Never Alone by Julz
Summary: Severus Snape is a complicated man, but when it comes to protecting Harry Potter's life, there is nothing more simple than succeeding. When Severus finds himself caring for the boy after an attack, how will their relationship change? Snape-Harry mentor fic.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Arthur, Bellatrix, Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Fred George, Ginny, Hagrid, Hermione, Lucius, McGonagall, Molly, Neville, Original Character, Petunia, Remus, Ron, Shacklebolt, Sinistra, Tonks, Vernon, Voldemort, Wormtail
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Out of Character Snape, Overly-protective Snape
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Animagus!Snape, Kidnapped, Pregnancy, Sibling Addition, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 6th summer, 6th Year, 7th summer
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Character Death, Neglect, Out of Character, Profanity, Rape, Romance/Het, Romance/Slash, Self-harm, Suicide Themes, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 62 Completed: Yes Word count: 397611 Read: 400040 Published: 24 Jun 2009 Updated: 10 Feb 2016
Chapter 27 cont. In the Garden Matris: Part 2 by Julz
Author's Notes:
Because of the limits of this website, I had to break this chapter up into two parts. Chapter 27 and 28 are to be considered ONE combined chapter. Enjoy part 2, and please review!

New Years was approaching fast, and Harry was actually excited for the new year to begin. He had a family, a boyfriend, and good friends; what more could he ask for? Well, other than that a psychopathic Wizard with a vendetta against him would just snuff it already. He just hoped that things between him and Ron would be alright after the break ended in just a week.

Now that the adoption was official, it had come time for the wards to be put in place. Early in the morning, much earlier than Harry appreciated, Severus woke him up and led him very sleepily to the Headmaster’s office. Severus knocked gently with the Phoenix-shaped door knocker, waiting for the gentle reply from the other side.

“Ah, Severus, Harry! Good morning, my boys. Thanks so much for that exciting variety of socks, Harry, they were most tasteful. I enjoy opening my sock drawer every morning! And that Persian mead is delightful, Severus; it goes very well with the biscuits Remus gifted to me,” Dumbledore rambled on cheerfully as he pulled an ancient looking tome from a locked cabinet behind his desk. He set it down heavily on the desk, shaking his blackened hand distractedly as he retook his seat behind his ornate desk.

“You’re welcome, Professor. Hermione, Draco and I had quite a lot of fun picking them out for you,” Harry said with a soft chuckle. They had spent nearly three hours picking out the most intriguing magical socks of all varieties. Some of them would scream horribly loud when they needed a wash, and there was a pair that would change colours with your mood. Harry’s favourite pair by far were the ones that warmed your feet when they sensed you were a little chilly. He had bought a pair for himself as well.

Severus rolled his eyes good naturedly and offered the Headmaster a slight smile, trying not to let his eyes linger on the cursed appendage lying dead and useless on the desk beside the overlarge tome. “It is one of my favourites as well, though it would be a good idea if Rosemerta were not informed of such; she’d feel so betrayed.” He allowed the Headmaster a soft chuckle before growing more serious, glancing briefly at the Wizard’s dead hand. “And how is your hand doing, Albus? Any trouble with it?”

Dumbledore was perusing a rather worn page in the tome, clearly written in another language, Gaelic perhaps, quite intensely before glancing over at his shrivelled hand. “It is in the same condition it was just after the curse took effect. I cannot use it, and I hardly have any range of motion in my wrist. The pain potion you’ve been supplying me works wonders, I assure you.” It was clearly the end of that conversation as Dumbledore made a noise of discovery and pulled out his wand, smiling up at the Potions Master and young Gryffindor.

“Now, this warding spell must be performed by three people; the guardian, the ward, and a witness. We obviously all know our roles, so let us begin learning the spells. Each of us has a different part in the spell, so let’s begin with Harry’s part.”

Dumbledore spent fifteen minutes teaching Harry how to pronounce the words perfectly, correcting him at least fifty times before he got it right. It took about ten minutes to teach Severus his part, and then he repeated his own part a few times just to make sure he had it right.

