The name is Potter Black! by PadyandMoony
Summary: Harry lived with the Dursleys for six months then little over a year with his godfather when Sirius gets an invitation from Dumbledore to take over Professor Binns' classes.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Misc > Keepers of the Snitch Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Romance/Het, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: The name is Potter Black!
Chapters: 45 Completed: Yes Word count: 155059 Read: 167709 Published: 21 Aug 2009 Updated: 22 Aug 2009
I hear voices by PadyandMoony

Chapter 12-  I hear voices

“AAAAAAATTTTCCCHHHHHHOOOOOOO!”

“Want some more?” he shoved the smoking goblet under his friend’s nose. His friend glared at him, though the smoke coming from his ears dampened the effect of the glare.

Sirius was seated at the couch all bundled up in a woolen blanket with tons of discarded tissue paper in a bin next to him. Remus, who was standing in front of him deposited the goblet filled with Pepperup Potion on the side table next to the couch and went to sit on one of the arm chairs when Harry came in all wet and muddy.

“Harry, for God’s sake get dried or you’ll catch pneumonia!” Sirius cried and sneezed again.

“I think I’ll catch pneumonia if I stand next to you,” Harry said looking at his father. With a flick of his wand Remus dried and cleaned Harry.

“Thanks Uncle Moony,” Harry said sitting next to Sirius and putting a hand to his forehead. “Are you okay dad?”

“Noooooo,” Sirius whined and Remus rolled his eyes.

“Madam Pomfrey says he’ll be just fine by tomorrow if he drinks his potions.”

Sirius made a disgusted face and eyed said potion evilly.

“What brings you here today Harry?” Remus asked.

“Well, I was coming back from Quidditch practice and Filch caught me with the usual tirade of me getting the castle dirty on purpose, threatening disembowelment etc, etc. But then Nick created a diversion and got me out of a tight spot. Long story short he invited me to his Death Day Party. Can I go?” he asked expectantly.

Remus and Sirius stared at him in shock.

“Come again?” Sirius asked.

“Nick is going to have a Death Day Party. You know, it’s his big five-o-o. So he invited me. The Headless Hunters, a group Nick wants to join, are going to be there and Nick thought that maybe my presence there could help him. Please dad, I owe him big.”

Sirius looked reluctant but Remus said nonchalantly, “It’s not dangerous or anything Sirius. Just a party with ghosts. Most of which know Harry.”

Sirius sighed, “Okay. But don’t go alone. We still don’t know what that voice you heard was and if anything happens the ghosts won’t be able to help.”

“Ok, I’ll see if Ron, Hermione, Neville and Ginny want to go. I bet at least Hermione will find it fascinating.”

“I haven’t seen Ginny much with you guys lately,” Remus noted.

Harry shrugged, “Maybe she’s hanging out with the first years. Percy forced her to take some Pepperup. Said she looked peaky.”

Sirius made a face and Harry took his Pepperup from the table and started moving it to Sirius’s mouth but Sirius kept pushing it away.

 

XXXXXXXX

“He’s just started his second year. Gave us quite a scare last year but he’s fine now. You’d be very proud of him. He was very brave. Perfect little Gryffindor, just like you. I see a lot of you in him. There’s a lot of his father too. Good parts, not that I am ever going to admit publicly that Potter may have had anything good in him,” he chuckled, “But there’s a lot of us too, me, Remus, Sirius and a bit of Albus even. I guess that’s from being so close to us. When I see something that screams me on him I get scared. I don’t want him to be like me. Make the same mistakes I made. Then Remus says that he won’t, that you and he wouldn’t love me if I was all bad. And maybe he is right, though I hate to admit that Remus might be right on something, or that he and Sirius are actually my friends. Because I think they are. It’s surely a sign of the end of times when I admit that Black and Lupin are my friends,” he sighed and traced her name with his fingers, “I miss you everyday. Today more than others. I thought I’d never have any joy in life again after you left but then you gave it back to me in the form of a very stubborn little boy and I’ll be forever grateful. I don’t deserve him. I hope you can forgive what I did. I have no excuses for it… I love you.” He left a single rose on her tombstone and left, cloak billowing behind him.

