A Different Life For Harry by Black Banshee Girl
Summary: When Dumbledore and McGonagall drop Harry off at the Dursley's after Harry's family dies. Unknown to anyone Snape, his true father, takes him away to live with him at his house. Follow Harry's other life as he lives with Snape, is loved, and is sorted into a much different house then he would have if he had lived with the Dursleys. This story also includes Hermione as his adopted sister.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Resorting
Takes Place: 8 - Post Hogwarts (young adult Harry)
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 8880 Read: 25025 Published: 29 Jun 2009 Updated: 20 Mar 2010
Chapter 6 by Black Banshee Girl

Harry was very worried about Hermione for the next couple of days. When the potion had been given she had fallen asleep. He kept himself busy by doing his work but it was clear that he wanted to get back at Weasley and his stupid friends for harming Hermione.

“Are you alright, Harry,” Mandy asked.

“No, I’m not,” Harry told her, “Hermione didn’t do anything wrong and now she’s in the hospital wing and I don’t when she’ll wake up.”

“Well I’m sure that Madam Pomfrey will be able to cure her,” Mandy said, hopefully.

Harry wished that he could share her opinion.


“I don’t like this, Albus, I don’t like this one bit,” Severus told the Headmaster, “What right did Weasley have in hexing her?”

“I don’t know,” Dumbledore said, “But it shall be taken care of.”

Severus glared at him, “It better be taken care of or Weasley and his friends won’t be able to walk.”

He then stormed out of the Headmaster’s office, his anger trailing behind him.

Severus couldn’t focus on grading papers when he got back to his office. He kept thinking about the moment that he found Hermione, all alone in the burned out building and her parents dead. He had saved her life, vowed that nothing bad would happen, and now he had broken that vow. He felt like dirt. The only thing keeping him going was the fact that Harry needed him.

He got up and headed to his privet quarters. Something had to be done and it was his job to make sure that it happened. The next morning he summoned Weasley and his stupid friends to his office. He waited, and waited, and then fifteen minutes later they walked in with Flint at their heels.

“I see that the dumb trio decides to show up,” Severus told them, venom in his voice.

“They were eating at the Slytherin table,” Flint reported.

Severus rose up and approached them, “What you have done to my daughter is something that I will never forgive. I also don’t care that your parents, Weasley, were in the Order of the Phoenix. It’s clear that you learned how to hate from them and I won’t stand for it. I should hand you over to my son, and let him show you what I’ve taught him, but I don’t think that will help any.

“So I’m suspending you for the entire year.”

“What, you can’t do that,” Weasley said.

“Don’t tell me what I can and can’t do, Weasley,” Severus hissed. “I’m going to get my revenge but it won’t cost me my freedom. Go and pack your stinking bags and get out of here within the hour or I will hex you until there’s nothing left. And you better pray that my daughter wakes up or I will slit your throat.”

The three of them bolted.

Severus visited his daughter again and this time she was awake. When she asked how long she had been out he told her a few days. This gained a gasp from her.

“I’m behind,” she said.

“Don’t worry; Harry will give you the things that you missed,” Severus told her, hoping to calm her down.

“Thanks,” Hermione said, “Did Harry worry about me too much?”

Severus grinned at her, “He always worries about you too much,” he pointed out.

“True and thanks for caring, dad,” Hermione said.

“It was nothing,” Severus said and gave his daughter a huge hug.

Later that day he told Sirius and Remus what had happened. Both of them were mad that Hermione had been attacked.

“I can’t believe that Weasley’s parents fought against Voldemort (Severus flinched) and now their son is treating Hermione like all the other rotten Slytherins,” Sirius said and then quickly said, “No offence.”

“Don’t worry about offending me,” Severus told him, taking a drink of the milk that his daughter kept on telling him that he needed to drink more of.

“What I don’t get is why Weasley and his friends thought that you would approve of what they had done to Hermione,” Remus said.

“Because he’s sick and twisted,” Severus said, “He thinks that he can do whatever he wants. Now he’ll be behind on both of my children as well as the rest of the First Years.”

“Well I think it’s their entire fault,” Remus said, “They did the crime and now their going to have to go home and explain to their families why their not at Hogwarts.”

“Which I agree with,” Sirius said, “Now lets hope that none of them try and gun for your job, Severus.”


Harry was glad to see Hermione when she returned. Like their father had said he did have the work that she missed.

“Thanks, Harry,” Hermione said.

“Did Madam Pomfrey think that you’re not going to have any problems?” Harry asked, always concerned for her.

“She said the worst is over, which I’m glad, and she said that I shouldn’t faint or anything like that.”

“Thank the Gods,” Harry told her and Hermione smiled.