“Alright, is everyone ready? The way the spells are performed is very similar to that of an Unbreakable Vow, which Severus at least is very familiar with,” Dumbledore chuckled, ignoring the half-hearted glare that the Potions Master fixed him with.

“Sir, these wards are different than the bonding spell, right? We’ll have to do that separately as well?” Harry asked, trying to repeat the strange words of the spell in his head over again just to make sure he didn’t forget it.

Dumbledore nodded succinctly, rolling up the sleeve of his wand arm, preparing to perform the warding spell. “Yes, the bonding spell that must take place is separate from this one. We will work on that after we have the wards established; they are of utmost importance.”

Harry took a deep breath, glancing over at Severus and receiving a questioning look from him. “I was wondering, sir, if there was a way to include Remus in the bonding spells. If Severus has to welcome me into his family as his son, then Remus should be included in that as well.”

Dumbledore smiled warmly at Harry, the twinkle in his eyes a little over-bright, causing Harry to blush. “That would indeed be possible, Harry, but only if Severus and Remus were to be joined in a bond themselves first. As there isn’t a binding connection between the two, Remus is not technically considered to be a part of Severus’ family, all sentimental feelings aside. However, I believe that is something that Severus and Remus need to discuss and decide upon, as it is not a thing to be taken lightly. We can put off the bonding for a bit so that things can be discussed, if that is what you wish?” The Headmaster had directed this last to Severus, who looked slightly put upon, but nodded firmly without hesitation.

“Jolly good! Now, let’s get these wards in place, shall we?”

S~S~S~S

Remus absolutely abhorred marking midterm essays. Well, any essays, actually. He loved teaching, oh yes, and even giving lectures tickled his fancy, but marking essays was on his top-ten list of hated things. It wasn’t that he minded the work, it was the reactions he received from the students who did not score very high. One bad grade on an essay could ruin a student’s career plans, cast a shadow over their holidays, or simply send them into a panicked anxiety. On the other hand, the students who did well always seemed very cheered when they received their essays back with glistening red ‘O’s adorning the top of the parchment.

Remus sighed heavily as he crossed off yet another piece of bad information on a seventh year’s midterm. Really, the of-age students should know better! His musing was interrupted quite welcomed when Severus returned from his meeting with the Headmaster, although Harry was no longer with him.

“We apparently need to have a very important discussion, Remus.”

Bugger. And he’d thought he’d gotten out of hard work for the time being. “Oh, what about?” the werewolf asked with honest curiosity as Severus sat down on the sofa beside him and conjured a tea service.

Sipping at his tea for a few seconds gave Severus just enough time to rearrange how he should voice the subject. It had been skirted, brushed aside, and generally ignored in a strange silent consensus, but it was time to break the seal on the subject.

“Harry brought up a very good point during our meeting with the Headmaster. As you know, a bonding must be performed between Harry and me in order for the wards to take full effect. The point of the bonding will be for me to invite Harry in as a true and wanted part of my family. My parents are deceased, I am an only child, and any extended family is either very much out of contact or deceased as well. I have no blood family to speak of, Remus. Now as my partner, I do consider you to be family, and so does Harry, but because there is no current binding between us, the bonding spells I must perform with Harry will not recognize you as such.”

There was a long silence as they both sipped tea, drinking in the herbal warmth as well as the heavy tension of the conversation they were embarking on. Remus knew what was coming, yet he still couldn’t help wonder what Severus was getting at, exactly.

“I thought Professor Dumbledore had assured Harry that whoever adopted him need not have any family in order for the bonding to work?” Remus asked, already knowing that that was not what this conversation was about. He wanted to hear the words, to know exactly what Severus wanted of him.

“That is still correct. However, Harry and I would like that to be changed. We want to include you in the bonding, Remus. If you cannot contest for second parent adoption, this is the next best thing. The only thing that is stopping us from doing that, is the lack of binding between us. We would have to perform a bonding of our own before the spell I use with Harry will recognize you as part of my family,” Severus explained calmly, hoping Remus had picked up on the obvious, blinking, bright red insinuations that he had thrown in there.

