My Enemy's Enemy by halfblood
Summary: Post OoTP. Alternate Timeline. Harry's had a wretched summer. To top it off, Dumbledore insists he continue studies in Occlumency with the dreaded Severus Snape. Will he and Snape learn to get along?
Categories: Snape Equal Status to Harry > Foes Snape and Harry, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Luna, McGonagall, Neville, Original Character, Pomfrey, Remus, Ron, Sirius, Tonks, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, General, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Azkaban Character, Runaway, Slytherin!Harry, SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Death, Neglect, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 38 Completed: No Word count: 163144 Read: 200417 Published: 20 Jun 2009 Updated: 16 Aug 2011
Unwelcome by halfblood

Harry slipped out of Snape’s study and almost collided into a figure fast approaching the other side. Noticing his enemy Malfoy froze, appraising Harry coldly while ostentatiously refusing to stand aside for the Gryffindor to pass. Pressing himself right up against the wall to avoid the other boy, Harry brushed past him. It wasn’t as if he was particularly concerned about what Malfoy might do (he didn’t even have his thugs traipsing after him for once and Snape was within hollering distance in any case) but Harry just wanted to keep his head down and avoid any confrontation.

Watching Potter slink away, Malfoy’s lip curled in distaste.

Bloody Potter. As if it wasn’t bad enough that he was swanning around Slytherin as if he owned the place, he was also spending every sodding evening with Severus.

Malfoy didn’t feel that he could stand much more of this. He’d been amazingly restrained so far given the insufferable position he’d been put in. Potter had been sleeping in a Slytherin dorm and strolling through their common room as though he had a right to be there for over a week whilst he had behaved impeccably.

He hadn’t hexed him once, or set Cragg or Goyle on him, despite extreme provocation. He hadn’t even touched his stuff or his dorm. Admittedly this was only because the normal dorm wards had been strengthened to a degree which he wasn’t able to break through, but still. Malfoy wasn’t sure if he was angry to witness the special treatment Potter was getting or pleased to think that the extra protection had been deemed necessary.

I’m hardly the only one who has an axe to grind with that scrawny, little bastard after all. We’ve had to put up with his crap for years but now we have the opportunity to redress things a little on our territory... well sod it. If I can’t get round the wards I’ll have to find some other way to get at the little shit.

Knocking on the study door Malfoy waited impatiently for Severus’ reply before pushing the door open.

‘Ah, Draco.’ Severus barely looked up at his Godson, his tone flat, as he continued to root through the papers on his desk.

‘Severus,’ Draco nodded his greeting and threw himself into an armchair. ‘I see you’ve just had yet another visit from that pathetic little mudblood-lover.’

Severus made no response as he extracted a pile of papers from a side drawer.

‘That must be every bloody night since he’s been here.’ Draco persisted.

‘Hmm.’ Severus frowned distractedly as he scanned the parchment.

For a moment Draco was silent as he watched his Godfather reading. Eventually he could keep quiet no longer. ‘I just can’t believe he’s still here. You’d think he’d get the message about where he’s not welcome and bugger off back to Gryffindor.’

 Severus finally glanced in Draco’s direction.

‘Have you come here for a reason or just to moan?’ He asked pointedly.

‘Doesn’t it bother you?!’ Draco exploded.

‘Of course.’ Severus replied mildly. ‘But I am getting weary of repeating this conversation over and over. You do recall what I said before? That there are reasons which I cannot divulge?’

‘Yes.’ Draco replied. ‘But Severus...’

‘But nothing.’ Snape said sharply. ‘For Merlin’s sake Draco. You are a Slytherin; attempt to live up to our reputation. Do you really think I would tolerate Potter’s odious presence in our house for one instant were there not a valid cause?’

‘No.’ Draco admitted sullenly.

‘If I could tell you any more, I would.’ Severus replied more mildly. ‘At the moment the less you know the better.’

