3 Slytherin Marauders by severusphoenix
Summary: Dudley and Harry flee Vernon - to Severus. A different Tom Riddle, Petunia is good. Lucius and Draco are helpful. Albus is a bit misguided. The twins are only a year older than Harry, so I can make them non-Gryffindor.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Fred George, Lucius, Petunia
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 137 Completed: No Word count: 545745 Read: 724944 Published: 28 Jun 2009 Updated: 28 Sep 2014
Trolls and Dogs by severusphoenix

The trio of wizards delivered the mirror, cursing a bit every time it hit a narrow doorway. They were directed by an ecstatic Dumbledore to an empty classroom near Albus' office. He'd expected that it would take even Lucius Malfoy a week or two to pry the mirror out of the Dept. Of Mysteries, though the presence of Hugo and Arthur likely explained much.

Lucius beamed happily at him, to Albus' confusion. "Heribert Brothers wanted to make sure you understood that any 'mishaps' with the mirror were to be placed on the head of a certain 'twinkling twit' ... I believe that he meant you, Headmaster." Lucius attempted unsucessfully to look innocently earnest as he delivered the message. Arthur made strangled noises and Hugo snorted at this.

Albus had a few seconds of blank shock and a glint of anger, and then Albus' lips twitched while Lucius watched hopefully for a temper tantrum that he would be able to act shocked and dismayed at. Instead, to his disgust Albus laughed heartily.

"Ah, I'll have to think of an excellent insult to give back to Heribert at our next Wizengamot gathering. He certainly doesn't enjoy being crossed while in his own territory, there in the Department of Mysteries." Albus smiled in amusement at Lucius' faint look of disappointment.

Lucius mentally sighed, he would have to make do with having gotten away with delivering an insult to the Head of the Wizengamot without a thorough hexing. Arthur muttered an incomprehensible excuse and fled. Lucius hoped he fumed his way to an ulcer, though the wish was only half-hearted. Arthur had been an asset today – making the workers in the Department look at him with much less suspicion.

Hugo chuckled and bid Albus and Lucius goodbye – an amusing day, all around. Lucius bowed shortly and left as well – it was obvious Albus intended to stay and play with his new toy.

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z

Albus watched Jarvis working furiously on a particularly difficult chapter of Helga's journal. It was Halloween afternoon and the boy of course wished to attend the feast. Jarvis' lectures continued, once a week for each year-group with Binns continuing with the other lesson each week. The tale of the founders' first years at Hogwarts was fascinating to the children, with the sorting hat verifying anything that the children questioned.

Even Binns had been inspired, on his lecture days to tell the tale of the Goblin war that had occured just before the founding of Hogwarts. It had been the war in which the founders had met. Helga's great estate had been located very close to a clan of Goblins. Rowena had been visiting her to copy some magical tomes she did not possess. They had become fast friends and the visit had become quite lengthy.

They'd been caught off-guard by the Goblin hoard and the castle lay under seige. Sending for help was a bit problematic. Apparition had not been invented and there was no floo network.

At this juncture Binns had noticed that all the students were actually awake and listening intently with mouths agape. It had been awhile since he'd had an attentive audience.

"Travel by fire was possible, though much more difficult." Binns explained to his suddenly rapt audience. "Helga would not leave her people, so she sent Rowena for help. Rowena found the Wizarding encampment where the force that was battling the Goblin clan was planning the next assault and begged for assistance. Godric Gryffindor was one of the Captains of the wizard army and Salazar was the main strategist." Binns managed to deliver the dialog with some enthusiasm. "The Goblins had 'confiscated' some goblin made items of Salazar's recently deceased father. As some of you know Goblins feel that when an item is bought – it is only for the duration of that persons lifetime, and after their death the object should be returned to the Goblin maker. It is the main cause for many a War with the Goblins. These Goblins had actually managed to infiltrate Salazar's tower to take the items back. It is said that he was infuriated and determined to exact justice regarding this."

There was chortling at this from the Slytherin side of the room and even some approving murmurs from the rest.

"Godric had struck up a friendship with Salazar and was sympathetic. Godric had just bought a ruinously expensive sword with a great deal of spellwork on it. After hearing Salazar's tale he realized that his heirs might not be allowed to keep it." Binns heard appalled whispers from the Gryffindor section. They realized he was speaking of the legendary Gryffindor sword.

The tale of the rescue of Helga and the friendship of the four founder's families kept them going for weeks. Albus was satisfied that the four houses were becoming closer with the tales of the founders' initial friendship. It had become obvious that the younger children were mixing much more easily, now, and even the older years were more friendly. Harry could use the support of all four houses, not just the Slytherins - who were his house-mates and Gryffindors who were now Dudley's House, Albus had decided.

