Alea Iacta Est by EllaEleniel
Past Featured StorySummary: After a series of tests to discover why Harry's magic has become erratic, a secret is revealed, one hidden for over fifteen years. But not all secrets disappear without consequence, leaving Severus to learn that potions cannot heal everything.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Healer Snape, Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: Alea Iacta Est
Chapters: 45 Completed: No Word count: 170990 Read: 433715 Published: 29 Jul 2009 Updated: 23 May 2012
Like Father, Like Son? by EllaEleniel
Author's Notes:
Thanks to everyone who voted for AIE to reach Featured Status! This story started off as a simple idea, and I never thought I'd get the response that I have. Thanks again and enjoy the new chapter!

Severus took the stack of jeans from Harry's lap and set them onto the coffee table in front of them. Why did he care? There was something about Harry, how he continued to survive against all odds, how he was still very much a child needing affection and approval despite everything else. His son was a fighter who refused to break yet Severus had seen these qualities maybe not to the extent of Harry's but the same ones nonetheless in other children. Even so, those children hadn't grown on him as much as Harry had. Was it the intangible parental bond that most believed in despite not knowing Harry was his child until two days ago? No. Severus' feelings changed towards Harry before the paternity potion turned red.

"Sir?" his son scooted back, his eyes averted to the floor. "It's okay. I understand."

"Harry," Severus ran his hand through his son's hair. "My silence doesn't mean you assumed wrong. I'm merely looking for the right words."

"Oh," the child blushed. "It doesn't need to be a speech."

"I'm well aware you don't enjoy my lectures," Severus raised an eyebrow at his son while the back of his mind worked to put his feelings into words. "I think you lost Gryffindor more points this year for not paying attention during lecture than I took from both of the Weasley twins combined."

"Potions was in the morning, and it's not like I was sleeping all that well," Harry bit his lip. "I really liked the very first lecture you gave, you know the brew fame, bottle glory, and put a stopper in death one."

"You remember that? I thought your attention was elsewhere," the Potions Master slid his hand down to Harry's neck, coaxing the tight muscles to relax. How many times had he assumed the worst of his child just because of his self-imposed hatred of James Potter, the man who gave him the best gift anyone could ever receive?

"I was taking notes," Harry bowed his head. "A little to the left."

Moving his hand to the left, Severus sighed. How could he possibly show Harry how much he cared for him? Furthermore, just what had those blasted Muggles done to create these insecurities and disbeliefs in his child? "Is the pain returning?"

"I feel achy and sore, but I'm not in pain."

"Good. If it gets worse before we reapply the salve, let me know," he added his left hand to help massage the stiffness out of his child's muscles. "You know I don't think of you as The-Boy-Who-Lived, the Chosen One, whichever name people are referring to you as these days, correct?"

"Yeah," Harry's squeezed his thigh. "You always punished me like you would any other misbehaving child. I never liked it, but I can see that now."

"Am I hurting you?" Severus stilled.

"No and yes. It's the hurt yet it feels good feeling," Harry leaned into his hands. "Please?"

Severus continued his massage of Harry's upper back though he made sure his hands didn't rub as hard or as deep. "I'm not good at expressing my emotions. I never have been. Your mother somehow knew how to interpret my moods and feelings, so I didn't have the need to express myself. I'm unsure what to say in order to make you believe I care for you."

"It's okay," his child assured, but Severus knew better. It took him years to come to terms with his parents loving him after he was shipped off to his relatives at nine. How could he show Harry the warm feeling that wrapped around his heart after seeing his child smile and the helplessness and desperation he felt when Harry was whimpering in pain? Perhaps there was only one way to truly get through to his child.

"Go get your wand," Severus withdrew his hands.

"What?" Harry snapped his head up to meet his eyes.

"I'm going to show you how much I care rather than tell you," he waved towards the hall.

"Why do I need my wand?" the child stayed seated.

"Unless you're sure you can perform Legilimency without a wand, I suggest you retrieve it if you wish for an answer to your question," Severus whispered.

His mind was screaming for him to change his mind, to not let his child breach his ironclad mental barriers, but Harry needed to feel the positive emotions Severus held for his child. He wasn't sure if they qualified as far as the unconditional love a parent felt for his child, it had been too long since he'd allow himself to feel love of any kind, but he had hope that one day they'd both feel unconditional love towards each other.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Harry returned to the sofa with his wand.

"Good idea or not, it is necessary," Severus shoved his hands under his legs so his instincts couldn't take over and fire off a spell or hex at his son. "I'm going to push two memories I want you to see in front of my shields. View them and then retreat from my mind."

"If you're really, absolutely positive that you're sure," his child held his wand up with an unsteady hand.

"I'm sure," he nodded. "Give me a few moments to push those memories in front of my shield and then cast Legilimens."

