3 Slytherin Marauders by severusphoenix
Summary: Dudley and Harry flee Vernon - to Severus. A different Tom Riddle, Petunia is good. Lucius and Draco are helpful. Albus is a bit misguided. The twins are only a year older than Harry, so I can make them non-Gryffindor.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Fred George, Lucius, Petunia
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 137 Completed: No Word count: 545745 Read: 725019 Published: 28 Jun 2009 Updated: 28 Sep 2014
Arrival at Quiberon by severusphoenix

Harry trotted by Severus' side happily, following the excited camping gear salesman, who found himself in the enviable situation of selling to the 'Boy Who Lived's' guardian. Harry was cheerfully enjoying his father's exclusive company. He rarely got Severus alone, and felt like making the most of it.

Lucius had insisted that Petunia use his smaller tent for the coming trip, rather than pay a huge sum for something she would rarely use. So she and Dudley were taking the day to move more belongings to Spinner's End and get it set up the way they wished. Tom, along with Draco, were spending the day with the Tonks family. Lucius - accompanied by an imposing Hugo Savage in his scarlet Auror robes had gone to Quiberon to bully the campsite owner into letting him pick out the area he wanted - 'for Harry Potter's safety', of course.

Harry smiled to himself smugly. Even Rosemerta had been busy, though he wouldn't have minded her being there, so much. It would have felt like a real family - a mum, dad and kid out shopping. None the less, he was happy to have Severus all to himself.

The salesman led them to the tent section waving an arm at the tiny (on the outside) tents in various shapes and colors. Harry quickly looked at his catalog, where he and the others had circled several possibilities.

"Could we look at the 'Snug Safari 700' first please?" Harry asked in as positive a tone as he could.

The salesman glanced at Severus' neutral visage uncertainly. "Harry and his friends have been pouring over the catalog and planning for months - as long as he chooses responsibly I don't mind him using his research - it will be good practice for him in how to make high-quality purchases." Severus answered the unasked question in a level tone.

"Of course, very good, sir." He led them over to a tent in a khaki hue with stripes of leopard spotted fabric trimming it and showed them in. "It has five bedrooms, with a dining area, living room and a rather nice bathing area, as well as two toilets. Very cozy - not too large, of course but enough for a nice sized party of friends to camp in - especially if you share rooms."

Harry just looked around the tent in awe. Even though he'd read that the small tents were wizard-spaced into huge areas inside, he was still impressed. He grinned at Severus and the salesman. "I just love magic." He said with a grin, receiving an answering smile from Severus.

The salesman looked a bit puzzled, but continued to extol the various amenities of the tent as Harry and Severus looked around.

"Quite utilitarian in nature - not a bad thing, really, were there other tents that caught your eye?" Severus knew that Harry was still unused to indulging himself when shopping. Harry had no difficulty being extravagant in gifts for others - like at Christmas, but tended hesitate when buying for himself - and he would not go straight for an expensive tent for an outing that he knew Severus was less than enthusiastic about.

Harry fidgeted, "Well, Draco said the 'Elegant Excursion' line was nice..."

The salesman perked up immediately. "Oh, my yes - very high quality, the bedrooms come with spelled beds that make themselves up and slide into the walls. The wardrobes hold a great deal..." He led them quickly to a different end of the showroom to silk tents in jeweled colors. Severus held up a hand, causing the man to halt hesitantly.

Severus looked at Harry calmly, "Did you have a suggestion from this line, Harry - one you liked?" Severus tried to convey that Harry was to indulge himself a bit - pick out what he wanted.

Harry was relieved to have a moment to shift gears. He looked down at the catalog and told himself that his dad was willing to let him think and take his time. Plus, Harry could hear Draco repeating his favorite shopping advice over and over in the back of his head 'you're the customer - you're always right, and don't let them rush you into something you don't like.'

"The 'Lodge' model has six bedrooms, and the 'Petite Chateau' one has seven - they're a bit big for us, but they have the extras that we might like - the ones with fewer bedrooms don't have all of the 'extras'." Harry said, recovering his poise.

