Sacrifices by Raven Knight
Summary: Harry Potter goes missing less than a day after being dropped on the doorstep of the Dursley home. One person must determine who his friends and enemies are as he protects the boy under the Headmaster's watch. Unusual favors are called in, unlikely friendships develop, and the shadow of betrayal grows darker...
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Charlie, Draco, Dumbledore, James, Lily, Lucius, Original Character, Other, Remus, Tonks
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Baby fic, Child fic, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Character Death, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 36 Completed: No Word count: 196901 Read: 175443 Published: 31 Jul 2009 Updated: 01 Mar 2013
Chapter 27 - Introduction to Potions by Raven Knight
Author's Notes:
The aftermath of Tevin and Draco's potions accident, then they begin to get some instruction, and a suspicion is overheard...

The fourteen-year-old Hufflepuff and the man who had just come through the green flames of the floo network stood at an impasse.  Neither of them took in the other person's clothing, or any other attribute.  They simply looked into each other's eyes and stared.  Nymphadora was too terrified to answer the man's question from several moments ago.  It was bad enough that she had wandered into her professor's home in the school.  Now she was caught in them, which added a whole new level of humiliation.  She was caught by someone she did not recognize. 

"Answer my question," the man ordered in a firmer voice than before.  "Who are you, and why are you here?" 

Nymphadora tried to answer.  She did.  Her mouth opened but her voice simply would not work.  What came out was a mousy squeak.  What did she say to someone who caught her in her professor's home? 

The man held up his arms in a gesture of peaceful caution.  "Do you need to sit down?"  He awkwardly pointed to the armchair or the sofa without lowering his hands or averting his eyes. 

She slowly crept forward towards the armchair.  She did not take her eyes away from his as she walked.  Her feet had almost reached her goal when suddenly one foot decided to not obey her brain.  Her foot knocked into the corner of the sofa and she flailed to regain her balance. 

Remus reached out and grabbed the girl by her upper arms to try to steady her.  "Careful, there!"  She planted her hands onto his chest and slammed into him.  For a fleeting moment, Remus thought that it was a long missed feeling to hold someone again before he instantly shoved the thought from his mind when he realized that it was a young girl!  A teenaged girl!  One of Severus's students!  That thought made him a little sick.  In the nausea of his self-deprecation, Remus practically threw the girl into the armchair before stumbling backwards, away from her. 

They still stared at each other.  Nymphadora took several deep breaths as she tried to calm down from the embarrassment of her near fall.  Remus also took several deep breaths but not for the same reasons.  After they both began to settle down, he asked once more, "Who are you, and why are you here?"

She seemed to understand this time.  "I'm...I was...looking for Professor Snape." 

"In his home?" he asked with a disbelieving expression. 

"Yes - no!"  Nymphadora grimaced.  Without intending to, her explanation spewed forth quickly.  "I know I shouldn't be here, but I found this door that led to a lab and then there was another door and then I was in his bedroom - I think - which was really weird, and then I ran through another room and ended up here and then you came in and here I am!"

Remus stared at this babbling girl as though she were insane.  "That tells me how you got here, but not why."  He sighed, then waved his hand dismissively.  "Let's try again.  What is your name?"

"Tonks."

"Tonks.  Is that your first name or your last name?"

She closed her eyes and shook her head as though she were yelling at herself in her mind.  "Sorry.  My name is Nymphadora Tonks." 

He looked at the color of her tie.  "And you are in Hufflepuff."  Without waiting for her to nod, he continued.  "What year are you?"

"Fourth."

Remus nodded.  "Okay.  And why is a Hufflepuff Fourth Year student named Nymphadora Tonks in Professor Snape's quarters at this point during the day and not accompanied by the professor himself?"

At this point, Nymphadora had had enough of being interrogated.  So she mocked him.  "Why is a strange man in Professor Snape's quarters without the professor himself?"

Remus looked surprised by the girl's sass.  "I am a friend and have always had the liberty of visiting unannounced should I desire it.  I cannot believe that same priviledge has been awarded to you, has it?"

She had the frame of mind to look embarrassed.  "No."

"I thought not," he said in a clipped tone, clearly showing his aggravation.  "So why are you here?"

