The name is Potter Black! by PadyandMoony
Summary: Harry lived with the Dursleys for six months then little over a year with his godfather when Sirius gets an invitation from Dumbledore to take over Professor Binns' classes.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Misc > Keepers of the Snitch Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Romance/Het, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: The name is Potter Black!
Chapters: 45 Completed: Yes Word count: 155059 Read: 167715 Published: 21 Aug 2009 Updated: 22 Aug 2009
Cover up attempts by PadyandMoony

Chapter 41-For love

 “Here, this Portkey will take you directly to the infirmary. Poppy is waiting,” Remus said urgently handing Severus a small object Severus recognized as being one of the many in Albus office. “We’ll send Cedric along too.”

XXXXX

 

 

Chapter 42- Cover up attempts

“What you cooking Uncle Sevvie?” the little boy asked eyeing the big cauldron Severus was stirring. He couldn’t get near; Severus had put up a spell to stop him from touching the fire.

“I am not cooking, I am brewing a delicate potion.”

“Okay.”

“When you teach me how to cook?”

Severus eyed the boy and said, “I’ll teach you how to brew when you are older. You are too small to play with fire.”

“Am not! I am a big boy. I’ll be four in a month almost five.”

Severus bit back a laugh and said, “Oh! I am sorry. You’re so grown up. I must have been misled by your diminutive stature.”

The boy nodded satisfied then frowned and asked, “What stature mean?”

“Height.”

“Okay.”

Severus worked in silence for a very short while.

“Will you teach me now?”

“No.”

“But I’m older now.”

“No you are not.”

“Yes I am, see?” Harry said pointing to the clock on the wall. “The big hand moved and the very thin big hand made one whole turn and that’s a minute. Uncle Moony said so. So I am a whole minute older.”

Severus rubbed his temple with his free hand and said, “You have to be more than a minute older.”

“An hour?”

“Years.”

“How much is that?”

“A whole lot of minutes.”

Severus awoke and rubbed his neck. He stretched his back as he saw the first rays of sun entering through the window. Sleeping in a chair wasn’t the most comfortable position. He looked at the bed where Harry was asleep. Padfoot was curled at the foot and Remus was sleeping in a chair on the bed’s other side, slumped on the bed, holding one of Harry’s hands.

Madam Pomfrey hadn’t been able to get any of them to leave Harry’s side. Harry had already been badly injured before he reached that graveyard. The Acromantula’s venom that had entered the wound he had wasn’t much, but would have eventually killed him if left untreated. Thankfully Poppy had the antidote on stock since she knew there would be one in the maze. But Harry had already developed a fever that was hard to break and the venom had already done considerable damage.

There was also a cut on Harry’s arm and the cut the Acromantula made, which had made him loose a considerable amount of blood before Bellatrix’s Sectusempra spell hit. How he hated himself now for ever inventing that spell. It was a close call when Severus reached the infirmary and closed the cut as Poppy rushed with the Blood Replenishing Potion. They were almost too late; Harry’is heart was very close to giving out.

There were also signs of prolonged exposure to the Cruciatus Curse and there was no telling what the effects of the failed killing curse would be. It didn’t seem to have done anything, just like before, but they had to keep their eyes open. It was a miracle Harry had survived, and recovery would take time. There was just so much magic could do.

He was alive, Severus reminded himself rubbing his eyes with both his hands in distress. He would never forget the moment he felt Harry’s lifeless body sagging against his. The moment he thought he had lost Harry forever. When he had wanted to die with him.

He watched mesmerized as Harry’s chest rose and fell. It was the most beautiful sight in the world to him. He took Harry’s hand in his, “Why did you do it Harry?” he whispered. “I’m not worth it.”

“Yes you are,” came a raspy reply from the bed. Harry tried to squeeze Severus’ hand, but it was very weak. He smiled, “I wasn’t going to let him take you away from us,” he finished before he fell asleep again.

Severus heard the door open slightly and turned around, wand at the ready. He relaxed as soon as he saw the bushy head that poked through and sure enough it was followed by four redheads and one brown. They all stopped dead at the sight of their most feared and hated professor holding Harry’s hand. To give him credit, Neville was the first to recover from the shock.

“We wanted to know how Harry was, sir. No one would tell us,” he spoke in a low tone so he didn’t wake anyone. “They just sent everyone to their rooms last night and said Cedric and Harry had been found.”

Severus sighed, “Yes, Cedric is fine,” Severus answered, glancing at a bed farther away where Cedric’s parents were mimicking Severus and Remus’ positions with their sleeping boy. “He has signs of exposure to the Cruciatus Curse but no lasting effects from that. His gravest injury is a very strong Obliviation charm he was put under. He woke up earlier and the last thing he remembers is something that happened over two years ago.”