Severus smiled in satisfaction ... between he and the Malfoy's they would teach Harry to indulge himself a bit. Severus reflected that he could learn to be less of a miser, himself - though Tobias Snape's lessons had been literally beaten into him and were difficult to overcome.

The salesman nodded happily and waved them into a bronze and yellow striped tent, "The lodge model is quite elegant - though a bit masculine as it is geared a bit toward hunting parties - it has a cold room for game that you bag..."

He droned on as the two looked it over. Severus could understand why the group of boys had been attracted to the tent - it was unrelievedly male in its style and decorations - Severus hadn't known that antlers and animal hides could be used so much in decorating. He smiled at Harry's enthusiasm. "It is nice, but Rosemerta is unlikely to feel totally comfortable in it."

Harry looked around, completely unable to imagine why a girl wouldn't like the hunting prints, antler chairs and pop - up snooker table that occupied much of the living area, but he shrugged and nodded. The salesman smiled at Severus in understanding and took them to the dark blue tent trimmed in gold designs - the 'petite chateau' model.

This tent was homier - in a rather luxurious sense, it didn't look to be much smaller than Dragonsrest on the inside, Harry thought. They slowly looked around the rooms. It had a fireplace in the living room to Harry's astonishment. He looked around the bedrooms - smaller that his own at home, but still nice. He looked in the elegant dining room - the crystal chandelier was a bit much for a tent, he thought - but Severus was right, Rosemerta would like it better than the antler one in the lodge. Maybe there had been too many antler-things in the lodge tent.

Severus nodded as they completed the tour. "A very nice pick, Harry - were there any others that caught your eye?"

The salesman twitched a bit, but restrained his impulse to show them something big and expense, like the 'Caravan Castle' or its like. But he'd expected to be showing Harry Potter one of the 'Takealong Resort' line with their indoor pools. Not that the 'Elegant Excursion' line was cheap - they were considered quite high-end.

"No, these three were the one's we liked, but maybe the 'lodge' won't do for Rosemerta. I like the Safari - but it doesn't have the extras." Harry trailed off, looking around. "This one is the best, I think."

"Well chosen, Harry - I believe you are right." Severus grinned a little smugly at Harry - he'd gotten him to pick an expensive model. "Now we just have to decide on a few of the 'extras'."

The salesman went room to room with them, so they could finalize details. Severus insisted a large closet off the kitchen be made into a room for Tinker. "House-elves serve best when happy." Severus said firmly, with Harry nodding in agreement. Furniture design and bedroom colors were picked and Severus opted for the hot tub and extra bathroom. They added a small owlry to put Hedwig and Wylda in - Harry didn't want to be without her, even if he didn't need to send any letters on vacation.

"We have a 'portable potions lab' that we usually put in the really big tents - but it could be put in one of the bedrooms, instead." The salesman said hesitantly. Severus looked at the specifications and nodded - small but adequate.

Harry was appalled at the idea of Severus working on vacation - Severus was supposed to be having fun with him. "You're not going to be bringing potions orders on vacation, are you?" Harry asked in dread.

Severus lifted a brow and smirked, "No - but I expect I might need to whip up sunburn salve, poison ivy cure, a healing potion or two, perhaps even skelegrow or skelemend...." He stopped as Harry waved his arms in defeat.

Severus looked at the final bill and mused that it was good he had orders from other Dragon Reserves this summer. Once they had heard he was available to brew he was making quite a bit just making potions for them. This tent would take the profits from July, he thought with a sigh.

The sale was done and they promised to deliver the tent to the Welsh Reserve in a week. Severus and Harry flooed to the Three Broomsticks for a late lunch to celebrate with Rosemerta. Harry happily provided details of the tent to Rosemerta, who was pleased to see the two of them.

