3 Slytherin Marauders by severusphoenix
Summary: Dudley and Harry flee Vernon - to Severus. A different Tom Riddle, Petunia is good. Lucius and Draco are helpful. Albus is a bit misguided. The twins are only a year older than Harry, so I can make them non-Gryffindor.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Fred George, Lucius, Petunia
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 137 Completed: No Word count: 545745 Read: 724970 Published: 28 Jun 2009 Updated: 28 Sep 2014
Mistletoe by severusphoenix

Bill watched Tom leave Gringotts and turned back to the expectantly waiting Goblins. "He needed advice on a personal matter, and there is a curse he wants discreetly identified. He wouldn't bring the object the curse is on; he just brought a description of the spell."

The Goblins looked disappointed at the simplicity of the requests, but nodded. "Mr. Riddle is an important client, so get the curse looked into right away." Bill's boss looked at him closely. "It's good you're keeping him happy. Well done."

Bill smiled, he hadn't expected a commendation for just doing Tom a favor, but if it kept his bosses happy as well he wouldn't complain about it. Bill was shooed down to the Cursebreakers by the Supervisor to look over the spell description.

ZZZZZZZZZZZ

Severus received a letter from Hedwig the morning after the ‘coffee cartoon' incident. The students watched the owl expectantly. Severus wasn't sure what the students expected Hedwig to do; she was still just an owl even if she was owned by the ‘Boy Who Lived'. She was admittedly a very clever familiar - but still...they seemed to anticipate acrobatics, or something.

He tossed Hedwig a couple strips of bacon and opened the letter. Moments later he came close to spewing his coffee over the unfortunate bird, but managed to just choke and cough instead. Minerva looked alarmed and Albus appeared to waver between amusement and concern.

"Is there a problem, Severus?" Albus asked.

"No, Harry was just answering my missive from yesterday. He let me know he was glad that Ms. Tonks had not drawn bunny slippers on my cartoon character." Severus' answer was met with hilarity from everyone within hearing distance, and Madame Hooch actually swatted him on the back. He sneered at them a bit, but didn't really care - Harry had been reassured and that was all that mattered. He fed the rest of his bacon to Hedwig and told her to return to Harry. "I'll send him another letter in a day or two." She hooted in answer and winged away.

"Well, at least the letters in the editorial section all seem in your favor, at present. Apparently everyone feels that Harry wouldn't get you that shirt if you were in any way a bad guardian. The worst anyone says is that they don't understand why you like coffee instead of tea." Minerva said and turned back to her own tea pointedly.

"One of my first jobs was with a transplanted American who always had a pot of it going in the morning. One takes what one can get first thing in the morning. I grew to like it." Severus answered a bit defensively. "I still like tea later in the day."

Percy watched Hedwig leave with a pang of anticipation. He would have an owl of his own, soon. A great horned owl, at that - an owl that could carry packages as well as letters. A really good owl. Poor Errol really needed retiring or at least a lessening of duties. Percy was glad dad had gotten that promotion at work. Finances had relaxed a great deal and with Bill out of the house working there was an easing of bedroom space and other expenses as well.

Still, an owl like Tom was giving him would not have been possible for his parents to buy at present. He thought briefly about his pet rat, Scabbers. He'd found him in the garden when he was five or six. Not a bad pet for a youngster, but he was fourteen now, and an owl was a much better familiar. He'd give him to Ron as a Christmas gift, he thought.

Percy briefly considered Ron's situation as youngest son. He could remember resenting receiving so many hand-me-downs from Bill and Charlie. It must be so much worse after things had also passed through his hands and the twins as well. He knew his mum many times bought new for the twins ‘so Ron would get more clothing that was not as used'. He suspected that it was also because as twins, they reminded her of her dead brothers - Fabian and Gideon.

Well, at least Ron had always seemed interested in Scabbers and would likely welcome him as a pet. He'd also copied the big, beautifully illustrated book on dragons that Draco and Harry were always pouring over. Dudley liked the dragons, as well, but had seemed less intent on them that the other two. Percy was sure that even if he was not as dragon mad as Charlie and he, that Ron would like the book as a present.

