Something Wicked This Way Comes by Nota Bene
Summary: Harry's been captured at the beginning of the summer and retrieved by the Order. But it's not Harry they've brought back...
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: None
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 21 Completed: Yes Word count: 35898 Read: 71678 Published: 07 Jul 2009 Updated: 23 Jun 2011
Vir Sapit Qui Pauca Loquitur by Nota Bene

Severus was thrown back violently into his own mind. He let go of Potter and clutched his head, hissing in pain. Lupin and Poppy rushed forward to catch the boy as he fell. Severus had been the only thing holding him up.

Harry let out a groan as he tried to get his legs to work.

“What is it? Talk to me, Harry!” Remus exclaimed.

Harry glanced weakly up at Severus and Albus. “I didn’t think you were serious.”

Remus stared solemnly into his cup. Poppy had exiled all of them to the kitchen after Harry had been settled back in bed. Severus and Albus had gone into the study while Remus heated water for tea. He enjoyed the simplicity of doing certain things the Muggle way. When the water had finished boiling, he took the cups into the study for the other two. Handing them the tea, little snippets of their conversation filtered through his consciousness.

“You yourself admit that you found nothing definite, Severus. No clear proof.”

“Albus, I’m telling you something’s off!”

“We already knew Harry knows how to occlude. That is nothing to be alarmed about.”

“Then explain his attitude.”

“Depression and anger, Severus. I believe you are familiar with it.”

Severus ignored the jab at his past. “Why are you so afraid to believe me?”

“Forgive me, Severus, but I will not cause that child any more grief! And if you are wrong and I take action, the consequences could be destructive.”

“And if I am right?”

Remus returned to the kitchen, ignoring the rest of their conversation. He didn’t really understand what was going through either wizard’s head. He understood that Severus thought the Dark Lord was in Harry’s mind, given his behavior and newfound ability at Occlumency, but why Albus was being so dismissive about it?

He remembered the aftermath of that night at the Department of Mysteries, when Albus had explained his fear of Voldemort using Harry as a conduit to spy on him. Maybe he was still afraid; he didn’t want to give the maniac an incentive to try anything.

Albus would do what he thought was best. In the meantime, all there was for Remus to do was take care of Harry. Make sure he was okay.

Just then, Poppy entered the kitchen with Severus and Albus close behind her. She swept into the room, an air of frustration surrounding her. Remus’ cup shook as she slammed a small potions vial down on the table.

“That boy!”

“What is it, Poppy?” Remus poured another cup from the kettle.

She looked up gratefully at Remus as he placed the tea in front of her. “His magical energy stores are almost completely depleted.” She glared at Severus. “No thanks to that little stunt you pulled back there.”

“I was doing my job.”

“Well so am I, and mine consists of keeping that boy alive which I can’t do if you attack him whenever you feel like it. I’m surprised you didn’t feel that back-wash. Harry was practically unconscious when I examined him.”

“I didn’t attack him, I was checking his mind.” Severus retorted.

“You can call it whatever you like, but the result was that you nearly knocked him out,” Poppy huffed. “And now he’s refused to take a sleeping potion. Again!”

“Why does he keep refusing it?”

“I don’t know, Albus. He gave me some excuse about nightmares so I offered him some Dreamless Sleep and then he came up with some cock and bull story about how he doesn’t want to become addicted. As if I would let that happen!”

“Foolish child.” Severus muttered under his breath.

Remus glared at him before turning back to face the mediwitch. “What can I do, Poppy?”

“Nothing I’m afraid. Harry’s asleep for the moment and he is staying that way for a good few hours.”

“How did you—“

“An energy restorative apparently packs quite the punch, especially when you mix in a sleeping potion.” Poppy didn’t even bother to look ashamed at the fact that this was the second time she had deliberately drugged Harry. “No patient is going to tell me ‘no’ when I suggest something. That boy needs to sleep. I don’t care what he says. But it is going to be harder to trick him like this in the future.”

Albus sighed. “I need to get back to Hogwarts to check on a few things. Remus, you’ll be fine on your own with him?”

“Yes, Albus.”

“Very good. If the situation changes, we might transfer Harry back to Hogwarts. Severus, will you stay for a while?”

Severus nodded in compliance.

