My Enemy's Enemy by halfblood
Summary: Post OoTP. Alternate Timeline. Harry's had a wretched summer. To top it off, Dumbledore insists he continue studies in Occlumency with the dreaded Severus Snape. Will he and Snape learn to get along?
Categories: Snape Equal Status to Harry > Foes Snape and Harry, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Luna, McGonagall, Neville, Original Character, Pomfrey, Remus, Ron, Sirius, Tonks, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, General, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Azkaban Character, Runaway, Slytherin!Harry, SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Death, Neglect, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 38 Completed: No Word count: 163144 Read: 200425 Published: 20 Jun 2009 Updated: 16 Aug 2011
Taking sides by halfblood

Harry fixed his eyes upon his scuffed sneakers, avoiding Snape’s deathly gaze as he continued to take frantic breaths. Awkwardly he made an attempt to straighten out his robes, conscious of how dishevelled he must appear. Around the common room, all the surrounding Slytherins were careful to demonstrate how busy they were: reading, playing cards, engaged in meaningful conversations. Above all there was no sign that any of them had had their wands drawn moments before nor that they had even been aware of any confrontation taking place.

Glaring at the tousled trouble maker in front of him, Snape’s lips set in a thin line before he turned to his Godson.

‘Go and wait for me in my study.’ He told him coldly.

‘Professor...’

Now.

Draco meekly turned tail and set off for Snape’s study without another word.

Well, that must be a first for that spoilt prat, Harry as he sneaked a quick glance at the Slytherin’s retreating form, doing what he’s told without airing his grievances and complaints in full. Mind you perhaps this is where Slytherin cunning comes in. From the expression on Snape’s face, getting far away was bound to be the best course of action for anyone with any sense.

‘As for you two,’ Snape’s eye fell upon Crabbe and Goyle, who without Draco beside them, looked ill at ease and unsure what to say or do. ‘Get out of my sight, but you can be sure to report to Filch tomorrow for the first in what will be an immensely long line of detentions.’

‘Yes, Sir.’ Crabbe mumbled and pulled Goyle after him.

‘And you,’ Snape focused the full force of his black mood back upon Harry. ‘You, follow me.’

***

Snape led the way to his quarters in silence and opened the door with his hand pressed up against the wall in the usual way. Standing aside to let Harry in, he pointed to the sofa and spoke to him in a low, vehement tone, ‘sit there and wait. I’m going to speak to Draco and will be back presently.’

On his way out, the professor paused by the door muttering a spell as he cast his wand around the circumference of the door which glowed a dull brown for a moment, changing the wards Harry supposed.

Alone Harry stood in front of the green sofa which Snape had pointed to and rubbed his bruised knuckles absentmindedly. He’d half expected Snape to start yelling at him the very instant that they were alone and was slightly at a loss to know how to deal with the situation he now found himself in. Part of Harry wished that Snape hadn’t shot off to speak to Malfoy. The Slytherin would manage to get his say in first and would obviously blame everything on him. Of course, Snape was bound to be mad. That was a given. He had always favoured his Godson in the past but Harry was determined to explain exactly what Malfoy had said to start their fight. There was no way that Snape could be on Malfoy’s side when he heard the poisonous bile that the twisted brat had been sprouting.

It seemed like Snape was gone for ages. At first Harry played the conversation and series of events over in his mind, getting his story ready for the inquisition which would doubtlessly come- although when it got to the actual scuffle itself everything had happened so quickly that it was all a bit of a blur really.

Eventually Harry sank onto the sofa. Where has he got to? Perhaps this was some form of unusual punishment- making him sit here for hours, contemplating what had happened? Suddenly Harry remembered the wards. Has Snape trapped me in here? Darting up from the sofa he took a tentative step out which proved this wasn’t the case. I wonder what he was doing to the wards then?

***

Eventually, a full twenty minutes later Snape returned to his rooms. Harry sprang to his feet as the older wizard swept into the room, slamming the door behind him as he launched into a tirade.

‘OF ALL THE ASININE, DIM-WITTED, ABISEMAL BEHAVIOUR, THIS MUST BE THE WORST. THIS REACHES A NEW LOW, POTTER, EVEN FOR YOU.’

Well, I knew the shouting was bound to come eventually. ‘If you’ll just let me explain...’

‘Oh, please explain Potter. Enlighten me about the folly of your actions. I simply cannot wait to hear this. Tell me, as it appears that you have given up all pretence at thinking before you act, am I assume that have you have resigned yourself to your natural stupidity? What on earth were you thinking you foolish, foolish boy?’

‘I wasn’t the one who started it...’

