Alea Iacta Est by EllaEleniel
Past Featured StorySummary: After a series of tests to discover why Harry's magic has become erratic, a secret is revealed, one hidden for over fifteen years. But not all secrets disappear without consequence, leaving Severus to learn that potions cannot heal everything.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Healer Snape, Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: Alea Iacta Est
Chapters: 45 Completed: No Word count: 170990 Read: 433790 Published: 29 Jul 2009 Updated: 23 May 2012
Defense Against the Headmaster's Manipulations by EllaEleniel
Author's Notes:
Severus hears what Dumbledore has to say and Harry just refuses to be normal.

Sitting down into the chair, Severus waited for Albus to start, his arms crossed. He didn't offer the Headmaster tea or any other beverage in hopes Albus made the visit quick. His students' essays needed grading, and tomorrow promised to be another long day.

"Tea?" Albus asked as if he were the host.

Severus scowled.

"No?" the Headmaster cocked his head to the side. "Firewhiskey it is then."

With a snap of his fingers, two glasses and a bottle of the strong liquid popped in front of Albus. He poured a drink for each of them even though Severus set his down by his chair upon receiving it, not intending to take one sip of it.

"Albus," Severus warned through gritted teeth, "I have much I need to be doing."

"Of course, my boy. This will just take a moment," Albus said, ignoring Severus' annoyance. "There are two things actually though they are not connected."

Severus wanted to bang his head against the wall as he fought the urge to pull out his wand. If Albus weren't his boss, he'd send the old man flying out the door. He had had enough of the Headmaster for one day.

"The good news first. Perhaps you may even be persuaded to take a lemon drop," Albus decided, tapping his canary yellow robes pocket where the trusty tin of lemon drops resided. "I am in need of a Defense teacher."

"No! Absolutely not!" Severus declared, his arms waving in dismissal knowing where Albus was going with that statement.

"But, my boy, you are the best person for the job now that you are free from your spying duties," Albus reasoned. "War is upon us, and the students must be prepared."

"Be that as it may, I refuse to teach immature children who have the license to hex each other in my presence. Potions is disastrous enough as it is. At least there, the students aren't in danger from each other," Severus said. He couldn't imagine dealing with a Longbottom in Defense. He'd end up hexing the student himself.

Despite the rumors to the contrary, Severus had no desire to teach Defense Against the Dark Arts. It wasn't challenging for one thing. With his caliber of magic teaching simple stunning spells and basic shields was almost an insult when he was able to do both with nonverbal wandless magic by the time he finished his sixth year. Some said that qualified Severus to teach Defense even more, but he had no interest in the lower level spells.

In Potions there was a difference.  While his younger students brewed simple potions he could brew in his sleep, it was all about mastering technique and looking for the next Potions prodigy. Anyone with adequate magical levels could be taught to master the Defense Against the Dark Arts curriculum, but not Potions. It took driven and talented students to succeed in his subject, and those students were the ones Severus was interested in teaching. 

"You would have free reign when it came to the curriculum," Albus tried to convince him. "The students need a competent wizard to be prepared for the war."

"And they didn't before?" Severus countered. He refused to budge. "I'm sure you could find someone to teach Defense. Why not bring in an Auror? Nymphadora Tonks is competent and an Order member."

"I don't trust her with the N.E.W.T. students. They need someone who fought and survived the first war."

Albus had a point. Severus had to give him that. It still didn't mean the students needed him.

Need. Harry!

That was right. Harry needed him, needed him to not be the Defense teacher or have a full schedule at all. He had thought ahead to Potter's next year without thinking about how it would affect him or his classes.

"I can't, Albus, but there is something we must address about my teaching schedule next year," Severus said.

"If you're not willing to teach Defense, what is there to discuss?" Albus questioned defensively, crossing his arms like a pouting toddler.

Good. The old man deserved it after assuming everyone will follow his orders like they were his personal chess pieces.

