Sparks Will Fly by Pandora
Summary: When Lily and James' will is discovered in the ruins of Godric's Hollow, what secrets will be revealed? Will two sworn enemies be able to lay aside their differences for the sake of a boy who desperately wants a family?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: Dumbledore, Hagrid, Hermione, Remus, Ron, Sirius, .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Azkaban Character, Runaway, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 4th summer
Warnings: None
Prompts: Sparks Will Fly
Challenges: Sparks Will Fly
Series: None
Chapters: 15 Completed: No Word count: 64748 Read: 97487 Published: 04 Jul 2009 Updated: 16 Jul 2012
The Man in the Mirror by Pandora
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the long delay. Real Life bites!

All characters belong to J.K. Rowling.

Thanks ever-so-much to my brilliant beta, ObsidianEmbrace.

Thanks too, to my good friend Kristeh.

They are both briliant authors-go check out their stories! (Slave Child by Kristeh, and A Life More Ordinary by Obsidian Embrace)

A loud cackle greeted his ears, as Remus jabbed his wand into his twin's midsection.

"Is that any way to treat an old friend?"

"Who are you?" Remus demanded.

"I'm hurt Moony."

"How do you know my name?"

"The same way that I know that Steak and Kidney Pie is your favourite meal, you like to sleep on your left side, you have a birth-mark on your right buttock, and you count down the days till the next full moon on your calendar."

The colour drained from Remus' scarred face.

"Sirius?" he whispered.

"One and the same." he answered with a crooked grin that faltered when Remus, instead of lowering his wand, shoved it even harder into Sirius' belly.

Conflicting emotions warred within Remus, as he clutched the handle of his wand so tightly, that his knuckles turned white. A part of him wanted to grasp the man, whom was closer to him than his own brother, by his bony shoulders, and never let him disappear again, and another part of him, felt his nostrils flare with irritation; how dare the man send him on a wild goose chase? How dare the man betray his best friends like that? How dare the man leave him alone; not when he'd already lost James and Lily.

But then a gnawing fury began to make his blood boil.

Sirius had betrayed James and Lily, left Peter for dead; leaving only a bloodied finger. This was the same man that James, he and Peter shared their deepest secrets with; the same man that he'd trusted with his very life, and Sirius had betrayed them all.

"Remus?" Sirius' eyes widened in surprised horror.

"You betrayed James and Lily, and killed Peter," Remus said in a low, guttural voice. "Give me one good reason not to turn you over to the Dementors."

"Remus please, let me explain."

"There is no explanation. You are a traitor," Remus said in a deadly, cold tone. His eyes glittered. "As a matter of fact," he said, twirling the wand as he shoved it even further into the folds of Sirius' stomach. "I think that the Dementors are too good for you. You deserve the same fate as James, Lily and Peter."

The hair on Sirius' arms stood on end; he was again reminded of the beast that lurked within the kind, gentle man who was his boyhood friend. Remus could easily snap his scrawny neck in two, and ask questions later.

"Remus, please..." Sirius gasped for breath. "They changed secret keepers," he said, his throat constricting from lack of oxygen.

"What?"

"I wasn't the secret keeper," Sirius croaked.

Remus growled. "I don't believe you! You're lying."

"I swear it's true. Please..." Sirius pleaded.

Remus clutched Sirius by the collar, and began to drag him towards the door.

"I believe that we'll let the Dementors decide if you're telling the truth," Remus growled.

He yanked open the door; and got halfway down the corridor, when he felt Sirius' thin body, wrack with sobs.

"They were my best friends. Please believe me Moony," he pleaded. "We were best mates. How could you ever think that I would betray them?"

Remus stopped abruptly

A niggle of doubt began to creep into his gut.

Sirius could see a shadow of doubt cross over Remus' face.

"Are you going to turn me in?"

Remus shook his head. "I don't know," he said gruffly, lowering his wand slowly.

