The Dark, the Light, and the Grey by N_Forest
Summary: Bellatrix finds out that she cannot have children and rescues Harry Potter from his relatives. She asks Snape to help her hide herself and her son from the aurors searching for her. Harry grows up with a Death Eater family.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Bellatrix
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: None
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Baby fic, Child fic, Resorting
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11), 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Torture
Prompts: Mother Bella
Challenges: Mother Bella
Series: The Dark, the Light, and the Grey
Chapters: 40 Completed: Yes Word count: 92144 Read: 156236 Published: 10 Aug 2009 Updated: 21 Jul 2010
Undercover by N_Forest

Kevin looked at his arm and dropped his wand before turning to his friends with a horrified look. “I'm sorry. I didn't mean to! Please!” He babbled on and on until some of the older students wandered over. The noise was starting to annoy them.


“Is there a problem?” Prefect Caprio asked. His robes were splattered with ink and he hadn't even bothered to put down his quill before coming over. A large ink spot made it look like he had a black eye.


“I didn't mean to!” Kevin said, his voice very high in his terror.


Patricia gave over too. “Do we need to get Professor Flitwick?” She asked, glancing worriedly at her sister who was sitting in the middle of the group.


Padma nodded. “Hurry!” She fell backwards over her chair in her haste to get away from Kevin.


No one seemed to move for the longest time. Kevin stood babbling apologies in the middle of all the other first years with a few of the older students coming to see what the matter was.


Finally Patricia raced back in with Professor Flitwick floating along behind her. He was much faster that way and set himself down next to Prefect Caprio.


“Mr Caprio, what's the problem?” He asked in his high, squeaky voice.


“He's an messed up freak!” Padma exclaimed, pointing at Kevin. “He . . .”


Professor Flitwick frowned and interrupted her. “Miss Patil! I'm sure we can figure this all out.” He turned to Kevin. “What have you done that you need to apologize for Mr Entwhistle?” He asked over Kevin's babbled apologies.


“I, sir- Please!” Kevin was becoming hysterical. “I didn't mean to! Please don't expel me! I'll never do it again, please Sir!” He wasn't able to calm down and explain what was so wrong.


“Walters.” Flitwick motioned over the Head Girl. “Go get Professor Snape. Tell him to bring his potions kit.”


“What about Madame Pomfrey?” Prefect Caprio asked. “Do we need her?”


Harry shook his head even though he knew it wasn't his place to butt in. “She's not here this weekend. She went to a seminar in Asia. She'll be back on Monday.” Caprio didn't say anything, but he gave Harry a grateful look.


“What happened?” Snape looked very worried. He'd forgotten that Poppy had left for the weekend and he thought that Harry might be injured.


Flitwick motioned to Kevin. “Mr Entwhistle believes he's committed an expellable offence. But since he can't calm down and no one wants to talk about I don't know what it is.”


Snape raised an eyebrow. He hated being called to solve other teachers problems. It wasn't as if he didn't have enough of his own. “Why don't you clear the common room? Then there will be more space to work.” Not to mention that all of these students will back off.

 

Filius nodded, glad that someone was taking over. “Everyone out. Go to your dormitories!” The common room moved quickly. Harry headed over to the stairs following Stephen and Lisa. “First years stay here! Anyone that saw the incident.”


By the time that Flitwick that enlarged one of the table so that everyone could sit at it, Professor Snape had given Kevin a calming draft and he was slumped in his own chair on one end of the table.


“Now Mr Entwhistle, what did you do wrong?” Professor Flitwick asked, although he doubted the boy could have commited some that he could be expelled for.


Kevin shuddered. “I used my hand to hold my wand.”


Professor Flitwick leaned forward. “There's nothing wrong with not Mr Entwhistle. Everyone holds their wand with a hand. That's how you hold a wand.” He was puzzled. Why would he think that he would be expelled for holding a wand?

 

 

“I used my true hand Sir.” Kevin said softly. He placed his left hand on the table. “I'm sorry Sir. Please don't cut it off!”


Flitwick and Snape exchanged looks of understanding. But only old pureblood houses still followed the beliefs about true hands.


It's all right Mr Entwhistle. At Hogwarts you may use which ever hand you wish.” Professor Snape told him. “You should use your true hand. It will help you work better, and you will not be punished for it.” He assured the boy.


Kevin shrugged. “I'm not allowed. Mother said she would cut it off if I used my true hand at school.” He looked anxiously at the two teachers. “I like my hand! I want to keep it!” He encircled his wrist with his other hand and clutched it to his chest.


Flitwick whispered to Severus quickly. They made their decision and turned back to the first years.


“Come with me, Mr Entwhistle.” Flitwick took his student's elbow and led him out of Ravenclaw. Quiet descended on the common room before the first years realized that Professor Snape was still there.


He looked over them. “It does not matter what hand you use to hold your hand or quill.” He glared at Padma. “Detention Miss Patil. Monday night at 7:00 o'clock in my classroom.”


Padma didn't argue. Arguing with Snape just got you more detention and detention with Snape wasn't fun.


Snape turned to leave, only pausing to give Harry a quick look to wish him good night and strengthen his shields. He wasn't sure, but for some reason he was starting to feel another Master Legilimens in the school.


“I'm going to bed.” Harry looked at the other Ravenclaws. He wasn't against left handed people, but he knew lots of people that were. Uncle Lucius was especially hateful, he called them unnatural freaks and tried to make it required that they all register at the Ministry.