‘Deniability again, on my part, I suppose.’ Draco muttered. ‘And I guess you’d also say that I don’t need to know.’

‘You don’t.’ Severus said simply.

 ‘I understand that you can’t tell me everything, but surely you can give me a general idea of what is going on? This is driving me mad.’

‘Ask Lucius, if you must.’

‘You know that Father tells me next to nothing!’

‘All the more reason for me to act in accordance with his wishes.’ Severus replied.

‘But I’m willing to take the risk!’

‘Don’t be a fool.’ Severus said harshly. ‘Professor Dumbledore might legilimise you in an instance and then where would we all be?’

Draco gave a small huff of anger.

‘I just can’t stand him being here. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone loses it and sends him packing sometime soon.’

Oh really?’ Severus tone was so acidic that Draco backtracked hastily.

‘I’m just saying, that’s all.

‘Well, whatever you’re planning, you’d best forget it.’ Severus warned him.

‘I’m not planning anything.’ Draco said defensively.

Snape’s obsidian gaze bore into him. ‘You’d better not be.’

‘I’m not.’

‘Hmm.’ Severus was unconvinced. ‘If there’s nothing else...’

‘I thought I might floo-call home if you don’t mind.’ Draco asked sensing that Severus was about to hurry him out.

 Snape gestured lazily towards his floo powder.

‘I’ll give you some privacy. I have a meeting to attend shortly in any case.’

 Draco scowled as he watched Severus leave his study. His Godfather knew he was welcome to join the conversation with his parents. He’d hardly seen anything of Severus lately and it was beginning to get to him.

Closing the door on his disgruntled Godson Snape strode away. He wasn’t lying about the meeting, although the timing was fortuitous in allowing him to escape further whinging. He headed to Dumbeldore’s office  from which he would floo to tonight’s Order meeting. It would be the first time that he and Moody would face each other since the summer and he wouldn’t miss it for the world.

***

Alone in Severus’ study Draco made no move to use the floo. He was too busy fuming about the situation with Potter.  I just can’t see why Severus would ever have agreed to Potter being Slytherin in the first place. From his Godfather’s hints Draco gathered that the Dark Lord must have ordered it but he couldn’t understand it. It’s completely ridiculous. I’m assuming that the Dark Lord has decided he can exploit Potter if he trusts Severus- but it’ll never work. Severus despises Potter- he’s made that clear often enough over the years. He may be a good actor, even he won’t be able to keep up such an unnatural pretence long-term. No, this charade won’t last much longer and there’s no way I’m going to wait it to fall apart without seeing if I can hurry it along. If I can’t hex Potter the very least I can do is to show him just how unwelcome he is here.

 

***

Theodore looked at Malfoy blankly. ‘You what?’

‘I said just take a few of his things, or banish his trunk or something.’ Malfoy replied impatiently.

‘What? You must think I’m crazy.’ Theodore sounded incredulous. ‘There’s three of us in there with him: Connor has given every sign of liking him and no one would believe for a moment that Jasper did it. They’d know it was me straight off.’

Draco fixed Theo with his best Malfoy glare. Coming from a disgustingly rich and bruisingly powerful Slytherin line he was used to getting what he wanted within his house. Unfortunately Nott also descended from a prestigious pureblood line which seemed to give him the confidence to avoid deferential allegiances and follow his own path. Well, he would regret that in time.

‘Look, do me this favour now and I’ll see that it’s repaid with interest in the future.’

 ‘There’s no way I’m going to shit on my own doorstep, Draco.’

‘Fine. I’ll be sure to remember this Nott.’ Malfoy his tone icy as he moved on, his mind focused on considering his next move. He would speak to Jasper Buckley. This would probably prove to be the better plan, after all. Although he’s hardly as sharp or subtle as Theo Nott, Jasper will be far easier to intimidate into doing what I want.