He'd also scrounged through Severus' library as well as here at Hogwarts, looking for more household magic books - particularly those that he knew his mother didn't have. Tom hadn't said anything when he'd copied a few from their library, to his relief. And he'd only run across two at the library with spells to prevent copying. He had a nice stack for his mother as a gift. Tom had recently found some muggle books to copy for him and had sent them to Hogwarts ‘for his father'. Percy had been quite grateful and had searched hard for some books at Hogwarts to copy and send back to Tom in exchange.

The twins were easy, although the books he'd gotten them he was almost hesitant to give, as there would be an increase in charm related pranks once they had these particular books in their hands. Percy had been relieved that the string of pranks that occurred on a regular basis seemed to be from more than just his brothers, although he was willing to wager the twins planned most of them.

Percy looked over at the smugly smiling Professor Sprout. She was listening to an irate Professor Vector, who was obviously complaining - likely about Timothy Hopkirk's set of rune blocks that had been jinxed to give improper conjectures that when mixed with the arithmantic equations, made his parchment catch fire and turned his skin a rather loud plaid pattern. Sprout was looking amused, so likely nothing would come of it all, even if they could prove who had done it.

Sprout had seemed, at first, scandalized by the ‘goings on' created by the twins, and then resigned. But now she seemed a bit proud of it all, as the pranks seemed confined to people who were themselves causing a bit of upset to others - and in less than kind ways. Timothy Hopkirk, for one, had been spending most of his time since the start of school making fun of several children there on the governor's scholarships. Those children had rather shabby robes and used textbooks, and Timothy seemed to find that ... amusing. The runes weren't the first prank played on him, and if his attitude didn't change Percy knew it wouldn't be the last.

"Oi, have you figured out what to get Ginny as yet, Perce?" Charlie elbowed him back to reality.

"No, I've found books for everyone. Now we know Bill's interested in Egypt, I found something for him as well. Ginny, though...I've copied some good story-books and I hope they'll do. Mum was no help. She did say that Ginny's intent on really impressing everyone when she gets here. Maybe one of beginning charms or something could be added?" Percy was a bit frustrated, trying to think of something for his sister.

Charlie nodded. "Wish I could master that copying charm. I just don't seem to have the focus."

Percy grinned teasingly at him, earning another jab to the ribs. He'd noticed Charlie struggling with some mind-magic books that were completely inadequate, in preparation for trying for a job at the Reserves. He'd had Tom copy some Occlumency and Legilimency books from Severus' library, with his permission, knowing the subject was a bit restricted. A perfect gift for Charlie, and he would feel he'd actually gotten excellent gifts for all this year.

Percy gripped the memory vial in his pocket for luck, as he did each morning. He'd only gotten the chance to see the memory from Yvane of the Hogwarts founders once, when Tom had first given it to him, but he could still remember it with awe. He doubted anyone here at Hogwarts - except Snape had seen anything like it. He knew Tom shared his eagerness to delve into the dragon's collective store of knowledge, and he looked forward to Tom joining him here at Hogwarts next year.

Charlie was a bit more complacent about Christmas. He'd traded with his friend on the dragon reserve. He'd sent a large skein of Unicorn hair he'd got off Hagrid for a bunch of dragon teeth and some scales. Having the teeth put in necklaces or earrings had been easy, and the scales made into excellent oven gloves for mum. He'd been lucky, of course, getting the unicorn hair, but Hagrid seemed unconcerned by how valuable the stuff was. He'd kept back a hank of the hair to give to Percy, knowing he'd value it as much as the dragon's tooth.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Lucius left with Draco, Harry and Dudley - all of them bundled up well and with warming charms cast. Lucius gave each of them an emergency portkey. "If any of you get separated - or anything - use it to return here." Lucius was nervous about taking them to the Quidditch game after the close calls they'd had recently, but keeping the boys cooped up would be worse.

He thought darkly about Neville actually casting a spell on Draco. He'd not wanted to think badly of Frank's son, but obviously he was showing more of his mother's malevolence. Severus had told him what Tom had discovered and the news of possible abuse had quieted his need to confront the little rat. He didn't like to think that Augusta would ignore Algie's tormenting Neville, but he also knew she would be reluctant to tolerate a squib grandson. She would be the type to turn a blind eye to someone ‘scaring the magic out', and if the boy died ‘well, the poor thing wouldn't have to live as a squib, would he?' He'd heard that sort of talk among wizards before - among ‘light' families as well as ‘dark'.