"I won't be able to teach a full schedule. Mr. Potter," Severus refused to give the Headmaster the satisfaction of hearing him call the boy Harry, "will need my assistance throughout the day."

"Harry will be in class, Severus," Albus waved his hand at the issue as if the comment had no bearing on their current subject.

"Most likely, Mr. Potter will not be attending classes once term starts." Severus felt his anger rise and his patience slip, but before he let it go, he cast a one-way silencing charm around himself and the Headmaster to keep Harry unaware of their conversation, but would allow Severus to hear if Harry needed anything.

"Of course he will. A few medications shouldn't stop him from attending classes," Albus continued to ignore the severity of Potter's illness.

"You don't get it!" Severus yelled unleashing his pent up anger. "This could kill him and the treatments are similar to a poison!"

There. He screamed out the words he wanted to yell at someone all day, but he found it didn't help.

"I am sure they are not that bad, my boy. You know Muggles and their warning labels, always overacting," Albus said refilling his glass with firewhiskey.

"You have no idea how bad the chemotherapy is going to effect the child. He'll be in pain, vomiting, losing his hair, and those are just the most common side effects. It's possible he'll even lose his eyelashes!" Severus seethed, finding himself feeling oddly protective over the child that no one seemed to stand up for. "Not to mention he'll have no immune system to speak of meaning the common cold could kill him!"

Albus' jaw dropped, his eyes wide, and if Severus was correct, the Headmaster shifted back in his seat. It was more satisfying than blasting a spell dummy to tiny pieces. Well it was until Severus remembered he was going to have to explain the horrors of chemotherapy to Potter in the morning.

"Is that why your wish to modify your quarters to have an entrance chamber with the floo there? I thought it to be an odd request, one I thought Dobby had wrong," Albus asked, the pieces coming together for him.

"Yes. My quarters will need to be as germ free as possible. I plan to charm the entrance with sterilization charms to protect Potter," Severus informed the Headmaster, his anger dying as he felt a migraine coming on. So many things needed to be done before Harry's treatments started in less than a week. He wondered if there was enough time to accomplish everything.

"I see. How many classes will you be able to handle?" Albus returned to the discussion of next year, a relatively safe topic. 

"I shouldn't be gone from my quarters more than two to three hours a day," Severus said, trying to calculate how many classes that meant. "Poppy will help when she can, but she'll have other students to look after. There may be some days I cannot leave Potter alone and Poppy will be unable to watch over him. You should be prepared for that eventuality concerning my classes."

Severus pinched the bridge of his nose. He needed to sleep off this migraine because he couldn't take another headache potion until morning. Albus was only making it worse. Why were they discussing this anyway when this year hadn't even ended yet?

"With the right schedule that leans towards four classes. Perhaps, but no you wouldn't," Albus thought out loud though Severus knew the Headmaster meant to do it to get Severus' attention.

"Spit it out, Albus. I'm not in the mood for games," Severus growled.

"Would you be willing to teach N.E.W.T. level Potions and Defense? If you keep the same entrance requirements as you do for Potions that should result in one class for each year per subject?" Albus proposed.

"Yes," Severus agreed without a thought to the contrary. It was Christmas come early to be rid of the lower years.

"Perfect. Horace can take the lower years along with passing N.E.W.T. students who didn't receive an O, but still wish to pursue the subject. The same can be done with Defense. Your classes will be what the Muggles consider Honors classes," Albus said his eyes twinkling in the way that indicated he got what he wanted.

Severus didn't care if Albus thought he won this round. He was free from all those nitwitted dunderheads who did nothing but blow up their cauldrons. But wait, Albus mentioned Horace as in Horace Slughorn, his old professor and Head of Slytherin?

"Horace is returning? You were so sure I'd teach Defense that you already hired another Potions Master?" Severus barked in disbelief. The old man was conniving, but this was just crazy. "How preposterous to assume what I will and will not do without consulting with me first!"

"I was sure you'd be agreeable to teach Defense, but this situation will be even better," Albus smiled making Severus angrier. "Horace has agreed to come out of retirement. I perhaps mentioned Harry to Horace and well," Albus shrugged. "that was all it took."