***

At the meeting Dumbledore led them through the Order business with his usual calm authority although he was in no way oblivious to the tensions around the table. He could see Severus’ eyes darting back and forth at the hip flask clasped in Moody’s hands and the slight smirk which the Potions master was biting back. Most of the Order didn’t register any of these infinitesimal motions; Arthur certainly didn’t as he ploughed dutifully on with his report on recent ministry actions. Moody on the other hand is certainly aware of Severus’ body language.

The old Auror’s body was tight with tension and although he grasped the flask he was making no move to drink from it. And, although he was staring fixatedly at Arthur, Dumbledore was sure his magically eye was focused a few feet away at  Severus.

Dumbledore restrained a sigh. This was not going to end well and for once he was unsure about what to do. He knew there was no way Moody had intended to kill their double agent. Unfortunately convincing a man as cynical as Severus about this was nigh on impossible, particularly given the hostile history between the two men.

Arthur had just began summing up his report when Kingsley raised a hand to interrupt.

‘ Sorry, I’m a bit confused. From what you’re saying the ministry are working with the Irish government at the moment? But I thought they were refusing to co-operate? Wasn’t that why Sirius went over there after all?’

‘Well that’s just it...’ Arthur set his notes aside. ‘They are making this enormous show of being helpful all of a sudden but the information they are providing the ministry is hugely unreliable...’

Moody’s gaze flickered down to his flask. He seemed to be having some sort of internal debate with himself to Dumbledore’s practised eye.  Seemingly arriving as a decision he briskly raised the flask towards his lips and tipped his head back...

At the last moment Severus gleaming eyes and a slight twitch at the corner of his mouth stopped Moody who slammed the flask down on the table and turned to glare ferociously at the potions master.

Clamouring to his feet, his face red, he breathed hard.

‘You’d better watch yourself, boy.’

Snape barely moved a muscle. He simply raised one eyebrow quizzically at Moody.

I?’ He repeated silkily. ‘I had better watch myself?’

One hand grasping his wand, Moody snatched up his flask with the other and stormed out.

Inwardly Dumbledore sighed again. The paranoid, old man was doubtlessly firing off numerous revelation charms at this moment. Oh Alastor, when would Severus have had the opportunity to spike that flask?’

The other order members seemed surprised and more than a little confused by Moody’s outburst. Although they all knew what had transpired between the two men they couldn’t see what Severus had done to fire up the old Auror.

‘...um...’ Arthur added distractedly.

Giving Severus a brief admonishing glance which was stonily ignored, Dumbledore intervened smoothly, ‘thank you Arthur. May I say a few words?’

Gratefully Arthur sank back into his seat.

‘The Irish Ministry have made an apparent about-turn in their isolationist policies in recent weeks. You might have heard that First Minister Donovan’s son is now enrolled at Hogwarts. They have passed on some research into new potions studies which they are undertaking at the moment. Unfortunately all their endeavours to act as a trusted ally seem to amount to little. Various pieces of information that they have provided the ministry with has been contradictory and at times little more than outright falsehood. The ministry have picked up on this to some extent, but are unsure whether the errors are deliberate.’

‘How can there be any question?’ Remus piped up from the back of the room. ‘We know that the Irish Government has been the furthest thing from an ally over the past few years. If they’re feeding  the ministry misinformation then their actions are clearly nothing more than a pretence, and a poor one at that.’

‘Perhaps.’ Dumbledore replied. ‘But the basis of power in Ireland at the moment is fractured. We already know about the power base that O’Sullivan and his supporters have built up. So it seems equally possible that one hand of the Irish Government doesn’t know what the other hand is doing...’

‘Not so different to over here, then.’ Severus muttered resisting the urge to rub his forearm which was starting to prickle.

Dumbledore ignored his interruption and continued.

‘The simple fact is that we don’t know, but baring in mind what our contact found out in May...’

Severus did his best to focus upon the meeting and ignore the growing burn. Drumming his long fingers on the table idly, to those surrounding him he looked every inch his usual self: bored and impatient. In actual fact he was utterly relieved when the meeting drew to an end some minutes later.

