The Dark, the Light, and the Grey by N_Forest
Summary: Bellatrix finds out that she cannot have children and rescues Harry Potter from his relatives. She asks Snape to help her hide herself and her son from the aurors searching for her. Harry grows up with a Death Eater family.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Bellatrix
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: None
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Baby fic, Child fic, Resorting
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11), 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Torture
Prompts: Mother Bella
Challenges: Mother Bella
Series: The Dark, the Light, and the Grey
Chapters: 40 Completed: Yes Word count: 92144 Read: 156252 Published: 10 Aug 2009 Updated: 21 Jul 2010
Last Day of Classes by N_Forest

“As you can this defect shows up commonly in the Potter and Black lines. Harry probably gets it from Belvina Black, she was your great-grandmother.” Madame Pomfrey pointed out the problems in the two bloodlines and then showed them Harry's blood sample again.


Harry rubbed at his arm where the mediwitch had inserted the needle to take blood. Normally blood was drawn quickly and painlessly through magic. But since no one was sure why Harry had collapsed from a small lack of food and sleep she'd thought it best to use muggle methods so to not risk contaminating the sample.


Bellatrix was once again reminded of her hate for all things muggle. She and Poppy had trouble getting along at the best of times and then the woman had decided to stick a piece of metal into her son! It made Bellatrix nauseous just watching the process. She knew that it wouldn't hurt her. Long exposure to the Cruciatus curse had given her a very high pain tolerance. But Harry didn't have that benefit and from his eyes she could tell that the needle had obviously hurt him.


“Severus.” She hissed while the mediwitch droned on. He glanced at her. “Can't you give Harry something for his arm?” She motioned told the sore entry sight that Harry was rubbing to try and stimulate the blood to start flowing regularly again.


Severus didn't answer verbally. He wanted to know more about this defect, but he summoned a soothing salve and gently applied it to the mark on Harry's arm. The boy looked up at him with a grateful smile.


“He'll need to eat regular, well balanced meals.” Madame Pomfrey finished off her speech. “And Harry, if you ever find yourself feeling faint or weak between classes you need to have something with sugar in it. I would suggest fruit, apples maybe. And there is a potion you should take once a week.”


“May I see the formula?” Severus accepted the parchment from Madame Pomfrey and looked over it. “I will brew this.”


“Good.” She smiled at the three of them. “I'll need to see you again in about a month Harry, just to make sure your sugar levels are all right. You wouldn't want to develop diabetes.” She told him. “Make sure to take your potion and eat healthily.”


Harry nodded and happily followed his parents out of the Hospital wing. “Blood sugar?” He asked once they were out of hearing distance. “What is that?”


“Sugar in your blood. It needs to be at a certain level. If it falls too low, you'll pass out.” Bellatrix explained. “Now why don't you go back to Ravenclaw.” She sent him off with a smile and one last time reminded to eat properly, especially his vegetables.


Harry finished almost all of his homework that night. He also wrote his placement exam and had his tutoring discussion with Prefect Caprio. He would find out who his tutor was going to be on Monday at the latest.


When the bell rang for curfew, Kevin stood up. “What a long day! I think I'll turn in now.” He shot a quick look at the other four boys and they quickly agreed that it would be nice to turn in.


“Now? It's only 9 o'clock!” Harry exclaimed. He was feeling tired, after missing so much sleep the night before and from his two long, first days of school.


“Night.” Kevin yawned and headed up the stairs, the other boys following him. Harry stayed where he was, but a few minutes later he heard the showers turn on and the sounds of the boys discussing the coming classes.


He headed up the stairs, not knowing that Professor Flitwick had told the other first years that for the rest of the week they needed to turn in at curfew. He was usually very lax with his house and after seeing the relationship between Severus and his Slytherins he was starting to feel rather jealous. But Harry hadn't been there and he wasn't going to check if they were listening to him. He trusted his Ravenclaws.


