The Runner by Baghi
Summary: Harry is a runner of drugs, but becomes addicted to alcohol along the way. Severus finds out, and tries to help him.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Vernon, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Drug use, Neglect, Profanity, Rape, Self-harm, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: Runner
Chapters: 29 Completed: Yes Word count: 42847 Read: 146549 Published: 25 Jun 2009 Updated: 22 Aug 2011
New Route by Baghi
Author's Notes:
Chapter 16 already? Wow, and we haven't even started the school year. I have a sneaking suspicion that this one is going to run even farther then the twenties. So without further ado, on we go.

Last time:

It was time to once again become Shade, the Runner, lest he sign his own death warrant. As he had no wish to have someone other then Tom hunting him down, he would perform the run without complaint. So he got out his Runner's vest, his green eyes glittering with loathing at it. What he didn't count on though, was for Draco and Snape to appear in his doorway, both looking concerned (though Snape tried to hide it). Harry looked at them, and knew that he was going to have a very difficult time that day.

Harry lowered the vest, his body tensing slightly. Draco's feelings were obvious: he was scared, concerned and just a bit angry that Harry was thinking about doing a Run. Snape was a bit more difficult, as his face had returned to the neutral he wore when he was hiding his feelings. Harry, much to his embarrassment, blushed slightly as if he'd been caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Pity that the cookies were so bitter, else he might have been more careful about masking the anger and fear that had saturated his every atom since he saw the owl.

"You're crazy, Harry." Draco growled softly. His silver eyes were flickering with the feeling behind those three words. Harry flashed him a grin, as if to say 'What did you expect?' He then look nervously at Snape, unaware his eyes were glittering with a fearful hope. He knew that if Snape said no, there wasn't much he could do. Not with the respect that was starting to build between them. Harry also knew that if he didn't fill his Run quota, that he'd be in a great deal of danger. But for some reason, Snape's regard meant more to him than the potential danger he'd be in. Which was odd, as Harry would never have thought he'd have cared what Snape thought of him. Or at least that had been true a few months ago, but things change, sometimes for the better. Harry hoped that this change was a good one, though he wouldn't let his guard down completely for fear of being disappointed.

Severus sighed mentally, seeing the hope in the child's eyes. He had some idea why the Run was important, but it grated against his nature to let the boy he'd started caring about to put himself in danger. Thus it was with great trepidation that he said "You may go, but not alone." Harry seemed to be a bit put off by that, but accepted the condition for him Running. Severus blinked in surprise, having expect more resistance to the idea of having to be with someone. Or rather, two someones, as he planned to follow at a distance in case he was needed to get the two children out of trouble. Apparently Harry was growing up, fighting less about something that might save his life eventually.

Harry felt a bit aggravated that he had to go with Draco, but knew that Snape wouldn't give him much of a choice. He said softly "Okay. However, Draco needs a disguise of some sort. He is too obviously a Malfoy, and we are going into wizard territory not muggle. Also, he will need a black vest similar to mine but in cotton instead of leather and no trim either." This requirement, of course, took about two hours. Harry explained that the vest designated one as a Runner. The color was their alliance to a certain dealer, and the cloth what rank a Runner was. Harry, as a fully realized Runner, wore leather with a trim. Draco, as a beginner, could not wear leather or a trim. And being in the same color as Harry signaled that he was Harry's apprentice. Thus, any indiscretions that Draco performed, Harry would have to take responsibility for it. This seemed like a ridiculous system to Draco, but he made no protest, only wishing to be there to protect Harry.

Though it seemed like forever, they eventually got everything ready for departure. Draco no longer looked like a Malfoy, instead he looked like a twin to Harry with ebony black hair and fuller face. Harry, meanwhile, had also changed his appearance. His hair had been lengthened to the point that it was in his eyes rakishly, hiding his scar. As an additional protection against being recognized, he blurred the scar into almost non-existence. Of course, this was mostly illusion, with only some physical aspects. But when it was done, neither Harry nor Draco truly looked like themselves. With the Runner vests, the rogue look was complete. Harry took the package and tucked it into a pocket before making sure everything was in place. His wand was easily reachable, as was a sharp dagger (he didn't use it for anything but defense, thus it hadn't been confiscated with the rest of his sharp objects). Then the two of them headed off in search of a wizard tavern, which would be harder to find as they were closer to a muggle neighborhood then a wizard one.

They did manage to find an establishment, which went by the name of Magic Run. It wasn't obvious as a wizard pub, and only the fact that passing muggles didn't notice it suggested that it was indeed magic. They entered warily, noticing that it was far less respectable then the Leaky Cauldron or Three Broomsticks was. Going to the bartender, Harry ordered his usual honey mead, and Draco ordered a butterbeer. They paid for their drinks, and headed for a rather secluded corner. Unlike his usual routes, he was unknown here, so a customer would have to approach him. Thankfully they had been noticed as they bought their drinks, and they were soon approached by a shady character. Harry asked what he was carrying, and Harry replied "Ounce of this, ounce of that." When the would-be customer asked for 'Dragon Fire', Harry pulled out a vial of the red drug. Then began the haggling, starting from fifty galleons and lowering slowly.

While they were doing the haggling, they didn't notice that Severus was hovering in a near-by shadow. He was surprised that Harry had access to that particular drug. It was very dangerous, and required someone with an aptitude with potions to even make. It was one of the more illegal drugs, and the fine was almost as hefty as the five year prison sentence attached to carriers. Of course, the punishment didn't deter determined users or dealers from it. And it was nigh on impossible to stop the production, as none of the Aurors were sure of who could make the drug. The ingredients, though rare, were used in other more useful potions, so they couldn't stop the distribution of them either.

They eventually settled with the customer, and Harry was pleased with the price they had settled on. They soon had more customers, and his supply was out by the time two hours had passed. Once he had no more drugs to sell, he finished his mead and got up. Draco finished his butterbeer, and followed suit. They went back to Snape Manor, Harry's money bad heavier then it had been going out. Once home, Harry went to his room and took out the percentage he owed his provider of the galleons. Putting it in a separate money bag just for that purpose, he got Hedwig out of her cage. Attaching the bag to her talon, he said to her "You know where to go, old friend. Fly safe." Opening the window, he waited until she had nibbled his ear goodbye. She then took off, and he watched her go.

Exhausted, he turned from the window after closing it. Taking off the vest, he folded it up and put it back in his trunk. He scratched at his back, feeling dirty. Closing the door to his room, he went to take a shower. He turned the shower on to the usual just below burning, and entered it. Scrubbing at his body, he washed the sweat. His washing was symbolic of cleaning himself of the dirty feeling of Running, and the memories it brought up. His mind was open after drinking the mead, so he felt Draco sending him soothing thoughts. He let that and the shower un-tense his muscles, feeling the memories retreat. For just awhile, he had some measured peace. He reveled in it, knowing how precious it was. That tremulous peace could and most likely would be interrupted at any time. Or at least that's how he felt at that time.

The End.
End Notes:
I'm sorry for it taking this long. I've been feeling, not exactly depressed, but very tired. Emotional exhaustion leads to writers block. Which isn't a good thing, as college starts very soon. I'm not exactly looking forward to it, as it is to me synonymous to growing up. But I hope you liked this chapter anyways, which was a bit shorter then I have been doing. Please R&R and inform me if you like it or not.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1864