The name is Potter Black! by PadyandMoony
Summary: Harry lived with the Dursleys for six months then little over a year with his godfather when Sirius gets an invitation from Dumbledore to take over Professor Binns' classes.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Misc > Keepers of the Snitch Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Romance/Het, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: The name is Potter Black!
Chapters: 45 Completed: Yes Word count: 155059 Read: 167752 Published: 21 Aug 2009 Updated: 22 Aug 2009
The calm before the storm by PadyandMoony

Chapter 39- The calm before the storm

 “You are being too proper Harry!” Severus scolded. “I told you, in this exercise everyone is the enemy. It’s shoot first, ask questions later. Your reactions are delayed because you wait to see who it is and you are not shooting to maim.”

“But, I would hurt you,” Harry protested.

“None of the hexes we discussed are life threatening and Poppy is on call,” Severus said firmly.

 “But let’s say I am in a battle, shouldn’t I try to just disable the enemy and not hurt them?” Harry tried to reason.

“That is a very noble thought Harry, and when dealing with noble people it is laudable, but Death Eaters are not noble, therefore it is just stupid to do so with them because you will be at a disadvantage. They will be shooting to kill, not disarm. Now we’ll start again. Everyone is the enemy Harry,” Severus reminded him.

Severus, Sirius, Harry and Remus all positioned themselves. The Room of Requirement resembled a battlefield and there were plenty of places to hide. Harry’s goal was to cross the field without being captured, and preferably capturing the ‘enemy’. They were so intent on the exercise that no one heard the door opening. Harry was trying to get to his target when he felt movement behind him. He turned and cried “Expelliarmus!” The figure, caught unaware, flew backwards as his wand flew into Harry’s hand. When Harry looked at who it was, his eyes went wide.

“STOP!” Severus shouted and stalked towards Harry, “What did I say about you keeping to the disarming charm?”

But Harry didn’t answer as he had run towards the fallen man and was apologizing profusely, “I’m sorry Grandpa. Uncle Sev said to shoot first.  I didn’t know it was you.”

“That’s fine Harry. No harm done,” Albus said as he got up with Harry’s help.

“Yes, and I said shoot to maim,” Severus growled.

“But Grandpa wasn’t in the exercise,” Harry defended himself.

“Albus shouldn’t have come here when he knew we were dueling,” Sirius said flatly. “If he did he was a fair target. You had orders Harry.”

“Here is your wand Grandpa,” Harry returned the wand to Dumbledore.

“Start over,” Severus snapped and everyone went back to their places. Dumbledore, who said that he came to observe, was drawing a chair with his wand to sit in when one glare from Severus had him taking a hiding spot and joining the exercise too.

By the end of the exercise, Harry had managed to stun Remus once. Severus was a little more satisfied but still pointed out that the only one Harry managed to get was the one who suffered from Harry’s “proper mannerism” as Severus called it.

 

XXXX

 

Dear Mrs. Weasley,

I would firstly like to thank you for the thoughtful gift you bestowed upon me this Easter. The Easter eggs you sent me and my family were greatly appreciated especially by my Uncle who is a known chocoholic.

Ron tells me you enjoy reading “Witch Weekly” and like Rita Skeeter a lot. I don’t know if you read her articles as of late but I wanted to make sure that in case you have, you didn’t get the wrong idea. Ms. Skeeter seems to be somewhat confused you see. Hermione and I have never had anything happen between us, and as a matter of fact I’ve been occasionally seeing another girl since the Yule Ball. Her name is Susan Bones and we have been having a really nice time. Hermione is like the sister I never had to me.

Ms. Skeeter also seems to have understood the relationship of brotherhood between my father and Uncle in the wrong way. I assure you that though I wouldn’t have anything against it, my father and Uncle Remus are not a couple and are both straight. As a matter of fact, according to my father, my Uncle has been showing interest in a certain young lady who shall remain nameless for I am a gentleman. Both my father and I approve of a possible relationship between my Uncle and said lady.

