Never Alone by Julz
Summary: Severus Snape is a complicated man, but when it comes to protecting Harry Potter's life, there is nothing more simple than succeeding. When Severus finds himself caring for the boy after an attack, how will their relationship change? Snape-Harry mentor fic.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Arthur, Bellatrix, Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Fred George, Ginny, Hagrid, Hermione, Lucius, McGonagall, Molly, Neville, Original Character, Petunia, Remus, Ron, Shacklebolt, Sinistra, Tonks, Vernon, Voldemort, Wormtail
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Out of Character Snape, Overly-protective Snape
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Animagus!Snape, Kidnapped, Pregnancy, Sibling Addition, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 6th summer, 6th Year, 7th summer
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Character Death, Neglect, Out of Character, Profanity, Rape, Romance/Het, Romance/Slash, Self-harm, Suicide Themes, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 62 Completed: Yes Word count: 397611 Read: 400106 Published: 24 Jun 2009 Updated: 10 Feb 2016
Close Yet Far by Julz
Author's Notes:
So, who else was disappointed with the movie adaptation Half-Blood Prince? Mhmm...so, here’s a new chapter to distract yourself from the pain of it! Oh yeah, this is the first ever beta’d chapter! Thanks to Vincent Severus Mycroft, my beta! After this story is finished, I’ll probably go back and make edits in the first 15 chapters that he went back and beta’d for me. For now, I’m going to focus on writing the story some more! Enjoy!

Harry could not sleep, no matter how hard he tried. His new room in Snape’s quarters was really nice and fairly large, but it was much too quiet, and always cold. He loved having his own bathroom, and his desk was loaded with whatever supplies he could possibly ask for. So far, his experience with living in the dungeons was going good, and his Occlumency lessons with Snape were starting to improve drastically as they continued.

However, every time Harry thought about blocking his mind, the only thing that he could think of was Draco, and the way his pale form looked in the hospital wing on the first day he went to see the Slytherin. He ended up having to leave as he became overwhelmed and didn’t want Madam Pomfrey seeing him in such a state.

Giving up trying to sleep as a bad job, Harry got out of bed and pulled on his dressing gown and slippers. He knelt down and opened his trunk, searching around for his cloak and map. After finding them, he threw the cloak over himself and unfolded the map.

“I solemnly swear I am up to no good,” he said while tapping the worn map with his wand. Ink began to spread over the yellowing parchment, displaying the names and locations of every single person in the castle.

Harry looked first for Snape, making sure the man was in his own room and would not notice him leaving. Snape was apparently sitting at his desk, so he was still awake. Harry would have to be extra quiet while sneaking out.

Next person to check for was Filch, who looked to be in his office, with Mrs. Norris sitting next to him. He did a quick scan of the rest of the halls and saw only a Ravenclaw Prefect patrolling the seventh floor corridor near Ravenclaw Tower.

Folding the map up and storing it in an inside pocket, Harry made his way quietly out of his room and into the sitting room of Snape’s and his quarters. He looked down the hall towards Snape’s room and saw a soft candle glow seeping underneath the door and heard the faint scratching of a quill. Using a silencing charm to quiet his footsteps, and an oiling charm to keep the dungeon door from squeaking, Harry pointed his wand at the strange door, which had no handle or lock and looked like it was a part of the wall rather than an opening.

Abrire…” An outline of a door glowed around the wall for a few seconds before an actual door appeared and clicked open. Harry was afraid Snape would have heard the click out of paranoia, but the Potions Master did not come out to investigate.

Harry took a deep breath and wrapped the cloak closer around his still smaller-than-average frame and slipped out of Snape’s quarters, carefully closing the door behind him, which sealed into the wall once more. Harry groaned slightly as he realized he was going to have to use a locating charm again to find the door; all the dungeon walls looked the same, and he could never remember which one was really the door.

Up two flights of stairs, Harry pulled out the map and did a quick check once more. He didn’t see anything out of the ordinary, so he folded it up and kept on his way. He finally reached the infirmary and carefully opened the tall doors, hoping the hinges did not squeak, which was quite common in the old school. He let out a relieved breath as he made it through the door without a peep.

