Sacrifices by Raven Knight
Summary: Harry Potter goes missing less than a day after being dropped on the doorstep of the Dursley home. One person must determine who his friends and enemies are as he protects the boy under the Headmaster's watch. Unusual favors are called in, unlikely friendships develop, and the shadow of betrayal grows darker...
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Charlie, Draco, Dumbledore, James, Lily, Lucius, Original Character, Other, Remus, Tonks
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Baby fic, Child fic, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Character Death, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 36 Completed: No Word count: 196901 Read: 175447 Published: 31 Jul 2009 Updated: 01 Mar 2013
Chapter 32 - Pieces of Parchment by Raven Knight
Author's Notes:
Arabella gets a letter, a conversation is remembered, precautions are put into action, and Tevin receives an unusual present.
Arabella Figg was one of the very few non-magically gifted people who knew perfectly well where The Leaky Cauldron was located.  Mercifully, there was a bench on the sidewalk across the road from the disguised entrance.  She very much hoped that she would see one of the people she needed to see come out of that entrance.  She didn't care if it was her cousin, Ophelia, her husband, or their boy.  She'd received something very odd in her mail slot recently, and had since spent the last several days on this bench waiting for one of them.  If anyone would know what to make of it, they would.  Maybe not so much their boy, but he'd at least be able to deliver it to them.  They didn't come to visit her that much anymore.  She could understand that, though.  That boy was getting older, and Ophelia and Severus were likely getting very busy trying to keep up with him and their jobs.  It was disappointing though.  She wasn't able to easily contact anyone in the Wizarding World, despite having her fireplace connected to the floo network.  Sometimes that thing just scared her. 

Her patience finally paid off when she spotted her cousin emerging from the entrance of The Leaky Cauldron with her young son.  He was getting so big!  They must have been in Diagon Alley today making a delivery to Jayce, the Apothecary shop owner.  It also looked like they had been shopping briefly.  Tevin held an elaborately wrapped box in his hands as though it were an injured animal - carefully yet firmly.  The box was covered in sheer ribbons and tied in very interestingly shaped bows, with what reminded Arabella of pixie dust - were Peter Pan and Tinkerbell real?  They could be real considering witches and wizards with magic wands were real! - glittering from the box with every bouncing step the boy took.  She wondered who the present was for. 

But she didn't wait to think on it too long.  Arabella stood up and crossed the street before Ophelia and Tevin could reach the side alley from which she guessed they were about to leave for home.  Her cousin had once mentioned Apparition to her, and when she had demonstrated it to Arabella...well, sufficing to say she was thoroughly uneasy about travelling in such a way.

"Ophelia!" she shouted, trying to catch up to her.

Her cousin's head darted in the direction from which she heard Arabella's cry.  Then, she spotted her.  "What are you doing here?  You don't usually lurk outside of The Leaky Cauldron, do you?  You know some could consider that-"

"Creepy, I know," said Arabella, as she reached into her pocket, still keeping pace with Ophelia.  "But I got this...odd letter and was wondering if you knew anything about it."

Ophelia looked at her cousin with confusion.  "Who was it from?"  She looked down at Tevin who was still admiring the wrapped box in his hands. 

"Dumbledore."

Ophelia stopped for a moment, her face blank.  This time, Tevin noticed the conversation and had also stopped to look at the two women.  His brown eyes shifted from Ophelia to Arabella.  "Do you have it on you?"

Arabella nodded and took an envelope from her pocket.  She handed it to her cousin, who opened it then stared at it strangely.  She tried to say something, but wasn't sure if it would help the situation that had suddenly grown tense.  "I received one like this years ago from him, but I have no idea why I'd be getting another one." 

Ophelia's gaze darted to Tevin who was looking at her anxiously.  Then, she focused on the letter again.  After another moment, she folded the letter up again and roughly shoved it back into the envelope.  She took a breath, and then looked at Arabella.  "Would you mind if I borrowed this?  Severus might want to see it."

Arabella nodded.  "Of course.  Do you think he'll know anything about it, then?"

Ophelia, when she nodded, looked nervous.  "He might."  Then, she reached out her hand towards her son, who looked at her with clear confusion, but took her hand anyway.  "Come on, Tevin.  Time to go home."  She turned to her cousin, despite the fact that she had resumed walking.  "I'll talk to you later, Arabella.  And when I know something about it, I'll let you know, alright?" 

Arabella nodded.  Just before Ophelia turned down the side alley from which they would apparate home, she heard Tevin ask, "What was in the letter?  Why would Dad want to see it?"

Just before the little crack that meant her cousin had apparated, Arabella was sure that she heard Ophelia say, "Something bad, Tevin." 


Severus was surprised to welcome back a confused son and an unsettled wife.  "Severus," Ophelia whispered urgently.  Then, she seemed to remember something.  She turned to the younger Snape.  "Tevin, go to your room and put Luna's present away."  Tevin hesitated before he did as he was told.  Severus knew his son well enough to realize that Tevin very much wanted to find out what was causing such restlessness in Ophelia but that the boy also knew that if it would affect him that Severus would tell him about it in time.

