3 Slytherin Marauders by severusphoenix
Summary: Dudley and Harry flee Vernon - to Severus. A different Tom Riddle, Petunia is good. Lucius and Draco are helpful. Albus is a bit misguided. The twins are only a year older than Harry, so I can make them non-Gryffindor.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Fred George, Lucius, Petunia
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 137 Completed: No Word count: 545745 Read: 725002 Published: 28 Jun 2009 Updated: 28 Sep 2014
Dorm Doings by severusphoenix
The Headmaster stood with a rather complacent smile as the feast started winding down."Well, another year has begun, and there are a few new additions to the staff whom I would like to introduce. Professor Kettleburn is joined by an assistant, who is working on her Mastery in Care of Magical Creatures – Miss. Heather Black." There was some polite applause as the chestnut haired girl stood briefly, and the Headmaster continued.

"Also, returning to us is Professor Quirrell, who has been studying in Albania. He will once again take the Defense against the Dark Arts position." Severus scowled at this – there was something odd about their returning DADA teacher. Severus had looked at him closely – his magical signature was the same, but there was a 'muddy' feeling about his thoughts that confused Severus. The DADA had already been quite good in Occlumency during his two months as DADA teacher before – when he had filled in for a suddenly ill prior teacher, and he obviously was still quite good. Though this was a new technique that Severus had never encountered, before.

The Professor had nervously stuttered about an encounter with a vampire, and Severus knew that could lead to ... well, unusual things. He would need to look into that, though, he mused.

More applause and some rules and regulations and 'forbidden areas – including the third floor corridor and forbidden forest.'

The students were finally sent to their dorms and Tom followed along after Percy, listening to the Gryffindors chatter happily away. He nodded and managed a smile at what seemed appropriate times.

Percy and the seventh years continued to 'reassure' him that they would help Tom ensure Harry's safety, failing to mention exactly how they would do that. Tom made a mental note that if he came up with a plan or two, that they would likely fall into them with good humor.

The other seventh years knew each other well, but so far they were quite welcoming to Tom. Tom knew that part of this was welcome to the 'guy that save Harry Potter's life', etc. Adrian Kirke seemed to be the default 'leader' of the other four Gryffindors, he seemed nervous that Tom intended to topple him from the throne.

Tom had no intention of doing so, he too many irons in too many fires, already. He wasn't sure how to reassure the other boy. The only encounters with other students from his days as a Slytherin, he'd definately been intent on subjugating everyone to his will. He knew he still tended to exude an air of authority and Adrian perhaps was picking up on an unintended challenge from Tom.

David Spinnet and Brian Dunstan were asking question after question regarding Harry. Obviously they and their families were avid Daily Prophet readers and were both under the impression that Harry's animagus form was a huge winged Gryffin, and they – along with Adrian - were sure that he should be re-sorted because of that.

The Daily Prophet had never stopped guessing at Harry's form, and the latest 'animagus expert' had decided that Harry was a Gryffin. The idea was quite popular – even Harry had thought the article 'splended'. Harry found the articles speculating on his animagus form amusing - and certainly easier to take than ones on Rosier.

He looked at their expectant faces, uncertainly. They obviously expected him to agree with their idea that Harry should be in Gryffindor, with them.

"...After all, with you here in Gryffindor as well – you could keep a close eye on him, he'd be safer." Adrian finished triumphantly.

"Be diplomatic, but firm." Yvane offered. "Make sure Adrian knows that his opinion and 'support' are appreciated, but that Harry we will be fine where he is."

Tom relaxed and managed a smile. He could do this, he could blunt the Gryffindor's impulsive aspects and encourage ... well he wasn't quite sure there was anything in Gryffindor worth encouraging – except to have them run in front of curses meant for Harry, Draco or Dudley. Shock troops, cannon fodder – the whole lot of them.

Yvane snorted in laughter. "Now, now – they are young and they mean well. Perhaps you can teach them how to temper their impulsiveness with cunning."

Tom shook his head slightly. He wasn't sure the world was ready for cunning Gryffindors. And Yvane - Yvane was always looking around at people and expecting them to interact in a mature manner. He was about to find out that pre-teens and teenagers acted much more like amok young dragons who hadn't known a rider as yet – shooting flames at anything that offended them.