"Mr. Potter will not be in Horace's class. I won't allow it," Severus demanded. He refused to let Slughorn collect Potter for his fame.

"Ah, but Severus, are you forgetting your own requirements? Do you have that much faith in Harry's O.W.L. score?" Albus asked in an innocent tone.

"Mr. Potter and I have already discussed his options concerning my class. I expect him on my class roster, regardless of his O.W.L. score," Severus said using his privileges of a professor to have final say in such matters. "Unless there was a change regarding professors' rights, I can admit who I wish in my N.E.W.T. class."

"Yes, concerning Harry. That is the other thing we must discuss," Albus sighed not taking his loss well. "It seems there is some confusion involving who exactly is Harry's guardian."

"What?" Severus balked. "How is that possible?"

"I'm not sure, but when I went to get the medical proxy forms for you to sign at the Ministry, I made the clerk check that Petunia Dursley was Harry's guardian because his guardian must also sign the form giving permission for you to be Harry's medical proxy," Albus explained. "His file is sealed on top of that meaning no one can open it until Harry is of age himself and he wishes to see it. However, I was able to speak to Wizarding Child Services, and they were agreeable after taking in account his age that as long as Harry agrees, you may be his medical proxy. I was given forms from WCS for you two to fill out, but I had to inform you of the changes."

Was anything involving Potter normal? They couldn't even complete a simple form without running into problems. Severus nodded. "Is that all?"

"Yes, my boy, it is. I believe we accomplished many things. I'll leave you to your stack of essays," Albus stood up, in preparation to leave. Finally! "Oh, and Poppy asked me to pass these on to you," Albus pulled out a stack of pamphlets and handed them to the younger wizard. "The specialist gave Poppy those. She made some notes for you."

"Thank you, Albus."

"My pleasure, my boy. Are you sure you don't want a lemon drop?" Albus asked as he reached the floo.

"No," Severus barked. He did not want a bloody lemon drop.

"As you wish," Albus said. "Maybe next time."

Severus wanted to throw the lemon drop tin at the Headmaster as he exited via the floo. He never had and would never accept one of those sugary lemon candies. Getting up, he placed the pamphlets on the coffee table to peruse in the morning on his way into his bedroom to sleep, exhausted and irritable after the day's events.

 

------

 

Harry woke up feeling somewhat well rested for a change though it took a little longer than normal for him to feel awake. And his nose and left arm itched! He woke up several times during the night to itch both areas. It was annoying, but if that meant the pain from his test went away, he'd gladly put up with being itchy for a short time.

Stretching, Harry laid in bed for a few minutes. It felt fantastic to just lay there wrapped up in warm blankets, smooth sheets, and on a soft mattress that hugged his body. He had no idea what time it was, but his stomach growled, indicating he should think about getting up. 

The teen ignored his stomach for a few more minutes. He couldn't believe he was in Snape's quarters and got the best night of sleep he'd had in months. Everything about yesterday seemed surreal to Harry. If it weren't for the blue covers and the sound of waves, Harry would've thought it was all just a horrible nightmare. But it wasn't. The soreness in his back attested to it.

Realization dawned on Harry as a bit of fear rose in his mind. They were going to go over his treatments today. He suddenly wasn't so hungry anymore, and it was fruitless to put the discussion off any longer. He'd only worry more wondering what they were.

Harry crawled out of bed and staggered out to the sitting room. He found Snape sitting at a moderate sized table in the nook behind the sofa, parchment strewn about the whole table with a near empty red inkwell, rimless glasses set on his face. Snape wore glasses?

"Good afternoon," Snape said, snatching the glasses off his face before clearing a spot for Harry to sit down.

"Afternoon?" Harry asked while sitting on Snape's left. He couldn't have possibly slept that long. He never slept past nine.

