Never Alone by Julz
Summary: Severus Snape is a complicated man, but when it comes to protecting Harry Potter's life, there is nothing more simple than succeeding. When Severus finds himself caring for the boy after an attack, how will their relationship change? Snape-Harry mentor fic.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Arthur, Bellatrix, Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Fred George, Ginny, Hagrid, Hermione, Lucius, McGonagall, Molly, Neville, Original Character, Petunia, Remus, Ron, Shacklebolt, Sinistra, Tonks, Vernon, Voldemort, Wormtail
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Out of Character Snape, Overly-protective Snape
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Animagus!Snape, Kidnapped, Pregnancy, Sibling Addition, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 6th summer, 6th Year, 7th summer
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Character Death, Neglect, Out of Character, Profanity, Rape, Romance/Het, Romance/Slash, Self-harm, Suicide Themes, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 62 Completed: Yes Word count: 397611 Read: 400956 Published: 24 Jun 2009 Updated: 10 Feb 2016
Crowded Isolation by Julz
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the horrifically long wait! College and life has been pretty crazy lately, and I just haven’t had very much time to write, but I’m getting back to it now! I have a few other projects in the works as well that I’ve been adding to periodically, so look out for some new stuff soon, possibly! I hope you enjoy this one!

Harry’s back was aching, and it took him a good few minutes to wake up and realize why. He had fallen asleep in the chair beside Draco’s hospital bed, his head lying on the mattress and his hand clutching the blonde’s. The early morning sunlight was streaming in through the high windows of the infirmary, glaring off of Harry’s glasses and making him blink rapidly to keep his eyes from watering. A soft moan drew his attention to the Slytherin lying beside him.

“Draco, are you awake?”

Soft grey eyes blinked open, then quickly slammed closed against the sharp assault of the morning sun. He slowly pried his eyes open again, turning to look at Harry, who was smiling warmly at him.

“Potter?”

Harry felt his heart sink at the tone of Draco’s voice. He sounded really confused, and the way he said Potter didn’t exactly sound kind, not to mention Draco hadn’t called him ‘Potter’ in some months.

“I think maybe I should get Madam Pomfrey before trying to explain anything. Just hold on, I’ll be right back,” Harry assured the blonde as he quickly got out of his seat and ran towards the Matron’s office. He had no idea if she was in there as it was so early, but if not, he could floo to the dungeons and get his father instead. He was saved the trouble when his father walked out of the office, having obviously flooed there from their quarters.

“Harry? I didn’t think you’d be awake just yet.”

“Dad, Draco is awake, but I think something is wrong,” Harry said with a worried expression, quickly mirrored by his father as the Potions Master walked quickly over to his godson’s bed.

“Draco?”

The Slytherin turned to look at Snape and sighed in relief, pushing himself into a more dignified sitting position as he rearranged the sheets around him. “Severus, what’s going on? Why am I in the hospital wing?”

The Potions Master went slightly more pale than normal as he shared a look with Harry. He pulled the chair around and sat down beside his godson, taking hold of Harry’s wrist as a warning not to panic.

“Draco, what’s the last thing you can remember?”

Well, that was actually a pretty hard question to answer, Draco mused. He seemed to have lots of conflicting memories floating about in his head, and some that seemed pretty ludicrous. Since when did his mind supply memories of him kissing Potter? That was the last thing he could remember.

“Er...I...we...” Draco looked over at Harry with a questioning expression, and was surprised to be met with a horribly sad expression.

“You don’t remember anything from the past few months, do you?” Harry croaked, feeling his heart drop down to his toes. It was like losing Draco all over again, and he wasn’t sure if he could handle that again.

Draco screwed his face up in concentration and closed his eyes, trying to make sense of all the jumbled memories that were thoroughly confusing him. He could remember being in the hospital wing, Potter beside him, teaching him how to summon things with his wand. Then there was Weasley, Weasley’s sister and Granger, crying all over each other and pulling Potter into a group hug. Severus leading him to a very spacious room just down the corridor from the Potions Master’s quarters. Harry sitting beside him on a bed...

“Yes, I do love you, and I’m sorry for avoiding you for the last couple of days.”

Harry’s voice whispering to him...