‘Did you or did you not throw the first hex?’ Snape interrupted him.

‘Well ...no actually, I never hexed him. I hit him but even then only after he starting throwing insults. You should have heard him Snape, the things he said...’

‘So you fought Draco muggle–style.’ Snape interrupted his voice heavy with contempt. ‘Because he insulted you. And that’s supposed to excuse your infantile behaviour? You realise that everyone in Slytherin was given strict orders to leave you alone? That as long as you restrained from antagonising them you would be safe, even under the protection of your peers?’

‘Can’t you just listen for a minute?’ Harry replied, acutely aware that while he was being dubbed “Potter” (as was usually the case when Snape was angry) Draco was still “Draco”.

‘The insults weren’t aimed at me. He was saying horrible things about my friends and about Sirius.’

‘So you thought that the best way to deal with that was to start a fight against him in the Slytherin common room where you were outnumbered? You can thank Merlin that Lysander and Katie were there to help you. Has it not entered your thick skull that I can only protect you if you do not do anything as ridiculously dangerous as this?’

‘Well, what did you expect me to do? The things he said...’

‘You should have told me and left me to deal with it. You do not hex, hit or otherwise attack Slytherins. Ever. ’

Harry looked away.

‘Look at me, Harry.’ Snape demanded. ‘This is important. A lot of Slytherins look up to Draco and will follow his lead. Although I would like to think their fear and respect of me will offer protection this will rapidly dissolve if you continue to go around picking fights and hurting prefects. You shall not do this again, no matter what. Understood?

‘Yeah.’ Harry said quietly. He hadn’t meant to hurt Lysander and felt awful about elbowing him like that, when he’d done so much to look out for him as well.

‘You will make amends for today’s debacle by finding Lysander and Draco and apologising to them...’

‘What! No!’ Harry’s shame disappeared in a fit of indignation.

‘Draco will also apologise to you and with assurances from both of you we will be able to put this matter behind us.’ Snape continued regardless of Harry’s interruption.

‘He’ll never apologise!’

‘I assure you, he will.’

‘Yeah right!’ He’d sneer his apology to me and be laughing as he does it! ‘Look Snape, I simply can’t apologise to him,’ Harry repeated.

‘And I can’t trust you out of my sight until you are ready to do so. I can hardly let you go storming off into the next altercation. So I’m making this very simple. You will both apologise. Of course, you can take all the time you need. I believe you know where the spare bedroom is situated.’ Snape replied pointedly.

‘But it’s Friday.’

‘You do realise that I know the days of the week?’

‘So I’m supposed to be playing quidditch first thing tomorrow for Gryffindor!’

‘Then I suggest you apologise quickly if you want to participate in the match.’

‘You’re just doing this so Slytherin will win,’ Harry said angrily.

Snape gave him a long, hard look. Perhaps not then.

Well, whatever. I’m not going to apologise anyway. There’s just no way. I can’t believe he will make me miss the match because of this. ‘You’re crazy if you think I’m going to apologise. I’m not one bit sorry. I’d do exactly the same thing again given the situation over.’

‘Then missing the match will give you some much needed time to reflect on your behaviour.’ Unlike Harry, Snape wasn’t raising his voice although there was a glint in his eyes.

‘You know I really thought you changed towards me. That you’d stopped acting like such a git and were actually half-decent some of the time...’

‘Well obviously you were wrong.’ Snape replied cuttingly.

‘... but I should have known you’d take his side. Well, you can dream on if you think I’m going to apologise. You Slytherins are all just a load of ...‘

Snape glued Harry’s tongue before he could get any further.

‘And I think I’ll stop you right there. Before you manage to get yourself into even more trouble.’

Frustrated Harry tried fruitlessly to unglue his tongue.

Bastard. He wouldn’t listen and now he literally won’t even let me speak. Removing the hex was difficult, because by it’s very nature the counter spell had to be wordless. Harry couldn’t usually perform non-verbal spells and he still hadn’t been handed his wand back since the fight- so it would have to be wandless as well. Against all the odds his utter determination eventually paid off on his third attempt to both his and Snape’s surprise.

‘I expected better of you than this.’ Harry eventually said hoarsely.

As did I of you.’ Snape snarled back. ‘Now get to your room until you’re ready to apologise.

‘I’ll never be ready to apologise.’

Your choice, Potter.’

‘You said it was wrong for the Dursleys to lock me in my room and yet when it comes down to it you’re no bloody different.’

‘Are you locked in? Are you being starved or beaten?’ Snape demanded fiercely.

‘You’re making me apologise when it wasn’t my fault! They never humiliated me this much.’ Harry replied with feeling.