Harry looked around the small hospital wing and didn’t see anyone, awake or asleep. Down at the very end of the ward, a single bed was closed off behind stark white curtains, signaling that that was where Draco was bound to be lying, pale and asleep for who knew how long to come.

He walked slowly over to the curtained bed, feeling his heart beat quicker in his chest. He didn’t know what he expected to see, or why he had come back here after his initial overwhelmed reaction the first time. He reached a hand out from under his cloak and pulled the curtain back slowly. A small fairy light was hanging over Draco’s bed, softly illuminating the Slytherin’s pale, aristocratic features.

Harry slipped all the way behind the curtain and pulled it closed all the way once more. He gulped down the lump in his throat as he moved to sit in the chair sitting a few feet from Draco’s bedside, pulling the cloak off of himself as he sat down. He wasn’t sure how long he sat there just staring at Draco before he finally found the courage to speak, but it was probably a good twenty minutes or so.

“I’m sorry, Draco…I should never have done what I did. I should have listened to you. I feel like such an idiot. But…I have a question for you. Why on earth did you pull me out of the way, sacrifice yourself, for me? I just don’t understand…You’ve always hated me, and even though we’d gotten on a bit better this summer, I never thought you would ever risk your own life for me. What were you thinking? I just want to understand, and I wish you could hear me, know how sorry I am that it’s you in that bed and not me.

“Sometimes, I wish that it was me in your place, blissfully unaware of the hell going on in the Wizarding world right now. Sometimes I think being woefully unconscious for Merlin knows how long would be much more preferable. I sort of envy you because you get this escape, but then I realize how stupid and cowardly that sounds, and that you probably wish we could switch places, too. Or maybe, perhaps not, since you did take all those spells for me to begin with.

“I can’t sleep, I can barely eat, and Ron has stopped speaking to me because I moved in with Severus down in the dungeons. I feel very…separated from everyone else, not because of my new living situation, but because I feel…alien, like a whole different species than everyone around me. The hero, or anti-hero, as Hermione likes to call me.

“I never wanted any of this – the fame, fortune, fans. I just want to be a normal teenager, but I guess that’s too much to ask. I guess you were never technically a ‘normal’ teenager, either. You’re life hasn’t exactly been drama-less, given who you were raised by. At least we can say we have that in common…” Harry continued to talk about everything and nothing with the comatose Slytherin, feeling immensely better just getting everything off of his chest.

What Harry wasn’t aware of was that an alarm had gone off as soon as Harry had left his room, alerting Snape to his departure immediately. Having knowledge of the boy’s clever map, Severus waited a good amount of time – long enough so that Harry could get to where he was undoubtedly going and pay no more attention to his map – before following the faint glow only visible to him that was his tracking spell on Harry. The boy was foolish to think that Severus would not be monitoring his every move; when Severus had a job to do, he took it very seriously, including protecting his newly acquired charge.

Standing in the shadows of the faint fairy lights hanging high in the ceiling, Severus listened to the Gryffindor go on and on, talking to his godson, who may very well be able to hear him, but unable to respond. It struck a kind of sympathetic nerve in him to hear Harry pour his soul out to Draco, desperately seeking forgiveness from the Slytherin and wishing he could understand Draco’s uncharacteristic fit of bravery.

Severus and Harry both held that curiosity, as Severus would never have thought Draco, a Slytherin by definition to the core, would ever sacrifice himself for a Gryffindor, or anyone else for that matter; especially if said Gryffindor was Harry Potter. Figuring that Harry wasn’t in any danger here in the infirmary talking to a comatose peer, Severus headed back down to his quarters, where he had been sitting up late at night for the past week researching anything and everything that might help awaken Draco once more. 

S~S~S~S

“You look exhausted, Harry. Have you been sleeping well?”