"I'll be joining you for part of the trip - I'll definitely be there for the World Cup." she smiled. She then looked at Severus a little more seriously. "I see a lot more of Remus Lupin, lately - along with many of the werewolves settling in the old warehouse on the other end of the forest edge. They're just calling it 'The Den', now, although some jokester said it should be called the 'were-house'."

Harry snorted in laughter and Rosemerta winked at him with a smile. Severus just rolled his eyes at the pun.

"They are trying to scratch a living - they have started cultivating a very large garden in the property, as well as running some cattle and sheep that they've bought. There's been no trouble so far, and they are far enough from Hogsmeade to keep the residents from getting nervous." Rosemerta paused and shook her head. "I'm just waiting for the other foot to fall - any werewolf causing trouble on a full moon, and the blame may fall on them."

"Well, I'm sure Albus will remind prosecutors that the bites of any victim can be tested and they will reveal the magical signature of the werewolf who is guilty." Severus sighed. "Of course they'll likely still whine that having 'The Den' nearby somehow caused it. And of course, they may be right - if Fenrir is trying to recruit them and they resist he'll cause trouble here for them and he would delight in tormenting an innocent party."

Harry scowled, "That isn't fair."

Rosemerta smiled sadly and patted his shoulder. Severus bit his tongue rather hard to refrain from a lecture on the myth of fairness, or a sarcastic sneer about fairness being more scarce that the Quibbler's crumple-horned snortkack that they were always on about.

Harry was distracted by the strawberry shortcake Renee served. He let Severus and Rosemerta's conversation flow over him. Next week it would be exactly a year since he had run with Dudley from Privet Drive and gone to Severus for protection. It had been the very best year of his life - even with all the 'little adventures' and dangers that had occurred.

Harry and Severus eventually left, Harry getting a warm hug and Severus a lingering kiss from Rosemerta. The arrived at home, the house still empty of the other occupants. They grinned and headed for Severus' lab. Harry had been promised another opportunity to brew a potion with Severus as his 'assistant'.

Severus had been careful to pick easy 'first year' potions, but not ones he usually used in his classroom for teaching. He didn't want accusations that he'd taught Harry all the first year potions ahead of time. He grimaced - the potions texts hadn't changed much - if at all - in decades. Anyone could teach their children the potions in the books ahead of time and likely be able to guess what potions would be taught, since they'd been in the class themselves at one time.

"I picked out a calming draught for you to brew - it's fairly easy to make, but I don't usually use it in class because the ingredients can be volatile if put in the cauldron in the wrong order." Severus waved to formula onto the instruction board. "Can you see the problem that could occur?"

Harry looked at the ingredients closely, and his face brightened. "The porcupine quills could react with the mongoose whiskers if the whiskers haven't dissolved completely - so the quills should not be added until after the lionfish scales and lemongrass have been added because they will dissolve them completely?" Harry knew he was right and was proud of the nod and well done from his dad.

They got out the ingredients and Harry prepared the cauldron and water, arranging his scales and instruments to his liking. Severus chopped and diced a few of the more dangerous ingredients.

"Don't forget to chop the lemongrass very finely, dad." Harry chirped brightly and giggled at Severus' narrowed gaze and shaken finger.

"None of your cheek, Mr. 'soon to be one of my tormented first year students'." Severus admonished.

Harry smiled as he carefully followed the directions on the board. Stirring carefully and adding the ingredients cautiously. Soon the cauldron was simmering for the required fifteen minutes. Severus cleaned up the excess with a few waves of his wand.

"I'll make an excellent brewer of you, yet Harry." Severus said thoughtfully. "Of course, you've no need to go into the field if don't truly enjoy it. However it is still a useful skill to have."

Harry nodded, "It is kind of like cooking, at times - and I always enjoyed that. Having something predictable - you follow the directions and the result is usually what you expected it to be. It's nice - especially when everything else in life can be so unpredictable."

"Yes, books were always my helpful and steady friends and my potions were my self-esteem boosters that I could count on to keep me in food and a roof over my head." Severus answered.