 Severus waited until the door to his son's room shut before he turned to Ophelia.  "What is it?"

She thrust an envelope at him.  "Look at this!"

Her nervousness seemed to absorb into him as he took the envelope and opened it, then unfolding the letter inside.  What he noticed first was the handwriting.  He knew it well.  That alone made him nervous.  Then, he began to read.

Arabella,

Years ago I charged you to watch over Harry Potter. 

He will be in the care of the Dursleys in the near future.  I need you to do as I asked long ago and watch over him.  His arrival is imminent.  Expect another letter upon his arrival in Surrey.

~ A. Dumbledore 

Severus choked on his breath.  "No."  His hands began to shake as he looked up at Ophelia.  "How-how did he find out?  We were careful.  We used the best memory charms.  We-"

"Severus, stop!"  Ophelia grabbed his wrists and made him focus on her.  "You can't panic.  Not now." 

Severus's eyes were darting all around the room.  "He heard.  It was him in the hallway that day.  He heard us talking."  Then his expression crumbled.  "He knows." 

"Severus!  You need to focus!" 

Neither of the adults heard a door open during all of this.  They did not know they were not alone until they heard a very quiet, "Dad?"  Both Severus and Ophelia looked toward the slightly opened door and saw Tevin peeking his head out of his room.  "Are you alright?"

Severus struggled to calm down.  He took several deep breaths and bit his lips to hold back any noises.  The hands in Ophelia's grip were shaking badly, the parchment trembling dangerously.  All he could do was shake his head in response to his son. 

Ophelia decided to take charge of the situation.  "Sit down, Severus."  She guided him into the armchair where he physically deflated.  He was clearly panicked.  By then, Tevin had wandered out of his room and was approaching the older man looking innocently terrified at his father's vulnerability. 

"Tevin?"  The boy looked up at her questioningly.  "Would you mind asking if you could go over to Draco's for a little while?" 

"Why?"  He looked quickly over at his father.

Severus nodded at him, with a movement lacking his normal grace.  "Do as she says." 

"Are you alright?"

Severus shook his head.  "No.  No, I'm-I've just read something very upsetting and-"

"He needs some time to get himself under control," finished Ophelia.  She went over to the fireplace and activated the floo.  She stuck her head into the green flames.  But Tevin's attention was no longer on her.

Tevin looked at his father in concern.  He tried to peer at the letter that was still shaking in his father's hand, but his father caught him and the older man turned it upside down and pressed it to his leg. 

Severus looked at his son for a long moment before he seemed to relax only slightly.  "Tevin, would you like to practice your Occlumency training tonight?"

"Will you be alright enough?"

Severus's eyes narrowed.  "Of course.  You have to learn this."

"Why can't we do it now?" 

Severus looked down at the parchment he was pressing into his leg.  "I need to take care of some things first.  Things about this letter."  He stared at it for a long moment before he looked back at his son.  "But we'll work on it tonight.  I promise.  I'll be alright by then.  We'll do it tonight." 

Tevin looked at Severus, unsure as to what he should say.  Nothing was making sense to him ever since they'd met Arabella Figg just outside of The Leaky Cauldron.  He shook his head to try to understand what was happening.  

"Severus," said a familiar voice from near the fireplace.  Tevin and Severus looked up to see Narcissa Malfoy in the parlor.  "I can see she's not exaggerating," she remarked as she took in Severus's state.  "Tevin, would you like to visit?" 

Tevin looked at his father again and waited to see what he would say.  Severus nodded at him and quietly said, "Go on.  One of us will come and get you later."  Tevin looked disappointed as he miserably walked towards Narcissa.  With a backward glance of confusion and discontentedness, he was spun away in green flames with Draco's mother to Malfoy Manor. 

Severus closed his eyes and breathed deeply before he looked up at Ophelia's patient and nervous face.  "I don't know what to do." 

"The only thing I can think to do is to ask everyone what they think we should do."

Severus was confused at her wording.  "Everyone?"

She offered a sympathetic smile.  "Who were the other people that know about all of this?"

Then, he realized what she was trying to get him to figure out.  "Remus and Flitwick."  She nodded.  Severus looked at the letter again.  When he spoke it was with growing stability.  "Would you go to Remus and bring him here?  I'll get Flitwick." 

Ophelia nodded and then after only a moment, she disappeared in a tornado of green flames.  Severus gathered himself and shoved the letter into an inner breast pocket before he stepped forward to the floo and spun away to the Charms Professor's office.


It was vaguely reminiscent of a discussion almost ten years ago.  The subject had not changed.  These four were still trying to determine how to protect a boy.  Only now, this boy was eight years old instead of an infant.  But these four people were once again confronted with the challenge of how to protect the boy. 

Filius Flitwick sat in a spelled chair so that he was at the proper height.  His shining eyes were now dull with dread.  To his right was Severus Snape, looking equally as troubled as his colleague.  Across from Flitwick was Remus Lupin, who was in the midst of reading the letter, his expression growing more and more ill with every word.  Lastly, across from Severus was Ophelia Fay, who looked upon him with kind and compassionate eyes. 

Remus set down the letter and released a troubled sigh.  Everyone stared at the letter in the middle of the table like it was a corpse on display at a wake. 

