Sparks Will Fly by Pandora
Summary: When Lily and James' will is discovered in the ruins of Godric's Hollow, what secrets will be revealed? Will two sworn enemies be able to lay aside their differences for the sake of a boy who desperately wants a family?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: Dumbledore, Hagrid, Hermione, Remus, Ron, Sirius, .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Azkaban Character, Runaway, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 4th summer
Warnings: None
Prompts: Sparks Will Fly
Challenges: Sparks Will Fly
Series: None
Chapters: 15 Completed: No Word count: 64748 Read: 97500 Published: 04 Jul 2009 Updated: 16 Jul 2012
The End of a Long Journey (Part I) by Pandora
Author's Notes:
So sorry for the long wait. These past few months have been rough for me. I was ill and my father passed away, but I promise that I will update more frequently.

I am dedicating this chapter to Dream Painter, who has been hounding me to reveal what's in the box! LOL

Thanks so much ObsidianEmbrace for your continued support and encouragement, and for correcting all my mistakes. And many thanks to my dear friend Kristeh for being so supportive and giving me a good kick in the butt to write!

Thanks also to my readers who have stuck with me, despite my slow progress these past few months. Thanks for not abandoning me.

Most importantly though, thanks to J.K. Rowling for sharing her wonderful magical world of Harry Potter with us. I'm just so sad that it's all over though, but at least we still have our wonderful world of fanfiction to keep J.K.'s visions alive.

Severus stared at her picture.

"Lily. Oh Lily. I'm so sorry," he whispered.

She smiled up at him and waved; her long red hair cascading upon her shoulders.

She was leaning up against the large old oak tree in the front garden of her parent's' house.

Severus remembered that summer very clearly. They were both sixteen, and very much in love. It had been one of the best summers that Severus could ever remember spending in his young life.

Severus and Lily had spent every moment together, planning their lives. They would get married the minute they finished school, and they would live happily-ever-after, raising their large brood of children together. Lily had laughingly teased how they would have at least a dozen.

Severus had allowed himself to dream. Yes, he could imagine his daughters with their long red pony-tails and large emerald eyes staring up at him, with Lily's gentle smile.

And as Lily sent shivers up his spine as she ran her long slender fingers through his hair, she gently teased him that their sons would look just like their father with their dark eyes and silky black hair, Severus showered her with kisses and laughed that they most definitely must not have his nose.

Severus' heart ached as he remembered just how perfect that summer had been; how carefree and happy they'd been, and how perfect their future would be.

And then he'd gone and spoilt it all…

Strangely enough, Severus and Lily managed to remain quite close, up until their sixth year, despite being in different Houses, and despite James Potter's growing determination to have Lily for himself.

Severus knew that he couldn't compete with the handsome Quidditch player, and he admitted to himself that it was his own obsessive jealously that drove them apart and Lily into Potter's arms.

He could admit it now, but at the time, he had allowed his insecurities to slowly poison his relationship with Lily.

Dark forces began to gather that September, and Severus' growing hatred of all things Potter and Black , made him grow progressively more paranoid and jealous; perfectly vulnerable to fall for the Dark Lord's promises of power and glory.

Severus threw his full glass against the fireplace; the fire hissed and crackled as the ruby liquid touched the flame.

Lily had begged and pleaded with him to listen to reason, but no… Severus knew better. It didn't matter that everything the Dark Lord stood for was everything that his beloved Lily wasn't.

How could he have been so bloody blind?

He had never deserved Lily and had betrayed her in every way possible.

Although he knew that Potter had been the better man; he hadn't been perfect by any means, but he hadn't kissed the arse of the Darkest Wizard alive since Grindewald either. He hadn't betrayed the woman he supposedly loved. by turning his back on her and uttering the most foul, evil word possible.

No, James Potter had only stood on the side-lines, patiently waiting while Severus himself had single-handedly destroyed the delicate, perfect love that he'd shared with the most gentle, kind, loving woman he'd ever known.

Severus had no one to blame but himself.

And now, Lily and James had requested his presence at the reading of the will? It made little sense.

Even if Lily had forgiven him for his horribly selfish actions, why would Potter have mentioned him in his will as well?

It was a restless and anguished sleep that Severus succumbed to.

