A Different Life For Harry by Black Banshee Girl
Summary: When Dumbledore and McGonagall drop Harry off at the Dursley's after Harry's family dies. Unknown to anyone Snape, his true father, takes him away to live with him at his house. Follow Harry's other life as he lives with Snape, is loved, and is sorted into a much different house then he would have if he had lived with the Dursleys. This story also includes Hermione as his adopted sister.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Resorting
Takes Place: 8 - Post Hogwarts (young adult Harry)
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 8880 Read: 25023 Published: 29 Jun 2009 Updated: 20 Mar 2010

1. Chapter 1 by Black Banshee Girl

2. Chapter 2 by Black Banshee Girl

3. Chapter 3 by Black Banshee Girl

4. Chapter 4 by Black Banshee Girl

5. Chapter 5 by Black Banshee Girl

6. Chapter 6 by Black Banshee Girl

Chapter 1 by Black Banshee Girl

July 31, 1979

Severus Snape had no idea why Lily, his Lily, wished to see him. He hoped that she hadn’t gotten hurt by anything that Black and Lupin were doing. When he entered St. Mungo he at once asked for Lily Potter and the woman told him where to go.

“Thanks,” Severus said, though he really didn’t mean it.

When he entered the room he saw that it was devoid of Potter, Lupin, and Black and so Severus didn’t have to worry about any of them coming around the corner and hexing him. Lily smiled at him when she saw him and he returned it.

“I want you to meet someone,” Lily told him and that’s when he noticed the baby in her arms.

The boy had just been born but he had short black hair, a pale complexion, and had Lily nose. Nothing about him indicated that James was even in his genes.

“Lily does-.”

“No,” Lily answered, “And he’ll never find out. Sev, I know that we fell out as friends and the one night that you were with me has given me a son. I’ll never forget what you did but James must never find out that you’re the father. It would kill him.”

Severus didn’t mind a small reminder of him around but he didn’t want Lily to get hurt.

“What do you want me to do?” Severus asked.

“If something should happen to us then I want you to take care of your son,” Lily told him. “I want him to grow up surrounded by magic but I don’t want him to believe that he’s better then everyone else. I don’t him to become another Malfoy.”

Severus wouldn’t want his son to be another Malfoy for all the money in the world.

“I promise that I’ll take care of our son if something should happen,” Severus vowed

Lily smiled at him. “Thanks but I think you better go. I know that Black will be back soon.”

Severus nodded, and kissing his son and Lily goodbye, he left.

The next night there was a raid on a small village near London. Muggles by the dozens were all killed and when the last Death Eater left Severus looked around, ready to kill any muggle that remained. Naturally Severus was getting tired of killing people just because they didn’t have any magic or killing muggleborns that everyone else thought had no right to live. He entered one abandoned house and heard the soft cries of a baby. Going to it he saw a small baby girl crying, and when he picked her up she stopped.

She had brown hair and brown eyes and it looked as though her parents had just brought her home from the hospital. It reminded him of his son and he knew that the Dark Lord must never find out that he let one muggle live. If this child had magic then she would be enrolled at Hogwarts, learn, and make him proud.

“Come on, I’m taking you home,” he told the baby girl and both of them left.

He named the girl Hermione, after an aunt that he once had, and he loved her greatly. He used various different kinds of charms to keep her location a secret and when he heard the prophecy he naturally went to the Dark Lord and told him the bit that he knew. It was only later that he discovered that the Dark Lord intended on going after the Potters.

“Please, let the mother live,” Severus begged.

“And why should I?” Voldemort asked.

“Because I’ve never asked for anything in my life,” Severus told him.

“I’ll think about it,” Voldemort told him and Severus knew that was a lie.

So he went to Dumbledore, the only man that Voldemort ever feared. Dumbledore didn’t trust him and Severus didn’t blame him, he didn’t even trust himself.

“And did Voldemort send you here?” Dumbledore asked.

“No, I’ve come on my own accord,” Severus answered. “Dumbledore, please you have to warn the Potters that the Dark Lord wants them dead.”

“Then I’ll warn them but you must do something for me in return,” Dumbledore told Severus.

“Anything,” Severus said.

“You must spy for me,” Dumbledore told him. “Find out what you know about what Tom is planning and then relay that to me.”

“I will, as long as Lily is safe,” Severus told him.

“And what about the boy and his father,” Dumbledore asked.

“Them too,” Severus said.

“Very well,” Dumbledore said.

October 31, 1980

However the Potter’s didn’t live and when the charm went off Severus left one-year-old Hermione with the family house elf. He raced to the Potter’s house to find it in ruins and a very distraught Sirius Black. Severus at once hexed him and he fell to the ground.

“What happened?” Severus demanded.

“Peter, Peter betrayed us all,” Sirius moaned. “I’m going after him, I’ll kill him.”

“Don’t be crazy, Black,” Severus told him. “If Peter did betray the Potters then he’s got a plan to make sure that someone is framed. You’ll do no one any good in Azkaban. Now where’s the boy?”

“Why should you care?” Sirius asked.

“Because I do have a heart, despite what people think,” Severus told him. “Now where’s the baby at?”

“Hagrid took him to be sent to live with the Dursley’s, Dumbledore’s orders,” Sirius told him.

“Then we have to get Harry back,” Severus told him.

Sirius stared at him in complete shock. “Are you nuts? Dumbledore will have all sorts of tracking charms on him just in-case he’s taken.”

“Then I guess we’ll have to be just a little nuts,” Severus told him. “Do you want your godson to be raised by muggles that I know, from experience, will treat him like a piece of dirt?”

“Of course not,” Sirius said.

“Then we’re taking him and I’ll figure out a way of removing the Tracking Charms,” Severus told him.

Both Severus and Sirius appeared on Privet Drive and watched Dumbledore, McGonagall, and Hagrid leaving. When he was sure that no one was around both men raced to the Dursley house, which at once revealed how heavily warded they were. However Severus knew blood wards well and told Sirius to stay back.

