Sacrifices by Raven Knight
Summary: Harry Potter goes missing less than a day after being dropped on the doorstep of the Dursley home. One person must determine who his friends and enemies are as he protects the boy under the Headmaster's watch. Unusual favors are called in, unlikely friendships develop, and the shadow of betrayal grows darker...
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Charlie, Draco, Dumbledore, James, Lily, Lucius, Original Character, Other, Remus, Tonks
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Baby fic, Child fic, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Character Death, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 36 Completed: No Word count: 196901 Read: 175443 Published: 31 Jul 2009 Updated: 01 Mar 2013
Chapter 36 - Devleoping Connections by Raven Knight
Author's Notes:
One of the shortest chapters, but things are about to get very busy in these last chapters. This chapter is mainly to introduce several more familiar characters. Enjoy, everyone! ~ RK

Now that the excitement from the holidays had passed, the students of Hogwarts were once again ready to focus on their spells and potions instead of their presents and new possessions they'd recently received from their friends and family.  It was also a time when the interest around the school peaked about Quidditch.  It seemed everyone was interested in Quidditch that year.  Quidditch Through the Ages was getting borrowed from the library at a frightening consistency.  Students were studying the subject like it was part of the O.W.L. or N.E.W.T. exams. 

Everyone, that is, except four particular students that had increasingly more frequent lessons with two professors of Hogwarts.  Once Severus's grief had lessened, and Tevin began to resemble himself just a little more, Filius and Severus had agreed that it was now more important than ever to prepare their four chosen students.  They had been progressing nicely, and had clearly practiced as much as they could over the holidays.  Now, it was a matter of shaping them into the guardians that they hoped they could all become. 

Severus and Filius tended to train them in pairs.  Filius would use Severus's parlor for Charms lessons, while Severus used his private labs for Occlumency strengthening. 

"Once more, Mister Weasley," encouraged Flitwick, knowing that the young Gryffindor was so close to producing a full Patronus Charm.

"Expecto Patronum!" shouted Charlie Weasley, deciding that maybe if he were more forceful with the incantation, his level of success might increase.  From his wand burst a bright light.  It slowly took shape. 

"Hold onto that memory, now!" shouted Flitwick in his excitement. 

Charlie focused as much of his mind as he could as he maintained the spell.  Suddenly, the silvery light became large wings...batlike wings.  Distantly, he heard Nymphadora Tonks suggest that very creature aloud, but Charlie continued to keep his focus.  Then, the bat wings had a body that was clearly not a bat.

Flitwick almost fell off the coffee table in his excitement.  He could not contain his small skip of pride as he beheld the corporeal Patronus now flying all around Charlie Weasley.  Nymphadora stared at it, a mixture of jealousy, frustration, and awe on her features.  "A dragon," she breathed. 

Charlie lost his concentration in his own excitement.  He turned to Tonks.  "I was hoping it would be a dragon."  Then, he smiled.  "I mean, it really couldn't be anything else."

She laughed too.  "Not really." 

Flitwick was scratching something furiously on some parchment.  "Oh, well done!  Well done, Mister Weasley!"  After he'd made his notations, he vanished the quill and parchment then turned to the young Hufflepuff student.  "And, now, you, Miss Tonks.  Have you been practicing this charm as well?"

She nodded.  "Yes, professor.  I have, but mine isn't full yet."

Flitwick was positive and encouraging.  "We'll get you there.  Let's see what we have so far since last time."

She took a deep breath and focused on her memories, trying to find the strongest one.  She thought she might have found it.  "Expecto Patronum," she said, firmly. Her wand produced the same light as Charlie Weasley's, but it was not nearly as strong.  Just as Charlie's had begun, it began to transform into a corporeal figure starting with a set of wings.  Only the tips of these wings were discernible, and immediately after taking shape did they begin to waver.  In her frustration, her concentration broke, and her charm began to fade.  She let out an angry growl as the silvery light vanished from the parlor. 

It was quiet for a moment before Flitwick broke the awkward silence.  "Don't be discouraged, Miss Tonks.  This is a very difficult spell.  Now, let's work on it again, this time I want you to keep hold of your memory - whatever it is you chose - and keep it strong."  She nodded miserably.  "Are you ready?" 

She raised her wand again.  "Expecto Patronum."  It was an even more disappointing spell for her.  Not even wings emerged.  Her shoulders slumped at her failure.  