The last of the gauntlet of obstacles had been placed yesterday and today he'd dragged the mirror down to the last chamber and set the stone in it. A brilliant piece of work, if he said so, himself. He frowned a bit. When he'd gone to get the mirror he'd found young Harry in front of it. His heart had frozen, imagining having to explain to Severus how his brilliant idea had ended with his young ward going mad from looking in the mirror.

Luckily Harry had only just found it and had already realized that it didn't show anything real. Harry had smiled wistfully when Albus had gently told him the mirror was going elsewhere and he was not to look for it. Harry had nodded and walked away without a backward glance, to Albus' relief.

Now Albus wondered what Harry had seen. He worried that the scar/Horcrux might influence Harry badly. A look at his deepest desires might be helpful. At one time Albus would just have asked Severus. Now, of course, even if Severus found a deep well of seething longing to rule the world inside Harry it was unlikely that Severus would say a word about it to Albus.

Albus chuckled wryly and sighed, at all cost he needed to keep Severus firmly on the side of light. It was ironic of course that the wizard most would guess epitomized darkness was the best chance they had to keep Harry on the side of light.

Albus stood with a clap of his hands, startling Jarvis. "Come, lad, we don't want to be the last to the feast – all the lemon drops will be gone."

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z

Harry wandered the hall, deep in thought. He knew he should be heading to the feast but was reluctant to go. He'd ducked into that empty classroom near the Headmaster's office to avoid Timothy Hopkirk. The bully was looking for new victims, though he usually didn't try going after Harry – there were always too many other Slytherins around.

He'd almost not noticed the mirror there deep in the shadows. The inscription was odd, but then he'd noticed that the mirror was full of people. He'd looked quickly behind him, but the room was empty. He'd stepped closer and realized they were all people he knew. His own reflection was there – with Severus and Rosemerta on one side. Rosemerta's usual happiness was reflected in Severus' face, his guardian's eyes now unshadowed by past heartache.

Harry's parents that he did not remember – James and Lily - stood on the other side beaming proudly at him and looking at Rosemerta and Severus with approval. Behind the five of them were others – Tom was cheerfully smiling, no uncertainty or anger anywhere. Lucius and Petunia were arm in arm, smiling with Dudley and Draco cheerfully jostling to get in front of their parents. Behind them were scores of others that Harry did not recognize, though their green eyes and puckish grins were very like Lily and James' – and his own.

They must be his family. Harry sat and watched their antics for a quite some time, musing on what it all meant. He'd been startled by the Headmaster, but he hadn't needed the explanation – he'd already guessed that the mirror had merely been a manisfestation of wishful thinking. Still, it had been pleasant to see.

Now, though, he was in a bit of a melancholy mood. In spite of his dad's assertion that Lily and James would have wanted him to enjoy the holiday, seeing them in the mirror had taken the shine off celebrating on the anniversary of their deaths.

Harry ended up wandering back toward the dungeons, though he didn't go in them. He found an alcove just before the stairs down to the common room and looked out the window. He hoped the celebrating would be over with soon, and he could just head to bed.

He was startled to hear a thumping of heavy footsteps – even louder that Hagrid's. He saw the shadow of an enormous figure, and a huge troll abruptly came around the corner and locked eyes with Harry.

Harry heard someone yelling loudly in a hysterical tone, "DAD!" and suddenly realized it was himself he could hear.

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z

Voldemort chuckled nastily, and was echoed by Quirrell, who felt the plan fool-proof. After setting up the troll in the gauntlet he had ensured that the bait and trap had attracted a second one and had left a trail into the castle that the troll would be sure to follow. If anyone questioned him closely he could say that the second troll had followed the first one and be backed up by evidence. The worst they could say was that he'd been incompetent in not taking down the trap.

The Headmaster had placed the stone in the chamber at long last and Voldemort intended to get it immediately. The teachers would be protecting the children from the troll and Quirrell would be long gone by the time they realized that the alarms had gone off – he hoped. Voldemort was counting on them thinking that since the stone had only just been placed, that the alarms simply hadn't been set right.

It didn't matter, Voldemort was set to get the stone this very night and didn't care what stood in the way. Quirrell raced into the Great Hall shrieking in fear about the troll in the dungeons and threw his faint. Voldemort's patience – what there was of it evaporated when the stone was put in the chamber.

As soon as Quirrell heard the children's shrieks and the near-stampede afterwards, he disillusioned himself and slipped out the side door, not realizing that Professor Snape had done the same.