“Why?”

“Because they won’t let anyone in that isn’t blood related to Harry,” Severus told him.

“Then you can’t get through,” Sirius told him.

Severus gave him a grin. “Oh you’ll be surprised at what I can do,” he told Sirius and then walked right through the wards since he was blood related to Harry.

He picked Harry up and held him. This was the first time, in over a year, that he had even seen his son. He turned and walked right through the wards again and brought Harry to Sirius.

“Let’s get out of here before someone from the Ministry comes a calling,” Severus told Sirius and both men left.

They appeared at Severus manor and Severus called a house elf at once to take Harry up to his new room, the one that he would share with Hermione. He then wrote a note to Remus, asking him to come and have a small chat with him. Once the owl had left Sirius spoke.

“How were you able to get Harry out from under blood wards?” Sirius asked.

“I’m not going to tell you because if I did then you would hex me and the pain of losing people is too fresh to make it an even fight,” Severus told him.

Sirius considered this for a moment and then said, “Okay, I promise not to hex you but I want to know how you were able to do it.”

“Fine, I’m blood related to Harry,” Severus told him. “I’m his father!”

Sirius stared at him and then sat down. “Oh God, did James know?”

“No, Lily made sure of it,” Severus told him. “And I’m glad that I am. If I wasn’t related to him then I wouldn’t of been able to rescue him from what I know would have been abuse. Harry needs love, not someone calling him names like Petunia called Lily.”

“Does Remus know?”

“No and that’s why I need him,” Severus told Sirius. “I know that you and James were Animagi and I need both of you to keep secret that Harry is living with me. Dumbledore is sure to take him away from me so that he can live with his family. Also your still Harry’s godfather, I’m not taking away his mum’s friends just because we didn’t hit if off at school.”

Sirius looked at him. “How can you let me be his godfather after what I did?”

“Because we were all young and stupid,” Severus said. “And I was stupid to join the Dark Lord and take part in what he did. I’m now working for Dumbledore as Potions Master and I intend on making sure that Harry is the smartest student there.”

“Fine but no Dark Arts,” Sirius said.

“None, heck I don’t want to turn him into another Malfoy,” Severus said. “That was what I also promised Lily, along with taking care of my son and that little girl that I saved from death.”

“Little girl,” Sirius said blankly.

“Yes, little girl, her name is Hermione Snape and she’s a witch,” Severus told him. “A muggleborn witch but a witch none the less.”

Sirius seemed a little shocked that Severus would take in a muggleborn witch but Severus wasn’t shocked at his actions. Just then Remus appeared, looking a little confused. He saw Sirius and went over to him.

“Sirius, I heard that the Potters are dead,” Remus told him. “And that Harry’s off living with muggles.”

“He’s not,” Severus said and Remus jumped. “He’s living with me and Hermione.”

“Hermione,” Remus said blankly.

“A muggleborn witch that Snape saved,” Sirius told him.

“She’s the same age as Harry and I know they’ll hit it off,” Severus told Remus. “I was just telling Sirius that he can remain Harry’s godfather and you can visit, if you wish.”

“But I thought you hated us,” Remus said.

“No, but I don’t want that to get around,” Severus told him. “It might ruin my reputation.”

Sirius barked with laughter and both Severus and Remus grinned.

Over the next several years Harry and Hermione grew up together. Remus and Sirius came over when they could to make sure that Harry was alright. Even Sirius had to admit that Hermione was very smart but it was Harry that was learning almost as much as Hermione was. Severus got Harry and Hermione training wands and he taught them everything that they would be learning during their first year when they were just six.

They also learned Charms, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Herbology, Astronomy, and even Potions. By time Harry and Hermione were nine they knew everything about wizard history and Severus had to admit that Harry and Hermione weren’t going to be bad in the Potions classroom. Of course what helped was the fact that the tracking charms were gone and both of them were absent from the Ministry and even from Dumbledore.

Of course that hadn’t stopped Dumbledore from wondering where Harry was and he even told Severus that he hoped that Harry was safe.

“I’m sure that golden boy is fine,” Severus commented, faking his hate.

“He better be,” Dumbledore said.

When Harry and Hermione got their letters when the owls delivered them Remus and Sirius were there, visiting. Severus popped his head in and waved the letters. At once Harry and Hermione raced to get theirs.

“We got accepted!” Hermione squealed in delight, reading hers.

“Well we knew our Hermione would get in,” Sirius commented.

“Hay, what about me,” Harry complained.

“You too,” Sirius said, ruffling his hair.

“Well I think that we all need to go to Diagon Alley to get your things,” Severus told them which earned a round of cheers. “Want to come Lupin and Black?”

“I can’t, tonight is you know what,” Remus told them.

“Oh come on, Remus, it’s not like the whole thing is going to take all day and night,” Sirius said. “Our godchildren are getting their things.

“Fine,” Remus said. “But I want that potion of yours, Severus, when we get back.”

“Done,” Severus said.

Both Harry and Hermione wrote back to Hogwarts, telling them that they would come, and then they flooed to the Leaky Cauldron. When they arrived Severus cast a simple cleaning spell and both siblings were clean as before they went through the floo. Severus managed to get them past all the people and finally into Diagon Alley.

“Lets get to the bank and get your money and then we’ll get your uniforms,” Severus told his children.

Both Harry and Hermione nodded and the five of them went down the narrow alley to Gringotts.

“So what house are you hoping to get into,” Sirius asked.

“Ravenclaw,” Harry and Hermione both said at the same time.

Sirius looked hurt. “Hay, what about Gryffindor.”

“Sirius, don’t start on that,” Remus warned. “Their too smart for Gryffindor and you know it.”

“Fine, I think I can handle my godchildren being birds,” Sirius said and Severus almost snorted with laughter.

