Cherokee Camp by grugster
Summary: After two weeks of torture by Death Eaters, Draco and Harry have to find a way to cope with all their memories. Severus, as their guardian, tries to help and spends some time with them at a therapy camp in the USA. Draco and Harry friendship
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 4th summer
Warnings: Character Death, Torture
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 66 Completed: No Word count: 195045 Read: 233541 Published: 09 Jun 2009 Updated: 15 Apr 2012
Chapter 53 – Light Arrow is back by grugster
Author's Notes:
Current betas: Shizu66 and Alicia

-II-

Thinking about Hermione eventually brought Harry to thinking about Melissa. He had no chance to speak with her lately beside meals and a few other family moments in which they were watched closely. It annoyed Harry. Black Hawk had said he understood him and didn't want to take this away from him, but nevertheless he had done everything to keep Harry away from Melissa. Reaching for the dream catcher over his head, Harry smiled and felt this warm feeling in his chest again. Maybe he should do something for her as well. Yes, he could carve her something out of wood. Maybe a swan. All the boys admired Harry's ornaments on his bow and spear. Carving a swan would surely be more difficult, but it would be worth a try. Hearing a loud crash, Harry hurried over to the window and saw Brian and Ken drenched in water from the rain barrel close to the window of the therapy room. Harry grinned. Maybe they would have some good information for him now.

-II-

Harry hoped he would be able to speak with Ken and Brian and hear what had been spoken in the therapy room. So Harry was on his way back to his bed to wait when the messenger vibrated again.

"Oh, come on, Hermione. Give me some time to breathe." He took the messenger and read the message while still standing.

Harry,

I don't want to annoy you, but I'm very worried. I don't want to lose Draco. I don't want to lose another friend.

Hermione

Bang! Back was the image of Mr. and Mrs. Weasley's faces, and this time their faces were full of sorrow, tears were running over their cheeks. Harry could feel the cold sweat on his neck, then on his face, and then all over his body. The nausea took over, and he threw up heavily. All his breakfast landed on the carpet, and Harry was still heaving dryly.

Downstairs, Light Arrow stiffened and all the adults looked at him. "It's Harry. He is throwing up. Was he ill?"

"No, I will check on him," Black Hawk said as he stopped Light Arrow from approaching the stairs. "You need to rest, Dad."

Sneaky bastard, using this title to get him to not go and see Harry. "Inform me when you need help, Black Hawk."

"I will! Now go and have your nap." Black Hawk instructed and made his way up the stairs to Harry's room, all the time feeling Light Arrow's eyes on his back.

The moment Harry had stopped heaving, the cold sweat and the nausea had vanished. It was as if the vomit had wiped all the memories of Ron and his family out of his mind. Harry started to panic over the mess he had made. How was he supposed to get rid of it without magic and without being allowed to leave the room? Oh, Merlin, it smelled badly.

Harry ripped open the window and then looked around frantically. He had no paper towels or anything similar, so he pulled his shirt off and threw it over the vomit. That's when the door opened soundly behind him.

Black Hawk stopped in his tracks when he saw Harry's expression of pure terror. The boy had almost stumbled away from him and now was blocking his view of something on the ground. "Harry, I-"

"No!" Harry shouted when Black Hawk stepped closer. "I swear I will get it clean again. I promise!"

Black Hawk was puzzled. Putting two and two together, he realized that Harry's T-Shirt was covering the vomit, but why did Harry react in such a panic? Had Harry vomited blood? Immediately, Black Hawk stormed into the room to inspect the substance under the shirt. Maybe, he needed Light Arrow. "Let me see, Harry." He had grabbed Harry's arm to pull him aside to lift the shirt, but Harry sheltered his face with his other arm and moved to the side away from Black Hawk. He didn't dare to let go of Harry's arm. The boy could hit his head in his panic to move away from him. Hearing the door close, Black Hawk looked up to see White Cloud standing by it. She didn't move further into the room and just watched Black Hawk, holding a glass of water and a potion vial.

Still holding the cowering Harry with one hand, Black Hawk leaned over to the other side and lifted the shirt. Relieved, he saw there was no blood. "Just his breakfast. No blood." Out of the corner of his eyes, he could see the shirt and the vomit vanish when he turned to Harry again. "Harry, what's wrong?"

