3 Slytherin Marauders by severusphoenix
Summary: Dudley and Harry flee Vernon - to Severus. A different Tom Riddle, Petunia is good. Lucius and Draco are helpful. Albus is a bit misguided. The twins are only a year older than Harry, so I can make them non-Gryffindor.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Fred George, Lucius, Petunia
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 137 Completed: No Word count: 545745 Read: 724984 Published: 28 Jun 2009 Updated: 28 Sep 2014
The Goblet Arrives by severusphoenix

Harry spent much of the train ride mulling over Severus' final instructions. His Dad had told him of the upcoming tournament and admitted that it likely would be another 'way in' for Death Eaters or the Dark Lord to have a go at Harry. Severus had said, with a clenched jaw that 'he simply would not have Harry at risk this year' and he intended to keep a close eye on Harry. Since Sinistra was officially the Slytherin Head of House, Severus would have more time to ensure that Harry was safe.

As for the 'dreams' or 'visions' – Severus kept saying for him to keep 'clearing his mind and let go of all emotion', before sleep. Harry had mixed success with that, as there was no way for Severus to show him how that was done, precisely. The few books on the art of Occlumency were either too vague or too technical. The one that seemed the most honest said that it was different for everyone. Still, what 'clearing out' that Harry could manage had cut down on the dreams.

Harry was quite excited by the news of the tournament. He'd been told to not share the news with anyone, but from Draco's smug look and the fact he was reading a book about a rather famously brutal tournament back in the 1700's he expected that Draco had ferreted the information out.

Harry pulled out a thick history book that reviewed the latest Tri-wizard tournament rules and regulations, the many ancient traditions that had been in place – some of them still in use, some not. Draco grinned at the sight and they shared a conspiratorial look. Tom needed information on rules of the event and had lent the book to Harry after reading it.

There was a very interesting chapter in the book that covered the history of the tournament and mentioned even more ancient games and sports dating to the Roman era and even the times of the pharaohs. This piqued his interest. He would like to see, someday, if he could find memories of those events in the stones in Egypt. He needed to pen a note to Bill about it, perhaps.

The usual rounds were made, catching up with friends. Dudley and Ron found Seamus and Dean – they'd been to each other's houses for some birthdays and seen each other at the World Cup – just before the madness occurred, but it was still good to re-connect. Theo Nott dragged into the compartment with Draco and Harry, looking exhausted.

Harry was quite concerned – he knew Theo's dad had been a Death Eater – one of the many that had pleaded 'Imperious'. They had wondered what the events of the summer had done to the Nott family. "Are you okay, Theo?" Harry asked hesitantly, feeling that it was a stupid question – but saying 'you look like crap, what's going on?' was considered a bit rude.

Theo hunched further, "Since mum died, he's gotten worse and worse. He's just more and more … bitter, I guess. It's like a dark pit is slowly engulfing him, and he won't let me or anyone else try to help him pull back out of it."

Theo grimaced and continued while Draco and Harry looked at him in sympathy. "Of course some of the 'friends' rather encouraged some of his more violent tendencies when he is at his most depressed." Theo gulped and glanced toward the open door, so Harry cast a strong silencing charm. "I know he was at the World Cup – behind one of the Death Eater masks – I just know it."

Harry and Draco looked at him in distress – exactly how did one reply to such a statement? 'Send your father to Azkaban … you'll eventually feel good about it?' No … for Draco could remember when Lucius putting Draco in the same position had not been out of the realm of possibility and Harry was all too aware that Severus had joined Voldemort willingly.

"We're both in your corner on this – if you need a place to run to … well, we have safehouses, although you're only fourteen. We would do our best for you …" Harry shook his head in sympathy.

"Yes … we're Slytherins – we have each other's backs. Severus isn't our Head of House anymore – but Sinistra will do her best for you and Harry's dad will still help if you need it." Draco nodded at Theo.