"Professor Flitwick," Severus whispered, as though reluctant to ask.  "How did I fail in those spells?"

Flitwick's head twitched as he silently argued with himself before answering.  "Did you cast any spells before them?  In at least eighteen hours before adjusting the Headmaster's memories, did you perform any magic at all?  If you did, your magic may not have been at full strength."  He waited for the response, gazing at his former student.

Ophelia's face paled in realization.  "You changed his eyes."

Severus's expression crumbled.  "I changed his eyes.  I took away Lily's eyes and gave him mine."  He looked at Flitwick in despair.  "Did I do this?  It was a simple spell - his eyes.  Would it have-"  Then, with piercing clarity, Severus remembered.  ‘You need to be at very high strength when you meet with Dumbledore.'  Flitwick had told him.  And Remus!  Remus had tried to warn him.  ‘Severus, you need to rest your magic.'  Why didn't he listen?  Why was he so arrogant to think he could do even one spell without risking his son's safety?  Was all of this his fault? 

"There must be something we can do," said Remus, snapping Severus out of his downward spiraling thoughts. 

"We can't think Dumbledore will fall for memory alteration twice."

Flitwick nodded.  "No, Ophelia, we can't.  That option is closed to us." 

Severus gazing hopefully but helplessly at Flitwick.  "We have to try something." 

"If Dumbledore suspects what we think he does - that Tevin and Harry are the same boy - then he'll be watching you, Severus, and Ophelia, but he'll especially be watching Tevin," Remus rationalized aloud. 

"Then, we have to have someone watch Dumbledore.  Or at least listen for anything that would tip us off of his intentions," said Ophelia. 

Everyone was silent as they tried to think of their options.  "What if," began Flitwick quietly, "we were to select a small group of students, the best in each House, for instance?  Train them in defense as though they were going into battle, and have them listen and watch for anything mentioned about Severus, or Ophelia, or Tevin?" 

The other three gathered around the table stared at the little professor as though he were either insane or a genius. 

"Are you proposing a sort of body guard group?  Won't that endanger the students?" Remus asked. 

"We could always brief them about the danger involved," Flitwick said.  "Or tell them it is an exercise in Auror training." 

"No," Remus said.  "You can't go around endangering your students - children - like this!  What if Dumbledore attacked any of them?  What if they get hurt?  Or what if-"

"Do you really think Dumbledore would attack any of the students in this school?" Flitwick asked, his voice squeaking in his surprise.  No one noticed Ophelia stiffen at the question. 

Remus pursed his lips as he snatched up the letter from the table, unfolded it, and then slammed it on the table again, pointing at the words. "‘His arrival is imminent,' it says.  And you ask me if I think he's capable or willing to use force to bury Tevin and bring back Harry?  It seems that answer is right there in his own writing!" 

"Then, what do you suggest?"

Remus deflated then.  "I don't know.  Go into hiding.  Get Tevin away from here."

"Hiding never works, Lupin.  We should all know this better than most," Severus said, looking sadly at his son's godfather. 

It was quiet for a long moment after that.  Then, Flitwick broke the silence.  "I'm not usually one who's willing to put my students in danger, but this is our best option."  No one said a word, but they nodded somberly.  "The next thing to decide," continued Flitwick, "is who to put in danger."

"One from each House, you think?" asked Severus, finally looking up from the menacing letter.  Flitwick nodded.  "Do you have anyone in mind?"

"They should probably be the most skilled students.  Ones that would do well as Aurors one day," suggested Remus, "especially if their cover story is Auror Training Preparation."

Flitwick and Severus nodded as they thought of their many students.  "Of my own House," finally announced the Charms professor, "I think I would recommend Judy Lewis."  With a flourish he waved his wand and a document was conjured in the air.  He took it and placed it on the table in front of Severus, so that the Potions Professor could read it, while he summed up her skills for Ophelia and Remus.  "She is highly skilled in Charms and Transfiguration.  She'll be entering her Seventh Year in the autumn, planning to take her N.E.W.T. level classes in Charms and Transfiguration.  When she was a Fifth Year and we had our career counseling sessions, she had told me that she has an ambition to teach either a Charms or Concealment and Disguise course in the Ministry for Aurors in Training."

Remus nodded.  "Sounds like an ideal candidate."

Severus nodded.  "I know the girl.  Her potions work is adequate, but she has prevented many injuries from her quick charms use when other students were too busy panicking over their mistakes."  He set the paper on Judy Lewis towards Ophelia, who was already nodding in agreement since Remus spoke. 

Remus looked at Severus.  "And from Slytherin?"

Severus thought for a long moment before a particular name stood out to him.  "Xuxa," he said.  "One of my Sixth Years.  Xuxa Nisal." 

Before Severus could do so, Flitwick had already conjured forth Xuxa's academic records.  Flitwick announced several key points about her as he skimmed over the parchment.  "Excels in Herbology, Potions, and Defense Against the Dark Arts." 

Ophelia's gaze snapped to Severus in recollection.  "Wasn't she the only girl to play on the Slytherin Quidditch team in over a century?"