Another figure approached, “You know Lils, Prongs. Snivellus is not all that bad. He’s grown on me,” Sirius smirked at his friends’ tombs.

 

XXXXXX

“That was interesting,” Ron said as the quartet left Nick’s party. They were starving and headed back to the Great Hall to see if there was anything left of the Halloween feast. Harry’s head suddenly snapped when he heard a cold voice again.

“…rip…tear…kill…”

He stopped moving and listened with all his might. Where was it coming from?

“Do you hear that?” he asked.

“What?” Neville asked

“…so hungry…for so long…”

“That! That voice!”

“Harry, there’s no voice,” Hermione said trying to calm him but Harry just shushed her and tried to hear more intensely.

“…kill…time to kill…”

The voice was growing fainter and Harry took off following it. The other three took off behind him. It was moving upwards. He kept running until his blood went cold when he heard, “I smell blood…”

“It’s going to kill someone,” he cried.

They kept running and where on the second floor when Hermione cried.

“Look!”

Something was shining on the wall ahead. They approached cautiously and read clearly the foot high words written on the wall.

“THE CHAMBERS OF SECRETS HAS BEEN OPENED. ENEMIES OF THE HEIR, BEWARE.”

As they approached they stepped on water that seemed to have flooded the floor. Hermione took a sharp intake of breath as they clearly saw Mrs. Norris, Filch’s cat hanging upside down from her tail from one of the torch brackets.

“Is she dead?” Hermione whispered.

Harry inched closer to check but Ron pulled him back.

“Let’s get out of here,” he hissed.

“We should try to help,” Harry said.

“Harry, you’re the History teacher’s son. You better than anyone should know we should leave,” Neville said hurriedly trying to push Harry.

But they were too late. As a rumble reached their years they saw the crowd from the feast. Before they could do anything students were flooding from all sides and a cry could be heard;

“My cat!”

As Filch hurried to Mrs. Norris, Harry heard Draco Malfoy sneer.

“Enemies of the heir beware. You’ll be next Mudbloods.”

“Twenty points from Slytherin for foul language Mr. Malfoy,” Remus stern voice came.

“You can’t do that! You’re not a teacher,” Malfoy cried.

“You’ll find I can,” he said shortly as he approached Filch who was hugging a rigid Mrs. Norris.

“Argus, let me see her so we can help,” he said gently.

“He did this,” Filch said darkly pointing at Harry, “He’s always hated her. Since he was a little runt. He killed her.”

“She isn’t dead Argus,” Remus said calmly inspecting Mrs. Norris who was still in Filch’s arms, “Let’s take her somewhere calmer so we can evaluate her better.”

Filch was shaking his head and glaring at Harry, “No he did. I’ll kill him-“

“Argus,” Dumbledore’s voice spoke firmly as he approached Filch and Remus, “Do as Remus says. Let’s take her to a calmer place. Remus office is just around the corner. Come.”

Apparently Filch didn’t dare contradict Dumbledore.

“Mr. Potter Black, Mr. Weasley, Mr. Longbottom and Ms. Granger please accompany us.”

They did so and were also followed by Snape, McGonagall, Sirius and for some reason Lockhart. As they entered the office Remus gently laid Mrs. Norris on his desk where he and Dumbledore started a thorough examination of the cat. McGonagall directed Filch to one of the chairs where he started to sob convulsively.

Sirius drew his wand and produced four chairs for the children and stood right next to Harry with a hand on his shoulder and an eye on Filch. Severus stood in a shadowy corner just looking dark and foreboding but Harry could see that he too kept a close eye on Filch.

Lockhart was the only one that seemed unaffected as he cheerily kept citing possible curses that Harry could have used on the cat and how he could have prevented them. Harry could feel his father’s hand tightening on his shoulder and was sure Sirius was a second away from cursing Lockhart. Suddenly Lockhart dropped to the floor unconscious. Hermione screamed and McGonagall walked towards him and put a finger on his neck.

“Must have fainted. Poor lad,” she said very unconcerned. She left him there. From the corner of his eye Harry saw Severus pocket his wand.

