Cherokee Camp by grugster
Summary: After two weeks of torture by Death Eaters, Draco and Harry have to find a way to cope with all their memories. Severus, as their guardian, tries to help and spends some time with them at a therapy camp in the USA. Draco and Harry friendship
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 4th summer
Warnings: Character Death, Torture
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 66 Completed: No Word count: 195045 Read: 233333 Published: 09 Jun 2009 Updated: 15 Apr 2012
Chapter 32 - Frustration by grugster

-II-

"Draco?" Light Arrow said to wake the boy ten minutes later.

Draco blinked lazily against the sun.

"Harry and Maya will be hear in around ten minutes. I thought you would like to straighten up a bit before they come." Light Arrow help Draco to sit against the tree. The boy was much better, but a bit sleepy. "Not up to the top, Draco," Light Arrow said when Draco tried to button his shirt up. "Maya has already seen your chest, and I would like to let the cloth in place as long as possible."

"I feel fine," Draco said, but obeyed and left the upper buttons open.

"I know, but you still have a long day in front of you," Light Arrow explained.

-II-

When Harry and Maya reached the river, Light Arrow and Draco were still sitting under the big tree. Draco looked much better and smiled lazily at Harry and Maya.

"How are you?" Harry asked worriedly.

"Fine. Or at least better. I think I can accompany you two on the way back," Draco said.

"We will see," Light Arrow intervened. "First you can help them to gather the stones, and then we will see how you are."

Draco rolled his eyes. "I feel really good. Your magic is amazing." When Draco tried to stand up, the old man pressed his hand against his chest and Draco could just remain sitting.

"You should rest and eat before you gather the stones. Fetch your lunch bags and sit down with us!" Light Arrow instructed.

"Can I go to school with the others next week?" Harry asked while they ate their lunch.

Light Arrow eyed Harry closely. "Why do you ask?"

"Maya told me about the school. I don't want to miss so much stuff," Harry lied.

"Harry you two will stay for some time, and you will have to repeat your sixth year next year. Professor Dumbledore already spoke with you two about it," Light Arrow explained.

"I know, but it would be good to already know things in advance, and Maya said that they teach more classes here. Maybe I could learn something new and maybe we don't have to stay here so long," Harry said casually.

"You will stay as long as you need to heal, Harry, and this won't happen in a few months. As for the new classes, we can speak about attending one or two by being home schooled as long as your healing isn't influenced negatively by it. Which classes did you have in mind?"

Think fast, Harry! Harry ordered himself mentally. First a harmless class and then wandless magic. "Maybe charms and... wandless magic." Damn why did I pause before wandless magic? Harry scolded himself mentally.

Light Arrow's face turned dark. "Wandless magic?"

"Ehm... yes, it's cool. You are doing it all the time. I thought that maybe I'll be able to do it too."

"And what would you do with this new skill?" Light Arrow asked dangerously.

Harry opened his mouth a few times, but no sound came out. He couldn't come up with a good idea.

"I don't need to read your mind to know what you plan to do with this skill, but Professor Karley, who teaches it will read it. He will not teach you anything that could help you to fulfil your revenge plan," Light Arrow said.

"I... I have no plan. I don't know what you are talking about," Harry lied.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about, and I don't like to be lied to. We will speak about these school plans after the sweat lodge or tomorrow, Harry. Like I said I have no problem with you being home schooled in two topics, but that's the maximum. Your therapy has priority at the moment. I will speak with Professor Karley, he will decide if you are ready and capable to learn wandless magic. He teaches Charms and Spellwork as well. We will speak about a schedule for home-schooling with him tomorrow after he had a look at you and your mind. Now you should concentrate on the ceremony." With that the topic was closed, and Harry knew that no arguing would help.

After they finished their lunch, Light Arrow pulled his hat onto his face and started to snore loudly.

"Time to gather the stones. They should at least be as big as this one." Maya held up a five inch big round stone. Then she dropped it and went over to the river.

"Why don't you put it in the wheelbarrow then?" Draco asked, kneeling down to pick up the stone.

"No, Draco. We need to take them out of the river! The dry ones often explode in the fire," Maya explained.