With the morning light flooding through the dungeon quarter's small, round windows, Severus' heart felt no less squeezed inside his chest, as his eyelids fluttered opened that fateful morning.

"Tell me more about some of the pranks that my dad used to pull on you," Harry asked eagerly.

Sirius chuckled. "I don't think that I had better give you any more ideas. James and I spent a good portion of our time here at Hogwarts in detention," he said fondly.

"McGonagall even had two chairs engraved with their names on it. I hear that they were retired the day James and Sirius left Hogwarts.," Remus added with a wink.

"Aw c'mon, Sirius," Harry pleaded. "Just one more story… please"

Sirius had to admit that it was tough saying no to his godson. A fierce protective feeling overwhelmed him.

While he really didn't look very much like James, Lily's eyes staring back at him from that young, eager face was too much to bear sometimes.

Harry looked both so young and so old at the same time. It wasn't fair that a child so young had to bear the weight of the world on their shoulders. Harry should have been raised by James and Lily; two parents who loved and protected him, gave him what every child should have; people who had his best interests at heart.

A wave of fury rose up in him as he thought of Petunia and Vernon. Sirius had to control his desire to go and hex these people within an inch of their sorry lives. But no… he wouldn't make that mistake again. Harry needed him, and as much as he wanted to exact revenge against Harry's relatives, he knew that he couldn't afford to spend another twelve years in Azkaban.

He would not fail Harry again.

Sirius felt on top of the world; he was finally a free man, and he was determined to fulfil his responsibilities as Harry's godfather.

Although Harry still looked pale, and had numerous cuts and bruises, and he sported his broken arm in a sling, the boy looked relaxed and seemed to be enjoying hearing stories about his parents from Remus and himself.

The three had been sitting all morning, since Harry had been released from the hospital, around the table in Remus' flat and Sirius had to admit that despite Harry's close call, it felt good to have such a light-hearted conversation.

Although it was painful to think of Lily and James at times, and he missed them terribly, it also helped to heal some of the pain that he'd been holding onto for so long. Besides, Harry deserved to find out about his parents. He doubted very much whether Snape would have anything good to say about James to his godson.

Sirius' blue eyes twinkled with mischief. "Well, you see, there was the time that your father decided that I needed to try a water- bed."

"A water-bed?

"Oh yes. I woke up one morning, flipped back the covers, slung open the curtains around my bed, swung one foot over the side and "kerplunk". I found myself dog-paddling to stay afloat in the middle of the Great Lake."

Harry almost fell back in his chair, he laughed so hard.

"So what did you do to get back at my dad?"

"Who me?" Sirius asked with a mischievous gleam in his eye.

"What makes you think that I didn't just let bygones be bygones? After all, James was my best mate. Maybe I just forgave him.

Remus snorted. "That's about as likely to happen as Albus tossing all his Sherbert Lemons in the trash bin."

"Not bloody likely," Harry said with a big grin.

"Ye of little faith," Sirius said with a chuckle.

Harry leant in a little closer, resting his broken arm on the table.

"What did you do to my dad?"

"Oh very well, if you must know.…"

"Sirius!"

Sirius popped another Bertie's every-flavoured Bean into his mouth and made a face. Ew! That tasted suspiciously like a bogey.

Sirius put his hands up. "Alright," he laughed.

"So you see, after what your father did to me, I had to come up with something really big. After all, I had a reputation to uphold."

"So, I waited awhile, until he felt really secure and wouldn't suspect anything. About a week later, the perfect opportunity presented itself. I had done a little research you see. It had to be perfect."

"One night when your dad was at Quidditch practice, I snuck into his trunk and placed a time-delay disappearing charm on his school uniform. Basically, about a half hour after the fabric touches your skin, the clothes disappear."

Harry's jaw dropped.

Sirius started laughing. "James walked into the Great Hall for breakfast the next morning, strutting his stuff, trying to show off for your mum, and the minute he crossed the threshold to the Great Hall, his clothes disappeared right off his back and he was standing there with only his knickers on!"

"What did he do?"

"Hell if I know! I took off out of there like a bat out of hell the minute I saw the look on his face. I turned into Snuffles and hid in the Shrieking Shack for three days!"

Harry's was fighting to keep his eyelids open.

