3 Slytherin Marauders by severusphoenix
Summary: Dudley and Harry flee Vernon - to Severus. A different Tom Riddle, Petunia is good. Lucius and Draco are helpful. Albus is a bit misguided. The twins are only a year older than Harry, so I can make them non-Gryffindor.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Fred George, Lucius, Petunia
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 137 Completed: No Word count: 545745 Read: 724945 Published: 28 Jun 2009 Updated: 28 Sep 2014
Sorting Hat Madness by severusphoenix

Harry sat in the corner of the Hogwarts train compartment, letting Dudley and Draco play 'guard dogs'. They both took great joy in running off anyone there to gawp at 'the boy who lived'. Ron and Neville had passed by, going into the next compartment. Ron had given a 'Hello' with a fairly sincere smile.

Neville had greeted Dudley with enthusiasm, and managed a half-smile and nod for Harry and Draco, who nodded back politely. They had parked in the compartment across from them and both left the doors open so Ron and Dudley kept up a running dialog on Quidditch and why first years should be on teams.

Neville had talked to the portrait of Callidora at length after Ron had returned to his own home, telling her everything about Algie's attempt on his life and Dudley saving it with Lucius' help. She had been silent a long time and finally had said that he obviously did owe Dudley a life debt, and he perhaps owed Lucius – and Draco a second chance. "They would be excellent allies to have – as would Harry Potter." He'd reluctantly agreed.

She'd had him summon a house elf, who had – on her order brought out another, smaller frame the size of a book. "I can come to that frame if you need me. I do have access to several frames, around the house – I even have one at the Black house, though I never go there."

It had relieved him to have her going to Hogwarts with him. He still thought that keeping a low profile and acting inept would be best, though perhaps that was not so important with Uncle Algie gone. Callidora had nodded slowly and said if he was uncomfortable with his magic, that that was best.

The Weasley twins popped in and out of compartments, saying Hello to everyone – whether they were glad to see them, or not. They even said a cheerful hello to Timothy Hopkirk, to make sure he knew they were keeping an eye on him and his friends – and any tormenting of scholarship students or younger classmates would be met with a barrage of humiliating pranks.

The Hogwarts students arrived in Hogsmeade without incident. The upper years got in the carraiges and the first years followed Hagrid to the boats. Harry had been to Hogwarts, but had always flooed in – so he had no idea how magnificent the place looked from the outside.

Draco, Harry, Dudley and Theo managed to all crowd onto a boat. Mafalda and Hermione hadn't stopped talking since they'd found each other on the train, they were joined by two other girls – one of whom Harry recognized as Hannah Abbott. She'd given him a shy wave that he'd returned happily.

A sharp-faced boy climbed into a boat with Crabbe and an unhappy looking Goyle, who gave Draco a mournful look. Draco identified the boy as Blaise Zabini. "We'll need to keep an eye on him." Draco had muttered with a scowl.

The boats made their way across the lake under the starlight. Harry thought he'd never felt more a part of a dream than he did right then, as they crossed the silent lake under that stars, heading toward the brightly lit castle.

Soon the group of first years were marching down the center of the great hall to meet the sorting hat. The hat, to many's surprise burst into song, telling the students that he was to sort them into their houses, and about the four different houses.

Hannah Abbott and her friend Susan Bones were first – both going into Hufflepuff. A few others were sorted and then Professor McGonagall said, "Dudley Dursley."

Dudley walked up to the chair and took his place, the sorting hat landing on his head.

"Well, you are rather undecided, aren't you? You'd like to be with your Cousin, but don't know if he'll be in Slytherin, or not. You suspect you belong in Gryffindor, though, don't you? Quite a bit of loyalty, as well." The hat mused.

"I just want to be able to help Harry – we know a fight is coming, and the houses need to stop feuding." Dudley spoke to the hat, finding it odd to talk to it inside his head.

"Quite right – quite right. You can serve your cousin best by helping to pull houses together." They hat agreed. "Better be Gryffindor!" The hat said aloud.

Dudley smiled at the cheering house and took a seat near Percy, relieved that there were a few faces he recognized.

Hermione Granger was called soon afterwards and she nervously muttered to herself all the way to the chair.

"Ha! Another one that thinks she knows best, hey?" The hat barked at her mentally. "You think that Gryffindor might be the best house, since Dumbledore and a few others went there?"

"Well, I guess it's the most important house, if he went there..." Hermione thought, uncertainly.

"Nonsense! You belong where you will do your best, not where you think you'll get the most prestige." The hat chided. "So if you'll let me do my job...Better be Ravenclaw!"

Hermione went to her new house happily enough – she and Mafalda had felt it was the best alternative to Gryffindor, in case the hat argued. They were already fast friends, and had exchanged quite a few owls in the short time between Diagon Alley and the trip to Hogwarts.

More students were sorted and finally Neville Longbottom was called and he made his way nervously to the stool.

"Ha – never thought I would be sorting a Longbottom into Slytherin! Quite interesting." The hat said with glee.

"What?!, no, not Slytherin." Neville thought in horrified dismay. "Why would you say that?"

