A Different Life For Harry by Black Banshee Girl
Summary: When Dumbledore and McGonagall drop Harry off at the Dursley's after Harry's family dies. Unknown to anyone Snape, his true father, takes him away to live with him at his house. Follow Harry's other life as he lives with Snape, is loved, and is sorted into a much different house then he would have if he had lived with the Dursleys. This story also includes Hermione as his adopted sister.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Resorting
Takes Place: 8 - Post Hogwarts (young adult Harry)
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 8880 Read: 25020 Published: 29 Jun 2009 Updated: 20 Mar 2010
Chapter 2 by Black Banshee Girl
Author's Notes:
If anyone likes to beta my story then I'll be happy. I just hope that this time around I got everything right.

On September 1 Severus took Harry and Hermione to Kings Cross Station so that they could take the Hogwarts Express to school. Remus and Sirius were there as well and all three men made sure that Harry and Hermione’s things were loaded in the corner of the compartment.

“I’ll see you both at Hogwarts,” Severus told them.

“How come you can’t join us?” Harry asked.

“Because Dumbledore doesn’t suspect that I took you from the Dursley’s, though after the sorting he will find out, and anyway the Hogwarts Express is for students, not staff.”

“Okay, fine,” Harry said, pouting.

Severus gave both his children a hug and then stepped off.

“You know they’ll be fine,” Remus told Severus as the Hogwarts Express moved and then disappeared around the corner.

“I know, but that doesn’t mean that I can’t worry about them,” Severus told him.

Sirius patted him on the shoulder and Severus disappeared with a loud ‘crack.’

Meanwhile Harry and Hermione were talking about what Hogwarts would be like. They had been told about each house, and what they stood for, but this would be the first time that they would meet other young witches and wizards from each house and really understand what they were all about. When a girl with short brown hair popped her head in she smiled at the both of them.

“Hello,” the girl said, “Can I sit here?”

“Sure,” Harry said and she entered followed by two boys.

They all loaded their things and then sat down.

“I’m Terry Boot,” said the boy. “This is my brother Mitchell.”

“I’m Mandy Brocklehurst,” the girl said, giving Harry a smile.

“I’m Harry Snape and this is my sister Hermione,” Harry said.

The smile faded at once from her face and Harry wondered what he had said. However Terry hit her in the side.

“Sorry about that, Harry, Mandy forgets that we haven’t been sorted yet,” Terry told him.

“Why, what’s wrong?” Hermione asked.

“Well we know a Snape and he teaches at Hogwarts,” Terry said. “And from what I’ve been told he hates any house other then Slytherin.”

“Well he doesn’t treat us like that,” Harry told him.

Terry and Mandy looked surprised.

“So did he adopt you or is he your father?”

“He’s my real dad,” Harry said. “Of course Hermione is adopted.”

“Wicked, so do you know any spells and such?” Mandy asked, forgetting that Harry was Snape’s son.

“Dad taught us loads of spells and stuff, nothing dark, and I know that he expects that we’ll end up in Ravenclaw at least.”

“That’s the house that we’re hoping to be in,” Mitchell said. “Of course it’s a house of logic and we don’t believe in all that bravery stuff.”

‘Thank goodness,” Harry said. “Dad says that people that don’t use their brains and just charge in will end up dead. He said that James didn’t have an ounce of brains in him.”

“Well don’t tell that to people around here. They really admire James for battling You-know-who,” Mitchell told said.

“Well I don’t,” Harry stated. “My dad’s a real hero, not James stupid Potter.”

When the Hogwarts Express pulled in everyone got off and the new students joined a huge man that Harry didn’t even know. He then led them to a line of little boats and they all climbed in, Hermione with Harry. Hogwarts castle looked wonderful, though not as wonderful as Harry’s house. When they arrived on the other side they all got off and the giant of a man led them up some stone steps and then finally to a pair of oak front doors. He knocked twice and then waited.

The doors opened and a very stern-looking witch appeared. She had her hair in a tight bun and was wearing emerald green robes. She was also wearing glasses which looked a little ridiculous on her.

“The first years, Professor McGonagall,” the man said.

“Thanks, Hagrid, I’ll take them from here,” McGonagall said and then moved aside to let the group pass.

They were in a large entrance hall that amazed and astounded Harry and Hermione. However they were led to a small chamber and the door was closed.

“Welcome to Hogwarts,” said Professor McGonagall, looking at the assembled group. “In a few minutes you will go through those doors and join your classmates. But before you can you must be sorted into your houses. They are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. Each has its own noble history and has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are here your house will be like your family inside Hogwarts. You’ll go to classes with the rest of your house, according to year, and you’ll spend your free time in the house common room. Triumphs will earn you points while any rule breaking and you’ll lose points. At the end of the year the house with the most points will be awarded the house cup, a great honor. I hope that you become a credit to whichever house becomes yours. Now you will wait here, quietly, until you’re needed.”

And she left the room.

“I hope I end up in Ravenclaw,” Hermione told Harry.

“Me too,” Harry said.

“I highly doubt that, Snape,” said a voice that Harry and Hermione had never heard before and couldn't place.