‘Harry, stop being a drama queen,’ Snape said sternly. ‘Now go. Immediately! I mean it Potter, you are exhausting what little patience I ever had with you! Do I need to drag you to your room?

Shooting the professor a resentful glance Harry stormed off to the spare room, slamming the door shut behind him.

Bastard!

He was one to insist on apologises! Look at the whole episode regarding the broomstick. Had Snape ever apologised? Had he heck! Of course, Harry was fairly sure the older wizard did regret destroying his precious link to Sirius but he’d never actually came out and said so. And it matters, a surprising amount.

Harry stormed back out of his room.

What about you then?!’

Snape looked up from the parchment he had just opened feeling the last ounce of his patience drain away.

What about me? He asked his voice dangerously silky.

‘You never apologised about my broomstick!’

Severus paused. Actually the brat is right. I haven’t. Snape had thought his remorse had gone without saying and that Harry hadn’t actually needed him to spell it out to him but perhaps he’d been wrong.

‘You’re correct.’ He replied in a clipped, formal tone. ‘I didn’t apologise for ruining your broomstick and that was remiss of me. I exceedingly regret how I acted and hope that you will feel able to move on and put the matter behind us.’

But you’re only saying that now to make me apologise!

‘Harry!’ Severus said bluntly. ‘Why are you insisting on starting a fight between us?’

‘Because it’s not fair and I knew this would happen. Malfoy’s your Godson so you’re bound to take his side. You’re punishing me and not him when what he said was horrible.’

Don’t you dare to whine at me about being fair. All you have to do is apologise, for starting the first brawl in the Slytherin common room in over ten years, for placing yourself in danger through utter stupidity and for attacking a Slytherin prefect! Count yourself lucky that I am only making you apologise. I ought to issue you detentions for the rest of the term. Remember that any repercussions from your obstinacy in delaying your apology are entirely your own look out.’

Doesn’t he get it? I’d prefer any amount of detentions to apologising to Malfoy. The git insulted Sirius. He asked me if he’d screamed when he was killed for Merlin’s sake. Well he bloody deserved those punches and I won’t disrespect Sirius by pretending otherwise.

‘You know what? I give up.’ Harry headed for the door out of Snape’s rooms.

‘And where do you think you are going?’

Harry stood in the doorway, his arms folded defiantly.

‘Back to Gryffindor. I should never have come to Slytherin. Professor McGonagall told me I don’t have to stay here, that I can go back whenever I please, if things don’t work out.’

‘Well she was obviously misinformed. Leave the door alone.’

Harry took another step towards the door.

‘LEAVE IT!’ Snape bellowed at him.

Within arms reach of the door Harry hesitated.

‘Do not think for one moment that I will hesitate to drag you back here should you step through that door.’ Snape ground out.

Harry didn’t move from his position by the door. ‘Bastard.’

From the look of outrage Snape’s face the boy quickly realised that he’d vocalised his thought unintentionally. Shit. He’s literally going to kill me now, Harry thought miserably.

‘I’m sorry Snape... I mean Professor Snape.’ He said hastily. ‘But this isn’t working. It was never going to work. Me being here.’

Snape pointed his wand at the spare bedroom, opening the door wordlessly. ‘Get in there.’

This time Harry didn’t argue but headed into the room and shut the door quietly behind himself, resigning himself to a long stay.

***

Harry didn’t see anymore of Snape that night. A house elf timidly knocked on the door before bringing in pyjamas, a glass of milk, a toothbrush and his wand. Absentmindedly Harry showered in the adjoining bathroom and changed for bed. Theoretically he knew that Snape would have to head off on his rounds at some point but he wasn’t really thinking about sneaking out. If he’d been that desperate to leave he would have tried to storm out earlier and damned the consequences. No more than anything Harry was deeply upset. Snape knew what Sirius had meant to him and continued to brush off Malfoy’s insults like they meant nothing.

After a restless night, at just after 6 am, Harry gave up on sleep and decided to practise his occlumency. Perhaps it would calm him down and make him feel less on edge.

***

At 7.30 am Snape knocked and opened the door to find Harry listlessly sat cross-legged on the bed.

‘Breakfast.’

‘I’m not...’

‘You don’t have a choice.’ Snape cut him off sharply. ‘You know I won’t stand you missing meals. You’ve got ten minutes to get ready and come through.’

The door closed again.

Reluctantly Harry washed and dressed before joining Snape.

Sitting opposite the Professor and toying with a bowl of cereal neither of them spoke for some time. The long occlumency session had helped to calm Harry down somewhat but he still felt incredibly bitter.

