3 Slytherin Marauders by severusphoenix
Summary: Dudley and Harry flee Vernon - to Severus. A different Tom Riddle, Petunia is good. Lucius and Draco are helpful. Albus is a bit misguided. The twins are only a year older than Harry, so I can make them non-Gryffindor.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Fred George, Lucius, Petunia
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 137 Completed: No Word count: 545745 Read: 724983 Published: 28 Jun 2009 Updated: 28 Sep 2014
Chapter 26 by severusphoenix

The day after the Gringotts trip found everyone at the Malfoy Manor. Dudley and Draco went to the new ‘exercise room' near the small Quidditch pitch while they waited for Harry - they'd been promised another flying lesson. Draco had asked his father to obtain similar exercise equipment to what Dragonsrest had. Dudley had offered to show Draco how to use it all.

Harry watched them go in resignation. The accountant from the Norris Accounting Firm - a Mr. Stebbins - wanted to ‘go over a few things with him'. Severus was quite firm that he should know, at least a little, about his finances and what belonged to him.

Harry and Severus had gone over the lists of items in his four vaults the evening before. There was only money in his personal trust vault. The Potter family vault, though, seemed to have an endless list of personal belongings. The other two that he had inherited, to his relief, had fewer things.

They had marked off things Harry and Severus felt he should keep in the vaults, made a list of what he wanted to be sent to him at Dragonsrest (mostly books, and a few objects that had belonged to his parents) and a short list of items that Severus said to get rid of, as he recognized them as dark - and mostly likely illegal. The goblins would destroy them for a small fee.

The accountant let him know the amounts in the vaults, and told him that the two companies he owned were being run competently. "The managers of the potions vial manufacturing plant, and the Snitch makers there at Godric's Hollow do an exemplary job - the Goblins have overseen it since your parents' death, for a small fee, of course. They were glad to give the job over to us, as it's a bit out of their usual line of work."

"I have a company that makes Snitches? Cool - wait until Draco hears that." Harry latched onto the sentence he understood and actually cared about. Harry snickered and peered at Severus slyly. "You shouldn't have to pay for another potions vial, ever again, Severus. I can send for vials for Christmas, your birthday, Valentines..."

Severus rolled his eyes and turned back to the accountant. "Any other companies?" He interrupted Harry's litany of holidays.

"There was one company that had been invested in that was a total loss - the market for the treats for familiars made by them collapsed after it was found they killed the animals - it took months for the effects to be seen, and by that time the Chairman of the company had ...disappeared with the company funds. There are three companies that Mr. Potter owns stock in, and all of them are doing well. He's not a majority stockholder in them, so he doesn't need to make any decisions. I will contact you, Mr. Snape, if there is anything he needs to decide on with the two companies he owns." Mr. Stebbins smiled at Harry's glassy-eyed boredom.

Severus nodded, "Anything else that he needs to know?"

"There are four houses that belong to him - well three, as the Godric's Hollow house was destroyed soon after...well...that night. The Goblins said they suspected the LeStranges..." He trailed off at Severus' look of warning and Harry's look of confused alarm. "There is also a Potter Manor that is old, but part of a large estate - they raise some animals - it's well cared for by the house elves and a young couple. There's a house from Audra Peverell that he inherited, along with the vault - it's kept up by the elves." Stebbins frowned and cleared his throat. "There is also an old, very large - almost a castle - in Bulgaria. It was inherited by the 3rd cousin - Roderick Potter from another 3rd cousin - or maybe it was a 4th cousin - we're not sure - on his mother's side. Anyway, he never actually saw it. The family still living in the area - the Krum family - is quite anxious to buy it back as it is ‘Krum Manor'" Stebbins looked at them expectantly.

"We should let them have it, shouldn't we?" Harry looked at Severus anxiously. He didn't like the idea of keeping a home from a family that should have it. Besides, it was in Bulgaria. Why would he want a place in Bulgaria?