"It just turned noon," Severus informed him, summoning a trey from the kitchen. The Potions Master set down a plate filled with scrambled eggs, toast, and a bowl of fruit in front of Harry along with a large glass of orange juice. "Eat."

Harry's eyes lit up at the glass of orange juice. Being in the wizarding world for most of the year made him forget how much he enjoyed other juices besides pumpkin juice, and even at the Dursley's it was a rarity since most of the time his Aunt made him drink nothing but water.

"Thank you, sir." Harry tucked into his meal, sampling a few bites of each thing. Everything was delicious, and he managed to finish off half the plate and the whole glass of juice.

"Finished?" Snape asked when Harry pushed his plate away.

Harry nodded and with a flick of his wand, Severus banished the dishes back to the kitchen, which reminded Harry that he had yet to get his wand back from the man. "Sir? Can I have my wand back?"

"May I," Snape corrected, pulling out Harry's holly wand from his robes pocket and handing it out to him handle first. "I don't think I need to tell you that it would be wise not to attempt any magic around others."

"I won't." Harry took his wand back from his professor with a smile at the warmth spreading up his arm.

"Good. I had a house-elf retrieve a change of clothes for you. They're sitting on your chaise lounge. After your shower we have a few things to discuss, and then I thought you might wish to spend the rest of the day with your friends?" Snape proposed.

"Uh, sure," Harry answered. It was strange having someone schedule his day for him. At the same time, it made things easier for him, and yet Snape's questioning tone at the end indicated that Snape wasn't going to force the schedule onto him. His professor, in his own way, had asked Harry what he'd like to do with the rest of his day, and he wasn't sure any adult ever gave him the option, not even Sirius.

"I need to tend to your back before you shower. Take off your shirt and lay on your stomach on your bed. I'll be in there in a moment," Snape said while pushing his chair back from the table.

Harry did as he was told and not a minute went by before Snape entered his room with a few supplies in hand. Unconsciously, the teen itched his left arm.

"P-Harry, stop," the Professor held up Harry's left arm for a better look. "When did your arm start itching?"

"Sometime while I was sleeping. Why?"

"Did you not notice?" Snape let go of Harry's arm, so he could look at the angry red rash forming on his arm.

"No," Harry said, frightened. Was this the cancer attacking his body? Would it spread to his whole body until he itched himself crazy? "My pajamas were long-sleeved."

Harry propped himself up on his elbows so he could better look at his professor who was in the middle of scanning him for something. Maybe it wasn't related to his cancer then?

"Just what I thought," Severus said a moment later. "Did you know you have a slight allergy to latex?"

"What?" Harry asked, his forehead scrunching up in confusion. "Latex?"

"It's a Muggle material found in many things including latex gloves like the ones I put on my hands before I drew your blood yesterday."

"So, it has nothing to do with my cancer?" The teen hoped the answer was no. He couldn't stand being itchy all the time.

"No, and before you ask, it's not a bad thing. We'll just have to make sure all your medical supplies are latex-free," Severus said as he started examining Harry's back. "Lay back down."

The teen felt Snape peel the bandage off before rubbing something cold that stung a bit on the biopsy site. "Does it hurt?"

"I'm sore, but nothing like yesterday. It's uncomfortable in that annoying kind of way," Harry admitted.

"That's normal. Let me know if it gets worse, or if you need something for the soreness," the Potions Master said while applying another bandage.

"Yes, sir," Harry answered thinking he might actually consider Snape's offer if he needed to.

After an impermeable charm, Harry passed Snape's inspection. "Go shower while I retrieve a cream for your arm from Madame Pomfrey," Snape ordered cleaning up his supplies.

Harry walked to his bathroom, clean clothes in hand feeling taken care of, something he never thought he'd feel. He smiled and started the water for his shower. As he took off his glasses, he remembered Snape's. He'd have to remember to ask the man about them later. 

To be continued...
End Notes:
Who won? Severus or Dumbledore? Next chapter we'll get to Harry's reaction to chemo and we'll soon be seeing Ron and Hermione.

Please review.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1891