‘Severus a word, please.’

‘I need...’

‘This won’t take a moment.’ Dumbledore told him.

Gritting his teeth Severus followed the headmaster through the floo.

‘I really do have to...’

‘Severus about Alastor. He thinks you’re planning something.’

‘Does he indeed?’Severus replied blankly.

‘A fear that you are doing your utmost to cultivate, I note. Now I’m not going to try and convince you anymore, Severus. You know exactly what I think about what happened...’

Severus sighed.

‘... so I’m not going to ask you to promise not to do anything to him. I know that that won’t be necessary seeing as you know how important Moody is to the Order.’

You won’t ask me, old man, because you know what my answer would be, Severus thought darkly.

Dumbledore bright blue eyes were staring at him relentlessly.

The pain started to intensify and white lights began to flash in front of Severus’ eyes.

 ‘I really have to go.’ He admitted, his voice remaining expressionless. ‘I’m being called.’

Dumbledore studied him for a moment longer. There had been a time when he had been one of the few people who could spot when Severus was in pain. The fact that he was no longer able to do so anymore grieved him, not that he doubted his spy’s word for even a moment. Severus had simply got too used to bearing this burden; at bottling his pain up internally. An ability which is crucial for his role as a spy, Dumbledore had to remind himself once more.

 ‘Go.’ He said at last. ‘Be careful.’

‘You hardly need remind me about those who are relying on me for their safety.’ Severus sneered as he turned to go but Dumbledore reached out a hand to stop him.

‘Severus, we are all relying on the fact that you will take care of your own safety as well as others.’ Dumbledore said solemnly.

Severus removed the elder wizard’s hand, fixing his stormy, dark orbs upon the headmaster. ‘Don’t patronise me, Albus.’ He said softly as he left.

***

The next morning Draco did his best to raise the stakes in his antagonism of Harry. He spent about ten minutes loitering outside Harry’s dorm with Crabbe and Goyle in tow ready to hit Harry where it hurt: by insulting his friends.

‘Only a pathetic, impoverished little twerp with no taste like Weasley would go after such a dirty mud-blood.’

Harry had opened the door of his dorm to the sound of Malfoy’s clear, bitchy tones. He was half asleep but the comment shocked him into paying attention.

‘What did you just say?’

‘You heard Potter.’ Malfoy sneered. ‘Oh come on. You’re supposed to be a Slytherin now, don’t look surprised that no one around here is going to jump to defend a filthy, little bitch like Granger.’

‘Come on Harry, let’s go to breakfast.’ Jasper said uncomfortably not daring to meet Malfoy’s eyes.

 Harry took a deep breath trying to control his temper. He knew that if Hermione or Ron were here they would tell him not to rise to the bait. Well... Ron would probably rise to it himself in all honesty but Hermione would definitely tell them both to ignore it. After all wouldn’t it be giving Malfoy exactly what he wanted if he ended up getting in trouble? Why was walking away so bloody difficult though? Feeling like a traitor Harry stalked past Malfoy as he made his way to the Slytherin exit.

Jasper was trailing after Harry when Malfoy stopped him.  ‘Not so fast Jasper. I want to speak to you.’

***

Harry stayed out of Malfoy’s way for the rest of the day. As usual he deliberately sat as far away as possible from him during lessons. A couple times he noticed the Slytherin watching him from across the room but for once he wasn’t sniggering to his cronies. Instead he was staring at Harry as if he was the cat that got the cream.  Harry decided he almost preferred the direct insulting approach.

He didn’t have long to wait for that to return. In the evening Harry had just passed through the entrance to the Slytherin common room when he felt a hand on his arm.

‘Potter.’Oh, what now?’ Harry answered hotly, thinking he’d taken about as much as he could stand. A couple of the younger Slytherins, who were sat on a sofa nearby, shifted their positions slightly in order to see past the bulk of Crabbe and Goyle while they eavesdropped.

