Sacrifices by Raven Knight
Summary: Harry Potter goes missing less than a day after being dropped on the doorstep of the Dursley home. One person must determine who his friends and enemies are as he protects the boy under the Headmaster's watch. Unusual favors are called in, unlikely friendships develop, and the shadow of betrayal grows darker...
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Charlie, Draco, Dumbledore, James, Lily, Lucius, Original Character, Other, Remus, Tonks
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Baby fic, Child fic, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Character Death, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 36 Completed: No Word count: 196901 Read: 175444 Published: 31 Jul 2009 Updated: 01 Mar 2013
Chapter 16 - News of Relations - Part II by Raven Knight
Author's Notes:
Remus has unexpected guests...Severus helps soothe the pains of loss.

 

Remus Lupin was back at home having that night finished a rather enjoyable muggle novel.  He enjoyed reading, and was not against reading some good muggle-written fiction once in a while.  He had just begun washing his dishes, which he preferred to wash by hand, since he found it a rather therapeutic activity.  It allowed him to think.           

He heard the sound of his floo exploding to life, interrupting his dish-washing meditations.  He did not even dry off his hands before he charged into the parlor, his wand raised, intent on cursing the intruder.  He was not expecting anyone tonight.  The people that stood in front of his fireplace were one of the last people he expected, but he did not disapprove of their arrival, just the state of it.

"Mum?  Dad?" 

A tanned witch with glowing silver hair stood next to a weathered, dark-haired wizard.  Both of them looked like Remus usually did after suffering through a full moon, exhausted and withdrawn. 

"Remus..." the woman choked on her son's name. 

"Mum, what's wrong?"  Remus put his wand down on the end table by the sofa, as he went to his mother.  She looked frailer than the last time he saw her.  She instantly wrapped her arms around her son and then exploded into sobs.  Remus looked at his father, whose blue eyes shined more than usual as he was struggling to hold back tears.  Remus held his mother as he mouthed to his father, "What happened?"

Mr. Lupin took in a ragged breath.  "I think we should sit down."

He led his wife and son to the sofa and gently urged them all to sit down together.  Remus was still holding onto his mother who was sobbing uncontrollably against his chest.  Mr. Lupin looked at his son, not knowing what to do. 

"She couldn't sleep until she saw you were alright."

"Why wouldn't I be alright?"  Remus was getting confused, and he never liked being confused.  "What's happened, Dad?"  His father's eyes got glossier, and his lips trembled.  "Dad..."  For some reason, Remus felt that something had happened.  Something bad.  What would cause his parents to be like this?  Even when he'd been bitten by Fenrir Greyback as a child, neither of his parents ever cried in front of him.  Suddenly, Remus knew what it was, or at least what it was about.  He just hoped he was wrong.

"Dad, did something happen to my-"

"Your brother's dead." 

Remus looked at his father in shock.  He instantly stiffened.  His brow furrowed in confusion, denial, incomprehension, anger.  He had trouble finding his voice.  He swallowed several times.  His mother's sobs increased when her husband blurted it out like that.  "How?"  His father looked down at his hands.  Remus realized that he felt guilty.  At that realization, he knew.  "Greyback.  He...caused this?"  He couldn't bring himself to say that the werewolf killed his brother. 

His father nodded slowly.  Remus knew that his father still felt guilty for insulting Fenrir Greyback all those years ago, which resulted in the werewolf biting Remus in revenge.  Alator Lupin was consumed with guilt as he was forced every month to lock his son away during the full moon as the lycanthropy transformed Remus into an animal.  He had to hear Remus scream as he was turned into a werewolf, hear the destruction in the room that he'd locked his son in as the boy's mind was corrupted and no longer his own.  When he'd open the room again, he would find his boy naked, sobbing and bleeding, curled into himself on the floor unable to understand what had happened to him. 

Remus's brother did not understand at first what had happened to his twin, or why he'd be locked up once a month.  Then he figured it out, and swore that one day he would get revenge on the werewolf that caused his brother to turn into a monster against his will. 

Remus remembered his parents being worried about his attending Hogwarts initially.  What would happen at the full moon?  The family had met with Headmaster Dumbledore to voice their concerns several times.  A tree was planted for Remus soon after.  It was called the Whomping Willow, and was charmed to prevent people from coming near its secret passage (unless they knew how) that went underground and into a house that had no doors to the outside.  That building was called the Shrieking Shack, and because of the frightening sounds heard from within its walls during the full moon due to Remus's illness, it came to be known as the most haunted building in all of Britain. 

Every month during the full moon, Remus would go there and become a werewolf.  Dumbledore had made sure that he'd be excused from classes for as long as it took for him to recover.  His professors never hinted at their knowledge, but Remus suspected that all of the professors that taught him knew he suffered from lycanthropy.  They were not stupid, and they would have to be suspicious since he always fell sick at the full moon. 