"Okay," Harry gulped. 

Severus closed his eyes. He took a deep, calming breath to center himself before pushing two memories to the forefront of his mind where Harry would have no problem viewing them. He wanted his child to feel cared for...loved... and the small breach of privacy was nothing but a blip on the radar if it worked.

With one final calming breath, Severus opened his eyes and connected with the emerald green ones of his son, ready to allow someone into his mind and soul for the first time since he was Harry's age.

 

*~AIE~*

Harry raised his wand, his left hand wrapped around his right wrist to steady his hand. "Legilimens," he whispered, the spell sucking him into Severus' mind. There were two glowing orbs floating in front of a wall composed of a completely translucent diamond that was as tall and high as Harry could see. Intrigued, Harry walked past the floating orbs that resembled the glass orb that held the Prophecy too much for his liking to the diamond wall. He brushed his hand against the smooth surface of the wall, squinting to see the large lock centered on a large iron wall. He couldn't see a space for a key, but there were eight large dials containing both letters and numbers.

Of course, Severus wouldn't make breaking into his mind easy. The man was too paranoid and prepared for that. Harry wondered what lay beyond the lock. Were there more walls or maybe a logic game like Severus used to help protect the Philosopher's Stone?

Harry knocked on the diamond wall. If he was really quick, it might be possible to get past the diamond wall and closer to the locked wall before Severus noticed. He'd never figure out the lock, even if he had a few hours, but if he could breach the diamond wall it might give him a better idea of how to shield his own mind.

"Hey!" Harry yelled as a gold wisp wrapped around his torso and swept him off his feet. He reached towards the wall, but there was nothing for him to grab onto to. The wisp carried him away from the wall much like a cat carrying her kitten until he hung suspended before the glowing orbs. Without warning, the wisp disappeared and Harry fell to the ground in a heap. Grumbling, Harry untangled himself and stood up. "This was your idea!"

In response, the right orb nudged his chest. Harry rolled his eyes, but grabbed the orb before Severus sent something nastier his way. A bright light flashed the second his hands enveloped the orb. Harry felt sucked into the orb, his body that wasn't really his real body compressed and stretched until he didn't feel like himself at all. He could think, but he couldn't move, or at least he couldn't move the body that surrounded him. 

As the bright light cleared, Harry's vision came into focus and the first thing he saw was himself sleeping in his room in Severus' quarters. Was that how he really looked? He looked thinner than he thought he did and his skin was too white, almost translucent despite the dimmed lighting. His left arm was extended out from under him as he slept and even then his fingers trembled, proving to Harry the memory was from the night before or that morning.

Harry went along with Severus as the man walked towards the bed, not that he had a choice. The feeling was so strange. He could feel his professors' emotions, but he was still Harry. He watched...no lifted, he could feel Severus' body moving, the blankets and sheets down past his feet before waving his hand to make the tank top covering his memory self's body disappear. Harry gasped. Seeing himself covered was bad enough, but now he could counts his ribs and his breathing looked exaggerated with barely any fat to cover his torso.

"Cold," memory Harry stirred, his hands reaching out for the blankets only to close around air.

"Shh," Severus rolled him onto his stomach after casting a warming charm around the room. "I need to reapply the salve before you can have your blankets back."

Harry heard himself whine; all the while he never opened his eyes. He didn't remember this memory at all, despite it happening that morning. He had figured Severus had come in and applied the salve before he left to run his errands, but Harry thought he slept right through it.

"Please, no," memory Harry whimpered as Harry felt Severus' hands move down to rest on his lower back.

"Harry, you know it's necessary," Severus sighed. "I'll be as gentle as I can." Compassion laced with a fierce protectiveness wrapped around him, but this wasn't the compassion Mrs. Weasley or even Sirius had shown him. This compassion was deeper, more like l...lo...the four letter word that until now Harry hadn't believed any adult besides his dead parents felt for him.

He feel into a daze as he watched and felt Severus apply the tiniest amount of pressure possible to his lower back to ensure the salve was effective. He wanted to curl up and stay locked in that foreign warmth forever. It was safe and wonderful, but like all good things in his life, the memory ended as Severus tucked the blankets back around his sleeping body.

Finding himself returned to the diamond wall, Harry pulled out of Severus' mind without viewing the second memory. He didn't need to see it.

 

*~AIE~*

 

Severus cradled his child's upper body as he waited for Harry to recover from the Legilimency spell. It was always disorientating to invade someone's mind and return, but especially so the first time. He hoped his son had seen everything he needed to and that Harry would never need to ask why Severus cared again, but like any abused child Harry would need the reassurance time and time again before he truly believed that Severus cared for him and wasn't going anywhere.

"Harry," Severus whispered, "Do you want to lie down for a bit and rest?"