Flitwick recognized what she needed instead.  "Let's move on to dueling.  Defense isn't only about Patronus Charms, you know."  The last he said to Nymphadora with a meaningful grin.  "Mister Weasley, you attack first, and then we'll see how long you both last without injuring each other."  The two students raised their wands in a formal duel stance.  Quickly, Flitwick announced, "Begin!" 


While Tevin found learning about Occlumency incredibly interesting, he found watching others learn how to perform it incredibly uninteresting.  He was glad that his father finally allowed him to watch some of the lessons he was teaching to the four best students in the school, but it was so boring!  There wasn't much said.  Just a lot of concentration, and occasional staring at each other.  It wasn't like watching a duel.  That was exciting.

He'd rather be visiting Luna - as weird as being in her home could be at times.  At least there were all sorts of crazy and bizarre things to do there.  All sorts of weird stories her father told during lunch...and dinner...and tea time.  It didn't matter what time of day it was!  If there was someone around that was willing to listen, Mister Lovegood was chatting about some unheard of beast in Sweden, or the tiniest gnome known to wizard-kind...which he was convinced he had
actually seen when he was trimming the little garden on the side of their house. 

Draco's house could be fun.  They always had a good time together.  It didn't matter what they were doing.  Besides, now that they were going to the Quidditch World Cup this year...Tevin smiled to himself.  He couldn't wait.  Sure, they've watched countless games at Hogwarts, but the World Cup was something else entirely.  It was Quidditch to the extreme. 

Or maybe he could ask to visit his godfather.  He hadn't seen him as often as he'd used to, and now that he was actually thinking about it, the idea bothered Tevin.  Remus would always step through the floo for a random tea chat, or to see what his godson and his father had been up to since he'd last seen them.  But not so often anymore.  Now he did not visit sometimes for a few weeks at a time.  And when he did come by he looked exhausted.  His godfather had always been a little tired and sickly-looking, but not as much as he seemed to look now.  Tevin reminded himself to ask his godfather about it next time he came to see him. 

"Good, Miss Nisal, very good," his father praised as they ended their staring competition.  "Your shields are developing well."

Xuxa smiled at her Head of House's compliments.  "Thank you, professor."

Severus nodded at the girl before turning to the Ravenclaw.  "While Miss Nisal rests, let's begin your lesson." 

Tevin saw Judy Lewis preparing herself for his father's mental attack on her.  He was curious to see which House was better at Occlumency.  The Slytherin or the Ravenclaw.  He wasn't sure just by looking at the two friends.  He supposed it was much like comparing him with Draco in flying.  Tevin was more focused than his friend, but stayed on course.  He was deliberate.  Draco, on the other hand, was much flashier and dared to try unusual methods.  There was one time that Draco lifted and flew up to several feet whilst keeping his broom straight up, and staying in a standing position before he mounted the broom like a normal rider.  Tevin preferred the non-flashy style.  He just liked to ride.  Draco liked to show off. 

"Legilimens!"

Tevin's attention came back to the Occlumency lesson.  He'd probably learn something if he actually paid attention.  But unlike the two Hogwarts students, he just couldn't concentrate on it. 
 


"Now, I think we've worn ourselves out for the time being."  Charlie and Nymphadora were lying on opposite sides of the room, groaning their agreement.  Flitwick smiled indulgently.  "You both obviously had some aggression building up for a while for you to end up like this."  He waved his wand and things began to right themselves about the room.  "Anything in particular either of you would like to discuss?"

Charlie shook his head.  "I'm fine."

It was Nymphadora who spoke up.  "I'm frustrated about my Patronus."

"Ah," Flitwick encouraged.  "I was wondering when you would mention this."  By that time the room had been straightened and Flitwick was making his way to his Hufflepuff student.  "Some witches and wizards never manage a corporeal Patronus.  That you've come as far as you have is quite an accomplishment, especially for your age." 

She wasn't comforted by the statement.  "But I'm so close."

"I won't lie to you and tell you that you'll get there with a bit more time, practice, and patience.  As a teacher I should tell you that, but I won't.  You may never get there."  Then, he grinned wickedly at her.  "But that doesn't mean time, practice, and patience won't help." 

She rolled her eyes.  "I know."

"Now, up, up - both of you!  I want you both to look over this immensely informative tome I brought for the two of you to look at in your own time."  He pointed his wand behind him and gave it a harsh flick forward.  Drifting closer to him from behind were identical copies of a book.  "You're both farther along with my lessons than Miss Nisal and Miss Lewis.  Let's not embarrass Miss Lewis about it, however.  She is my House and would be ashamed to think that she'd failed my teaching somehow." 

"It's our secret, professor," Charlie said, somewhere between a laugh and a whisper. 