She studied Remus for a few moments.  She was at this person's mercy, but she only wanted to tell what she needed to tell to Professor Snape and him alone.  "I don't want to tell you."

"You will tell me," Remus practically growled at her.  "My skill is far above your own.  I can make you tell me."

"How?  By Veritaserum?"

Remus actually smiled.  "That's one way." 

"Or by reading my mind?"

"Can you defend yourself?"

"No," she answered quickly.

Remus pointed a finger at her as though he were instructing a course.  "And that is something you should never do, Miss Tonks.  Never admit your weaknesses to an unknown enemy."  He relaxed his posture.  "I, however, am hopefully not your enemy.  I can be, but I don't want to be." 

Nymphadora watched as Remus turned his back to her slowly.  She was about to jump to her feet and shout out a spell to incapacitate him.  However, she only got to jumping up out of the chair before she heard him mutter something and saw the tip of his wand over his shoulder.  Her body went rigid and she fell to the floor.  She realized that he had used the Petrificus Totalus spell on her.  Sometimes she hated people older than her. 

She could only watch helplessly as Remus picked her up carefully and deposited her on the sofa.  At least he positioned her head to face him as he went about her professor's kitchen preparing some tea for himself.  She had to admit, though, that whatever he was brewing smelled delicious.  He was sitting at the table, his chair facing her stiff body when she heard the entrance of another person.  Remus looked up towards the sound. 

"You didn't happen to destroy my private lab did you?"

"Severus, you have a visitor," Remus announced, nodding towards her.

"Oh?  You mean besides you, Remus?"

Tonks filed the other man's name away in her memory.  She realized then that he neglected to introduce himself.  She thought that was very rude of him.  Her thoughts had wandered like that until the shadow of her professor fell over her.  "Miss Tonks," he said in surprise.  "How did you find yourself in my home?"  She saw by his expression that he was not amused at her presence. 

Remus proceeded to explain their encounter to her professor in annoyingly good detail.  As he told of when Snape entered the room, the dark-haired man waved a hand to cut him off.  He turned to Nymphadora.  "I suppose I should remove that spell, Miss Tonks."  Severus drew his dark wand and pointed it at her, strongly incanting the counter spell. 

Nymphadora realized that she could move again.  She sat up on the sofa and proceeded to explain.  "Professor, Charlie Weasley and I were heading outside when we heard someone calling for help in the corridor.  When we saw that it was your son and...Draco Malfoy..." She slurred the name in distaste.  "We knew they were hurt and thought we should get them to the infirmary."  She stopped there, reluctant to tell the rest. 

Severus stared at her.  "Go on, Miss Tonks."

She took a breath before hurriedly launching into the rest of the story.  "Well, I realized that you might not know about them being hurt, so I said I would come and find you and tell you."

"And you did not first think to check my classroom?"

She blushed.  "I...ran into an open door."  Her blush deepened when she heard Remus burst out in a laugh that he covered up by sipping some more tea.  "I went in and saw that your lab was ruined, and then went through another door..."  Horror at the memory of her invasion of her professor's home filled her. 

"Which led to my bedroom."

At this point, she could not even look at her professor she was so embarrassed.  "And then I ended up in here, met...Remus," she said, testing out the name and glancing at the tea-drinker, who smiled at her.  "And then he cursed me."

Remus stood from his chair and walked to stand near the mantel.  "You deserved it.  You were not being careful.  You'll thank me one day for that."

Severus looked at Remus with a raised eyebrow.  "Enough, Remus."  He then turned back to the student.  "Although he is right.  He did not know if you had designs to cause anyone harm.  He reacted with caution, is that not right, Lupin?"

Nymphadora filed the surname away in her memory.  ‘Remus Lupin,' she thought.  She tilted her head to study the man who leaned against the mantel sipping his spice-smelling tea.  She was so focused on him that she missed his reply to her professor. 

"Miss Tonks, you said that Mr. Weasley took my son and Draco to the infirmary?" Severus asked her. 

She nodded.  "Only a few minutes ago." 

Severus nodded.  "Remus, put the fire out.  I can't have people dropping by now with you here.  Ophelia will understand.  If she comes home let her know what happened."  Remus nodded.  Snape turned to face his student.  "Miss Tonks, I am assigning you detention tonight to be served after the evening meal.  I have more to discuss with you.  If you say a word of this conversation to anyone, I will Obliviate you, school rules notwithstanding.  I must have your word that this conversation remains between us."

