The name is Potter Black! by PadyandMoony
Summary: Harry lived with the Dursleys for six months then little over a year with his godfather when Sirius gets an invitation from Dumbledore to take over Professor Binns' classes.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Misc > Keepers of the Snitch Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Romance/Het, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: The name is Potter Black!
Chapters: 45 Completed: Yes Word count: 155059 Read: 167721 Published: 21 Aug 2009 Updated: 22 Aug 2009
In which Severus scowls by PadyandMoony

Chapter 26- In which Severus scowls

“So, what did you think of Slughorn?” Sirius asked.

He and Harry were slumped on the couch in the Marauder’s Quarters. They, with Severus, Remus and Dumbledore, had just watched the memory Slughorn gave to Dumbledore. It wasn’t that the memory told them anything new; most of it Dumbledore had already figured out, but it confirmed their theories. Voldemort had indeed chosen to make seven Horcruxes, since seven is the strongest magical number and he most probably made Marvolo’s ring a Horcrux, since he was wearing it in the memory.

Harry shrugged, “I’m not his greatest fan but I don’t know him enough to dislike him. I didn’t like the way he talked about you and Uncle Regulus, like the two of you were objects. He said he would have ‘liked to have the set’.”

Sirius laughed, “That sounds like old Sluggy. He’s not that bad, he just likes to surround himself with important people, and the Blacks were very important. I am guessing that’s why Albus wanted you in your formal attire. He wanted Slughorn to be very interested in you. Mind you, being The Boy Who Lived would had been more than enough, but add that to being a Black and a Potter and you skyrocketed in his opinion.”

Harry grunted, he hated the shallowness of people sometime.

“He had his little club of favorites. Reggie, Cissy, Andy and Bellatrix were of course in it, being Blacks. In our year he had Severus and Lily. Not so much for their background since Lily was Muggleborn and Severus was a disgraced Prince, but for their promise. That’s one thing he does know how to see; promise. He tried getting me and James but we couldn’t be bothered, especially since Slughorn hadn’t shown a slice of interest in Moony, even though Moony was the best student in our year in most classes. He knew he was brilliant but he also knew that, as a werewolf, Moony would never have the chances to get very high, so he dismissed him. That didn’t sit well with me and Prongs.”

Harry scowled; he definitely liked Slughorn less and less by each word.

“I know it’s shallow Harry, but it’s not that he is a bad guy or prejudiced. I don’t think he gave a damn that Moony is a werewolf, but he knew that Wizarding Society does and therefore he acted in his best interest. He is a Slytherin after all, and unfortunately associating with Moony wasn’t in his best interest. Even if he acts and looks shallow, deep down Sluggy is okay. He brewed all kinds of special healing balms for the aftermath of the full moon, even though Dumbledore didn’t ask him to. He went beyond his responsibility of brewing the standard potions for the Hospital Wing, Even though he didn’t advertise it like he did other things, he still did care.”

Harry shrugged. Okay, maybe the guy wasn’t that bad. He looked at his watch and groaned, “I have to go to the library. If I’m lucky I can still cram half an hour of research.”

“Or you could just relax. Enjoy the day,” Sirius prompted.

“No, thank you dad. I’m going,” he said patting Sirius’ knees and running off. As he left, Harry shook his head at Sirius’ pout, his dad would do anything to postpone his transformation as much as he could.

 

XXXXXXXXXX

“What’s this Hermione?” Ron asked from his spot at the table during breakfast. Neville gave him a look that clearly said, “Like you don’t know.” But honestly, Ron liked to be positive and hope that one year Hermione would forget.

“Your study schedule for finals Ronald,” Hermione answered in her no nonsense voice as she passed Harry and Neville theirs.

“In yours Harry, I put time for you to study whatever you’ve been studying with Professors Black and Lupin.”

“What?” Harry squeaked.

“Oh, come on Harry. The whole year you haven’t been even slightly rebellious about Hogsmeade. It’s obvious that you are otherwise engaged.” Neville rolled his eyes.

“We don’t mind Harry. Everyone has stuff they do with their family and not necessarily tell their friends. It’s normal. Besides, knowing Professor Lupin it probably involves a lot of books,” Ron shuddered.

Harry grinned at Hermione’s outraged look, “There is nothing wrong with books Ron!”