Hermione gasped and put her hands over her mouth.

“There is no telling if he will regain his memory, but at least his mind wasn’t broken. He’ll probably just have to relearn what he lost of the last two years. If he decides to come back to Hogwarts next year he’ll have to be put in your year. He was lucky. The Dark Lord’s and the Death Eater’s main attention was on Harry and he was mostly left alone.”

“And Harry?” Ginny asked quietly.

Severus looked at Harry and then answered, “He survived the impossible, but he is weak and it will take time before he is back to his usual annoying self,” Severus smiled to himself and since he was looking at Harry he missed the shocked looks of the students. “He woke briefly just a moment ago but had strength only to say a few words. But he is strong, I am confident he’ll recover.”

All the kids nodded in understanding that they should leave the patients to their rest. They were about to leave when George decided to ask, “Professor, how come you’re here?”

“That is a story for Harry to tell you when he is feeling stronger. When he does remember that there were lives at stake,” Severus finished, glaring pointedly at Ron. The moment was broken by a loud slamming noise that woke Padfoot and Remus.

“Wha-?” Remus slurred.

“Sorry,” Hermione said sheepishly holding something tight in her hand. She quickly ran out of the Hospital Wing and the others shrugged before they followed her.

XXXXXXX

Later that morning a commotion could be heard outside and Severus recognized Poppy and Minerva’s angry voices.

“You cannot go in there!” Poppy cried. “I have patients there.”

“I am the Minister of Magic and I can go wherever I want. Stand aside.”

The double doors burst open and Severus started standing up. Cornelius Fudge walked in, followed by three Aurors. Two of which had been in the graveyard, Kingsley and Tonks.

“Dawlish, Shacklebolt. Arrest that man!” The Minister cried pointing at Severus.

“What?” Sirius cried bewildered. When had he transformed back? “You can’t do that!”

Cornelius Fudge was not to be deterred, “This man is a Death Eater. He was identified by the others detained last night and shall be taken in for questioning.”

“He saved Harry! He was our spy!” Sirius cried angry.

“Mr. Black, you may be on extended leave, but you are still under my command as an Auror. Do not make me detain you as well for disobedience.”

“It’s fine Sirius,” Severus said walking towards the Aurors, “I’ll go in. Take care of Harry and let Albus know about this.”

“Severus, you can’t-“ Remus started, but was silenced by a glare from Severus.

“It’s no good if we are all detained.”

Kingsley made him turn around and conjured handcuffs. Under his breath he whispered, “I am sorry.” He and Dawlish escorted Severus out and Severus maintained a stony face as they walked through the corridors and passed the whispering students who were on their way to breakfast. He did not let his mask down one second as he was escorted through the gates and Side-Apparated away.

Back in the Hospital Wing, a riot had started, “You have no proof other than the word of Death Eaters who are trying everything to weasel their way out of prison again,” McGonagall told the Minister sternly.

“My dear lady. I have witnesses. I have accounts from the Death Eaters’ trials that appoint Snape as a Death Eater and he has the Dark Mark.”

“And how exactly will you prove he has it?” Remus asked. “The Dark Mark vanished when Voldemort died,” he was satisfied to see Fudge flinch, “Not just faded to white like the first time around. It’s completely gone.”

“Well, we have pictures from his trial don’t we? Even Dumbledore confessed to Snape being a Death-“

“A Death Eater turned spy for us at great personal risk’, were my words if I am not mistaken,” Dumbledore said as he entered the Hospital Wing and Fudge gave a start. “I do not appreciate you humiliating my staff Cornelius,” he said, giving Fudge a disapproving look over his spectacles.

“Well, there is nothing you can do about that,” Fudge said flustered. “Snape is going to be tried just like the rest of them.”

“Like your good friend Alexander Nott?” McGonagall asked with a raised eyebrow. “Or the one who just happened to escape, Lucius Malfoy?”

Fudge flustered even more, “Well, hum, Lucius and Alexander’s guilt are still to be seen. But that’s none of your business. Auror Tonks, take Potter’s and Diggory’s statements.”

“If you haven’t noticed Minister,” Poppy said shortly. “Harry and Cedric are both sedated and will stay that way for quite a while. They both sustained serious injuries and need their rest-“

“Well, wake them up!” Fudge ordered.

“My son will give his statement when he has recovered and in the presence of our lawyer Andromeda Tonks. He is a victim here,” Sirius said through gritted teeth.

“And my son can’t give you a statement. He was Obliviated and has no recollection of what happened before he was knocked unconscious,” Amos Diggory spoke for the first time.

