The Dark, the Light, and the Grey by N_Forest
Summary: Bellatrix finds out that she cannot have children and rescues Harry Potter from his relatives. She asks Snape to help her hide herself and her son from the aurors searching for her. Harry grows up with a Death Eater family.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Bellatrix
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: None
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Baby fic, Child fic, Resorting
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11), 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Torture
Prompts: Mother Bella
Challenges: Mother Bella
Series: The Dark, the Light, and the Grey
Chapters: 40 Completed: Yes Word count: 92144 Read: 156220 Published: 10 Aug 2009 Updated: 21 Jul 2010
The Sorting by N_Forest

“Whoa. Calm down.” Harry grabbed Theodore's hand. “Draco didn't mean anything, you can relax.” He pushed the boy pack into his seat and fished a vial of calming draft out of his still open trunk. I am definitely glad that Severus made me take a few basic potions with me.

 

Theodore accepted the potion and once he'd drank it, the angry shaking stop coursing through his body and he sheathed his wand with a glare at Draco. “Don't talk about my father like that.” His voice was dead serious. “You're not the only one with extra training. And I 'm the one with a functioning core.”


“Huh?” Harry looked at Draco. “You hurt your core?”


Draco nodded. “Apparently I used some kind of parental love connection to call our parents to us. But the healers said that it drained me really badly. I was out for most of it.” He admitted. “And I can't manage much magic now. I'm not suppose to cast any spells other than the required ones until Yule.” He made a face.


“That sucks.” Padma touched him sympathetically. “I've got to go. Meeting some friends.” She smiled apologetically and the Patil twins slipped out of the compartment.


Harry took one of the empty seats. “Where do you think you're going to end up Draco? Slytherin?”


“Of course.” Draco nodded. “There isn't really a choice. I think I'll do well in Slytherin. Father and Uncle Severus seemed to have done quite well.”


Theodore glared at the blond. “If you consider serving a madman 'doing quite well' then there isn't anything else for them to strive for.” He placed his wand on his sheathed wand and pulled it out just the tiniest bit.


“Watch your mouth, that's my father you're talking about!” Harry yelled.


“Relax.” Kevin glared at all of them. “Some of use are trying to read.” He told them. “Please try to keep the volume low and the blood splashes limited.”


Theodore stood up and snapped his book shut before spelling it feather-light. “You're right. I'll never get anything done in here.” He turned to leave.


A voice cracked over the intercom. “Hogsmeade station is approximately five minutes away. Please leave your luggage on the train. It will be taken to the school separately.”


The boys exchanged excited looks, their differences temporarily buried. They put their books away and relocked their trunks.


“Let's go!” Draco pulled himself up and took a shaky step toward the door.


Harry peered into the corridor. “It's packed full of people. We can wait.”


It took fifteen minutes for the train to arrive and the corridors to clear enough that the five could get out. Harry and Kevin supported Draco and Michael walked behind to make sure that he didn't hit his head if he fell.


They stepped onto the platform in Hogsmeade. It was dark by now and the air was cool. For some reason it filled Harry with apprehension and excitement. He tried to shake it off, after all he was just going home. There wasn't anything special about that.


“First years, first years over here!” Hagrid waved his lantern. He towered above all the students so it wasn't that hard to pick him out of the crowd.


The first years were lead down a short path. Harry spotted the muggleborn girl and Neville Longbottom. They met up with Crabbe and Goyle and handed Draco off to them. The boys considerable bulk made it much easier for them to half carry them.


“No more than four to a boat!” Hagrid yelled as they reached the edge of the lake.


Harry, Kevin, and Michael ended up in one boat with a muggleborn girl.


“Hi Harry.” She said timidly.


“Everyone in then?” Hagrid called out. “Forward!” With a sickening lurch the boats began to move across the lake. Harry could see some floating tentacles in the centre, but there was no sign of the merpeople.


“Do you remember me?” The girl asked him again.


Harry studied her face hard. Something about it did seem familiar. “Turpin? Your Dad sometimes works with my aunt.”


She smiled. “Lisa Turpin.” They shook hands and she turned to the other two boys. “Are you friends of Harry's?”


'Theodore Nott.” Theodore shook hands with her quickly. “Nice to meet you.”


Kevin smiled at her and kissed the back of her hand. “Kevin Entwhistle. Don't you already have a sister here?” He asked, his knowledge in blood and families came in handy sometimes.


“Patricia. She's a sixth year in Ravenclaw.” Lisa said. “I want to be in Ravenclaw too.”


Theodore and Kevin exchanged looks. They both wanted to get into Ravenclaw and this girl seemed a little on the annoying side. Just from the tone of her voice and the way she held herself.


“Here we are. Everyone out!” Hagrid called as the boats scraped the bottom.


The firsties climbed out of the boats and looked around nervously. Hagrid had started up the path, but no one wanted to be the first person behind him.


“Come on. Professor McGonagall's waiting for you.” He told them.