Harry and Hermione were on their way to Defense on Tuesday morning, the sky an ugly overcast gray that threatened rain. Harry shifted his bag on his shoulder, barely able to keep his eyes open. He sat in the hospital wing with Draco all night, falling asleep sometime near dawn and waking up only an hour and a half later by the sound of Madam Pomfrey leaving her quarters.

“Not really, maybe I’ll ask Severus for some Dreamless Sleep tonight so I can catch up. Would you mind trying to keep me awake in classes today?” Harry said, looking at his best friend pleadingly. He didn’t really have any intentions of asking Snape for the potion; he wanted to see Draco again.

Hermione frowned, shifting her much heavier school bag on her shoulders. “Did you just call Professor Snape by his first name?” Hermione asked, ignoring Harry’s request entirely.

Harry mentally kicked himself as they reached the Defense classroom and browsed around for seats before choosing two in the very front, a ways away from Ron, who was sitting in the back with Dean and Seamus. Snape had asked Harry to refer to him as something other than ‘sir’ and ‘Professor’ while in the privacy of their quarters, but he still had to use a respectful title in classes and such. “Er, yeah; Sev – Professor Snape asked me to use his first name while not in public. Something about helping me to adjust and not feeling like a prison guard…” Harry mumbled, his cheeks staining lightly as Hermione gave him an impish grin.

“He’s really changed a lot, Harry; that’s good. I mean, he’s still pretty nasty when he’s angry, but the way he treats you now – it’s amazing. I might actually start hating him less,” Hermione said with a thoughtful expression.

Before Harry could express his shock at Hermione’s admission, Remus Lupin entered the classroom, carrying his trusty battered briefcase along with him. The entire classroom broke out into whispered conversations, some students blatantly pointing at the returning Professor.

“Good morning sixth years, and welcome too N.E.W.T. level Defense Against the Dark Arts. I’m your instructor, Professor Lupin, but I daresay most of you remember me from your third year Defense classes. Now, before we begin today’s lesson, there is something I must discuss with you all. As you’re all aware, a letter from the Headmaster was sent to your parents via your yearly letters. This letter stated that a werewolf would, once again, be teaching at Hogwarts this year. That is the truth; I am indeed a werewolf.”

Remus’ announcement quickly hushed the class, making it seem eerily silent as he paced in the front of the classroom. A few students were looking at him in terror, their eyes wide in fear. However, most of the students seemed unaffected by the news, which could only be considered a good thing.

“I was bitten by Fenrir Greyback, a legendarily ruthless werewolf, at the age of six. I have lived with this affliction for almost my entire life, and have come to terms with it. The prejudices against magical creatures such as I have remained as archaic as they were three hundred years ago, but that has not stopped me from being a part of the Wizarding world. I am first and foremost a Wizard; trained and educated by this very school you’re all attending yourselves. I have only a monthly illness that a dear friend of mine once referred to as my ‘furry little problem’. As hard as my life has been living with this condition, I am not ashamed of who I am, and I hope that every one of you will be open-minded enough not to shame me for who I cannot help being. Are there any questions? I’m very willing to answer all of your questions about my affliction in the hopes that it will help you all better understand Lycanthropy.”

Sylvia Stuart, a Slytherin, raised her hand timidly in the very back of the classroom. Remus nodded at her to give her permission to voice her question. “Sir…Professor…have you…h-have you ever k-killed anyone?” she asked in a quiet, shaking voice. A few students turned and glared at her, including Hermione, while a few still looked as though they shared the same curiosity.

Having prepared himself for this question earlier that morning, Remus stopped pacing and faced his students once more. “With the invention of the Wolfsbane potion ten years ago, I retain my own sane mind during my transformation. However, prior to the potions invention, I retained very little, if any, memories of my time as a wolf. While here at school, I spent the full moons locked away in a secure place where I did not have access to anyone or anything else. I am positive that I can honestly say that I have never killed anyone – in my wolf form. I have, however, killed a man out of self defense with my wand. Any other questions?” The silence was thick and nervous once more, making Remus feel as though he should have started the lesson first after all.

“Who will be covering your classes for you around and during the full moon, sir?” Lavender Brown asked from just behind Harry.