Harry would have stayed in the common room, but he was out of books and homework. And it wasn't much fun to hang out in the common room by yourself. He headed to the dorm and took a quick, hot shower before packing his book bag and climbing into bed. With the curtains closed and darkness surrounding him, Harry felt very tired and he had no problems sleeping until morning.


A quarter to 9 o'clock the next morning had almost everyone excited. The first flying lesson of the year! Harry liked flying even though he didn't get to do it very often. His parents didn't approve of broomstick sports and refused to let him play on one of the teams at school.


“Is flying hard?” Stephen asked him as they bunched up on the grounds outside the Quidditch pitch. Lisa Turpin was talking very quickly with Padma about ways to not fall off your broomstick.


“It's simple. You'll do fine.” Harry told him. “Try reading 'Quidditch through the Ages'. It helped me learn a lot about flying.” He said, because when in doubt suggest books.


Stephen took a deep breath. “I'm so nervous!”


“Just relax.” Kevin told him. “If you're tense, you'll screw it up.” He smiled. “I fell off the first time I tried to fly.” His expression changed several times as he remembered previous flying experiences, not knowing that this one would be most interesting.


Finally the bell rang and a woman with short, greying hair and golden, hawk-like eyes walked out between the groups of Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs. She clapped her hands together and the leather gloves made the nose much louder than usual.


“Everyone find a broom and stand next to it. Put your arm over it and say 'up'!” She instructed them, as she walked about and helped everyone find a broom.


Harry and Kevin's brooms both jumped straight into their hands. But they were ones of the few that did. Most of the brooms didn't even move.


Madame Hooch sighed. “Let's try it again. Call the broom to your hand. You have to want it!” She strode up and down the rows and stopped once everyone had a broom and picked up her own. “This is how you mount and lift off.”


Harry mounted the broom easily and waited for the command to lift off. It was easy enough to take the short flight she had them do. The class was boring, but at the end they had a game of pick-up Quidditch. Harry played seeker and his team won.


“Good work today, Mr Entwhistle.” Madame Hooch said as they landed. “And Mr Black have you thought about trying out for your house team? You've got the skills to do it. A little rough, but quite good. I seem to remember Regulas being a passable chaser.”


Harry nodded weakly. “Thank you Madame, but I'm not allowed to play Quidditch. My parents think that's too dangerous.”


Hooch looked surprised before a light of mischief settled in her eyes. “I'd be happy to give you a hand at polishing up your skills. And next year I'll talk to your parents if you want to try out.”


“That would be great!” Harry said, more enthusiastic. Quidditch was fun and it gave him time to relax and simply worry about the snitch. Quidditch was simple fun. “How will you get my parents to let me play? They said no.”


Hooch smiled playfully. “I'll just remind your father of how angry his mother was when he tried out for Quidditch.” She told him, not realizing she was telling him something he'd never known about his father.


“My dad played Quidditch?” Harry was incredulous. It was easy to imagine a younger Severus in the library or in a potions lab. But he'd never imagined his father in Slytherin Quidditch robes playing in the Quidditch championship.


“Beater for the reserve team.” Hooch said. “Now you better get to your next class.” She sent the students off with a wave, no homework was assigned this class.


The Ravenclaws now had a free period. Then they had lunch and another free period after lunch. It was an afternoon to relax. Until Astronomy, but that was the last class of the afternoon and it was still hours away.


“Let's go see if Draco has a spare.” Harry was the first one back to the castle. He took a quick shower to rinse off the sweat he'd build up while flying and he put on a clean uniform. Kevin wore casual robes and Stephen had on muggle clothing! Harry glared at them.


“We still have to wear our uniforms when we leave the tower. You can't just walk around like that.” He motioned to Stephen's jeans and shirt. “We're not muggles.” Harry tried hard to keep the scorn out of his voice.


Kevin took off his casual robes and pulled on uniform ones. “Let's just go.” They followed Harry from the tower.