"But why?"  Nymphadora was confused. 

"Do I have your word or not?"  Severus had charged up to the girl, looking as menacing as the rumors of the student body made him out to be. 

She nodded stiffly.  "Yes!" 

Severus straightened and gazed hard at her.  "If I hear a single whisper of what occurred since you ran into the door to my labs until you leave my home, you will regret it...or not remember what it is you should regret.  Do you understand?" 

"Yes, professor," she said.  At this point, she was frightened. 

"Then come with me.  You will go with me towards the infirmary.  I presume you were going somewhere before this...unforeseen incident with a door occurred?" 

She nodded, understanding what he was doing.  "I was going outside with Charlie."

"I will send him out to meet you.  He will also be serving detention with you tonight." 

With that, Severus escorted Tonks towards the portrait hole entrance of his home.  As the door began to open she heard Remus call to her.  "It was nice to meet you, Miss Tonks." 

She turned and smiled at him.  "Nice to meet you too, Mr. Lupin!"  Unfortunately, her professor had grabbed her by the arm and was forcing her through the doorway.  If she had looked where she was going, she might not have slammed her shoulder into the doorjamb.  But she thought it was worth it as Remus's laugh bid her goodbye from the room. 


When Tevin opened his eyes blearily the first thing he saw was his father, who was wearing a scowl on his expression, his eyes filled with disapproval and his arms crossed firmly over his chest.  He did not dare say anything.  He knew if he apologized he would have to explain why he was apologizing.  With having just woken up, and still not feeling well in his stomach, he did not really remember everything that happened.  He certainly did not want to simply greet his father.  It would make his father think he did not care about himself and how he had ended up in the infirmary.  Tevin bit his bottom lip and chose to say nothing. 

There was a small groan and rustling in the bed next to him.  He turned his head to look and saw that Draco was waking up.  Draco groaned quietly as he opened his eyes and looked around. He quickly figured out that he was in the infirmary.  He began to chuckle.  "Tevin?"

Tevin was about to respond when he caught the glare from his father.  He said nothing. 

Draco turned to look toward his friend.  "We made it."  Then, his blue eyes saw Severus.  His mouth snapped shut and his face became blank of any expression. 

Severus stared at Draco stoically.  "If by ‘made it' you are referring to the potion that destroyed my private labs, then you are incorrect.  You did not in fact make it.  It was a failure, due to the inexperience of two reckless boys who should know better."  Draco stiffened, and Tevin looked as though he wanted to disappear into the infirmary bedding.  "However, if you refer to surviving the explosion of the incorrect potion, then yes.  You did ‘make it.'" 

Draco opened his mouth slowly to respond when the doors to the infirmary were flung open.  The dread and unease he felt increased instantly at the sight of his parents.  Both of them stood in the doorway for an extra moment as they scanned the infirmary for their son.  When they found him, Draco found himself being charged by his mother.  Narcissa reached her son's bed and sat herself onto it reaching for Draco's left arm, which was wrapped up securely. 

"Oh, Draco!  What happened?"

Draco looked reluctant to speak, especially in the presence of his father and Tevin's father.  Severus answered for him with a displeased look to Lucius.  "They moronically decided that their knowledge of potion-making was of such a high quality that they could brew unattended.   Sufficing to say that it blew up and your son ended up breaking his wrist while mine is suffering a concussion and a burned hand." 

Narcissa cradled Draco's arm tenderly, smoothing his hair back from his forehead.  "I knew I should have stayed." 

"What I would like to know is where you boys got the potion recipe that you managed to explode," demanded the harsh voice of Lucius, who looked just as angry as Severus.  There was a shuffle of sound behind the two men.  Both of them turned towards the disturbance, though Severus turned with a bit more reservation.  "And who are you?" Lucius snapped. 

The red-haired youth shuffled his feet.  "I'm...Charlie Weasley, Mr. Malfoy." 

Lucius curled his lip in disdain.  "A Weasley." 

Severus interjected, "He brought the boys here after he found them in a corridor.  Your son was dragging mine here when he couldn't manage any further.  Luckily, Mr. Weasley was there to assist them."