When they entered Gringotts the goblin took them to the Snape and Potter vault. Harry and Severus took some money from both vaults and then they left the bank. In Madam Malkin Robes for All Occasions Madam Malkin and an assistant helped Harry and Hermione onto stools and started to fit them. As they worked Severus looked at pointed hats and shoes.

“I can’t believe their going off to Hogwarts,” Remus commented.

“I know, it only seems yesterday,” Severus mused. “But all little children must grow up.”

“True, but it seems such a shame,” Remus said.

“That I’ll agree with,” Sirius said.

When Harry and Hermione were finished Severus paid for the uniforms and the group left. On their way to getting their trunks Severus ran into Molly Weasley. Severus wasn’t exactly a fan of the Weasley’s because they were made fun of due to the number of children they had. Severus wondered if Molly had ever heard of muggle birth control. He highly doubted that.

“Snape, what are you doing here?” Molly asked, giving him a look that told him that she didn’t like him out and about.

“My children are starting this term,” Severus told her, “Got a problem with that.”

“No but they better stay away from my children,” Molly warned.

“Hay, what’s wrong with Hermione and Harry?” Sirius asked, glaring at her.

Molly turned and faced him, “Nothing; just can’t imagine you hanging out with Snape.”

“I hang out with whomever I want,” Sirius countered. “So leave us alone.”

“Fine,” Molly snapped and she hurried off with her children.

“What’s wrong with her,” Hermione asked.

“Nothing, sweetie,” Remus said. “I think she hates everyone.”

“Well I don’t like her,” Harry said.

“Good boy,” Severus said. “I don’t like her either.”

The rest of the shopping was done without anymore word about Molly Weasley and her children. Naturally Severus got a shock when Ollivander told Harry that his core matched Lord Voldemort’s.

“The Dark Lord,” Harry said. “Why would you even sell me a wand that had the same core as that vial man?”

“Because that’s what I do,” Ollivander told him and he looked at Severus. “I see that you raised him to be a carbon copy of you.”

“Hay, leave daddy alone,” Hermione hissed. “Or I’ll hex you.”

“Like you could,” Ollivander told her.

“Ollivander just let us pay for our wands or I’m sure that Hermione will hex you for insulting me and my son.”

“Fine but I never want to see your children in my shop again,” Ollivander said, taking the money.

“Like there aren’t other wand makers out there,” Severus told him and the group left.

To be continued...
End Notes:
To Be Continued
Chapter 2 by Black Banshee Girl
Author's Notes:
If anyone likes to beta my story then I'll be happy. I just hope that this time around I got everything right.

On September 1 Severus took Harry and Hermione to Kings Cross Station so that they could take the Hogwarts Express to school. Remus and Sirius were there as well and all three men made sure that Harry and Hermione’s things were loaded in the corner of the compartment.

“I’ll see you both at Hogwarts,” Severus told them.

“How come you can’t join us?” Harry asked.

“Because Dumbledore doesn’t suspect that I took you from the Dursley’s, though after the sorting he will find out, and anyway the Hogwarts Express is for students, not staff.”

“Okay, fine,” Harry said, pouting.

Severus gave both his children a hug and then stepped off.

“You know they’ll be fine,” Remus told Severus as the Hogwarts Express moved and then disappeared around the corner.

“I know, but that doesn’t mean that I can’t worry about them,” Severus told him.

Sirius patted him on the shoulder and Severus disappeared with a loud ‘crack.’

Meanwhile Harry and Hermione were talking about what Hogwarts would be like. They had been told about each house, and what they stood for, but this would be the first time that they would meet other young witches and wizards from each house and really understand what they were all about. When a girl with short brown hair popped her head in she smiled at the both of them.

“Hello,” the girl said, “Can I sit here?”

“Sure,” Harry said and she entered followed by two boys.

They all loaded their things and then sat down.

“I’m Terry Boot,” said the boy. “This is my brother Mitchell.”

“I’m Mandy Brocklehurst,” the girl said, giving Harry a smile.

“I’m Harry Snape and this is my sister Hermione,” Harry said.

The smile faded at once from her face and Harry wondered what he had said. However Terry hit her in the side.

“Sorry about that, Harry, Mandy forgets that we haven’t been sorted yet,” Terry told him.

“Why, what’s wrong?” Hermione asked.

“Well we know a Snape and he teaches at Hogwarts,” Terry said. “And from what I’ve been told he hates any house other then Slytherin.”

“Well he doesn’t treat us like that,” Harry told him.

Terry and Mandy looked surprised.

“So did he adopt you or is he your father?”

“He’s my real dad,” Harry said. “Of course Hermione is adopted.”

“Wicked, so do you know any spells and such?” Mandy asked, forgetting that Harry was Snape’s son.

“Dad taught us loads of spells and stuff, nothing dark, and I know that he expects that we’ll end up in Ravenclaw at least.”

“That’s the house that we’re hoping to be in,” Mitchell said. “Of course it’s a house of logic and we don’t believe in all that bravery stuff.”

‘Thank goodness,” Harry said. “Dad says that people that don’t use their brains and just charge in will end up dead. He said that James didn’t have an ounce of brains in him.”

“Well don’t tell that to people around here. They really admire James for battling You-know-who,” Mitchell told said.

“Well I don’t,” Harry stated. “My dad’s a real hero, not James stupid Potter.”

When the Hogwarts Express pulled in everyone got off and the new students joined a huge man that Harry didn’t even know. He then led them to a line of little boats and they all climbed in, Hermione with Harry. Hogwarts castle looked wonderful, though not as wonderful as Harry’s house. When they arrived on the other side they all got off and the giant of a man led them up some stone steps and then finally to a pair of oak front doors. He knocked twice and then waited.

The doors opened and a very stern-looking witch appeared. She had her hair in a tight bun and was wearing emerald green robes. She was also wearing glasses which looked a little ridiculous on her.

“The first years, Professor McGonagall,” the man said.