His parents did not think Fenrir Greyback would be likely to come back for their sons, but they took a precaution anyway.  They separated the twins.  Remus went to Hogwarts, and Romulus went to Durmstrang Institute.  They never counted on the fact that Romulus would be so bent on getting revenge on Greyback for infecting his brother. 

Alator struggled to speak to tell his son.  "He...hunted Greyback down.  Dueled, and...I didn't think he would.  Neither of us did."  Both of the men noticed that Mrs. Lupin's sobbing had quieted and her breathing was starting to even out.  "Would you mind if-"

"Dad, you don't need to ask."

Alator drew his wand and, while the three of them were on the sofa, transfigured it into a large bed.  Together, they lay Silvia Lupin down and conjured a blanket and comforter for her.  Remus took the two throw pillows and enlarged them, tucking one under his mother's head tenderly.  Alator and Remus got off the bed and made their way into the small kitchen, letting the fire burn to keep Silvia warm as she slept. 

Remus sat down at the kitchen table heavily as his father walked throughout the kitchen.  "Would you like some hot chocolate, son?  I know it always makes you feel better." 

"Sure," Remus whispered.  He heard his father open a cupboard, then close it, and open another one.  He couldn't find what he was looking for.  Remus stood up and walked to his father.  "Dad, sit down.  I'll do it."  He tried to lead his father to the table, but the older man resisted. 

"No, I need to do something." 

"Dad, just sit down.  It's fine."

His father broke out of his grasp and continued looking through the cabinets.  "I used to make you boys hot chocolate all the time, remember?"

"Yeah, Dad, but-"

"He never liked it as much as you did, though."  He found two cups and set them on the counter.  Then, the older man searched out the container of hot chocolate that he knew his son would have there somewhere.  Remus was about to tell him where to find it when his father managed to locate it in the third cabinet he opened.  "You boys would come back from...wherever you explored that day...and I'd always make you hot chocolate."  He found a spoon that was in the drying rack by the sink, and scooped out several spoonfuls per cup.  "You'd sit at the table so impatient for the water to boil.  Romulus would just complain that I didn't conjure it.  Do you remember what you'd always say to him?"  He looked at Remus with teary eyes.

Remus tried to smile, but couldn't.  "That any good drink was worth waiting for."

Alator nodded as he put the kettle on the stove and ignited the burner.  "You used to play chess while you waited.  Do you have a chess set, Remus?"

"Of course I do, Dad." 

"Could you play with me while we wait?"

Remus felt tears sting his eyes then.  "Sure.  Hold on."  He went into his parlor and went to the end table where he'd set his wand next to the chess set.  He picked up his wand and put it on his person before picking up the chess set.  He carried it into the kitchen and found his father already waiting at the table, the man struggling to keep himself composed.  Remus sat down across from him and set down the chess board and pieces. 

They began playing.  It wasn't a wizard chess board, but a muggle one.  By habit, Remus was playing the white pieces.  Several moves passed before the silence was broken.  Every time his father spoke it made his heart lurch a little more.  "Your brother never let you play the black pieces, did he?" 

"No."  He moved his knight.  His father moved his bishop.  Then, Remus moved a pawn. 

"And he'd try to distract you by talking, but you were never fooled.  You were very focused, Remus."  Remus did not respond, just let his father talk.  In only a few moments, Remus got his pieces where he wanted.  "Did Romulus ever beat you?"

"No."  Remus moved his castle and took a pawn.  His father sighed and moved his queen, which his son took with a bishop.  His father then moved his knight and left his king open.  Remus moved his queen and said, "Checkmate," just as the kettle began to whistle.  It was like his brother's ghost shouted in frustration at losing again. 

"Always good at chess," his father choked out as he stood to get the kettle.  Remus stared at the knocked over black king piece.  His brother was dead.  It was just starting to set in with Remus. 

He heard a shatter on the floor and Remus looked up.  His father put one of the cups quickly on the table and knelt on the floor, his tears coming freely now.  Remus got out of the chair and knelt in front of his father.  "Dad, I'll get it." 

"I guess I'm not meant to make two hot chocolates anymore," the man moaned, his voice strangled from his tears.  He picked up a few pieces of the cup from the scalding drink on the floor. 

"Dad, I'll get it."  Remus was barely holding back his own tears.  He couldn't stand to see his father like this.  The only other time he'd seen his father cry was after his first full moon.  He'd held him for hours afterwards apologizing endlessly for insulting Greyback and causing him to bite him.  Remus forgave his father, but his father never forgave himself. 

