The Dark, the Light, and the Grey by N_Forest
Summary: Bellatrix finds out that she cannot have children and rescues Harry Potter from his relatives. She asks Snape to help her hide herself and her son from the aurors searching for her. Harry grows up with a Death Eater family.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Bellatrix
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: None
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Baby fic, Child fic, Resorting
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11), 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Torture
Prompts: Mother Bella
Challenges: Mother Bella
Series: The Dark, the Light, and the Grey
Chapters: 40 Completed: Yes Word count: 92144 Read: 156240 Published: 10 Aug 2009 Updated: 21 Jul 2010
A Multitude of Dumbledores by N_Forest
Harry woke up breathing quickly. Images of Ron Weasley bleeding filled his head and he wanted to get out, need to get out. He glanced around quickly. The Hospital Wing. I still can't believe it actually happened. I don't want to be bad and hurt others. I'm no better than Quirrel!


Harry couldn't believe what he had done. After all, he gotten in a horrible argument with his mum because he wouldn't place a mind control spell on a rodent and he'd very nearly killed another human. It was horrible. I almost want to be expelled. Cleaned of the mistake I've made. But I'd really prefer to stay in school. Have him recover, even if he is a Weasley.


Ron Weasley lay in the bed across from Harry and he was breathing, slowly but steadily. There was an IV hooked up to his hand and a bag of blood was slowly being added to his body. But Harry didn't notice any of this. He was too busy pulling on his clothes and shoes. Someone had cleaned them and placed them on his end table.


Before slipping out of the Hospital Wing, Harry stopped in front of the youngest male Weasley's bed. He took out his wand and pointed it at the boy, before murmuring the counter curse. The curse had already been slowed, but it could only be stopped by the one who cast it. Harry was very relieved to see the blood flowing out of Weasley slow and then cease entirely.


Harry put his wand back into the pocket of his robe and left the Hospital wing as quickly as he could. He ran through the halls, not worrying about being caught. His father was getting ready for the new baby and Filch couldn't be everywhere at once.


It didn't take Harry long to get to the front doors running at full speed. He wanted out of the problems that seemed to be piling up. Especially Ron Weasley. His only concern was who'd found the two of them. It had to have been soon after the fight since Ron was still alive.


The doors opened wide in front of Harry and he ran out onto the grounds. Once he was under the moon and stars and open sky, his mind began to clear and his body relaxed. It was only then that his mental capacities began to return and he thought about his choices and the fact that the spell had made him faint and that he'd woken up in the Hospital wing.


A lone wolf cry came from the forest, Harry turned towards it, checking the sky. But the moon was at its crescent stage, it was a real wolf. It wasn't time for werewolves yet. He'd known about werewolves for ages. Father had assigned him an essay on werewolves every year for as long as he could remember.


Harry sat down on the stone steps leading up to Hogwarts and took a few deep breaths. Calming himself, using meditation like his father had taught him years ago. Mum and Dad have taught me so much. I take so much knowledge for granted.


Harry walked back inside the school, unsure if he was going to head to his family's quarters, Ravenclaw tower, or the Hospital wing. He stopped in the main stairwell, needing to make his decision soon. Harry's gaze jumped from staircase to staircase as his mind jumped from idea to idea and rejected most of them.


Voices coming from high above disrupted Harry's concentration and he looked up nervously. The last thing he wanted to add to his problems was a detention and run in with Filch. He'd probably be in detention for life for cursing Ron Weasley, if he wasn't expelled.


But as the speakers moved to the edge of the landing they were on, Harry could get a good look at them. He saw Dumbledore's long, silvery hair and relaxed. The Headmaster wasn't his most favourite man in the world, but Harry could make up a story and escape punishment. Especially now that Dumbledore knew he was Harry Potter, he didn't seem to know how to react to him. Harry didn't see any difference. He was still the same boy he'd always been. Just a little older.


Harry looked at the speakers, there seemed to be something off. But he wasn't sure what it was. A quick spell created a telescope like bubble of air that he could look through. Of all the things he was expecting, this was not one of them.


The Headmaster was up there, that part was real. And the two others he was talking to, they were also Albus Dumbledore. Harry recognized the robes they were wearing, the beards and the twinkle in their blue eyes. But there was only supposed to be one Dumbledore. Not three.