‘I was just wondering when you were going to tell everyone about your Godfather?’

Harry shot Malfoy a look of utter distaste. ‘You know what? You should really try to keep your mouth shut when it comes to things you know nothing about.’

 It still hurt unbearably to think about his Godfather, let alone to hear that git mention his name. I wonder what he’s going on about, Harry thought agitatedly, nothing has been announced about what happened in Ireland but there’s certainly been enough stuff printed about Sirius over the last year, not to mention before when he’d been locked up. Harry always tried his best to avoid articles about his Godfather because they were always so wildly inaccurate. When it had became known that he’d escaped Azkaban due to his status as an illegal Animagus it had caused quite a furore. Particularly when the Ministry had admitted that some similar cases had been hushed up.  Then Magical Experts had weighed in and declared such an escape wasn’t possible but this hadn’t stopped the public from being fearful lest other prisoners managed it in the future. Of course, Sirius, had never stopped proclaiming his innocence but his ‘crime’ had left a lasting impression: he was the wizard ‘powerful enough to kill thirteen people with a single curse’ and now ‘no prison was strong enough to hold him’. Merlin only knew which of the hundreds of articles Malfoy was referring to... 

Malfoy raised his eyebrows at him condescendingly. ‘What’s that Potter? You think I don’t know all about your precious Godfather?’

‘I don’t think that, I know it.’ Harry replied shortly. ‘So mind your own business and leave me alone.’ I’m not going to let him rile me. He’s trying to get to me and it’s not going to work. Oblivious to the audience that was building up around the two of them Harry turned to move away but the Slytherin’s next words drew him up short.

‘I know he’s dead.’ Malfoy called after him. ‘What? You thought that it being kept out of the papers meant I wouldn’t know?’ There was a sudden hush as nearby conversations died down as those nearby listened eagerly.

Shocked Harry turned back to face him once more, the colour draining from his face. This was never printed. No one knows. How did he...?  

‘Oh, I’m sorry.’ Malfoy said sarcastically. ‘Have I touched a sore spot? Does Potter miss poor Uncle Black? Do you blub yourself to sleep at night thinking about him?’

Theo, Harry screamed internally. I knew this would happen. He woke me from that nightmare and then the next day I ended up blurting out about what had happened to Jasper and Connor. They must have told him -and he told Malfoy. And now everyone knows.

‘Poor little Potter, such a shame.’ Harry seemed to be struck dumb by a wave of emotions as Malfoy continued to taunt him.

 ‘So tell me Potter. How did he die anyway? Were you there? Do you even know? Did you see him scream, Potter?’Harry just stared back at him, his heart pounding in his chest.

‘Tsk, honestly, it’s almost as if no one ever taught you your manners. Perhaps you would like me to guess? Was it Avada? No? Well perhaps then the Fiendfyre Curse?’

 His hands clenched, Harry shot a look of pure hatred towards Malfoy.

Fuck you, Malfoy.’ He said in a low, shaky voice as he exerted his utmost self control and turned away once more.

‘I suppose, considering the mutt he turned out to be, death from a bad case of mange isn’t out of the question hmm?’  Malfoy’s voice carried over to him.

Harry spun around his eyes blazing. What happened next was instinctive and unplanned. He was so quick that neither Malfoy, Crabbe or Goyle were able to stop him as he socked his arch enemy in the mouth.

Staggering slightly Draco nursed his lip where Harry had hit him. He stared at Harry for a moment as though he couldn’t quite work out what had happened before drawing his wand, smiling coldly.

Time seemed to slow down for Harry as he scrambled in his pocket for his wand whilst Crabbe and Goyle also started to draw theirs. He suddenly realised that the eyes of the whole common room were fixed on him: yet they seemed to be hesitating for the moment, at least. On one hand their head of house had issued strict orders to leave Potter alone, on the other hand they’d just seen him attack the son of one of the most powerful Slytherin families...