“It’s just a family tradition,” Harry said apologetically, “But I can’t tell anyone. I’m sorry. The second I’m allowed, you’ll be the first to know.”

 

XXXXXXXXXX

As the weeks went by and the end of term approached, Severus made some progress with his Animagus form. He had managed to turn all of his skin into fur.

“Well done!” Sirius beamed.

“I still have a lot to go,” Severus grumbled but Sirius wasn’t discouraged.

“You’ll get there.”

XXXXXXXX

“Now team, I want you to go out there tomorrow and win!” Sirius told the assembled Quidditch team on their last training session before the final, “I have a big bet with Professor Snape and can’t wait to take the cup from his grubby hands!” he finished with a faraway look.

“Hem, hem,” Harry cleared his throat, “You aren’t supposed to bet with other teachers sir, much less tell us about it.”

Sirius looked at Harry shocked and then at the rest of the sweaty team, “All the teachers bet! You know that!”

“We do sir,” Angelina said diplomatic, “But you’re not supposed to tell us. You’re supposed to pretend you don’t.”

“But then you won’t know what’s at stake here! I’ve been losing bets to that man for years! I need to win!” Sirius cried and Oliver patted him sympathetically.

“I understand you sir!”

 

XXXXXXXXX

Another foul occurred and Severus cringed. Great, this way they were just supporting the gossip that happened after the fake Dementors disaster. Sirius was bouncing next to him. He was so sure he was going to win that bet, oh but he wouldn’t. Severus made it clear to his team he wanted a win, especially after what Malfoy did. They needed to improve their House’s name.

And what was Malfoy doing? He kept tailing Harry instead of looking for the Snitch. Severus knew Harry had no intention of going after the Snitch before his team had the necessary advantage in points to win the Cup. He wanted to stop the game and make Malfoy go after the Snitch, but noooo, the Heads of House weren’t allowed to do that. That was just for the captain. Stupid rule. Severus had to be tortured as Malfoy did nothing, and even worse, Harry was duping him to keep him from the Snitch! Get the stupid Snitch boy! Stop the game now while we still can win the cup!

“YOU CHEATING SCUM!” Severus heard Lee Jordan bellow and he had to agree. He would have to have some words with Flint. The boy usually went for a rougher approach but never out right cheated like this. He sorely suspected Malfoy must have had something to do with this. Unfortunately, Malfoy got a lot of what he wanted because no Slytherin was stupid of going against Lucius Malfoy’s son. Flint was no different than the others and, just as Severus personally knew, must know that sometimes in order to survive he had to go against his better judgment. Severus looked up at the score and cringed. He hoped Malfoy was able to turn Harry’s game on him now and give his teammates time to score.

Oh, no, oh, no. Please no!

“YES!” Sirius roared and Severus rubbed his ear.

“No need to make me deaf Black!”

“I believe you owe me some money Severus,” Sirius said brightly extending his hand.

“Me too,” Minerva said sobbing and hugging Remus in a very uncharacteristic display from behind him.

Severus scowled. He scowled as he handed them the money. He scowled as he handed Albus the cup and Albus had to force it out of his grip. He scowled as Albus handed the Quidditch Cup to Minerva in front of the whole school. He scowled as the Cup was passed to each member of the Gryffindor team. He scowled as Sirius snickered about Harry blushing when a Ravenclaw girl congratulated him, and he scowled even more when he saw Sirius hug the Cup to his chest and shake his head when Minerva tried to pry it from him to take it to her office.

“It’s in the Head of House’s office that it’s supposed to stay Sirius,” she scolded.

“But I am deputy!” he wined.

“Yes, and I am Head. Now give it here.”

XXXXXXX

“Ron, Trewlaney is one big fraud!” Harry said.

“I know Harry, but this was weird. She went all rigid, eyes unfocused and started talking in a different voice. What if she was making a real prediction?”

“What did she say?” Hermione asked from Ron’s left. The three of them plus Neville were walking back to Gryffindor Tower after their last exam of term.