One part of his mind told Harry to run. Another said stay and gather information. And the tiniest part of him wanted to rush up there and demand to know what was going on. His logic smushed that idea quickly enough.


Harry crouched down in the shadows of the largest staircase. In his black robe it would take good vision plus being on the lookout for someone to find him. He was securely and safely hidden away from the multitude of Dumbledores who'd begun to make their way downwards toward the main floor.


“People are already becoming suspicious. This cannot go on!” The Dumbledore in purple and green robes declared, waving his hands wildly. “It'll be discovered.”


The Dumbledore standing next to him, one in crimson robes, shook his head. “It isn't your place to question. Do as your told and nothing will come up. We'll take care of any problems that might arise.” He smiled a rather manipulative smile for Dumbledore. “Didn't we already have this discussion?”


A third Dumbledore, wearing neon orange robes spoke up. “Severus is already suspicious. Very suspicious. And if he's onto it then we've got to watch LeStrange, their son, and all the Slytherins. Snape's a danger to us.”


The crimson Dumbledore waved a finger under the other's nose. “I told you, it will all be taken care of. If anyone's suspicious it is because of your bad jobs. Work a little harder or who knows what will happen.” He shrugged and managed to look sinister at the same time. It didn't make Harry feel any more trusting of the Headmaster.


“Well gentlemen, it has been an interesting night. We'll have to continue this some other time.” The Dumbledore in crimson robes said with a quick bow before turning towards the stairs to go back up.


Harry waited until all three of them had their backs turned. This is it. My moment. He trained his wand on the Dumbledore farthest away and hoped that he wasn't making a horrible mistake. “ Ad alta.” He whispered, watching the jet of light shoot out of his wand.


The other two Dumbledores turned and began to walk back quickly, running when they saw the third begin to rise. Harry gritted his teeth and concentrated as hard as he could, pushing the elderly wizard slowly toward the ceiling. His power levels weren't high enough to make the spell work at top efficiency and he was already tired from cursing Ron Weasley earlier that day.


Harry gave his magic another push before realizing that the light was coming from his wand and ending at the floating Dumbledore. It gave a perfect path for someone to follow if they wanted to catch him. Harry ended the spell and shoved his wand into his pocket, ducking under the stairs and curling into a tiny ball hoping to avoid detection.


Once the spell ended the two Dumbledores pulled out their own wands and carefully lowered the third Dumbledore to the floor so he wasn't hurt. Then they began to look around the room, with wands and physically.


Finally just as one of them started getting close to Harry's hiding place they all began to shudder and shake.


“Time to go. Meet again tomorrow night. Same time.” The crimson robed one called out as they all fled the hall, running as if the Devil was nipping at their heels.


Harry wasted no time getting back to the Hospital wing. He was more likely to be taken seriously if the adults didn't blame him for hurting Ron Weasley and running away from the situation. Harry didn't want anyone to find out what had happened. The school and his father would punish him and his mum would be happy. That was usually what happened whenever he used magic that he wasn't suppose to use.


After changing back in pyjamas and snuggling into the covers in the Hospital wing, Harry closed his eyes and relaxed. There was nothing he could do until morning and being apprehensive and anxious didn't do anything.


Harry woke as the first light begin to slip in through the cracks in the curtains. He opened his eyes and listened to the footsteps entering the ward. They stopped across from him and he heard the sounds of someone moving things around and then shuffling back to the office at the end of the ward. As soon as the door closed he sat up.


Ron Weasley was still sleeping and the IV in his arm was still driping blood back into his body. Harry bit his lip. He'd been hoping that after a few blood replenishing potions Ron would be fine and he'd escape being in any major trouble. And with the counter curse the boy should have been cured nearly instantly. But there was the factor of time, Ron had been under the curse for quite awhile and it would take him more than a few hours to recover. For even though the bleeding had stopped he had quite a bit of blood loss to make up for.


Harry climbed out of bed and moved to sit on the bed next to the boy he'd injured. I wish I'd thought about what was going to happen. How many times am I going to use spells before realizing the consequences? I need to start paying attention. He thought, angry once again about his lack of self control. It's my fault I haven't got any friends. I'm a nasty jerk and I insult my friends and expect them to get over it. This has got to stop.


