Where Once Was Light by Ivy-Green
Summary: Severus is found out as a spy among the Death Eaters and runs for his life. Along the way, he makes some shocking discoveries about Harry Potter.
Categories: Parental Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Lily, Original Character, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Resorting, Slytherin!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 4th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Profanity, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 43 Completed: No Word count: 174704 Read: 335047 Published: 23 Jul 2009 Updated: 04 Jan 2012
Story Notes:

This story was inspired by Snapegirl's Heir to Prince Manor. I had forgotten that I had read it *wince* and I started to make up my own story, and forgot completely about HTPM. So I've straightened everything out with Snapegirl, and I think we're good to go! Thanks Snapegirl!

Thanks to Pandora for the banner! ^-^

Chapter 1: Separation by Ivy-Green
Author's Notes:
First and formost, I don't own any of the characters, they belong to JK Rowling. (too bad for me) I'm just playing with them for awhile (yes, I know that sounds bad, but it's true!) And before you ask, no I'm not making any money off this *sob* I'm doing this for my own enjoyment.

This is also my first story, so please help me out by reviewing to keep my confindence up! Thank you!

1979

Out of the gloom of night, a lone figure appeared along the fringes of the Forbidden Forest. He stood tall, robed in black, blacker than the dreary night. Rain poured down in raging rebellion against the earth, but the wizard simply walked up the hill towards his goal; Hogwarts Castle, gliding onward through the oppressive tempest.

Entering the ancient castle, the wizard removed his cowl readily, looking about his surroundings more from habit than any real concern of danger. It truly was a difficult habit to break, one he was not sure he would ever dispel, and one he was grateful for acquiring. It had saved him quite frequently.

Silently, the young wizard walked along the familiar halls of his old school. His thick black cloak billowed behind him like great wings, giving him the illusion of flight. It appeared as though he was some sort of vampire, a giant bat, but others could argue his smooth rapid pace was more graceful than that of a bat. It truly made no difference what anyone thought about him as he did not much care.

Stalking over to the gargoyles that stood watch, he muttered, “Lemon drops.” His deep voice resonated off the stone from his request. He was kept waiting only a moment as the gargoyles leap out of his way to reveal the secret passageway leading to the Headmaster’s office. Without hesitation, the young wizard entered through the doorway and climbed up the moving stairs.

The doors at the top of the opened wide for him and he stepped through into the office of the Headmaster, Albus Dumbledore. Without any further invitation, the younger wizard glided in, and ceased his neck-breaking pace to stand calmly behind one of the Headmaster’s plush chairs, hands firmly clasped behind his back, face relaxed.

“Severus, my dear boy!” the Headmaster cried when he saw the other wizard.

“Professor,” Severus Snape nodded to his former teacher.

The old wizard chuckled lightly as he moved to sit behind his desk. “Now, now Severus, did I not tell you before? You may call me Albus.”

“Yes, Headmaster,” the other replied flatly, yet with a firmness that told of no tolerance to argue the point further.

Chuckling again, Dumbledore sat and motioned for the younger wizard to do the same. Severus remained standing. “So,” Albus began, “what news do you have for me?”

“Very great news indeed,” Snape spoke softly, but with heat, knowing he would be heard.

“Oh?” the Headmaster arched an eyebrow, gesturing once more for the other wizard to be seated. “And what news of Voldemort do you have for me?”

Ignoring the Headmaster’s offer to sit again, Severus merely shook his head. “It is not about the Dark Lord,” his voice remained calm, his face blank.

“Then what is this about?” Dumbledore looked over his spy with slight suspicion. The boy had turn coat once, would he do it again and be, as the Americans called it, a Benedict Arnold?

“I shall not play games with you,” Severus’s voice took on a cold hardness as though accusing the Headmaster of such a crime, which was not far from the truth. “I am afraid I will not be able to spend as much of my time spying and planning with you.”

Shocked by the boy’s complete candor, but unwilling to look weak in the presence of the powerful young wizard, Albus only raised a curious eyebrow at the boy. “Oh?” he asked questioningly. “And you have a reason for this, yes?”

“Indeed,” Severus seemed unfazed by Dumbledore’s sudden change in demeanor. “Lily and I are recently married,” the spy ignored his mentor’s flabbergasted face. “We have been for several months now and I do not believe I should get anymore entangled with the Order than I already am.”

Mouth agape, Albus tried desperately to find his voice. “You’re married to Lily?” he could not help but gawk for the moment. “Are you the one that ruined her relationship with James and broke their engagement?”