Alator could not hold onto the pieces and they fell back to the floor.  "I'm so sorry, Remus.  I'm so sorry for everything.  If I never insulted that monster none of this would have happened.  You wouldn't be sick.  Your brother would be alive." 

"Dad-"  Remus could not take anymore of this, of his father's guilt.  Remus went around the mess of the shattered hot chocolate cup and grabbed his father in a fierce hug.  At the contact, Alator collapsed to the floor, his fists clenched in Remus's lapels, a horrible sound wrestling from his throat.  Remus went with him to the floor and held onto his father.  The older man slammed his head into Remus's chest as his sobs were so intense he could not put voice to them.  Remus closed his eyes and tried to not join his father's crying.  His parents needed him strong since they could not be the strong ones anymore. 

Soon his father was reduced to whimpering, and Remus felt that he needed to encourage his father to sleep.  He recognized that his father was lost in his memories and his mind somewhere and might not even react to him anymore.  Remus struggled to pick his father up, levitating him a little with wordless magic.  He brought him to the newly transfigured bed and set him down beside his mother.  He stood back and saw that both of them looked miserable even in their sleep.  He wished he knew how to help them. 

Remus went back into the kitchen and fell to his knees.  He began to clean up the shattered cup, finally allowing himself to cry.  He held back his sobs, but allowed his tears to pour down his face.  He'd thrown the pieces into the waste basket in the corner, and got out his dish rag from the now cold water.  He went back to the spilled hot chocolate and wiped it up from the floor.  He did not even hear the floo flare up in the next room. 

"Remus?" 

Remus did not get up, he did not even really turn around.  He only turned his head enough to identify who stood in his kitchen.  "Severus..." 

But Remus had turned his head just enough for Severus to see the tear streaks on his fellow wizard's face.  Severus rushed over and crouched down beside Remus, looking unsure of what to do.  Remus saw that Severus's young son was looking at him with wide eyes.  "Uncew Waymus sad."  Remus nodded and closed his eyes against the tears.  His sluggish movement with the rag grew vigorous as he tried to distract himself.  "Why?" 

Both of the adults ignored the boy.  Remus shook as he stood up and put the rag back in the cold water.  He leaned heavily on the counter, shoulders hunched, taking several deep breaths.  "I'm sorry, Severus.  I'm just...not very sociable right now." 

Severus did not say anything.  He held Tevin and stood from his crouch on the floor.  He did not approach Remus, but waited for the other man to make a move.  Tevin looked from Remus to Severus and back to Remus.  He clearly wanted to ask a question, but knew he should be quiet.  When adults are quiet, he was supposed to be quiet too. 

"Do you know any...anything that would help someone sleep better?" Remus whispered.

Normally, Severus would have teased Remus for forgetting the common sleep aid herb, Lavender, but not that time.  "Yes." 

"Could you help my parents sleep peacefully tonight?"  Remus still did not turn around. 

"Of course."  Severus took a moment to transfigure one of the table chairs into a high chair.  He set his son into it, and whispered for him not to bother his godfather.  Tevin nodded, and stayed quiet. 

Severus walked to stand just behind Remus.  "Do you have any lavender oil?" 

Remus nodded and raised a shaking arm to point in the general direction.  "Far right cabinet."  Severus went to it and opened it.  He found a jar of lavender and took it out.  He looked around for some sort of applicator for the oil but he could not find anything. 

Rather than trouble Remus for something so trivial, Severus took the oil into the parlor.  He looked at Remus's parents for the first time, having never met them.  He could see that most of Remus's features came directly from his father, with the possible exception of his light, straight hair.  Remus would one day look like his father. 

Severus placed the jar on the end table before going to the fireplace.  He gently tossed the floo powder into the fireplace and stuck his head in the flames.  It took a few minutes, but when he returned fully into the parlor he held several new items in his hands.  He put everything on the hearth next to his foot as he set up a contraption on the mantel.  The framework of this first object held a bowl in the air about six inches high.  He retrieved the small candle from the floor and placed it underneath the bowl in the framework.  He bent again to retrieve the three oils next to his foot.  He unstopped the first and allowed nine drops of bay-laurel oil to drip into the elevated bowl before stopping it again.  He repeated this process with six drops of cedarwood oil and sweet-orange oil.  The room slowly began to fill with the scent of the mixed oils. 

Severus walked back to the end table, leaving the other items on the mantel.  He moistened his fingertips with the lavender oil, using his thumbs to spread it on his fingertips and to warm the oil.  Gently, he lowered himself onto the bed near Mrs. Lupin's head.  Slowly, he reached out his hands and touched his fingertips to her temples.  Without applying much pressure, Severus began to rub small circles into her temples, his fingers massaging the lavender oil into her skin slowly.  He continued this until he saw the tense lines in her face begin to relax.  The room was beginning to be covered in the relaxing scent of the warm oil on the mantelpiece.  Once the tension was gone from her face, Severus stopped his movements. 