“Obliviated, huh. You’re saying Potter wiped his memory?” Fudge asked eagerly.

“No!” Diggory cried outraged. “You-know-Who did!”

“That is still to be verified. There is no proof You-Know-Who was alive-“

“What about his body and the countless witnesses who saw him?” Sirius barked.

“Well, the body, we never found a body all those years ago. Someone could have stored it-“

“Your raving Cornelius,” Mr. Diggory cried. “Of course it was him, and this boy defeated him again,” he finished, pointing at Harry.

“He would love to have us think that, wouldn’t he? Wake him up!” Fudge ordered again but Poppy did not move.

“Harry has the right for his lawyer, as does Severus by the way,” Remus said calmly. “You’ll have to wait.”

“That won’t do. I won’t have you coaching him on what to say in order to save Snape,” Fudge insisted.

“Severus saved Harry’s life,” Remus said firmly.

“As I hear it, Potter took a killing curse meant for Snape,” Fudge said.

“And then he killed Bellatrix Lestrange, who you let escape, when she tried to kill Harry,” Dumbledore said calmly.

“After his master had been killed to save his skin,” Fudge argued.

“Much like you are doing,” McGonagall muttered.

“You aren’t making any sense Cornelius,” Diggory said. “Didn’t you just say you didn’t believe You-Know-Who had been alive?”

Fudge flustered but regained his bearings quickly, “I said that has yet to be determined.”

“I won’t wake Harry and Cedric,” Poppy said firmly. “If you want to tell the public how you interfered with The-Boy-Who-Lived’s recovery, be my guest. But bring your own healer.”

Fudge’s face was growing purple. He spluttered, “Fine. Let me know the moment they wake.” He took a bag out of his pocket and shoved it in Mr. Diggory’s hands. “Their winnings. They both tied for first place. You figure out how to split it.” And he stalked out. Before Tonks could follow, Sirius said in a low tone to her:

“Tell your dad to meet Severus at the Ministry. Make sure he doesn’t say a word before Ted gets there.”

She nodded and left.

“Good call,” Mr. Diggory said. “Ted Tonks is Muggle-born isn’t he?”

“Yes,” Sirius nodded. “Andy has more experience with criminal law than him, but I know she’ll help him and Severus will need the sympathy points.”

“Let them know he can count on us,” Mr. Diggory said pointing to his wife who still hadn’t left Cedric’s side. “He helped save our boy and we will help him.”

“Thanks,” Remus smiled.

XXXXXX

At least he had his own cell. Fudge wanted to keep them separated so they wouldn’t get some made-up story straight. Thank God for small favors. If he had been put with his colleagues, he would be dead by now.

He wasn’t overly worried about his trial. He knew Dumbledore would find a way to get him off free. Fudge was only trying to look good after his biggest supporters, Malfoy and Nott, were caught red-handed. Well, Malfoy slipped away and if he was smart he would be on the run.

No, he was worried about Harry. He still had to wake up for more than a few seconds, and who knew what his condition would be? Severus had wanted to be there for him. To hold him. To explain what happened, even though he couldn’t. How had Harry survived the killing curse? Albus had said something about his blood being used to resurrect Voldemort and Harry being a Horcrux. That’s why Voldemort was dead. Nagini had been killed and whatever part of Voldemort that was in Harry had been destroyed. Severus couldn’t believe it. Albus had said he had researched for ways to destroy the Horcrux in Harry without killing him and then, almost by accident, without any planning, it was done and Voldemort was gone for good. It was almost anticlimactic.

But Severus knew that the chaos would start now that all the upstanding pure-blooded members of society where caught red-handed. Their children and spouses wouldn’t take this lying down, would not stand idly at the side as they were carted to Azkaban. The public would start doubting their commander and Fudge would do his best to cling to power. Even if his best meant sending innocents to Azkaban and letting the guilty roam free. Severus sighed deeply.

“What are you so gloom about?” he heard. He opened his eyes and cried:

“Ted!” He got up and walked towards the bars where on the other side Ted Tonks was grinning.

“Heard you were in a pickle.”

“You could say that,” Severus snorted.

“They don’t have a case, don’t worry.”

“Not to be rude or sound ungrateful, Ted, but why did you come instead of Andy?”

“Never! Never marry someone with the same career as you,” Ted huffed theatrically. “Am I not enough? Don’t you love me anymore? Why does everyone want Andy?” Severus smirked. “She’s going to be with Harry,” Ted said more seriously. “Fudge wants him to testify. He made a fuss about it. Wanted Poppy to wake the boy.”