Although his expression remained relaxed, it was stretched. Severus’s hands balled into fists at his sides at the accusation. How dare Dumbledore accuse him of such a thing? “No,” he said bitingly. “James ruined his chance with Lily and she was the one that broke off their engagement.”

“Did your help influence her?” the Headmaster eyed the younger man before him suspiciously. It was not beneath Severus to try something of the sort.

“I did not use magic or potion on her if that’s what you mean,” Severus growled, a scowl now clearly written on his features. “I did, however, talk to her about her relationship reguarding James and she was miserable with him. She told me so. She expressed her…interest in me and I in her and then we married.”

“But how?” Albus was unnerved by the fact that Severus had so easily outwitted him and hid all this information from him. “I have spies everywhere and they would have reported-”

“To put your mind at ease,” Snape cut in snidely, “we married in a Muggle church, the same one we both attended in our youth in a Muggle neighborhood.”

The Headmaster stared at the young wizard for a long moment, frown set perfectly in place. “You were sorted into the correct house, no doubt about that,” he muttered under his breath. “But Severus, my boy, I need you.”

“I will still be a spy for you. That is unavoidable, and part of our agreement; however, I do not want to be your disposable commodity,” Severus said seriously, making Dumbledore increasingly uncomfortable. “I want a chance to be able to come out of this war alive, with a wife waiting for me.”

“And what if you don’t?” Dumbledore challenged. “What then? You’ll leave Lily behind, or worse, Lily carrying a child?” The younger wizard blanched.

“You can do nothing to stop me in this,” Severus scowled as he crossed his arms over his chest, trying hard not to show how much the Headmaster‘s words frightened him. “Lily and I are married and God willing, we’re going to start a family when this is over.”

The Headmaster straightened his features into a calm instantly, alerting Snape that the old man was going to try something. “You need to end your marriage, Severus,” he said solemnly.

“I beg your pardon?” the spy blinked several times, unsure of what he had just heard.

Standing up with a great sigh, feeling ever single one of his many years, Albus looked upon the hard, slightly hurt, features of Severus. He hated to do this to the boy, but the needs of the many truly did outweigh the needs of the few… or the one. “I need you Severus,” Dumbledore repeated. “I can’t have you being distracted by anyone or anything.”

“Lily will not distract me,” Severus hissed. “If anything, she’ll keep me focused on what I must-”

“Severus, please!” Dumbledore cut in crossly. “You need to think about everyone’s wellbeing and not just your own.” Severus growled low in his throat and was about to argue when Albus continued. “Think about the Order and the Muggles! Think about what you have put James through!”

Very slowly, as Dumbledore’s words hung in the air, Severus’s face began to contort into a vicious glower. “So,” his voice was quiet, but held icy bitterness that stopped the heart. “This is all about Potter, isn’t it?” he sneered half heartedly. “You’re only angry with me because Potter didn’t get Lily, and she married me instead, that she loves me and not Potter.” He turned away resentfully. “You just can’t stand the fact that your beloved Golden-Gryffindor-Boy lost out to someone else, that someone being me.”

Sighing again, Albus knew he could not completely deny Severus’s claim. He did love James, and he had hoped Lily really would someday fall in love with the Gryffindor, but it never happened. And now she and Severus snuck around his back and married. Alas! Poor James! The man had cried when Lily broke their engagement. How terrible would James feel once he learned that Lily had married the one man he hated more than Voldemort?

“Severus,” Albus tried to reach out. “My boy, I need you. The whole United Kingdom needs you. Don’t turn your back on her.”

“Spare me your patriotic idiocy,” he snapped. “You would have me turn my back on Lily! But the fact remains that Lily and I are married and I will be happy with her, despite your meddling to make me otherwise.” With a flip of his cap, Severus turned on his heels to leave, only to watch as all the doors slammed shut. His stomach flipped.

“I cannot allow you to leave like this,” Dumbledore said as the young wizard turned around to face him.

“Let me go,” Snape hissed threateningly.

“I am sorry my boy,” Albus almost looked sincere as he drew out his wand from his sleeve. “But I have a job for you.”

Panic surged through the young wizard as he realized what Dumbledore, the man that was supposed to be his mentor, his friend, was doing. Responding in kind, Severus tried to pull out his own wand, but did not quite make it. The moment his wand was in his hand, the Headmaster cast a disarming spell so powerful that it knocked Snape against the far wall, his head slamming into a picture, instantly shattering the glass. Blood trickled down steadily from his head and onto his cloak.

Gasping in surprised pain, Severus watched with unfocused eyes as Dumbledore advanced. “I am sorry my boy,” Albus’s voice rang unusually loud. “But I need to do this. For the good of the people.”