Harry began to draw up his shield knowing it would never have a chance of holding against attacks on so many fronts...

At the last instant he heard someone shout ‘No!’ and a crack as both his and Draco’s wand flew out of their hands and across the room. Not that Harry would let this stop him, considering the mood he was presently in.

He might be vastly outnumbered and wandless but rage drove away any trace of fear. Sod it, I might be defenceless but at least Malfoy’s in the same boat. Of course the Slytherin has plenty of support where I have none, but there’s no way I’ll go down without a fight in any case..

. Clenching his fists once more Harry lashed out again. Malfoy might have been able to duck the blow this time if he hadn’t already been distracted by dodging a wayward hex from Goyle. As it was the Slytherin was already slightly off balance when Harry’s second punch sent him sprawling backwards into a heavy wooden bookcase. Of course, support from Crabbe and Goyle might not always be advantageous, Harry noted numbly. That hex was aimed at me, or at least it would have been if Goyle was a bit more skilful at casting.

Any advantage that Goyle's mistake offered didn’t last long however as Harry was forced to throw himself aside to duck a burning hex from Crabbe. That was pretty vicious. Malfoy’s obviously been tutoring his entourage in their dark arts.

 Then a second crack removed Goyle and Crabbe’s wands, and was rapidly followed up by them being stupefied... This time Harry was able to see who was firing off the spells: on the far side of the room Lysander was rapidly making his way towards them, hampered by trying to force his way through the gathering crowd... But even the Slytherin prefect wouldn’t be able to stop Harry and Malfoy now...

His head ringing, feeling somewhat nauseous, Draco had forced himself to his feet. There was no way he’d live this down if he didn’t get his own back on Potter. Where the hell, is my support anyway? He glanced at the Slytherins around him. Crabbe and Goyle were stupefied but what about everyone else- they’d just seen a Gryffindor attack him in the Slytherin common room and they were just stood there gawking! Bastards! As Malfoy grabbed hold of Potter’s collar, choking him, it had the additional benefit of helping him keep his unsteady balance.  

Coughing violently, Harry drew his fist back once more but this time felt his arm trapped behind him. Struggling desperately to twist his collar away from Malfoy’s grip, he blindly slammed the elbow of his left arm into the face of his assailant behind him. With both arms freed he felt a moment’s relief before he noticed Malfoy’s smirk and realised that someone had enervated Crabbe and Goyle and that numerous Slytherins around the room had drawn their wands. Oh fuck.

‘Leave him.’ The voice behind him was muffled. Glancing back Harry realised in horror that he’d hit out at Lysander who had been trying to stop him from striking Malfoy.

‘Get him.’  Malfoy ordered the nearby Slytherins.

‘NO!’ Lysander shouted emphatically. Then seeming to see something at the back of the room ‘Katie: quick, go! No Goyle: I SAID LEAVE HIM.’

As Lysander was busy stunning Goyle for the second time, Crabbe and Malfoy bore down on Harry. Lysander still had all of their wands, but the Slytherins seemed pleased to continue their plans to asphyxiate the-boy-who-lived. It was like Dudley all over again, Harry realised as he felt Crabbe’s  bulk land on top of him while he did his best to roll away from Draco’s kicks. He was just gasping for breath and beginning to see stars in front of his eyes when all of a sudden the crushing weight was lifted swiftly away him and a strong grip pulled him to his feet.

 Winded, doubled over as he desperately fought to fill his lungs with his wheezing breaths, eventually Harry looked up to meet Snape’s enraged glare.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Thank you so much to those who continue to review. It makes so much difference to me to hear what you think. Anyone else out there willing to drop me a line- please do! I only got one review for the last chapter:( I know that's probably partly my own fault as I’m being really slow at updating but I should be able to have the next chapter up later this week if I get my act together because I have already done a lot of it ... What d’you reckon the chance is that Snape will take Harry’s side over Draco...?


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1856