3 Slytherin Marauders by severusphoenix
Summary: Dudley and Harry flee Vernon - to Severus. A different Tom Riddle, Petunia is good. Lucius and Draco are helpful. Albus is a bit misguided. The twins are only a year older than Harry, so I can make them non-Gryffindor.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Fred George, Lucius, Petunia
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 137 Completed: No Word count: 545745 Read: 724978 Published: 28 Jun 2009 Updated: 28 Sep 2014
Crystal Hunting by severusphoenix

Professor McGonagall arrived at the Longbottom Manor early on New Years Eve. The last day of the year, she mused. She hoped to have Neville's situation bettered before the day was out. Molly had alerted her that Neville was spending the day with them and she had heard that ‘Uncle Algie' was with friends for a few days for a ‘house party'.

Minerva did prefer to confront Augusta alone, at first. She'd spoken to some of her family, with promises of silence on the matter and they'd been furious with Augusta and Algie. Some of her sons and grandsons were ‘acquainted' with him and all agreed he was quite capable of arranging an ‘accident' for his nephew.

Molly had also contacted Enid Higgs - Augusta's sister-in-law, and therefore Neville's great-aunt. Molly had been frank with why she was contacting her and laid out what she knew, though she didn't say how the facts had become known. Molly said that Minerva was intending to confront the Longbottom matriarch, but if unsuccessful, they hoped Enid would intervene.

Enid had visited Minerva immediately after receiving the letter, looking pale and old as she clutched the letter in one hand.

"I saw what Algie was doing - we used to visit quite often, with my grandchildren..." The old witch trailed off. "I couldn't watch anymore, he constantly belittled Neville - and the children were starting to follow his lead. I couldn't let him turn my grandchildren into bullying little monsters like himself. I tried to tell them it was wrong, but it was hard to fight him ... he can be quite charming when he wishes. The children are older, now and I've been able to show them how wrong Algie is."

"Algernon always was a bounder and a cad." Minerva sneered. "I always wondered how he managed to get into Hufflepuff. It's a wonder he didn't become friends with Barty Jr. and take to torturing people." Minerva hissed at remembering the notorious Hufflepuff Death Eater.

Enid's shoulder slumped. It was so discouraging to have Augusta still catering to her malevolent younger son. "I admit that I gave up after Algie dropped Neville off that pier ... he laughed while we all ran about it a panic rescuing him. He insisted he was just trying to help Neville ‘find his magic'. I tried to reason with Augusta - but she just kept saying that ‘at least Algie was trying to help Neville'." Enid sighed and rubbed her head. "She'll never admit Algie is capable of deliberately killing Neville.

Minerva shook off the remembrance. Enid eventually agreed to help in whatever way Minerva felt necessary if Augusta couldn't be reasoned with.

Augusta finally bustled in and served tea and there was some small talk. Minerva eventually brought up Neville, and went straight to the point. "Neville says Algie hung him out a fourth story window and dropped him, to ‘force his magic out'. He seemed to think this normal and apparently a nearly everyday occurrence." Minerva's eyes locked with Augusta's.

Augusta's hand froze in place, teacup halfway to her mouth. Her eye's held brief dismay and a little guilt. She knew others just wouldn't understand that it was necessary. She'd heard all the arguments that forcing accidental magic to occur was cruel and actually destructive to a young wizards magic, but she didn't believe it. Accidental magic happened anyway - if a child had magic. How could precipitating an occurrence be harmful? And she had needed to know that Neville had magic.

Augusta cleared her throat and said defiantly, "Well, it worked, didn't it? He has access to his magic, now."

"He always had his magic, Augusta, and what if it hadn't manifested - what a horrible death for your only grandson - being dashed to death on the courtyard stones." Minerva gave Augusta a sickened look. "Accidental magic does not always happen - children who have shown prior accidental manifestations still sometimes die from other accidents." Minerva looked at Augusta in frustration. "Did you really prefer a dead grandson to a magicless one?"

Augusta looked at Minerva in shock, and to her own dismay found she could not immediately answer her. Then she shook her head. "Of course not, Minerva. I love Neville ... I just worry ... what will happen to him if he's not strong magically? - look at where his parents ended up."

Minerva choked back an unsympathetic retort as well as a few obscenities - she had noted Augusta's hesitation over the question ... unfortunately so had Neville. He'd fallen on some ice at the Weasley's and had twisted his ankle. His insistence on returning to Longbottom Manor had troubled Molly, but she had finally relented.