“I’m sorry, Draco…I should never have done what I did. I should have listened to you. I feel like such an idiot. But…I have a question for you. Why on earth did you pull me out of the way, sacrifice yourself, for me? I just don’t understand…You’ve always hated me, and even though we’d gotten on a bit better this summer, I never thought you would ever risk your own life for me. What were you thinking? I just want to understand, and I wish you could hear me, know how sorry I am that it’s you in that bed and not me…”

Draco’s eyes snapped open as he gasped, his eyes locking with pleading green ones. Those memories were real, and he was starting to remember more and more. Everything that had happened in the last few months came flooding to the surface, warring with his older memories of before that summer. He felt so conflicted, and he wished his memories would just shut up and let him think for a second.

“Occlude your mind, Draco; you know how,” Severus whispered to the Slytherin, who looked to be on the verge of a panic attack.

Draco nodded as he closed his eyes again, concentrating on clearing his mind. After a few minutes, the thoughts flying around in his head began to slow down and file themselves away, making it much easier to think.

“Draco? Are you ok?” Harry whispered, wanting more than anything to reach out and take Draco’s hand in his own.

“I remember,” Draco said as he opened his eyes and looked at Harry again, torn between wanting to kiss him and wanting to punch him. “I remember everything.”

“Everything? Even from before the accident?” Severus asked, preparing to call for Healer Smithson. If Draco had indeed regained his memory, she would no longer be needed other than to do annual check-ups.

Draco nodded as he let out a heavy sigh. “Yes, even from before the accident and during the time I was in the coma. I could hear everything. It’s all a bit confusing,” Draco said, giving Harry a calculating look.

He could remember it all, going from a tentative friendship with the Gryffindor, to developing a sort of tenderness for him as he listened to Harry vent his frustrations and feelings to him while he slept on in a coma. After that, his memories took on a strange form; it was almost as if they were someone else’s memories that he simply watched from afar. He wished he could remember everything properly as he’d lived it.

“I think, perhaps, that it is time to call Healer Smithson in,” Severus suggested as he turned back towards Madam Pomfrey’s office to use the floo.

“Are you really ok, Draco?” Harry asked quietly, his voice shaking. He was afraid to upset the blonde, but he was eager to know where they stood now. He had just gotten Draco back, he couldn’t lose him again.

“I’m...fine, I guess. I’m just really confused. I do remember everything, but the memories are sort of clashing. It’s hard to remember hating you in the past, and loving you now. I need to time to...adjust, I guess. I’m sorry, Harry, I know that’s the last thing you want to here after all the things we’ve been going through, but I really need to sort things out for myself. I’m not breaking up with you; I just need some space for right now, alright?” Draco asked, feeling his chest constrict as the Gryffindor tried to blink his tears away, but was unsuccessful.

“I understand. I’ll just...leave you alone for awhile. You know where to find me when you’re ready,” Harry said quietly, wanting so bad to kiss the Slytherin, but stopping himself reluctantly. He needed to leave. He couldn’t stand there beside Draco for one more minute without snapping. It seemed that life was determined to take everything away from him. As soon as Severus came out of the office with Healer Smithson behind him, Harry turned to leave.

“Harry, where are you going?” Severus asked as the Healer started casting different diagnostic spells over the young blonde, writing on a chart as the different glows changed and morphed.

“I have to go, Dad. I can’t...” Harry wasn’t sure what he couldn’t do, and he didn’t want to hurt Draco by saying he couldn’t stand to be near the blonde for another second, so he just left it hanging there. He was beyond relieved when his father gave him a knowing look and nodded, giving him permission to flee.

S~S~S~S

No matter how many times he read the assigned chapter for potions, Harry could not take anything in. There was simply too much going on in his mind to concentrate on the theory of acidic potions versus base potions and their relationship to the lunar phases. All it did was make Harry think of Remus, who he realized he missed quite terribly. He knew his father was a very busy man, and their recent falling out had taken time away from them, but he wished he had someone to talk to about everything. He wanted so much to talk to Remus that he could swear he could hear the man’s voice.

“...Harry, are you there?”

Harry snapped out of it as he realized the voice wasn’t in his head, but coming from the man himself, who was standing in front of the sofa carrying a battered cloak and trunk.

“Remus!” Harry shouted as he threw his potions book and jumped off the sofa. He almost knocked Remus over with the force of his hug, grasping the man’s robes as if his life depended on it.

“Hey there, pup,” Remus said affectionately as he wrapped his arms around the Gryffindor, who was shaking. As he pulled away from the teen he noticed that the boy was actually crying. “Now, there’s no need for tears, Harry.”