“Thanks, Hagrid, I’ll take them from here,” McGonagall said and then moved aside to let the group pass.

They were in a large entrance hall that amazed and astounded Harry and Hermione. However they were led to a small chamber and the door was closed.

“Welcome to Hogwarts,” said Professor McGonagall, looking at the assembled group. “In a few minutes you will go through those doors and join your classmates. But before you can you must be sorted into your houses. They are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. Each has its own noble history and has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are here your house will be like your family inside Hogwarts. You’ll go to classes with the rest of your house, according to year, and you’ll spend your free time in the house common room. Triumphs will earn you points while any rule breaking and you’ll lose points. At the end of the year the house with the most points will be awarded the house cup, a great honor. I hope that you become a credit to whichever house becomes yours. Now you will wait here, quietly, until you’re needed.”

And she left the room.

“I hope I end up in Ravenclaw,” Hermione told Harry.

“Me too,” Harry said.

“I highly doubt that, Snape,” said a voice that Harry and Hermione had never heard before and couldn't place.

They both turned to see a red haired boy standing there.

“And how do you know that we won’t be in Ravenclaw?” Hermione asked.

“Because you’re a Snape!” the boy stated. “Of course you reek of dark magic so I don’t think that house will do.”

Several of the students all gasped but one spoke up.

“How dare you treat them like that,” he said, he was round-face and he looked mad.

“Shut up, Longbottom,” the boy said. “We all know that you can’t do anything unless your grandma tells you to.”

“That’s enough,” Harry said. “I don’t know who you are but you leave other students alone.”

He laughed but Harry was spared from hearing anymore horrible things by the return of Professor McGonagall.

“We’re ready,” she told them, giving the red-hair boy a look.

Everyone got into line and followed the Professor out of the small chamber, back across the entrance hall, and finally into the Great Hall. Harry and Hermione forgot all about the insult that the red-hair boy had spewed when they saw the Great Hall. It was better then Harry and Hermione could have imagined. There were four tables, filled with students, and a longer table for the staff. Harry at once saw his father and smiled at him, his father returned it.

Professor McGonagall then put a stool and an old hat on top. It opened its mouth and started to sing.

“Oh, you may not think that I’m pretty,

But don’t judge on what you see,

I’ll eat myself if you can find

A smarter hat then me.

You can keep your bowler black,

Your top hats sleek and tall,

For I’m the Hogwarts Sorting Hat

And I can cap them all

There’s nothing hidden in your head

The Sorting Hat can’t see,

So try me on and I will tell you

Where you ought to be.

You might belong in Gryffindor,

Were dwell the brave at heart,

Their daring, nerve, and chivalry

Set Gryffndors apart;

You might belong in Hufflepuff,

Where they are just and loyal,

Those patient Hufflepuffs are true

And unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,

If you’ve a ready mind,

Where those of wit and learning,

Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in Slytherin

You’ll make your true friends,

Those cunning folks use any means

To achieve their ends.

So put me on! Don’t be afraid!

And don’t get in a flap!

You’re in safe hands (though I have none)

For I’m a thinking cap!”

The entire hall burst into cheers and the hat bowed to all four tables before going still. Professor McGonagall came forward with a scroll.

“When I call your name, you will come forth to be sorted,” she said. “Abbot, Hannah.”

A girl with pigtails came forth and the hat was placed on her head. “HUFFLEPUFF!” the hat shouted and Hannah went over to the Hufflepuff table among cheers.

“Bones, Susan.”

“HUFFLEPUFF!” the hat shouted again and Susan joined Hannah at the table.

“Boot, Mitchell,” was called next.

“RAVENCLAW!” the hat shouted and he went over to the Ravenclaw table.

He was soon joined by his brother and Mandy, who waved at Harry and Hermione as Lavender Brown became the first new Gryffindor. As each new students was sorted Harry wondered if he was going to be denied the chance to be apart of a house. He didn’t want Slytherin, his father made it clear that he needed ‘positive friends,’ and his father had told him that he deeply respected Ravenclaw because none of the students there were idiots. A boy named Draco Malfoy went into Gryffindor, looking very smug about it, and Harry disliked him at once.

“Potter, Harry,” McGonagall called.

Harry, who was so use to his sir name, Snape, didn’t even respond to the name Harry Potter. Finally his father stood up.

“Harry, your name was called,” he told Harry.

“No, it wasn’t,” Harry said. “She called Harry Potter I’m Harry Snape.”

McGonagall stared at Harry and then looked at his father.

“Fine, Snape, Harry.”

Harry went to the stool and the hat was placed on his head. At once he told the hat that he wanted to be in Ravenclaw and sure enough the hat placed him there. Hermione soon joined but that was only because his father had told the Ministry of Hermione’s new name so that there would be no confusion. The red hair boy that had insulted Hermione was soon discovered to be Ron Weasley.

He glared at Harry when he took his seat at the Slytherin table and then started talking to a very large boy. It was clear that those two were going to be good friends.

“Don’t worry about him,” Hermione told Harry.

“I’m not,” Harry said. “But he better not come near me.”

Hermione nodded in agreement.

When the feast ended, which included warnings from Dumbledore that the third floor on the right hand side was off limits, a warning about the Forbidden Forest, and that Filch didn’t want magic to be done between classes, everyone got up and left for their new house. Ravenclaw tower was guarded by a raven that asked a riddle.

What goes faster then a man, has two wheels, but is slower then a car?’ the eagle asked.

“A bicycle,” the Ravenclaw Prefect answered.

Correct,” the eagle answered and it allowed the students to enter.

The Ravenclaw Common Room was done in blue and bronze and Harry and Hermione loved it. What they also loved was the fact that the entire room was filled with books.

“Welcome to the Ravenclaw Common Room,” the Prefect said. “Everyone that wishes entrance must answer the riddle. If you do not then you’ll be locked out until someone comes along that does know the answer. Surprisingly most of our riddles are composed by Professor Snape so make sure that you don’t forget the answer.”

