3 Slytherin Marauders by severusphoenix
Summary: Dudley and Harry flee Vernon - to Severus. A different Tom Riddle, Petunia is good. Lucius and Draco are helpful. Albus is a bit misguided. The twins are only a year older than Harry, so I can make them non-Gryffindor.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Fred George, Lucius, Petunia
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 137 Completed: No Word count: 545745 Read: 725005 Published: 28 Jun 2009 Updated: 28 Sep 2014
The Inquiry by severusphoenix

Rufus strode through the hallways of the ministry, Dolores at his heels. Soon all this nonsense of Death Eaters taking care of the ‘Boy Who Lived' would be at an end. They needed to find someone reputable to take guardianship of the boy - Dolores said that she knew of someone. Rufus simply didn't have time. Tutors could be arranged for him, later. Rufus certainly wasn't going to entrust Harry Potter to Albus Dumbledore - not when he'd been willing to leave the boy with muggles and then Snape of all people.

They had arranged for the inquiry to be first on the docket. They strode into the room, expecting to only see Professor Snape and Harry Potter before the Wizengamot. Instead there were dozens milling around, talking in hushed tones. The Tonks, Minerva McGonagall, all the Dragonsrest occupants, Yuan, Rigel Blackpool along with several dragonriders, Several from Norris Accounting, a brace of lawyers accompanying Angus, Rosemerta and Renee, several red heads announced the presence of Weasleys, and of course ... the Malfoys.

And those were the ones Rufus and Dolores could see.

As they got further into the room they realized there were a fair number of reporters in attendance.

Damn, they'd hoped to keep this under wraps and then release a short statement later. None the less Rufus walked forward and the other occupants took seats on the benches surrounding the floor. The Wizengamot - with Hugo and Cornelius flanking Albus looked at Rufus sternly. Head of the Wizengamot Albus Dumbledore banged for silence and picked up a parchment.

"It seems the first order of business is regarding one Harry Potter's transformation into his animagus for in an area that may have contained muggles and him not being registered." Albus let his eyebrows rise and he looked at Rufus sternly. Whispers broke out in the Wizengamot and around the courtroom. "Very well, Rufus - did any muggles in fact see Harry?"

Surprised, Rufus answered, "No, apparently none did, but..."

"As it was his first transformation, done accidentally, I assume he couldn't have registered." Albus turned to Severus. "Has Harry learned to control his transformation, so he can register, Professor Snape?"

Severus stood and moved forward onto the courtroom floor. "No Sir, he has not. Professor McGonagall intends to tutor him a bit over the summer, but she does not believe he will be able to master it right away."

"Nonsense." Rufus broke in, "There is no way Mr. Potter transformed in that manner without prior instruction...making him obviously irresponsible and negligent as a guardian." Rufus was flustered at Albus taking charge of the inquiry and went straight to the point.

Albus gave Rufus a harsh look. "You will not interrupt, Auror Scrimgeour." He turned to Severus. "Has Mr. Potter been receiving instruction, Professor Snape?"

"Absolutely not." Severus said emphatically.

Rufus snorted in derision. "The boy could be studying on his own - even more irresponsibility on your part, Professor Snape."

Albus banged for order, "Well if that is all you're worried about, we can clear that up right now. Harry would you come forward?" Albus smiled at Harry who walked forward slowly to stand beside Severus. He was not happy with any of this.

Rufus realized things were not going according to plan and interrupted. "I don't believe you are exactly impartial in this proceedings...I don't think you should be doing the questioning." The courtroom was abruptly quiet at Rufus' challenge to Head of the Wizengamot Albus Dumbledore.

Albus, though just raised an eyebrow, "Do you have any objections to Minister Fudge doing so?" Rufus did, of course, but didn't feel up to challenging the Minister for Magic as well.

"Very well, then, Hugo - would you cast a truth spell?" Albus asked, to Rufus' astonishment, causing the rest of the Wizengamot to murmur in surprise.

Hugo leaned out over the barrier, "Now, lad, this spell will create an aura around you - it won't force you to speak, it will just tell us if you are lying, alright?" Harry nodded nervously, his left hand twitching in the sling. Hugo cast a spell and a clear cloud of blue outlined Harry.

"Perhaps Professor Snape should have a seat?" Rufus hissed in irritation.

Harry looked alarmed at that, causing several Wizengamot members to frown. They were all already disturbed by a clear over-reaction to a simple mishap of magic.

"Nonsense, Rufus..." Griselda Marchbanks said irritably. "This is ridiculous - if you're going to waste our time, at least let the lad be comfortable." She waved her wand and a chair appeared. "Have a seat, boy. Your guardian can stay by you, of course." She glared at Rufus; really it was just a boy, not a dark wizard.