"I thought Slytherin doesn't allow women to play on the House Team," said Remus. 

Severus somehow managed to smirk.  He was fond of this particular student.  "The only way she managed that was when Ronan was injured and unable to play.  When he held try-outs for his replacement seeker he refused to allow her to participate.  She was outspokenly offended by her boyfriend forbidding her from it, and she waited in the stands with her broom shrunken in her cloak.  She saw the snitch immediately, but wanted to wait for just the right moment.  After several of the boys at try-outs were still flying about for twenty minutes looking for the snitch, Xuxa had had enough, and she enlarged her broom, mounted it and caught the snitch in less than twenty seconds.  She demanded to fill in for her boyfriend as his replacement until he was recovered.  The team voted, and they allowed it by barely a majority, but she ended up playing for half of the year."

"And Slytherin won every game she played," put in Ophelia. 

Flitwick shook the paper in his hand.  "While that, if anything, may point to her being quite observant, we have to get back to whether or not she is the best in Slytherin for this."

The mood instantly became solemn again.  Severus nodded firmly as he said, "I believe she is.  She is very talented in Defense.  If we have the students work together on this, they should at least know each other.  If I am correct, aren't Miss Lewis and Miss Nisal friends?"

Flitwick nodded energetically.  "Best friends."

Remus nodded as though he were the one to officially decide.  "Two down.  Two to go.  Hufflepuff and Gryffindor, then."

Ophelia was the next one to speak up.  "What about that Weasley boy?"

"Which one?"

Ophelia rolled her eyes.  "Charlie." 

Flitwick immediately conjured up the records on Charlie Weasley.  "He has very similar skills to Miss Nisal, actually.  Most notably in Potions."

"Anitdotes, mainly," amended Severus.  "Regular potion-making is not his strongest discipline."

"Well, a good antidote-maker is something, don't you think?" asked Ophelia. 

Severus nodded in agreement.  "He's younger than the other two we've chosen."

"But he is extremely observant according to remarks from his Care of Magical Creatures instructor's notes, particularly in tracking an animal," continued Flitwick.  He peered at Severus from the top of his eyes, not lifting his head to look at the young man straight on.  "It is a promising skill for what we'll need these students to do." 

With a barely perceptible nod, Severus accepted the choice for the Gryffindor student.  "And from Hufflepuff?"

It was quiet for a long time.  No one could think of a student from Hufflepuff that was qualified enough for this.  Everyone was so deep in thought that no one noticed that Remus had done what Flitwick had done for the past three students and conjured up the academic record of a Hufflepuff student.  He was studying it intently in the silence.  After quite some time of contemplation, Remus whispered uncertainly, "Why not..."

Severus looked at his friend. "Why not who, Remus?"

Remus looked up but said nothing.  Instead, he handed the parchment to Severus, who looked only at the name before he returned his gaze to his former yearmate.  "You must be joking."

Remus shook his head, his manner completely serious.  "Look at her qualifications.  There's one there that has nothing to do with training that sets her apart from the other three we've already chosen!"

Severus looked again at the parchment.  When he saw the one word to which Remus had alluded, he was forced to agree with him.  "She's a metamorphmagus," he whispered in surprise. 

"And wants to become an Auror," finished Remus.  "How can you refuse that?"

Severus scowled.  "She's terrible in potions."

"A good fighter doesn't really have to be good in potions, Severus," Remus said, gently.  "She can become anything and anyone without Polyjuice Potion and her disguises could last far longer than one hour.  She's skilled in Defense Against the Dark Arts, Charms, and Transfiguration.  With skills like that, she doesn't need to carry weapons.  She can create them, conjure them, or use any sort of spell to do the job."  Remus took a breath before continuing to press Severus.  "Sure, Charlie Weasley and Xuxa Nisal are good at Potions, but can they fight?  Are they truly resourceful in a combat situation?  Here you have a student who is capable of combat and wants to become an Auror.  Why would you turn her down for this?"

Severus grew aggravated.  "Why are you pushing her onto me, Remus?"

Remus met his gaze solidly.  "Because I know what it's like to be underestimated, and considering your reaction, I bet she always is."  

Unexpectedly, Severus found himself suddenly several years in the past, remembering a certain detention from years ago...

 

He stared at the two students from his place in the front of his Potions Classroom.  He knew they were still uncertain as to why they were even sitting in the room for a detention they could not possibly have deserved.  Severus agreed.  They didn't deserve to be serving detention, but the circumstances demanded a more private conversation than a simple chat in the hallway would allow.  That being the case, detention was the best and least suspicious option.

"I know you're wondering why I've assigned you detention tonight," he said, deciding to be merciful and break the proverbial ice. 

The Hufflepuff and Gryffindor relaxed just a little. 

Severus would have smiled had the situation not been as serious.  "I'm not going to force you to do anything distasteful for this.  I have to speak with the both of you of what happened today."  He began to walk towards the seated students.  "However," he said, almost as an afterthought as he brandished his wand and levitated some objects towards the pair.  "Just in case another of our faculty decides to visit, I have to have you doing something."  He nodded at the objects in front of them.  "Miss Tonks, if you would use the mortar and pestle to grind the ingredients in front of you and then put them into the empty vessels next to you, Mister Weasley will properly stopper and label them." 