He then led the girls to their dorm and for the first time Harry wasn’t with Hermione

To be continued...
End Notes:
Once Again...To Be Continued.
Chapter 3 by Black Banshee Girl
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I don’t own any of the Harry Potter characters and therefore I make no money.

When Harry woke up the next morning he joined Hermione and they both headed down to the Great Hall for breakfast. When they sat down at the Ravenclaw table they started on breakfast.

“So what do we have today?” Harry asked Hermione.

“Double Potions with the Hufflepuffs, Defense Against the Dark Arts and Herbology in the afternoon,” Hermione answered.

“Great, we have dad first thing in the morning,” Harry commented and continued to eat.

When they were finished eating they took their supplies down to the dungeons. The door was already opened and so the Ravenclaws all filed in and took their places. A few minutes later Professor Snape walked in and closed the door.

“You’re here to learn the subtle science and exact art of potion-making,” he began. “As there is hardly any foolish wand-waving many of you will find it hard to believe this is magic. Unlike some of the other houses I know that you’ll appreciate what is taught here and I expect the high standard that comes with Ravenclaw house. Now today we’re working on a simple potion to cure boils. The instructions are on the board you may begin.”

The Ravenclaws got to work at once on the potion but since Harry and Hermione had already learned this potion years ago they just started chopping, adding, stirring, waiting and adding more. By the end of the class almost all the Ravenclaws felt that their potion was good enough to count towards a good grade. When the class ended Harry, Hermione and the rest of the Ravenclaws left to head to Defense Against the Dark Arts. As Harry turned he saw his father smiling at him.

Defense Against the Dark Arts was taught by Professor Quirrell who stuttered too much to actually understand what he was saying. He also smelled, something that Harry would tell his father when he wrote to him. Also when he was in the room with him his scar hurt and he wondered if he should tell his father about that as well. When lunch came around Harry was very relieved that it didn’t have Quirrell in them.

“Are you alright, Harry?” Hermione asked.

“I don’t know,” Harry said. “I mean, I was in class and every time Quirrell came near me my scar hurt me.”

“Well I’m sure that dad will have some answer,” Hermione said brightly.

“I hope so,” Harry said.

When lunch ended Harry and Hermione hurried off to Herbology where they met Professor Sprout, a dumpy sort of witch that was good friends with their father. They learned about the different plants and what they were used for. The next day they had History of Magic, with Professor Binns, and Transfiguration with Professor McGonagall. During the Transfiguration lesson Harry and Hermione were the only ones that fully transfigured their match into a needle earning Ravenclaw twenty points a piece.

“Mr. Snape, can I talk with you,” Professor McGonagall asked when the lesson was over.

Harry looked at his sister and then left.

“Did I do something wrong during the lesson, Professor?” Harry asked.

“No,” McGonagall said. “I’m just wondering if things are going well between Severus and you.”

Harry thought that was an odd question. “Yes, everything’s fine. Why do you ask?”

“Well I was there when you were dropped off at the Dursley’s and now we find out that you were raised by Severus,” McGonagall said. “Not that I’m against that. I told Dumbledore that they were unstable people.”

“And Dumbledore didn’t like this view,” Harry said.

“No, he didn’t,” McGonagall said. “Well I’m glad that you’re doing fine and it seems that having a daughter around has helped.”

Harry didn’t know quiet what to make of that but before he could ask McGonagall let him go.

Harry headed back to Ravenclaw tower to pitch his books and then headed down to the Great Hall for lunch, However when he arrived on the first floor he noticed several students crowded around, muttering to themselves. When Harry approached he was shocked to see Hermione with a bleeding arm.

“What happened?” Harry asked.

“Someone hexed your sister,” Neville said.

Harry at once was at her side and helped her to her feet. “I’m taking her to see someone.”

“You’ll be talking about Madam Pomfrey,” said one of the students. “I’ll show you where she’s at.”

“Thanks,” Harry said and he was led away.

When they entered the hospital wing Madam Pomfrey at once settled Hermione into a bed and then healed her wounds. As she worked Harry wondered who would hex a Ravenclaw and Madam Pomfrey wondered why as well.

“I need to tell the Headmaster about this,” Madam Pomfrey told Harry.

“Do you think he’ll be able to help?” Harry asked her.

“I think so,” Madam Pomfrey said and was gone.

The rest of the day was spent with Dumbledore asking Hermione who had attacked her. At once she told him that Ron and his three friends had done it. Harry felt enraged but thankfully his father was there to put a hand on his shoulder.

“I don’t like this, Albus,” Madam Pomfrey said. “It’s like Severus all over again.”

 “I know and I will question him about it,” Dumbledore said.

“That would include all of Ron Weasley’s little friends,” Harry’s father added.

“Of course,” Dumbledore said.

Later that night Hermione re-joined the Ravenclaws and everyone thought it was a shame that Ron had done it. However the next morning everyone in Ravenclaw house was stunned to hear that Ron and his friends had gotten detention and fifty points taken off for each of them. Harry thought this was fair and so did a lot of others in his house.

“Do you think Snape had anything to do with this,” said Terry Boot.

“I know he does,” Harry said. “So want to go down and see Ron and his friends having to clean cauldrons or something?”

“No, let you do it but report to me what happens,” Terry said.

“No problem,” Harry said and he left Ravenclaw tower.

Ron Weasley and his friends arrived for their detention. Ron didn’t think it was fair that Snape had been able to take points off. He was supposed to be favoring his house not making them lose the Quidditch Cup.

“We need to make them pay,” Ron had told Vincent Crabbe in the Slytherin common room.

“Any idea, Ron,” Vincent had asked.

“Don’t worry, I’ll get Fred and George to help us out,” Ron said. “They know a lot of nasty curses.”

“Can we watch?” Gregory Goyle asked.

Ron smiled nastily. “Oh I believe that both of you can,” Ron told them.

Both of his friends smiled nastily.