Harry took a long look at Stephen before continuing to the dungeon. As long as he didn't say anything t give himself away as a mudblood there shouldn't be a problem. Harry could make Draco be civil, especially in his weakened state.


They stopped outside the Slytherin common room, Harry knew where it was from his parents. But he didn't know the password since it was against the rules for anyone other than a house member to know the password.


“What's this?” Stephen looked at the blank wall. “Are we suppose to see something?”


Then the wall slid open. But it wasn't Draco that stood in the opening. Harry looked up fearfully at the giant boy, he must have been a seventh year.


“Can I help you firsties with something? Raven tower isn't in the dungeons.” He said, smirking nastily at them.


Harry gulped and stood as straight as he could. “I'm looking for Draco Malfoy. Is he in here?” He asked the intimidating figure.


The boy snorted and turned back into the common room. “Malfoy, you've got guests.” He called.


An instant later a pale Draco stood next to him. He smiled weakly at Harry. “Hi.” He mouthed.


“In the future meet your friends somewhere else.” The seventh year said before stepping back into the common room and closing the door.


“Draco.” Harry looked over him carefully. “Are you okay? Do you need another potion?” He asked worriedly. Draco looked very pale and he was shaking slightly.


Draco shook his head. “I can't have more than one energizing potion a day. Uncle Severus excused me from Astronomy any ways. I'm just suppose to rest for the rest of the day.” He made a face. “I'm not even that tired.”


“Let's go to the library.” Stephen said, interrupting them. “We can finish the rest of our homework.”


Kevin shrugged. “Fine with me. Just remember to pay attention to the bells so don't miss lunch.”


The four boys read until lunch. Harry finished his Transfiguration essay and left the library slightly after his friends. A nasty glare from his father in the Great Hall reminded him not to miss any more meals. He didn't want another punishment essay.


After lunch Harry stopped off at Ravenclaw tower to get his Astronomy book. But he found the book his mother had given him on the first layer of things in his trunk. There was still another free period before Astronomy so he climbed onto his bed and pulled the curtains around himself and his secret lessons book.


It was interesting. But Harry couldn't help wondering why he was allowed to read it. It reminded him of the 'Human Magic' book that they'd told him not to read. He knew that at least a few of the spells discussed in it were illegal. And one of the chapters covered Unforgivable curses. Why would I be allowed this book? I'll have to ask mother once she gives me a lesson.

 

The rest of the afternoon flew by. Astronomy was easy. Professor Sinistra had been a Slytherin and she was going over the planets and constellations. It was review for all of the wizarding raised children. The first few weeks were just to get the muggleborns up to speed.


Sinistra gave them a large essay, but they only had her class once a week and it was a simple assignment. But still the Gryffindors groaned and complained.


That was what Harry didn't like about Astronomy. All four houses took it together at the top of the Astronomy tower. It was cold and packed full. Not to mention that Sinistra was always half asleep since she stayed up all night. Her lecture was full of yawns and pauses when she took large gulps of coffee from her enormous thermos.


But finally classes were over. Dinner couldn't pass by fast enough. Harry couldn't wait for his lessons to start. The mystery was really starting to get to him. He raced through his meal, even his father's glare only made him slow down for a few minutes.


“What's the rush?” Kevin asked as he leisurely scooped more mashed potatoes onto his plate. “It's Friday night! We've got two days without classes!”


Harry nodded. “I'm staying with my parents tonight, and probably for all of tomorrow.” He said, his face shining with excitement.


Kevin visibly deflated. “Oh. Well I guess I'll see you on Sunday.” He turned his attention back to his plate and left Su and Stephen engage him in a conversation about Azkaban. The Dementors horrified Stephen and couldn't imagine it being legal, let alone used for even the most petty criminals.


Harry raced back to the dormitory and backed his homework before heading down to the dungeons.

 

 

 


 

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1903