"I apprectiate your support, Adrian." Tom began with what he hoped was a sincere expression. "I guess protecting Harry – as well as Dudley and Draco has become a habit over the past year. I never really considered that I wouldn't be where I could watch over Harry. However, I can assure you that Professor Snape will have his safety well in hand – whether I am there or not." Tom cut off Adrian before he could start in on the resorting again. "There has never been a re-sorting in the history of Hogwarts, despite the many stories and the occasional yells of outraged parents. Not even for Harry will there be a resorting – it would not be allowed."

Adrian blinked in surprise and managed a weak, "Really, but I had heard..."

Tom shook his head and gave the three young wizards a sad smile. "I know – we all 'hear' stories, and their usually very good, adventurous stories, too. But if you dig deeper, you find they are inflated or fabricated from begining to end." Tom remembered the sorting hat's chuckle that none but Tom himself had every come before him twice and shook his head. "There won't be a resorting and for the record – Harry isn't a Gryffin animagus. That I will vouch for, myself."

Adrian, distracted by the last tidbit thrown out by Tom in hopes of steering them from his refusal to help hijack Potter into Gryffindor. It worked, of course. Adrian and the other two had heard him say there were never any resortings – they half-believed him. However, hearing more about the whole animagus adventure was much more interesting.

Adrian and his two friends crowded a bit closer, trying to act cool, but obviously eager for details that no one had heard. Animagus abilities were rare enough that hearing how it was accomplished was always welcome.

Tom finished arranging his chest and belongings to his liking. He muttered a sticking charm to place a large photo on the wall. It showed several dragons flying in the background. Rosemerta was flanked by Severus and Tom, with Harry in front of them, waving happily at him. Lucius was seated near them, Petunia standing next to his chair one arm around each of the two boys – Dudley and Draco. They were also waving at him. Lucius smirked proudly, which always made Tom smile back at the photo.

He turned back around and flopped onto the bed, leaning against the pillows. The three others sat on the bed as well, leaning forward to hear Tom as he started the tale. He couldn't tell Harry's form, of course, but the rest of the tale was still a good one.

Tom caught the eye of the last occupant of the room – Jack Dorney, a big lad with plenty of muscle – but sharp eyed and Tom suspected he was smart as well. Jack smiled and lifted a butterbeer in toast to Tom. He had obviously watched the encounter with a knowing eye and was amused by Tom's ploy.

Tom quirked a small smile at the other young wizard – he would need to find out more about him.

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z

Albus watched Professor Quirrell scurry after Severus as the students filed out of the Great Hall. Quirrill was doing alot of stuttering and muttering to himself since he had arrived. Albus grimaced and shook his head. He hoped the curse on the DADA position was not already at work.

He'd hoped that since Quirrell's time as the DADA Professor was being broken up over more than one year, that the curse could be circumvented. He shrugged, apparantly not, if the man was already being affected.

All in all the year was starting out well. He'd not minded that Harry went into the Slytherin house. Two years ago he'd have insisted that the Slytherin House could not be reclaimed for the light with Voldemort's possible return on the horizon. However, with the defection of Lucius Malfoy and the mass of Slytherins following him, he cheerfully admitted his mistake and was willing to have Harry reunite the House with the rest of Hogwarts.

Albus had always expected Harry to make friends with a Weasley or two and trot into the Gryffindor House, along with them. He'd likely have needed to get a smart young wizard or witch to buddy up with him to help him out, if needed. He watched Miss Granger and Miss Prewett leave the hall at the end of the line of Ravenclaws. One or the other of them would have done nicely.

Now, though, he would just need to encourage interhouse fraternization and make sure the Ravenclaw ladies got included with Harry's little group. Albus wandered slowly toward his office, musing on a few other sortings. Dudley Dursley hadn't escaped his obvious Gryffindor leanings, which had relieved Albus greatly. Harry ... and Draco were fond of him and so Albus knew Harry would likely end up with plenty of Gryffindor friends.

The Longbottom boy had been a surprise. He remembered Frank with a great deal of fondness. Alice, of course had been cut from Mad-eye Moody's mold and Albus had always been uneasy with her obvious need for vengence. Still, he'd expected Neville to keep to the Gryffindor tradition. The boy had looked as surprised as everyone else.

Albus looked back at Quirrell one last time and shook his head.

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z

Voldemort's mind raced madly, while Quirrell trotted after Snape. Watching his nemesis, Harry Potter end up in his old House had been shocking enough. But seeing 'Tom Riddle' come forward – and then go into Gryffindor. He'd been struck silent during most of the feast with his mind racing.