Ron was still thinking about this as him and his three friends entered. Snape glared at them and then pointed to a stack of cauldrons that needed to be cleaned.

“No magic, Weasley, Crabbe, Goyle, and Jenkins,” Snape told them.

“Fine,” Ron said and then mentally he said. “Oh I can’t wait to get back at you for what you’ve done.”

To be continued...
End Notes:
I've got a beta for this story and as soon as I can figure out how this works then you'll have improved chapters. Thanks everyone.
Chapter 4 by Black Banshee Girl
Author's Notes:
I would like to thank jessirose85 for reviewing my story. At least I think that’s your screen name.

Harry and Hermione were happy when Friday came and went. When Hedwig delivered a letter to Harry, Harry thought that it was his father writing to him. He was shocked when he saw that it was from a man named Hagrid.

“I wonder what he wants,” Hermione wondered.

“Me too,” Harry said and he opened the letter.

Dear Harry,

I hope that you’re up to meeting me. I’ve heard many things about you and I’m looking forward to finally seeing you. Send a reply back soon with your owl.

Hagrid.

“Do you think we should go?” Harry asked his sister.

“I don’t know,” Hermione said. “Though if he wants to truly meet you then we shouldn’t keep him waiting.”

And so Harry wrote back to Hagrid, telling him that he would meet him at one, and then Hedwig flew away.

Around one Harry and Hermione left the castle and headed to the hut that Hagrid lived in. They were careful in keeping away from any of the Slytherins and didn’t have any intention of meeting any of the Gryffindors. When Harry knocked on the door they waited and soon the large face of Hagrid appeared on the other side of the door.

“Come in, Harry,” Hagrid said and moved aside to let both Harry and Hermione pass.

Hagrid’s hut was large with a large bed that had a handmade quilt and several traps to catch game. Harry had seen his father going on a hunt but he always used dogs and he always came back with something that their house elf could cook up. Hagrid introduced himself to Hermione and then made tea and served them cake.

“So how do you like Hogwarts, Harry?” Hagrid asked.

“It’s great,” Harry answered and then took a sip of tea.

“Well I’m glad you’re having fun. So having any problems with Ron Weasley?”

Harry gave him a dark look. “He hexed my sister so, yes, I’m having problems with him.”

Hagrid shook his head. “They use to be an alright family but then Mr. Weasley got tired of not getting any of the respect that he believed he was supposed to get. Almost all the Weasleys believe in blood purity and getting ahead.”

“Stupid,” Harry commented.

“That I’ll agree with,” Hagrid said and then turned to Hermione. “Well you’re the first muggleborn witch in the Snape family,” he commented.

“Yes and dad says that my magic is just as good as anyone else’s,” Hermione told him.

“I’m not saying that it isn’t,” Hagrid said. “However I was surprised when Draco Malfoy got sorted into Gryffindor. His family has all been in Slytherin.”

“Well he hasn’t gotten a Howler yet,” Harry pointed out. “So maybe his father doesn’t know.”

“I wouldn’t count on that,” Hagrid countered. “I’m sure that Lucius is waiting for Draco to come home before starting on him.”

“I feel sorry for him,” Hermione stated. “I mean being in fear that your father isn’t going to accept where the hat put you.”

Hagrid nodded but said nothing.

When Harry and Hermione left Hagrid’s hut they were both thinking about Draco Malfoy and what they thought might happen when he got home for his Christmas break. As they entered the Entrance Hall they overheard Dumbledore talking to their father.

“Someone tried to steal the stone,” Dumbledore said.

“I highly doubt that they would have gotten far, Headmaster,” Snape said. “Did Hagrid get it?”

“Of course and that’s why I need you,” Dumbledore told Snape.

“You know that I will always be here to help you,” Snape stated.

“I know, my old friend,” Dumbledore said and then their footsteps faded and then there was only silence.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Sorry about the short chapter but I wanted to at least have Hagrid’s meeting and maybe a little about the stone.

I would like to thank everyone that reviewed. Sorry about the wait but my beta's father was in the hospital.
Chapter 5 by Black Banshee Girl

Harry and Hermione both looked at the essays that Professors Binns and McGonagall wanted done. They had finished them a few days ago but Harry and Hermione wanted to use the time to make sure that they had gotten them right.

“I don’t know why we have to know the werewolf code of conduct,” Harry said.

“Because it’s important and dad would kill us if we didn’t make sure that we had finished it,” Hermione pointed out.

“True but I still think the homework was pointless,” Harry said, his eyes going over what he had written.

Overall the first week at Hogwarts had been easy, thanks to all the training that their father had given them. They were going to have Flying Lessons next week and Harry wasn’t sure how he would do with that. It wasn’t something that you could learn in a book. However Harry and Hermione joined the other Ravenclaws for their first flying lesson which was also with the Hufflepuff’s. Madam Hooch was waiting on them and tapped her foot when the students took too long.

“Come along and stand next to a broom,” she told them.

Harry looked down at his broom and saw it was very old. He had heard a great deal about the school brooms and Terry Boot complained that some of them flew too slow or wobbled when you flew to high. Another Ravenclaw said that some of the brooms flew to the left and Harry wondered if his would do any of those things. He hoped not.

“Now place your right hand over your broom and say ‘up,’ Hooch ordered.

“UP!” Harry said and his broom jumped into his hands at once.

As for Hermione it took several tries before her broom finally jumped into her hand.

“Now swing your leg over to mount your broom,” Hooch said.

One by one each student mounted their broom but it was clear that some of the girls didn’t like the idea that the only thing not showing off their bum was their skirts. Deep down Harry wished that girls could wear pants instead of a skirt.

“Now when I count to three you will kick off the ground, hard, hover for a few moments and then lean forward and touch back down,” Hooch instructed, “One…two…three.”

She blasted her whistle and the students took off one by one.

