Sacrifices by Raven Knight
Summary: Harry Potter goes missing less than a day after being dropped on the doorstep of the Dursley home. One person must determine who his friends and enemies are as he protects the boy under the Headmaster's watch. Unusual favors are called in, unlikely friendships develop, and the shadow of betrayal grows darker...
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Charlie, Draco, Dumbledore, James, Lily, Lucius, Original Character, Other, Remus, Tonks
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Baby fic, Child fic, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Character Death, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 36 Completed: No Word count: 196901 Read: 175460 Published: 31 Jul 2009 Updated: 01 Mar 2013
Chapter 15 - News of Relations - Part I by Raven Knight
Author's Notes:
New faces in the Great Hall can cause a little too much excitement.

(This chapter is dedicated to Pandora and Ponytail Goddess for being amazing reviewers and keeping with this story from almost the beginning! You two make my day so much brighter with your reviews! Thank you so much!)

 

Severus Snape and Ophelia Fay stood outside the open doors to the Great Hall listening to the sounds of the student population approaching for dinner.  Tevin was excited as he looked into the Great Hall for the first time.  "Daddy, go!"  He shifted in Severus's arms.  Severus and Ophelia were staring ahead looking nervously at the empty tables.  The staff table never looked farther from the doors than it did that night.  Some of the other teachers were taking their seats from where they entered through the back entrance.  Tevin began to fidget excitedly, his little hands banging on his father's chest. 

"Are you nervous?" Severus asked.  Both Ophelia and Tevin did not know to whom he asked the question.

"A little," she whispered.  Tevin shook his head.  He was far too excited to be nervous. 

"I'm sorry that we have to pretend to be married, Ophelia."

"It's okay.  It'll just be...a while before I get used to everyone calling me Mrs. Snape."

Severus's lips twitched, before his face was transformed into a bitter grimace, remembering the red-haired woman he once called ‘Mrs. Snape' affectionately until he hid her as ‘Mrs. Potter.'  He did not want Ophelia to be called by a title to which only one woman had the right.  He was about to speak when she did first.

"I don't want Tevin to think of me as his mother.  Don't have him call me that."  She looked up at him with determined eyes. 

Tevin looked up at Severus, wondering what he would say.  The little boy did not want to call her his mother either.  He already had a mother.  His brow crinkled as he came to a disturbing question.  ‘Where did Mommy go?' 

Severus answered Ophelia.  "To be honest, I had no intention of my son calling you ‘mother,' but I'm glad you suggested it."  He met her eyes, and tried to ignore the fact that if it weren't for him in the first place, his Lily would be here instead of Ophelia.  His life would not have to be lies upon lies if Voldemort had attacked the other child born at the end of July.  Why did he choose Lily's son?  Why had he even delivered that prophecy?  All of this was his fault.  He looked away from his friend.

He barely heard her whisper, "Dumbledore is looking at us."  He looked up and saw the headmaster was speaking to Minerva McGonagall, but his eyes were angled to focus on the three of them in the entrance.  "How should we go in?" 

Even the weight of his son in his arms could not calm him at the moment.  "I suppose just side by side?  We aren't exactly supposed to be in...love."  He choked on the last word.  Tevin looked up at his father, before glaring at Ophelia, remembering that the last time his father was upset it was her fault.  She grew uncomfortable under the boy's hard glare that now so much resembled his father's. 

The noise of the students coming closer to the doors was growing.  Severus looked down at Ophelia and took a deep breath.  "Well..."

She nodded at him.  "Here we go."

Side by side they stepped into the Great Hall, walking down the center of the room, making a direct path to the staff table.  They were not really noticed yet by the other staff members except for the smallest of them.  Professor Flitwick looked at the trio with glittering eyes, their bold appearance finally confirming that the spells had worked.  That hurdle was cleared.  Now it was time to get the rest of the school's reaction. 