Remus smiled lightly, knowing he was about to upset his class even more than they already were. “Professor Snape will be covering Defense classes when I find I cannot make it to class myself –” As predicted, the class broke out into groans and complaints, along with a few horrified expressions. Remus lifted a hand, effectively silencing the class once more.

“Now, now, none of that please. Professor Snape is very good at Defense and is a more than capable replacement for my own teaching. Now I know there was a…discrepancy, we’ll call it, during your third year regarding changes in lesson plans and homework assignments. This year, however, Professor Snape has agreed to stick to my lesson plans and homework, so there should not be any confusion. I fully expect you all to respect Professor Snape and to do the assignments he assigns while he is covering for me, as they’re technically my own assignments. Anyone who decides they want to disrespect Professor Snape gets whatever punishment he feels you deserve; I will not revoke the punishments he gives out, so be careful what you say. Now, onto today’s lesson; Lycanthropy and Vampirism: comparing and contrasting societal values regarding these creatures, and debunking the numerous myths that have attached themselves over the years…”

Harry packed his book away as the class waited for the bell to ring signaling the end of first hour. He beamed tiredly at Remus, who winked at him from behind his desk.

“That was a really good lesson! He talked about stuff that even I didn’t know!” Hermione said excitedly as the bell rang and everyone filed out of the Defense classroom. She had that familiar gleam in her eyes that only knowledge could inspire.

Harry chuckled as they walked down the hall towards the staircases to get to Charms. “Well you knew Remus was a good teacher, Hermione. We’re going to ace our Defense N.E.W.T. with him teaching us for sure.”

“Or maybe we’ll get flees first,” a voice muttered from behind Harry and Hermione. Both Gryffindors whirled around as they recognized that voice. It was eerily something Harry would have expected from Draco Malfoy, but that was impossible at present moment.

“Ronald, how dare you! Remus has done nothing to deserve such, such bigoted and rude comments like that! What in the hell has gotten into you?” Hermione shrieked, successfully gaining the entire corridor’s attention, paintings included.

Ron’s face steadily turned red as he glared not at Hermione, but Harry. “Oh, I’m sorry; I thought it was ok to start acting like a Slytherin. After all, Harry here is well on his way to becoming one himself,” he snapped.

“You’re delusional, Ron. The only person acting like a Slytherin is you!”

“You say that like it’s a bad thing, Ms. Granger.” Unawares to the students crowding around the feuding trio, Severus had walked up on the argument, having heard Hermione’s yelling from down the hall.

“Professor, er…I…I’m sorry, I just meant to say that Ron here is acting like a child for no reason. He insulted Professor Lupin because of some stupid vendetta he has against Harry now,” Hermione tried to explain, her cheeks burning red as Snape surveyed her curiously.

“Oh, and what did Mr. Weasley say about Professor Lupin that you would deem so Slytherin?” Severus asked, not really caring, but needing the excuse for the points he was about to take.

Harry spoke for Hermione, who looked extremely unwilling to voice the insult as Remus himself walked up beside Snape. “He made a comment about getting flees in Professor Lupin’s class, sir.”

Ron had the decency to look away from Remus, who had a deeply disappointed and even slightly hurt look on his prematurely aged face. Hermione was actually shaking with rage, hot tears glistening in her honey brown eyes.

“I see. Well, Mr. Weasley, I think a detention is in order, which you will serve with me. That will also be twenty points from Gryffindor, and you will apologize to Professor Lupin – now,” Severus hissed, his dark eyes glaring angrily at the foolish Gryffindor. The group of students looking on all gasped; they’d expected Snape to agree with Ron.

Ron blushed even deeper, though the redness of his anger hid it well. He shuffled for a second before looking somewhat in Remus’ direction, his eyes focused on something over the werewolf’s left shoulder. “Sorry.”

“Detention, eight o’clock tonight, Weasley. Everyone else, get to class now unless you all wish to serve detention alongside Weasley,” Severus said to the assorted group of students watching the punishment take place.