Unknown to anyone Ron Weasley and his three friends were watching the whole Flying Lesson. He smirked when Hermione had trouble staying on her broom and Madam Hooch had to help.

“Well the little Mudblood is having trouble,” Ron sneered.

“What are we going to do?” Crabbe asked.

Ron turned to him. “We’ll make her pay and then we’ll go after the brother.”

“But what if Snape finds out?” Goyle asked.

Ron smirked at him as if to say ‘he’ll never find out.’ “Don’t worry; I’ll make sure that we don’t lose any points.”

Unknown to them someone else was watching. Draco Malfoy knew that Weasley and his three friends were up to something. Not being in Slytherin he didn’t think that he had to keep his mouth shut about anything. Hermione Snape might not be a pureblood but she didn’t need to be the target of the Weasley family pranks and their stupid belief that they were better then everyone else. He then turned his attention in listening in on whatever Ron was going to do next.

“This Conjunctivitus Curse will be perfect,” Ron went on. “We’ll cast it when Snape’s daughter is alone.”

“Ooh, that will be one nasty curse,” Pansy Parkinson said.

“Darn right it will,” Ron said and with that information Draco hurried away to warn someone.

The Flying Lesson wasn’t exactly what you call ‘good’ but it was at least a little better then Binns class. Hermione had managed to stay on her broom but only with the help of Madam Hooch. Madam Hooch wanted them all to practice during their free time and the first person that would get Madam Hooch’s personal touch would be Hermione.

“She will stay behind for at least a half an hour right now until she can stay on that broom,” Madam Hooch told Harry when both of them tried to leave.

Harry wanted to protest but he knew it would be no use.

“I’ll see you at dinner,” Hermione told him.

“Okay, fine,” Harry said and he left with the rest of the class.

Half an hour later Hermione was glad when the lesson had ended. Her bum hurt from the broom and she was sure that it was due to the fact that the Cushioning Charm was ancient, like the broom. Hermione hurried towards the castle and that’s when something came at her which turned out to be a pair of arms attached to the most hideous student that she had ever seen.

“Well look what we’ve caught, Crabbe,” said the jeering voice of Ron Weasley.

Hermione struggled to get away but that didn’t help so she glared at him.

“What should we do to her?” Crabbe asked.

Ron grinned at him. “Oh I think that you know what I’m planning,” Ron told him and then pulled out his wand. “Conjunctivitus.”

Hermione screamed as the curse hit her and Crabbe let her go. They all laughed at her and then Ron hit her in the stomach, making her go down. With another kick the four of them left.

When Draco Malfoy and Professor McGonagall showed up (it had taken forever for Draco to find his Head of House) Hermione had already been cursed. Hermione was taken to Madam Pomfrey where the nurse made a potion to get rid of her pink eye. Harry was fuming when he arrived and when Snape showed up and heard what had happened he vowed that Weasley and his stupid friends were going to face his wrath.

To be continued...
End Notes:
The Conjunctivitis Curse is one that I found on Mugglenet.com and it’s listed as the curse that Krum used during the first task of the Tri-wizard Tournament. Thanks for your reviews and I hope that I read more of them.
Chapter 6 by Black Banshee Girl

Harry was very worried about Hermione for the next couple of days. When the potion had been given she had fallen asleep. He kept himself busy by doing his work but it was clear that he wanted to get back at Weasley and his stupid friends for harming Hermione.

“Are you alright, Harry,” Mandy asked.

“No, I’m not,” Harry told her, “Hermione didn’t do anything wrong and now she’s in the hospital wing and I don’t when she’ll wake up.”

“Well I’m sure that Madam Pomfrey will be able to cure her,” Mandy said, hopefully.

Harry wished that he could share her opinion.


“I don’t like this, Albus, I don’t like this one bit,” Severus told the Headmaster, “What right did Weasley have in hexing her?”

“I don’t know,” Dumbledore said, “But it shall be taken care of.”

Severus glared at him, “It better be taken care of or Weasley and his friends won’t be able to walk.”

He then stormed out of the Headmaster’s office, his anger trailing behind him.

Severus couldn’t focus on grading papers when he got back to his office. He kept thinking about the moment that he found Hermione, all alone in the burned out building and her parents dead. He had saved her life, vowed that nothing bad would happen, and now he had broken that vow. He felt like dirt. The only thing keeping him going was the fact that Harry needed him.

He got up and headed to his privet quarters. Something had to be done and it was his job to make sure that it happened. The next morning he summoned Weasley and his stupid friends to his office. He waited, and waited, and then fifteen minutes later they walked in with Flint at their heels.

“I see that the dumb trio decides to show up,” Severus told them, venom in his voice.

“They were eating at the Slytherin table,” Flint reported.

Severus rose up and approached them, “What you have done to my daughter is something that I will never forgive. I also don’t care that your parents, Weasley, were in the Order of the Phoenix. It’s clear that you learned how to hate from them and I won’t stand for it. I should hand you over to my son, and let him show you what I’ve taught him, but I don’t think that will help any.

“So I’m suspending you for the entire year.”

“What, you can’t do that,” Weasley said.

“Don’t tell me what I can and can’t do, Weasley,” Severus hissed. “I’m going to get my revenge but it won’t cost me my freedom. Go and pack your stinking bags and get out of here within the hour or I will hex you until there’s nothing left. And you better pray that my daughter wakes up or I will slit your throat.”

The three of them bolted.

Severus visited his daughter again and this time she was awake. When she asked how long she had been out he told her a few days. This gained a gasp from her.

“I’m behind,” she said.

“Don’t worry; Harry will give you the things that you missed,” Severus told her, hoping to calm her down.

“Thanks,” Hermione said, “Did Harry worry about me too much?”

Severus grinned at her, “He always worries about you too much,” he pointed out.

“True and thanks for caring, dad,” Hermione said.

“It was nothing,” Severus said and gave his daughter a huge hug.

Later that day he told Sirius and Remus what had happened. Both of them were mad that Hermione had been attacked.