Charlie looked to his professor thankfully.  His good mood was ruined when Lucius Malfoy muttered, "Luckily, indeed."  He said it in such a way that made it obvious that he was of the opinion that no one in the room could be considered lucky in any way.  "Are you injured in some way, Weasley?"

"No, sir," he replied. 

"Then, get out!" Lucius snapped again, his eyes flashing in blatant disregard.  "This is a family matter of which you are not." 

Charlie's head lowered.  He knew of his distant relation to the Malfoys, and was well aware of the disownment of his relative from the Black family line that families like the Malfoys would bear his family some sort of dislike.  Despite this, he chose not to say anything in response.  Instead, he quietly made his way to the doors of the infirmary. 

"Thank you!" he heard from one of the beds.  Charlie turned and saw Snape's son looking at him.  The adult Malfoys were all looking at the other boy in surprise.  Then, when his parents weren't looking, Charlie saw Draco look at him and offer a hesitant smile.  He knew it was all he would get out of the young blonde.  Charlie nodded at them and turned again to leave. 

"Mr. Weasley," this time called the voice of his professor. 

Charlie once again faced the infirmary interior.  "Yes, professor?"

"I expect to see you in my office tonight.  I believe you still are scheduled to serve a detention."  Severus had walked forward so that Lucius and Narcissa could not see his face. 

"Professor?"  Charlie was confused. 

Severus's dark eyebrows rose as the corner of his mouth lifted.  "Do not think that this...rescue has exempted you from serving detention tonight after dinner as scheduled."  He tilted his head ever so slightly and widened his eyes meaningfully at Charlie. 

Charlie's eyes widened as he realized what his professor was trying to do.  "Oh!  I'm sorry, professor!  Yes.  This evening.  Of course."  Then, Charlie turned quickly and left the infirmary, before his insane verbal stumbling could make it any more obvious how dense he could be sometimes. 

"You will fine your friend outside waiting for you."

Charlie smiled at his professor.  "Thank you, Professor Snape."  Then, the red-haired boy dashed off towards the entrance of the castle to meet Nymphadora Tonks outside. 

Severus turned back to the Malfoys and his son.  Lucius was standing at the ends of the beds directly between them.  "Draco, you still have not answered my question.  Where did you get the recipe for this potion?"

Neither boys said anything.  Draco looked at Tevin.  "Don't look at him, Draco!" Lucius snapped.  "I don't need you scheming any more than you apparently already have."  Then, Draco finally mumbled a response.  "What?  Say it clearer."

"Took it from a book." 

Severus spoke up then, trying to lessen the harshness of Lucius's attack.  "From what book?"

"One of mother's."  The answer was reluctantly spoken. 

"Let me understand you.  You took a recipe form one of your mother's books and memorized it?" 

Draco didn't dare look at his father.  "I ripped it out."

"You ripped it-"

"We checked it with one of dad's books," interrupted Tevin, trying to divert the adults's attention.  It worked.  They all looked at the younger Snape.

"Which book, Tevin?" 

"The one you like the most."

"Advanced Potion-Making?"  Tevin nodded.  "You know I use that book for the older students." 

"I know." 

Narcissa lowered her head.  She usually let the immediate discipline get handled by Lucius.  She was always there for her son during the aftermath of his father's rage.  Lucius in that moment looked livid!  He pursed his lips as though trying not to explode in verbal rancor.  Severus only sighed as he pinched the bridge of his hooked nose.  "And you thought this was a good idea?"

Both Draco and Tevin answered.  "I don't know."

Severus raised an eyebrow, as Lucius glared murderously at his son.  "You don't...know.  And yet you did it anyway."  Severus was at least satisfied that the boys both looked regretful of their stupidity.  He looked at the other man and drew his attention.  "Lucius, a word outside?"  All the blonde man managed was a curt nod before he briskly strode out of the infirmary.  Severus followed and closed the doors behind their exit. 

"Be happy they aren't severely hurt." 

Lucius shook his head and closed his eyes, his anger leaving him, but the disgust still remaining.  "They should know better than that." 

"They're children, Lucius.  You should see the imbeciles I have in classes."

Lucius began pacing in front of Severus.  "I don't know how to make him less...reckless than he is." 