“I’m sorry, it’s just been a really bad day. It’s been a really bad few weeks, actually. I missed you, and I really wanted to talk to you, and I’m so glad you’re back. You’re ok, right?” Harry asked, stepping back to take a better look at his stepfather. The man looked like he had a lost a bit of weight and could use a shave, but he looked unharmed otherwise.

“I’m fine, Harry, just in need of a long shower and a good night’s rest. What’s been going on since I left? I haven’t heard anything that’s been happening outside of the Clan.”

Harry sighed heavily, feeling so relieved that he felt weak from it. He sat down on the sofa, motioning for Remus to join him.

“A lot has happened. I don’t even know if I can fully explain it all, really,” Harry said before launching into a very long, very confusing story, forcing Remus to wait until he was done to ask any questions. The man was terribly confused.

“So, Draco is in the hospital wing again, but now he has all of his memories back?” Remus asked, trying to make sense of all the things Harry had gone on and on about. The Gryffindor hadn’t been lying when he said a lot had happened since Remus had left.

“Yes he has all of his memories back, but he’s really confused about everything and he asked me to give him some space, so I left. Healer Smithson was running diagnostics on him when I left. Dad should still be there. Do you want to go see him?” Harry asked, hoping Remus would want to go alone so he wouldn’t have to see Draco again.

“Yes, of course, but I think I’ll shower first before we go. It’s good to be back, Harry. I’m sorry things have been difficult the last couple of weeks, but I’m here for you now whenever you need me. I will try my hardest not to be gone like that again, alright?” Remus said as he pulled the teen into another hug, happy for the first time since he left weeks ago.

“Thanks, Remus.”

After a quick shower and a careful shave, Remus and Harry made their way up to the infirmary. Remus’ stomach was twisting in knots, afraid that his bond-mate would still be quite angry with him and push him away. He had missed the Potions Master so much; he hoped Severus would see past his original anger and welcome him back.

When they entered the hospital wing, the Matron, Healer, patient and Potions Professor all looked up and paused in whatever they were doing. There was a tense silence as Severus stood from his seat beside Draco’s bed before walking towards his lover.

“Severus,” Remus said with a soft smile, not entirely sure if the man was preparing to hug him, or punch him; he kind of felt like he deserved both.

“You’re such a fool, Remus,” Severus said quietly as he pulled his bond-mate into a tight hug, breathing in his scent as he revelled in the solid feel of holding his lover once more. He was still angry, but his relief at having Remus back with him over-powered everything else. He was pulled into a deep kiss that was bordering on indecent in front of their child, and it broke only when Harry began to laugh behind his hand, blushing enough for all three of them.

“I missed you,” Remus whispered, brushing Severus’ hair out of his eyes. He was still expecting that punch, to be quite honest.

“I missed you too, you imbecile,” Severus said, though his tone was affectionate, and the extra moisture in his eyes told Remus all he needed to know. He was forgiven, at least for the most part. “Don’t you ever do that to me again, because you won’t be forgiven so easily next time,” Severus said, his expression quite serious.

Remus nodded solemnly, grasping Severus’ hand in his own. “I know. I promise.” Remus looked over and saw Draco, who looked extremely uncomfortable. He could see it in the teen’s eyes; this Draco was someone different, someone who didn’t quite fit in anymore. This was a combination of the old Draco and the new Draco, and he wasn’t sure how to act or think.

“I can’t find anything else wrong with Mr. Malfoy. I’m not even sure how he managed to get his full memory back. Amnesia is a very unpredictable condition; there’s just no way to tell if or when the memories will come back. Draco is lucky to have received them all back, and so quickly, too. I’d like to do monthly check-ups to make sure the blood vessels aren’t swelling again. I’m giving him the go ahead to be released from the infirmary,” Healer Smithson said as she wrote a few things on Draco’s chart before tapping it with her wand, making it disappear.

“You’re sure he’s well enough to leave?” Severus asked as he turned back towards his godson, who was avoiding eye contact with everyone, almost as if he was afraid of what he would see.

“I don’t see why not. All his vitals check out, and he seems to be feeling well. You are feeling well, right Draco?”

Draco nodded, still not looking up at his godfather or the Healer. He just wanted to get away from everyone and think. “Yes, I’m feeling fine. I’d like to spend a little bit of time alone, however. I just need to sort my thoughts.”