As his eyes focused, Severus realized he had slumped to the floor. When he looked up, he watched with horror as the Headmaster’s wand was pointing to his head. “No,” he whispered a soft plea.

“I am sorry,” Albus said once more, but Severus could not believe him.

The Elder Wand shot out a blinding bolt of light, filling the room, affecting everyone and everything within the room with the exception of the caster. Severus simply had no time as his world was swiftly fading into confusion. His last thoughts were those of betrayal, bitterness, and regret.

“Lily!” he cried before he fell to the floor, memory of the past six month completely gone.

*****

The next morning, Lily woke to find herself sprawled out in the middle of the bed. Sitting up rubbing the sleep from her eyes, she looked over at the clock groggily. It was only quarter after five in the morning, much too early for sane people to be awake. But as she looked around the room, she realized that her husband was nowhere to be found. His cloak was still missing.

Jumping out of bed, Lily wrapped her robe securely around her waist before she left the room. “Sev?” she called out once in the hall. There was no answer. Walking into the parlor there was no sign of him, nor was he in the kitchen. “Sev?” panic slipped into her voice. But no one answered her.

Sitting upon the couch where she and Severus had snuggled the night before, Lily wrapped her arms around herself, trying to calm her growing alarm. Sev was fine, he probably had to go to a meeting early and had not wanted to wake her. Yes, that was it. Severus had been gone all night before… just not when they were married… He had told her about it plenty of times.

After taking several moments to collect herself, Lily felt better, or that is at least what she told herself. Yes, everything was alright. Severus was fine. He would be home soon.

Lily jumped a foot in the air when there came a knock at the door. Shaking her head at her own silliness, the young witch smiled stupidly to herself before tucking loose hairs behind her ears. She was such a silly girl sometimes. Sev always called her a “capricious cherub” affectionately whenever she was scared of something stupid.

Grinning, feeling much better than before, Lily stood and walked to the door. Maybe it was Sev, playing some little prank. He was a sneaky little Slytherin, after all. He always loved to be called that!

Unable to stop herself, the witch giggled softly. Severus was such an imp at times! She loved him so very much, she was lucky he had forgiven her for the past. She did not deserve him, and she did not know what she would do if she lost him.

Opening the door, Lily was surprised to find the Headmaster standing on the stoop. “Professor Dumbledore,” she breathed, tightening her robe self-consciously. “What are you doing here?” she began, feeling ill, although she did not know why. He knows, was all her mind could think about.

“Mrs. Snape,” he inclined his head slowly.

“S-Snape?” she tried to feign shock. “Albus, why would you-?”

“Let us not play games, my dear,” Dumbledore smiled sadly.

Lily’s stomach lurched painfully and she began to pale. She knew that smile of the Headmaster’s. It never boded good tidings. “Alright,” she said quietly, gripping the door until her knuckles whitened with effort. “How did you know I was here?” she asked suspiciously.

“Severus told me where to find you.”

“Really?” her voice shook slightly. “You spoke to Sev recently?”

“I’m afraid I have,” Albus replied solemnly.

The answer, again, frightened the young witch, who began to feel cold. “Oh?” her voice sounded odd to her own ears. “When? Where?” it came out far too much like a plea.

At this, Dumbledore’s valiant smile failed and his face fell. Lily had never felt so scared and utterly ill in all of her life. She began to tremble all over. “Where is Sev?” she demanded desperately.

As though forcing his head up to look into her face, Lily beheld nothing but utter sorrow and regret in the old wizard’s eyes. “I’m afraid that Severus is gone,” he spoke gently.

At that moment, the young wife had become whiter than any snow. Her hair blew about her face in crimson waves, her emerald eyes gone completely dull. Her trembling intensified and for a moment, her legs began to protest and give way. But she caught herself thanks to Dumbledore.

Once sure that she was steady, Albus gave her a folded up, black cloak. She reached out for it with unsteady hands. “He wanted you to have this,” the Headmaster said quietly.

Looking down at the familiar robe, Lily instantly cried out in horror as she saw the dark ruby stains. Falling to her knees, the young widow began to wail in agony. “No!” she screamed. “No! Oh God, please no!” She buried her face within the soft folds of her husband’s cloak. The sweet scent of his sweat mixed with cloves filled her nostrils, causing her to weep harder.

“No, no!” she bawled. “Not my Sev! Please not my Severus!”

And from that day on, a piece of Lily Ann Snape died along with her husband’s good name.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Next chapter Severus has to make a choice, a choice that will change his life forever.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1889