Neville had heard most of the discussion, and his grandmother's hesitation when asked that final question. His anger had flared up, along with bitterness churning in his stomach. He hadn't deserved to be hung out that window, and he knew how horrible his death would have been - that long drop to the stones still haunted his nightmares. Surviving the drop to hear his grandmother thanking Algie had fueled his hatred for Algie - hearing Augusta hesitate over whether she would have wanted him dead or not if he'd been a squib now ignited an equal hate for her.

He fought down his fury and walked back to the floo in the atrium. He needed to cover the fact he'd overheard them. He'd act as normal as possible, and then go talk to Callidora - she cared about him and understood him even if she was only a portrait - she would know what to do about his relatives.

He loudly stomped through the hall, even though his ankle still twinged painfully. "Hello? Grandmother?" He called out, hoping his voice didn't reflect his anguished fury.

"In here, Neville." Augusta called to him in relief. The visit was going badly and Augusta didn't know how to salvage it. Minerva was glaring at her in outrage and she guiltily acknowledged that it was likely justified. She hadn't realized how her actions - and inactions looked to others. Her hesitation at Minerva's question had stunned her.

True a squib grandson would have been disastrous, as far as she was concerned; but she wouldn't have wanted him ... dead!

Augusta introduced Neville to Minerva. "I don't think you've seen her since you were a toddler, but Professor McGonagall was your parents Head of House."

Minerva mustered a smile from somewhere and concentrated on Neville. She would need to have Enid and Molly watch him carefully. Hopefully the knowledge that others knew of their misdeeds would keep Algie from trying anything else - and Augusta would hopefully also keep watch. Augusta wouldn't want others taking things to the next level and calling in the Aurors to investigate - she likely wouldn't lose custody, but the inquiry would be devastating to her good name.

"Hello Neville, I'm afraid I'm late for Christmas - but I brought a New Year's gift for you." Minerva brought out a magazine and unshrank it. "Your father was a fine Herbology student - in better times I believe he would have followed his father's footsteps and run the Greenhouses you own. His NEWT essay on firerose vine was actually put in the Herbology monthly magazine and given wonderful reviews. I heard you are also interested in plants. I brought a copy of the magazine that has your father's essay."

Neville forgot his anger and hurried forward to take the magazine. An article of his father's ... he'd no idea that his father had been that good at Herbology. All he'd heard was about his and his mum's exploits as Aurors, and Grandmother had always seemed to emphasize his mum's accomplishments. "Thank You, Professor." Neville said sincerely.

Minerva smiled at him, and glanced at Augusta, who was looking at Neville peculiarly. She was surprised at Neville's obvious eagerness at receiving the Herbology magazine. She'd not really thought about what magical talent Neville might have - she'd been too surprised that he had any magic at all.

Augusta's initial reaction was to sneer that Neville would be an Auror like his parents, but then she hesitated. Her son and daughter-in-law had been tortured to madness following fame and glory that way. In spite of everything she didn't want Neville dead and it was likely that Algie was correct - he likely had low levels of magic. Urging him to be an Auror would be madness. The family had made their fortune in Herbology and Greenhouses - letting him follow that and add to the fortunes would be acceptable.

Minerva stood to leave and Augusta felt she should make at least some attempt to recoup at least a little of the visit. "Minerva, I understand your concern ... and I assure you Neville will be safe at his own home ... I realize how it all must look ..."

Minerva looked at Augusta closely. She appeared to be aware that Neville's situation would be closely watched from now on. Minerva managed a tight smile and a short nod before leaving.

Neville muttered about reading the article and ran to Callidora's room, leaving Augusta alone with her tea and thoughts.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Severus didn't usually take great care with his appearance. Since seeing Rosemerta he'd ensured his teeth were white - or nearly white and even had gotten them straighter - not a Witch Weekly smile, but okay. His hair was always clean before he saw her, and with Harry around he took even greater care with it - showering after brewing more often than not. He'd spent more time outside the past summer than he'd ever done and he still hadn't gone back to the paleness he usually had. He looked at his stained fingers and sighed. He had gotten them less stained, but not completely stain - free.

He glared at the mirror, he would have to make do with what he had available in good points. He was wearing a very dark green robe trimmed in silver. His hair had gotten just long enough to gather in a tail with a silver band. Harry had noticed his hair getting longer and Harry had gifted him with several fancy silver hair bands at Christmas.