The students nodded and began to perform their mercifully light assignments with no protestations.  It was silent for a long while before Severus decided it was time to explain the real reason for their detention.  "Miss Tonks," he began.  "Mr. Weasley."  He waited until they were both looking at him.  "You did nothing wrong today."  Severus made an odd facial expression as though an inner voice had just reminded him of something.  "In fact, I believe I should thank you for helping my son."  The two students simply nodded to their professor expecting him to continue speaking.  He did not disappoint. 

"But there is something I have to make clear to you."  As he said this, his attention shifted solely to Nymphadora Tonks.  "I know you would have told Mr. Weasley all about what happened when you went to find me to inform me of the situation with my son and Draco Malfoy."

Tonks opened her mouth to respond, but Severus spoke first.  "What happened and who you met cannot go beyond the three of us.  Do you understand?"

The two students shook their heads this time.  By Charlie's expression, Nymphadora had said nothing to him about her encounter in their professor's home.  Severus sighed.  "The man you met today, Miss Tonks...When I was a student, he and I were not what you could call friends.  Those who knew both of us in our days as students do not believe we have ever become friends.  It must continue to seem that way."

Tonks narrowed her eyes.  "Then why was he in your home?"

Severus looked at her with an odd expression as though weighing what exactly to tell the girl.  "Because he is my son's godfather."  Both students were clearly shocked by this information.  He let them take it in for a moment.  "As it is, very few people are aware of this.  It must be kept quiet."  

"Professor?" spoke up Tonks.  He looked directly at Nymphadora. "Why did you have to extinguish the floo when he was there?"

"Because not even the Headmaster or the other staff members in this school know that we have reconciled since our time as students, and it must remain that way."  He was growing impatient with her questioning.

"But, Professor, why can't anyone-"

"Because lives depend on it!" Severus snapped.  He sighed as he reigned in his temper and realized that the Gryffindor and Hufflepuff students sitting in front of him were clearly surprised by his anger. He finally looked at Nymphadora again.  "Miss Tonks, you have never met him.  Do you understand?" 

Her response was a long time in arriving.  "Will I ever see him again?"

"I hope not."

"Why?"

Severus looked down and gathered his thoughts.  "Do you know the incantation of ‘legilimens'?"

Nymphadora shook her head.  Charlie, however, sat a little straighter.  "It's kind of like mind-reading, right, professor?"

Severus nodded.  "In a way.  It is a spell that allows a witch or wizard to enter the mind of another and find every secret of the other person, every memory, the identity of everyone held dear, your fears, your most treasured of objects and people."  The faces of his students were growing still and statuesque in their fear.  "It is an unpleasant experience...and not one I would wish on anyone.  It enables someone to pick anything from another's mind and use it as a weapon against them.  With that spell you can also control another's mind.  It is a very dangerous spell." 

Charlie whispered in response.  "Why isn't that an Unforgivable Spell?"

Severus looked at Charlie then.  "Why isn't Obliviate considered an Unforgivable Curse?" 

Charlie and Tonks exchanged glances at the question.  They obviously agreed with their teacher. 

"There is one defense to Legilimency."  He waited until they were both looking him in the eye.  "It is the craft of Occlumency."  Their faces went blank.  "Only those who require its use are typically familiar with it.  It acts as a sort of shield to protect you and your mind from invasion."

"Like the Protego Charm?" ventured the Gryffindor. 

Severus shook his head.  "Not precisely." 

"Professor," spoke up the Hufflepuff.  "Why aren't we taught Occlumency in Defense Against the Dark Arts?"

Severus looked at Nymphadora with an expression that very nearly gave away that he was impressed by the question, but a moment later the look was veiled again.  "Because only a skilled Legilimens would be capable of instructing students in it.  And also, it could be considered unethical to train students in an art that involves exposing everything in a student's life to the instructor while they are learning Occlumency."

"Oh," both students said quietly. 

It was quiet for a long moment before Severus began speaking again.  "However, we have digressed in this discussion."  He focused once again on Nymphadora.  "You both must keep Remus's identity safe.  If someone were to hypothetically use Legilimency on either of you and discover his connection to me...then everyone involved will be in grave danger.  Do you understand?"

Both of his students nodded. 

"I need your word for now."

"I swear, Professor Snape, to not say a word about Mr. Lupin," came the immediate response of Nymphadora Tonks. 

"Me too.  I don't even know what he looks like, but I promise that, too."  Charlie Weasley looked confused as he spoke the words, but it did not lessen the determination and resolve in his expression. 

Severus gazed at the pair of them, thinking it was not exactly much to go on, but...

 

"It will have to do," Severus finally determined.  "Provided she is the best option in Hufflepuff."

"I can't think of anyone else better suited for it," admitted Flitwick. 

Remus leaned back in his chair a little, though his back was straightened with a satisfaction that comes from besting another person at their own game.  Ophelia stared at the four pieces of parchment on the table containing the records of the four students.  Severus sighed.  "Alright.  How do we notify them all that they will be agreeing to potentially put their lives in danger?"