After an eternity Dumbledore raised his head and said, “She is not dead Argus, just petrified. Though I do not know how.”

“Ask him. He did it,” Filch cried pointing at Harry shakily.

“DID NOT!” Harry yelled and was cut by Sirius.

“My son has no idea how this happened. He doesn’t have the knowledge and even if he had he would never do that. Do not accuse him!”

“He hates me. Always has. Since he was a little runt and kept making a mess all around the castle with his grubby hands for me to clean!”

“Okay, so maybe you’re not my favorite person in the world but I would never hurt Mrs. Norris just to get back at you!” Harry cried.

“Not helping Harry,” Neville whispered nervously.

“You read what he wrote on the wall. He knows I am a squib and that’s why he went after my Mrs. Norris. He’ll kill all the Muggle-borns next,” Filch said hysterically.

“WHAT?” Harry cried.

“Oh, please. Don’t be ridiculous Filch. And stop accusing my son or I’ll-“

“That’s enough Sirius,” Remus said sternly, “Argus is nervous and does not know what he is saying.”

“Yes, I do,” Filch said, “That little runt-“

“Could not have petrified Mr. Norris,” Dumbledore said calmly, “He does not have the knowledge to do this Argus. But don’t fret. I hear Professor Sprout has a batch of Mandrakes and as soon as they reach full size Severus can brew an antidote and Mrs. Norris will be fine.”

“And what about him?” Filch cried pointing at Harry, “I want to see him punished. He was caught in the scene of the crime.”

“If I may,” came Severus’ silky voice. Ron, Hermione and Neville jumped. They had clearly forgotten he was there. “I think maybe Potter was in the wrong place at the wrong time.” Harry sighed relieved, “Though, one has to wonder why he and his merry band where not at the feast.”

“We were at Nick’s Death Day party,” Ron cried outraged.

“At a Death Day’s party you say?” Severus said skeptically.

“Yes Severus,” Remus said pleasantly, “They had Sirius and mine consent to be there.”

“And what were you doing in the second floor’s corridor,” Severus asked.

“We were headed back to the feast when-“ Hermione started but Harry cut her.

“We changed our minds and decided to go back to our dorms.” He hoped Severus would understand that he couldn’t elaborate in present company. Apparently he did because he resumed his usual snarky self.

“That may be but there is still the matter of your suspicious behavior. I recommend suspicion of benefits. Let’s say Quidditch perhaps?”

Harry knew Severus was just acting but that still hurt.

“Oh, honestly Severus. Are you so desperate that you think Slytherin’s only chance is to deprive Gryffindor of their Seeker?” McGonagall cried and Sirius put a hand in front of his mouth to muffle his laughter.

“I think, Severus, that as there is no proof of Mr. Potter Black’s involvement on what happened to Mrs. Norris he shall not be punished,” Dumbledore said calmly.

“WHAT? No he can’t,” Filch cried.

“Innocent until proven guilty Argus,” Dumbledore said putting a hand on Filch’s back and giddying him out. “Why don’t you come with me while Remus takes Mrs. Norris up to the Hospital Wing? I am sure Poppy will be more than happy to take care of her.”

Harry was sure she would throw a fit but Remus left with Mrs. Norris nonetheless.

“Mr. Longbottom, Mr. Weasley, Ms. Granger. I’ll take you to your dorms. And I’ll drop him in his office,” McGonagall said with a scowl levitating Lockhart.

“Shouldn’t Madam Pomfrey see him?” Hermione fretted.

“He’s fine,” McGonagall said shortly as they left.

Severus closed the door behind them and put up a Silencing Charm. Sirius turned to Harry and said, “What did you leave out?”

And so Harry told them what he heard.

 

XXXXXXXX

“So, there is a voice only that Harry heard saying it was after blood?” Remus said frowning, “That’s not much.”

“Actually, that may be a clue Remus,” Dumbledore said calmly from his seat behind his desk. He had his hands together and was resting his chin on the tips of his index fingers.

“Of what Albus?” Severus asked.