He could hear Harry and Dudley laughing over their robes and trying to get their hair in order. He could also hear Petunia fussing - Tom had asked for help with cufflinks. Tom was nervous - he'd asked Nymphadora to Lucius' party and was now in a sweat to look nice for her. Petunia had nearly given Tom a nervous breakdown by mentioning that he should get her a nice corsage. Severus had conjured an orchid arrangement for him and saved the day.

The floo sounded and he heard Rosemerta and Dora's voices. Andy and Ted would also be attending - but would arrive from their own floo straight to Malfoy Manor. Severus picked up his own conjured corsage. Rosemerta was wearing a silvery dress, so dark blue roses that sparkled just a little would work well, he felt.

Severus took a deep breath and made his way downstairs to join the group. Rosemerta smiled happily and admired the roses as he pinned them carefully on. Tom came down and gulped unhappily at Dora's strapless gown as he realized there was no way to pin the corsage on her without reaching down the front of her dress.

Dora grinned and said perhaps she could wear the silvery orchids in her hair. "They will go nicely with any color my hair goes into." Tom sighed in relief and helped her arrange the flowers into her hair. Dora was wearing the bracelet he had given her and this lightened his heart considerably.

They were soon all portkeying into Lucius' receiving room and house-elves took their cloaks. The party was underway, though Severus noticed it wasn't the overcrowded crush that Narcissa always planned. Lucius appropriated Petunia and led her to meet several people - "They interested in buying houses in Spinner's End", he whispered conspiratorially. Petunia laughed and patted his arm, causing many marriageable young witches to clench their teeth in frustration.

Tom and Dora took to the dance floor. One of the few things Tom had learned in his former life was how to dance, and luckily the musicians were playing music he knew.

The guests were a mixed bag of curious former supporters of Voldemort - some of them eager to follow Lucius away from him, others doing so because the felt Lucius likely would know who the winner of the coming conflict was likely to be. They were mixing with nervous looking light families and muggleborns that Albus had talked into attending ‘to encourage them to turn from the dark'. There were also ministry workers that Lucius planned to cultivate, now, and of course the obliviously jovial Cornelius Fudge.

Harry dutifully let the Minister fuss over him a bit and introduce him to some equally pompous politicians. He smiled for the camera and answered that, yes; he'd had a spectacular Christmas. He escaped fairly quickly after that and found Draco and a snickering Dudley at the edge of the crowd.

The three boys soon found the few others in their age group in the game room. Draco introduced Theo Nott to Harry and Dudley with a flourish. Theo was a shy looking, dark haired boy who seem happy to meet Harry and Dudley. Pansy was also introduced. She was cooler in her greeting than Theo, and watched them closely even after returning to the card game she and some other girls were playing.

Dudley, Draco, Harry and Theo soon settled down to play wizard snooker. Dudley and Harry said they didn't know anything about the game, causing Theo to grin and ask if they had brought their Gringotts keys - he'd be happy to play 5 galleons a game with them. Draco swatted his arm and said the only ones allowed to hustle at Malfoy Manor were the Malfoys.

Dudley and Harry were soon taking Snooker lessons until midnight was getting close. Some other boys wandered over and engaged them in conversation, clearly curious about them. Harry and Dudley answered questions patiently, but were glad to meet some future Hogwarts students.

The four boys trailed into the ballroom just before midnight and then followed the adults out onto the large stone balcony overlooking the gardens. There was soon hushed anticipation as the countdown to the New Year started.

Severus pulled Rosemerta into a handy alcove as everyone else went to the balcony and quickly warded it. Severus hesitantly pulled out a small box and opened it to reveal a rather ring with a large diamond. Rosemerta's breath caught as he knelt on one knee.

"I love you very much, Rosemerta. Will you marry me?" Severus had tried to remember the lengthy, compliment - ridden proposal he'd thought out, but it had escaped him once he pulled the ring out.

Rosemerta squealed happily and pulled him into an embrace, grabbed the ring and kiss him heartily.

Severus stumbled to his feet in confusion. "Is that a yes?" He asked hopefully.

Rosemerta laughed happily and chanted. "Yes, yes...yes." Punctuating each yes with a kiss. "Here, put the ring on me." Severus happily complied, and kissed her hand for good measure in relief at her affirmative answer.