A slow smile spread over Flitwick's tiny face.  "I have an idea."


Remus watched his godson entertain himself on his parlor floor.  A variety of objects were spread out in front of the boy.  Among them was Tevin's favorite writing utensil - the pencil-quill he'd received from Severus during their first Christmas together, sheets and sheets of parchment, an open inkwell, and Remus's old Charms book which was opened to a page more towards the beginning than the end.  Tevin was bored by this point during his visits and usually spent his time practicing very difficult spells for his age with his training wand then writing down whether or not he could do them successfully.  If he failed to perform the spell correctly, he would make a note of it on one of his sheets of parchment to later show his father.  Severus would usually then give his son several quiet sessions of instruction on how to perform the spells correctly, unless they were a questionable charm that no child under the age of thirteen should even be performing, nevermind an eight year old child!

While Tevin was completely absorbed in his task, Remus Lupin was faring less than ideally.  Ever since that meeting with Flitwick, Ophelia, and Severus earlier he was getting increasingly more worried about the safety of his godson and his friends.  It was as though history were repeating itself, only instead of James, Lily, Sirius, and Harry the players had changed slightly. 

He watched his godson from his chair in his kitchen as he slowly nursed a cup of tea.  Opened in front of him was a rather worn piece of parchment - an impressively large piece of parchment - with many folds.  It had clearly been folded and unfolded many, many times with use.  Remus looked back at the parchment and saw several names all grouped into one spot - in a place that Remus knew as Severus's Potions Classroom - on it. 

 

Severus Snape

Ophelia Fay

Filius Flitwick

Charlie Weasley

Nymphadora Tonks

Xuxa Nisal

Judy Lewis

 

He sighed to himself as he looked again at his godson, who had just seemingly performed a spell successfully since his training wand let off a purple glow.  According to the map, Severus and Flitwick were offering their students the chance to put their lives at risk for the sake of Severus, his son, and Ophelia.  Finally, when Remus looked back at Tevin, he knew that he'd made his decision.  "Mischief managed," he said.  All of the ink on the parchment disappeared.

He stood with much more confidence than he really felt and approached Tevin, taking the parchment with him.  When he reached him, the boy looked up at him from his seated place on the floor and offered him a satisfied smile.  It was the expression that stopped Remus's voice in his throat.

"Look!" he said.  With an energy only found in an excited young boy, Tevin flourished his training wand as he forcefully incanted, "Relashio!"  The tip of the young wizard's wand briefly glowed bright purple before it extinguished. 

"Very good," Remus said half-heartedly.  Under normal circumstances, he would have been much more supportive, but not that day.  That day he was absorbed in other thoughts...thoughts that had nothing to do with the successful performance of a charm.  

Remus crouched low next to his godson.  "Tevin," he said, the seriousness of his tone was caught by the boy.  Tevin's smile vanished and put all of his attention on his godfather.  "I have something for you.  It's very important." 

Tevin said nothing.  He stared directly into Remus's eyes.  Remus looked intently at Tevin before continuing, trying to impress the importance and seriousness of the situation on the boy.  The older wizard held between them the large parchment.  "This is for you.  It was mine when I was a student in Hogwarts."  He held it out closer to Tevin.

The boy hesitantly accepted the folded parchment.  "What is it?  Just spare parchment?"

Remus tried to laugh, but he failed.  "No, Tevin.  It's..."  Remus sighed harshly.  He drew his wand and pointed it at the parchment.  Gently, he touched the tip of the wand to it.  "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good."  Suddenly it was as though the parchment came to life.  Trails of footprints appeared then disappeared all over it.  Each set of footprints had a name next to it. 

"Is it a map?"

"Yes.  When I was a student we used it to evade people in the school."  Remus smiled in fond remembrance.  "Or, sometimes, to find people." 

Tevin was already unfolding section after section.  "Is that really Professor McGonagall?"

Remus made a show of looking to where Tevin was pointing.  "Yes.  This map never lies.  It can't lie." 

Tevin continued flipping while Remus watched him closely.  "Is my dad on this?"

Remus leaned forward and folded over several pages of the map until he found the location that he knew Severus was standing.  He pointed out his name.  "See?  Right there is your father." 

Tevin looked at the other names that were gathered around his father's name.  He recognized them all - they were students from the school.  He knew some of them - particularly Charlie and Nymphadora - more than the others, but he still knew who they were.  "Why are all these people there, too?" 

Remus knew exactly why.  "I think that's a question better answered by your father, Tevin."

Tevin went back to studying the map.  Then, after staring at the names for a long while for many moments, he wasked a question.  "Is this how you always knew when to come when no one else was there?"

Remus nodded.  "If others in Hogwarts knew that your father and I have been friends for many years things would be very different for all of us."  He didn't want to discuss this in greater detail, not now...not yet.  "But, Tevin, I wanted to give this to you to help you."

Tevin stared at it, his expression growing more and more confused by the moment.  "Why?  I don't need it."

Remus offered a half-smile.  He wished that weren't true.  "With this you can use it to find people that will help you."

Tevin looked at his godfather.  "With what?"