The Healer nodded and smiled gently at Severus before heading back towards the Matron’s office to floo back to St. Mungo’s. Madam Pomfrey walked over with Draco’s robes and wand, shooing everyone away so the Slytherin could dress in peace. When the curtains were opened once more, Draco found that Harry, Severus, and Remus had all waited for him.

“I can get to my room on my own; I do remember where it is, after all,” he snapped, getting more irritated by the second. He had just specified that he wanted to be alone, yet they still stood around like he was an invalid who needed an escort wherever he went.

“I think someone should escort you just in case. You’ve had a pretty large medical scare and – ”

“I said I wanted to be alone! Healer Smithson said I was fine, there’s no reason for me to be escorted. Don’t you have classes to be teaching or something?” Draco groused, aware that he was well on his way to having quite a few points taken as well as being yelled at by his godfather about respect, but he obviously wasn’t in a very good mood, and they simply weren’t helping at all.

Severus sighed as he pinched the bridge of his nose, taking a few seconds to calm himself before looking back up at his godson, who was glaring defiantly back at him. This was going to be a difficult situation to deal with, he was absolutely sure of it.

“Fine, you may go on your own, but I will be checking in on you in about an hour, and I don’t want to hear any back talk, understand me? I understand this is all a bit much for you to handle right now, but the last thing you should be doing is pushing the people who care about you away. We’ll give you your space, but you need to realize that we are only trying to help, so stop with the attitude. And no, I don’t have any classes to teach because it’s Saturday, smart-aleck.”

Draco looked chagrined as he nodded, waiting for Severus’ nod before leaving the hospital wing, not sparing a glance for Harry or Remus. The door closed a bit harder than necessary behind him, making Harry jump. He felt a hand descend on his shoulder as he stared at the closed door, willing Draco to come back and tell him he wanted Harry to go with him, to be with him and help him through this.

“He’ll be alright, son, just give him some time. Perhaps you should go update Ms. Granger on what’s been going on before she wears a hole in the carpet in Gryffindor tower?” Severus said, knowing that the intelligent girl was worried, but staying away to give the ‘family’ some privacy.

Knowing that this was probably a sign that his father wanted to be alone with Remus, Harry nodded, thinking that talking to Hermione about everything might be a good idea anyways. “See you at lunch?”

“Yes, we’ll be at lunch. Just leave Draco to his thoughts for a while, though. He needs time to sort all of it out. I know it’s not easy for you either, Harry, but some things are just better done alone. Understand?”

Harry nodded his understanding, glad when Severus pulled him into a quick, tight hug. He hugged his father back before pulling away and hugging Remus too, who smiled warmly at him.

“See you later.”

“Goodbye, Harry.”

S~S~S~S

“Harry, oh thank goodness! What happened, is Draco alright?” Hermione didn’t waste any time in attacking Harry with questions when he entered the Gryffindor common room. A few people turned to stare in curiosity, making Harry immediately uncomfortable.

“Can we go somewhere else to talk, please? I don’t want to explain everything around so many people,” Harry said quietly, glaring at a few third years who were obviously eaves-dropping on them.

“Is everything alright?” Ron had been sitting in one of the armchairs trying to finish an essay for Transfiguration when he saw Hermione rush over to Harry. He looked concerned, which momentarily distracted Harry with shock.

Harry nodded his head towards the portrait hole, his message obviously being that he wasn’t about to give up any information until they were somewhere more private than the middle of the Gryffindor common room. They didn’t have far to walk, as Harry wondered in a circle in front of a certain patch of wall, grasping the door handle as soon as it appeared.

There were three comfy-looking armchairs spread out in a circle, just like he had asked of the Room of Requirement, and Harry gladly sank into one of them, happy when his friends followed his example and sat quietly waiting for him to start the conversation unprovoked.

“Draco had an aneurysm, but his Healer gave him a potion to cure it. When he woke up this morning...he could remember everything.”

There was a long, tense silence as Ron sat and wondered why he was feeling so sympathetic, and Hermione tried not to look so horrified for Harry’s sake. Harry was about to continue on when Hermione cut him off.

“Did he hurt you, Harry? I mean...I can’t even imagine what Draco would be feeling after regaining all of his memory and trying to associate it with the life he’s been living these past few months. He must be so confused, and he probably said some things he didn’t mean in his confusion.”

Harry smiled warmly at the brunette, extremely glad he was friends with such an intelligent young woman. “He is confused, horribly so, and he sort of...pushed me away. I was so worried about him, and I wanted to make sure he was ok, but...he’s not ready for that yet. It feels like I’m stuck in limbo, not with him, but not without him either. I just don’t know what to feel right now. What if he decides he doesn’t like this new life, and he wants to be who he used to be?”