Severus chuckled softly.  "If you aren't careful, you're likely to have a son in Gryffindor." 

Lucius whipped his body to face Severus and drew his wand pointing it in a blind rage at the dark-haired wizard.  "Do not even joke about that, Snape!  My son will never be in Gryffindor!  Never!" 

Severus looked at Lucius completely unfased by the wand leveled at him.  "Then we have to somehow correct their recklessness, don't you think?  Temper their blind idiocy with a little more...education perhaps?"

Lucius lowered his wand, recognizing the glint in his friend's eyes.  "What do you suggest?"

Severus met Lucius's gaze.  "Make them learn about the dangers of certain plants or give them a potions lesson every so often." 

"You want them near a cauldron again after this?"

"It is unavoidable once they turn eleven.  The more they know going into the situation the less likely they will be to falter or act recklessly or stupidly." 

Lucius seemed to consider this proposal for a short while.  "Who would teach them?  Obviously not you, because you are in the classroom constantly."

Severus nodded.  "I was thinking that Ophelia could enlist them as helpers in our garden at home.  If she is unavailable perhaps I can convince Professor Sprout to force them into helping her tend the greenhouses.  On the weekends, I can instruct them in brewing." 

Lucius again considered this idea.  Then he nodded.  "Although I am not entirely supportive of this idea, I know the end result should prove...promising."  Severus knew that he spoke of his disapproval of Ophelia and the Head of Hufflepuff in that veiled response, but he chose to ignore that.  "Very well, Severus.  We'll take Draco home and be in touch about this."

"When would you like their lessons to begin?"

Lucius did not even pause.  "Before Draco's healed I think.  Let him know that sometimes you need to work through your pain to succeed." 


And so, a week passed before Draco and Tevin were at Spinner's End with Ophelia, who was walking them through the small but thriving herb garden.  Draco's wrist was still wrapped while Tevin's hand was still banaged.  They both looked miserable as they stood in front of a potted plant that they could not identify. 

"This plant boys," Ophelia began.  "Is called Feverfew.  What do you remember about Feverfew?"

They stared up blankly at her. 

"You just read about it an hour ago inside.  Would the Latin name help?"

"Maybe," Draco's voice cracked.  He had little hope of remembering almost anything of what he read earlier. 

"It's Latin name is Tanacetum parthenium."

Draco's breath huffed out is dismay.  "Didn't help."

Ophelia looked at the other boy.  "Tevin, do you know?"

When he looked up he was making a nervous face.  "It makes you have fewer fevers?"

Ophelia smiled as Draco bumped his shoulder to Tevin's.  "Good one," the blonde said, encouragingly.

"A good guess maybe," she said.  She reached down to touch the little daisy-looking flowers.  "Feverfew is used mainly to prevent migraines and to treat stomachaches." 

"What're migraines?" asked Draco.

"Really bad headaches."

"Like the ones that my father gets?"

"Maybe, but I've never seen your father with a headache." 

Draco nodded as he thought about it.  "They're bad!"

Ophelia tried not to laugh.  "Okay, so what does Feverfew do, boys?"

Draco answered first, ready to outdo his friend.  "Helps with migraines!"

Ophelia nodded.  Tevin completed the answer.  "And helps stomachaches."

"Ready for the next plant?"

"No," grumbled Draco.  As Ophelia led them towards the next potted herb, he looked at Tevin.  "This is misery."


Professor Pomona Sprout was just finishing a class with Second Year Gryffindor and Slytherins when there was a quiet knocking on the doorway of the greenhouse in which she held her last class.  "Come in," she called.  She saw two heads peer into the greenhouse.  One of them was blonde and the other black-haired.  The blonde had a nervous expression, while the other boy smiled warmly.  Professor Sprout brushed her hands on her work apron.  "Hello, boys.  Back again are we?"  She motioned them in with her hand.

Tevin and Draco walked into the greenhouse.  Sprout noticed that the both of them carried a slip of paper.  She realized that they probably had potions ingredients written down.  Knowing Severus it was probably a different list for each boy so that they could not help each other.  "What have you boys been sent to retrieve today?"

