My Enemy's Enemy by halfblood
Summary: Post OoTP. Alternate Timeline. Harry's had a wretched summer. To top it off, Dumbledore insists he continue studies in Occlumency with the dreaded Severus Snape. Will he and Snape learn to get along?
Categories: Snape Equal Status to Harry > Foes Snape and Harry, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Luna, McGonagall, Neville, Original Character, Pomfrey, Remus, Ron, Sirius, Tonks, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, General, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Azkaban Character, Runaway, Slytherin!Harry, SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Death, Neglect, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 38 Completed: No Word count: 163144 Read: 200408 Published: 20 Jun 2009 Updated: 16 Aug 2011
The calm before the storm by halfblood

Harry finished his assignment with an hour to spare before lunch. He’d worked hard and it was a damn good essay. Even Snape couldn’t fault it, he thought. Well, he could and he probably would but Harry knew there would be no real reason for him not to be satisfied.

To Harry’s surprise Snape accepted the assignment with only the briefest of barbed comments as he remarked coldly ‘Wonders will never cease. Surprising what you can achieve given sufficient motivation.’

They entered the dining room where a simple lunch of sandwiches and fruit awaited them. This time Harry took his time eating his meal. Throughout lunch Snape’s thoughts seemed to be elsewhere which was confirmed when after one cup of tea and half a sandwich he pushed his plate aside and stood up.

‘I have a potion which I must finish. It may take up to an hour. You may read in your room or go outside until I am ready for you.’

Harry couldn’t hold back a slight grin at the thought of delaying his occlumency lesson and was about to set off to get his broomstick but at the moment decided to linger. As soon as the older wizard had left the room, Harry stealthily pocketed several pieces of fruit in his robes and headed back to his room to stash them away. There was no way he was going hungry again if he could help it.

Then Harry grabbed his broom and headed outside. Practising his tightest twists and turns, he forgot his worries as he immersed himself totally in his actions. He it had only been a day but he’d already started to miss flying. He’d loved the past month with Sirius. The two of them had got into the habit of going off on their broomsticks at night time. It was fun, exciting and sometimes even a little scary because it was more challenging than normal flying. Usually Sirius illuminated the route for them both as they weaved between trees and over brocks and streams. One time they had stayed out until dawn was breaking and they had finished flying to the rising sun amidst the birds choruses.

A good three quarters of an hour later Harry noticed Snape stood down by the side of the house waiting for him impatiently. Exhibiting a graceful figure of eight movement Harry headed back towards him at full speed, zooming down to land beside him, only slowing down at the very last moment.

‘POTTER!’

Harry jumped, knocked out of his contented, bubble of relaxation which the flying had provided, by a bellow beside his ear. He stumbled off his broom to look up to a white faced Snape seemingly beside himself with rage.

‘Are you trying to kill both yourself and I? What on earth do you think you were doing?’

Confused, Harry eventually realised that his landing had shaken up the professor. Biting back a grin of amusement he apologised breezily.

‘Sorry.’

‘Do you want me to take that broom off you?’ Snape demanded.

‘No!’ Harry answered hugging the broom which Sirius had given to him close to his chest.

‘Well in that case I suggest: That. You. Do. Not. Try. That. Again.’

Harry nodded appeasingly, following Snape into the house. He even reluctantly admitted to himself that Snape probably had a point. Even Sirius had been shocked on occasion by some of Harry’s broomstick antics and he shared Harry’s daredevil tendencies himself. Of course Sirius’ fear hadn’t been shown in anger to Harry, he didn’t raise his voice. He’d just been very matter of fact. When he caught Harry practising hanging from his broomstick by one arm at sixty feet he’d shook his head and said matter of factly.

‘You shouldn’t do that. You’re not good enough to do it safely for another year or two and even then not that high and not without cushioning charms in case you fall.’

‘I’d do it at school if it let me catch the snitch.’ Harry had protested.