Theo looked a bit less harried and nodded back. "I will leave home if he tries to drag me into anything … I'll talk to Professor Sinistra if I need to." He hesitated and looked at his friends with entreaty. "You'll talk to your dads, too …" Draco and Harry nodded back to him – they were sure that Severus and Lucius would not hesitate to help hide the teen rather than see him dragged into the Death Eater ranks unwillingly.

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z

Sirius Black stared at the Three Broomsticks menu, sweating a bit. He didn't really need to see the menu – though it had changed during his twelve years away. He was there to see Rosmerta. Thank Merlin he'd asked around a bit about Sniv and Rosmerta's marriage before leaping in. He'd thought it would be easy – casually mention to Ros that she couldn't really want to have the son of her husband's first love in her house … to have to have her own child and future children competing against Harry for Sniv's attention. He'd gone to his cousin to root around for clues as to how to approach Rosmerta.

Sirius winced in remembrance of Andromeda's cutting words when he'd mentioned that perhaps Rosmerta would like Harry to live with Sirius … and his mention of Beth and future children. He hadn't known about the curse Rosmerta had taken and was still in Azkaban when Beth had been adopted.

The script he'd expected to use had suddenly looked pretty hazardous. He'd likely have had a hex sent his way. He'd done a little more digging and found out that, in fact, Rosmerta was quite protective of Harry. She had hexed an assailant right here in the Three Broomsticks one time. Sirius flinched – the hex that Aaron Diggory had received was quite painful and hard to remove. Sirius definitely hoped he didn't leave with it cast on him.

He didn't like to believe that Rosmerta was truly attached to Harry – he'd hoped that Harry was wrong about that, that meant that they'd formed a bond and that trying to pry them apart would merely hurt everyone.

And as for Tom Riddle … After reading numerous articles from the Daily Prophet that Remus had almost literally thrown at him he couldn't pretend that Tom would ever hesitate to lay down his life for Harry – the description of the cauldron that had blown up and Tom shielding Harry had been quite enlightening.

Sirius heard the pub door open and the chattering of a small girl voice and Rosmerta's laughing reply. He briefly thought about slinking out the door, and then leaned back and made eye contact with Rosmerta. She seemed unsurprised to see him and walked over to take a seat across from him, the six year old Beth bouncing into place beside her.

Sirius frantically tried to remember what he'd intended to ask, but nothing came to mind. Things like "would you mind talking Snivellus into kicking Harry out?" or "you don't really care about Harry, do you?" would likely get him hexed or worse, not to mention that he knew the answers to those questions, already.

Finally, Sirius haltingly started speaking. It was difficult for him to talk about Harry and 'Sniv', and he was quite aware he needed to be polite. Rosmerta was one of the most cheerful and generous women he'd ever met … but he'd also seen her when someone had 'crossed the line'.

"I know that so many things – and people - have changed … a lot … over the last twelve years …" Sirius hesitated, not sure how to proceed. "… everyone has been trying to tell me … how … changed, but things they were saying I really didn't want to hear …" Sirius shifted uncomfortably. "… So many things are completely different than what I ever dreamed they would be." Sirius looked into Rosmerta's calm eyes and managed to hold them. "… I knew Sni … Snape had been brought in about the same time as I – I thought he'd been caught out by Albus, I didn't realize that he was ever released – let only so quickly. I spent the twelve years considering him a true Death Eater, whenever I thought of him. Anyway, hearing Harry was adopted and being raised by him was shocking – horrifying really. It was supposed to be Frank and Alice, or maybe Andy and Ted – anyone else."

Rosmerta smiled, Sirius was starting to work through things … and none too soon. Harry would soon have been beyond reaching out to his godfather, if Sirius had continued his barrage of verbal abuse against Severus.

"I know that everyone else has no problem believing that Severus is a wonderful father to Harry … but it's not so easy for me to wrap my mind around that – no matter what the evidence supporting it is." Sirius took a long drink of butterbeer. Even saying that had left a bitter taste in his mouth. "I know Harry is thrilled with his new family … and I should be happy for him – but for me … it's like just yesterday that he was a one – year – old and was James and Lily's child – not yours and … Severus'." Sirius took a deep breath – that had been hard to say.