Sirius swooshed out the breath that he hadn't realised he'd been holding in. It wasn't a pleasant feeling, wondering if you're best friend was about to turn you over to the Dementors. Clammy, cold prickles of fear tingled up his spine, just thinking about those decrepit creatures. How he had survived twelve years in Azkaban, was a testament to Sirius' strength of will.

"But you have a lot of explaining to do, Sirius," Remus said sternly.

"I know," Sirius whispered.

He clutched desperately at the sleeve of Remus' tattered robes; his voice trembled with desperation.

"But I swear that I didn't betray Lily and James."

Remus wanted so much to believe him. Doubts had been gnawing at him since that fateful day. So many things didn't add up; there were just too many discrepancies. But, Sirius "had" been the secret keeper! He was lying! Wasn't he?

Remus sighed.

"I want to believe you..."

"I know that my actions haven't really given you a reason to, but I promise that if you give me a chance to explain... that's all I want. And if you still doubt me, then I'll turn myself in," Sirius pleaded.

Remus nodded.

His enhanced hearing detected the distant clacking of heels echoing off the high walls of the castle.

"Come," he said, as he clasped Sirius' upper arm, pulling him roughly towards his quarters. "It wouldn't do to be seen talking to myself."

HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP

"Well? I'm waiting for an explanation, Mr. Potter," Snape said, as he tapped his long fingers on the desktop.

The lump in Harry's throat refused to dissolve.

He stared wide-eyed up at his, now irate Professor. Those glittering black eyes just seem to bore a hole through him. Think fast Harry, he told himself.

"I told you sir. I was up in the Tower the whole time."

Snape leant down further, until his large hands were on either side of the chair that Harry was sitting in.

Harry felt like a fly caught in a spider's web.

"I do not tolerate liars, Mr. Potter," Snape said in a dangerous tone. "Now, supper is going to be served in the Great Hall soon, and you can ill afford to skip a meal, so I suggest that you clear your guilty conscience and admit that you've yet again broken school rules which are in place for your safety, and went to Hogsmeade without permission."

Harry's heart raced faster.

"I-"

Frantic knocking saved Harry from having to come up with a plausible lie as to his whereabouts this afternoon.

A small, auburn-haired girl, with large blue eyes peeked her head through the crack, as the Potions Master opened the door.

"I'm sorry to interrupt sir," the small Slytherin first-year said timidly, "but Headmaster Dumbledore wishes to see you immediately in his chambers."

Snape clucked his tongue impatiently.

The headmaster had the worst timing; it was as if that he knew that his Golden Boy was in trouble, and had come to rescue him from his well-deserved punishment, yet again.

"Thank you Miss Barrington. You may tell the headmaster that I shall be there shortly."

"Yes sir."

Snape whipped his head around, nailing Harry with his dark eyes. He pointed a long finger at him.

"You and I are not finished with this conversation. Not by a long shot," he said threateningly.

The hairs on Harry's arm stood on end. At least he would have more time to come up with a good story.

"You may proceed to dinner, but you and I will be taking up this conversation where we left off, young man. Of that you may be assured."

Harry gulped.

That was a threat, not a promise.

HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP

Remus gripped the counter top, digging his nails into the wood.

"Peter Pettigrew?" he whispered. "Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure," Sirius said, through gritted teeth. "James and Lily changed secret keepers at the last moment. They were sure that the change would keep them safer—that no one would ever suspect." He slammed his hand down on the table, rattling the tea-pot sitting in the middle. Anguish wrenched his heart. "He was their friend."

"I know," Remus whispered. "But he'll pay. I promise you that."

Sirius nodded. "Harry isn't safe," he said, his voice choked with emotion.

Remus yanked the chair out from under the table, and poured himself some tea. "No, he isn't."

The polyjuice was beginning to wear off; it was an odd combination, Sirius' blue eyes twinkling back from half of his own scarred face.