During Charms Professor Flitwick had them continue with their wand work. Harry helped Hermione out so that she wouldn’t look as though the attack had caused any problems. Hermione told him at the end of the lesson that she was grateful for the help.

“No problem, I don’t want anyone to tease you,” he said.

The month of September left Hogwarts and October started. Everyone in Ravenclaw was excited about the match between Gryffindor and Slytherin. Harry and Hermione both loved Quidditch and they both hoped that Slytherin lost. Naturally Harry and Hermione wouldn’t dare voice their opinion to their father; they didn’t want to hurt his feelings.

“So do you think that Flint will manage it this year?” Mandy asked Harry and Hermione.

“I doubt it,” Harry said, “I mean, their team is good but I think that Gryffindor might be better.”

“What does your Godfather think?” Terry asked them.

“He always sides with Gryffindor so he’ll think they have a chance.”

“Well someone will be right about it in the end,” Mandy pointed out and Harry and Hermione knew that she had a point.

Over the next few weeks, the school started to get excited about the Halloween Feast, but Harry wasn’t excited. Halloween was the day that his mum had died and he had almost been left with his abusive family. He wanted to spend Halloween alone and Hermione was more then happy to let him do that.

“You don’t have to go to the feast,” she told him, “I know that this is a bad time.”

“Thank,” Harry said and then went to tell his father his plans.

His father fully understood that Harry didn’t want to go to the feast and he told him that he would have the house elves bring him something from the Great Hall.

“Thanks for understanding,” Harry said.

Severus kissed his son on his head and then left to tell Dumbledore that Harry wasn’t coming to the feast.


“But he has to come,” Dumbledore told Severus when he said that Harry wasn’t coming to the feast.

“And why does he have to come?” Severus asked him.

“Because he’s the one that defeated Voldemort,” Dumbledore said, “Not having Harry at the feast is like-.”

“He wants to be alone,” Severus cut in, “Halloween isn’t fun for him and I’m not going to make him go to an event that he wishes not to attend. Have some respect for his wishes.”

“No, he will join the rest of the school for the Halloween Feast, that’s my final word.”

Severus felt like hexing the man but he knew that would land him in Azkaban.

  “Fine, but if he hates you then that’s on your head,” Severus told him

And Severus stormed out.


“He wants me to go to the stupid Halloween Feast,” Harry said.

“Yes, and I’m against it,” Severus said, “But the old coot won’t listen to anything anyone tells him.”

“Can you make him change his mind?” Sirius asked him.

“No, I can’t,” Severus said to him, “And trust me, I’ve tried.”

“Then I’ll leave,” Harry said, “I don’t want to go to the stupid Halloween Feast.”

“Are you sure that you want to do this?” Remus asked.

“Yes,” Harry answered.

“Then use the secret passage that I told you about years ago,” Severus said, “I’ll handle Dumbledore’s anger when it occurs.”

Harry thanked him and his father left.

Halloween came around and Harry, Sirius, and Remus snuck out of the castle. When Severus told his daughter that Harry had left the school she agreed that what Dumbledore was trying to do to Harry was wrong.

“I agree, Hermione, but Dumbledore sees Harry as something to shine through,” Severus said. “He forgets that Harry is still a child.”

“Well he needs to stop it because it’s getting really annoying,” Hermione said, “Will I see you at the Feast?”

“Of course,” Severus said.

“Good, because it wouldn’t be Halloween without you,” Hermione said.


Severus knew that Dumbledore was mad when Harry failed to appear at the Ravenclaw table. The Headmaster continued to glare at him until McGonagall asked him why he was looking at Severus like that.

“Nothing, Minerva,” Dumbledore lied which made Severus mad. “By the way, Severus, where is your charge at?”

“Don’t know, might be getting himself into trouble,” Severus lied as well.

“Well I hope not,” McGonagall said, “He’s such a bright boy.”

“True,” Severus agreed, “Very true.”

The Halloween Feast ended quickly with Professor Quirrell come in, screaming about a Troll. Severus left the Great Hall and went after Quirrell, knowing that he was just using the troll as a cover. Sure enough Severus got bitten by the dog but he kept Quirrell from getting to the stone. However later that night he decided that it was time to tell Sirius and Remus about the stone that was being hid in the school. He just hoped he wasn’t too late to prevent it from being taken successfully.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Note: Sorry about the huge delay but my beta didn’t give me Chapter 6 and so I was unable to post the beta version of the chapter. I’ll try and give it again to her but I’m posting this so that people won’t think that I gave up on the story. Let me know what you think of this version and if it needs to be corrected. I hope to have the beta version up soon.

I'll post the next chapter as soon as my beta has my other chapter for Harry, the Werewolf beta and sent to me.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1869