The hall emptied quickly as all the students hastily headed for their next lesson before the tardy bell rang. Both Severus and Remus had a free period for the second lesson, thankfully. Harry and Hermione waved goodbye to Remus – and Harry to Snape as well – as they headed down to Charms.

Severus turned to Remus after the hall had emptied completely, noticing for the first time that Remus was smirking at him. “What are you smirking at?” he asked without venom.

Remus chuckled lightly as he reached out and moved a lock of Severus’ hair out of his eyes. “Just thinking about how nice it is to have a Knight in shining armor to come rescue me from the rude little Wizards,” Remus said in amusement.

Severus couldn’t help the small smile that traced his own lips, even as he rolled his eyes at the Defense Professor. “Somebody has to stand up for the poor discriminated-against werewolf,” Severus drawled, not pulling away from Remus as the man stroked his hair back and traced his jaw line with a single finger.

“My hero,” Remus whispered, his eyes sparkling in amusement. Just when he was about to lean forward to kiss the Potions Professor, Harry hurried around the corner, looking towards the ground, thankfully, giving Remus and Severus enough time to pull away from each other.

“Harry?” Severus asked, trying to keep the annoyed tone out of his voice and succeeding only partially.

Harry looked up from his searching of the corridor and saw that Snape and Remus were still standing in front of the Defense classroom. He felt distinctly like he had interrupted something and would gladly leave them to it, if only his wand wasn’t missing. “I think I dropped my wand, or else someone took it from my pocket. I can’t find it anywhere,” Harry said, trying not to panic. Losing your wand was like losing a limb; it was potentially traumatic.

Remus frowned as he pulled out his own wand, skimming the hall carefully. “You’re sure you had it in class just now?”

“Yes, I had my hand wrapped around it inside my pocket when Ron was being stupid. I have no idea how anyone could have taken it, or how I could have dropped it. Can you try and summon it for me? Maybe it just rolled away or something.”

Remus raised his wand and gave it a flick. “Accio Harry’s wand!” Nothing happened, even as the two men and one teen stood and waited for a good five seconds – if it had rolled far, it would take some time to travel back.

Harry swore vehemently, garnering two glares from the adults. “My wand! I can’t do shite without my wand, least of all get rid of Voldemort!”

Severus moved forward and pulled out his own wand, intent on calming the distraught teen. “Calm down, Potter. You need not worry about the Dark Lord bursting into the hall at this very moment, and if he does, I shall let you borrow mine. You’ve retraced your footsteps since you last saw, or felt, your wand?”

“Yes, obviously, that’s why I’m here,” Harry snapped, earning another darker, more potent glare from Snape. “Remus’ summoning spell would have found it if it was near. I think someone took it. I have no idea how, but…hold on a minute…Ron bumped into me after you dismissed everyone. Maybe he somehow slipped his hand in and pulled out my wand!” Harry exclaimed, trying to cast his mind back for any sign that Ron may have taken his wand.

“Mr. Weasley is in Charms now, correct? I’ll escort you back to class and ask to speak with him. Come,” Severus said as he nodded his head towards the staircase that led down to the Charms corridor. He turned back to glance at Remus and shrugged apologetically before turning back to Harry and led the way down to the classroom.

Harry waited outside as Snape entered the classroom and fetched Ron, who looked a mixture of scared and confused. Harry was about to ask where the hell his wand was, but Snape held up a hand to cut him off.

“Let me do the talking, Potter. Weasley, Harry here seems to have misplaced his wand, and there is some suspicion that you may have taken it. Do you have the wand?”

Ron glared defiantly at Snape before turning his hateful look towards Harry. He crossed his arms over his chest. “I didn’t take anyone’s wand,” he snapped, glaring daggers at Harry even though he was answering Snape.

“If I searched your person and belongings, I would not find Mr. Potter’s wand? Do you know where it is or who did take it? If you do and you lie to me, you’ll take most of the heat for it,” Severus warned, crossing his own arms over his chest, looking much more intimidating than Ron did.