‘Tea?’

‘Huh?’ Looking up from his breakfast, for a moment Harry’s head swam with giddiness and then his eyes widened.

Snape frowned and glanced beside him following the boy’s line of sight. ‘Are you all right?’

‘Fine.’ Harry mumbled hurriedly looking down at his cereal bowl again. That was eery. Perched on the top of the chair beside the Professor he had seen the same crow he’d seen the other day for a full two seconds. What was more worrisome was that Snape clearly hadn’t seen anything when he had looked at the same point.

‘Yes I’ll have some tea, thanks.’ Harry did his best to act naturally, he’d rather that everyone didn’t know that he was going mad. Somewhat shakily he passed his cup across to the elder wizard, whose eyes locked onto his for a moment.

Sensing Snape’s subtle legilimency as they briefly made eye contact he was annoyed but not altogether surprised. The occlumency session this morning had no doubt heightened his awareness so the light attempt seemed clumsier than it would have done otherwise. The irony was that even if he hadn’t sensed the legilimency his occlumency sheild was more than adequate against such an attack without his concentration. Snape knew this, but perhaps having a quick go at legilimency was so second nature to him that it didn’t occur to him not to attempt it.

‘I think you’ll find you need to ask me questions these days, Professor.’ He said careful to use the wizards title after his slip last night.

‘Indeed.’ If Snape was ashamed at being caught out he hid it well. ‘What were you looking at just now?’

For a moment Harry was tempted to tell him the truth but then he remembered how unsympathetic Snape was being at the moment.

‘I thought I saw something for a second, but it was just a shadow.’ Harry shrugged. ‘Sometimes I’m a bit jumpy after I’ve been focusing on occluding.’

‘That’s what you were doing this morning?’

‘It’s what I do every morning. Pretty much. And I woke early today so I thought I’d give it a good go.’

‘May I...?

Perhaps Snape was trying to make up for his previous unannounced attempt, as this time he waited for Harry’s nod before pointing his wand and saying: ‘Legilimens.’

Some moments later he nodded his satisfaction.

‘I think we’re more than ready to focus our attention on shields now.’ He said at last.

‘I don’t need to work on occlumency any more?’

‘That wasn’t what I said.’ Snape replied. ‘I’ll continue to test your defences periodically. And I’d like Dumbledore to test them as well but I’m fairly satisfied with your ability to occlude for the time being.’

A statement which was high praise indeed coming from Snape, Harry thought but he wasn’t able to feel any pride or contentment in Snape’s approval.

‘So have you decided how you are going to spend your day?’ Snape asked him before taking a sip of his tea.

Harry’ s jaw tightened somewhat. ‘I’m not going to apologise if that’s what you’re asking.’

‘Your choice of course.’ Snape replied casually. ‘In which case, I will no doubt see you at lunch later. I have a quidditch match to watch.’

***

For the rest of the morning Harry restlessly plucked books off Snape’s shelves randomly, unable to concentrate long enough to read any of them. He was highly conscious that the quidditch match would have started by now. What made the whole matter worse was the fact that Gryffindor were playing Slytherin: Malfoy is playing at this very moment.

Leafing through another unbearably, dry potions text, Harry threw it down suddenly as a thought occurred to him. Malfoy will catch the snitch. He’s bound to, given my rotten luck. That git who caused all this trouble will win the match while I’m holed up here. And all the Slytherins will probably have a good laugh about how his insults paid off.

Screw this.

This time Harry didn’t hesitate before leaving Snape’s rooms.

***

Heading into the Slytherin common room, Harry wasn’t surprised to find the place deserted. Everyone would still be outside watching the game, after all.

Striding through the room Harry almost didn’t see the lone figure curled up in a gloomy corner of the room until he stood up.

‘Potter! Thank Merlin. I’ve been looking everywhere for you.’

‘Malfoy.’ He said warily, remembering how only hours before he’d thumped him. Mind you it wasn't as if the other boy had held back, he'd certainly booted him a couple times in the shins while he'd been on the floor.

Malfoy stepped closer to him and Harry was shocked as he took in the other boys appearance. A huge dark bruise was spread over his left cheekbone and his eye looked swollen and sore. In addition to this he had huge bags underneath his eyes as though he hadn’t slept in a month and he looked unnaturally pale, even for him.

‘I need to speak to you Potter.’ Malfoy Looked Harry directly in the eyes without any trace of a sneer. ‘I want to tell you how sorry I am for how I behaved yesterday.’

To be continued...
End Notes:
Please review!

Oh and just in case anyone's wondering I will probably show Snape's conversation with Draco in the next chapter.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1856