"Harry does understand that all this has been dumped on you at once, with no warning … and that you'll need time to adjust … but he's also only fourteen – he'll give up if too much time passes. You remember him – but he had no memories or emotional ties to you other than knowing you are his godfather … but that won't mean anything if you can't support the family we all have pieced together." Rosmerta continued smiling, but it had a determined edge to it. "Write to Harry – but do more than give him excuses – tell him you accept his family and that you are happy for him … and work at showing it."

Sirius sighed and nodded. He would start by writing, creating some ties with Harry … and hope he was able to bury his bitterness and anger at Sni … um, Snape before he had to do another face to face meeting with him.

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z

Harry's fourth year started with some excitement. Harry was relieved that Marcus Flint and Oliver Wood had already graduated. The announcement that there would be no Quidditch matches that year because of the tournament would have driven those two into a frenzy. The fact that Hogwarts would be hosting the Tri-Wizard tournament had been greeted with enthusiasm, though the other two schools would not arrive until the end of October.

Tom smiled as he read Harry's latest letter. Sirius Black had grown a few more brain cells and had matured to at least the level of a first year – he'd started sending Harry letters that seemed to be much more accepting. The stories of James now held no recitations of pranks and told a lot of what James and Lily had done as a couple in the Order and as parents. Things were looking up.

Tom looked out the library window and frowned. Yuan and the others would need to choose the dragon to be sent to the tournament for the first task soon. The other two reserves providing dragons had come to the Welsh Reserve to meet with the British Ministry to arrange for the dragons.

There had been arguing when the eager ministry representatives had tried to insist on nesting mothers and their eggs for the challenge. The Romanian Reserve had been on the verge of giving in and the Hebredian Reserve rider had looked uncertain when Tom had spoken up. They could provide excitingly dangerous enough young dragons without risking nesting mothers – Tom could explain to the dragons that they needed to protect the golden eggs that would be the next clue for the tasks. The Reserves promised they would find the most dramatically daring young females and send them.

Yuan had been relieved that the ministry had taken the suggestion of Tom 'speaking' to the dragons with no questions asked. The other reserves riders had raised their eyebrows – but they likely thought it was meant that the message with be sent via another dragon. There usually was an old dragon on each Reserve that even the youngest dragon could understand at least a little.

Now, a month into school things were looking good – if only they had a clue as to where the necklace horcrux was. Also, Tom had a date with the Wizengamot this afternoon. The 'Death Eaters' that had been apprehended at the World Cup had been identified and questioned – some under veritaserum … some not, depending on whether they'd asked for lawyers or not. Only five had been caught alive, there were six others that were dead from various curses – mostly from Tom. Three others had been in St Mungos for weeks from injuries and were insisting they 'remembered nothing', and had no idea how they had ended up in Death Eater robes and cursed by Tom.

They were all being kept in holding cells, though Scrimgeour and a few others were insisting they should just be kept at Azkaban – at least the ones with Dark Marks. Oddly, three of the wizards did not have them; and one of those that was unmarked was dead.

Tom hoped they sorted it all out … and soon. Still, they were at least being reasonably thorough. Four of the Death Eaters had taken the veritaserum and had admitted to setting a few fires and causing general mayhem. This got them sentenced to a couple years apiece. Since their only other crime was wearing the Dark Mark and they said under veritaserum that they had done nothing to try and resurrect "he who must not be named" and had no idea where Pettigrew was, that was that for them.

Two of the others were from eastern Europe and one of them was unmarked. Their ministry had sent someone to intercede regarding them. The diplomat didn't seem sure as to whether his country would try them in court or just dump them in a prison in their own country. At last it was decided they would let the British Ministry do the prosecution and any sentence decided on would be carried out in their own country.