"I'm sorry! I will clean it up!" Harry said miserably, still sheltering his head with his free arm.

"Harry, you are safe here, you know. It's me Black Hawk. I would never hit you!" Gently, he took the other arm in his hand. "You can lower your arm. Remember, you told me just a few days ago that you trusted me."

Harry whimpered when Black Hawk slowly lowered his arm. "I couldn't get rid of it. I don't have my wand."

"I know that you don't have your wand, and we are not mad at you, Harry. We are worried as to why you are sick. You were feeling well at breakfast, didn't you?"

Harry nodded. Slowly, the panic ebbed; his rational thinking took over again. He wasn't at the Dursleys. He was at the camp, and the people here didn't care if you soil anything, not even your bed. They are always just worried about why you do it. That thought made Harry remember his reason for vomiting. He started to whimper and draw back from Black Hawk again.

Now, White Cloud came over and sat down on the ground, her legs crossed. Black Hawk always wondered how she did it with some much grace. "Harry, it's okay. I want you to drink something before you tell us what happened. First, a bit of water and then a potion to help your stomach and nerves."

The picture of Ron and the Weasley parents came and went in front of his mind, and he dimly registered the vial against his lips. White Cloud tilted Harry's head back and tried to make him swallow the potion without force. "Harry come on, you know it will help you!"

Yes, all the potions, they had given him here, had helped. White Cloud's voice reached his mind but only muffled. She put her hands on his head and pulled him further back to reality. Opening his mouth, he obeyed. Almost instantly, he felt much calmer and his head became clearer. The images of the Weasleys were still in front of his mind, but it didn't cause the bad feelings any longer. It was as if there was no connection between the images and Harry's emotions.

"Harry?" White Cloud asked, stroking Harry's hair. "How are you?"

"Better," Harry croaked. He gripped his throat in surprised.

White Cloud smiled. "Here, drink a bit more water. That will help your throat."

When Harry sighed and relaxed, after drinking a few more sips from the glass, White Cloud said, "Come on, Harry. A little nap will help you to feel even better." She signaled Black Hawk to help Harry up. When the boy was nicely tucked in by her, she asked, "So, Harry, what happened? Did you feel sick?"

Harry blushed. He didn't want to speak about it, but his mind was so fluffy at the moment and White Cloud looked so kindly. "I remembered something and..." He could feel the sweat coming back again.

"Shhh, it's okay, Harry. You won't get sick again. The potion will prevent it. What was it that you remembered? Something from the dungeons or back from your life with your relatives?"

Harry shook his head. "Please."

White Cloud sighed. "Okay, Harry, I will stop asking. Black Hawk will stay until you fall asleep." She leaned over and kissed his forehead. "You are safe here, Harry. We love you."

When White Cloud was out of the room, Black Hawk sat down on Harry's bed and watched the dark-haired boy closely. Harry's eyes were clouded. Black Hawk knew this look. This potion must have been one of White Cloud's stronger calming draughts. He had quite some experiences with them as well. Sometimes, he wished he would have excess to them on his own. It was a good way to forget about all your problems for some time. Even now, nobody knew about where Light Arrow and White Cloud store those potions, not even Rose, and they were staff now.

"Hey, Harry," Black Hawk said gently and petted Harry's head.

"I'm quite drugged, aren't I?" Harry asked, smiling.

Black Hawk smiled sadly back. "Yes, you are, but sometimes it helps to wait a bit before speaking about what spooked you. Sometimes, the mind needs some time to get the memories and images unattached from the heavy feelings. A bit of distance is better to finally be able to speak about it. The potion helps your mind to find this peace and time to relax. Just enjoy the peace, Harry."

"Do you know how it feels?"

"Yes, I know," Black Hawk said absorbed in his thoughts. He sighed and then added, "I often saw my parents when I was drugged like this. It was the only time I could look at them without feeling so bad. After taking it, it was easier to speak about it as well."

Harry looked miserably at Black Hawk. The man had shared something very personal with him, so would it be so hard to tell him about what he saw? "I... I see Ron's parents. I never spoke with them after..."