Lucius shook the dark mood off. They were off to see the Harpies and his favorite Quidditch team always took his mind off dark matters. The generous amounts of cleavage the Harpies always showed did help.

Petunia waved them off happily, she'd invited Rosemerta over to help with decorating Dragonsrest, as Petunia was unsure of any differences in Yule traditions. Tom and Dora hunched over Arithmantic texts. There had been a lot of advances in this area over the last four decades - but it had not been Dora's best subject, so they were both learning a bit.

Petunia and Rosemerta cheerfully set to arranging a tree - leaving the ornaments for the boys. Garland with Holly and Ivy was strung and balls of Mistletoe were strategically placed.

"I hope you and Severus are here to make use of the Mistletoe now and then." Petunia said ruefully.

"Who knows? Our schedules aren't exactly set, but I believe I'll be here at least some of the Holiday's." Rosemerta answered. "You might try cornering someone under them, yourself."

For a moment Petunia couldn't imagine who she meant, then giggled with a blush. "Can you just see me planting a big kiss on Lucius' lips?" Petunia snickered. "I think that is why Lucius carries a cane - just to fend off eager women with, particularly this time of year when Mistletoe might give them a ready-made excuse." They both laughed heartily.

"It's been months since his divorce, now. I haven't heard a breath of scandal regarding him, although Witch Weekly keeps musing out loud about who he might marry next. A rich and handsome bachelor like him can't be let loose for long - at least according to them." Rosemerta said.

"They aren't allowed to stay single in the muggle world either, I assure you." Petunia answered. She had hoped there wouldn't be any speculation about she and Lucius in the papers. Now she was working with him, she knew there might be, even if she was a squib. The idea of ‘cornering Lucius under the Mistletoe' was ludicrous, of course. It would be like stalking a movie star and accosting them. Going to that lunch and having the waitress gawk at them had been bad enough. She didn't envy whoever did end up at his side - the scrutiny they would likely endure would be sheer torture.

Tom and Dora stopped for lunch and headed brought their plates of sandwiches and fruit back to the library. Tom heard a giggle as he was setting the plates down and looked at the giggling Dora, whose eyes flicked to above his head and then back down. He looked over his head suspiciously and found a ball of Mistletoe, to his dismay.

Tom looked back at Dora and raised an eyebrow, refusing to be embarrassed. This made Dora blush rather interestingly. Was she really interested in him? He took the plate from her hand and set it on the table, while drawing her toward him. Her eyes widened and her hair turned a bit lavender. Tom hoped that didn't mean he was about to get slapped.

Tom leaned in for a kiss and saw her eyes close, and let his own eyelids drift shut. He prayed that didn't mean he would miss her lips. To his satisfaction their lips met right on target and pressed together sweetly. It did feel good and her arms drifted up to wrap around his neck. The kiss deepened a little and he was relieved he hadn't already eaten the bratwurst and onion sandwich - it would have put her off kissing him ever again.

They could hear Petunia and Rosemerta clanking down the hall with more tinsel and lights, and they broke apart. Dora blushed a bit more and her hair was now a deep purple. Tom wished he knew what all the colors meant. Dora took a long drink of eggnog and started eating and Tom followed her lead. From the look she gave him across the table the kiss must have been ‘okay'.

"You would likely know if she was displeased - Dora isn't the sort to suffer in silence." Yvane snickered.

Tom relaxed a bit - that was likely true. The pair got back to studying with the pressing of legs together underneath the table distracting them - though it never had before. Tom suddenly noticed Dora had curves under those robes - nice ones too. He also noticed the library was suddenly much too hot.

Thank Merlin Lucius and the three boys got back to Dragonsrest soon after that. Dora looked relieved, as well.

All three boys were now confirmed Harpies fanatics. The boys had watched the game with enthusiasm and cheered for the Harpies. The crowd had soon noticed that Harry Potter was in their midst, but had managed to refrain from mobbing them, to Lucius' relief. He supposed his fierce looks at anyone who looked like they might approach them had helped. The crowd had confined themselves to waving at Harry at every opportunity, and yelling hellos. Harry had waved back at people with friendly smiles when his attention wasn't on the game.