They both looked at their lists and then at each other to silently decide who would talk first.  Draco decided to go first.  "I need some Cowslip flowers, Masterwort root, and Knotweed."  Sprout nodded and then looked to Tevin. 

"And I would like to get some Avens root, a little bit of Heather, Hollyhock flowers, and some Licorice root." 

Sprout smiled fondly at Severus Snape's son.  "You know where they are, Tevin.  Go on."  Tevin smiled at the Herbology professor.  "Be sure to wear your gloves," she called back. 

"Okay," he replied as he headed away through the greenhouse, snatching up a pair of gloves along the way. 

Sprout walked up to Draco at that point.  "Well, Mr. Malfoy, what are you waiting for?"

Draco looked down at his list then back up to the professor.  He was nibbling his lip and fidgeting with the parchment slip in his hand.  "I...I don't know what Masterwort looks like, Professor," he admitted quietly. 

Sprout erupted in jolly laughter.  She set her hand on Draco's back and began leading him through the rows and rows of plants.  "Was that all?  Well, we'll have you straightened out in no time, won't we?  Come on."  She stopped at her work table and grabbed an extra pair of gloves, giving them to Draco.  "You'd best put these on though, dear.  The last thing I need is you getting pricked and sick by a nasty plant of mine." 

Draco looked up in alarm at that sentence.  "Plants can get me sick?  How?"

"Some plants you just aren't supposed to touch, Mr. Malfoy."  She pointed across the greenhouse to a row of plants that had long vines that seemed to be fighting with each other.  "Like that one.  If your fingers were to touch the thorns you'd be sleeping for two weeks straight."

Draco's expression turned horrified.  He then saw that in front of another row of plants was a basket of earmuffs.  "What are they for?"

"The earmuffs?"  Draco nodded. 

"They're for Mandrake plants, Draco!" shouted Tevin as he approached them. 

"Why do you need them?"

Tevin looked at Sprout for the answer, despite that he already knew it.  She answered.  "Mandrake plants scream, Mr. Malfoy.  The babies will only knock someone out if they hear it.  Now, the adult plants on the other hand-"

"They kill you, Draco," finished Tevin. 

Draco's eyes widened. 


Tevin and Draco were on their way back to the Slytherin area of the castle, when the sounds from an open doorway caught their attention.  Even with their baskets of carefully wrapped and separated plant items that they had to deliver to Tevin's father, they wandered towards the doorway.  They peered around the corner and saw two familiar people. 

"I was wondering, Minerva," said the aged Dumbledore, "if you might be able to help me solve a problem."

The older witch barked out a laugh.  "I thought it was part of the job description for anyone who worked in this school."

Dumbledore smiled at her before his expression became serious again.  "I've been growing concerned about Severus's boy, Tevin."

"What about him?  Surely he isn't acting up."

"No, no," Dumbledore waved his hand dismissively.  "It's not about any sort of trouble he's giving anybody."  He sighed, looking very disturbed.  "It's more about...what he's not doing that is concerning me."

Draco and Tevin looked at each other confusedly.  McGonagall conjured herself a goblet and sipped from it.  "Such as?"

Dumbledore followed his colleague's example and produced a drink for himself.  "Have you never noticed any strange behavior that he exhibits towards his parents?"

"No.  He's actually quite well-behaved for his age.  It surprises me that some of my seventh year students have worse manners than that boy." 

"I'm not talking about his manners.  I'm talking about how he acts with Severus and Ophelia."

McGonagall took a sip from her goblet.  "I'm afraid you're going to have to elaborate on that, Albus."

Dumbledore began to pace.  He was quiet for a few moments before he faced McGonagall.  "He always calls Severus ‘father' or ‘dad,' but never, not once, have I heard him call Ophelia anything close to ‘mother.'  Do you not find that a little odd?"

McGonagall looked as though she was both disturbed and throughtful at the same time.  "No," she answered.  "He calls her ‘Fay' if I remember correctly."

Dumbledore nodded.  "Her last name."  He stared at McGonagall as he sipped from his own goblet.  "Or nothing at all.  Strange is it not?"

McGonagall looked very disturbed at that point.  She simply nodded and then continued to sip from her goblet. 

Meanwhile from their spot peering around the door, Tevin tugged Draco's sleeve.  "We should go," he whispered.  Tevin began to lead his friend away. 