"He's a great kid, Remus. He's got Lily's eyes," Sirius said in a strangled voice. "Odd though," he said raking his hands through his straggly hair. He reminds me of James in many ways, but he doesn't look all that much like him. The cheek bones are a little too sharp; the hair a little too straight."

Remus gave him an odd look.

A sharp rap at the door, however, brought a halt to their conversation.

"Quickly," Remus whispered, "go hide. Can't have anyone see you." Once Sirius was safely out of sight, he opened his door. "Harry," he said, looking fondly down at his best friend's son.

"I was wondering if I could talk to you a moment."

Remus looked back anxiously towards the hallway.

"I'm sorry Harry, but it's not the best of times."

Harry swallowed his disappointment. "Oh," he said softly. "That's alright. I'll talk to you later."

A gentle hand landed on Harry's shoulder as he turned to leave.

"Wait. Have you had dinner yet?" Remus asked.

"No sir. Not yet."

Remus looked down on the thin teenager. Sirius was right; with those large, expressive emerald eyes, and his soft, pale skin, framed by silky black hair that rippled with subtle auburn highlights, there was no doubt that Harry was Lily's son, but while there was a slight resemblance to James', with his signature round frames on Harry's young face, the resemblance ended there. Harry's cheekbones were chiseled finely, the nose was slightly longer, and Harry's lips were not as full as James' were.

"Well, why don't you go eat dinner, and come back to my quarters, at let us say eight, and we'll have tea together?

Harry smiled up into Remus' soft brown eyes. "That would be great sir."

Once he was gone, Sirius slipped out of hiding. Remus stared at him. "Sirius? Are you all right?"

"He should be with me," Sirius said, swallowing the lump in his throat. He fell down heavily into the chair, and leant his head in his hands.

Remus looked at him questioningly.

"Did you know that that big tub of lard, Dursley, used James' son as a punching bag?"

Remus' breath hitched in his throat.

"He what?"

Remus could feel his animal senses bubble up inside him; he wanted to rip the man apart with his bare hands. Dursley could count himself lucky that it was not the full-moon, because Remus was sure, that even with Wolfsbane to temper his animalistic urges, he'd not be able to stop himself.

A brittle laugh erupted from Sirius' throat. "They placed him with Snape, of all people. Can you believe it? Snape has been given guardianship of my godson."

Remus shook his head at the irony of James' son being placed with Snape. James would have turned over in his grave.

"Harry did admit to me that Snape is treating him better than he used to. He'd damned well better be treating my godson well, or he'll haveme to answer to."

Sirius growled in frustration.

"Damn it Remus, I'm the one who should be protecting Harry. Instead, I'm the one they're protecting him from."

"We'll prove your innocence Sirius. I promise. And then, you and Harry can be a family," he promised.

HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP

Students scattered in every direction; from first years to seventh years, students learnt very quickly to stay out of Professor's Snape's way, when his pale face was tight with a scowl, and his black robes billowed behind him, more than four inches in the air. Even Slytherins were not immune to Snape's acid tongue when he stalked down the halls of Hogwarts, in such a fashion.

"Headmaster," Severus said, his lips a thin line, stretched across his face.

'Ah, Severus. Have a seat please."

"I am in rather a hurry. Your summons came at an extraordinarily inopportune moment. I was having a very insightful conversation with Mr. Potter."

Albus' eyes widened in surprise. "Harry? And how is young Mr. Potter coping these days?"

Albus felt a twinge of guilt; he'd been neglecting Harry-partially because he was consumed with other matters, and partially because he had been hoping that the fragile bond that was beginning to form between Harry and Severus would continue to grow. Harry needed someone, and Severus had been alone too long, and there were "other" reasons...

"I have other pressing matters to deal with, Headmaster. I have no time for idle chit-chat."

Albus' eyes twinkled. "Of course Severus. Now, have a seat. We have much to discuss."