"I don't know when we can actually do the wedding ..." Severus began hesitantly, only to have Rosemerta place a finger on his lips.

"I know there are things in the works that have to take precedence because they involve Harry's safety - as well as Tom's and Dudley's. I would never expect you to ignore that." She gave him a mischievous smile. "Besides, it took half a dozen years to get the ring ... I have to pace myself."

Severus chuckled in concurrence. "We'll know when it's the right time, I suppose." Rosemerta nodded happily in agreement.

They made it to the balcony as the group was chanting "10...9...8..." Petunia glanced over at the radiant Rosemerta and she raised her left hand, making Petunia light up and direct Lucius' attention to them. Lucius noticed the ring immediately and smiled in congratulations at his old friend. The countdown reached one and happy yelling erupted along with the fireworks.

Lucius acted on his little plan and pulled Petunia into an embrace and kissed her. Petunia was surprised ... but curious as well. Lucius was attractive and it was flattering to be receiving attention from him. The kiss was nice, and there seemed to be a spark there, enough to make Lucius wonder if there was hope for more. The kiss ended and they both looked a bit intrigued.

"Happy New Year, Lucius." Petunia said, hoping to regain a little poise.

"Happy New Year, Petunia...I admit I hoped to start a new relationship as well." Lucius smiled a bit sourly.

"I also hoped to feel more than friendship in the kiss." Petunia added with a sigh. "Perhaps we should look into it further?" Smiling at Lucius' agreeable smirk.

"You would make an excellent mother for Draco." Lucius muttered, and then stiffened in horror as Petunia's eyes filled with tears. He started to stutter an apology, but was interrupted.

"That's the sweetest compliment you could ever give me, Lucius - I know you put him first in a lot of things ... as well you should" Petunia beamed at him.

Lucius was greatly relieved and grabbed a pair of champagne flutes as a house elf wandered by and offered her one. "To very good friends?" Lucius said, lifting the glass, the unspoken ‘and maybe more' hung between them. Severus and Rosemerta joined them at that point and all four clinked glasses together.

"To very good friends." They all chimed together.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

The New Year started out quite well. The announcement that Professor Snape was now engaged to Madame Rosemerta Christie was greeted with an almost universal sigh of relief in the wizarding world. This, after all, meant there would be a female presence in ‘The Boy Who Lived's' life and Rosemerta's performance on Christmas Eve in facing ‘the madman' had convinced most she was up to the job.

Severus returned to Hogwarts and wore the ‘coffee' T-shirt as promised and the twins got some excellent pictures of people running into walls while gaping at it as well as one of a cauldron exploding while its owner was staring in disbelief at the Potions Master, which they sent to Harry and Dudley.

Life settled back to lessons with Dora for the boys, with Tom studying as well as researching Yvane's memories. Rosemerta visited more often, helping Petunia with the Spinner's End project. Severus taught and continued to pile responsibility on his new student assistants and House duties on Sinistra. He suspected he would soon not have enough time for everything.

Remus convinced several werewolves to move into the warehouse and renovations began. The Order safehouses would be done by summer and he had resolved to move to the warehouse, himself. Albus had offered him the house he was in at Hogsmeade, but it was too resoundingly empty. So, Albus put him in charge of the warehouse and made sure it was known that it was ‘Remus' Refuge'.

Valentine's Day went well, Tom and Dora escaping to a fancy restaurant and Severus managing to make it to the Three Broomsticks for the evening. Lucius and Draco joined the Dragonsrest family for an excellent meal and had brought some chocolates for Petunia. They were taking it slow - continuing to talk and learn about each other.

Spring break was just around the corner, when Lucius made a discovery. He had been teaching the boys about runes whenever he was needed to fill in on a class, and he had often pointed out the runes on the map Harry had bought Severus while in Madrid. Lucius had finally cracked the code and was now explaining the meaning of the runes.

"The map is really one that shows where there were mines for various precious gems in that century. Gem mines often resonate with magic - after all many gems are able to gather and store magic or hold spells - so old mines are often prized by wizards as places to build homes over, as they will have access to leftover power stored there - even if the gems themselves are gone." Lucius explained.

Lucius traced over the symbols with a finger. "There is even one of the old mines close by here. You see - right here there was a mine that produced a number of high quality quartz crystals as well as other gems - I believe it is still in operation - though at a lower level. It is on the River Cyche in Dyfed, West Wales."