"Tevin, what were they talking about?"

"Nothing," he answered a little too quickly.  "We have to get back to my dad.  Now."  As he began to drag a reluctant Draco away faster than a moment ago, he thought of the strange conversation he'd once had with his father a few years ago.

 

"Tevin, I want to talk to you."

Tevin looked up from where he was on the floor, with a spells book open in front of him and his training wand in the other.  He was just about to learn the Wingardium Leviosa spell.  "Now?" he asked. 

Severus crossed his arms over his chest.  "Now, Tevin.  Out here."  Tevin closed his book on the floor and got up.  "Leave your wand there."  With a soft groan, Tevin put the wand on his desk.  The last time he'd left it on the floor, Minnie had gotten a hold of it and he found his pet kneazle chomping on the handle.  Now it had small bite marks on it.  Tevin liked to think of them as nicks from dueling. 

The six-year-old Tevin came out of his room and saw his father standing near the sofa and his reading chair.  Tevin slowed his gait as he got closer.  His father looked angry about something.  "Am I in trouble, Daddy?"

"No," he answered.  "I need to talk to you about something very important." 

"Okay."  Tevin went over to the sofa and got up onto it.  He looked at his father and waited for the discussion to start. 

Finally, Severus began speaking, but he was still standing.  "People have realized that you call me ‘Dad' or something like that."

"Am I not supposed to?"

"No, no.  You are, but..."  Severus sighed.  "Some of the other professors are starting to notice that you don't call Ophelia anything like ‘mother.'"

Tevin's brow crinkled.  "But she's not my mum."

"I know.  You know that, and Ophelia knows that." 

"Should I start calling her that?"

"She doesn't want you to."

"Why?"

"She doesn't want you to feel like she's trying to take your mother's place in any way.  If you were to call her that, if anything, she would be very uncomfortable."  Severus smiled at his son.  "That being said, I have thought of something that may help you."

Tevin was about to say something when his father knelt on the floor in front of him.  He knew that whatever his father was about to say was very serious.  "Tevin, I need you to pay very close attention to what I'm about to tell you."  Tevin nodded.  "Under no circumstances are you to be alone with certain people in this school.  You can be alone with Professor Flitwick, Professor Sprout, and Madame Pomfrey in the Infirmary.  But under no cirumstances are you to ever be alone with the Headmaster, or Professor McGonagall, or Hagrid.  Do you understand?"

Tevin did not expect his father to say something like that.  "Um..."

Severus reached forward and gripped his son's shoulders.  "Tevin.  This is very important.  Do you understand?"

Tevin nodded.

"Repeat what I said."

Tevin took a deep breath.  "I can be by myself with Professor Flitwick, Sprout, and...Madame Pomfrey, but not Aunt Minnie, Hagrid, or...Professor..."

"The Headmaster." 

Tevin nodded.

"Say it."

"The Headmaster."

Severus looked at him like he would disappear if he let his son go.  He tried to smooth Tevin's uncooperative hair back, only to have it stick up as usual.  He cupped his son's cheeks in his hands.  "Promise me you will never be alone with them." 

"What about if Draco's with me?"

"No.  You have to be with another wizard or witch that can defend you."

"Why would I need to have someone defend me?"

Severus looked down and then back up.  Tevin was frightened by the tears he saw his father struggling to hold back.  He couldn't even breathe.  "Tevin!  Son, promise me."

Tevin felt his own tears well in his eyes.  His father must have a very good reason to make him promise something like this.  To see his father so vulnerable made Tevin scared.  "Tevin."  He felt a tear slide down his cheek, only to have his father's thumb wipe it away. 

He forced himself to speak.  "I promise, Daddy."

Severus let out a breath and pulled his son to his chest and held Tevin to him tightly.  "Don't ever forget your promise, Tevin." 

Tevin let his father hold him for a while before he asked him a question.  "Won't you be there to defend me?"

He heard a choked sound above him.  "As long as I live."

To be continued...
End Notes:
Hope everyone enjoyed the chapter! I will post further notes to this chapter as soon as possible. Please leave a review if anyone is still interested in the story. Thanks! - RK

(I may wrap this story up soon, so I have to be sure I get everything in this one that I want to before I start the sequel story to this.)


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1892