I also assure you my father has always treated my Uncle with utmost respect and he is a very much valued and recognized member of our family.

I wish you good fortune.

Sincerely,

 

Harry James Potter Black

 

Harry, re-read the letter once again and, satisfied, sealed it and tied it to Hedwig. As she flew away he dearly hoped Mrs. Weasley believed him. She had sent Easter eggs to everyone, as she did every year, a tradition of hers since she first met Harry at the age of nine along with sending them the famous Weasley jumpers. Sirius always said that Mrs. Weasley seemed to think that the three of them would run around naked and not eat if she didn’t remind them to, something about not having a woman around. This year though, both Sirius and Hermione’s eggs had been quite small while Harry’s and Remus’ had been bigger than usual. Remus had been quite happy with his amount of chocolate but Sirius and Hermione had been crestfallen. Sirius had already frowned at the lack of his usual Weasley jumper this year, and now Harry thought he understood why Mrs. Weasley had seemed to “forget”. Especially after Hermione asked Ron if Mrs. Weasley read Witch Weekly. He hoped the letter worked.

XXXXXXX

“I thought you looked like you needed some hot chocolate,” Tonks said as she sat on the steps of the front porch of the PWA’s manor next to Remus, handing him a steamy cup.

“Thank you,” he said smiling. They both turned to watch the children and a few adults play an impromptu Quidditch game. The contractors had warded the gates and walls surrounding the property in a way that no Muggle nor Wizard could see what was going inside. This allowed them to roam around the grounds freely with no worry of being spotted, and of course they could fly, so McGonagall had donated an assortment of Cleansweep Sevens for the Association.

“How is Harry holding up?” Tonks asked.

“Better than me,” Remus gave a small chuckle and rubbed his eyes tiredly. “I’m so scared something will happen. Albus promised us he is supervising everything but I can’t help this feeling of foreboding.”

She smiled kindly at him, “It’s your fatherly instincts kicking in. They always expect the worst. You’ll see, nothing will happen, Harry will end up the youngest Triwizard Champion ever and we’ll all laugh at how silly we were.”

“I sure hope so,” he gave her a small smile.

She hid a grin behind her cup and asked, “And how are you and Siri? Has he finally proposed?”

“NYMPHADORA!”

She laughed heartedly, “Oh, come on. You can’t deny it was funny. And what’s funnier is that people believed it. I mean Sirius Black! Please, there isn’t a witch between twenty and forty that hasn’t gone out with him at least once. By the way, I heard a few stating that his sexuality was the reason they didn’t work. They should have known.”

“Well, I assure you I am very much attracted only to the female variety,” he said dignifiedly.

“Anyone in particular,” she asked hopefully. He blushed but did not answer.

“You know, only you can get away with calling me that,” she said, changing the subject and smiling as she sipped her hot chocolate.

XXXXX

Time seemed to speed up. For some reason, Mrs. Weasley sent both Sirius and Hermione some very tasty pieces of chocolate cake. She said she baked it and that she and Mr. Wesley weren’t able to finish it. No one else got cake.

 By the end of May, Bagman told the champions what the third task would be. A Maze full of obstacles with the Triwizard Cup in the center. The first to touch it would be the champion. That same night Krum asked Harry if he had a history with Hermione, and Harry had to work really hard to not laugh and reassure the Bulgarian that she was like a sister to him.

His training lessons continued as usual, with his dad and Uncles  focusing on spells and hexes that could get him safely through the  maze. In early June, Harry finally accomplished his transformation and trotted around the Room of Requirement in his Animagus form. The magnificent stag came close to Sirius who had his hand extended and slowly petted it’s head.

“Now we have to find you a name,” he said beaming proudly.

“Emerald,” Severus said as he too came to examine the animal.

“Emerald?” Sirius asked.

“I think it’s fitting,” Remus smiled running a hand over the stag’s back. “How many stags have you seen with green eyes?”