Harry hurried after them. Minerva might be a lot of fun when she came to visit them, but she could be awfully strict and he defiantly didn't want her mad at him on his first night. Especially since he'd sprayed her with water that morning.


Hagrid raised one giant fist and knocked. It was only a single knock, but the sound rang out loud and clear due to his size and strength. The door was opened wide a few moments later.


“The first years, Professor McGonagall.” Hagrid told her. At her sharp nod he slipped past her and walked toward the Great Hall.


Professor McGonagall herded them into the castle and into a small chamber that Harry knew was just off the Great Hall. He was almost jumping up and down from the excitement.


“Who's that?” Draco appeared behind them again. His escorts were still holding him up. He pointed at a boy who'd ended up in front of Harry, Kevin, and Michael. Lisa had spotted Hermione Granger and the two were discussing the sorting process.


The boy had heard them. He turned back to face them and all the boys got a good look at him. He had red hair and his face was peppered with freckles. There was a smear of dirt on his nose and his old and fraying cloak was incorrectly fastened under his left ear.


“What do you want?” He asked angrily. “There's nothing to stare at!”


“Temper Weasley.” Draco told him with a smirk. At Weasley's astonished look he nodded importantly. “I know who you are. My father told me all about the Weasley's. Poor, red haired, and they have children like rabbits- not that they can afford them.”


Weasley's ears turned red and his hands balled into fists. “Yeah, well Malfoy!” He tried to nod imperiously like Draco had, but he couldn’t pull it off and jut made himself look like an idiot. “I know all about you. Who you serve. Your father's just biding his time. I don't even know why we bother with the sorting. It's obvious that you're just plain evil, a Slytherin for sure.”


Harry couldn’t help himself, he laughed. “Slytherin doesn't mean evil.”


Hermione had made her way over to them. “He's right. The qualities Salazar Slytherin prized were pureblood, cunning, and ambition. That least, that's what 'Hogwarts: A History' said.” She shruged and pasted them to speak with Neville.


“Mudblood!” Draco mouthed at Harry. But before Harry had a chance to respond, Professor McGonagall re-entered from the Great Hall.


“We are ready for you know. Please follow me.” With her robes sweeping imperiously she lead them out into the Great Hall. Every eye was on them as they walked up the centre of the Hall and stoped when the first few people reached the front.


A old, ratty looking hat sat on a stool in front of them. Harry smiled, he liked listening to the hat's songs. But the other firsties, especially the muggleborns were lost.


“Do you think we have to try and get a rabbit out of it?” He heard someone whisper.


But the hat didn't make them wait long. It's brim spread along the crease and opened wide enough for it to start the song.

 

“Hogwarts has four houses.

Four houses are at Hogwarts.

Hogwarts had four founders.

They built the school for us.

Fair Ravenclaw, kind Hufflepuff

Brave Gryffindor, Cunning Slytherin.

They took their students

only those they thought most worthy

Hufflepuff helped the downtrodden

Gryffindor taught his to fight

Ravenclaw used lots of bookwork

Slytherin kept their blood pure

But brave Gryffindor knew of their weakness

Their lives grew to a close

So he put some of his brains in me

To continue when he was gone.

So come up and put me on

Find out where you belong

I swear I make the clearest choice

Don't be afraid, you'll have fun!”


 

 

The hat closed its mouth and did a funny, little bow toward the school. The older students, staff, and a few of the first years clapped for him.


Professor McGonagall unrolled a long, parchment list. “When I call your name you will come up here and place the sorting hat on your head. Once it has decided on your house you will move to the appropriate table.” She pointed out which house table was which.


“Abbot, Hannah.” She called out. A dirty blond haired girl walked up and sat down on the stool. The hat settled down around her head.


A few moments later it called out, “HUFFLEPUFF!” Hannah removed the hat, put it back on the stool and made her way to the black and yellow table. The school crest on her robes had already changed to a Hufflepuff one.


“Black, Harry.” Minerva called. She didn't give any sign that she knew Harry and simply handed him the hat to drop over his head. But before his vision was hampered Harry saw his parents smile encouragingly at him.


I didn't think I was going to be up this soon. I guess more people's last names are after Black. Although I really am glad to get it over with.


You are aren't you. A strange voice spoke inside his head. No worries child, it is just I , the sorting hat.

  

I'd like to go in Slytherin. Harry thought as politely as possible.

 

No. Slytherin is not the place for you. You don't like everything being hidden. The fact of hiding your other identity hurts you.


I am Harry Black! Harry Potter is just a scar. And I'm not hiding anything1 I never was Harry Potter, I've been myself for as long as I can remember.


But the hat ignored him.  

Hufflepuff is no good either. You wouldn't go well. Gryffindor isn't a possibility. You would rather avoid confrontations.


Please no! Mother will kill me if I'm not in Slytherin!


Nonsense! Now who does the sorting, me or you? The hat didn't wait for his answer, it simply shouted its decision to the entire Great Hall.

 

 

 
The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1903