Severus led Ophelia around the side of the staff table, which he noticed had been extended to contain more of the staff than usual.  Did Dumbledore intend to announce the arrival of his son and Ophelia to every single person in Hogwarts?  With a slightly sick feeling in his stomach, Severus walked to his usual chair.  Ophelia took the one to his right.  Severus was glad that Flitwick had moved his seat to be beside him.  He'd always liked his old Charms Professor.  The half-goblin leaned into Severus after the wizard seated himself. 

"I received a curious owl this afternoon, Professor Snape, which mentioned that the Headmaster intended to make an important announcement at dinner."  Flitwick smiled mischievously at his former student.  He glanced meaningfully at the smiling Tevin who squirmed in excitement in Severus's arms.  "I wonder what that could mean." 

As though they were students late for class, the rest of the staff of Hogwarts bustled into the Great Hall and sat in their seats when their pupils arrived in the Great Hall.  The delicate-looking Defense Against the Dark Arts professor, Belladonna Bienskie, was surprised when she turned to her left intending to speak to her usual neighbor, Severus Snape, but found herself facing a young woman with brown hair.  "Oh!  And who are you?"

Ophelia stared at the woman with wide eyes.  She opened her mouth to reply when Belladonna asked another question.  She liked her questions to be answered right away.  If they weren't she moved on to another one.  She'd been asking questions non-stop since she was a very young child.  It was one of those habits that just never grew out of her.  It frustrated her students to no end.  "Are you a new professor?"

Ophelia found her voice.  "No.  I don't teach here."

Belladonna was confused.  "Then why are you here?  And in Professor Snape's seat?"

Severus leaned backward to be seen from behind Ophelia.  "Professor Bienskie, I would like you to meet my wife, Ophelia." 

Belladonna's eyes softened.  "Oh.  This is a surprise.  When did you-"

Severus and Ophelia were spared that question when they heard the tinkling sound of a spoon against a wine goblet.  All of the gathered students and the faculty looked to the center of the staff table at the maker of the cheerful sound, Professor McGonagall.  "Attention!  Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words."

Dumbledore stood from his throne-like chair at the center of the table.  "Before we all begin our excellent dinner, I would like to announce that there will be two new faces in Hogwarts."  Not only were the students beginning to whisper to themselves, but the staff was too.  "I would like you all to welcome Professor Snape's wife, Mrs. Ophelia Snape, and their son, Tevin." 

The effect of the words was instantaneous!  There were many very surprised faces in the Great Hall.  Even McGonagall seemed surprised.  Severus never felt so noticed in his life.  He'd been under scrutiny before, but not like this!  Every single person in Hogwarts was looking at him.  Ophelia offered a polite smile to everyone looking her way.  "Smile, Severus." 

"I can't."  Ophelia looked at him, and he looked a little like a frightened animal.

"Then, look at your son.  You look terrified."

Severus's head snapped down to look at his son, who was completely enjoying the attention of hundreds of people staring at him.  Tevin smiled in excitement and clapped his little hands.  He looked up Severus and said one word that snapped everyone out of their stupor.  "Daddy!"  There was some clapping then from the students in their attempt to welcome the rest of their professor's family to Hogwarts.  Chatter erupted at the same time.  The staff joined in, unless they were among the professors that were making their way to gather around the Snape family. 

McGonagall amazingly got there first, even with having to go around Dumbledore's chair.  "Severus, I didn't know you had a child." 

"We were protecting him."

McGonagall reached out her arms towards Severus, and he understood what she wanted.  Tevin only saw an unfamiliar older woman's arms coming at him.  He let out a small shriek and tried to burrow into Severus's chest.  "Oh dear," McGonagall said.  "I won't hurt you, Mr. Snape."

Severus looked up at his former professor.  "He still has a little separation anxiety from Ophelia and me." 

"Oh, that's understandable, but really if he can still see you..."  McGonagall reached out again. 

Tevin had peeked out from his father's robes and saw the scary woman coming at him again.  "No!" he cried. 

"Tevin!" Severus admonished.  "Professor McGonagall is kind."  He looked up at the Gryffindor Head of House.  "A little stern, but kind."