Harry’s scar kept bothering him every now and then, and when Hermione asked about it when they were walking back from Care of Magical Creatures once, Harry just said it hurt a few times this year. According to his father it was either good because it meant Voldemort was pissed and failing at whatever he wanted, or very bad because he was happy. There was really no way of knowing. On the night before the third task Dumbledore called Harry to his office.

“I want you to have this Harry,” Dumbledore said, and handed him his wand. “It hasn’t been working quite right for me lately but I have a feeling it will work for you.”

“But Grandpa-” Harry started.

“When a wizard wins a wand he becomes its master,” Dumbledore explained. “You won that wand by disarming me. It doesn’t belong to me anymore. And it never hurts to have more than one wand Harry. I want you to use this wand during the last task and keep the other one in your holster.”

“But Grandpa, I don’t feel right taking your wand, and I like mine. Can’t I do it the other way around, and keep yours in the holster?”

“Do you remember what Mr. Ollivander said about your wand Harry?”

“Yes,” Harry said eying Dumbledore nervously. “But you said it didn’t matter. That what makes the wizard are our choices not our gifts. So it was okay that my wand and Voldemort’s were brother wands.’

“It doesn’t define you Harry but it handicaps you in a fight against Voldemort,” Harry looked puzzled. “Brother wands are not meant to duel each other, and when they are forced to, they don’t work properly. If you are caught by Voldemort, which I, your father and Uncles will do the utmost to prevent, your wand won’t work properly against him.”

“Neither will his then.”

“No, but what are the chances that he will be alone? When two brother wands are forced to battle what happens is an effect called Prior Incantatem, meaning they will connect and one of the wands will force the other to regurgitate the past spells it has performed- in reverse. Which means your and Voldemort’s wand would be locked together until one of you broke the connection.”

“Giving one of his minions time to finish me off,” Harry finished. “I understand Grandpa. I’ll use your wand for the task and keep mine in my holster, just in case I’m disarmed. What will you do?”

Dumbledore produced another wand and waved it around, “Pine with a unicorn hair, very good for transfiguration. My very first wand. I’ve missed it,” he winked.

“This isn’t your first wand?”

“No, I won that one from someone just like you did. Well not exactly, but that is a story for another day.”

 

XXXXXX

The day of the third task was quite interesting. Right bright in the morning, the Daily Prophet announced that Harry was “Disturbed and Dangerous” courtesy of the one and only Rita Skeeter. Somehow she found out Harry’s scar had been hurting and decided that she had to have a new tale about him. Being the tragic Hero wasn’t selling anymore. She unearthed the story of Harry being a Parseltongue and the whole Dueling Club disaster, thanks to Malfoy.  And of course, being close friends with Hagrid just added to his dangerous personality. She also pointed out the possibility Harry was pretending his scar hurt in an attention-seeking scheme, which was further confirmed by St. Mungo’s specialists. She also had the gall to say Harry may try using Dark Arts to win the Tournament.

Harry scoffed at the paper but Hermione had a sudden insight and ran to the library. To do what? Only God and Hermione knew.

The champion’s families were invited to watch the third task and spend the day with them. Since his dad would be busy with exams, Dumbledore invited the Tonks’ to spend the day with Harry and Remus. Amos Diggory was not very happy with Harry, but Andromeda quickly shut him up by saying Skeeter loved to stir trouble up and since he worked at the Ministry, Diggory should know better. Fleur insisted on introducing Harry to her parents who thanked him for rescuing Gabrielle. They were very impressed with him since he made a point of talking to them in French.

The day went pretty well as Harry walked around the castle showing his Aunt and Uncle all the places where he had helped Tonks and Charlie set up pranks. Tonks had smiled sheepishly and reminded her mother she was an adult now and could not be grounded. At lunch they were joined by Sirius who sat with them at the Gryffindor table instead of the Head Table as usual. The students didn’t seem to be troubled by having to eat at the same table as two teachers, and Ted said that was because the only thing that separated Sirius from them was the lack of uniform.