They both turned to see a red haired boy standing there.

“And how do you know that we won’t be in Ravenclaw?” Hermione asked.

“Because you’re a Snape!” the boy stated. “Of course you reek of dark magic so I don’t think that house will do.”

Several of the students all gasped but one spoke up.

“How dare you treat them like that,” he said, he was round-face and he looked mad.

“Shut up, Longbottom,” the boy said. “We all know that you can’t do anything unless your grandma tells you to.”

“That’s enough,” Harry said. “I don’t know who you are but you leave other students alone.”

He laughed but Harry was spared from hearing anymore horrible things by the return of Professor McGonagall.

“We’re ready,” she told them, giving the red-hair boy a look.

Everyone got into line and followed the Professor out of the small chamber, back across the entrance hall, and finally into the Great Hall. Harry and Hermione forgot all about the insult that the red-hair boy had spewed when they saw the Great Hall. It was better then Harry and Hermione could have imagined. There were four tables, filled with students, and a longer table for the staff. Harry at once saw his father and smiled at him, his father returned it.

Professor McGonagall then put a stool and an old hat on top. It opened its mouth and started to sing.

“Oh, you may not think that I’m pretty,

But don’t judge on what you see,

I’ll eat myself if you can find

A smarter hat then me.

You can keep your bowler black,

Your top hats sleek and tall,

For I’m the Hogwarts Sorting Hat

And I can cap them all

There’s nothing hidden in your head

The Sorting Hat can’t see,

So try me on and I will tell you

Where you ought to be.

You might belong in Gryffindor,

Were dwell the brave at heart,

Their daring, nerve, and chivalry

Set Gryffndors apart;

You might belong in Hufflepuff,

Where they are just and loyal,

Those patient Hufflepuffs are true

And unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,

If you’ve a ready mind,

Where those of wit and learning,

Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in Slytherin

You’ll make your true friends,

Those cunning folks use any means

To achieve their ends.

So put me on! Don’t be afraid!

And don’t get in a flap!

You’re in safe hands (though I have none)

For I’m a thinking cap!”

The entire hall burst into cheers and the hat bowed to all four tables before going still. Professor McGonagall came forward with a scroll.

“When I call your name, you will come forth to be sorted,” she said. “Abbot, Hannah.”

A girl with pigtails came forth and the hat was placed on her head. “HUFFLEPUFF!” the hat shouted and Hannah went over to the Hufflepuff table among cheers.

“Bones, Susan.”

“HUFFLEPUFF!” the hat shouted again and Susan joined Hannah at the table.

“Boot, Mitchell,” was called next.

“RAVENCLAW!” the hat shouted and he went over to the Ravenclaw table.

He was soon joined by his brother and Mandy, who waved at Harry and Hermione as Lavender Brown became the first new Gryffindor. As each new students was sorted Harry wondered if he was going to be denied the chance to be apart of a house. He didn’t want Slytherin, his father made it clear that he needed ‘positive friends,’ and his father had told him that he deeply respected Ravenclaw because none of the students there were idiots. A boy named Draco Malfoy went into Gryffindor, looking very smug about it, and Harry disliked him at once.

“Potter, Harry,” McGonagall called.

Harry, who was so use to his sir name, Snape, didn’t even respond to the name Harry Potter. Finally his father stood up.

“Harry, your name was called,” he told Harry.

“No, it wasn’t,” Harry said. “She called Harry Potter I’m Harry Snape.”

McGonagall stared at Harry and then looked at his father.

“Fine, Snape, Harry.”

Harry went to the stool and the hat was placed on his head. At once he told the hat that he wanted to be in Ravenclaw and sure enough the hat placed him there. Hermione soon joined but that was only because his father had told the Ministry of Hermione’s new name so that there would be no confusion. The red hair boy that had insulted Hermione was soon discovered to be Ron Weasley.

He glared at Harry when he took his seat at the Slytherin table and then started talking to a very large boy. It was clear that those two were going to be good friends.

“Don’t worry about him,” Hermione told Harry.

“I’m not,” Harry said. “But he better not come near me.”

Hermione nodded in agreement.

When the feast ended, which included warnings from Dumbledore that the third floor on the right hand side was off limits, a warning about the Forbidden Forest, and that Filch didn’t want magic to be done between classes, everyone got up and left for their new house. Ravenclaw tower was guarded by a raven that asked a riddle.

What goes faster then a man, has two wheels, but is slower then a car?’ the eagle asked.

“A bicycle,” the Ravenclaw Prefect answered.

Correct,” the eagle answered and it allowed the students to enter.

The Ravenclaw Common Room was done in blue and bronze and Harry and Hermione loved it. What they also loved was the fact that the entire room was filled with books.

“Welcome to the Ravenclaw Common Room,” the Prefect said. “Everyone that wishes entrance must answer the riddle. If you do not then you’ll be locked out until someone comes along that does know the answer. Surprisingly most of our riddles are composed by Professor Snape so make sure that you don’t forget the answer.”

He then led the girls to their dorm and for the first time Harry wasn’t with Hermione

To be continued...
End Notes:
Once Again...To Be Continued.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1869