“I don’t have his bloody wand!” Ron said heatedly, his face reddening in anger. Before Snape could react, Hermione came out of the Charms classroom, dragging Pansy Parkinson by the arm along with her.

“Let go of me, you Mudblood little whore!”

“Language, Ms. Parkinson. What’s going on?” Severus asked, finding it a little too obvious that Pansy was the one who had taken Harry’s wand.

“I found this as it rolled out of Parkinson’s bag, Professor; it’s Harry’s wand,” Hermione said, holding Harry’s wand out to no one in particular.

Before Harry could take his wand from Hermione, Snape took it from her hand and pulled out his own wand, aiming it at Harry’s. “I need to check it for tampering or curses of any kind before I can allow you to have it back or use it, Mr. Potter.”

Pansy scoffed as she tried to shake Hermione’s hand off of her wrist, glaring acidly at the trio and Snape. “Don’t bother; I’ve not even had time to do anything to it, sir. I found it outside the Defence classroom while Weasel and Potty were having their lover’s spat,” she said in a high, annoying voice.

Severus checked for curses and any kind of tampering of the wand anyways, not trusting even his own student, and even less just for that reason. When it all came back negative for tampering, Severus handed the wand over to Harry, who sighed in relief.

“You should have turned it in to Professor Lupin or myself, not taken it upon yourself to keep it. I have a feeling you knew exactly whose wand it was and, given more time, you would have done something foul to it, I’m sure. Fifty points from Slytherin and a detention with Filch tomorrow night in the Forbidden Forest, seven o’clock,” Severus said firmly, glaring right back at his defiant student.

Pansy stopped struggling against Hermione and nodded shakily, a mix between nervous and angry. She pulled her wrist away from Hermione and turned back to the Charms classroom, not looking back at the trio or her Head of House.

“You need to be more careful with your wand, Harry, and maybe not so quick to suspect your friends when things go afoul,” Severus said with a pointed look between Ron and Harry.

“He’s not my friend,” both Harry and Ron snapped at the same time, glaring at each other. Hermione bit her lip in worry and annoyance as she looked between her two best friends, feeling extremely torn over whom to side with, if anyone at all.

Severus rolled his eyes and gestured uncaringly towards the Charms classroom. “Whatever, get back to class, and please refrain from causing anymore commotion today. Do you realize how many points Gryffindor and Slytherin have both lost this morning? I’ve much too many point revocation forms to fill out as it is,” he griped. He was indeed annoyed about the forms, but the real reason for his surliness was his interrupted time with Remus, which would become less and less as the year got busier and busier.

S~S~S~S

‘Harry,

How’s school going for you? I can hardly believe you’re already a sixth year, yet whenever I speak to you it’s hard to believe you’re only sixteen; you’re much too wise for your age. The Ministry’s been really quiet lately, the Order, too. Without Snape spying for us, details have been slim to none. It feels like maybe Voldemort and his Death Eaters are biding their time. It’s a false sense of security, at least.

Anyways, how’ve you been feeling? I spoke to Remus a couple of days ago and he said there’s been no change in Malfoy’s condition. I hope you’re not still blaming yourself for that. How’s Snape been treating you? Remus also mentioned that you’re living with him down in the dungeons. Shocked me, to say the least, but he explained that it was for your protection. See, you weren’t being abandoned at all. Well, I’ve got rounds in a few minutes, so I should wrap this up. Please write back and let me know how you’re fairing. I’m here for you, Harry.

Yours,

Tonks’

“Who’s that from, Harry?” Hermione asked as she slipped into the seat beside Harry and tried to read his evening post over his shoulder.

Harry quickly folded it and shoved it in his pocket, not really wanting anyone to see it, least of all Hermione. “Just a letter from Tonks; she’s checking up on me after the whole Malfoy thing. She was there, too.”

Hermione looked like she wanted to say something, but she refrained and turned to her dinner and her newly arrived Evening Prophet. She nearly choked on her steak-and-kidney pie as she read the front page. “Sweet Merlin, where does she get this stuff?” Hermione shrieked derisively.