The timer chimed with the fifteen minutes done and Harry removed the cauldron from the heat. They retrieved some vials and Harry carefully ladled the cooling potion into them. Severus waved them to the right temperature and capped them. Harry proudly labeled each one and they were placed in the cabinet beside Severus' potions.

"Very well done, Harry." Severus said as he closed the door. "Excellent work."

Harry walked up to the dining room for supper, well content with the world.

Lucius and Hugo flooed back to Malfoy Manor for a congratulatory drink after finding just the right spot to camp. It was close to the water, up against a bluff and close to the edge of the campground. They felt it was the most easily defensible place there and they were unlikely to be surrounded by other campers.

Hugo took his leave after reminding Lucius with a laugh that he expected a nice bedroom in the tent - not a cell in its dungeon. Lucius rolled his eyes. Hugo would find out soon enough that he was only slightly exaggerating the dungeons existence.

Draco flooed in after supper, smiling happily from his day with Aunt Andy. Lucius was relieved that Draco was getting on well with his Aunt and cousin. He had been reflecting that if the worst happened and Voldemort killed Lucius he could leave guardianship of Draco to her. Severus would take him, and of course under normal circumstances have been his first choice, but he suspected that the Potions Master was going to be deep in the heart of a war and might not be in a position to be an effective guardian.

Lucius, as always preferred to have back up plans.

Draco chattered about Andy's house, Ted's job and how sickening Tom and Dora's 'public displays of affection' were becoming.

Lucius, in a melancholy mood, followed Draco up to his room and tucked the still chattering boy into bed - he hadn't done that in years, he reflected.

"Are you okay, father?" Draco asked, looking disturbed.

"I'm fine - I just realized you'll be off to Hogwarts, soon." Lucius grimaced a smile. "I expect I'm going to miss you..." He trailed off in confusion.

"I'll miss you, too." Draco answered, watching Lucius wander back out the door. He hoped Lucius and Petunia hurried their rather leisurely friendship / romance along. He hated seeing his father looking lonely.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Petunia watched Tinker and a pair of Malfoy house-elves dump the three small tents on the sandy beach. She still found it hard to believe they would hold that many people. Hugo directed the elves to pitch the two small tents at the base of the bluff, so they were protected by the cliff - face being at their back. The slightly larger Malfoy tent was on the other side; anyone approaching them would have to pass it to get to the Snape or Dursley tent.

The Krums would be arriving in a couple days - they would pitch their tent across from the Malfoy tent, effectively surrounding the Snape and Dursley tents.

Harry watched the tents being pitched with a smile. His first camping trip - and the beach was beautiful. He looked out over the water, the sound of the surf crashing stirring the Osprey's interest. He calmed the bird with the promise that someday he would be able to fly all he wished - just not today.

Draco and Dudley shouted to him and he turned and ran to join them - Dudley had retrieved his Frisbee while he had been at the house at Spinner's End. Draco was ecstatic to be introduced to yet another muggle invention, and was determined to win at whatever game with it they came up with.

For now they had the whole beach to themselves - the World Cup wasn't for a week, yet. The other campers would arrive soon, though - likely right after the Krum's arrived with the bodyguards. The Weasley's would be here with the Higgs in the morning, but for now - it was all theirs.

Harry caught the Frisbee and hurled it hard toward Dudley, running along the beach with his friends. The waves ran in, lapping at their heels, and they ran on, uncaring, as a pair of eyes watched carefully from behind a stand of trees.

Evan watched closely, but was all too aware that the cold black eyes of Harry's guardian watched as well. Severus would be hard to get around, though that would be half the fun of this. But he would need to take care - Evan preferred to be thought of as dead - as opposed to being really dead. He'd no doubts that was what he would be if caught by Severus - or Lucius. That pair played for keeps.

Harry whooped and stooped to pick up a shell, washing it off in the surf and holding it up to Dudley. The Frisbee was temporarily abandoned in favor of shell-hunting for a time.

Evan watched for awhile longer, then apparated away to think.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1868