Cherokee Camp by grugster
Summary: After two weeks of torture by Death Eaters, Draco and Harry have to find a way to cope with all their memories. Severus, as their guardian, tries to help and spends some time with them at a therapy camp in the USA. Draco and Harry friendship
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 4th summer
Warnings: Character Death, Torture
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 66 Completed: No Word count: 195045 Read: 233541 Published: 09 Jun 2009 Updated: 15 Apr 2012
Chapter 64 – Talk with Severus by grugster

-II-

"Try to place that laugh in the stone. Transform it into the stone mentally," Red Horse said calmly.

Draco nodded. "I think that is enough memory for the stone, don't you think?"

"Only you can say, Draco. If it feels as if it is complete then it is."

Draco nodded again, but then was unsure what to do.

"Let's stand up. Show the stone that you can live without it. Straight, with your chest out and confident. Show the stone that it can't hurt you anymore and then throw it in the river."

The stone in his hand was heavy, and Draco felt its weight by moving it a few times up and down. He again tried to imagine that memory, Lestrange, the pain, the evil laughs and that feeling of fear to being damaged forever in the stone. He could feel the stone become even more heavy. That gave him confidence that he was successful. It had worked for Red Horse and it could work for him as well. With all his strength he threw the stone far into the river. Red Horse had been right. That sound it made while hitting the surface was so satisfying. It was as if Draco could feel it in his chest. Then he imagine how Lestrange and all the pain was sinking to the ground of the river, captured in that stone. Draco felt light and had the feeling he could breath much better now. It just felt amazing.

-II-

During a slow part of their journey back to the camp, Draco asked Red Horse about something he had wondered for a while now. "How come most of the horses have English names and only mine has a Cherokee name. Okay Harry's has both."

"All the horses in the camp have an English name and a Cherokee name. It's just that most of us prefer the English names. I'm no Cherokee, and even though I really care for all the ceremonies I learned during living here, I don't care as much as to call my horse Gasoqualesgv. It's just too long. Only the wild horses keep their original name that the former owners gave them. You already now that they all are from people that didn't treat them well. Their old names are often linked with bad memories and pain. Therefore each horse gets a new name here. A Cherokee name, the English name is just the translation for it. Unega is very short therefore we all call him by his Cherokee name. White just doesn't sound as good for a name. Unega sounds better, don't you think?"

First Draco shrugged, but then he said, "Yeah, I think so." After thinking for a while, Draco exclaimed, "But what about Maude. That hasn't any real meaning, has it?"

"Oh, you got me. Yes, Maude, is the only horse that never got another name. She was the horse of White Cloud's best friend, who died five years ago during a car accident. She doesn't have any bad memories linked to her name, only good ones. So we decided to let her keep her name."

"Oh." What else could Draco say to that. "Why does Severus have a Cherokee name?"

"Every child that lives here will be asked if they want to participate in a naming ceremony. There everyone will discuss about a good name, and many suggestions will be made and reasons for that name will be discussed. In the end we all need to agree on one name. The child himself doesn't have a chance to decide. Light Arrow and White Cloud often decide for old meanings. Lately they are a bit lenient and often let us younger people decide, so the names have more meaning for the kids. When I got my name, it was only Light Arrow, White Cloud and two other old men who discussed it. All very traditional. At that time the other kids weren't allowed to take part at the decision. When Severus and Black Hawk got their names, the other kids already were allowed to decide as well. So they have modern names."

"I don't really see a difference between your names."

Red Horse laughed. "What does Red Horse mean for you?" The blank expression on Draco's face was answer enough, and Red Horse laughed even harder. "See? So what does Night Rain mean to you in comparison to Severus."

Draco shrugged. "He is dark and mysterious, so the night could stand for that. And rain... hmm... maybe because he is moody and sometimes depressed. Maybe he even was more depressed as a teenager. He once told me that he wasn't a happy teenager and that he had problems with his father. He indicated that his father was the reason why he was here." Draco could see that this topic made Red Horse feel uncomfortable. "I'm not asking you to tell me about Severus' reasons to be here back then. Just tell me about his name."

"You already proved that I was right by saying Severus has a more modern name. You made very good assumptions about the meaning of his Native American name. Red Horse has an old meaning, more traditional. Red stands for power and energy, and the horse stands for freedom and strength. Quite boring, and I wished I would have gotten a more interesting name, but I got used to it and now I'm just Red Horse."

"What is your real name?"

"Red Horse."

Draco watched the man and realized again that he must have hit a painful topic. "Oh."

Red Horse sighed. "Draco, I'm not used to talking much, you know. I'm confused that I even feel comfortable enough to do it with you. Until now, and that really means since I came here, I only spoke with my parents here and my brothers and Rose." He paused shortly. "Of course I had another name, the one my biological parents gave me, but I burned it in one of the sweat lodge fires because it was linked with only bad memories."

"I understand. I'm sorry that I always ask such stupid questions. I don't want to hurt you." Sadly, Draco looked down at his hands.