“Something or someone petrified Mrs. Norris. We need to find out what and the fact that only Harry could hear whoever did it talk has to help. What is so special about Harry that made only him hear that voice?”

Severus and Sirius just looked lost but Remus shook his head.

“I know what you’re thinking Albus but there is no way. The Basilisk’s stare kills, doesn’t petrify. Besides, how would a Basilisk go around unnoticed? It’s not a small common garden snake. It’s huge.”

“You think a Basilisk did this?” Sirius asked shocked.

“That would explain why Harry was the only one to hear the voice,” Dumbledore said, “And Slytherin was a Parselmouth. It would make sense for his supposed monster to be a snake that only he could control.”

“Yes, but Remus has a valid point,” Severus said scowling, “Which takes us back to square one.”

 

XXXXXXXXXXX

“Do they know what’s going on?” Hermione asked from her chair in the Common Room.

“No,” Harry answered, “I just told dad what I heard and he was going to tell Dumbledore. He told me to tell you guys that we should never be alone. Always walk in groups until they figure this out. Are you okay Ginny?”

Ginny who had been sitting with the four of them while Harry explained what he heard was looking definitely distraught.

“Don’t worry Ginny. The teachers will find out what happened in no time,” Neville tried to reassure her but that only made her lips tremble and she promptly bolted towards the girls dorms.

“What’s up with her?” Ron asked shocked.

Harry shrugged and turning to Neville and asked, “Why did you say I should know why we had to leave?”

“Because of the Chambers of Secrets legend,” Neville answered. “You do know the legend?”

Harry and Ron shook their heads and Hermione looked interested.

“I read it a while ago but I think it goes something like this-“ Neville started to explain.

XXXXXXXX

Harry walked slowly biting his lips. He knew this was a bad idea but what was he to do? He agreed with Ron, Neville and Hermione to do the Polyjuice Potion. He just hoped his Uncle never found out what they planed to do.

After a useless talk with Moaning Myrtle and some debate about who would want Squibs and Muggle-borns out of Hogwarts, they had decided that Malfoy had something to do with the Chambers of Secrets. Hermione had managed to get Lockhart to sign a permission slip for her to take a book from the Restricted Section and they would be brewing Polyjuice Potion to enter the Slytherin Common Room and see if Malfoy told his goons something. Harry thought of asking Marcus but he couldn’t put the boy in that position.

The problem was they needed the ingredients for the potion and Severus’ private store was the only place they would find it. Harry knew his Uncle would notice the stolen ingredients; he just hoped he wouldn’t suspect him or he’d be in deep trouble. He had tried to dissuade his friends but they would have none of it.

Sighing Harry gave the gargoyle the password. He went up the revolving staircase and knocked on the door. As he heard his grandfather’s voice he entered. Dumbledore smiled from his desk and asked:

“And what brings you here today Harry?”

Harry sat down and started, “Well, I just had class with Lockhart-“

“Professor Lockhart.”

“Yeah, him. He was telling us about a spell that he supposedly used to cure a werewolf and I thought that maybe-“

“The Homorphus Charm doesn’t cure Lycanthropy, Harry,” Dumbledore said sadly, “Remus’ parents looked into it long ago. It’s a very complex and hard charm that few can perform that allows a person to force a Werewolf back to his form but does not take away the curse. He will still transform on the next full moon. All you do is make him human before the moon is down, and since you force it its quite harmful to the werewolf.”

“Oh, ok,” Harry said disappointed, “I just thought, you know, maybe-“

“You just wanted to help our Uncle. It’s natural,” Dumbledore smiled. “Now, why don’t you tell me all about your holidays and first weeks of term? We did not have any time together since you left in June. Lemon drop?”

Harry smiled a little and taking a Lemon drop he started telling his Grandfather all about the dragon reserve.

-----------

The End.
End Notes:
A/N- I was looking things up on CoS and remembered that lesson from Lockhart. I thought of skipping it but I couldn’t see Harry not considering the possibility. And who better than Dumbledore to explain?
As always; huge thanks to my beta Swaddict1986 who catches all my mistakes and gives me good tips.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1910