Severus waved at Lucius, who was behind a silencing spell with Tom, going over his list of items from ‘the Voldie Vault', as Tom mockingly called it. Lucius came over.

"Any reason you can think of that we shouldn't sell the Krum Manor back to the Krums? Harry somehow inherited it." Severus asked.

"They're all a good family. A bit blunt, no - nonsense. If they have a beef with you, they let you know it and come at you head on - no back-stabbing." Lucius shrugged, "I know of no reason not to."

Severus turned back to Stebbins, "If Harry wishes, let them buy it back at a fair price." Harry nodded happily.

"Is that everything?" Harry asked hopefully. At their nod, he whooped and ran for the door.

Stebbins chuckled. "He's a bit young to grasp the need to care for his investments and money."

"Yes, I realize he won't be able to make a truly informed decision right away. I do want him to, at least, be aware of what belongs to him." Severus looked at the accountant closely, Roth Stebbins also took care of his own money, and he trusted his opinion. "His finances truly are in good order?"

"Yes, the Malfoys are in no danger of being eclipsed, but he's a fair sized fortune. The one investment that went bad didn't really cost him much - the money to the ... relatives... cost him more." Stebbins grimaced, he still thought they should take the money back, but Severus said it was a bad idea to create friction between the cousins, where there was finally some goodwill. He closed up the briefcase and walked to the floo, he had a Manor to sell.

Lucius took down the silencing spell, and Severus went to join them in sweating over ‘the list'. They'd made a second copy to scribble notes on. They check-marked in red all the items they knew were dark, or cursed or just plain dangerous - that was most of them. They noted former owners if they knew who they were, and if they were families to be trusted, or if they were known Death Eaters.

They did see that many of the very dark items were originally Goblin-made. "The Goblins will take them back, since they consider themselves to be the true owners of what they make. They will certainly agree to cleanse them of dark magic or curses, in exchange for the return of the item."

They finally had a list of eight goblin-made items that they knew they wanted to be rid of immediately. There was also a list of five items they wanted destroyed - that shouldn't be returned to anyone, least of all the families listed as former owners.

"There's also this dagger - its Goblin made, and cursed. But - I think it must be very old, and we should really research it a bit, before deciding to give it back to the Goblins." Tom peered at the description with a frown.

"Well, I'll send an owl requesting an interview with the supervisor at Gringotts, saying we wish to return those eight items, in exchange for them destroying the other five. They should find that acceptable." Lucius looked at Tom in inquiry.

Tom nodded, "This will get rid of over 1/3 of the items - and almost all of the really dark ones - particularly those five." He shuddered, the two cursed grimoires alone were horrible - nothing in those books could do anything but cause pain and slow destruction to the owners.

Lucius and Severus went off to contact the Goblins.

"Yes, Voldemort must have become quite mad by the time he accumulated all these things. Being around such evil after having split his soul so many times likely drained what little humanity he had left." Yvane said sadly. "Dragons like to accumulate gold and jewels at times, mostly because we know how to infuse magic into them, and then it creates a nice cozy environment for us to live in. We do love to hoard knowledge, and we certainly understand being territorial - but much of what you humans do as far as your possessions are concerned is an utter mystery to us dragons." Yvane sighed.

"I suppose we do become packrats, and much of what we hoard and make much of most likely does seem foolish to you. In the end - we can't take it with us when we die." Tom answered quietly.

"Oh, I've been around you humans long enough to know that it's not always foolish. Books contain knowledge - hopefully - and that isn't foolish. Sometimes an object is treasured because it belonged to a loved one. Not all possessions are foolish. If you have the books to impress others and never study the knowledge they contain - that is foolish. Why you have something is important." Yvane said.

Tom sighed, "Enough advice, lets go watch the boys fly." And Tom trudged to the door.

"Of course - I can tell you what advice to shout to them - I am an expert in flying." Yvane answered smugly.

"I thought I said ‘enough advice'." Tom muttered under his breath.