"Okay kiddo, it's almost curfew. I think that it's time to go back."

"Can't I stay here?"

"I'd love nothing more, but you'd really better get back. Snape is your guardian and I don't think that this is the time to test him right now. Not after your little escapade," he said, giving Harry a stern look.

"Yeah, I guess you're right," he said sheepishly.

"Frankly, young man, you're lucky that he didn't lock you in his quarters and throw away the key. It's what I would have done."

"I know what I did was dangerous, but I'd do it again you know," Harry said, walking around and giving Sirius a fierce hug.

Sirius took Harry gently by the shoulders and looked down at him fondly.

"Harry, I appreciate what you've done for me. I really do. But I'm an adult and I'm the one who's supposed to take care of you. Nothing or no one is worth risking your life for," he said huskily.

Sirius would never have been able to live with himself if anything had happened to Harry because he had tried to save him from the Dementors. The boy meant the world to him. Not only because he was his best friend's son, but because he was Harry, who was truly a remarkable child.

Emotion clogged his throat. He squeezed Harry's shoulders lightly.

"Come. Let's go before Snape gives you detention till you graduate from Hogwarts."

"You are cutting it close, Black," Severus said snidely. "Three minutes till curfew."

"Sorry Severus. We just lost track of time."

"Yes well, the boy is falling asleep on his feet."

He pointed a long finger in the direction of the corridor.

"Bed Potter. Pomfrey will have our heads if you end up back in the hospital wing."

"Good night Sirius," Harry said sleepily, and gave his Godfather a hug.

Sirius held him tightly for a minute and said, "Good night, kiddo."

Severus fought down a wave of emotion that threatened to take hold of him, and he ignored the inner voice that said that the emotion was jealously.

Why the hell should he be jealous that Black was hugging James Potter's brat, and why should he care that the same brat was returning his Godfather's hug just as fiercely? Why should he care that Black, who was Potter's godfather, would probably want custody of him?

Severus should be happy that Black would take the Potter brat off of his hands. He would finally have his life back. He'd be free to come and go as he pleased, without having to have that burden dragging him down.

Why then did Severus feel like he was drowning when he thought of the soon-to-be empty bedroom down the hall? Why did Severus feel this twisting in his gut that it wouldn't be him protecting Lily's child anymore? The same boy who looked back at him with his mother's eyes—the same eyes that wrenched his heart whenever he peered into them and saw Lily looking back at him.

He cleared his throat.

"It's time for bed now, Potter."

Harry nodded.

"Bye Sirius."

"Bye Harry," he said softly.

As tired as Harry was, sleep just wouldn't come.

He felt terribly conflicted after the conversation he'd had with Sirius.

Sirius wanted him to go live with him—he even wanted to make it legal by adopting him. He and Sirius would be a family. He would no longer be an unwanted burden, because Harry had no doubt that Sirius loved him with all his heart.

Yet, as much as Harry knew that Snape didn't love him. Hell, the man didn't even like him; probably couldn't even stand him, and yet…

Harry lay on his bed and let his eyes roam around the room that he'd occupied for the past few weeks. He thought about all the things that Snape had done for him—a boy that he couldn't stand—a boy that he hated.

Snape had taken in and gave him something that his own family had denied him; Snape may not be a nice man, but he had taken care of Harry after his uncle had hurt him, had made sure that ate good nutritious food, a warm bed to sleep in, and Harry had always felt that the man would always keep him safe and protected.

Yeah, Snape could be a right arse sometimes; he was sarcastic, anal-retentive, overly-strict and had a cruel, sharp tongue when you displeased him. Through it all though, Harry felt a sense of security with Snape and he knew that the man would protect him with his life; hell, he'd done it many times before.

The problem was, was that as strange as it was, was that he felt torn between Snape and Sirius. It should have been an easy choice. Sirius was his parent's first choice as a guardian, and obviously cared deeply about him, whereas Snape had spent the past few years verbally abusing and cruelly taunting him.

Yet, Snape didn't seem quite as cruel or quite as hateful as he had been. It seemed to Harry that something substantial had changed between them. True, Harry could never envision getting that same warm fuzzy feeling that he got when Sirius hugged him, nor could he picture Snape ever talking to him in that same gentle, teasing lilt that his godfather did, but Harry felt that Snape offered him comfort in his own way.