"Now then Harry, has your guardian or anyone else taught you how to become an animagus?" Cornelius asked kindly.

"No sir, never." Harry said emphatically. This made Rufus frown and shuffle his feet a bit, the boy surely had studied all on his own?

"Did you study to become an animagus on your own?" Cornelius echoed Rufus' thoughts.

"I did read the book ‘Animal adventures' - it has a bunch of stories about animaguses." Harry said, "And I read part of the book ‘Finding your animal' - the first chapter was good, after that I didn't really understand it and just leafed through it." Harry answered earnestly.

"Have you tried to change on your own?" Cornelius asked.

"No, sir." Harry answered, the blue cloud never wavering at any time.

"Do you intend to try on your own?" Rufus broke in, annoying the Minister.

"NO!" Harry answered, a bit horrified, causing concerned looks from some of the Wizengamot.

"What would your punishment be if you did?" Amelia Bones asked carefully.

Harry intoned his answer in his best imitation ‘Snape' voice. "If I you do anything so monumentally idiotic you can forget any Nimbus 2000's being in your future for quite some time young man..." Harry's answer was met with laughter from the courtroom and a sour grimace from his guardian.

This left Rufus stupefied - it meant that Harry was far more powerful than he had thought - and he definitely should not stay in the hands of dark wizards, to be twisted and turned into a menace.

"If he did transform on his own, his magic must have felt in great danger, indeed - how do we know that it wasn't Lucius Malfoy or the other children who had endangered him?" Rufus demanded, causing generalized gasps from everyone.

"That is an irresponsible and baseless accusation, Rufus." Amelia Bones barked. But the conspirators had been prepared for any accusation.

Lucius stood, drawing attention. "My son is perfectly willing to submit his memory of the incident to the court pensieve. It will give a better view than Harry's, as Harry was hanging over a cliff, after all."

Rufus gaped a little at the offer, but Amelia Bones said, "Excellent." Draco and Lucius came forward as the huge court pensieve slid across to the center. The spectators and reporters leaned forward to watch, along with the Wizengamot. Hugo came down to the floor and took the memory, himself. He instructed Draco in a low murmur and dropped the shiny strand into the pool.

The scene played out above the pensieve for all to see - showing the boys eating and hearing of the trails from the waiter, Lucius casting the tracking and alarm spells, the walk up the trail to the cliff, and Harry spotting the crystal. The watchers with adventurous children of their own groaned a bit, seeing clear disaster ahead. They gasped in unison as Harry started to fall and watched the boy's desperate attempts to save Harry, wincing as their injuries occurred. More gasps were heard at the end with watching Harry falling and transforming. The memory finally ended with Lucius' appearance at the scene.

Hugo replaced Draco's memory during the fraught silence after the memory ended. "Well, Rufus, are you satisfied that it was a childish accident?" Cornelius asked acerbically.

Rufus nodded, giving it all up as a bad job - Since the boy had obviously spontaneously changed, and therefore the Wizengamot would never see Snape as a poor guardian as a result of reckless training. Unfortunately Dolores was undeterred.

"You can't leave the poor boy with such an unsuitable guardian, surely? He's a mere half-blood without the proper societal ties" Dolores spoke at last. "Harry Potter is a symbol to the wizarding world and needs to learn to set a proper example..."

Albus banged the gavel for silence, looking angry, and Dolores noticed that most of the courtroom was glaring - she tended to forget that using the term half-blood in a contemptuous tone could offend people. Snape, however was giving her a half-smile, as if she'd said something amusing.

"Harry Potter is a boy, like any other, that needs a guardian who will care for him as he needs. Professor Snapes blood status is not relevant." There was cheering from the gallery at that, cowing Dolores a bit as she remembered belatedly that Albus Dumbledore was also a half-blood.

"Snape likely just wants the boy's money and to better himself through association." Dolores shouted, trying to reassert her claim. People in the gallery looked uncertain, at that and the Wizengamot frowned - mention of money always made people unsure of others motives.

The accountant from Norris accounting stood and introduced himself. "I can assure you that Professor Snape has not taken a single knut from Harry's vaults since he took guardianship, and he provides for him out of his own vault - the only money withdrawn was by Harry, himself, to buy Christmas presents with." He sat in triumph, feeling good that he had vindicated Severus on that score, at least.

"He can't possibly be receiving the schooling he should..." Dolores was beginning to sound desperate, and Rufus was slowly stepping away from her, wishing she would shut up, already.