Remus gulped, taking a deep drink from his tea before looking back up at his lover, meeting his dark eyes directly. “So...you are saying that we should perform a bonding ceremony?”

Severus knew Remus was playing stupid on purpose now. The man was highly intelligent; there was no way he could not be faking this ignorance. He kept his cool, however, and indulged Remus’ dumb-act. “Yes, I think we should perform a bonding ceremony. There are many different types, and many different ways, but I think that the best option would be The Joining of the Souls.”

Remus closed his eyes for half a second before opening them once more to meet the Potions Master’s intense gaze. “Severus, the bond between Sirius and I still exists within my soul, even if Sirius’ soul has passed on. I would...I would have to severe the bond before being Joined with you.”

“I am aware of that, Remus.”

The silence was most definitely uncomfortable now. Remus had drained his teacup, but he didn’t want to refill it and give himself more time to stall. He knew that this was a crucial step in their relationship, and lingering too long or saying the wrong thing could very well ruin everything. He thought of Sirius, and that wonderful day of the Joining. Oddly, he could also remember precisely the way it felt when Severus, who had been an important part of the bonding, had tipped his head back to offer the special potion used in the ceremony; the way his hand felt slightly tangled in his hair, and the gentle way he placed the chalice against his lip to keep from spilling. Remus fingered the ring on his left hand, glancing over to see that Severus was mirroring his actions. Could he really severe the very last tie he had to his deceased lover? Could he put Sirius behind him so completely?

Squeezing his eyes closed and praying for strength, Remus reached out blindly and caught Severus’ left hand with his own, opening them only when he felt the Potions Professor gently squeeze his fingers. “Alright, I can do it. Sirius is gone, and I have you and Harry now; there’s no sense in holding on to that last piece of what once was. I love you, Severus, and I want to give you all me.”

Severus let out a long breath he had not been aware he was holding, pulling his lover into a tight embrace. He kissed the werewolf’s neck gently, sighing contently as Remus melted against him. “Thank you, Remus. I love you too.”

Remus pulled away from the embrace and took his wand out, taking a deep breath to steady himself. He closed his eyes and gave his wand a very distinct flick, directing the tip of the wand at himself. “Discerpo vinculum intus mea anima.”

A soft blue glow illuminated Remus’ chest as the spell took effect. He flicked his wand once more, and the blue glow left his wand to linger in the air. With a determined look and a confident tone in his voice, he waved his wand at the glow. “Finite incantatem!

Severus pulled the werewolf close, placing a gentle kiss on his temple as the man melted into his arms. It meant everything to him that Remus was willing to break his last remaining tie to his late lover, even though it obviously hurt him to do so. “Thank you for letting go...” Severus whispered against Remus’ ear.

“Thank you for giving me the strength to,” Remus whispered back, leaning his head comfortably on the Potions Master’s shoulder. He felt relieved as well as saddened, and hoped desperately that he had made the right decision. He knew he had when Severus kissed him more passionately then he’d ever been kissed before.

S~S~S~S

Since the warding spells that had been performed between Severus and Harry would not go into full effect until the bonding occurred, the Joining of the Souls ceremony had to be performed quite quickly and on the fly. Since Severus was a very private man as it was, and privacy and secrecy were essential to survival, the ceremony was not made into a huge affair as it had been when Remus had performed the same with Sirius. It would be a quiet, private ceremony with very few people there to witness it.

All in all, however, Harry was extremely excited. The two different bonds would ensure, at least on a purely magical level, that both Severus and Remus were considered his parents. He wasn’t sure exactly why it was so important that it be official on some level that Remus be included in that, but strictly symbolic didn’t feel like enough. Remus deserved to be recognized as his father too, Ministry regulations be damned.

Dumbledore had ensured that the Great Hall be clear of any lingering students as the few people who had been informed of the ceremony gathered. Harry, Hermione, and Draco were allowed to attend, of course, and a few members of the Order had even come, much to Severus’ chagrin. Most of the guests were quite curious and shocked to hear about the relationship between Severus and Remus, but everybody managed to mask it fairly well. The staff were all there, naturally, but most of them had been aware of the relationship for awhile, so none of them were really that surprised. Dumbledore performed the ceremony expertly and efficiently, and only a few murmurs of surprise were heard as Severus kneeled to Remus, and not the other way around.