Charlie and Nymphadora reached towards the floating books and looked at the covers.  It was a highly advanced charms book.  The Gryffindor and Hufflepuff exchanged an intrigued look.  "We're that good at this?"

Flitwick was still smiling.  "I think it's time we challenged you both a bit more."

They began to leaf through the pages, stopping here and there on a certain spell or eyecatching enchantment.  "I didn't even know this was possible!" gasped Nymphadora.  She looked to her professor, who was holding back some merry chuckling.

"Did you really think your education stops once you leave Hogwarts?  No, dear Miss Tonks.  It only begins here." 


There were days when he really enjoyed sitting next to his father at the staff table during meals, and other times when he'd much prefer to be among the students.  It was getting more and more interesting to see kids come to the school each year that was just a little bit closer to his own age.  Soon he wouldn't be allowed to sit beside his father at the staff table. 

Because he would be sorted, and he would start living in Hogwarts like every other younger person there - like a student.  He'd go to classes soon and actually get graded!  He'd be taking exams! 

He'd be Sorted.

That meant no more sitting at any table he felt like that night. He would have to sit at his House table. 

But what if he had friends in another House?

Tevin looked back at the Slytherin House Table.  His father was a Slytherin.  He could end up there.  He turned to look at the younger students near him.  They were in his mother's house.  Gryffindor.  His gaze wandered to his father at the staff table, who was deep in discussion with Professor Flitwick.  Would his father be mad if he didn't get sorted into Slytherin? 

What if he was sorted into Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw?  Neither of his parents were from there, so it would be entirely odd for that to happen!

"Alright, there, Snape?"

Tevin looked up at one of Charlie Weasley's younger brothers.  His twin sat to his right, and both were staring at him.  One of them was Fred and the other one was George.  He never thought he'd be able to get it right with which was which.  They looked exactly the same!

"Uh-huh," he muttered distractedly, going back to eating his stew. 

One of the twin Weasleys leaned over the table toward Tevin.  "Any chance we could have a gander at that map of yours again?"

"Fred and I have been thinking about it a lot," said the other twin.  And if they weren't switching identities again, the one on the right was George.

"I'm not supposed to have it out all the time."

Fred laughed.  "And I bet you always do what your dad tells you."

"Mostly."

"We don't."

Tevin shook his head.  "I know."  His father usually told him about the latest dunderhead that served detention with him right after said detention had ended.  Ever since their first month at Hogwarts, Fred and George Weasley had been mentioned at least once a week.  They were quickly becoming known as the school troublemakers. 

For once, Tevin was glad that his father forbade him from showing anyone except him, Professor Flitwick, Remus, Ophelia, Judy Lewis, Xuxa Nisal, Nymphadora Tonks, and Charlie Weasley his map.  The first time he brought it into the corridors was the start of this school year, and he hadn't been very careful about it.


"See, Charlie?  It shows everyone!" Tevin enthusiastically pointed to the inked feet and name flags on the parchment labeled ‘Charlie Weasley' and ‘Tevin Snape' at the Gryffindor House table.  He held the huge parchment just under the edge of the table, letting it peek out just enough for the two of them to see. 

"Diggory, Cedric!" shouted Professor McGonagall from the front of the Great Hall.  Next to her was the stool on which every student of Hogwarts was to sit as she placed the Sorting Hat on his or her head, waiting for its decision. 

A skinny, dark-haired boy walked up to McGonagall.  He radiated confidence, but not arrogance.  He calmly hopped up onto the stool, and closed his eyes as the Head of Gryffindor put the old worn hat on his head.  It didn't take long.  "Hufflepuff!"  Cedric smiled and hopped off the stool.

"See?  There he goes, Charlie, look!"  He pointed to the flag with Cedric's name.  They darted their gaze from Cedric to the name on the parchment, watching the flag track his every movement, until it stopped when Cedric sat down at the Hufflepuff Table.

They continued to watch everyone's progress both in real life, watching as they walked from one place to another, and on the map.  There was even a moment when Tevin told Charlie that Filch had just come into the Great Hall without turning to face the big doors.  But Charlie looked and laughingly told Tevin that he was right.   Tevin had grinned cheekily back at the older Gryffindor.  "No, the map was right.  It never lies."

"Weasley, Fred!"

Tevin got very excited.  "Is he your brother?"

"One of them."

Fred was quickly sorted into Gryffindor.  When he passed off the other first years and head towards the two of them, Tevin realized why Charlie decided to sit on the edge of the second years.  And it wasn't so that Tevin could get a good view.  Fred was loud as he threw himself onto the long bench across from Tevin and Charlie.  "If I didn't end up here, do you think mum and dad would be furious?"