Harry dropped his fork and scooted over to look at Hermione’s paper. The headline made his stomach drop and his cheeks burn in anger.

‘The Chosen One chooses; love affair at Hogwarts!

In an exclusive interview with none other than Slytherin Prefect Pansy Parkinson, a scandalous love affair has started again between The Boy Who Lived and his brainy ex from way back during the Triwizard Tournament. Sources say that school whiz Hermione Granger broke things off with long time boyfriend Ronald Weasley for the more aesthetically pleasing Harry Potter, a long time friend and past fling.

“Potter and Weasley have done nothing but fight since the beginning of the school year. Granger is always all over Saint Potter. It’s really disgusting, and it actually makes me feel kind of sorry for poor Weasley. Kind of…but not really,” said Pansy Parkinson, a vivacious Slytherin sixth year with a bright future ahead of her.

It just goes to show that Harry Potter, Chosen One and destined Saviour of the Wizarding World will stop at nothing to get what he wants; even stealing his best friend’s girlfriend. Till next time, this reporter is out!’

“She’s gone too far this time. I’m writing a letter to the editor!” Hermione said heatedly. She pulled her bag up from underneath the table and took out quill and parchment, intent on writing the letter to the editor at that very moment.

“Hermione, maybe you should wait until after dinner to write that. Besides, it probably won’t make any difference anyways. How many letters have you written to the editor, and Skeeter still works there? What does it matter anyways; we know she’s just trying to get a rise out of us – well, me in particular,” Harry said in a long suffering voice, which earned him a glare from the talented witch.

“It matters to me, Harry! I don’t care if my letters are ignored; I can’t just sit and let this slide without at least trying to get myself heard. I’ve had it with her ridiculous rumour mongering already. I’m damn sick of it!” Hermione’s voice had risen to a hysterical level as she stood up from the table, clutching crumpled parchment and quill in her balled fists. She had gained the attention of the entire Gryffindor table, and almost the rest of the Great Hall, too.

Harry wasn’t quite sure what to say as Hermione angrily wiped tears out of her eyes, not dignifying the stares of her peers with recognition as she grabbed up her bag and stalked out of the Great Hall. He was just about to follow when Ron stood up from down the other end of the table and shot a glare at Harry before following Hermione out himself. Harry sighed and scrubbed his hands over his face, jumping violently when he felt a hand on his shoulder.

“May I have a word with you, Harry?” Severus asked in a level tone as he tried to resist rolling his eyes at Harry’s skittish reaction to his touch. He’d been watching the boy from the staff table during almost the entire meal, noticing first Harry’s somewhat suspicious letter, and then Granger’s angry outburst. Having forgone the Evening Prophet himself, he hadn’t a clue what had upset the witch.

“Yeah, sure,” Harry said as he pushed his plate away and stood up, fetching his bag from under the table. He followed the Potions Master out of the Great Hall, trying to ignore the pointed glares and blatant pointing of his fellow students. They made it all the way down to the dungeons and into their quarters before Snape decided to turn and speak to him.

“Care to explain what that was all about?” Severus asked as he crossed his arms over his black-clad chest. He was more curious about the letter than the offending Prophet article, but it would have been too obvious to start with that.

Harry was slightly bemused why Snape would care about Hermione’s outburst, but he decided to humour the man anyways. “Rita Skeeter wrote another stupid article about me, but this time she drug Hermione into again just like in fourth year. We’re all well shot of the annoying woman, but she hit too sensitive a nerve in Hermione, I guess.”

“Hmm,” was all Severus offered in regard to that bit of drama. Maybe the article was worth a read after all if it included Harry as well. “And your other piece of evening post, who was that missive from?” he asked solicitously.

Harry glared up at the Potions Master from his considerably shorter height. “I don’t really see how that’s any of your business, sir,” he said defiantly. He wasn’t exactly sure why he was so determined to keep his letter from Tonks private from everyone, but he thought it might have something to do with the warm, squirming sensation he felt every time he thought about the Auror.