Severus grit his teeth, and reluctantly sat down. He knew that it was pointless to argue further; he would be here, as long as it took for Albus to impart whatever information he was determined to pass on and he would not be permitted to leave before. Might as well let the lemon-sherbet obsessed man get on with it. He sighed, and sat back, squashing down his impatience.

The lines on Albus' face suddenly tightened into a serious expression. "First, I must discuss a very pressing matter with you. It concerns Harry."

Severus rolled his eyes. Doesn't every conversation concern Potter.

Albus laced his long, elegant fingers together. "I was hoping that I would have more time to find a permanent guardian for Harry, however, Cornelius has again decided to stick his crooked nose into matters that don't concern him."

A dull ache began to form in his head. In Severus' opinion, Cornelius Fudge knew not his arse from his elbow, and any matter the "he" was involved in, was bound to be disaster. However, he also knew that Albus would manipulate the situation to his advantage, and ultimately, Severus as well.

"And just how does this interference involve me Albus?"

The corner of Albus' mouth lifted slightly. "Surely you can guess Severus."

"Albus, while I agree that Potter is certainly in need of a permanent guardian, and one who is not afraid to be firm with him, I am most certainly not the ideal choice to be a guardian to a child, especially one who seems to invite trouble at every turn. I am simply not a patient man, and -"

"Nonsense Severus. I have seen how you and Harry have interacted this summer, and I believe that you have been good for each other."

His eyes twinkled in that most annoying way. "I have even seen young Harry manage to soften that prickly demeanor that you are so fond of cultivating Severus."

"Mr. Potter would be better off with the Weasleys surely. They would be able to provide him with the emotional support that I'm simply not capable of giving him."

Severus was not one to panic, but he could feel a knot form in the pit of his stomach. He just was not ready to play father to the Boy Who Lived. He was just not a parental sort of man. True, he frequently doled out advice to his Snakes in a mentorish sort of fashion, but to be solely responsible for the needs of a child, especially a child, who was reckless, head-strong and had a penchant for breaking rules; the infuriating child seemed to not have a care in the world, while he recklessly placed himself constantly in danger.

Severus narrowed his eyes at Albus. Albus looked worried, and that was a rare occurrence. Normally, the Headmaster took life's little twists and turns with a grain of salt. The man may look like a kindly grandfather sort of figure, but Severus knew what kind of raw power and strength the man possessed. There were few who ruffled Albus' feathers, and if the man look worried, Severus knew that the situation was grave.

"Wait. You said that Fudge has again stuck his nose in where it doesn't belong. How does this involve Potter, and in what other situation has Fudge got himself involved in?"

"As you know, I have attempted to keep the matter of Harry's guardianship a closely guarded secret, however, somehow Cornelius discovered Harry was whisked away from the Dursleys during the summer, and the circumstances necessitating this rescue. He has gotten it into his head, that the boy must be made a ward of the Ministry. He, of course, would hold ultimate power over Harry."

Worry lines furrowed his brow. "We cannot allow that to happen."

Albus twirled the ends of his long beard. "I'd still like to know how Cornelius discovered that Harry was extracted from his relative's care. I was careful to employ the utmost secrecy regarding his whereabouts, and only those whom I trust implicitly, were privy to this information."

Severus drew in a deep breath. "It wouldn't surprise me if the idiot showed up at Potter's door."

Albus nodded. "I rather suspect the same thing Severus. I'm sure that Vernon and Petunia gave Cornelius an earful as well. I rather suspect that they were not too pleased at the all manner of revenge that was exacted on them for mistreating their nephew."

He sent a pointed look at Severus.

"I don't even like the boy Albus. Why would I have gone to extract revenge on those Muggles?"

The sound of crackling cellophane broke through the awkward silence, as Albus peeled back the wrapping from his Sherbet Lemon, and popped it into his mouth.

"Of course not Severus. You have made your continued dislike of Harry very clear this summer, when you gave him shelter, tended to his injuries, and ensured that he was brought back to full health." Albus said, his eyes twinkling in that extremely irritating fashion, which grated on Severus' nerves.