Charlie shook his head.  "Surprised, maybe, but not furious."

"I think deep down they would be mad.  Who would they cheer for come Quidditch games?"

"Whichever son didn't make them mad that day, I would think."

"Well, then I guess it's good I'm not somewhere other than Gryffindor!"

Fred was so distracting that neither Tevin nor Charlie realized that someone had come up behind them...until he spoke.  "What's that big piece of parchment, there, brother Charles?"

"Well, brother George, it belongs to Tevin here and you can't have it."

It was then that Fred really looked at the boy sitting next to his older brother.  "How's he here?  He looks as old as Ron!"

"Only smaller!" added George.

"No, I'm not!"

George gave Tevin a look of suspicion.  "You don't even know Ron.  Unless you've been spying on us or something and no one knew."  He saw the hesitation and slightly guilty expression on the younger boy's face.  "You have been spying!  Let's see then!"

"Yeah, let us in on the secret!"

Charlie intervened then.  "Leave him alone.  Remember how I used to tell you about Professor Snape?"

Both Fred and George grimaced.  "The potions professor?"

"Sounds like he's a right git, that one."

Tevin bristled and was about to give the twin Weasleys a tongue lashing, but Charlie beat him to his voice.  "This is Professor Snape's son, Tevin."

Fred and George froze instantly.  Even though Fred recovered first, the pause was still too long.  "Did I say ‘git'?"

"I heard ‘great,' there, Fred."  George was looking desperate.  "Yep, ‘like he's right great, that one' is what you said."

Charlie leaned closer to Tevin.  "Ignore them.  They've always been pathetically dim-witted."

"Pathetically dim-witted?" gasped Fred in mock outrage. "Are not!"

"We're remarkably clever for our tender age!"

Tevin smiled to himself.  "If you're so clever, how come you weren't sorted into Ravenclaw?"

"Because like all Weasleys we have red hair, and red hair means Gryffindor.  It's meant to be."

That made no sense to Tevin.  He looked at Charlie, silently asking his help in leaving the madness that had descended on the Gryffindor table.  Charlie knew what he was asking.  He drew his wand and gave the parchment under the table a tap, whispering, "Mischief managed." 

But while George did not exactly always seem to pay attention, he in fact did pay attention a great deal.  He saw all of the ink disappear on the parchment in Tevin's hands. In his astonished excitement, he grabbed onto his brother's shoulder and Tevin's shoulder and launched himself forward so quickly it was impressive that he did not smash his head on the table.  "Hang on!  How did all the ink go away?"

Fred didn't hesitate.  "We are in a school for magic."

George didn't seem to hear his twin.  He rounded on Charlie.  "What is it?"

Tevin and Charlie exchanged a look.  "It's up to you, Tevin.  It's your map."

That got Fred's attention.  "Map? A map of what?"

"He's got it under the table!" Immediately, Fred disappeared from his seat.  It was so quick that Tevin didn't know where he'd gone until he felt a hand tugging the parchment to the floor.  Fred was under the table. 

"Go on, Charlie," said Tevin, reluctant to show the twins his map, but knowing they might leave him alone if he did what they wanted. 

Charlie shook his head and tapped the blank parchment with his wand again.  "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good."  The ink slowly began to take shape.

Fred and George made noises that Tevin had heard muggles make at extremely large and colorful firework displays.  Then, the questions came.

"Wait, now, those are people?"

"Where are they?"

"Is that me?"

"And me?"

"And Charlie?"

"And is that...no."

"Yes," Tevin answered the half-spoken question.

"Merlin's Beard, it's everyone!"

"Everyone! And what they're doing!"

"And where they are!"

"Does it work all the time?"

Tevin was getting anxious.  The twins' voices were getting louder and more excited with every single question.  What if someone else heard them? 

A new voice spoke over the new twins of Gryffindor as a dark wand came from behind their little group and tapped the paper.  "Mischief managed."  The group turned at the same time to see the stern expression on Professor Severus Snape's face.  He looked decidedly unhappy.

Tevin and Charlie couldn't bring themselves to utter a word in their defense for showing Fred and George the map.

But Fred and George certainly had something to say. "Wicked." 

Charlie had received detention that night, and Tevin had the map taken away for two days.  When his father returned it, it was with a firm warning never to show it to anyone else except him, Professor Flitwick, Remus, Ophelia, Judy Lewis, Xuxa Nisal, Nymphadora Tonks, and Charlie Weasley.  It was something Tevin was definitely in agreement with, and willing to do without argument.  