A small sort of reception was held afterwards, though Remus and Severus both insisted it was just a friendly get together to celebrate. Dumbledore just chuckled and humoured them by treating it as informal as possible, allowing guests to come and go as they pleased, lingering by the snacks and striking up conversations.

Harry, Draco, and Hermione were having a blast, dancing to the music blaring from the Wizarding Wireless, drinking butterbeer, and snacking on the trays of food the house elves had provided. There were very few people joining in on the dancing, but when Tonks dragged Professor Flitwick out to the dance floor and Metamorphosed herself to his height, the entire room was in stitches as they danced an elegant waltz.

Most of the guests had taken their leave as the sky outside darkened. Harry was chatting with Tonks and Fred and George when Dumbledore came up and pulled him aside, Severus and Remus following along. They entered the small chamber off to the side of the Great Hall, closing the door behind them.

“These wards are very important, and so a very limited amount of people are aware of them. Therefore, it would be better if we performed the bonding between Harry and Severus now, in private, rather than make it a public affair. Are we all agreeable to this?” The Headmaster asked with a warm smile, his sleeves rolled up as he twirled his wand happily in his one healthy hand.

Harry looked over to Severus, who caught his eye and nodded, Remus shrugging from beside his lover. If it was ok with the two Professors, it was fine with Harry. He smiled at his parents and turned back to Dumbledore. “That sounds fine to us, Professor.”

“Good, good! Now, if Harry and Severus will please kneel before each other. The spell is quick and simple, so we shan’t keep your few guests waiting.”

The Head of Slytherin and the young Gryffindor knelt together, facing each other. Harry offered his adoptive father a small smile and received a hesitant grin in return. This was it, the final step that would ensure Harry’s safety, and forever bind him to his adoptive father. He was ecstatic, but he was also slightly humbled. Harry remembered his birth parents, the people who had died to give him life, and felt an upsurge of gratefulness. His mother’s sacrifice couldn’t protect him any longer, but it had kept him alive until that time when he found an alternative in Severus, who had already vowed to protect him before they’d even met.

Harry’s smile widened as Dumbledore instructed them to take each other’s left hands, feeling Severus’ larger hand squeeze his reassuringly as Dumbledore moved his wand in a wide arch over them, reciting a long phrase of Latin. Harry felt a tingle start from the fingertips of the hand holding the Potions Master’s, which travelled up his arms and spread throughout his chest. When he looked up into Severus’ eyes, he knew the older man had felt the same strange sensation. When the spell was over, Severus stood first, helping Harry up by the hand.

“Well, it has been quite the emotional couple of weeks now, hasn’t it?” Severus sighed as Remus came up beside him, placing a hand gently on his arm. He seemed exhausted, but actually happy. The faint lines that usually marred his features due to stress, anger, or just general unpleasantness seemed to have faded away, replaced with a relaxed expression that made Harry feel at ease.

“Yeah, if I never cry again it will be too soon,” Harry said with a dramatic sigh, earning himself a soft chuckle from Severus and a smile from Remus. As they joined the few others still lingering in the Great Hall, Tonks bounded up to offer her congratulations.

“I hope you guys have a long and happy life together. Harry couldn’t ask for better parents,” Tonks said with a cheeky grin, winking pointedly at the Potions Master, who rolled his eyes at the Auror. She turned to Harry, who was hiding his laughter behind his hand.

“I’ve got to get going, though. I’ve been given night patrol in London tonight since I got out of my afternoon shift to come here. See you soon, Harry, and happy new year!” She gave him a quick hug and a kiss on the cheek, earning herself a very heated glare from Draco, who had just walked up with Hermione.

“What the hell was that all about?” Draco asked in a huff, making Hermione giggle from beside him. He glared at her, too.

Harry shrugged with an innocent look, brushing off Draco’s affronted expression. “Nothing, Tonks was just saying goodbye before she headed to work.”