His son nodded against his chest and wrapped his thin arms around his neck. Severus hadn't meant to imply he'd carry his nearly sixteen-year-old son to bed yet again and he wouldn't if his son weren't so ill, but if Harry felt too disoriented or drained it was better than having his child fall and injuring himself. Besides at thirty-six, Severus was young enough to handle his child's weight.

Standing and lifting his child into his arms, the Potions Master walked across the room dodging the numerous bags along the way, down the hall, and into Harry's bedroom, his steps even and sure to create a smooth ride for his child. "I trust this won't become a habit?" he set Harry down on the bed.

"I'm not two," Harry rolled his eyes, pulling off his shirt as Severus grabbed the salve from the nightstand. "Anyway, I bet if Madam Pomfrey knew of my nerve damage she wouldn't let me up for a few days at least."

"Brat," Severus tapped Harry on his shoulder with his left hand, his right hand holding a glob of salve. "Lie down." He waited for Harry to slide down and get comfortable before starting to rub the minty salve into his child's body again, before the pain had a chance to return. It was obvious Harry was using his nerve damage as an excuse for Severus to coddle him, but if any child deserved a bit of coddling, it was Harry.

His child was asleep within minutes of Harry rolling onto his back. Severus finished applying the salve and scourgified his hands, but remained at his son's side watching as Harry's chest rose and fell.

A few minutes passed before Harry cracked one eye open and curled up onto his side, a lock of hair falling into his face. Severus brushed the piece back and ran his hand through the dark locks as his son let out a content sigh. His child's hair was longer than he normally wore it, another thing Harry neglected after Black's death. He could use a haircut, but it would be pointless. Too soon the soft, unmanageable locks would start to fall out, and he wouldn't be able to soothe Harry by running his hand through his hair. Once his son's hair started to fall out, he'd suggest shaving it off, but until then Severus wouldn't bring it up. He'd miss the mop that was his child's hair, despite it being a clone of James Potter's. That didn't matter any more.

Severus brushed the hair back from his son's forehead to reveal the lightening bolt scar. It was pink, not an angry red, but definitely not faded and inactive. The Dark Lord was most likely sending Harry reminders through the scar on a consistent basis, but between all the side effects from his treatments and doses of pain medication Harry didn't even realize it. Whether he liked it or not, Severus couldn't forget there was a war going on outside his quarters, one that most of the wizarding world believed was his son's war to fight.

"It's not your job," Severus murmured, reopening the jar of salve. He dipped a finger into the jar before tracing the famous scar, applying just enough pressure to rub the salve in. "It never was, and I refuse to let it be yours. You're naught but a child, a child that should be protected just as every other child has the right to be."

Harry pulled the blanket tighter around himself.

"How do you they expect you to defeat the Dark Lord when you can't even take care of yourself?" Severus stood up and retrieved another comforter from Harry's wardrobe. He spread it out over his son, tucking it around the small frame that looked frailer every day but continued to take punch after punch. "Albus is mad if he thinks you'll be ready to face the Dark Lord soon. You're not a murderer, and no one should expect you to become one."

Severus ran his hand through Harry's hair one more time. A few hairs clung to his fingers, but not any more than normal. He balled up the stray hairs and tossed the tiny ball into the air before sending a weak Incendio at the ball. It caught fire and sizzled, the ashes of Harry's hair floating down to the floor. With a wave of his hand the ashes were banished to the fireplace where they'd be scattered and mixed in with all the other ashes.

"Not on my watch," the Potions Master leaned down and kissed his son's temple. "The Dark Lord will have to kill me before he gets to you."

Setting a charm to alert him when Harry woke, Severus tiptoed out of his child's room, leaving the door cracked just in case. He walked down the hall to his own room, a place he once spent his nights reading before falling asleep, but now it had been reduced to a place to crash when Harry didn't need him throughout the night and catch a few precious hours of sleep.

"Meow," Flurry stretched out from her nest in the middle of the unmade bed. The white fur ball sat up, her eyes blinking as her pupils adjusted to the sudden change in light.

Severus sat down on the side of his bed and pulled off his boots. He'd meant to start brewing the memory restorative draught but that could wait a day or two. Flurry could use a bit of attention and he could get a bit of work done while giving himself the luxury of sitting in bed or maybe even take a short nap. Tomorrow and Friday would no doubt be trying days with more chemo and the intrathecal chemo injection on top of that, and he'd need all the energy he could get.

Summoning the mail, the Potions Master leaned back against the pillows and slid on his glasses before a pile of envelopes flew into the room. He snatched them out of the air and set them down on his lap as Flurry curled up on his side. He opened the first letter, his right hand moving to pet the tiny monster while he scanned the letter asking if he'd be willing to give a presentation on teaching NEWT Potions. Even if he did have time, he wasn't interested in attending a teaching conference. He wrote a quick reply and moved onto the next item in his pile.