At dinner, Sirius and Remus took their spots back at the Head Table, much to Sirius’ disgust since their esteemed Minister had joined them. Finally after a tense dinner Dumbledore announced:

“Ladies and Gentlemen, in five minutes’ time, I will be asking you to make your way down to the Quidditch Pitch for the third task of the Triwizard Tournament. Will the champions please follow Mr. Bagman down to the stadium now.”

 “Good luck Harry,” Susan said as Harry was about to leave the Great Hall.

“Thanks,” Harry smiled. She looked sideways and quickly leaned forward and kissed his lips.

“For good luck,” she said blushing.

“I’ll certainly win,” Harry said grinning and Bagman had to push him to get out as he ran his fingers over his lips dazedly.

At the Head Table, Remus was trying to restrain Sirius, “Leggo Moony. Didn’t you see that! She attacked my baby! A hundred points from Hufflepuff and detention!”

“A hundred points to Hufflepuff for bravery,” Professor Flitwick said. “Kissing Harry in front of his lunatic father takes guts!”

In response, Sirius huffed and straightened his robes. He turned around and stalked out of the Great Hall through a back door behind the Head Table. Remus smiled apologetically and followed his friend out. He had to run to keep up with Sirius as he entered one passage after another until they were exiting the castle through a small hidden door not far from the huge entrance doors. As they ran towards the steps they were just in time to see the champions and Bagman exiting.

“If you allow me Ludo,” Sirius called. “I’d like a word with my son before he goes.”

Bagman shrugged, “Why not. You know where to find us Harry. Don’t be long.”

Harry nodded and joined Remus and Sirius.

“Good luck,” Remus and Sirius called to the other champions and then turned to Harry. Sirius grasped both his hands on Harry’s shoulder.

“You remember everything we taught you right?” Sirius asked and Harry nodded nervously. Sirius gave him a strained smile. “It will be fine. You’ll see. Just keep your head on and focus on the maze. If you think you can’t handle something shoot up red sparks and we will be there in a second.”

“The spectators will have a complete view of the maze,” Remus told Harry. “But the rules say we can’t interfere if you don’t ask for help. So don’t hesitate in doing so.”

“I won’t,” Harry said nervously and launched himself into Sirius arms and hugged him as if his life depended on it. Sirius’ strong arms circled Harry in a tight embrace, “Love you dad,” Harry whispered and Sirius said back into his hair:

“I love you too son. You’ll be fine. I know it,” he finished kissing Harry’s temple. As he left Sirius’ arms Harry launched himself into Remus’ arms in the same way.

“I love you Uncle Moony.”

“I know. I love you too and we will have many opportunities to tell each other again,” Remus said firmly. “Don’t worry.” Harry nodded into Remus’ chest but Remus knew he wasn’t the only one worried that his words would turn out to be untrue.

Harry nodded once more as he reluctantly left Remus’ embrace and marched towards the maze, squaring his shoulders. Remus gripped Sirius shoulder and felt his friend was shaking slightly.

“It’s almost over Paddy. Nothing will happen.”

“I so want to believe that Moony. So much!” Sirius said in a strained voice as he hugged himself for comfort.

XXXXXXX

Harry couldn’t believe it; he had a chance at winning. There it was, the shining Triwizard Cup, gleaming on a plinth at his reach. After running into a Boggart, a Blast- Ended Skrewt, a jinx that made him turn upside down, helping Cedric when Krum was Crucioing him, what was that by the way? And a sphinx, Harry had finally made it. He reached his hands towards it. It was almost over and Voldemort would not manage to get him. But then, out of the corner of his eyes, a figure hurtled out on the path behind him and Cedric was running towards him. Harry smiled and mouthed “sorry.” He extended his hand and had almost grabbed the cup when  he saw something immense over a hedge to his left, moving quickly along a path that intersected with his own, and Cedric was about to run into it. Without second thought, Harry took his hand back and cried:

“Cedric, look out! On your left!”