"I heard that." Yvane huffed.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

The three boys circled the pitch behind the instructor, Roland Higgs, following his lead in loops and figure-eights. They hovered above the field as other moves were demonstrated. They all had charmed helmets and the brooms had sticking charms for beginners.

Higgs soon had Harry and Draco tossing the quaffle back and forth between them as they flew. Higgs pegged Dudley as a beater, and showed him how to whack at a bludger. Higgs stayed at the edge of the pitch, alert for mistakes or trouble.

Lucius and Severus sat in the small, covered stand eating lunch. Tom ate slowly as well, reading a book intently and muttering to Yvane. The boy's stomachs soon announced lunchtime, and they joined in to make the elves' meal disappear.

"Ancient weapons of renowned?" Draco read the title of Tom's book quizzically. "Are you researching something?"

Tom looked at the others assessingly. "There's a cursed dagger I've come across - I want to know exactly what it is and who it belonged to before being rid of it." Tom looked over at the two men, "I need to get more books, again."

Lucius snickered. "You do know how to get on Severus' good side - he loves to hear those words."

Severus smirked, "I now have an excuse to enlarge the library right away."

Roland Higgs had joined the lunch and interrupted eating the excellent food. "I expect all three of the boys will have no difficulty joining the teams. As we noticed before - Draco has the makings of an excellent chaser. Harry is doing well in that, too - and they seem to work well together - that is a distinct advantage. They both have the quickness to try for the seeker position, if they wish. Dudley certainly has the muscle to be a good beater, when he gets quicker and more skilled he might think about being a keeper. They all have the ability to try for more than one position."

Severus remembered Albus' rather sneaky request for introductions to other students. "Roland, our Slytherin seeker is your nephew, isn't he?" At the man's nod he continued. "If we arrange another lesson in a few days - perhaps you could bring him along, I'm sure he wouldn't mind showing moves to potential team-mates."

Roland chewed thoughtfully. "Yes, I'm supposed to attend supper tonight - my sister-in-law most likely wants to shove another ‘wonderful witch with a great personality' at me. I'll distract them by asking if Terrence wants to help teach Harry Potter how to fly."

They all laughed companionably, yes, that would likely distract them.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

That afternoon, there was another 'event'. Lucius had carefully felt out Cornelius Fudge about Harry Potter, hinting that the boy had a new guardian - one approved of by Albus Dumbledore (quite true), and that it was because of the Aunt being injured, and a death in the family (also quite true). Lucius also hinted that the guardian was a good friend of Lucius', and that he could get Cornelius in to see Harry ‘and get chummy with him'.

Severus had no intention of letting Fudge influence Harry, but he saw the value of keeping Fudge happy and for the Minister to see Harry as an asset and not a threat. Fudge had inherited the Ministry, as he had been the minister's chief aide when his predecessor had died. Unfortunately that happened in the middle of the worst part of the war. Fudge would not like the idea of a second war; he would need a lot of support to keep the ministry on an even keel when Voldemort returned.

Fudge arrived with only one Auror, and one assistant - who just happened to have a camera with him. They had expected they wouldn't get out of this without at least one picture.

Severus had talked at length the evening before, while they had gone over the list of vault contents. Severus had explained the Minister for Magic's position and the general run of the government. Fudge wasn't a bad minister - during peacetime he was quite good, actually. But war may very well be coming - and soon. Fudge was definitely against Voldemort, and could be helpful if he perceived Harry to be in his corner.

Severus and Lucius met him before letting him meet Harry. Severus was introduced as Harry's Guardian.

"I know you realize that Harry's safety is a top priority." Severus watched Fudge nod his head agreeably. "It was thought best that Harry's residence, when he is not at Hogwarts, be at a Dragon Reserve - there is nowhere as secure as one of those places. The wards to keep the young Dragons in, and everyone not keyed in as a resident out are among the best in the world."