“You know what I mean, Harry,” Draco hissed with narrowed eyes. Severus and Remus had moved on to talk to Kingsley, while Hermione tactfully walked away and pulled Fred and George into a conversation about their improved Day Dream potion formula.

Harry frowned, pulling Draco off to the side so as not to be overheard by anyone. “Honestly, Draco, she was just saying bye. She didn’t mean anything by the kiss on the cheek. She’s my friend, and much older than us, I should like to point out.”

Draco looked sceptical for a few more seconds before sighing, his shoulders dropping as he took in Harry’s honest expression. Maybe he had overreacted, just a little bit. “I’m sorry; I guess I just got really jealous when I saw her touching you. I don’t like other people touching you that way.”

Harry smirked, pulling Draco close, despite all of the other people in the Great Hall. “Clearly, love. You don’t need to worry about that at all. I want you, and only you,” he whispered against his boyfriend’s ear, feeling an excited thrill shoot through him as the Slytherin shivered against him.

With a smirk he hoped only Harry would be able to see, Draco leaned in and gave him a long, lingering kiss, gaining a few whispers from the remaining guests. Neither of the teens cared, however, and continued to get lost in each other’s arms.

S~S~S~S

The Daily Prophet the next morning had a huge headline that made Harry cringe and hide his face as he noticed the accompanying pictures. He passed the paper to Severus, who nearly spit out his tea as he saw the front page.

“Bloody hell!”

Remus looked up from his breakfast at Severus’ expletive, shocked by the man’s uncharacteristic cursing. He leaned over to look at the front page, and shouted his own colourful expletive.

The-Boy-Who-Lived-to-Be-Gay

This reporter has gained exclusive knowledge that one Harry James Potter, formerly of Little Whinging, Surrey, is involved in an intimate, same-sex relationship with than none other than Draco Malfoy, escaped convict and confirmed Death Eater Lucius Malfoy’s son. These two images were obtained at a secret bonding ceremony between two of Hogwarts Professors, who will remain anonymous. According to an inside source, Potter and Malfoy have been an item for quite a few months, but had yet to display any sort of affection in public, until now.

One must wonder just exactly what Harry Potter is thinking, getting involved with a Death Eater’s son. Has the supposed Chosen One lost sense, or has he been compromised by the other side? Readers and this reporter alike would very much like to know; who’s confunded Harry Potter? Rita Skeeter, out.

The two pictures framing the article were of Draco and Harry in various states of snogging, pressed very close together from toe, to hip, to lips. It was a very embarrassing picture to have your parents see, let alone the entire Wizarding World. Harry gulped as Draco came running into the Great Hall, his face quite horrified.

“How the hell did Skeeter get in the castle?” the Slytherin demanded loudly. He was obviously just as upset about the article as Harry was. Harry was just about to answer when Remus gasped and spread the paper out on the table so everyone could see the smaller article below the slandering starring Draco and Harry.

“Look!”

Auror Goes Missing After Night Shift Patrol

During a night time patrol of London’s clubbing streets, second year Auror Nymphadora Tonks suddenly fell off the map, befuddling the Auror Department, who monitor their personnel quite closely during night shifts. Twenty-four year old Tonks, an ambitious young woman who joined the Auror Corps four years previous, was last seen outside a Wizarding pub, checking the wards on the building to ensure the safety of the patrons. A struggle occurred, and Ms. Tonks was taken by her attacker or attackers. There has been no more information on who the suspect(s) who abducted the Auror might be, but anyone with information is encouraged to contact the Head of Magical Law Enforcement.

In a surprising and somewhat shocking decision, Minister of Magic Cornelius Fudge has declined to comment on the case of the missing Auror, and has made no attempt to set up a search for the young woman. Head Auror and prospective Minister of Magic candidate Kingsley Shacklebolt has threatened to resign from his position if Minister Fudge does not make an effort to find Ms. Tonks. Many other members of the Auror Corps, trainees and seasoned members alike, have also threatened to resign from their positions.

After the news was given to Ms. Tonks’ parents, Andromeda Tonks (née Black) and Ted Tonks, this reporter managed to get a quick statement from the worried parents.