"Really, Severus.  You aren't exactly a teddy bear in your classes."

"Bear?" Tevin asked, his head poking up from the robes.  He and Severus both looked at McGonagall.

"Merlin, he looks like you, Severus," she said, as the two pairs of deep brown eyes gazed at her. 

"You have bear?" Tevin asked McGonagall. 

"I might have the bear," she said, realizing that it might be her chance to hold the boy.  "Would you like him?"

"Professor McGonagall!" Severus tried to protest her tricking his son.

Tevin was quicker and louder though.  He threw his arms to McGonagall as he shouted, "My bear!"  Without any response, McGonagall plucked the boy from his father's arms. 

Severus went to get him back, but Ophelia touched his arm gently.  He looked at her.  "No one will hurt him in front of the whole school." 

"But everyone wants to-"

"You haven't been around babies, have you?"  He shook his head.  Most of his knowledge of children consisted between the ages of eleven and seventeen.  "When there's a baby around, women will want to hold it.  It's natural."

Severus looked back towards McGonagall and saw that Ophelia seemed to be right.  There was a group of the female staff members gathered around McGonagall who managed to get Tevin settled just enough in her arms.  They were all making strange noises at his son.  It was like their vocabulary had instantly shrunk and rendered them only capable of babbling.  Did this happen with all women around babies?  Lily never acted like this in the memories she gave him.  Sirius Black did, but not Lily. 

Severus was surprised to see the librarian, Madam Pince, close to his son.  Madam Pomfrey's head was poking out from over McGonagall's shoulder.  Belladonna's hand had reached out to tickle Tevin's cheek, who kept jerking his head away like her fingers were annoying flies that needed to be flicked away.  Even Madam Hooch had shoved her way into the group.  He never thought the owl-like woman could resemble the bird more until now.  She was cooing at his son.  Lastly,  Professor Sprout had made her way over, dirt-covered clothing and all. 

McGonagall and Sprout were talking, and then, to Severus's surprise, McGonagall passed Tevin to the Herbology professor.  The Head of Hufflepuff reached her finger to the boy, and tried to tickle him like one of her plants and she said a string of words that made no sense together.  Some dirt got in Tevin's nose, and he sneezed loudly!  All of the women made a surprised sound like the child just did a trick.  Sprout grew nervous when the sneezing continued and she handed the boy back to McGonagall. 

"She works in dirt all the time, little Tevin.  Yes, she does," said Madam Hooch in a strangely infantile voice, as she took Tevin from McGonagall.  "We'll have you flying in no time.  Then you can fly all day with your Auntie Rolanda, won't we? Yes!"  Tevin looked at her with huge eyes, beginning to panic. 

Severus turned to Ophelia.  "This is unbearable, Ophelia."  He noticed that she wasn't even looking at him, but at the group.  "What is it?"

"It just got better."  Severus turned around just as Madam Hooch transferred his son to someone Severus did not want holding Tevin until the boy would be a little more able to defend himself.  Hagrid.  Severus was stricken still by Hooch's audacity to give his son to Hagrid! 

"‘ello, there, little tyke!" the half-giant said, as Madam Hooch gave the boy to him. 

McGonagall stood between the two, her hands hovering underneath Tevin in case someone dropped him.  "Now, Hagrid, hold him carefully." 

"I know, perfessor McGonagall," he growled.  Neither of them noticed that Tevin was so frightened that he'd started shaking and breathing quickly. 

Severus and Ophelia managed to stand when Tevin let out his first scream.  Hagrid stood there, holding the boy, with big eyes glossing over in nervous tears.  "Yer alrigh'.  Won't hurt ye."  Tevin kept on screaming, and began crying.  Severus and Ophelia were trying to get through the group of gathered women.  Hagrid looked at  McGonagall for support.  "‘m doin' this right, aren't I perfessor?" 