Most of the mail was from disgruntled parents who couldn't believe their child hadn't passed Potions. He set those letters aside to respond to when he needed an outlet for his frustrations. Severus always got letters from parents at the end of term, but it seemed the letters rarely amounted to parents asking for tutoring recommendations or progress reports throughout term. The children continued to receive abysmal grades until they could drop Potions after sitting and failing the OWL.

At the bottom of the pile were two envelopes with familiar handwriting, one from the youngest Weasley boy and the other from Poppy. Severus opened Weasley's letter first, finding a smaller envelope with Harry's name on the front of it tucked behind his letter. The handwriting was neat, without a drop of ink out of place. It was no doubt part of Weasley's punishment for upsetting Harry. He adjusted his glasses before reading the Molly-approved letter.

 

Professor Snape,

I'm sorry I upset Harry. I really didn't mean to, and I hope that if Harry accepts my apology that you'll let me visit again. It was horrible of me as your guest to make Harry feel uncomfortable. I'm also sorry for saying bad things about you in your home. I shouldn't have implied you're poisoning Harry with the Muggle potions. If he's okay with staying with you, I should be okay with it, too.

Please give my letter to Harry. I understand it may take him a few days to reply, but I really am sorry and don't want this to change our friendship. I told him in the letter, but will you tell him congratulations for passing Potions for me again? I know how hard it was for him at the end of the year and how hard it is to pass your class or how easy it is to fail.

Thank you,

Ronald Weasley

 

Severus nodded his approval. The letter wasn't the best-written apology he'd ever received, but Weasley seemed sincere and by the verbiage, it was written by Weasley, not his mother. Further down the page, Molly had written him a small note.

 

Severus,

My son's actions were completely out of line and disrespectful. He's being punished, and if two week's worth of cleaning the worst rooms in the place we're staying at along with laundry duty isn't enough, I don't know what is. By then, I hope Harry has forgiven Ron and is ready for visitors again. I will accompany Ron when that time comes to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Albus told us of the teaching moves that are being made for next year. As much as I wish for a miracle, I know Ron won't be taking your NEWT Potions class, but Arthur and I hope he receives a passing grade on his OWL and can continue his studies with the subject. Do you have any suggestions of what he should study and which potions to practice brewing to be ready for next year?

Molly

 

Severus pulled out a new sheet of parchment and wrote a separate reply to each Weasley. He was used to receiving letters from Molly concerning her children considering the twins one year tried to break the record for most letters sent home in a year. He listed the Potions and theories Weasley needed to master before attempting NEWT level Potions. Weasley only missed passing Potions by a few points, and it was likely he'd pass his OWL, since the OWLs weren't graded as harshly as he graded.

With that reply done and ready to be sent, Severus turned his attention to the letter from Poppy. Why she sent him a letter instead of flooing down to talk to him was a mystery. Was her letter an apology, too? He opened the envelope to find another envelope tucked inside with Poppy's loopy handwriting in the bottom right corner and his name written in unfamiliar handwriting in the middle.

 

Severus,

These are the results for that test you ordered.

 

Closing his eyes, Severus set down the envelope. Inside were the test results indicating if he was a match incase Harry needed a bone marrow transplant. Now that the results were in his hand, Severus wasn't sure if he wanted to know. If he were a match, he'd be relieved and happy knowing that if Harry needed a bone marrow transplant they wouldn't needed to search for a donor.

But if they didn't match, Harry's chances of finding a matching wizard or witch were slim to none. They could test his parents and his sister, but the best bet for a magical child for a perfect match, magically and genetically, was for a matching parent unlike a Muggle child where the most likely match came from a sibling. And without a match they'd have to resort to finding a match with a Muggle and that risked turning Harry into a squib.

Severus picked up the envelope before letting it drop back into his lap. He could live with his child as a squib, even though it would be unfair to Harry. At least his son would be alive, but what would happen if they couldn't find a match at all? No, he would find a match for his child if he needed to Imperio everyone he crossed paths with to get tested. Someone had to be a match for his child. He just hoped it was him.

With a nudge of encouragement from Flurry, Severus tore open the envelope, his eyes darting across the results until they landed on the words inside a box at the bottom of the page.

 

Blood Match: 6 out of 6, 10 out of 10 Perfect Match

Magical Match: 60% Match, Patient would need to take magical suppressors prior to transplant

 

They matched. 

To be continued...
End Notes:
How was Sev's answer? He and I had some troubles figuring out what to say to Harry. I hope it came across well.

I'll be leaving for London in a few days, and I'll be gone for a month, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to update next. I'll have internet access, and I'll try to get some writing done on the plane, but who knows what'll happen once I'm there. I know I'll be quite busy, so hang in there. I'm not abandoning this story. Thanks for understanding. :)


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1891