Harry scoffed at the irony of it all. If anyone had told him only a few short weeks ago that he wouldn't want to get as far away from Snape as possible, he would have thought that they were barmy. But here he was; wanting the seemingly impossible—to have both Snape and Sirius in his life and for them to peacefully co-exist.

As Harry finally drifted off to sleep, he was struck by a remarkable thought. For the first time ever, Harry felt wanted and cared for by the adults in his life. As crazy as the thought was, Harry knew in his heart that Snape didn't hate him anymore, and maybe even liked him a little bit. But of course, he doubted that Snape would ever admit that to him, let alone to himself.

"How are we getting there sir?" Harry asked curiously as he sat down to breakfast the next morning.

"We will be meeting in the Headmaster's office. We will be flooing to Diagon Alley, where we will proceed to Gringotts."

"Finish up your breakfast, Potter. We haven't got all day."

Harry felt nauseous; He had felt like his stomach had been wrung inside out as he sped through the tunnels in the bowels of the earth at Gringotts.

Sirius gently held him up under his arms.

"You okay there Harry?"

"Yeah, I'll be fine," he said shakily.

Once Sirius let go of him, Harry brushed the soot off of his jumper and trousers.

They stopped suddenly as Griphook stated that they'd arrived at Lily and James Potter's vault.

Harry's stomach swooped. He wasn't sure what to expect, but he couldn't shake the feeling that something monumental was going to happen. It all seemed so surreal. He couldn't help but wonder why Snape was there though. He had always known that Snape and his dad were enemies. He never understood why, but he just knew this to be a fact. So, why then would his mum and dad have asked for Snape's presence today? It would have made much more sense if Remus were the one to be there standing by their side. He had been their good friend as well, but Harry couldn't fathom why on earth his parents would have wanted Snape to be there; a man who had loathed his father and barely knew his mother.

"Mr. Black, place the palm of your hand here," Griphook instructed, as he pointed at the outline of a hand sketched on the thick, metal door.

"Professor Snape, you next, and finally Mr. Potter."

Harry held his breath as they entered the vault. There were stacks of gold as high as the ceiling placed in piles around the vault. There was old furniture draped with cloths, boxes of china, yellowed papers and all sorts of odds and ends.

"Much of their belongings were moved here after their deaths," Griphook explained.

Harry's heart skipped a beat as the goblin led them to the back and pulled back the drape that covered, what looked to Harry like the Mirror of Erised.

Much to Harry's disappointment, his mum and dad didn't appear in the mirror when he stared at it.

"You must stand here," Griphook said gruffly as he made sure that Sirius, Severus and Harry were positioned in front of the mirror.

Harry looked at him questioningly as the goblin reached into his pocket with his long, thin clawed hand, and held out a large blue glistening stone. He placed it in Harry's hand.

Harry felt the stone grow warmer, as it began to glow and emit swirling prisms of blue light that bounced off the walls, and reflected brightly in the mirror.

Harry gasped, as an image began to form in the mirror before him.

"Mum… Dad," Harry whispered.

He reached out to touch the mirror longingly.

"Oh Harry, my love. You've grown into such a handsome young man," Lily said in a gentle voice, filled with pride.

"And Sirius, our one true and loyal friend. How good it is to see you again."

James nodded in agreement.

Sirius swallowed hard. They seemed like he could just reach out and touch them, yet he knew that it couldn't be real.

"And last but not least," Lily said softly, "Severus… my love."

Sirius' jaw dropped as he stared at his best friend's wife. He knew that Snape and Lily had dated at one time, but that was a long time ago, and he had always thought that James and Lily were so much in love.

Harry swung around to stare at Snape in shock. My love? How the bloody hell did Snape know his mother, and why was his mother calling Snape her love? In front of his father no less!

But no one was more shocked by Lily's proclamation than Severus himself.

 

To be continued...
End Notes:
Sorry DP. I know…I'm really evil making you wait to find out what's in that darned box!

I have a feeling that you'll be acting on that threat to hold "A Boy Who…" hostage until I finally satisfy your curiosity!

Thanks for reading, and I'll try to update soon. (Really, I will Dream Painter)


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1875