Draco turned pale again. "Explode?"

"Don't worry. As long as we only take stones directly out of the river that won't happen," Maya assured the frightened boy. Sometimes she really would like to cuddle the blond boy.

"Come on, Draco. You heard her. It's safe to use the ones out of the river," Harry tried to cheer Draco up. Quickly he pushed his boots off his feet and enjoyed the cool water when he stepped into the river. "Oh, that's great!"

Reluctantly Draco stepped out of his boots and neatly folded his socks over them.

They needed forty minutes to laden their wheelbarrows. After the unplanned cool bath in the river, thanks to Harry's high spirits, Draco felt even better than before. So he could convince Light Arrow to drive back to the Camp without him.

"What did light Arrow mean when he said Professor Karley will look into my mind?" Harry asked Maya, while he pushed the heavy wheelbarrow. He had no idea how the girl could look so relaxed while pushing her own full laden wheelbarrow.

"He is a vampire. They can read your thoughts and memories without using Legilimens on you. They can't even avoid it. So he will know exactly why you want to learn wandless magic. If it is for a bad or dangerous reason, he won't teach you or he will restrain your magic. He, as your magical mentor, will be able to control your wandless magic as long as you live. The rule in the camp is 'no magic for anyone beside Light Arrow, White Cloud and Rose' and not 'no wands' for the kids. They would never have allowed us to learn wandless magic if it wouldn't be restricted while we are outside of the class."

"But how can you learn and experience for the next class that way?" Harry asked, puzzled.

"You can learn in Light Arrows presence for the next class. He is really good and can help you a lot," Maya explained.

Harry didn't want to learn in Light Arrows presence. The old man wouldn't like him to learn harmful curses.

"What about you, Draco? Do you want to go to school as well? You didn't say anything when Harry discussed it with Light Arrow," Maya asked the calm boy.

Draco shrugged his shoulders. "I don't think I want to go to school. Why should I?"

Harry looked worried over to his friend.

"You don't want to go to your school in England next year?" Maya asked, surprised.

Draco didn't say anything. He wasn't even sure if he ever wanted to go back to England at all.

An hour later, Harry stopped the wheelbarrow for the sixth time since he had last taken over from Draco. He panted heavily and was highly embarrassed that Maya had managed to wheel her wheelbarrow all the way alone and hadn't complained at all. The sweat was dropping from Harry's forehead when he leaned heavily over the handles of the wheelbarrow. "I can't do this anymore."

"I will take over again," Draco said, but he already had to fight against nausea again, and so he didn't sound very confident. The cooling clothes were still sticking to his body and his hair was charmed to cool his head, but he didn't feel well.

"You don't look as if you can wheel it more than a few meters," Harry said tiredly.

"I could try," Draco said apologetically.

Harry sank to his knees and than turned to lean against the wheelbarrow, hiding his face in his hands.

"Let the wheelbarrow here. We have enough stones in my wheelbarrow," Maya offered.

"Then all the work was for nothing. In the worst case Light Arrow will sent us to the river again tomorrow," Harry said, frustrated.

"No, he won't. We will wheel this cart here into the camp together. That was Light Arrow's plan from the beginning. I think he knew that you two weren't physical capable to do it alone. It was stupid of me to demand you have your own wheelbarrow. Come on, it's no shame," Maya said to convince them.

Harry snorted and angrily kicked the ground. He hated it to be a weak freak.

"I would say she has a point, Harry. We can't wheel it any longer and there is still so far to go. We can take over from Maya from time to time. I really would like to get out of the sun," Draco said carefully not to anger Harry. If Harry had one of his outburst out here, he would maybe run away again.

"This is all shit. I hate this all," Harry exclaimed, frustrated.

Maya sighed. "That's useless, Harry. You two should drink some more water, and then we should go on with one wheelbarrow. We can take yours when you feel better by it."

"I would feel better if the two of you would just go on without me. I won't do this stupid ceremony," Harry said angrily.

"Harry, a few minutes ago you were speaking about going to school and now you behave like this. Do you think this will bring you closer to getting Professor Karley to accept you for being home schooled?" Maya tried another tactic.