"Well, just look at all you've done – quite cunning, your revenge on your Uncle, and your plans to pretend to be inept. All earmarks of a splendid Slytherin!" The hat said triumphantly.

"No, no, no. That's not why I did those things ... I didn't intend to get into Slytherin!" Neville thought in panic. He'd never imagined his little plots being interpreted in such a way.

"Slytherin!" Shouted the hat happily and Neville walked to the table to sit nervously next to a confused looking Crabbe and Goyle. How had he ended up here?

Draco strutted to the seat soon afterwards and the hat yelled "Slytherin!" before even touching his head – just as he had predicted. A pair of pretty twins named Patil were sorted – one to Gryffindor and one to Ravenclaw. Padma sat beside Hermione and they smiled at each other hesitantly. Then Professor McGonagall was calling for "Harry Potter."

There was immediate silence and people craned their necks to watch this particular sorting. Harry could hear the whispers as he made his way to the chair. Even the teachers looked interested. He was quite nervous by the time the hat was placed on his head.

"Interesting. Just like your mother – she could have gone into any house as well ... plenty of perserverance and loyalty, a quick mind as well. No problem with bravery and you have some ambition, too." The hat mused, "I can see you hope to be with your friend, Draco, as well as your guardian. Not a bad thing – I suspect you will need the support they will provide."

"I do want to be in Slytherin – I need to learn some cunning – I can barely beat Dudley in chess. Strategy is going to be important, I expect." Harry said positively.

"Excellent – at least you have sound reasons for where you wish to be." The Hat responded approvingly. "Slytherin!" the hat called truimmphantly.

There was some startled applause. Many had expected that Harry would follow his guardian into Slytherin, but there had been some holdouts believing Harry would still be in his parent's house.

Mafalda Prewett followed her friend Hermione into Ravenclaw and they soon had Padma smiling at them chumily.

Ron was shuttled into Gryffindor almost as fast as Malfoy had gone into Slytherin, and the last student. Blaise Zabini went into Slytherin, smirking knowingly at Draco.

The Headmaster tapped his glass for silence and smiled at the students."And now we will have an extra sorting – a young relative of Professor Snape's who has been home-schooled is joining us for his final year. Please join us Mr. Riddle." Albus waved to the young man hovering at the end of the teacher's table, near Severus.

Tom walked forward to a smattering of applause, as people recognized his name – most remembered he had saved Harry Potter's life, almost at the cost of his own and were eager to meet him.

Tom sat down, expecting a quick sorting, like Draco's and was met with a delighted Sorting Hat. "Extrordinary! This is quite the unexpected year, isn't it? In spite of occasional calls for a re-sorting and such, I've never actually had a student come before me twice. And with a dragon along for the ride..." The sorting had chuckled at length. "I can see you learned quite well all the cunning you could ever need during your last stay in Slytherin."

Tom tensed, sensing things were about to go in a direction he hadn't predicted. "What are you doing, Hat?" he snapped mentally at the ancient relic.

But the hat blathered on, "You already show commendable loyalty and you certainly strive toward academic achievements without needing any urging. And while you have plenty of courage ... you might benefit from learning that being straightfoward in some dealings isn't all bad."

Before Tom could do more than yelp a horror-struck, "No!" aloud, the Hat cheerfully said,

"Gryffindor!"

Tom leaped up, grabbing the hat in fury, just as Yvane broke in. Yvane had sat back and let Tom and the hat 'sort things out'. He did agree that Tom had already learn far more than needed about craftiness, but he was about to alienate his new house.

While the hat continued chuckling at Tom, Yvane said, "Tom, you're about to make enemies you cannot afford." Tom abruptly realized the Gryffindors were beginning to scowl with insulted looks and Professor McGonagall was twisting her lips in anger.

Tom straightened an managed a sheepish smile as he handed the hat back to Minerva. He spoke loud enough to be heard by most of his new house.

"I thought I'd be where I could protect Harry." He sighed in a troubled tone.

Minerva was immediately understanding, and patted his shoulder. "You need not worry for Mr. Potter, Tom. You may take a seat with your House."

On hearing him, the Gryffindor house forgave him instantly – he was worried for Harry Potter, quite understandable, since he was now in Slytherin – even if he did have the formidable Professor Snape at his back.

Tom sat by Percy, still shaking his head in confusion and heard several other seventh years tell him "not to worry, they'd help him keep an eye on young Potter."

Tom sent a forlorn look over to Severus, wondering if there was any rescue possible from the lion's den. Most might think the twisted lips and set face on Severus meant anger, but Tom wasn't fooled – Severus was fighting laughter with all his might. Tom hoped grumpily that Severus got a severe headache from the effort.

Severus had bitten his lip until he drew blood to keep his hysterical laughter contained. If only Voldemort could know – he would die from sheer rage and save them all the trouble of going after him. He could see Albus' eyes twinkling cheerfully as he announced the feast. Albus was likely reflecting on the delicious irony of 'Voldemort's son' going into Gryffindor.

If only he knew.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1868