Black Hawk waited to see if Harry would go on, but when he saw that Harry just pressed his eyes closed to not cry, he gently stroke his thumb over Harry's cheek. "You don't have to tell me, Harry. You shouldn't do anything that hurts you at the moment. The potion shall help you to calm down and give you a bit of rest."

Harry opened his eyes again. A treacherous tear ran down from the corner of his eye into his ear. "I never spoke with them, even though they tried to contact me often. They were like parents to me. They must hate me now."

"I don't think they hate you, Harry. You could write them, or maybe, we can arrange a meeting-"

Harry frantically shook his head, so that Black Hawk stopped speaking and cupped his head in his hands. "Don't do this, Harry. Nobody will force you to do anything. It was just a suggestion. We can speak about it later. Try to rest now. Come on, close your eyes, and I will tell you a story about Severus and me when we were young."

That brought a smile back on Harry's face. "Yes, please do."

Black Hawk chuckled. "Okay, but first close your eyes."

Harry never heard the end of the story nor did he hear much of the beginning. After a few minutes, he was asleep.

/

"Hey, sleepy head," Black Hawk said when he sat down on Harry's bed. "Time to wake up. Lunch is ready."

Harry opened his eyes reluctantly. Still blinking against the sun, he felt Karim jumping up on the bed to greet him. "Ah, finally back, my friend." He petted the cat affectionately.

"Fantastic, I thought I'm your friend, but no, I will just be ignored," Black Hawk said playing hurt.

Harry grinned at him. That's what he liked so much about Black Hawk, no matter what happened, he would still act like his joking self. "I'm happy to see you as well," Harry said in amusement and petted Black Hawk's head teasingly as well. "Happy now?"

"Very! Too bad I can't purr." Black Hawk stood up and closed the window. When he turned around, Harry had already sat up. "Lunch is in twenty minutes. Let's go to the bathroom."

Harry looked disappointed at Black Hawk. "So the one-to-one isn't over?"

Black Hawk shrugged. "Light Arrow will decide about it during your talk with him later. He has posted a schedule at the bulletin board in the kitchen. You are the second one."

Harry groaned.

"Hey, don't be upset. You are lucky as you avoided being part of the house cleaning this morning. Nevertheless, your room will still need to be cleaned and inspected by White Cloud. So, be sure to clean it thoroughly. It's your first big inspection. She can be very picky, especially about the cupboard order and how you made your bed."

Harry looked dumbfounded at Black Hawk.

The man chuckled. "Come on, the bathroom is waiting!"

/

At lunch, Harry tried not to look up at all and at the same time tried to avoid eating as well. He still felt odd in his stomach. Aiden was sitting a few seats away from Harry, but he knew that when he would look up, he would see him. The mood was also different. Brian and Ken were talking non-stop to Light Arrow, whom listened patiently. Obviously, he had already forgiven them for the eavesdropping. The rest were very quiet, and Harry could feel Melissa's eyes on him. She was the only reason he ate at all. After some time of poking around in his soup, Harry dared to look in Melissa's direction. She was eying him and gestured with her eyes for him to eat.

Harry sighed and looked down at his soup again. He broke off a piece of his bread and let it fall in the soup. Then he pushed it down with his spoon several times. It was relaxing to see the bread vanish in the soup and slowly falling apart because it was so soaked.

"I would eat if I were you. Light Arrow is boring holes in you with his eyes."

"Thank you, very much, for your observation, Black Hawk, but if I want Harry to know about something, I will tell him personally," Light Arrow said dangerously.

White Cloud shook her head in annoyance. It was always the same when Light Arrow was away for a few days. The boys had problems holding their tongues, and Light Arrow felt the need to throw about his leadership position forcefully on them as soon as he's home. Sometimes, he was too dominant, but nobody was perfect.

Harry quickly shoved the soaked bread and a bit soup in his mouth. He didn't want to be in trouble so soon after Light Arrow's return, and he didn't want Black Hawk to be in trouble either.

When Harry had finished half of his bowl, he looked over to Melissa. She smiled at him shyly and tilted her bowl to show him that she had finished her lunch completely. This warm feeling was back in Harry's chest, and it felt so good to have it back after the events of this morning. He smiled back at her, and then he made the mistake of looking around. All eyes were on him, and he blushed deeply. Brian and Ken snickered, Rose and White Cloud smiled at him, and the rest were looking indifferent or skeptically at him. Harry quickly looked down at his soup after that. "Ehm...you don't have to wait for me."