Of the two remaining wizards – the last unmarked wizard had been injured, and had finally been released. They were both insisting they'd done nothing wrong and it had all been a mistake. The unmarked wizard insisted he'd 'woke up in St Mungo's in the Death Eater robes' with no idea of what had happened.

Tom was being summoned by the Unmarked Mister Simonson's lawyer for questioning during the trial today.

Yuan was wary about sending anyone to the ministry alone, so one of the dragonriders who had been in pre-law before 'finding out he was really a dragonrider' was sent along with Tom to the Ministry. Yuan didn't think Tom would really need a lawyer, but having someone who understood 'legalese' nearby would be good.

So, Tom and Bryant arrived at the ministry floo and walked to the courtroom they'd been directed to and waited in the back of the room to be called. A rather proud Adrian Kirke was there and he whispered to Tom that the other Death Eater – who had been bearing the Dark Mark – had finally pleaded guilty to muggle-baiting and had been sentenced to ten years … since the muggle family had not been injured and they had been obliviated, negating any effect of the magical world having been essentially revealed. Adrian had been the one to cast the incarcerous and capturing him.

Simonson's lawyer was trying to wiggle out of the fact than his client was found in Death Eater robes and mask, lying unconscious on the ground beside marked Death Eaters and that his wand clearly had cast Wingardium Leviosa very recently.

Tom was called and he stepped forward to take his place in the witness stand. The defendant's lawyer eyed him warily and Tom had to wonder what he thought he could gain by having Tom answer questions.

"Mr Riddle … we've all read your sworn statement given to the Aurors … I understand the event that occurred was confusing – all those people milling around, curses being thrown, you were busy rescuing the muggles and it had to be difficult to recognize friend from foe when you started throwing curses at those you thought were the enemy." The lawyer said in condescending tones – his tone of voice implied that Tom was clearly deluded and the statement, while not a lie, had to be wildly inaccurate.

Tom smiled haughtily back at the man, refusing to react in anger. "I didn't need to sort out friend from foe … I just threw blasting cursed at anyone wearing a Death Eater mask and robe. I wasn't difficult to know who to target at all …"

"My client … Mr. Simonson … does not carry the Dark Mark." The lawyer answered slowly and carefully, as if speaking to a child. "He was captured and forced to put the garb on and accompany the Death Eaters – he remembers nothing after that …" The lawyer finished in a hopefully triumphant tone.

Tom smiled even more unpleasantly. "From what I have read not all of Lord … Voldemort's …" Tom used that name deliberately, ignoring the collective flinching from everyone in the room. Voldemort was unlikely to apparate into the court proceedings in response to his name being uttered. "… followers were marked. I'm sure a simple statement under veritaserum …"

The lawyer turned abruptly, interrupting Tom, making some in the audience snicker – Simonson and absolutely refused the truth potion. He was insisting he was allergic to it. "… that is not what I meant – I mean that there was no evidence that my client was there willingly, or participated in any illegal activity. Your assault on his person at that time is not actual evidence of wrongdoing."

Tom hung onto his smile with difficulty. The lawyer was pretty good. "I only know that I threw curses at those that were attacking my group - which was busy rescuing muggles who were being assaulted – if your client was in that group – willing or not – he got blasted."

At this the lawyer smiled tightly right back at Tom. "It was shown that three that were found dead were killed by you – and one was sent to St Mungos. We know quite a few apparated away while injured or were carried off – possibly also dead." His eyes narrowed dangerously. "Odd that my client has charges against him and you do not."

Tom fought down a sneer and merely glared at the lawyer. Luckily the prosecutor leaped in at that moment.

"Mr Riddle is not the one on trial … we examined pensieve memories from Auror trainee Kirke and newly graduated Auror Tonks, as we have said before. It is quite clear that every spell he threw was to either rescue the muggles or to defend others." The prosecutor nodded shortly at Tom and there was a small smattering of applause from Aurors and from the audience.