Said concerned father Ted Tonks; “Our daughter is missing, possibly abducted by one of the escaped Death Eaters who have yet to be apprehended again. Cornelius Fudge’s lack of proper action is disgusting and cowardly. The man deserves to be run out of office, and by all means, we hope he will be. We hope and pray for our daughter to be returned safe and sound, and encourage her abductors to leave her unharmed. We love you, Dora. Stay strong.”

An information Floo network has been put together by concerned Ministry personnel and Wizarding community citizens. Please do not hesitate to contact the information network or Department of Magical Law Enforcement if you know anything about Nymphadora Tonks’ whereabouts.

Harry was shaking by the time he finished reading the article. Tonks, who he had just seen last night right before her shift, was missing, possibly abducted by the likes of Bellatrix Lestrange or Lucius Malfoy. He turned to Severus and Remus, who were sharing concerned and apprehensive expressions.

“You didn’t know anything about this at all, right?” he asked, feeling a strong sense of foreboding as he realized that Dumbledore was missing from the breakfast table.

“Of course not, Harry. We would have told you straight away had we known, I promise,” Severus assured his son, who looked about ready to burst into a fit of rage. He’d need to head the boy off before he gained a head of steam to attack with.

Harry sighed in relief, taking his father’s word as fact purely out of trust in the man. He felt his stomach roil and was nearly sick as he imagined what could be happening to Tonks that very minute. He stood from his seat, gaining worried looks from Draco, Hermione, Remus and Severus.

“I don’t feel so good,” he muttered, quickly extracting himself from the table and making his way out of the Great Hall. He hurried quickly to the front doors, hearing foot steps behind him as he burst through the doors, ran down the steps and across the grounds. Harry only stopped when he reached the beech tree beside the lake, gasping for breath and clutching a stitch in his side.

Someone walked up behind him, putting a hand on his shoulder. He didn’t bother to turn around; he knew it was Severus. “Harry, are you alright?” the Potions Master asked quietly.

Harry let out a strangled breath as he shook his head jerkily, signalling that he was definitely not alright. He couldn’t explain how grateful he was when Severus pulled him into his arms, holding him close to his warm, solid chest. Harry clutched at his father’s robes, struggling to keep his emotions intact.

“It’s not fair. Tonks didn’t do anything to anyone! Why her, of all people?” Harry croaked, his face still buried against his father’s chest, slightly muffled by the many layers of robes.

Severus sighed as he rubbed Harry’s back gently, hoping he could find the right words for the boy. “She didn’t necessarily have to do anything to anyone, Harry. Just being on the side of the Light made her a target. I’m sure the Order are searching for her. I’ll make sure of it, Harry.”

Harry choked back a sob as he held tighter to Severus’ robes. He couldn’t afford to let himself get so emotional; he needed to stay strong so he could help with the search for Tonks. “This is all my fault. They wouldn’t have taken her if she wasn’t associated with me. I want to help look for her, Dad.”

Severus felt his stomach do a flip at the sound of Harry referring to him so comfortably as his father, but he didn’t let it affect him so much that he lost his sense. “It isn’t your fault at all, Harry. Do not blame yourself for something you had absolutely no control over. You don’t know where she is, or who may have taken her or why. I’m sorry, Harry, but it won’t be possible for you to help with the search. There are others out looking for her; you need to stay safe here at the castle.”

Harry felt like screaming and yelling that it wasn’t fair, that he wanted to help search for Tonks because Severus was wrong and this was all his fault, but he knew better. He knew Severus was at least right that he couldn’t leave the castle; he’d only put more people in danger by doing so. Staying curled close to Severus, Harry sighed dejectedly, wishing he could do something, anything to help. “I hate this...”

“I know, Harry. I’m sorry,” Severus whispered, smoothing down the Gryffindor’s unruly hair as he tried to offer whatever comfort he could. That Harry would immediately blame himself for the Auror’s disappearance saddened Severus greatly, making him wish he could take such a heavy burden off his son’s shoulders. He still wasn’t used to the fact that his son was Harry Potter. Severus held the boy closer still, hating the way he shuddered against him, and how he couldn’t do anything to help it.

 

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1860