He rose from the bed and coated his fingertips with more oil.  He walked around the bed and lowered himself onto it, this time beside Remus's father.  With a little more nervousness, he leaned over the older man and touched his fingertips to his temples and began to trace slow circles, working the lavender oil into the man's skin.  It took longer than Mrs. Lupin, but eventually Mr. Lupin's expression softened and relaxed in sleep. 

Severus rose from the bed again, gathered the lavender oil from the end table and walked back into the kitchen.  At first he didn't notice that Remus was not leaning in front of the sink until he was drying off his newly washed hands.  He turned around to see Remus sitting at the table across from Tevin.  They were looking at each other.  A cup of now lukewarm hot chocolate rested at the head of the table, a little away from the two. 

Tevin reached forward to grab the fallen black king.  He stood it upright on the chess board, and then resumed looking at Remus. 

Remus's expression looked blank, lost.  Severus found himself unsure of what to do or what to say, if anything.  Then, he remembered something, a piece of Lily's advice. 

Lily had dragged Severus into the candy shop in Hogsmeade, Honeydukes, during one of the weekends the students of Hogwarts were allowed to visit.  She seemed to be on a mission as she led him to the large display of chocolate.  "Lily, why are we even here?  You said you wanted to go to Scrivenshaft's for a new quill."

"It's Remus's birthday tomorrow, Sev.  I want to get him a present."

Severus snorted.  "So you are buying him chocolate?  Won't that give him a different idea?" 

Lily looked at Severus with a look that clearly showed her near inability to hold back a laugh.  "What?  That it's a love gift?"  Severus stuttered as he tried to answer.  "Really, Sev," she laughed, reaching for a huge chocolate bar.  "It happens to make Remus feel better.  Everyone has their comfort food.  Remus's is chocolate." 

She began to walk towards the register, and Severus hurried to catch up to her.  "Awfully feminine of Lupin, isn't it?" he asked, as Lily was given the bag with the chocolate bar inside it. 

She looked at him with a mischievous smirk.  "I happen to know a certain Slytherin who is very fond of chocolate."

Severus pretended to look surprised, but couldn't hide his smile.  "And who might that be?"

Lily laughed before she took his hand and led him from the shop.  "Don't be stupid.  You know perfectly well it's you." 

Severus laughed as she dragged him out of Honeydukes.  "I was just making sure you didn't buy anyone else chocolate, especially another Slytherin."  Lily's laugh followed them all the way to Scrivenshaft's Quill Shop. 

Severus saw the cup of hot chocolate sitting on the table and drew his wand silently.  He muttered a warming charm on the liquid.  When steam rose from it again, Severus picked up the cup and held it out to Remus.  "Remus."  Remus looked up at Severus.  Severus drew the other man's attention to the steaming cup of hot chocolate.  "Drink this.  You'll feel better." 

Remus looked up at Severus again.  "How do you know that?"

Severus tried to offer a smile.  "Lily told me once that chocolate is your comfort food." 

Remus's lips curled into the hint of a smile.  He accepted the cup and took a small sip.  "She was always a clever witch."  He took another sip before setting the cup on the table and inhaling the scent of the chocolate.  When he opened his eyes, he met Tevin's gaze.  "She wanted you to be a bookworm, you know, young man."  Tevin had no idea what a bookworm was, but he didn't care.  He smirked at Remus, glad that someone was talking to him. 

"Feel good, Waymus?" 

Remus smiled a little bit more.  "A little."  He took another sip.  "Your father was right.  Chocolate somehow makes me feel better."  Tevin smiled at Remus, and his godfather did his best to return the smile. 

To be continued...
End Notes:
I took the names of Remus's family from the Greek/Roman myth of Remus and Romulus. Since JKR used the myth, I figured, why not do the same thing, but go a little further? In the myth, Remus and Romulus are twin brothers, hence the relation in my story. Silvia is the name of the mythological brothers's mother. Alator is from the variation of the name of the god Mars, meaning "Huntsman, Cherisher." I thought Mars Lupin sounded silly, so went with Alator instead. Sorry if it is confusing with Alastor Moody. Not intended.

The sleep oil concoction I actually found in an aromatherapy book, under Bay-Laurel Oil. If anyone is interested, bay-laurel oil resembles cinnamon and helps to relax the mind and body by clearing your mind, and eliminating stress and anxiety. When heated it creates a sense of peace, warmth and security along with the oils of cedarwood and sweet-orange. The blend should be, 3 drops bay-laurel oil, 2 drops cedarwood oil, 2 drops sweet-orange oil.

Lavender is used on the temples and wrists to relive stress and anxiety.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1892