Yvane seemed satisfied with that – he'd started muttering in the background at the lawyer's implications - and had gotten progressively louder, but the prosecutor's defense of Tom had mollified the old dragon.

The defending lawyer shrugged a bit and looked skeptical … but changed course again. "Still, … was there a way for you to tell if all the wizards you hit with spells were attacking you – or if they were just standing there – being held prisoner by the attackers?"

Tom was tempted to shout that the lawyer and anyone buying this tripe should be turned into potions ingredients for Severus.

"Sure – we're quite sure the man is guilty. His excuse is rather … thin." Yvane muttered – obviously unhappy at playing devil's advocate. "On the other hand, we thought the same about Sirius Black's story."

Tom hesitated at that. He was pretty sure the defendant in front of him was guilty … the sullen visage and hatred spilling from his eyes were quite telling … but Sirius Black's screaming mug shot had been just as 'obvious'.

"No, of course not." Tom answered calmly. He would just have to sit back and let the justice system take its course. At least the Wizengamot was taking care to weigh things carefully. There were not overwhelmed by hundreds of Death Eaters to prosecute, so they could look closely at all evidence. The wizarding world was not in an orgy of celebration – so they were watching these proceedings carefully.

The lawyer seemed to feel this was a victory and smiled smugly at Tom. Tom was waved down to the audience and resumed his place between the dragonrider and Adrian. He'd been taken aback by what Yvane had said – but he was right. It was never a good idea to take things at face value. He needed to remember that.

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z

Severus watched out over the Great Hall at Halloween. Harry was there, this year. He'd let Harry choose how to spend this holiday the last two years. He'd taken Harry to the Godric's Hollow gravesite earlier that day. But he had asked that Harry be there for the arrival of the other schools, even if he left soon afterwards.

Harry seemed perfectly happy, at present. Severus was seated as far from Mad-eye Moody as possible. Severus disliked that man on principle, but he also went out of his way to harass Severus. There was something odd about Moody – he was more hostile than ever before, of course, and Severus had looked closely at him a couple times. His aura was the same as ever – an orangey – yellow that flickered oddly at time, nonetheless the same he'd always felt the few very unhappy times he'd been around him.

There was a second table, now, behind the usual teachers table. Lucius and the governors were seated there, ministry representatives next to them at the table. Everyone was eagerly awaiting the announcements. The students had seen the carriage pulled by the flying horses as well as the submarine / ship that had erupted out of the water.

Filch had splurged some of Mrs Norris' money on a splendid jeweled collar for her and a new suit and robes for him. Sprout had managed to chivvy him into a haircut and he looked more presentable, although still a little frightening.

The schools were announced and the Hogwarts students were impressed with the displays by them. Professor Flitwick had proudly led the Hogwarts choir in a song 'Something Wicked This Way Comes'. Dumbledore had felt that all the students should sing the school song. Severus had objected on behalf of Filius – Albus was always forgetting about the choir. Albus had caved when all the other teachers had backed Severus.

Igor smirked at Severus and sat next to him, making him grimace. His only solace was that it made Harry laugh. Albus and Barty Crouch Sr. made their announcements and the Goblet of Fire was unveiled. Severus had a moment of foreboding, but could not see how Harry could end up in danger. There were obviously students who intended to try to get their names in the cup even if they weren't seventeen – namely the Weasley twins – but Harry was unlikely to try that. Harry didn't need to look for trouble – it always found him unaided.

The Goblet was placed in an antechamber and an age line was set. The names would be pulled the following evening.

There was a lot of exciting talking amongst the students as they went their way to the dorms. Harry and Draco were ecstatic that Victor Krum and his fellow Durmstrang students were joining the Slytherins. An extra level had been opened in the top of the Slytherin dorms to make space for the students.

Ron was nearly green with jealousy. He really had hoped to have better access to the Quidditch star. Still, Dudley could get into the Slytherin dorm and Ron would just have to tag along. The castle thrummed with excitement as the students slept restlessly.

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1868