There were immediate pleas to go see it for themselves. Lucius thought a bit, he was interested in the mine himself as he'd never seen a gem mine - even a small one - in operation. "I'll look into it - but be patient. I have to have their permission."

In spite of that, the boys dug into books on gems, mines and the River Cyche. The area was apparently thick with old lore - the upper river is rumored to be a gateway to the fae kingdom and the lower river was where King Arthur had hunted the white hart.

Lucius made his inquiries and had permission from the small group of wizards who ran the mine within a few days. They weren't overly impressed by Lucius' name dropping that Harry Potter was in the group, but it was only three boys and Lucius, so the money he'd offered to get a tour was welcomed and permission given.

The tour was set for the day after Severus arrived home for the break. Severus and Tom intended to go over clues to the next Horcrux with Albus Dumbledore. Albus had memories and clues he wanted Severus to see, and Tom wanted to be their.

Harry was a bit disappointed that Severus wouldn't be with them, but he knew the hunt for the Horcruxes was important, so he resolved to find a really brilliant crystal to bring home to his dad. The quartet of wizards flooed to the Mine, arriving in a very nice office area and were greeted by a pleasant looking young witch. She assured them they were expected and took them through a short tour of their small shop with already cut or mounted stones.

"Our main business it to provide raw stone for the use of wizards and witches who need focus stones or crystals for their magical use. We do have some artisans that make jewelry from the crystals or facet them or polish them for use by others." She let the boys wander around the room looking at the stones on display. She'd been impressed by how quiet and attentive the boys were, she'd been afraid the visitors would be loud spoiled hooligans when she'd heard who was visiting.

The guide arrived - a burly man that reminded Harry of a better-toned Uncle Vernon, though his voice was much more polite. He waved the group to join them and gave a brief but interesting history of the mine. It had been hidden from non - magical people for centuries. But it had been in operation even longer - back even before the time of the founders the mines had been producing gems and crystals. For a time muggles and wizards had worked together, back in long distant days, though they had gradually grown apart after the time of the crusades and as Hogwarts was built and suspicion of those practicing magic grew.

"We still sold some gems to the muggles, even after the separation, of course and the trade for crystals to muggles has grown over the last few decades." The guide blathered on about the kind of crystals and gems they mined for as they entered the tunnels. Lucius and the guide cast some strong Lumos', filling the tunnels with light. "I'll take you down a tunnel we're working - let you see a few crystals being dug. We can't just blast ‘em out - hurts the magic you see. We have to take them out gently with as little damage physically as we can manage. Most of the magically damaged gems and crystals get sold to the muggle world."

They soon found the workers carefully unearthing crystals from the walls of the tunnel. The boys watched in rapt attention as a young girl finished removing a large purple crystal of amethyst as big as her hand from the wall.

"Wow!" The three gasped, almost in unison, making the girl and the guide smile at their awe.

"You can carefully look for gems for a time while I oversee you, if you wish." The guide held out whisk brooms and small picks. "Remember to be careful not to damage them - if you find any."

The boys eagerly took the tools and set to work, under the guide's watchful eye. Lucius amused himself talking to a supervisor about the possibility of a shop at his Spinner's End project selling some of the crystals. The store could sell to muggles as well as wizards - keeping suspicion down, as a crystal shop would fit in with the ‘artist community' story.

Draco yelped in excitement, having spotted a glimpse of blue, the guide hovered and talked Draco through the extrication of the stone. At last Draco held up a mottled blue rock in triumph and the nearby miners cheered and clapped.

"A very nice Blue Lace Agate - they are supposed to assist with psychic vision and achieving tranquility. It's quite calming - you have a nice size stone that can be polished into a sphere to hold while meditating." The guide grinned at Draco's beaming smile. "We find that visitors who look for stones often find ones they most need - likely they are drawn to them."

Dudley came across a small orange agate - just right for a more masculine necklace. He was pleased it was a stone for courage. Harry, however had found none after an hour or so, and the boys were ready for some lunch. They all thanked the miners for sharing space and waved goodbye.

They went to the Mine shop first, to arrange for Draco's Agate to be polished and turned into a sphere and Dudley's to be made into a necklace. Harry resigned himself to buying a gem for his dad, but had a time deciding between Hematite, Onyx or Jet.

Lucius snickered - "Yes, deciding between very black, shiny black and absolutely black for Severus."

