Post-War Potions by CastorandPollux
Summary: This is a response to the "Wheelchair" challenge issued by RonyaThiefheart. "After the Final Battle, Severus (still teaching) is paraplegic and needs a wheelchair and a caretaker."
Categories: Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Physical Impairment
Takes Place: 8 - Post Hogwarts (young adult Harry), 8 - Pre Epilogue (adult Harry)
Warnings: None
Prompts: Wheelchair
Challenges: Wheelchair
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 3867 Read: 16846 Published: 18 Aug 2009 Updated: 09 Sep 2009
Visitations by CastorandPollux
Author's Notes:
Snape is bombarded by visitors and memories of his 'death'.

This is absolute torture... Snape thought grimly. Makes me almost wish I had died. The people at the door consisted of no fewer than ten Hogwarts teachers, seventeen reporters, eight Ministry workers from various departments, all of the remaining Order members, as well as what must have been the entire Hogwarts student population, with a surprising number from Gryffindor. 

Of course, this might have been less torturous and even somewhat amusing if he had been able to make a few snide remarks or snarky comments. The Numbing Charm, however, was still perfectly active, allowing him only to generously doll out his infamous sneers and death glares. 

For the most part, his visitations were nothing more than people coming to see if he was truly alive, a few congratulatory pats on the shoulder, or even (much to his chagrin) several get-well cards. Naturally, the reporters wanted a story, but decided to come back to him once he could speak, and turned to question and badger ever other living person instead. 

It was the students that infuriated him.  

Snape was able to quell most of their questions with a simple glare, but some of them had the audacity to cry and...(he paused to shudder)...hug him! Regretfully, his condition was a double-edged blade. While he was still too weak to do much with his, admirers, e the Medi-Witch managed to promptly send them away, once she thought he had suffered enough. 

I’m not sure if I should hex the woman, of give her my unwavering gratitude. 

Just as he was sure that his not-entirely-unwarranted punishment was about to end, he had to step in. Potter. Heaven forbid if that boy thinks this will change anything. Much to his surprise, the Potter boy gave him a copy of The Quibbler before taking a seat. 

“I figured you’d be bored out of your mind and would need something to read, sir. I figured a potions book would be a bad idea.” Snape’s only reply was to give him a look that stated: If I were still teaching, that would be ten points for cheek, before turning his attention towards the paper. 

“Ding! Dong! The Dark Lord is Dead!:Exclusive Coverage on The Battle of Hogwarts and the Ministry Reformations!by Luna Lovegood 

If that girl is anything like I last remember, this is bound to be nothing but rubbish. Much to Snape’s (and really everybody else’s surprise) Luna’s article proved to be most truthful and direct, even painfully so at times. Snape couldn’t help but notice that Potter had agreed to give an interview later on that very day. 

Is this why you are here, Potter? To give me a “heads-up” before you flaunt all of my memories and secrets?’ The young wizard frowned when he read the accusation. 

“No, Professor. I never intended to tell anyone. Not even Ron and Hermione,” Who are you and what have you done with Potter? “I just came to say, well...thank you sir. And ... sorry I was such a git to you before.” The boy looked at him with those damnable green eyes. Lily’s eyes... 

‘You are forgiven, Potter.’ 

-Flashback- 

He didn’t even have time to react! The snake was upon him before he could raise his wand, sinking her fangs into his neck. He could feel his muscles give way to the serpent’s strength, the swell of adrenalin and fear replaced with a panicked lethargy. 

And then it was gone. Snape couldn’t even remember falling or hitting the floor, but there he was, staring up at the ceiling, at a face, at...green eyes? 

Lily? No, fool it’s Potter. Quick! Give it to him! Give it all! He needs to know... 

“Take.....it.....” Oh Lily I’m sorry I’ll be there soon. “Take....it....” Silver danced in his vision, then it was gone, the boy held it in his hand. Funny, he had his mother’s hands, why didn’t I notice it before? It’s getting darker.... 

I’m going to die. 

That thought sent a jolt of energy through his system. With strength from he knew not where, Snape grabbed to boy, the Potter boy... 

...Lily’s boy.... 

“Look....at me....” Oh God her eyes were there. Can you see me Lily? See how I tried to make it better? After all I’ve done, can I go now? I’m so tired, Lily, can I come home? 

There was a pop, a dreadful pull, and the eyes were gone. The whole world that was screaming and panicking and shouting was gone. Cold and freezing and good God he’d be shivering if he wasn’t so tired. All gone.  Except.... 

Except for one voice. 

‘Thank you Sev.’ 

A whiff of cedar and rain....a flash of gleaming orange hair.... 

It wasn’t so cold anymore. 

-End Flashback- 

Those words, had he only imagined them? Wishful thinking coupled with severe blood-loss could explain it, but... 

...Only she had called him ‘Sev’... 

Perhaps there is more of his mother in him than I gave him credit for, he thought, seeing the boy leave, looking a bit more pleased than when he had arrived. 

It is I who should thank you, Lily.

To be continued...
End Notes:
This chapter was surprisingly hard to write, especially the Potter and Snape interactions. Glad that's done!

Thanks to all who have bothered to review and favourite!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1908