands. You can even take classes to learn wandless magic if you pass the acceptance test. They have a lot of teachers in the magical school, and so they can teach you even classes that are not common here in the area. Melissa has many classes we didn't have in my school in Chile. So when Light Arrow decides that you can go to school, they will speak with your old teachers and ask them what they should put on your schedule. Maybe Severus will teach as well this year. I hope so. Our Potions teacher is so boring."

Harry laughed. "You are the first one who hoped for Severus to teach her. In my school he is not a popular teacher."

"Really?" Maya asked, surprised.

"Yeah! He is called the bat of the dungeon. They even say he is a vampire."

"What's bad about being a Vampire? In Chile we have a lot of them. Two of my teachers were vampires, and they are great healers. They can sense illnesses."

"But they bite people. Isn't it dangerous to have them in a school or a hospital?" Harry asked, puzzled.

Maya looked at him as if he was crazy. "Vampires don't have to kill when they drink from people. Many have family or friends who are willing to supply them with blood, and we have blood banks were they can buy blood. They only have to feed once a week. Many even like animal blood."

"In England we don't have vampires... I think." Harry felt stupid. How could life in Chile be so different from life in England? "We never learned about other countries. I didn't knew there are countries were people live together with Vampires."

"Now you know!"

"Yeah, so are there countries were people life together with werewolves?" Harry asked curiously.

"I don't know. Maybe you should ask Professor Karley. He is our Magical Creature, Charms and Spellwork and Wandless Magic teacher. He is a vampire, and I'm sure he knows about werewolves as well," Maya explained.

"Do you think Light Arrow will let me attend school?" Harry asked eagerly.

"I don't know. If you are one of the self-harming or suicidal ones or if he fears you will run away, he won't let you attend school soon. Some were allowed to go to school earlier than others. It depends on your problems. First you only will attend a few classes, and sometimes teachers come to the camp first, so that you don't have to leave the camp for being schooled. Rose is a teacher as well, but she only teaches in the camp not the school."

"Wandless magic," Harry said dreamily. "That must be cool!" In his head all kinds of images appeared. Images of Death Eaters wriggling in front of his outstretched hand without a wand. He heard himself laugh evilly in his head, and he heard himself say 'Now you will learn what I learned form you about mercy. Now you will be the one who will feel that there is no mercy for you.'

"Are you all right?" Maya asked worriedly when she saw harry grin so evilly. It was scary.

Harry shook himself out of his dark thoughts. "Sure!"

To be continued...
End Notes:
Dark!Harry or not? We will see later! ;)

Please review!



This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1844