Harry laughed, flushing a little - "But the qualities of each stone are different, that's the problem." Dudley then held up a paperweight size stone of black with white snowflake patterns on it for Harry to see. Harry was fascinated and quickly looked up its qualities. "Snowflake obsidian - for balance - I think he'd like it." Harry happily paid for the stone and Lucius pocketed it and arranged for the agates to be delivered when done.

The guide and a couple of wizards who owned the mine showed them to the small pub nearby to eat. They were interested in Lucius' proposal and wanted to talk a bit more with him. The boys stuffed themselves and felt ready for more adventure, but Lucius wasn't quite through talking. The waiter suggested some of the walking trails in the nearby wood.

"They're well marked and quite safe - as long as they don't stray from the path." The waiter held out a map and Lucius considered the idea and the three boy's eager faces. He relented after casting some tracking and alarm spells on them, so he would know if they were in danger.

The trio was soon tromping down the trail, talking about the legend of King Arthur and the white hart. "There are still stags in these woods, and sometimes there is a white one - its good luck to see one, according to the books." Draco grinned, still in good spirits at having found the stone. They did see a herd of deer in a glade below them, as the trail was steadily going uphill, but no white stags were with them. They reached the top of the trail at an overlook with a spectacular view of the river Cyche.

The boys looked out over the forest with interest, and Harry felt the breeze - making him wish he had a broom with him to fly. The early spring day was perfect for it, and the river below - he bet he could snag a fish right out of the water. He shook his head, wondering what made him think of that.

As he looked down a glint in the rocks caught his eye, making his heart beat faster - a crystal! He knew he was meant to find that stone - why else would they have come here except he was meant to see it?

"Look Draco, Dudley - I've found my stone. Help me lean over and get it." Harry stretched out on the ground and leaned over the edge of the bluff. Dudley and Draco held his legs and Harry hung even further over, trying to grasp the crystal. Harry was finally hanging over with just his legs still on the trail and grabbed the crystal - managing to wiggle the crystal loose. It was a large crystal - as long as his wand and so thick he could barely reach around it. He got it loose and handed it up to Dudley who put it in his shirt.

Then disaster struck, and the bluff's edge crumpled, abruptly causing him to slide over the edge, Dudley and Draco screaming and clutching at him desperately. The mountainside crumbled and the ground under them slid further, throwing Dudley forward to smack his head on a rock, stunning him. Luckily the rock prevented Dudley from falling over the side - but all Harry's weight abruptly fell on Draco.

Draco had grabbed a tree for an anchor but the sudden weight of Harry yanked his other arm hard and Draco felt his shoulder pull out of his socket. The searing pain made him scream and his hand lost all strength and feeling - letting Harry go. Draco screamed in horror - chiming in with Harry's own howl of terror.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Lucius had tied up the deal with the miners and was sipping the last of the almost acceptable tea when the alarm spell shrilled loudly. He lunged to his feet, heart dropping in fear. The tracking charm would allow him to apparate to their side, luckily. He barked an order to the waiter, and heard him run out the door yelling that the young boys were in trouble on the ‘White Hart Trail'.

Lucius apparated swiftly and found himself on a cliff beside a barely conscious Dudley and a pale with shock Draco who was clutching his clearly dislocated arm. Lucius looked around. "Where is Harry?" He asked in dread.

Draco looked out over the cliff edge, making Lucius' blood freeze - they were very high up. "He fell over the cliff - I could hear him screaming as he fell - then he suddenly wasn't there - a bird was there and it flew off." Draco answered in stupefied awe.

Lucius closed his eyes in dread, an animagus transformation then - done in the fear of the moment. At least Harry wasn't dead, then. But an unexpected transformation would be problematic - Harry wasn't prepared for this in the slightest, and now he was alone.

The miners charged up the hill and Lucius explained the problem. A miner with some healing experience fixed Draco's shoulder, but shook his head over Dudley's concussion. "Yeah need a real healer for that."

Lucius asked the guide to assist Dudley and Draco in flooing to Dragonsrest and alerting Severus. Lucius borrowed a broom from one of the miners, and turned to Draco - taking in his misery. "We'll find him, Draco. I'm sure he'll be fine. Do you recall what kind of bird he turned into?"

Draco tried to describe it. "Some kind of raptor - but not one I've seen before."

Lucius nodded and he and a couple of miners with brooms took off to the forest below, hoping to catch sight of the animagus.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1868