Severus reached the door at a run, hoping he'd beat Quirrell to it. The moment the other professor had spoken, he'd been sure it was a trick – a diversion. He flung the door open and been faced with an angry – and definately not stunned or otherwise subdued Fluffy. It was impossible to watch all three heads and check the status of the trapdoor, so Severus ended up with a bitten leg. He exited the room and slammed and locked the door with fury.

Severus was not surprised to find Quirrell just outside the door after he'd slammed it shut. There was a brief flicker of rage in the man's eyes and then he was all concern. "No one got by the dog, then, Severus? Good – I came to check on the traps as well..." Quirrell wrung his hands and stuttered as usual. "B..b..ack to the dungeons, then hey? N..n..need to round up that troll..."

Severus answered the man with a cool, disbelieving sneer and waved Quirrell forward, to lead the way.

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z

Tom, who habitually sat in the back row of the availble seats in the Great Hall so he had a good view of all the other students had listened to Quirrell's shrieking with incredulity. He noted that Severus immediately left – to check on whatever it was that he and the other teachers were guarding, Tom presumed.

Tom also noted Quirrell's abrupt disappearance – very suspicious. The Headmaster regained order quickly, but Tom had been angered by the order he gave and stood up.

"But Sir!" He yelled, attracting attention. "The Slytherin and Hufflepuff dorms are in the lower levels – they could meet the troll on the way!"

The Headmaster looked blank for a brief moment, but recovered quickly. "Of course, quite right – ten points to Gryffindor for quick thinking. Very well – Professor Sinistra, if you would organize the prefects to ward the Great Hall, the students can continue with the festivities. The teachers and I will deal with the troll."

The students retook their seats. The teachers quickly left and Sinistra had the doors and windows quickly warded and the prefects stationed to watch for signs of the troll – which was mostly listening for very loud footsteps and smelling for a very rank stench. The younger students settled quickly and the older ones went to discussing the troll and Quirrell's incompetence.

The teachers had been barely gone five minutes when Draco noticed that Harry was not there – that Harry had never arrived to the feast. He raced to Tom and breathlessly told him that Harry was not present. Tom frowned and thought quickly. Harry had been reluctant to celebrate on the day of his parents' death last year as well. He was likely holed up in the Slytherin common room or his dorm room – at least Tom hoped so.

Tom waved his roommates and some prefects over and explained the situation. His roommates – Adrian Kirke in particular – were all for a 'Harry Potter rescue' and the prefects agreed to let the five of them go. Tom, however insisted on taking a Slytherin with them. Adrian had scowled and asked "Why?"

"Because I'm hoping he's just in his dorm and to check in there - we'll need a Slytherin to get in." Tom answered impatiently - did Gryffindors never think ahead?

Marcus Flint was recruited and he followed after the eager Gryffindors, wondering if it was to his advantage, or not. But he did have the excuse that he didn't dare cross Severus Snape – most everyone would understand that.

They moved quickly through the corridors, shouting down a few hallways and rounded a bend in time to hear Harry screaming for help. Tom and Adrian charged forward, together into the fray. Harry was being hung upside down and was dodging the troll's club as best he could. From the bruising they could see Harry had at least gotten a glancing blow or two.

Tom's roommates charged forward eagerly. Adrian grabbed onto the club that was being swung forward and was lifted with it. David and Brian cast cutting curses at the hand holding the club. Adrian and the club were flung against a wall. Adrian yelped and slumped to the floor. Jack cast a tripping hex as Tom cast a cutting curse on the other hand, forcing the roaring troll to fall to his knees and drop Harry.

Tom grabbed Harry and pulled him behind himself, backing down the hall away from the troll.

Marcus had watched the brief battle carefully and when Harry was away from the troll Marcus cast a quick Wingardium Leviosa, levitating the club as high as the ceiling would allow and then he let it drop forcefully on the bewildered troll's head, ending the fight.

David and Jack ran to shake Adrian awake just as the teachers arrived on the scene, having been attracted by the sound of fighting. Severus' guts had frozen when he'd seen the bruised form of Harry, partly hidden by Tom. Minerva took over the scene of mayhem while Severus had muttered and inspected Harry's injuries.

Severus heard Minerva shriek, "Explain yourselves."

Tom had broken in immediately and told her that Harry had been missing from the feast and the seven of them had gone in search of him. She turned to Harry, "Why weren't you at the feast, young man?"

Harry flushed a bit and hung his head. "I know Severus keeps telling me that my parents would have wanted me to enjoy myself, but it just didn't feel right to be celebrating on the anniversary of their death."

Minerva was taken aback. She'd forgotten that though Halloween was celebrated not only for the usual holiday and as the anniversary of Voldemort's, it might hold sorrowful memories for Harry. She sighed and nodded.