Remus hesitated.  "Enemies can come from where you least expect, Tevin.  You have to know who you can trust.  This map will let you find the ones you trust when you need them.  They won't need to find you with this because you'll always know where they are.  With this map, Tevin, you know where your enemies are and can avoid them."

Tevin nodded.  "How do I make the map go away?"

Remus smiled proudly.  He touched his wand to the map.  "You simply say, ‘Mischief managed.'"  The words, the map, and the names all vanished from the folded parchment. 

Tevin gave his godfather a wicked smile.  "But my training wand doesn't let me do real magic." 

Remus and Tevin stared at each other before the older man laughed.  "Well, then, Tevin!  I suppose we'll have to keep it on all the time for you then, won't we?" 

Tevin nodded.  "Uh-huh." 

Godfather and godson spent the next several hours looking at every section of the map, Tevin constantly asking questions while Remus patiently answered.  In the middle of one of Tevin's questions, the fireplace exploded in green flames.  Ophelia's face was there in the fire.  "Hello, Remus."  Then, she looked at Tevin.  "Your father wants you to come home, Tevin."  Her image disappeared from the fireplace. 

Tevin jumped up from his place on the floor and was about to step through the floo when his godfather's voice stopped him.  "Aren't you forgetting something?"  Tevin turned and saw Remus holding up the still-activated map, looking at it pointedly.  "Don't show this to your father right away."  Remus stood and went to the fireplace and snatched up some floo powder for Tevin.  The fire had since returned to its natural orange shade.

Tevin took the map.  He nodded.  "I won't tell Dad."  He folded it up as much as he could and then put it in his pocket, pulling his shirt down as much as he could to try to hide it from view. 

Remus tossed the powder into the flames.  "Snape home, Hogwarts."  The fire grew as it turned from orange to green.  "I'll see you soon."  He gave him a gentle nudge.

Just before he stepped into the fire, Tevin wondered aloud, "What if I don't know they're my enemy?"  But he was gone before Remus could answer. 


Severus turned to face his old Charms professor after he'd dismissed the four students from their joint detention from his classroom, gazing hard at the tiny professor. He waved his wand subtly.  "Muffliato." 

"That went well," ventured Flitwick. 

Severus's eyes lost some of their hardness.  "I'm not sure I can do this to these students." 

Flitwick came to his former student.  "We've told them everything-"

"-that they need to know, but not everything they should know.  How is that justifiable?" 

Flitwick sighed.  "You listen to me, Severus Snape, and you listen well."  He pointed his wand at Severus from his much lower position.  "The four students we've chosen are the best candidates we have.  It's why we chose them.  They will know the risks."

"How?"

Flitwick lowered his wand and shrugged.  "I'll draft up a parental agreement for each of them, telling them that we are working on developing a new course for Hogwarts." 

"That seems to be pushing the truth, don't you think?"

Flitwick's expression was wickedly clever.  "Necessary in this case."

"So we'll lie to their parents about the danger these students are going to be in." 

"You've already been lying to the Headmaster now for how many years, now?" 

Severus and Flitwick locked gazes firmly.  Finally, Severus admitted defeat.  "Very well.  Draft your release."  A moment later, he left his classroom and entered his Hogwarts home.  He saw Ophelia waiting almost nervously by the fireplace.  "Tell my son I want him home."  He was walking into Tevin's room as he heard Ophelia toss powder into the flames. 


Tevin fell to the floor of his room, panting heavily.  "Dad.  We have to stop."

Severus charged at his collapsed son and hauled him to his feet.  "Your shields were stronger last week.  You have to do better than this.  I know you can."  He barely steadied the boy before he stalked back across Tevin's bedroom and raised his wand. 

"Dad, please!"

"Legilimens!" barked Severus.  All speech was impossible for Tevin in that instant.  Memories assaulted the boy in rapid succession, good, bad, it didn't matter.  It was as though his head was being slammed repeatedly against a wall and split open.  He tried in vain to erect his mental shield, but it only made his head hurt worse.  He tried then calling out to his father, but he knew he didn't hear him. 

Without being fully conscious of doing so, Tevin grabbed his own head and clenched his eyes in an attempt at keeping tears at bay.  Tevin screamed out for his father until his throat hurt.  It was only when he was distantly aware of wetness on his cheeks and the faint sensation of his body smashing into the ground that his father's attack stopped. 

When Tevin opened his eyes and looked up at his father, he saw that his posture was rigid and stiff.  Severus took only one step forward but then halted immediately.  It looked like Minnie when she accidentally scratched someone and was wondering exactly how to apologize for the misdeed.  Severus looked down at the wand in his hand in shock. 

"Tevin," he whispered in a tone Tevin had very rarely heard. 

"Dad," he croaked from the floor, blinking slowly, knowing he couldn't stop his own tears.  Why did his father hurt him like that?  He couldn't even begin to guess. 

Then, his father was at his side again.  Tevin felt his hands gently encased and lowered from his own head.  "Son, I'm-"  Tevin kept his eyes closed as Severus ran his thumbs over the tracks of Tevin's tears, wiping them away.  "Oh, Tevin.  I'm so sorry, I-"

Tevin opened his eyes, then, and looked directly into the identical eyes of his father.  "Why did you do it so hard?  Are you mad?"