“I can’t believe that Weasley’s parents fought against Voldemort (Severus flinched) and now their son is treating Hermione like all the other rotten Slytherins,” Sirius said and then quickly said, “No offence.”

“Don’t worry about offending me,” Severus told him, taking a drink of the milk that his daughter kept on telling him that he needed to drink more of.

“What I don’t get is why Weasley and his friends thought that you would approve of what they had done to Hermione,” Remus said.

“Because he’s sick and twisted,” Severus said, “He thinks that he can do whatever he wants. Now he’ll be behind on both of my children as well as the rest of the First Years.”

“Well I think it’s their entire fault,” Remus said, “They did the crime and now their going to have to go home and explain to their families why their not at Hogwarts.”

“Which I agree with,” Sirius said, “Now lets hope that none of them try and gun for your job, Severus.”


Harry was glad to see Hermione when she returned. Like their father had said he did have the work that she missed.

“Thanks, Harry,” Hermione said.

“Did Madam Pomfrey think that you’re not going to have any problems?” Harry asked, always concerned for her.

“She said the worst is over, which I’m glad, and she said that I shouldn’t faint or anything like that.”

“Thank the Gods,” Harry told her and Hermione smiled.

During Charms Professor Flitwick had them continue with their wand work. Harry helped Hermione out so that she wouldn’t look as though the attack had caused any problems. Hermione told him at the end of the lesson that she was grateful for the help.

“No problem, I don’t want anyone to tease you,” he said.

The month of September left Hogwarts and October started. Everyone in Ravenclaw was excited about the match between Gryffindor and Slytherin. Harry and Hermione both loved Quidditch and they both hoped that Slytherin lost. Naturally Harry and Hermione wouldn’t dare voice their opinion to their father; they didn’t want to hurt his feelings.

“So do you think that Flint will manage it this year?” Mandy asked Harry and Hermione.

“I doubt it,” Harry said, “I mean, their team is good but I think that Gryffindor might be better.”

“What does your Godfather think?” Terry asked them.

“He always sides with Gryffindor so he’ll think they have a chance.”

“Well someone will be right about it in the end,” Mandy pointed out and Harry and Hermione knew that she had a point.

Over the next few weeks, the school started to get excited about the Halloween Feast, but Harry wasn’t excited. Halloween was the day that his mum had died and he had almost been left with his abusive family. He wanted to spend Halloween alone and Hermione was more then happy to let him do that.

“You don’t have to go to the feast,” she told him, “I know that this is a bad time.”

“Thank,” Harry said and then went to tell his father his plans.

His father fully understood that Harry didn’t want to go to the feast and he told him that he would have the house elves bring him something from the Great Hall.

“Thanks for understanding,” Harry said.

Severus kissed his son on his head and then left to tell Dumbledore that Harry wasn’t coming to the feast.


“But he has to come,” Dumbledore told Severus when he said that Harry wasn’t coming to the feast.

“And why does he have to come?” Severus asked him.

“Because he’s the one that defeated Voldemort,” Dumbledore said, “Not having Harry at the feast is like-.”

“He wants to be alone,” Severus cut in, “Halloween isn’t fun for him and I’m not going to make him go to an event that he wishes not to attend. Have some respect for his wishes.”

“No, he will join the rest of the school for the Halloween Feast, that’s my final word.”

Severus felt like hexing the man but he knew that would land him in Azkaban.

  “Fine, but if he hates you then that’s on your head,” Severus told him

And Severus stormed out.


“He wants me to go to the stupid Halloween Feast,” Harry said.

“Yes, and I’m against it,” Severus said, “But the old coot won’t listen to anything anyone tells him.”

“Can you make him change his mind?” Sirius asked him.

“No, I can’t,” Severus said to him, “And trust me, I’ve tried.”

“Then I’ll leave,” Harry said, “I don’t want to go to the stupid Halloween Feast.”

“Are you sure that you want to do this?” Remus asked.

“Yes,” Harry answered.

“Then use the secret passage that I told you about years ago,” Severus said, “I’ll handle Dumbledore’s anger when it occurs.”

Harry thanked him and his father left.

Halloween came around and Harry, Sirius, and Remus snuck out of the castle. When Severus told his daughter that Harry had left the school she agreed that what Dumbledore was trying to do to Harry was wrong.

“I agree, Hermione, but Dumbledore sees Harry as something to shine through,” Severus said. “He forgets that Harry is still a child.”

“Well he needs to stop it because it’s getting really annoying,” Hermione said, “Will I see you at the Feast?”

“Of course,” Severus said.

“Good, because it wouldn’t be Halloween without you,” Hermione said.


Severus knew that Dumbledore was mad when Harry failed to appear at the Ravenclaw table. The Headmaster continued to glare at him until McGonagall asked him why he was looking at Severus like that.

“Nothing, Minerva,” Dumbledore lied which made Severus mad. “By the way, Severus, where is your charge at?”

“Don’t know, might be getting himself into trouble,” Severus lied as well.

“Well I hope not,” McGonagall said, “He’s such a bright boy.”

“True,” Severus agreed, “Very true.”

The Halloween Feast ended quickly with Professor Quirrell come in, screaming about a Troll. Severus left the Great Hall and went after Quirrell, knowing that he was just using the troll as a cover. Sure enough Severus got bitten by the dog but he kept Quirrell from getting to the stone. However later that night he decided that it was time to tell Sirius and Remus about the stone that was being hid in the school. He just hoped he wasn’t too late to prevent it from being taken successfully.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Note: Sorry about the huge delay but my beta didn’t give me Chapter 6 and so I was unable to post the beta version of the chapter. I’ll try and give it again to her but I’m posting this so that people won’t think that I gave up on the story. Let me know what you think of this version and if it needs to be corrected. I hope to have the beta version up soon.

I'll post the next chapter as soon as my beta has my other chapter for Harry, the Werewolf beta and sent to me.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1869