"You don't hurt me. Light Arrow always says I need to learn to open up to others. Maybe you even teach me some things and help me develop my character."

That made Draco look up, surprised. After a while he decided it would be best to go on talking about a safe topic. "What about Black Hawk? What does his name mean?"

"He is the most traditional of all the kids who ever had been here, I think. He insisted to get a more traditional name, even so I think it has more meaning for outsiders than mine. Black stands for mysterious, hard to understand people, sometimes even for dangerous. The Hawk stands for purposefulness, but also for riskiness and being hotheaded. I was not there when he got his name, but he is very proud about his name and tells anyone who wants to hear about the meaning of his name. A hawk waits and waits to find a prey. When he has it on focus, he doesn't let go; no matter what happens. If a dangerous animal jumps close to the prey it doesn't matter, he would just attack anyway. Black Hawk is very proud of that, even so I think nobody else shares his enthusiasm about that lovely attribute of him."

Draco grinned. "He is very similar to Harry. I think Harry should have the hawk in his name as well. His totem already is a hawk."

"I'm not sure. I think Harry wouldn't want a Native American name at all. Of what I know of him he is very proud of his name. Getting a Native American name here is just an option and not all kids want it. Mostly it helps those who want to forget their old names. I never learned Black Hawk's old name, and I would advice you to not ask him as well. Some things are just too painful to discuss and it isn't really that important, is it?"

"No." Again Draco felt uncomfortable. "Light Arrow's real name is Joseph, right? White Cloud sometimes calls him like that."

Red Horse grins. "Yeah, she does and it never fails its purpose. He knows exactly that something isn't right when she uses it."

"And White Cloud? Can you tell me her name?"

"Sarah. Her name is Sarah."

"Who gave them their Native name then?"

"Their clan of course. At the time they were born all children needed to be named in English, but when a boy hunted his first prey or a woman got... you know... her first menstruation they were named again the Cherokee way."

"What does their names mean then?"

"Light is a very holy name. Light Arrow got it because before he went for his first hunt, he asked all the old hunters about the correct ritual to free the soul out of a hunted animal. When he shot his first turkey, he muttered two different rituals to just be sure he had apologized to the animal for dying for him and had freed the soul from the dead body. That made him special and his clan members were sure that he would be a great medicine man and important member of the council of elders one day. Arrow was added for the item that showed them his destiny."

"Wow."

Red Horse just smiled. "White also stands for someone with great abilities and it stands for wisdom. White Cloud knew more than any other child in her clan and never stopped to ask more questions and wanted to hear more tales. Cloud was added for her temper. It can rank from one extreme to the other, but it often becomes very clear from the outside what will come. She can't hide her feelings well."

"Those are cool meanings. And you said the old traditional names are boring."

"I spoke about the old names we got here in the camp. Maybe I just don't really understand why they chose that name for me. I can't really explain it. Now I like it, so there is no need to trouble our minds about it."

"I think I would love to get a Native American name. When will they ask me if I want one?"

"When you hunted your first prey or if you decide against hunting-"

"I will go hunting. As soon as we are allowed." Draco looked determined. That was a thing where he could prove that he was a man.

After around ten minutes of silence, Red Horse thought the topic was finally closed.

"You know what's funny?"

Red Horse looked questioningly at Draco.

"The most cheerful person in the camp has the word crying in his name and the daughter of the two most traditional persons of the camp is just called by her English name."

"Not really. First, Crying doesn't have to mean what you understand under crying. It also stands for battle cries. The meaning of horse you already know. But you need to know that Crying Horse didn't get his name in the camp. He is a Lakota and for them hunting and fighting was more important than for Cherokees. That reflects in their name giving as well. As for Rose, she never needed another name. She was happy with her first and it has so much meaning because it was given with so much love that she wouldn't feel comfortable getting a second one."

"That makes sense. Thanks for telling me this all." Draco smiled insecurely at Red Horse.

"Thanks for telling me what you told me at the river. It means a lot to me that you opened up to me."

"I feel much better." Draco blushed. "It's as if I'm a few pounds lighter now."

Red Horse smiled back. "Maybe we should do it again one day or you do it with Light Arrow."

Draco shrugged. "Maybe."

"Whenever you feel ready for it."

X-X

"So Hermione will come tomorrow?" Harry asked, puzzled. It was two in the afternoon and Professor Karley had just left.

"Yes, and Professor Dumbledore will bring her. So if you don't want to see him, you need to stay in your room until Light Arrow calls you. He says it is your decision."

"What about Draco?" Harry didn't have time to speak with his friend much. They only were allowed to speak shortly after supper because Draco was meant to rest. His diarrhea had worsened in the evening. So Harry just knew that Hermione would come and that Draco was meant to clear things with Hermione.

"What about him?"

"You know what sucks?"

"Harry," Severus said warningly.

Harry rolled his eyes. "I hardly had time to speak with Draco. I don't even know what was really wrong with him that made him stop writing to Hermione. We are best friends, and I feel bad that I hadn't time to talk with him. Now he has the whole day off with Red Horse and nobody knows when he will come back." Harry pouted.