Whatever McGonagall was going to say was drowned out by Tevin's screaming.  "Daddy!  Daddy!"  The boy's face was wet with tears, and they kept coming even though his eyes were closed.  Hagrid began to shake nervously.  He knew the entire school was looking at him, wondering what he'd done to make the boy hysterical. 

"Hagrid!" shouted Severus as he made it through the female throng.  He reached out his arms and gently took his son from the half-giant. 

Hagrid looked at Severus with guilty eyes.  "I didn't hurt ‘im, Perfessor Snape.  I didn't hurt ‘im." 

"We know, Hagrid," Ophelia reassured the large man, as Severus worked to quiet his son.  All of the gathered women professors watched him, not wanting to miss their young colleague around a young child.  He was always so stern, so severe, and watching him with a little child seemed to soften him.  It was a bizarre transformation. 

"Jus' wanted te say ‘ello," Hagrid miserably mumbled. 

"It's okay, Hagrid," Ophelia said, gently. 

"Didn' mean te make ‘im cry, Mrs. Snape."  Ophelia decided to give up and let Hagrid talk.  Her reassurances weren't doing anything anyway. 

Severus had seated himself again in his chair at the staff table.  He held his still screaming son against his chest.  He ran his fingers through the boy's hair and stroked his scalp and began to sway slowly in his chair.  Professor Flitwick watched as Severus slowly managed to get Tevin's breathing back to normal.  The boy was hiccupping quietly, and his tears kept coming, soaking through Severus's clothing, but he did not mind.  He pressed Tevin's ear to his heart, hoping the rhythm would soothe him.  It had always worked with Lily when she was upset, and it seemed to work on their son before. 

Tevin mumbled, "Daddy.  Scared." 

"I know, Tevin.  I'm sorry."

"S'okay."  He hiccupped again. 

Flitwick leaned over, thinking it a good opportunity since Ophelia was talking to the group of witches...and Hagrid.  "She'd be proud of you."

Severus looked at Flitwick.  His voiced stopped in his throat.  He continued to sway with his son.  "Remember that, Severus.  Let that be your strength." 

Severus's attention on his old Charms professor was diverted when he heard Tevin miserably mumble against him.  "Daddy, feel bad."

"What?"

Before he could get a response or before Tevin could repeat himself, he found that his son's nerves had been stretched to the limit that night.  His son began coughing like he was heaving.  In only a few more seconds, Severus found his chest covered in vomit and tears.  He had to get his son out of here.  He looked at Flitwick.  "Tell Ophelia I took him home."  Flitwick nodded. 

He ignored Flitwick's sympathetic laughing as he left the Great Hall through the door near the staff table.  Let Ophelia deal with everyone else.  Severus thought to himself as he made his way to his quarters that it may have been too soon to bring Tevin to the Great Hall.  He held his son with one arm and drew his wand with the other and he vanished the vomit carefully.  Once he put away the wand again, he held his son gently with both arms. 

"Sorry," Tevin miserably whispered, thinking if he talked too loud, he might get sick on his father again. 

"It's alright, Tevin.  It's alright.  It was too much excitement for you, wasn't it?"  Tevin nodded, starting to cry again.  Severus stroked his son's hair softly.  "Hush, now.  We're going home."

"Waymus?"

"If you like we can visit him.  Would you like to?"  Tevin nodded against Severus.  "Alright.  We'll visit him as soon as we both clean up, alright?"  Tevin nodded again.  Severus made it to his quarters and had managed to clean the two of them up rather quickly.  He got Tevin ready to visit Remus before he hurriedly scribbled a note to Ophelia, letting her know where they were going to be. 

Severus lit the fireplace and tossed in the floo powder, and saying his destination clearly, before walking into the green flames. 

To be continued...
End Notes:
I found myself unexpectedly creative and wrote a very, very long chapter that I needed to split into two.

Belladonna Bienskie is my own character; she is not canon. Writing Hagrid Speak was really a pain. Sorry if it's a little off. I did my best.

Thanks to everyone who has been reviewing. You guys are all wonderful!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1892