That caught Severus’ attention and he cried, “What? He can’t! Harry is inj-“

“Relax. He wasn’t able to; Poppy refused. But he wants Harry testifying as soon as possible. I bet Fudge wants to twist Harry’s words so he can get Malfoy and Nott off. Andy won’t let it happen. Now to us, there’s a reason Sirius asked for me.”

“You’re Muggle-born.”

“Yes. I have to admit, defending Death Eaters, even innocent ones, isn’t what I’m used to. But you need someone you can trust and the fact that my wife is the victim’s lawyer and I am Muggle-born will be good for you. Never thought the day would come that being Muggle-born actually got me a job.”

Ted conjured a desk and chairs for both and Severus. They both sat down and Ted took out of his briefcase parchment and a quill out, “We can’t forget that your past speaks against you, but the fact that you turned to spy for the Light will be in your favor. It would be best if we could tell them exactly what made you do it. What you did,” at Severus’ horrified expression he elaborated, “As a spy not a Death Eater.”

No he couldn’t do it. Harry would know his part in James and Lily’s death.

“No! That’s classified!”

“You-Know-Who is dead for good and you’ve been ousted as spy. Surely you can-“

“No!”

Ted sighed, “Fine, we’ll work around that. Okay, start with what you can tell me and explain all that happened that night. I know I was there, but I need to know what happened to you.”

So Severus started telling Ted everything since Harry had that first dream during the summer, when he realized his Dark Mark was getting darker.

XXXXX

Harry opened his eyes slowly. He felt tired and groggy, and his right leg didn’t feel right. It was prickly and was bothering him.

“Hey sleepy head,” Sirius smiled from the side of the bed. He rested his elbows on the bed and stroked Harry’s hair. “You gave us such a scare you know?” he said hoarsely. “Don’t do that again.”

“M’ fine,” Harry mumbled tiredly.

“Not yet,” Remus answered as he approached the bed and sat next to Sirius. “But you will be. It’s just going to take some time and a lot of bed rest.”

Harry made a face at the comment about bed rest, but right now he didn’t think he could lift a leaf much less his whole body.

“Cedric?” he asked hoarsely as Sirius put raised a goblet to Harry’s mouth and he gratefully sipped some water.

“He is fine. Poppy has already released him. He lost a big chunk of his memory, and only time will tell if he will have any other effects from the memory charm that was put on him,” Remus explained.

“Voldemort wanted to kill him,” Harry said tiredly. “But I pulled him down and then Voldemort changed his mind. Said he would frame him for my murder.”

“Well, he wasn’t able to,” Sirius said firmly. “And he won’t be hurting anyone else ever again.”

Harry looked around, “Uncle Sev, s’he hurt?”

“No,” Sirius said in a strange voice. “He’s fine. He just can’t be here right now. But you’ll see him soon.” Remus was giving Sirius The Look but Sirius ignored it.

 “Leg feels funny,” Harry mumbled.

“Is it hurting?” Remus asked.

“No, prickly. Like it’s about to get to sleep you know.”

 “Poppy gave you the antidote to the Acromantula venom but it had already done some damage to your leg. It will take some time for the potions to re-grow everything that was basically dissolved by the venom though. Poppy estimates about two months. You have to tell us if it’s hurting because that means the pain killing potions are wearing off okay,” Remus explained.

“S’going to hurt?” Harry asked.

Sirius bit his lips then answered firmly, “Of course not. That’s why we have pain killing potions.”

“It may at times,” Remus answered, giving Sirius a scolding look. “The potions are basically re-growing nerves and muscle tissues, and that hurts. You can’t take too many painkillers and sometimes they may wear off before it’s time for your next dose.”

“Kay, m’tired,” Harry slurred.

“We know. You will be for a while. It’s everything catching up to you. But you’ll be well in a jiffy,” Sirius said. “Now sleep pup.”

Harry’s eyes started dropping and as he was falling asleep he mumbled, “Saw mum and dad. They said they were proud of you three. An’ to lemme date.”

As Harry’s breath evened out, Sirius looked at Remus worriedly, “Did he say he saw James and Lily?”

“Yes,” Remus said pale. “He must have dreamed it.”

“Yeah, James would never tell me to let him date,” Sirius said nodding, and Remus rolled his eyes.

---

 


The End.
End Notes:
A/N- I know everyone was expecting to know how Remus got to the graveyard in this chapter but it was too long so I broke it in two. I don’t like to post chapters more than 8 to 10 pages long because I know sometimes long chapters are tiresome to read in the computer, so I only do it when I have no other choice. Here I found another nice cutting point. But don’t worry, I’ll post the next one soon.

Thank you all for reading and reviewing. I was moved by so many reviews.

Thanks to SWaddict1986 for your help with my mistakes.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1910