"You had school until now, Harry. You wouldn't have had time for a talk anyway."

"Of course I would've. My lessons started at ten. Why don't you tell me what was wrong with him?"

"Because I also don't go to Draco and tell him all the secrets you once told me or what had been discussed in the therapy sessions. That's private."

Harry blushed, but still made a pouting face.

Severus sighed. "I'm sure they will be back soon and you two will have enough time to talk then."

"But what if not?"

"Then you won't die from it, Harry, and you two can talk with each other while Ms. Granger is here as well. It's not as if she will chain herself at Draco's leg. Knowing her, Draco will have quite some work to pry her out of the library and stop her from piling the others with questions."

Harry needed to grin. "Yeah, she already was very interested in Rose's magic."

"See. Exactly what I said. So lets change the topic. How are you lessons going? Any progress in your wandless magic?"

"Yes," Harry said, excited. "It's really cool. I learned more on how to measure the amount of magic I need to let free. Professor Karley will speak with Light Arrow about letting me go to school completely, and on Wednesday he will shadow walk with me to the school, so I can train in his battle room."

Severus looked seriously at Harry. "Don't get too excited about it, Harry. It will be Light Arrow's decision if Issac is allowed to do that. Your teacher sometimes has the tendency to promise things without asking the right persons for permission first."

"You think Light Arrow will forbid me to shadow walk with the professor to the school?" Harry was crestfallen.

"Normally you wouldn't even have started school now, Harry. Light Arrow did allow you to participate at a few lessons because you wanted it so much, but I don't think he will allow you to go to school fully before you make more progress."

"But I'm making progress, and I have been home-schooled now for two months. That's not fair," Harry said, frustrated. He had looked so much forward to go to school.

"Do I need to remind you that just a few days ago another serious problem about your health had been revealed?"

"But I should be allowed to go to school."

"Why is that so important for you? Are you running away from working on your problems?"

"I'm not!"

"Then why?"

"It's just time. It's almost December now. That means we are here for three and a half months. That's an eternity!"

"It's not, Harry, we will stay here for much longer."

Harry gasped for air, but then he decided it would be better to not start to argue with Severus. After calming down for a few seconds Harry finally realized something. "It's almost December and we still can go swimming in the river?"

Severus laughed. "I wondered when one of you would realize that."

"That's not normal here in Oklahoma isn't it?"

"Not normal for the Muggle part of Oklahoma. Remember almost only wizarding folks live here on this reservation. The only Muggles that are allowed to live here are bonded to a wizard or witch and that bond includes an unbreakable vow to not give away anything they know about us. It seems the people here don't like cold weather."

Harry's mouth gaped open. "They can change the weather?"

"Don't ask me how it works, but just seeing that over 90% of the people here are capable of wandless magic should tell you something about the amount of magic that is flowing around here."

"Wow, that's scary."

"Yes, I agree."

"Can't you speak with Light Arrow about the school?" Harry couldn't stop himself from asking.

"Harry, please," Severus said, annoyed.

"But I will do fine. I will still work together with everyone here. I was good the last months, I made lots of progress. And I will eat. A lot. I promise!"

"Harry, I will not speak with Light Arrow because he won't listen to me. He will decide about that with White Cloud. If you feel the need to plea with someone then go to them."

Harry crossed his arms over his chest and leaned rebelliously back against the wall to which Severus' bed stood.

"If you start stomping with your feet now, I will doubt that you are sixteen."

"You cannot keep me longer here then when I turn seventeen next July."

"Great argument. You should start your conversation with Light Arrow directly with that phrase. I wish you luck," Severus said sarcastically and grabbed for the potions journal on his night table.

"Why aren't you helping me?"

"Because you behave childishly, Harry. Your last sentence told me how much progress you really have made. I'm in pain, I think it's not a good time to discuss this right now or I will say things I don't really want to and then you will do the same and that will throw us back even more than we both already are."

"So you admit that you also make no progress," Harry said challengingly.

"Yes, I do."

That nonplussed Harry into silence. He had expected that Severus would deny that he needed to make any progress, that he was an adult and only here because of them, even so he already had admitted the opposite once during their stay here. Then he said something so stupid that afterward he immediately knew how childish it had sounded. "But you are allowed to do what you want."

"Oh, really? That's why I sit in that bed and aren't in front of a cauldron. Very logical, Harry. I think you really need to get that head of yours under control. One day without your running training, and you already are a mess."

"And that is your fault."

"Oh, sorry that my miserable self-control had not only caused me to have a serious drawback, a damaged shoulder and almost completely destroyed my pride; no over all that I have robbed you of one of your running sessions. I'm very sorry," Severus said sarcastically. His mood slowly dropped dangerously low.

"If I would have said that, you would have called me drama queen, you know?" Harry dared to ask. The glare Severus sent in his direction, made him stand up from Severus' bed. "Okay, okay, I think I should go. Maybe the others will come back soon."

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1844