Dora bounced to her feet, "It just so happens that I am tutoring Harry and Dudley and Draco...I graduated with eight O's and three E's on my NEWTS and I'll be starting Auror training this summer - I can assure you they receive excellent instruction." Dora's hair was flashing angrily between orange and yellow, making several people blink in amazement.

Minerva stood once Dora sat, "I can promise you that I will be assisting Mr. Potter to control his animagus abilities - and when he is ready - which will not be for years, most likely - he will register as an animagus. You needn't worry on that score Madame Umbridge." The Wizengamot nodded, satisfied - Minerva's knowledge on the subject was well known.

Dolores Umbridge scowled uncertainly, "But Mr. Potter should be under Ministry control ... for his own safety..." She trailed off as Angus Essex rose and came forward, holding a rather familiar looking parchment.

"I think, Madame Umbridge, that this whole ‘inquiry' has been a ruse for you to try exactly that - for you to gain control of Harry Potter. Otherwise I don't believe you would have already applied for guardianship of him, yourself." Angus waved the parchment up to the Wizengamot for them to pass around.

Rufus shook his head - the silly bint wasn't supposed to file until Snape's guardianship had been canceled and she certainly shouldn't have thought she could be his guardian, herself. Dolores was apparently more ambitious than he had thought.

Amelia Bones and Griselda Marchbanks were livid. "You trumped all this up to gain guardianship? Did Rufus know about this?" They looked slightly mollified by her negative shake of the head.

Cornelius shot sparks off from his wand, gaining control of the uproar. "I think we can safely say this inquiry is at an end - with no wrongdoing found ... anyone not in agreement?" Not a sound was heard. "Very well, Harry - Severus, you may go ... Madame Umbridge - I suggest you pack your desk, you are dismissed herewith from Ministry service." The Minister looked at Rufus with a frown. "I believe Madame Bones will be speaking with you, Rufus."

Rufus nodded silently and walked out the nearest door to return to his office, the outcome of the inquiry had definitely not gone as planned.

The reporters raced to the floos, feverishly planning headlines.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Hugo and Amelia wandered the halls to Rufus Scrimgeour's office silently, neither enjoying the prospect of bearding the lion in his den. The lion had clearly been in the wrong, but still they weren't looking forward to his roar.

They found Rufus sitting at his desk looking grim and took seats in front of him. "A bad job all around, Rufus...whatever were you thinking?" Amelia started with a slow shake of her head.

Rufus' eyes flashed, "I was thinking that the ‘Boy Who Lived', who's parents were murdered by ‘You know who' should not be raised by a Death Eater and pal around with other Death Eaters.

Amelia grimaced sympathetically, "The boy seems happy enough, and they are surrounded by light wizards as well - Andromeda Tonks, Minerva and Albus..."

"I am there quite often as well. Do you really think after all these decades of fighting dark wizards I can't tell when dark magic is in use?" Hugo said positively. "I was confused by events as well, at first. But it has become clear that not even most Death Eaters will welcome ‘He Who Must Not Be Named's' return. Snape turned from him in the last war and was an invaluable spy - we all know this." Hugo watched them nodded reluctantly. "And even if you don't like or trust Lucius Malfoy - and I don't blame you if you don't...you have to admit that robbing the Dark Lord of him and his talents - and money - can only be a good thing. And I can assure you that the suspicions we've harbored are correct - ‘He Who Must Not Be Named' will soon return."

Amelia nodded in resignation . "What use is he if we can't trust him, though? It doesn't seem enough to just say that we've block Lord Thingy from him." Amelia muttered.

"I can tell you that I know of several plans Snape and Malfoy have in the works to make sure that any return of ‘You know who' will be of short duration." Hugo said emphatically. "I know that Lucius and Severus will be given rather lengthy and painful deaths for their actions against him."

"No sign of the Dark Lord was ever found...after all these years - he's just a bogeyman tale to frighten children." Rufus said stubbornly. "However, the Death Eaters will likely find another ‘Lord' to follow, so I expect removing Malfoy from their circle will be best."

Hugo considered arguing further, but he would have to reveal the Horcruxes if he did, and that would send them into a frenzy. While it would be nice to have a more widespread search Death Eaters or Voldemort himself might learn of it and that would be disastrous.

So, Hugo shrugged and said, "Either way, Lucius and Severus in our camp is better that them in another camp...and I assure you no one makes better guardians than an alert and motivated pair of Slytherins." Hugo smiled at Rufus, knowing that reminding Rufus of his own status as a Slytherin would tweak his pride.