 


"Mister Weasley, Miss Tonks, remain behind a moment."  The Gryffindor and Hufflepuff were surprised by their Potions Master's request, and failed to hide that surprise from the man.  "You are not in trouble," he reassured them.  Instantly, their tension lessened. 

Severus decided it might be best to sit at his desk so that they knew he was relaxed.  It might make them less nervous.  "I have an unusual request for the both of you."

Charlie and Nymphadora exchanged a glance.  Obviously, his seated position did nothing to make them more comfortable.  In a way, Severus was pleased.  Some of their lessons were sticking.  "Would either of you be interested or available to assist me in something?"

Nymphadora was kind, but she was certainly not stupid enough to agree to something without knowing what that was first.  "I'm curious, but I'm not saying yes until I know what you're asking, professor."

Severus could not contain the tiny grin at the left side of his mouth.  "Very good, Miss Tonks."  He looked at the two of them closely before continuing.  "Since Ophelia's death, things have...It's been difficult at best to make sure that my son isn't..."  He sighed in frustration.  "He's on his own too much for his age."

Charlie, having been on the receiving end of this type of question before many times, realized what his professor was trying to ask.  "Do you need a babysitter, sir?"

Severus's eyes flicked to the Gryffindor.  "Exactly, Mister Weasley."

Charlie nodded.  "My parents ask me and Bill this all the time.  We've had to look after every one of our younger brothers...and Ginny, too, since I can practically remember."

Nymphadora shifted her weight nervously.  "I'm not as experienced as Charlie.  I don't have any other siblings."  She looked at Charlie and offered him a small smile.  "He's a better choice for this, sir."

Severus shook his head.  "I'd like the two of you.  Tevin is the most comfortable with you two, and I know you are both reliable and trustworthy."  He looked at them seriously.  "Otherwise I never would have chosen you for these lessons with Professor Flitwick and me." 

The two students nodded. 

Severus leaned forward, placing his weight on his elbows that he perched on his desk.  "Now, I will need to know your free periods.  That is if you are both willing to do this."

Nymphadora nodded but it was with a lack of confidence.  "I'll try my best, professor."

Charlie nodded with much more enthusiasm.  "It'd be just like babysitting my brother, Ron.  I think he's about the same age as Tevin."  Then, his eyes sparkled.  "Professor, may I write to my parents and ask if they would like to watch him if none of us could?  He'd probably get along well with Ron.  Ron's a wicked Quidditch fan, too."

Severus was not certain of this idea, but he did trust this young Gryffindor.  He realized that Tevin truly only had two friends.  Draco Malfoy and Luna Lovegood.  Would it be such a risk to introduce him to more children his own age?  He would meet Ron Weasley when they attended Hogwarts anyway.  Would meeting a little early do that much harm?  "Please do.  Have your mother or father reply to me directly." 

Charlie smiled, looking rather pleased with himself.  "Right, sir.  I'll get right on it.  Mum will be surprised."

Severus dismissed the two of them with a small shake of his head.  As they left the potions classroom, he heard Charlie Weasley excitedly talking to Nymphadora Tonks about how much fun Tevin could have at the Burrow.  He hoped that Mrs. Weasley agreed.  


 

Molly Weasley read the letter for the third time before handing it to her husband, Arthur.  "What do you think?"

Arthur looked it over quickly.  Unlike his wife, he only needed to briefly skim over the gist of the letter. "Someone to visit on occasion to play with Ron and Ginny?"  Arthur shoved a forkful of his dinner into his mouth.  "What do you two think?  Would you like to meet Tevin Snape?"

Ron Weasley was mindlessly stabbing his fork into his dinner, looking completely disinterested in the conversation. 

Ginny, on the other hand, brightened a little.  "How old is he?"

Molly looked at her only daughter with affection.  "He's Ronald's age.  They should be in the same year.  Wouldn't that be marvelous?"

"Sure, mum.  Marvelous," mumbled Ron. 

"I hope he's nice," thought Ginny aloud. 

"I'm sure he is," reassured Arthur to his youngest children.  "Well, I think it's a splendid idea."  He folded up Charlie's letter and put it next to his water glass. "Would you like to reply with a resounding yes, dear, or should I?"

By her lack of response, with the only exception being a smile, he knew her answer. 

To be continued...
End Notes:
And we’re off toward the finish line. Brace yourselves, everyone! Things move quickly in these last chapters. Leave a review on your way out. Be kind and keep flames to yourself. Thank you! ~ RK


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1892