Harry, at least, was totally mesmerized by ‘Jennifer the Juggernaut' - the Harpies' newest Beater, who was a wildly flamboyant, hyperactive redhead who swung her beater's bat with terrifying enthusiasm. Dudley and Draco agreed she was, indeed, a force to be reckoned with.

Lucius managed to get the three awestruck boys in to see the team, not difficult after the team managers saw who Lucius had with them. Harry was speechless with excitement to have his Harpies poster signed by the team - especially the madly grinning Jennifer, who had ruffled his hair affectionately with a laugh after he'd blurted out that she was ‘spectacular'.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Bill was able to leave Gringotts a bit early that day - saying he was taking care the ‘personal matter' of Tom's. His boss had looked a little suspicious, but had waved him away. He got to his father's office with plenty of time to spare and impressed Arthur's boss with his Gringotts Cursebreaker robes.

Arthur had waved him to a seat by his desk. His office wasn't large, but it was an office of his own and he now had his own team. Bill had sat with a swish of his cape, making his father smile.

"What can I do for Gringotts, Mr. Cursebreaker?" Arthur asked teasingly.

Bill hesitated, and his smile faded. He slowly told Arthur about Tom's visit and their ‘lunch'. He didn't tell Arthur much about the spell, other than it had stumped Dumbledore - so he must be aware of it. He'd faltered when telling what Tom had said about Neville. But Arthur had merely leaned back a pensive look on his face.

"You believe him, don't you, dad?" Bill asked, although he knew Arthur would have looked angry if he had doubted the tale.

"Oh, I believe it, although I'm not sure how he came by the knowledge." He waved a hand, indicating he really didn't want to know. "Molly and I were acquainted with Algernon Longbottom in the past - I would guess that he sees Neville as the only obstacle in the path between him and the rest of the Longbottom money." Arthur looked at Bill's shocked face. "Augusta is likely blind to any of that, but hopefully now that Neville is proven to not be a squib, she can be persuaded to be more protective."

"I can't believe you would have to talk a grandmother into protecting their grandchild." Bill answered faintly.

"Well, Molly has already asked to have Neville over to study with Ron and Ginny, so I can drop a few hints to her and we'll see to it that ‘Algie' behaves himself. If he knows he's being watched - especially by Molly - he'll not risk her wrath, again." Arthur reminisced a bit about Molly blacking Algie's eye when he'd tried to be overly friendly at a Hogwarts dance.

Bill nodded and made his way to his flat in Diagon Alley. It was small, but he liked it. The quiet was welcome after the noisy days at Gringotts. Now and then he missed the constant noise of the burrow, but if he missed it too much he just apparated in for a dinner with the family.

He penned a quick note to Tom, telling him that Arthur was taking care of things with Neville and sent it off with his owl, and then collapsed into bed. He gave thanks for a brief moment that he'd never had to worry about a homicidal uncle and shook his head.

He was surprised that Tom had come across the information. A definite puzzle, that. And Bill could never resist a puzzle.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Tom watched Dudley and Harry trim the Christmas tree after the Malfoys, Dora and Rosemerta had left. Night came early and the lights were glowing softly. Petunia was busy with needlework and Tom was sipping the eggnog. A rather peaceful evening, Tom thought.

The boys ran and brought down presents to put under the tree to complete the picture and muttered that there would be more when they finished the other presents up.

"It all looks very pretty, dears." Petunia said.

"Very nice." Tom agreed, though he had little experience with it all. The orphanage had whatever tree they could get and the trimming had been home-made by the children. It had looked nothing like this. He'd stayed at Hogwarts during the holidays, once in school. The trees there had been huge and spectacular, but they had not been homey, like this one.

Harry sat beside Tom, companionably. They both gazed at the tree, both a bit awestruck. Tom realized that Harry had likely not taken part in much of the usual Christmas celebrations before this, either. Tom fought down a bit of resentment toward Petunia and Dudley. The boy was not to blame, and Petunia had been unable to fight her husband on matters, most likely.

Tom smiled at Harry, and got a beaming grin in return. "Merry Christmas, Tom."

"And to you, Harry." Tom returned, and felt a curl of warmth around his heart.

"I'd like you to meet the ‘Christmas Spirit, Tom." Yvane said. "That is what you're feeling, you know."

"Oh, hush up and enjoy the tree, Yvane." Tom thought back.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1868