"Well, if Hugo's right and there is soon to be an uprising...and we have all seen the signs and heard the whispers...we need to step up our recruitment and training." Amelia said briskly. "Perhaps you should take up the reins there at the Auror Academy, Rufus - it's technically a promotion and it will remove you from the Minister and Wizengamot's sight." Amelia gave him a level look. "You're going to be persona non grata for awhile you know. Especially after your secretaries little display."

Rufus grimaced, yes, Dolores had destroyed her career and had set his own back. Even if overseeing the Auror Academy was technically a promotion - it removed him from the ministry itself.

Hugo and Amelia rose and took their leave. Rufus sat at his desk a long time, wondering whether Harry would end up a strong force against the next Dark Lord - or if he was being groomed to be the next Dark Lord.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

The Malfoys and the Dragonsrest crowd went to the Three Broomsticks for a celebratory meal. Renee had a feast ready to go on their arrival - he'd been certain that the outcome would be a good one. Harry, Draco and Dudley were soon distracted by plans to attend a Quidditch match the next day - and Severus had agreed to go as well.

"It's a Harpies match." Harry grinned eagerly. "And against the Falmouth Falcons - Jennifer the Juggernaut will show them what a real beater is." Harry tore into the stew with a renewed appetite.

"Yeah - they think they're so tough." Draco said. "The Harpies will set them right."

Severus relaxed as he listened to Harry and watched him shoveling in the food. He'd worried that Harry would still be troubled by the inquiry. On Sunday - after telling Harry about the upcoming ‘inquiry' Harry - in spite of saying he understood there was no way Severus would allow him to be taken, even if they had to retreat to the Reserves - had simply refused to eat lunch or supper. He'd pushed the food around his plate and turned a threatening shade of green when Severus had insisted he take even a bite.

Severus had resorted to a nutritional potion for him, but had told Harry it was only for the day - that he wouldn't allow Harry's ‘anorexic tendencies' to continue.

But, now that it was over Harry was back to inhaling the food eagerly, to Severus' relief. And if Harry was back to obsessing over Jennifer and the Harpies, he clearly wasn't worried about any custody problems.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

The Headlines in papers Tuesday morning blared the news that a ministry Auror had been trying to prosecute the poor ‘Boy Who Lived' for accidental magic and a secretary had tried to make a grab for custody. Cornelius had given an impromptu interview, along with a sternly impressive Yuan - both of them insisting that Severus Snape was an exemplary guardian and that the transformation had been accidental magic that was being brought under control by the very best of tutors in the art - Minerva McGonagall.

Rita Skeeter had had the most difficult time. Her articles lately had all been subtly, or unsubtly critical of Severus Snape being Harry's guardian. But this development was more difficult - she couldn't see any way to attack Snape's guardianship without becoming more unpopular than she already was becoming. Usually snide or antagonistic articles that were gossipy were popular and had a certain following. But even her most ardent fans were unhappy with her at present, saying she was overly critical.

Besides, she thought, ministry scandal was just too delicious, so she settled for merely saying that ‘after already enduring a ‘difficult' guardianship the tragic ‘Boy Who Lived' was under attack by Ministry personnel.' She felt they could interpret the ‘difficult' part any way they wished.

Harry scanned the headlines briefly, and then skipped to the sports section, to see what the writers had to say about the Harpies, to Severus' relief. Harry seemed to have finally given up hoping reporters would be fair or totally honest.

The match was an exciting one, and the boys almost lost their voices yelling. The other spectators divided their time cheering the teams and shouting greetings to Harry Potter. Harry waved back now and then; he was busy encouraging Jennifer in whacking bludgers at the Falcons. She managed to disable two players and force them to bring in less than satisfactory reserves. The win was quite spectacular.

The Harpies' Team Manager invited them to the team's celebration dinner to the boy's awe, and Harry and Draco wormed their way into seats flanking Jennifer, to her amusement. They chatted eagerly about Quidditch and the Dragon Reserve.

"My cousin and her mother are going to be studying the unicorns at your reserve this summer. Have you seen the herds there?" Jennifer asked.

"Just glimpses, really." Draco said.

"I've found some of their mane and tail hairs at times - on our walks through the woods." Harry added.

"Well, perhaps Heather and her mother can help you get a closer look." Jennifer smiled.

They continued the chattering with Severus watching in contentment - another crisis averted, then. Hopefully the summer would arrive with no more adventures to give him gray hair - he was sure he had found one that morning. Lucius had teased him about it when he had muttered about it, that no one would know when he got gray - since his hair was almost white as it was.

Bloody unfair, Severus thought.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1868