Ron moved forward in his seat, clearly intending to speak, so Harry let him, even though he wasn’t sure he’d like what the redhead had to say. “I don’t think that’s possible, mate. He may remember everything, and have all the memories of how he used to act and feel, but that’s not who he is anymore. It’s not like his personality is an outfit he can decide to just change whenever he pleases. Who he is now, is who he is; his regained memories can’t really change that.”

Harry was staring at the redhead as if he had grown three more red heads to join the first. He’d been prepared for Ron to insult Draco and say that it was good riddance if he didn’t want Harry anymore, but he was certainly not prepared for the level-headed reassurance he’d received.

“I think he just needs time to distinguish between who he used to be, and who he is now. It’s kind of like meeting someone you used to know a long time ago for the first time. He has to get to know himself, in a sense. I’d just give him some time and space, Harry, and not let it upset you so much that he needs this time.”

Harry sighed gustily as he smiled at both of his friends, feeling guilty for ever doubting them before, even if he had good reason to doubt Ron in particular. “You guys are both right. I guess I’m just worried about losing him again. I thought I was going to die the first time, I couldn’t handle a second time.”

Another long pause, wherein Hermione offered him a sympathetic smile and Ron tried to hide his awkwardness at hearing how attached Harry was to Malfoy. The silence was not uncomfortable though, and Harry was extremely glad for that.

“On a happier note, Remus is back. But that also comes with bad news, as he didn’t find anything out about where Tonks might be. I hate that we’re just sitting here, unable to help go out and look for her. You know I’m not the type of person to be content with the knowledge that others are looking for her. I need to actively do something too. I guess Draco and my father have been pretty good distractions lately.”

“As well as you having to deal with me and my attitude. I really am sorry, Harry. I’ve been such an arse lately, and it sounds like you really could have used another friend through all of this. I’m glad to hear that Remus is back. He’s alright, right?”

Harry smiled at the redhead, realizing how much he had missed his friend for the majority of the year. “Thanks, Ron. I’m just glad that I’ve got you back now. Remus is fine, just exhausted and annoyed that he was sent on a seemingly pointless mission. He really wanted to help with the search for Tonks too, but Dumbledore sent him on some wild goose chase instead. I don’t think Dad will ever trust the Headmaster again,” Harry said with a frown, remembering the way the Potions Master had accused Dumbledore of having ulterior motives in sending Remus on that particular mission. He was starting to think his father was right.

“I honestly think Professor Snape may be more in-tuned to the Headmaster’s manipulations than all the rest of us. Maybe Professor Dumbledore isn’t cut out to be our leader anymore,” Hermione suggested, looking to her two friends as if she was asking for them to agree with her, just so she didn’t stand alone in her thoughts.

Harry nodded his agreement, glad when Ron did the same. There was one of those long pauses again, but this time they were all caught up in their own thoughts. They looked up at each other all at once, as if they had all come to the same conclusion simultaneously. Harry was the only one with the courage to say what they were all thinking.

“If Dumbledore can’t lead us through this – who can?”

S~S~S~S

Breakfast was abnormally quiet the next morning. Harry had done as his father had said and left Draco alone for the rest of the night, even though he wanted nothing more than to hold him and make sure everything was ok between them. When he sat down at the Gryffindor table between Ron and Hermione, he made himself wait a full minute before looking across the Great Hall towards the Slytherin table.

Draco was sitting mostly by himself, though Pansy Parkinson was attempting to lean across the table to talk to him. Crabbe and Goyle were sitting on either side of Blaise Zabini, who looked much too smug for a simple Hogwarts breakfast on a Sunday morning. Harry didn’t really care about all that. What he cared about was the dull look in Draco’s eyes as he stared down at his plate, swirling his eggs around without interest.

“Harry...are you there, mate?”

Harry blinked and shook his head, giving Ron an apologetic look as he poked at his own breakfast disinterestedly. “Yeah, sorry; I’m just worried about him.”

Hermione gave him a sympathetic look as she buttered her toast, glancing up as the owls swept through the high windows to deliver the morning post. She had noticed that the teachers looked uneasy and were whispering to each other, which boded ill for the news in the Daily Prophet an owl had just delivered to Hermione.