“Mister Potter!” Madame Pomfrey called as she came out of her office. “What are you doing up already?” She bustled over and looked down at him sternly.


Harry shruged. “Sorry Madame. Can I leave now? I feel fine.” He added when she looked as if she was going to refuse.


Madame Pomfrey took her wand out and ran it up and down his body, concentrating on his centre, the area around his magical core. “Still rather weak.” She murmured to herself. “I keep telling those parents and they always shrug it off. But. . .” Her voice grew more quiet and Harry couldn't hear it any more.


“Can I leave now?” Harry asked when the mediwitch had finally stopped scanning.


Madame Pomfrey summoned a potion from her office and handed it to him. “Magic replenisher. You'll need to take one of these every morning for the next two weeks. It'll appear next to your plate at breakfast. After two weeks, come back for a check-up. And make sure you come back! Don't just have your father look at it.” She told him sternly, watching as he swallowed the bitter draft.


Harry got dressed and cleaned his face before heading back to the ward. He stopped by Ron Weasley's bed and watched as the blood slowly flowed into his body. He still wanted to know who'd found the two of them and how they'd done so so quickly.


“Ah, Mister Black.” Professor McGonagall stepped up from behind him and put a hand on his shoulder. “Just the boy I was looking for.”


Harry suppressed a nervous shudder. She was the deputy Headmistress and Weasley's Head of House. She was also a friend of his and he'd squirted water in her face that summer. Growing up he'd played with her in her cat form. He didn't know what to expect from her. “Professor.”


“Madame Pomfrey tells me that Weasley is recovering. He should be waking up today and returning to classes by Tuesday at the latest.” She gave Harry her sternest look. “You're very lucky he wasn't killed. Now come with me please.”


Harry followed Minerva through the halls until they reached her office. She spelled the door open and pointed at one of the chairs on the opposite side of the desk that she'd sat down on. The chairs were straight backed and rather hard, uncomfortable wood. But Harry was use to it. These were the only chairs that she could conjure.


“Harry, I want you to understand the severity of your actions. Using spells like the Sanguine curse only leads to more rumours of your family being Dark Wizards.” When Harry opened his mouth to protest she raised a hand to stop him. “I know it's not true. But is that not what people think?”


Harry nodded, thinking of the insults Ron and the other Gryffindors had thrown at him. “But it's not fair professor! I haven't done anything!”


McGonagall raised an eyebrow and pulled a file from her desk. “You call this nothing?” She removed the record and read it out to him. “Used dangerous curse on fellow student. Use of the word mudblood. Child of deceased Death Eater and Death Eater spy. Excels in Potions and Defence Against the Dark Arts. It also says that there are rumours that you read books on Unforgivable and dark curses. Does this sound like a student you would want to have in your school?”


Harry shook his head. “It's not all my fault! I try hard, it just. . .slips out sometimes.”


“The word mudblood?” McGonagall asked him seriously. “Things like that might happen once, maybe even twice. But four or five times? Not likely.”


“Why are you even talking about this to me? Did my father put you up to it?” Harry asked, groaning mentally. He'd been hoping to escape a lecture until Monday. And he was guessing that his Da wouldn't be in a lecturing mood a few days after the event had occurred. It wouldn't be relevant any more.


McGonagall put the record back in the file and she put the file back in the appropriate cabinet. “Harry, I don't want you to have problems later. I know that there are unresolved differences between your family and Dumbledore. You can tell me whatever you want. I'll pass it on to the Headmaster if I can't take care of it myself.”


Harry considered her words for all of thirty seconds. He didn't think that anyone was likely to believe that he'd snuck out of the Hospital wing and seen three Dumbledores meeting. They were more likely to write it off as a dream or side effects of using too much magic.


“Is there anything you want to tell me?” Professor McGonagall asked him.


“No Professor. Nothing at all.” Harry stood up. “May I leave now?”


McGonagall nodded. “Yes. And Black, you've earned yourself detention for a week with me. Seven o'clock in the transfiguration classroom. Don't be late.” She waved a hand at the door, letting Harry know that he could leave.


The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1903