The first years trooped upstairs to bed and fell asleep quickly. They were still tired from their long week of school. They'd stay up later as the year progressed.


Sunday passed quickly and before anyone was ready they were back in classes. Breakfast was eaten quickly so that people could put the finishing touches on their assignments. Kevin still hadn't returned and no one had heard anything from him.


First period Transfiguration was easy. Harry handed in his paper and yawned as they practised transforming matches into needles again. But this time he knew better than to show off and kept to himself. Kevin wasn't in the seat next to him so he spent so time paging through his textbook and reading ahead. He hoped the class would hurry and catch up to where he was at.


Break passed quickly as did Charms. They listened to another lecture on safety precautions and were given a large homework essay. Very boring.


Harry raced through lunch. His next lesson with his father was that night and the time just couldn't pass quickly enough. He bounced in his seat and glanced around for Kevin, but the boy was still missing and no one knew what happened to him. Harry was sort of worried that they had cut off his hand.


Defence Against the Dark Arts started the same way it had the week before. Quirrel wasn't in the room when the bell rang and the students sat down to wait.


“Do you think he'll ever show up on time?” Su asked Harry while she doodled on a spare piece of parchment.


Harry shrugged. “I just hope that Kevin comes back soon. I have to sit alone in every class now.” He complained. “Who really cares about Quirrel any way? The less of this class, the better.”


But footsteps coming down the hall prevented Su from answering. Professor Quirrel entered the class, hie turban was loosely fastened and he looked exhausted. As he stepped into the classroom, he tripped over the threshold and his turban caught on a nail that hadn't been there on Wednesday.


There was a tremendous ripping sound and Quirrel fell forward while his turban stayed back on the hook. The entire class lined forward as one to look and see what it was that he hide so carefully under his turban. It wasn't what they were expecting.


Most of the class screamed at the sight of a second face on the back of Quirrel's head.


“What is that?” Su asked once she'd managed to start screaming.


Harry was too terrified to answer. There were many strange things in the Wizarding world, but even here people aren't suppose to have two faces. And sharing a body is Dark Magic. He could remember a scandal a few years ago that they had studied in school. It was about possession. He hoped that wasn't what was happening here.


“Get out!” Harry shouted. “He's possesed!” He was certain that Quirrel was possesed, but it made everyone move faster toward the door.


But Quirrel was lying in front of the door. And he wasn't lying any more. He pulled himself to his feet and took out his wand with a grace and confidence his movements had lacked before. He held himself like a dueller and shut the door with a sharp jerk of his wand.


“Stay where you are.” A terrifying sounding voice came from the back of Quirrel's head. He moved his wand again and different coloured lights settled over the door and walls of the room. Harry recognized the silencing charm and a monitoring charm, but the rest he was clueless as to what they did.


Susan Bones collapsed to the floor. “I don't want to die!” She wailed. “I'm only eleven!” Tears streamed down her face.


Harry watched as her best friend Hannah sized her arm and dragged her into the corner with the rest of the scared first years. “Move!” He bellowed. “He can get us all if we stay still in the same place!” He took out his wand and started firing curses while he tried to get to another corner.


But once Harry stepped closer to Quirrel he felt a searing pain shoot through his forehead and he crumpled on the ground. “Why? Who are you?” He managed to gasp out before stopping to try to calm down and breathe through the pain.


“Let me face them.” The voice came from the back of Quirrel's head. “I must see the ones I kill to cleanse the world of this disease.”


Quirrel shuddered. “Master, you are not strong enough.” He protested. But a moment later he flinched in pain and turned to let the face see the first years.


“Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws. I'd be surprised if there's a single pureblood among the lot of you.” He sneered. His face was horrible and pale with glowing red eyes and a flat, snake-like nose. Get me one Quirrel.”


The wand moved, but it was the face controlling the body and picking the first year. Terry Boot almost passed out when the spell lifted him painfully off his feet and into the air. “What is your name boy? And remember, Lord Voldemort knows if you're lying.” He hissed angrily.


Frightened noises came from the first years when he spoke his name. Su dragged Harry back into the thick of people and knelt down next to him. “Are you all right?” She asked quietly.


Harry nodded, still clutching at where his scar used to be. His hand was wet and he discovered blood when he pulled his hand away. “Just give me a chance.” Su nodded and stood back up.


The Dark Lord dropped Terry on the ground. He was a pureblood and his parents hadn't really done anything in the last war. But his Great-Uncle had contributed large amounts of money to the Dark Lord's cause.


The next first year the Dark Lord took was Megan Jones. She squirmed and fought against the spell, but he tightened it and she clutched uselessly at her throat, gasping for air.


“Do not fight Lord Voldemort stupid kid.” The Dark Lord snapped. “What's your name, your blood?” He asked, but his tone was nasty and sent shivers down Harry's spine as he struggled to get to his feet and stop her from being hurt.


Megan gasped as the spell was released and she could breathe. She breathed quickly, her chest heaving as colour returned to her face. “Megan Jones. I'm type AB +.” She told him, not wanting to tell him her blood status.


“Idiot!” The air was cut off again and she started to claw at her throat, her nails making lines of blood appear in the scratches. “What is your blood status?” He asked, his voice nasty.


“Muggleborn.” Megan said, her eyes filling with fresh tears.


“Crucio” The Dark Lord cried and Megan screamed as she dangled in pain from the end of his wand.

 

 

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1903