“IT WILL HAPPEN TONIGHT. THE DARK LORD LIES ALONE AND FRIENDLESS, ABANDONED BY HIS FOLLOWERS. HIS SERVANTS HAVE BEEN CHAINED THESE TWELVE YEARS. TONIGHT, BEFORE MIDNIGHT... THE SERVANTS WILL BREAK FREE AND SET OUT TO REJOIN THEIR MASTER. THE DARK LORD WILL RISE AGAIN WITH HIS SERVANTS’ AID …TONIGHT... BEFORE MIDNIGHT...THE SERVANTS...WILL SET OUT...TO REJOIN...THEIR MASTER....”

“Do you think it has anything to do with Lestrange and Pettigrew?” Neville asked frowning. “They’ve been chained for twelve years.”

“But they escaped almost a year ago,” Harry said, “And she said they’ll set out to look for their master tonight.”

“Maybe that means they’ll give up on catching you?” Hermione said rightly.

“The only time they tried anything was on Halloween. I bet they already gave up,” Harry said but the others looked skeptical. “Okay, I’ll let Dumbledore know. Are you happy now?”

That seemed to appease them. Suddenly Harry looked around and said, “Aren’t we going to the Tower? This isn’t the way.”

“No, we’re going to see Professor McGonagall first,’” Hermione said flatly, “I have to talk to her.”

The boys snickered, remembering what Hermione’s Boggart in their DADA final had been. It took his Uncle a good twenty minutes to assure Hermione she had not failed everything.

Harry at least decided it was worth the detour since he just told Professor McGonagall about Trewlaney and she would tell Dumbledore. Her lips had pursed and Harry knew what she thought of Trewlaney but Harry had plans for the rest of the afternoon and didn’t want to have to go chase his grandfather, wherever he was. Besides, he didn’t put much stock on Trewlaney either.

XXXXXXXXXX

Harry heard a loud crack and turned.

“Hi there Kreacher. What’s up?” he asked from his bed.

Kreacher was holding a goblet in one of his hands and twisting his little pillow case with the other.

“Kreacher is bringing Master some juice.”

“Thanks,” Harry said taking the juice and resting it on the nightstand, ”You didn’t have to.” Harry surveyed Kreacher. He was very nervous, twisting his hands and looking at everything but Harry.

“Master please be careful. Kreacher is liking Master Harry. Kreacher is not wanting anything bad to happen to Master Harry.”

Harry got off the bed and kneeled down. He put a hand on Kreacher’s shoulder, “Relax. Nothing is going to happen. Nothing has happened since Halloween and that was just a scare. I’m safe.”

Kreacher looked like he wanted to say something but instead he started hitting his head.

“Hey, stop that Kreacher. What have I said about punishing yourself? You know what? I think you’re stressed out. Why don’t you take the rest of the day and tomorrow off to rest?”

Kreacher lunged at Harry hugging him and sobbing, “Oh, Master Harry is so good and Kreacher is being a bad elf!”

“No, hey. You’re a good elf,” Harry said patting Kreacher’s back and looked confused at Ron and Dean, who were staring at the display. The two boys didn’t seem to know how to help.

“Kreacher, go rest okay,” Harry said quietly, “A lot.”

With a last sob the little elf disappeared.

“That is one mental elf,” Ron said.

“I don’t know why he’s stranger than usual,” Harry looked worried. “I’ll talk to dad later.” He said, taking a sip from his juice.

 

XXXXXXX

Hours later, Harry was having a hard time keeping his eyes opened as he read. He wanted to finish this passage. He had already given his dad the essay but he wanted to make sure there was no reason for Sirius to say he needed to study more.

“We’re going to the Great Hall for dinner, wanna come?” Ron asked.

Harry shook his head as he yawned, “No, gotta finish my reading,” he pointed at his disguised book.

“Yuck, Potions!” Dean cried. “Harry, finals are over!”

Harry just shrugged and Dean, Seamus, Neville and Ron left. Harry continued reading but he blinked more and more as the minutes went by. The words were getting blurrier and the pillow he was propped against was getting softer; and in no time Harry was lost in dreamland.

A soft pop was heard and with a smirk a squeaky voice said, “Now, where do you keep your father’s cloak Harry?”

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

 


 

 

 

 

 

The End.
End Notes:
A/N- I know. Short chapter. But honestly, who could resist that cliffhanger?

Loved all my reviews.

Thanks to SWaddict1986 as usual for betaing.

Some people asked me how I viewed the werewolf and to me Moony looks just like a regular wolf with some minor differences that only an expert would know how to tell.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1910