My Enemy's Enemy by halfblood
Summary: Post OoTP. Alternate Timeline. Harry's had a wretched summer. To top it off, Dumbledore insists he continue studies in Occlumency with the dreaded Severus Snape. Will he and Snape learn to get along?
Categories: Snape Equal Status to Harry > Foes Snape and Harry, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Luna, McGonagall, Neville, Original Character, Pomfrey, Remus, Ron, Sirius, Tonks, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, General, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Azkaban Character, Runaway, Slytherin!Harry, SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Death, Neglect, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 38 Completed: No Word count: 163144 Read: 200409 Published: 20 Jun 2009 Updated: 16 Aug 2011
The best thing ever by halfblood
Author's Notes:
Afraid it’s a short chapter this time, peeps. After my last one took forever I thought I’d just stick what I’ve done so far up straight away...

***

Last chapter: Connor was an animagus. The crow and Connor were one and the same. Perhaps Harry wasn’t as mad as he had once feared.

Harry stared dumbly at the crow in front of him, his mouth half open in amazement. He still hadn’t regained his power of speech when Connor transformed back to his normal form. He smoothed back his slightly wavy, brown hair; drinking in the shocked expression on Harry’s face.

‘Say something, then.’

‘I... You... It was you. You’re the crow. I can’t believe it.’

Connor gave a short chuckle.

‘Fucking hell, all this time, I thought I was going mad. I still don’t get it. Just now, you just flew into me, but you were right in front of me at the same time. I mean what the hell is that all about?!’

Connor shrugged, his eyes sparkling.

‘Merlin.’ Harry’s eyes lit up and he clutched Connor sleeve compulsively. ‘You have no idea what this means. I saw the crow with Padfoot... Merlin, Connor. You’ve been near Sirius when you were flying!’

‘Sirius-as in your Godfather?’ Connor said slowly.

‘He’s an animagus too, have you noticed him- a big, black dog down by the lake?’

‘Um, Harry, I’m not being funny, but you do mean Sirius as in your recently deceased Godfather?’ Connor asked again.

‘Well obviously, he’s not dead if he’s here at Hogwarts! They never found his body... ’ Harry explained impatiently.

‘Well, I’ve not seen him.’ Connor sounded awkward.

‘Well he was there. Maybe you didn’t notice him. You have flown above the lake beside the Forbidden Forest?’

‘I’ve flown all around Hogwart’s grounds. What do you think I’ve been doing when I’ve been slipping off?’

‘I don’t know. I don’t really know anything about you.’

‘I think I’d have noticed a dog. I’m pretty aware of other animals when I’m transformed. It’s pretty instinctive for me to notice anything which might be predator or prey.’

‘I’m telling you, he was there! Unless... Oh! Perhaps it hasn’t happened yet. Perhaps my dreams, all the weird stuff I’ve been seeing is what is going to happen. Maybe one day you’ll fly ’round our dorm and land on my chest, and one day Sirius will come back to Hogwarts.’

Maybe one day I’ll be sent back to the Dursleys and one day I’ll be cursed by that agonising stabbing spell, Harry thought internally. But none of that matters right now. And if my dreams turn out to be true it will all be worth it if it means Sirius survives.

‘I might see him,’ Harry breathed in wonder. ‘If I go with you to the lake when you transform. I might see him again.’

He was holding onto Connor again in excitement.

‘You have no idea what this means to me!’

‘I think I’m beginning to.’ Connor said releasing himself from Harry’s painful grip.

There was a knock on the door, followed by Jasper’s voice. ‘Connor? Harry? Is everything OK in there?’

‘Fine,’ Harry called, before turning back to Connor. ‘We’ll go tonight. In my dream it was dark when he was there. I can’t wait to tell everyone about this. When they hear...’

Wait.’ Connor cried in alarm. ‘Hang on a moment. What do you mean tell everyone?’

‘Well, you know, tell them that you’re the Crow. That my dreams are bloody real. That there’s a chance...that Sirius is actually alive!’

You’re not telling anyone that I’m an animagus.’

It was the first time Harry had ever heard Connor sound utterly serious.

‘No, of course not. Not everyone. Just Ron, Hermione and Snape, that’s all.’

‘No. I won’t have it. I don’t want anyone to know. It’s private, Harry. No one knows apart from my family and Declan. I shouldn’t have even shown you, you’ve no idea how much shit I’d be in if anyone found out.’

‘You don’t have to worry, they won’t tell anyone.’

‘No. It’s not on. Promise me you won’t tell anyone.’

‘I... it’s about my Godfather, how can I not to tell them what I’ve found out?’

Connor shrugged. ‘Promise me. Or I won’t take you with me when I transform.’

Harry stared at the Irish boy. Well, you’re not giving me a bloody choice then are you? Still if I get to see Sirius what else matters?

‘I promise.’

For the briefest moment Harry thought he felt the faintest nudge of legilimency against his shield, but it was gone almost immediately before it barely even registered with him. He strained his mind, trying to detect any further attempt but couldn’t find anything.

There was another knock on the door and Jasper’s voice floated through once more.

‘Um, Harry? Lysander needs you for something.’

With one last long look at Harry, Connor removed the spells from the door and left the bathroom. Following him out Harry faced the Slytherin prefect who was stood in the doorway to their dorm.