Cedric looked around just in time to avoid colliding with the enormous Acromantula that had come between him and Harry. It was bearing down on him and Cedric yelled “Stupefy!” but it had no effect. He continued trying spells to no avail: “Impedimenta! Stupefy!” But it was either to large or so magical that the curses had no effect. Harry didn’t think twice. He transformed, right then and there, not caring who saw. He lowered his head and poised his antlers and took off at a run colliding with the Acromantula and making it stumble a little. Enough to forget Cedric and focus on Emerald.

“What the hell!” Emerald heard Cedric gasp, but he didn’t waste any time. He took another run and hurtled his antlers at the Acromantula making it back away some more. He had pierced it with his antlers twice now, but it wasn’t enough yet. The Acromantula started clicking its razor-sharp pincers and when Emerald was backing away, it scraped his right hind leg causing Emerald to stumble in pain. His Animagus form was now useless and Harry transformed back. By then Cedric had regained his bearings and when Harry pointed his wand at the injured Acromantula that was still going towards them, he yelled: “Stunner on three,” Cedric was ready. “One, two three, STUPEFY!” they both cried and this time the force of both spells was enough to make it keel over.

“Harry,” Cedric cried. “Are you alright? You’re bleeding.”

Harry finally looked at his leg and sure enough there was a huge gash on it. Cedric tore a strip of his robes and made an impromptu bandage to stop the bleeding.

“I think that will hold until Madam Pomfrey can have a look,” he offered.

“Yeah,” Harry said. “Thanks.”

“Harry,” Cedric said awed. “When did you become an Animagus?”

Harry bit his lip and answered, “I managed it this month. But you can’t tell anyone Cedric. It’s a secret. It’s for my protection,” he said desperately.

“Harry, you saved my life twice today. If you weren’t an Animagus I’d be spider food right now.”

“You would have thought of something.”

“I was scared shitless. I highly doubt I could. Don’t worry. Your secret is safe with me.”

Harry smiled and looked back at the cup.

“Go on,” he said. “I won’t be winning any races with this leg. Go take it.”

But Cedric didn’t move. He looked at the cup longingly and then at Harry. He shook his head and said, “No, you deserve it more. You stopped twice to help me. You were already there and came back for me.”

“Cedric!” Harry cried annoyed. “Don’t be daft! I can’t outrun you. It’s yours. This is a competition!”

“You helped me with the Dragon. I would have gone down in the first task if you hadn’t.”

“I had help in that too and you told me about the egg, we’re even,” Harry said through gritted teeth. The cut was burning and he really wanted Poppy. The longer Cedric argued the longer it took for them to get out of there.

“I had help there. The fake Moody told me to take a bath with the egg.”

“Why?”

“Beats me, but he did.”

“It doesn’t matter anyway,” Harry said pointing at the cup. “That cup is yours. Go get it.”

Cedric shrugged and backed off and crossed his arms. Unbelievable! Harry crossed his arms and leaned on the hedge.

“If you don’t get it we will just stay here all night long, because I’m not moving,” Harry said stubbornly.

“But Harry, I am telling you to get it. Don’t you want eternal glory?”

“Got enough attention as it is,” Harry shrugged.

They both stayed that way for a while until Cedric said, “Both of us then? At the same time.”

Harry looked questioningly and nodded pensively, “It would be a complete Hogwarts victory. Are you sure?”

“Yes, it’s this or nothing,” Cedric said.

“Okay.”

Grabbing Harry’s arm bellow the shoulder, Cedric helped him walk towards the cup. They both extended their hands and Harry said:

“We touch it on three okay?”

Cedric nodded and together they counted.

“One, two, three!”

Harry and Cedric each grabbed a handle and instantly felt a hook behind their navels and their feet left the ground.

 

--


 

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1910