The lad appeared to be an exact copy of him – right down to the name. However the Headmaster had announced him to be a relative of his old servant Severus Snape. A few stuttered questions to the Potions Master by Quirrell quickly garnered the name, 'Thomas Prince Riddle' and that he was the son of a cousin of Severus' – a Serena Prince. Further details were not forthcoming and Snape's glare had precluded Quirrell asking further questions.

The name Serena Prince had surprised Voldemort. He recalled stalking the Prince family, looking for certain grimoires. He remembered they had caught Serena – with two of the books he'd wanted and the band of Death Eaters accompanying him had toyed with her a bit to find out where the rest were. As he recalled they had passed her around for a time, and he had taken his turn with her. What puzzled him was he'd been quite sure the witch had been dead where they'd left her.

Quirrell scuttled into the DADA office and closed the door. "W-w-what is it M-master? Do you know the young wizard?"

"Perhaps, perhaps." Voldemort mused. He disliked uncertainty, and his memories of events were not clear – at least not regarding some events like capturing the Prince girl. Such things had occured almost nightly during that time. Since they almost always killed the victims, He had never considered being faced with a child.

Certainly the young wizard resembled Voldemort as a youth too exactly to have been anyone else's. But he'd been so sure the girl was dead – no matter, though, perhaps having an heir would be good, though having him sorted into Gryffindor certainly was a shock – must take after his mother, he fumed.

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z

Harry and Draco trotted after the Slytherin Prefect happily and they were soon at the Dungeon entrance. The prefect was a slightly scarey-looking dark-haired boy with a large set of white teeth named Marcus.

Marcus Flint gave them the password and told them it was changed every monday – "so check the announcement board Sunday night, or you'll get locked out come Monday."

Marcus led the first year boys to their dorms. "You can have two or three to a room – thats up to you lot to decide, once you do – announce it to the room and th elves will pop your belongings up."

Blaise immediately grabbed Crabbe and Goyle and took a room. Draco sneered at their haste – all the rooms were the same – his father had told him so. Grabbing first wouldn't get you anything better.

Draco nodded toward Neville with his head, and Theo grinned and took Neville's unresisting arm and dragged him into a room. "Come on, mate, lets get settled in."

Harry and Draco took the last room, Draco immediately yelling for their trunks. Harry admired the dark green wall hangings and four-poster beds. He'd not had a bed with curtains before and thought it was awesome. They got their books out – each bed had a desk and small bookshelf nearby to work at, as well as a dresser and closet set, they got their things organized quickly.

Harry had Hedwig settling onto a perch and was talking to her happily while Draco fussed with his Tawney owl's cage and perch.

"What's his name, Draco now that I think about it – you've never said?" Harry asked.

To Harry's surprise Draco turned a bit pink, and then snickered. "I got him when I was only six, and I thought it would be funny to call him Lord Mousefarts – now he won't answer to anything else. I try to just shorten it to Mouse, sometimes he'll answer to that – if I have a treat on me."

There was alot of laughter and Harry shook his head. "Hedwig narrowly escaped being called Dingbat when she kept flying into windows at Dragonsrest when she first arrived there – before she got used to how clean Tinker and Dobby keep them."

Marcus came back around to make sure they were settled in and brought their class schedules with him and handed them around along with a parchment with the 'Slytherin House Rules' that mostly seemed to say when curfew was and list the Prefects, etc.

"House meeting in 15 minutes, then you're off to bed, firsties." Marcus said, and then left.

The pair scurried to get ready and raced to the common room with the rules and schedules clutched in their hands. Harry noted with disappointment that Potions was only once a week on Fridays – though it was a double class – a full four hours.

Theo and Neville arrived, Neville seemed to have come out of his shocked stupor and was peering around at the splendidly appointed common room. The room was long with alot of green lights hanging from chains, but also had a huge fireplace with a wide raised hearth for alot of students to gather around and sit on. Greens and snake motifs predominated, but Harry thought it all looked quite fantastic, anyway.

Blaise lounged on a sofa, flanked by Crabbe and Goyle, the first year girls were sitting primly in chairs. The rest of the students found spots around the room or stood leaning against walls or pillars. Harry watched with a smile as Professor Snape whirled into the room with a flourish.

"Welcome to another year of we Professors attempting to teach you something." The upper years chuckled and Snape let his lips curl into a half-smile."I expect Slytherin House to comport itself with decorum and uphold our traditions in the very best way possible. Slytherin may mean cunning to the others, but I know you understand when I say that it means more than that – it means solidarity." He glanced around, to ensure they knew he meant business.