"And of course, Petunia's ramblings of, "That horrid man in black that looks like a vampire; my freak sister's friend, stuffed poor Vernon inside the broom closet for hours," were all just the delusions of a mad woman," he said, giving Severus a knowing look.

Severus smirked. He may not like Potter, but that did not mean that he would tolerate child-abuse. A twinge of guilt rose up, as he realised that his own treatment of Potter over the past two years, had not been right either. Well, he was working on that, wasn't he? But changing his behaviour towards the boy, and assuming total responsibility for his welfare, was quite another matter. One that he really wasn't ready to consider. He had allowed Albus to convince him that the temporary guardianship of the child was just that, temporary, but then again, he should have known that Albus would have plans; he always had plans. The man was a born schemer, who was quite cultured in the art of persuasion. It was hard to deny Albus Dumbledore for long, when he got a bee in his bonnet.

Severus sighed in defeat. "Very well Albus. I may have paid the Dursleys a little visit to extend my disapproval for their treatment of their nephew, but that doesn't mean that I am ready to assume full responsibility for the brat."

"Severus!" Albus admonished. "I thought that you were past this petty, derogatory name-calling."

"Sorry Albus. I admit, I do not-" oh how this was going to cost him, Severus thought, '-dislike the boy any longer. I still feel however," he said, with tight-lipped disapproval, "that you are far too lenient with him, and pander to his penchant for placing himself in danger too frequently."

"Perhaps you are right Severus. I do have a hard time being stern with the boy. He is just such an endearing child."

Severus rolled his eyes. "He has you wrapped around his little finger."

"Yes, I agree Severus. He would be far better with someone who could be firm with him, protect him, and instill a sense of self-preservation in him. Perhaps Harry would do well with someone who was not so much like himself. Perhaps the boy needs someone who is refined in the art of cunning, strategy and taking time to weigh the situation, instead of rushing headlong into the unknown. Perhaps a Slytherin influence would be good for Harry. Have I ever told you the story of Harry's sorting, and how close he had come to be sorted in your own House?"

"I know what you are trying to do," Severus growled.

Albus' eyes sparkled with mirth. "Is it working?"

"If I were to agree to this-" he held up a long potion-stained finger, at Albus' excited expression. "-and that is a big if, how will you convince the Ministry to allow me to assume Guardianship of the Boy Who Lived?"

"Aw, but that my boy is not for you to worry about. I have-" he leant forward and fixed Severus with his hypnotic gaze, "-connections at the Department of Wizarding Child Services."

"Fudge will blow a gasket, Albus"

The corner of Albus' mouth lifted slightly. "Yes he will. But he will be powerless to interfere. The Wizengamot, of which I am a senior member, holds ultimate power over the Ministry of Child Affairs. Once the matter is settled, and I have no fear that it will be expedited without problem, then I will present it to Cornelius, as a fait accompli."

"He will be out for your blood," Severus pointed out dryly.

Albus waved his hands in a carefree manner. "He will have to stand in line, won't he?"

"What is the catch Albus? I find it hard to believe that the Ministry would just appoint me, a former Death Eater, permanent guardianship of The Boy Who Lived, without batting so much as an eyelid."

"Well yes, there is the matter of an interview with you and Harry," he admitted sheepishly.

"And you believe that I would pass this interview with flying colours, and that Potter will just agree to this guardianship without word of protest? You are seriously deluded old man."

Albus chuckled. "Ah, but Severus, I never said that it would be easy. Nothing in life is ever easy, but I plan to have a long conversation with Harry and point out to him, the advantages of having you as his protector and mentor."

Severus shook his head; his long hair slapping the sides of his pale face. "Good luck on that Albus. Now, if you'll excuse me. I really do have other matters to attend to," he said, lifting himself out of his chair.

"Sit back down Severus. There is another, serious matter I must discuss with you..."

HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HPHP HP HP HP

Harry plopped himself down tiredly on the bed.