Harry kicked again on the ground frustrated, but then he stood up. "So?"

Maya shook her head. "Take a stone out of your wheelbarrow and place it in mine. Then we will go on. We still have around an hour to go."

Draco immediately took one stone and placed it in Maya's wheelbarrow. He wanted to get going as soon as possible.

"I don't need a stupid stone," Harry said grumpily.

"I insist," Maya just stated.

Harry groaned and threw a stone on the pile as well. "Happy?"

Maya didn't answer him and just grabbed the handles of the wheelbarrow again and started to go on.

The whole hour Harry trotted behind Draco and Maya grumpily. He refused to drink even though Maya had prompted him to take the bottle a few times. Draco also had no luck convincing Harry to drink.

Harry took the wheelbarrow once because Maya refused to go on if he wouldn't do it. The moment Draco took over again Harry resumed his thirty feet distance from the other two. That was how they arrived in the camp. The whole camp was at the fireplace. The dirty blue pickup was parked close to the fireplace and on his deck was firewood. Maya and Melissa were unloading it with Black Hawk's and Light Arrow's help. Only Red Horse was nowhere to be seen.

Ken was sitting with White Cloud a few feet away over a large bowl with hot water. He was plucking a turkey with her help. Close to them were Crying Horse, Severus, Rose, Aiden and Brian. They were disembowelling three rabbits. On a tree branch already hung four smaller birds, maybe pigeons, Draco guessed.

Maya and Draco wheeled the wheelbarrow over to the fireplace. Harry refused to get closer than 50 feet to anyone, and so he sat down against a gate and crossed his arms over his chest.

Light Arrow immediately fussed over Draco. "You made good time. I would suggest you take a nap of an hour or two, to get more energy."

"We couldn't bring our own wheelbarrow. It was so hot and we... we... we didn't made it." Draco let his head sink sadly.

"That's no problem, Draco. There are enough stones in this one, and it's just important that you took the stones from the river together." He patted Draco's shoulder and was glad that Draco didn't flinch away. "Rose," he called for his daughter. "Can you take Draco up to his room for a nap?"

Draco blushed. "I can find my way there alone, Light Arrow."

"I know, but Rose can help you to fall asleep quicker. You should use all the time you have to rest," Light Arrow explained and smiled at Rose who had already joined them.

"I'm very proud of you, Draco," Rose said, took Draco's hat off to stroke over his hair.

Draco smiled. He even forgot about Harry's behavior. He was just happy about Rose's praise and her comfort. When they had left for the house, Light Arrow addressed Maya, "What's the problem?" He gestured with his head in Harry's direction.

"I understand now why you wanted me to go together with them. They were almost collapsing half way. Harry got very angry, and I feared he would run off. He got frustrated when he realized that they won't make it with their wheelbarrow into the camp. He wanted us to leave him there and go alone. I could only convince him by telling him that this wouldn't help him to convince you to let him attend classes. The whole way he stayed behind us , didn't speak a word with us and refused to drink at all." Maya looked nervously over to Harry. "There is something else I have to tell you about him, Light Arrow." She bit her bottom lip, not sure if it was right to tell Light Arrow about it.

"What is it, Maya?" Light Arrow prodded. "I can only help him when I know what's wrong."

"He acted strange when we spoke about those wandless magic classes. He... He grinned evilly, almost insane, and he was staring into the distance as if he was deep in thoughts while he did it."

"Thanks for telling me, Maya. Would you like to rest as well or do you want to get the branches with Severus and Black Hawk?" Light Arrow asked.

"I would like to go with Black Hawk and Severus," Maya said, still full of energy.

Light Arrow smiled and patted her shoulder. "I'm very proud. You handled the situation very maturely. The boys couldn't have a better partner in this ceremony."

Maya smiled proudly. "Thank you!"

"You are welcome." Light Arrow went over to Black Hawk and Severus and told them to take the red pickup to gather the branches for the sweat lodge. Then he grabbed a water bottle and went over to Harry.

To be continued...
End Notes:
So are you worried about Harry now or do you want to kick him? :)

And what do you think about Draco? He is getting along much better than Harry isn't he?

Please review!



This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1844