"No matter your arguements here in the common room – out there you are expected to have each other's backs. Prefects, I want someone getting the lower years to their classrooms the first few days, until they know where they are – the first years, especially. First years – the prefects, and whomever they assign are there for your protection and to assist you, so do as they say." Snape waited until all the first years nodded obediantly and then nodded back to them.

"I will be meeting with all of you over the next few days – bring a list of question, if you have them. Let me know if you've any difficulties." Snape dismissed them, but waved the prefects to his office, where they met with Aurora Sinistra, as well.

"I intend to be handing more and more duties to Sinistra – by the time '94 rolls around she will be Head of House." The students nodded to him, though they would be gone by then. "I know you may - or may not have expected my ward Harry Potter to be in this House ..." He peered at the students, who mostly seemed to have blandly indifferent faces. He knew those were masks, several of the students had parents who continued to cling to the Dark Lord's side of matters. Snape took heart from the fact that more families had recently defected."...I expect that ALL the first years ... including him ... will be guarded carefully, just as you always do." His eyes narrowed a bit threateningly. "I will know if you don't."

The prefects nodded resolutely – even the ones he didn't trust, totally. He would review the assignments and make sure those he trusted went with the first years. He eyed Marcus Flint – the family had it's rabble rousers and had sported some Death Eaters. The Head of the Flint family had met with Lucius during August and had cautiously conceded he would prefer never seeing another Dark Lord in his lifetime. Marcus' father had been there and had sullenly agreed that Voldemort was worse than any muggle problems they might have.

Snape waved the other prefects off and kept Marcus. "Congradulations on becoming the Quidditch Team captain, Marcus. How is the team line-up looking." Severus was indifferent as a spectator, but winning games was important to House morale, and – more importantly – losing to him annoyed Minerva a great deal.

Marcus frowned, "We've lost a couple players, but a couple of the reserves will do as replacements. I'll hold some tryouts, just to make sure we've not overlooked anyone. Next year will be brutal, chasers and beaters are leaving – plus Terrence says he may not stay as seeker – says he may need to concentrate on his NEWTS." Marcus looked outraged at someone prioritizing in such a manner.

Snape nodded and didn't bother to argue. "I'd like you to include some first years in tryouts – with a mass exodus next year we'll need to encourage them to start training. Draco and Harry are both excellent chaser material – according to Terrence's Uncle. I don't expect you to put them as first string right away – but if they become reserves next year, it will keep them ready for when your fellow chasers graduate."

Marcus nodded – he'd no intention of putting the pair on the team unless they were good enough, but if letting them try out – or even keeping them on the string as 'reserves' would keep everyone happy, he had no objection to that. If Terrence's Uncle thought they had potential, though – he would keep an eye on them.

Severus smiled as Marcus closed the door behind him. Severus leaned back and summoned tea. An excellent day, all around. Harry was safely in a dorm room with Draco, under his own protection. Tom ... Severus chuckled again. What a perfect revenge on Voldemort – to have his resurrected self be sorted into Gryffindor. Tom had been upset by it – but really, there was nothing more perfect to kill off any lingering doubt in Dumbledore's mind regarding the young wizard.

After all – it was only for one year, and it would cement him in people's minds as a 'good wizard', so if the 'truth' of his lineage ever came out it would go far in reassuring people of his harmlessness.

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z

Dudley lay out the books he'd need for the next day's classes. About half his classes would be with the Slytherins, so he'd be seeing Draco and Harry soon. He'd written a short note to his Mum and borrowed Tom's owl to send it off. He'd resisted the idea of a familiar – not that he disliked animals, he actually was a bit afraid he'd neglet one. He knew his own weaknesses and would feel terribly guilty if he woke one morning to suddenly remember he'd not fed his owl for a week.

Mum had agreed that if he wasn't ready to fully commit to caring for a familiar, to definately put off a decision. He had to admit the owls were dead useful. He'd talk to Tom some more, and think it over.

Ron chattered on and Seamus and Dean laughed over their Exploding Snap game. The four of them made up a rather small incoming class, but Minerva shrugged and said she'd seen smaller. The class sizes for each house did depend on the Sorting Hat's whims, so there could be wide variation, she said.

None the less, it made for alot of room, which was nice. He lay on the bed – pretty comfortable for a dorm bed. The hangings were a rather loud scarlet with gold trim. Mum would have a fit at such a 'garish display'. He missed her, but knew he would see her soon – the holidays weren't far off, really.

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1868