Severus's face crumbled.  "No, son, not angry.  I'm-I'm worried.  You have to learn this quickly, Tevin." 

Tevin did not understand.  "Why?"  When his father didn't say anything else, he tried again.  "Why do I have to learn Occlumency faster than before?"

He took a long time to respond.  "You have to be able to protect yourself if I'm not there." 

"You said you always would be."

Severus shook his head, his dark hair swaying like curtains in a gentle breeze.  "Unfriendly wicthes and wizards can be anywhere, Tevin, and I may not always be at your side to help you."  Tevin looked at his father in alarm.  "If I can, I will always be there, but if I can't I need you to be as well prepared as you can be."

"But, Dad, why are you pushing Occlumency like this?"

Severus smoothed back his son's unruly hair.  "Because it can save your life.  And Tevin-I-"  He choked on his own voice.  "Tevin, son...I can't lose you, too." 

The only thing Tevin could do was wrap his smaller arms around his father.  "You won't, Dad."  Severus embraced his only child and tried desperately to hold back his fear, his tears, and his sobs, but succeeding at none of them. 


Three days later, Dumbledore and McGonagall were not in the Great Hall for the mid-day meal.  However, everyone else - at least on staff - was in attendance.  While enjoying a particularly delicious lunch in the Great Hall, Filius Flitwick received four letters.  He had a suspicion as to who had sent them as soon as they were dropped near his plate.  With an excited little squeak and a quick dab of his napkin to his mouth, the small dueling expert opened each letter.  His smile increased with each one. 

"...I agree to allow my child Charles Weasley to participate in special, experimental instruction for the development of a Pre-Auror Training Class to take place at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. 

 

Signed: Molly Weasley and Arthur Weasley

Relationship to Student: Parents

Date: June 6, 1989"

 

The others were the same form.  All he had to do was check for one section - the signatures of the guardians. 

"...Signed: Ren Nisal & Haruo Nisal"

 

"...Signed: Ted Tonks, Andromeda Tonks"

 

"...Signed: Gwen & Aaron Lewis"

Filius Flitwick exhaled in relief.  He looked out into the Great Hall and saw Severus's young son amongst the Hogwarts students.  They've all become accustomed to the boy's presence.  It was rather remarkable.  Tevin was huddled over an open book on the Slytherin House table as he devoured his lunch.  Next to him was Ronan Aloysius, a young and handsome boy with a calculating gaze and soothing carriage.  He was a god student, excelling at Charms, and an ideal candidate for a boyfriend.  However, he was already taken, and she sat beside him.  Xuxa Nisal, a young girl of Japanese descent, looked every bit as intelligent and clever as a member of Slytherin should.  She was the only girl to have ever played Quidditch for Slytherin in centuries - and all because she refused to be underestimated.  She was constantly alert and listening for anything interesting around her.  Flitwick nodded to himself.  He thinks they made the right choice from Slytherin. 

For the first time in several days, Flitwick was hopeful.  He put all of the letters back into the envelopes in which they came to him.  He would conceal them as soon as he left the Great Hall.  He had to protect them as much as he could.  Leaving their identities anywhere for someone to see would lead directly to their own attack.  This was something Flitwick could not handle.  He was already guilty about not telling them everything - especially the danger and risks involved.  The last thing he needed was a serious situation going on with these students. 

He tucked the letters into his robes and then looked to the side.  Severus was eating slowly, as usual, but with his focus that much more on his son.  Finally, he seemed to have become aware that he was being watched.  He turned his eyes to his former professor. 

"They've agreed, Severus." 

"All of them?" the younger man asked, spearing a steamed carrot. 

Flitwick nodded, cheerfully sipping his wine.  "I'll show you the letters later." 

Severus almost snorted.  "I believe you, Professor."  His voice trailed off and Flitwick recognized it all too well. 

"But?"

Severus sighed.  "I find it curious that both the Headmaster and his Deputy are absent the day you receive the parental releases."  He reached for his own wine then. 

Flitwick giggled.  "Severus, I happen to know that they are planning out next term's House Prefects right now." 

"During lunch?  They couldn't do it after classes?" 

Flitwick's glee vanished immediately.  "I know you're worried, my boy."  He took a long, much less cheerful sip of wine.  "And I would be lying if I said that I wasn't worried, too." 

Severus and Flitwick both looked out over the students in the Great Hall.  "I know," Severus said quietly.  "I know." 

To be continued...
End Notes:
I finally, finally, finally have a little time and some free internet – I’m eternally grateful for coffee shops right now! – in order to update this. I’m on a roll. Working on the next chapter now, everyone. Hopefully it will be up by next week! Thank you to everyone who is still reading!

I hope everyone enjoyed the chapter. As I mentioned, I’m on a kick with this with every spare moment of my time. I hope people are still interested in this story. Please leave a review with your thoughts, but once again, keep your flames to yourself. Thank you. (Xuxa Nisal, Judy Lewis, and their family members are my own inventions. DO not use them without my permission. Thanks.) ~ RK


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1892