"We all stay until the last has finished. Eating is a social event, or has this changed while I was away?"

White Cloud rolled her eyes. "Of course not, Joseph. You are really unbearable today. The nap hasn't help your mood much."

Harry was shocked, like most of the members of the camp. Light Arrow was stared down by White Cloud and Rose, and the men of the family shifted nervously in their chairs. The kids looked shocked and waited for the thunderstorm to break out.

"You are right. I apologize." That caused the two ladies to smile satisfactorily at him, the men to stop squirming on their seats, and the kids to look dumbfounded at the head of the house. Had he just apologized?

"Harry, could you please finish your soup? We have a busy schedule for this afternoon," White Cloud said.

"I'm no longer hungry."

"No longer hungry? You were poking your soup since the beginning, Harry. Are you still feeling sick?" Rose asked.

Harry shook his head, blushing. "No, I'm just not hungry."

"I would like to have a look at you before you go up to clean your room, Harry. The talk with Draco will take some time, so maybe you will be finished with your room when we are finished with Draco," Light Arrow stated. "Put your dish in the sink and then follow me. Draco, I will see you in thirty minutes. The rest of you should look at the schedule to know when you need to be around. It's of course just a rough guideline. Try to keep track who is inside the room. I will announce when a session is over by the sound of the gong." He pointed at the old gong beside the fridge with which White Cloud often calls the family for meals.

Harry, meanwhile, had placed his dish in the sink and stood insecurely beside Light Arrow.

Seeing Harry shift nervously beside him, Light Arrow laid a calming hand on Harry's shoulder, which caused the teen to relax immediately. When he was ready with his speech to the rest of the family, he gently guided Harry in the therapy room. "Lay down on the couch, please, Harry."

Nervously, Harry laid down on the old leather couch. With a wave of his hand, Light Arrow enlarged the couch, so he had enough space to sit down beside Harry's hip. "How are you feeling, Harry?"

"I'm fine. I was just not very hungry. The vomiting wasn't...it..."

"I know. Black Hawk told me, but nevertheless, I would like to check if I can detect something wrong with your stomach, okay? Maybe your body doesn't tolerate the potion White Cloud gave you. You haven't gotten that one before."

Harry played nervously with the hem of his shirt. Gently, Light Arrow took Harry's hands and placed them beside his hips. "I will just lift your shirt a bit, okay?"

"I'm not Draco," Harry said, trying to overplay his nervousness. He didn't even know why he was nervous.

Light Arrow raised an eyebrow and looked sternly at Harry. "And that means I can just go and invade your personal space without asking you for permission?"

Harry blushed. "No, you just make me more nervous when you are so cautious," Harry said truthfully.

"There is nothing to worry about, Harry. I just want to examine you for any stomach ache or intolerance of the potion we gave you."

Harry nodded, and Light Arrow lifted Harry's shirt. "You look thinner, Harry."

Gulping, Harry tried to sit up to look for himself, but Light Arrow pushed him back into a laying position. "Please, stay down, Harry. I would like to have a closer look at your weight, Harry. I will check your medical folder for the last time you have been weighed, and then we will go on. Now, try to relax. I will lay my hands on your stomach and cast the diagnostic charms."

Harry bit his lip. What if he really had lost weight? Would Light Arrow be angry with him? Would it prolong his stay here?

"Harry, you are not relaxing. Try to think about something nice. What about riding? You made big progress in that recently."

So, Harry thought about Tohiadedi. Yes, he had finally built a friendship with his horse. Tohiadedi would come to the gate when he saw him, happy to be brushed or petted. He still wasn't allowed to ride outside the paddock without supervision, but only Maya and Aiden were allowed to do so anyways.

"Okay, Harry. Please remain laying down. I will be back soon." Light Arrow pulled Harry's shirt down and petted his stomach.

Nervously, Harry started to play with the hem of his shirt again. Light Arrow hadn't said anything about the diagnostic charm. Was this a good or a bad sign?

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1844