Cornelius' jaw dropped - a Dragon Reserve! "Quite brilliant strategy, Professor Snape, I can see why you were entrusted with him." Cornelius was sworn to secrecy, as well as the assistant and Auror, and they went into the parlor for afternoon tea.

The Minister spotted Harry immediately. "Mr. Potter, a pleasure to meet you at last."

Harry shook hands with him with a smile. "Very pleased to meet you as well, Minister Fudge." The man seemed to be nice, although he was certainly a politician, so best to be very polite - but not too chummy.

Severus stepped forward smoothly. "This is Harry's cousin, Dudley Dursley - and of course, you already know Lucius' son, Draco Malfoy." All the boys shook Cornelius' hand and greeted him. "Their tutor is down at the library - likely plotting extensive lessons for them." Fudge nodded with disinterest, he had no need to meet a tutor.

The beaming Minister was soon on a sofa and was served an elegant tea. He was soon surrounded by the boys, who had been told beforehand to tell all the dragon stories they liked - with no mention of Yvane, and that Tom was not to be mentioned if at all possible - and to let Lucius or Severus answer any questions about him. They soon had the Minister enthralled with their description of the pool with its ‘water park slide', and having to share it with the young Welsh Green. The assistant took some shots of the Minister with the three boys laughing over Yao ‘the Emperor of all the Hot Water' as the other Dragons called him.

"I didn't know that the older dragons became so very talkative." Cornelius said. "Perhaps I can visit some time - perhaps next summer and meet your dragon friends." The boys nodded happily - that was a long time from now.

The Minister was soon happy to leave - he had his photo's, had ‘made friends' with the lads, and was assured that Harry Potter's Guardian intended to keep the Ministry ‘in the loop' with information. He left well pleased with the days work.

Lucius and Severus nodded to the boys. "Well done, you charmed him quite nicely." Severus smirked at Harry, who looked pleased at having done the 'Minister meeting' the way his guardian wished. Harry was glad that Severus always explained what was happening, and why. He like being 'kept in the loop' as much as Cornelius did.

An owl from Gringotts arrived to the parlor at the same time as a disgruntled Tom. The Malfoy library just didn't cater to someone researching ancient daggers.

"The Goblins will see us as soon as they open tomorrow - they must be quite eager." Lucius said with a smirk. "We'll have those objects gone in no time. Perhaps they can tell you a bit about the dagger, since it is Goblin made."

"Can we trust their information - they'll likely say whatever they need to, to get it back." Tom answered doubtfully.

"I'll be able to tell if they are misleading you - Goblins are not unknown to Dragons. They one enslaved us when they could, to use as guards." Yvane spoke so all could hear him.

"They still have one, deep in the depths - I saw it near the Black family vault." Lucius said carefully.

Yvane was silent, but Tom could feel his anger. "Maybe we can negotiate his release?" Tom asked hesitantly. He looked at Severus and Lucius for help. "I can understand your anger, Yvane. Maybe they will take some of the items in exchange for it?"

"We can talk to them of it, when we see them tomorrow." Lucius answered, also unsure how to placate an angry Yvane.

"If he is down there, he's likely never seen the sky since his capture." Yvane said heavily, still speaking to everyone. "Dragons like caves, to an extent, and we do hibernate a bit in winter. But to never see the sky, or fly - that is a terrible thing for a dragon."

"I promise, if it takes all the contents of my vault, we'll get him free." Tom said, "After all, I owe you my life, sort of, so if my vault can free your fellow dragon - it's only fair."

"You do understand friendship, at last." Yvane said, just to Tom, making him flush and smile at the praise.

"If they won't let us ransom him, we can always break him out." Harry said, and Dudley and Draco both looked eager at the idea. Lucius and Severus paled at the idea of annoying the Goblins to that extent.

"I'm sure that won't be necessary." Lucius assured them hastily, determined to get that blasted dragon free at any cost, to keep the boys from any Gryffindor-style adventures. Dragon rescues, indeed. He locked eyes with Severus, who looked equally determined.

They would teach the boys subtlety if it killed them.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1868