Severus sighed as well, "Harry ... " he started, and then stopped - Harry had a right to celebrate – or not as he saw fit. So, instead, he patted Harry's shoulder and turned to the Gryffindors – and one Slytherin. He bowed to them and said in formal tones. "The Houses of Snape and Potter thank you for your assistance in this matter." Since he wasn't sure that a life debt was warranted he did not mention that, he simply acknowledged that a favor of some sort was owed.

The Gryffindors looked surprised, but managed to bow and murmur their answers to him. Marcus smiled slightly and bowed as well. "It was my honor, Professor." He was relieved, if any family members were annoyed that he'd risked anything for Potter, they would be mollified by Snape 'owing him one'.

Adrian and Harry were packed off to the infirmary, and Quirrell was left to deal with the troll. Harry had sprained his neck, after getting dropped on his head. Between the entire jar of briuse paste and the muscle relaxant Madame Pomphry insisted he spend the night – along with Adrian, who was sporting a concussion.

By the next morning the school was alive with rumors and the bare-bones report given by the Headmaster at breakfast had disappointed many. Albus read the Daily Prophet with resignation. Severus had, of course sent an owl to Cornelius – who had wasted no time in calling a press conference.

Fudge had run on about the safety of the children, and Amos Diggory had shown up to secure the troll and look around enough to satisfy the governors and reassure parents that there were no more trolls about the school. He'd taken down the traps and scolded a twitching Quirrell about his carelessness.

The Prophet had praised the Gryffindor and Slytherin students for their bravery and Adrian was wearing a large grin when he left the infirmary – surrounded by a crowd of admirers.

Harry had been happy to sneak into lunch with Draco while all eyes had been on Adrian. The Slytherins welcomed him back with more decorum that the Gryffindor table was showing Adrian. Most of the Slytherins were happy that he'd turned up mostly unharmed. The few that wished the troll had had better aim simply ignored him. Marcus grinned his toothy – and faintly alarming smile, and toasted Harry with his glass of pumpkin juice.

Harry glanced up at his dad who gave him a faint smile as well. They had talked briefly before Harry had been dosed with dreamless sleep. Dad seemed to finally understand that celebrating Halloween with enthusiasm was just beyond him at present – and it didn't matter what James and Lily would have wanted. He'd also confessed to having found a mirror and told him what he'd seen and about being caught by Dumbledore.

Severus had remained silent during this, slightly overwhelmed by what Harry had revealed. By seeing he and Rosemerta, along with Lily and James – it showed a level of acceptance from Harry that shocked him a bit. Harry had been calling Severus dad for awhile, now. But seeing him in the mirror told Severus that it was no fleeting fancy of a child that was latching onto any random father figure.

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z

Weeks passed quietly after the troll – Voldemort trying to find out how to get by a Cerebus unscathed. Ron and Neville even caught Quirrell searching through the stacks of books in the library at times.

"Hope he finds something useful he can teach us." Neville muttered.

Ron sat near Mafalda, who was next to Hermione. He usually got a few tips on how to improve his essays from the two of them. Mafalda would tell him things because he was 'family'. Hermione – if you asked a question ... well she couldn't help spouting off everything she knew, and then it was just a matter of writing quickly enough to get it all down.

Ron and Neville left the library at the same time as Hermione and were on the stairs together when they were hijacked to the third floor corridor. Hermione immediately yelped that they were all breaking the rules when they were startled by Filch's cat. They ran into a room to escape – and found Fluffy.

They escaped with their lives, and Hermione fumed over 'the irresponsibility of the professors'. Neville, though, was thinking. He'd noticed Professor Snape limping and read about the robbery at Gringotts.

"It's guarding whatever they took out of that vault at Gringotts, just before the robbery, I'll bet." Neville looked gratified by the stupification on the other's faces. "Snape left right after Quirrell announced there was a troll in the dungeons. He was limping for weeks after that – probably got bitten trying to get by that dog. Snape likely knows ways in and out of the dungeon no one else does – he could have let that troll in with no problem." Neville had no idea if any of this was true, but he was rather angry with Snape - always rolling his eyes at Neville's best efforts in potions.

Ron was equally unhappy with Snape - he always lost a few points in Potions for his work. Anyone saying Snape was doing anything wrong had his support.

"But why?" Hermione asked. "What could be so important?"

Ron lit up, happy to have an answer for them. "Hagrid will know – if anyone will know about a three-headed dog it will be him."

"We'll go see him in the morning, then?" Hermione asked. Both the boys nodded. They were sure Hermione would be in possession of all the information on three-headed dogs available by morning.

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1868