“Just give him time, Harry. Let him come to you when he’s ready. I know that’s probably easier said than done, but I really think that it would be better than trying to push him when he’s not ready.”

Harry sighed and nodded his agreement with Hermione, wishing that he could be as level-headed about the situation as she was. He was just about to take a bite of his eggs when Hermione let out a loud gasp and spread the paper out in front of her. Her exclamation was mimicked across the hall.

Mayhem In London:
Escaped Death Eaters Suspected!

A popular Muggle clubbing district in the heart of London was attacked last night, resulting in the death of six Muggles, two of them under the age of fifteen, and the injury of dozens more. Muggle authorities were baffled as to what happened, but Magical Law Enforcement was called in when a Wizard amongst the Muggles claimed to have seen Death Eaters cursing the young clubbers.

“I’m sure it was the escaped Death Eaters. They had the white masks and black cloaks, and there was no mistaking the one’s maniacal laughter; You-Know-Who was behind this for sure. Just goes to show that no one is safe now,” said the Wizard who called in the MLE, who wishes to remain anonymous for fear of retaliation.

The MLE have estimated that the six Muggles who were killed had been hit by the Killing Curse as well as another lethal curse that they’ve yet to identify, but are certain is Dark Magic. The rest of the injuries were caused by various Dark spells, including cutting hexes that were so strong, they removed limbs. The MLE are encouraging people to be alert while in public, and to report any suspicious activity or Death Eater sightings.

Minister Cornelius Fudge has refused to comment on this story.

“Why would they want to hurt a bunch of Muggle kids trying to have fun on a Saturday night? I mean, that’s not really accomplishing anything, is it?” Ron said with a bewildered look, shoving down the rest of his omelette as Hermione refolded the paper and set it aside.

“Because they want to hurt all Muggles, Ron, that’s why! They don’t care who they are or how they do it. Muggles are lower beings to them, not even human! Two of the people who died were younger than we are, younger than Ginny. They don’t need to have a reason to maim and kill, and that’s what makes them even more dangerous. There’s not enough being done to apprehend the escaped Death Eaters and it’s getting to their heads, making them think they can get away with anything. Fudge is a despicable man!” Hermione snapped as she angrily cut up her pancakes and stabbed them viciously, chewing them as if they had personally offended her.

Before Harry could get a word in, the Headmaster stood up at the Head table, gaining everyone’s attention. The Great Hall fell silent as he patiently waited to speak.

“The other Professors and I have been discussing the tragedy that occurred in London last night, and what it may mean for us. After a bit of careful thinking, I regret to inform everyone that all Hogsmeade weekends have henceforth been cancelled, and the Quidditch season will be on hiatus until it is considered safe to be out on the grounds once more. The threat of the escaped Death Eaters is higher than ever, and with the lack of action to obtain and imprison these individuals once more by the Ministry, the staff and I have decided to take measures into our own hands to ensure the safety of every Hogwarts student.

“If anyone has any questions, your individual Heads of House will be more than willing to answer these questions. Though we have received sad and frightening news this morning, I hope that you may be able to find peace and have a good day of rest before classes start up again tomorrow.”

The Great Hall stayed silent for a few seconds after Dumbledore resumed his seat, and then quite a loud burst of chatter broke out.

“But there are wards around the Hogwarts grounds! The Death Eaters can’t get close enough to attack us during a match!” Ron complained loudly, the rest of the Gryffindor Quidditch team nodding vigorously up and down the table.

“The next Hogsmeade weekend was on my birthday! This really sucks,” Lavender said with a dramatic pout, flipping her hair aside as Parvati patted her sympathetically on the shoulder.

“Oh would you all get a hold of yourselves and shut up! They’re only trying to protect us by taking away these privileges, and complaining like a bunch of spoiled little children is a pretty poor way to repay them. It’s time we all realized that we’re at war and get our priorities straight,” Hermione’s voice rang out across the hall, gaining attention from the other House tables as well.

Hermione grabbed her bag and slung it over her shoulder as she got up from the bench, glaring at everyone that stared at her. She flounced out of the hall, an uncomfortable silence following in her wake.

“She’s right, you know. They’re only trying to protect us. If Tonks, an Auror who had much more training than any of us, can get kidnapped by the Death Eaters, than the Professors have the right to be concerned about our safety,” said Harry, though much less dramatically than Hermione had shouted her reprimand. After all, his parents were two of the people who had decided on taking these privileges away.