‘Yes but with Professors supervising and a mediwitch to hand. Just don’t do it again at least unless you tell me first and we practise just above the ground.’

‘’Cause that’s realistic for when I’m playing for real.’ Harry had grumbled to himself but he’s listened to Sirius and avoided that move and tempered some of the others at his request.

As Snape led the way into the house Harry realised with surprise that they were heading for the library for their lesson.

Opening the door to the library Severus pointed wordlessly at the chairs next to the desk, his eyes narrow as he watched Potter sit down. So like his father in every way, with his ridiculous quidditch stunts and utter conceitedness in his own abilities. The brat wouldn’t study if his life or the wizarding world depended on it. He would however risk life and limb to get attention on that damn broomstick.

‘I take it that you practised clearing your mind before going to sleep last night?’He noticed at once the guilty expression on Potter’s face.

‘Why do you think we are doing these lessons Potter? Do you think I enjoy witnessing excerpts from your tiresome, little mind?’

‘I did clear my mind.’ Potter protested. ‘Well, I tried...’

‘You tried.’ Snape sneered. ‘One thing that can certainly be said for you Potter is that you are very trying.’

Ignore him, stay calm... Harry told himself. You’re used to his griping. It’s not like you haven’t had worse from the Dursleys, he’s just an unpleasant, old git who hasn’t got a life apart from his stinky potions...

‘Perhaps if you could explain to me how to cl...’

Harry jumped at Snape’s sudden movement but the wizard was just stalking towards the bookshelf behind him. Reaching for a heavy, leather bound book he turned and without a warning shoved it at Harry who looked down at it in surprise.

‘The Last Defence: Creating A Void in Your Mind. Practical examples from four natural occlumenists.’

‘Today you will start by reading this for an hour. Then we will practise.’ With that Snape turned abruptly leaving Harry alone in the library.

Severus headed back to his potions. He didn’t have time for these distractions. He had several potions to finish and was expecting the Dark Lord to summon him any day now. He had full teaching duties, to say nothing of his head of house role to prepare for with less than a fortnight before the start of term. He was tired and grumpy and this was supposed to be his holiday.

He knew that nothing beat real experience when it came to occlumency and that thrusting a book at the boy would do no good without giving him opportunity to practise. At least he had bought himself another much needed hour...

Heading back an hour later, Severus was surprised to see the boy was actually making a pretence at reading the book. He’d half expected to see him destroying the place or daydreaming like he did throughout his potions lessons.

Harry looked up at his professor as he entered the room.

‘This book...’ he said quietly ‘its brilliant.’

Brilliant? Severus had been expecting a complaint about the book being boring or long winded. The child was certainly no Hermione Granger prone to enthusing over textbooks.

‘Well let’s see if you have actually gained anything from it.’ He replied coldly. ‘Legilimus.’Just for a second, it seemed like there was some resistance before it swept away by the force of Severus’ mind.

‘Pathetic.’ The Severus spat.

Without giving Potter a chance to get his breath back Severus raised his wand again, and again. Disappointed, he eventually allowed the boy a few minutes respite.

Shakily, Harry picked himself up from the floor where he had ended after their last bout. He had a stinking headache and felt nauseous.

‘Can I try reading the book some more?’

‘Do you think the Dark Lord will given you time to consult a book when he is in front of you?’ Snape asked sarcastically raising his wand again.

The memories flashed past. The Dursleys over and over, Sirius, Ron, Hermione. Each memory flung away as quickly as it was breached as Snape impatiently trashed Harry’s mind waiting for him to throw him out.

On the floor again. Harry held his head, blinking away the tears which had sprang to his eyes.

‘Please- no more.’ He said weakly.

‘And on this the future of the wizarding world depends.’ Snape scoffed looking down at him in disgust leaving the room with his robes billowing behind him.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Coming soon: Harry refuses to co-operate in his next occlumency lesson


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1856