‘Um, I broke the tooth-mug,’ Harry said, feeling he should explain why the two of them had been in the bathroom together. ‘Connor was helping me clear up the mess.’

Lysander gave him a curious look, clearly not believing a word of it but choosing not to investigate whatever mischief they were in the midst of.

‘I’ve a note for you Potter,’ he said handing Harry a piece of parchment, ‘from Snape.’

‘Thanks,’ Harry took the sheet from the prefect, who turned to leave the dorm. He unfolded it and glanced over the black scrawl.

The note was concise to the point of being abrupt. Snape clearly wasn’t taking any chances, should it be read by any third parties:

Potter,

Unforeseen events have meant that this afternoon’s Remedial Potions Lesson will have to be rescheduled.

S.S

Unforeseen events, did that mean a Deatheater Meeting, Harry wondered. He felt disappointed, as he was absolutely bursting to tell Snape what he had learnt. But I can’t anyway, can I? he reminded himself belatedly.

I hope he’s ok at the meeting and that Voldemort doesn’t hurt him again, was the next thing to run through his mind. It was very strange no longer having any visions from Voldemort in recent weeks as it kept Harry curiously detached from whatever horrors were going on.

Not that I don’t have enough visions to be going on with anyway. Harry couldn’t stop the huge grin which spread over his face. Sirius! I might see him tonight. Although I don’t really have any idea what night he might come on, he admitted to himself. It could be any night. Perhaps not for ages, but it might be tonight. It just might be.

***

In the end Harry spent the afternoon in the Gryffindor common room. It was all he could do to hold back his beaming smile as the afternoon’s revelation continuously ran through his head. Restraining himself from mentioning anything to do with his dreams or his Godfather required an almost superhuman effort and it soon became apparent to his friends that something was up.

For one thing, he couldn’t sit still. He fidgeted like a crazy man in his impatience for the day to be over, until even Hermione was begging Ron to take him outside on his broom again.

When Harry remarked that he couldn’t be bothered to go flying, even Ron began to get really worried.

‘Are you ok, mate?’ He asked bluntly.

‘I’m fine, honestly,’ Harry assured him.

‘Did something happen to you between lunch and now?’ Hermione asked shrewdly.

‘I just went back to my dorm,’ Harry replied semi-truthfully.

‘But something happened? Or someone said something?’

‘I... can’t really say. I’d tell you if I could, I promise.’

‘So something did happen!’ Ron exclaimed.

‘You would say if you weren’t OK though?’ Hermione looked him straight in the eye, ‘if whatever happened was a bad thing?’

‘Honestly, Hermione. Everything’s great.’ Harry said with utmost sincerity. ‘What happened to me was the best thing ever, believe me.’

Hermione stared at her friend a while longer before nodding slowly.

***

Hermione waited until Harry eventually made his way back to the Slytherin dormitory before turning to Ron.

‘I think it’s to do with Sirius.’

‘You what?’

‘Whatever’s happened to him. You saw what he was like and he said it was “the best thing ever”. I think Sirius has been in contact with him but he has to keep it secret.’

‘Sirius is dead, Hermione.’

‘No,’ she corrected him. ‘We thought Sirius was dead. I think Harry’s just found out that that it wasn’t true.’

‘You’re mad.’ Ron said, but his tone was mild. ‘There’s nothing to suggest it’s anything to do with Sirius.’

There was a long pause as the two of them looked at each other.

‘He did look awfully happy didn’t he?’ He said at last. ‘I wonder why he’d have to keep it quiet though?’

***

As soon as Harry arrived back at his dorm Connor dragged him back out again onto the corridor.

He gave a quick glance to check no one was within hearing distance and cast a quick silencing charm to be on the safe side.

‘I’ve been thinking, Harry- I don’t think it’s going to be a good idea, us going out tonight.’

‘What do you mean?’

‘If it was during the day it’d be different. I wouldn’t mind coming with you.’

‘No. It’s got to be night time,’ Harry told him impatiently. ‘What’s the problem?’

‘We’re going to get caught. I mean, I’ve been caught a few times but that’s always been within the castle. As soon as I’m outside it hasn’t been a problem for me, as I can just transform, but it will different for you. What’s Snape going to say if he catches you in the grounds at night time? I can see that it’s all going to end up coming out about me being an animagus.’

‘Don’t worry,’ Harry told him. ‘I’ve got a cloak that will make it easy for me to creep around without anyone noticing. I’ll show you tonight, as soon as the others are asleep.’

Harry hadn’t used his invisibility cloak at all this term and he certainly hadn’t shown it to his dorm-mates, preferring to keep it hidden away. It will be perfect for tonight though, he told himself.

Connor still looked uncertain.

‘Trust me,’ Harry continued to reassure him, ‘it’s going to be fine. And if I do get caught I promise I’d never tell anyone, about you being an animagus. Just wait, it’s going to be brilliant tonight.’

***

To be continued...
End Notes:
Thanks to everyone who reviewed. You definitely motivate me to keep going!

We’ll see in the next chapter if things are as straightforward as Harry hopes...

I know this chapter is an awful lot shorter than my last ones. So tell me, would you rather I posted shorter chapters more often or longer ones with more of a wait?


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1856