Albus turned back to Remus, a stern look on his face. “If something happens, I want you to call me right away.” Remus nodded. Maybe Albus wasn’t being so dismissive after all.

.

The boy was still asleep a few hours later when Severus checked on him. He had spent the afternoon working in the downstairs lab. It was early evening when Lupin stuck his head in and asked him to watch Potter while he took a rest.

Poppy had opened the windows to let in some fresh air, and the summer night chill had cooled off the room. Severus sat himself into a chair in the corner as he watched the boy. Regardless of the potion, Potter was growing increasingly restless. A strong gust of wind blew through the room and Severus found himself shivering. He got up, intending to close the window. The temperature seemed to drop the closer he got to the bed, and as he approached, the boy stilled as if he sensed Severus’ presence.

“Potter?” Severus whispered, checking if he was still asleep. There was no answer. Severus took a moment to study him. Black messy hair stood out starkly against the paleness of the skin. The discoloration around Potters’ eyes seemed more prominent without the startling green gaze suppressing it. The boy shifted again and the covers fell to the floor.

He bent down to lift the blanket up. Before replacing it, Severus took in the sight of the emaciated body. There was hardly any meat on the boy, just skin and bones. The captivity had taken its toll. Severus placed the blanket back over the boy and moved back to his chair in the corner.

He turned when he heard the door creak open. Remus stood in the doorway.

“Rested enough, Lupin? It’s been less than an hour.”

Remus pushed himself off the door jamb and approached the bed. One hand was in his pocket and the other ran through his hair before rubbing the back of his neck. “Too worried to sleep.”

Severus nodded his understanding. Potter was once again moving restlessly about on the bed. The mattress creaked as Remus lowered himself on it. He pulled his hand out of his pocket and reached out to touch Harry’s fidgety body. The boy seemed to grow more agitated for a moment before stilling almost automatically.

Remus began to run his hand in a circular motion against his leg. Instead of being soothed by the motion, Remus could feel Harry tense up. He removed his hand and Harry’s body relaxed once again.

Severus remained quiet as he stood up from his spot in the corner. If Lupin was going to get all maudlin over the boy now, he wanted no part in it. He turned back only to say good night.

Remus looked up as he heard the door click shut and the room was bathed in darkness. The streetlamp outside provided the only source of light once the potions master left.

He stared down at the boy in the bed. His thoughts strayed to that night two weeks ago when he had heard the news that Harry was back.

Dumbledore had forbidden him to help with the rescue. Albus ignored his pleas and left, saying only that it would do no good for Harry to lose someone else again so quickly.

The comment had sobered Remus up almost instantaneously, and he hurriedly flooed to Hogwarts to wait for their return.

He could not begin to describe how he felt during those few hours. It was almost as insufferable as the last three weeks had been.

From that first night when the urgent meeting of the Order was called, informing them of the attack on Privet Drive and Harry’s disappearance, until the moment when Harry returned, his life was spent in torment. Visions plagued him of his best friends yelling at him for not taking care of their child, Sirius falling through the veil over and over; and Harry, bloodied and bruised, staring at him through dull eyes as he took his last breath…

Then the news had come: Harry was on his way back. He was battered and torn, but he was alive, and Remus promised that he would do everything in his power to make sure the boy came to no more harm. He swore it.

Now it was all falling apart. Harry was hurting and there seemed to be nothing Remus could do about it.

Letting out another sigh, Remus stood up and followed the path out of the room that Severus had taken earlier. He caught up with him in the living room.

“What’s wrong with Harry?”

Severus halted as he was about to throw the green powder into the flames. “I’m sorry?”

“What’s wrong with him?”

“I only have my suspicions.”

“They must be pretty strong suspicions if you’re arguing with Albus over them.”

“They are.”

“Then why isn’t anything being done?”

“Albus worries the Dark Lord might decide to use Potter as a channel but he’s so blinded by that fear he can’t see he already is.”

“Then why don’t we do something about it?”

“I can do nothing without the Headmaster’s consent. Today’s events have helped convince him. I believe he is starting to take certain precautions.”

“Precautions?”

Severus nodded. “He intends to bring the boy back to the school. It will be safer to deal with him there.”

The End.
End Notes:
Vir Sapit Qui Pauca Loquitur= that man is wise who talks little, otherwise meaning ‘know when to hold your tongue’.

Hope you liked!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1879