A flash of red peeked out from behind the heavy drapes of the bed next to him. "Harry?"

"Yeah, it's me."

"Where have you been all night? It's past curfew."

"With Snape," Harry said tiredly.

"Snape actually let you stay out after curfew?" Ron asked incredulously.

"Yeah well, he was too busy gloating," Harry said angrily. "Besides, he walked me back to the Tower, to make sure I didn't go wandering off again after curfew, as he put it," Harry said, grinding his teeth.

"Gloating?"

"Yeah, gloating at me, because he saw the mud on the bottom of my jeans, and he figures that that was proof enough that I was in Hogsmeade and threw mud at Malfoy. So he gave me detention, even though he had no real proof that I did anything wrong-the Greasy Git," Harry fumed. "I had to scrub cauldrons until my hands were raw." He examined his fingers meticulously; okay, so he had exaggerated, but it still really sucked that he'd been punished for something that Snape had no proof of.

"Can you believe it? Snape punished me for something I might not have even done!" he huffed.

"Uh Harry, I hate to point this out to you, but don't you think that maybe you shouldn't be all indignant and everything. Considering that you are technically guilty.

At Harry's glare, he added. "But it was brilliant though, and Malfoy did deserve to get plastered with mud, and yeah, Snape's a real git for giving you detention when all he has to go on is a bit of mud on your trousers." Ron couldn't help it, he burst out laughing.

Harry tried to maintain a fierce glare, but in the end, he too laughed so hard at the irony of it all, that his stomach hurt.

"Okay," Harry admitted, "Maybe I did technically deserve to be punished, but it's still unfair that Snape jumped down my throat, when he didn't know for sure that I did it," Harry grumbled.

Ron yanked open the curtains, "Hey, wait a minute. Where's your invisibility cloak? Snape didn't take it, did he?" he asked in horror.

"No, but I had to leave it behind the hump-backed witch," Harry said, worrying his lower lip.

Suddenly Harry jumped up, making Ron almost fall backwards in surprise. "I've got to go get it, before Malfoy finds it, or worse...Snape!" Harry exclaimed.

"Now?" Ron asked in horror. "Are you nuts? If Snape catches you..."

"He won't catch me. I've got the map," Harry said, as he rummaged through his trunk, searching for the map.

"Harry, I really don't think that this is such a great idea."

"Well, what else can I do? I can't go there during the day. Someone will see me for sure."

"Do you want me to go with you?' Ron asked hesitantly.

Harry shook his head. "No! No sense in both of us risking ourselves. You stay here, and if anyone asks, will you cover for me?"

"Of course mate."

HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP HP

Harry's eyes darted back and forth in the dark; he could feel his heart beat frantically against his chest.

He held his breath, and flattened himself against the wall, as he saw the glittering eyes of Mrs. Norris peek around the next corner, and Filch's raspy voice call out,

"What you got there Mrs. Norris? A student out of bed?" he said nastily.

Harry held his breath; all he could hear was the blood pounding in his ears.

Filch's lantern swung back and forth in the murky black.

Harry breathed a sigh of relief when he heard Filch say, "It's all quiet over here. Come, my pretty. Let's go check over there."

Harry stealthily made his way down the staircase, without incident, and held his dad's cloak to his chest, as he pulled it from behind the statue; a warm feeling spread over his chest, as he thought of his dad, using this very same cloak to plan exciting adventures.

Harry slipped the smooth, silky fabric over his head, and pulled The Marauder's Map out of his pocket.

He stared dizzily at the footprints pattering all over it.

Harry's stomach swooped.

He stared at the map, and blinked his eyes. No, it couldn't be!

Unless there was a serious flaw with the Marauder's Map, the name on the label showed that the occupant presently in Professor's Lupin's quarters with him, was no other than the escaped murderer...Sirius Black!

To be continued...
End Notes:
Thanks so much for being patient with me. I promise I'll be quicker next chappie.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1875