“It is my business, Potter. I’m supposed to help keep an eye on you and protect you, and I cannot do that properly if you keep suspicious letters hidden away from your friends and Professors.” Severus had noticed how Harry had quickly stashed the letter away when Granger seemed to gain interest in it, which only served to make the letter even more suspicious, at least to him.

Harry couldn’t decide if he wanted to glare more or roll his eyes, so he did both. He knew if he continued to be difficult, Snape would take the letter by force anyways, so he gave in, hoping that explaining who it was from at least would be sufficient enough. “It’s just a letter from Tonks, alright? If Voldemort or any Death Eaters were sending me letters, I’d be sure to let you know.”

“Do not mock me, Potter. There are many, many ways to stage a letter under somebody else’s name. Are you quite sure it is indeed from Ms. Tonks? Do you have a secret code, or perhaps it is charmed in a way so that you know it is in fact from her? Did you check for any curses before opening the letter?” Severus asked in a low hiss as he sneered at the insolent Gryffindor. The foolish boy would be susceptible to carefully placed curses in a letter if he simply thought it was from a trustworthy source.

“Well no, but I’m not paranoid; I don’t feel it necessary to check all my post for curses,” Harry said indignantly. Snape was overreacting by far, in his opinion.

Severus’ last bit of patience was wearing thin very quickly. “It is not paranoia, it is common sense! You do realise there are an impossible amount of people who wish to see you dead, do you not?” Severus took Harry’s incredulous glare as an answer before going on. “It is ridiculously easy to slip a very dangerous, if not deadly curse into a simple letter. After so many near death experiences, I thought you’d be intelligent enough to take your own safety seriously!”

Harry blushed in shame and anger, trying to reel in his anger as it threatened to lash out at Snape. “I’ve never been told to be cautious of my own post, Professor. Isn’t all of the post monitored before it’s delivered to the students anyways?” Harry asked, remembering the way Umbridge had all of their post inspected as High Inquisitor.

“There are simple precautionary spells that help detect malicious post, but there are ways around them, Potter. There are always ways, and you would be wise to remember that. Seeing as how you failed to do it when you first received it, I’d like you to run some curse detecting spells on the letter now, just to make sure,” Severus instructed the Gryffindor, gaining another luke warm glare as the boy reluctantly pulled the letter out.

“I don’t know any spells to check for curses, sir,” Harry admitted sheepishly, feeling that he should know at least one. He could chalk it up to pour instruction in Defence, but that would fall through quickly as he was almost positive Hermione could probably list at least five just off the top of her head.

“Merlin, Potter, you are a sixth year! You have not learned a single curse detecting spell in six years of magical education? I’ll be sure to tell Remus to cover it in classes. Give me the letter, I’ll do it myself,” Severus snapped as he held out a hand for the folded parchment. Harry just glared more intently. “I’m not going to read it, idiot child! I’m just going to check for curses or other tampering. I’ve no interest at all in what Nymphadora Tonks has to say to you, I assure you,” he said as he took the note out of the teen’s grudging hand.

Specialis Revealio!” The parchment glowed green for a second before going back to normal. Severus wasn’t satisfied by the simplest of the spells, so he ran another. “Malice Revealio!” Another glow of green illuminated the parchment. Finally giving in that the letter was harmless, Severus handed it back to the Gryffindor, who snatched it rather firmly away.

“Do not be such an infernal brat, Potter! I am only trying to insure your safety by being extra cautious. I expect you to start doing so for yourself from now on, meaning you need to practice curse revealing spells on your own as well as in class. Do I make myself clear?”

Harry rolled his eyes as he stored his letter back in his pocket. “Yes, sir,” he grounded out through gritted teeth.

Severus rubbed tiredly at his eyes as he shooed Harry away with a wave of his hand. “Go start on your homework or something, Harry,” he said in an exhausted voice as he scrubbed at his face in frustration. What had he gotten himself into, taking on a teenager – especially when said teenager was Harry Potter? He had a feeling he’d be asking himself that very question uncountable times before the school year was over – before the week was over.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1860