“You’re just saying that because your dads told you to. You can’t say you didn’t know about all this before the rest of us did,” Jenicka Jenkins said, a few of her friends nodding in agreement.

“I didn’t know anything about this, actually. And I’m not saying it because anyone told me to, I’m saying it because I know what’s like to be hunted and hurt by these people, and I don’t want to see any of the rest of you go through that.” Harry let his words set in as Jenicka and her friends stared at him open-mouthed. “See you in class, Ron.”

Harry had only made it halfway into the Entrance Hall when he felt a hand grasp his shoulder. He expected it to be his father or Remus, and so was pleasantly surprised to see Draco peering at him over his shoulder.

“Harry, can I talk to you? Er, in private?” Draco asked quietly, ignoring the whispers that were coming from a group of third year girls who were pointing at him and Harry and giggling. It had taken him quite a while to decide what he wanted to say to Harry, and the Gryffindor’s passionate exit from breakfast had been the last straw for Draco. He missed Harry.

“Of course. Do you want to go to your room?” Harry asked with a gentle smile, already letting his feet lead them to the dungeons, just as a natural reflex. He paused when Draco gripped his shoulder again and shook his head.

“Actually, I wanted to go up to the Astronomy tower. I know we’re not allowed out of the castle now, but that’s technically still part of the castle, and I could use some fresh air.”

Harry nodded his agreement and turned back to the spiral staircase, his steps faltering only for a split second as Draco grabbed his hand and laced their fingers together. He smiled at the blonde as they made their way up to the highest tower of Hogwarts, ignoring anyone who paid them any attention on the long journey up. Sure, they hadn’t been quite as open about their relationship in public as they could have been, but it wasn’t like nobody knew about it. It had been in the Daily Prophet, after all, and most of the population in Hogwarts tended to believe everything printed in the Wizarding paper.

The dizzying trip up the ever-turning staircase was worth it as they stepped out onto the ramparts of the castle, a cool breeze blowing their hair around as they looked out over the expansive grounds. Out in the distance, gray storm clouds were rolling steadily in, promising a large thunder storm when they reached the castle. Harry had eyes only for Draco, however, who had released his hand and walked over to the ledge, leaning over it slightly as he took a deep breath of the cool air. When he turned back around to face Harry he wasn’t smiling, but he looked more at peace than Harry had seen him in months.

“I’m sorry for the way I acted yesterday. I’m still kind of confused about some things, but now that I’ve had some time to think and sort my thoughts, I feel much better. Before, it felt like I was sharing my body with a whole different person. I could remember everything, yes, but it didn’t feel as though I’d lived through those experiences. I was just a bystander, looking on as somebody else with my face and my body lived it all.

“After I left the infirmary I went to my quarters to think. That’s all I really wanted, just time to think. I realized a few things last night. I may feel like the same person I was before the accident, but I’m not. All the things that have happened since then are still with me, and I want to be that person still. I realized I could be both who I used to be, and who I became after the accident, I would just have to change a few things about myself in order for it to work.

“I love you, and I want to be with you. Regardless to say that the person I used to be was a little confused by that desire, but I’ve sorted it out now. I just hope that you’ll still want me, as the hybrid of whom I used to be, and who I became after the accident. I’m not perfect, and I may act like I used to – a jackass, in other words – but I want to be a better person, because you make me want to be one. Just being with you makes me feel like a better person, and I love that feeling. So, I guess I’m asking this; will you forgive me, and try to accept me as I am now?”

Harry moved forwards, pulling Draco close to him in a tight embrace. After what felt like an hour, he pulled away, cupping the blonde’s cheeks as he swept the hair out of his eyes. “Draco, it was never a question in my mind whether or not I would accept who you are now. I love you, and I’d do anything to help you through this, including putting up with you when you’re being an arse, and explaining things when it gets to be too confusing. Even if things get hard, I’ll never leave you, alright?”

Draco let out a shaky breath, smiling at Harry as he tried to blink his tears back. He was mostly successful, which Harry was glad of. There had been enough tears shed that year already, there was no need for more. “Thank you, Harry.”

The kiss they shared was different from their previous kisses in many ways. It was deeper, longer, and more passionate, but it was also more than that. It was a promise, an unspoken vow to each other that neither of them planned to break – ever.

The End.
End Notes:
I hope you enjoyed it, please review! I’ll try to get the next one out a bit sooner! The semester is almost over, so I’ll have more time soon. Yay!!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1860