The name is Potter Black! by PadyandMoony
Summary: Harry lived with the Dursleys for six months then little over a year with his godfather when Sirius gets an invitation from Dumbledore to take over Professor Binns' classes.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Misc > Keepers of the Snitch Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Romance/Het, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: The name is Potter Black!
Chapters: 45 Completed: Yes Word count: 155059 Read: 167731 Published: 21 Aug 2009 Updated: 22 Aug 2009
Explanations and Strategies by PadyandMoony

 

Chapter 43- Explanations and Strategies

After hours of Severus explaining everything that happened from his point of view, Ted nodded and started putting his parchments away.

“They are charging you with Death Eater activity and murder,” Ted explained.

“What?” Severus cried standing up.

“Calm down and listen. Fudge is doing his best to get a scapegoat and make it look like Nott and the others were there trying to detain you. The only one he isn’t trying to bail out is Karkaroff, and I heard he is trying to make deals once again. He’ll basically be the Ministry’s main witness. We have to do this right; Fudge is desperate, everyone knows Nott and Malfoy had him in their pockets and MacNair is a Ministry employee. This isn’t looking good for him and he’ll do his best to divert the public’s attention.”

“Death Eater activity I can understand,” Severus said slowly. “Nott and the others will say I kept in touch with them all these years, letting them think I was still faithful, and I did. I needed them to think that but what murder? I only killed Bellatrix and-“ at Ted’s nod, Severus’ eyes widened. “They can’t be serious. She was about to kill Harry. She was an escaped convict. Fudge himself authorized the Kiss, and that his Aurors apprehend her dead or alive. That’s hypocrisy.”

“He is stating that you are not an Auror, therefore were not allowed to kill her. But don’t worry. There were witnesses. What I need from you is an exemplar conduct. Fudge will try to rile you up. Before I came here I went to the Department of Law Enforcement to see if they had already set a date for your trial, and I learned that he is trying to push this around for months. I immediately applied for an earlier trial date and for you to be kept in Ministry facilities since you have not been proven guilty yet. Fudge wanted to cart you to Azkaban.”

“He wants to break me before I stand trial so I can’t defend myself.”

“Yes, and so you lose your head at the trial. I need you to stay calm. I wasn’t able to have you released until the trial. I am sorry, but Fudge is claiming that you could escape since you have no family ties.”

“Of course, no one knows about Harry. They all think I hate him,” he buried his head in his hands and pushed back his hair.

“And you did a good job of it. I believed so myself. When Sirius talked to me before I came here I thought he was having me on. I always thought you were just barely tolerating working with Sirius and Remus at the school, in the Order and then at the PWA,” Ted said grimly. “They’ll use your reputation against you and we will have to try everything to show you were only acting. I will paint you as the hero that sacrificed so much.”

Severus snorted.

“Yeah, I know it’s not much up your alley but you’ll have to play along. I will have witnesses and will ask to use Pensieve memories. Not only concerning the day in question but of your life with Harry. The part we never saw. I will also need the paperwork that proves you are Sean Evans and a co-owner of the PWA. That kind of volunteer work can be good for your image.”

“That can be a double edged sword. What if they say I was trying to control the Werewolves?”

“I’ll have a rebuttal ready. They will try to undermine us anyway. They will try to turn everything we show them into something horrible, but we can’t leave anything out. Besides, if we bring it up it’s better than if they do. Shows honesty on our part.”

“They wouldn’t be able to know,” Severus said. “I’ve been careful.”

“I know. But it’s better not to risk it. If by any chance they do find out and they are the ones to bring it up, then it’s us defending your actions again. It’s a perception game, Severus, and what they perceive is unfortunately more important than the truth. Which is also why I’ll have to show that you filed for your Animagus training, since Sirius assured me you did file the paperwork,” Severus nodded. “It would have been best if you had registered already but you are still within your time limit. Sirius told me that there was another instance when you saved Harry and that is good to exploit.”

Severus sighed and rubbed his eyes.

“I’ll go now but I’ll be back and the boys will be around as soon as they can. We won’t let you here alone. One of us will stop by every day with news. You have to stay strong.”

Severus nodded and stood up, “How is Andy doing? With you defending me-“

“Relax,” Ted smiled sadly. “Andy buried her sister long ago. I’m not going to lie, when we first got married, Andy had hope her sisters would see the light and change but then… when Dora was around four they were at Diagon Alley when there was a Death Eater attack… Bellatrix was there. Andy recognized her, and she had no qualms in coming after Andy and Dora specifically with gusto. They survived by a miracle. A healer from St. Mungo’s helped Andy protect Dora. Dora didn’t get hurt, but Bellatrix managed to get some pretty nasty hexes on Andy and the healer. The poor woman didn’t survive. Andy was beside herself with grief. Especially when she found out who the woman was.”

“Who?” Severus asked.

“Helen Lupin.”

“Remus’ mother; I knew she had died from a Death Eater attack but I didn’t know how it happened,” Severus said shocked.

Ted nodded, “That’s the day Andy buried any hope for her sister. She had wanted to kill them, ‘prune the family tree’ and she managed to kill one of Siri’s best friend’s mother. We had already met Remus of course. He had been home with James and Sirius many times. But we hadn’t met his parents yet. Andy would say every time they came that she had to commend whoever brought up such a polite son,” Ted shook his head, “Never got to.”

“That’s why you both worked so hard on getting the PWA running; I thought it was because of Sirius.”

“No, it was like we were able to repay Healer Lupin somehow, even if Remus wouldn’t directly benefit by the association. She saved our daughter, so we tried our best to help her son,” Ted gave a shaky smile and said, “Well, I better get going.”

Severus nodded and reached a hand over the bars and shook Ted’s.

“Thank you.”

XXXXXX

It was four days until Harry was able to stay awake more than just a few minutes and actually sit up to eat and have a real conversation. It was then that he asked again for Severus and this time he wanted an answer.

“None  of the other times I woke he was here. Where is he?”

Sirius looked at Remus with begging eyes but he just shook his head. Sirius took a big breath and said, “He was detained and is awaiting trial.”

“What?” Harry asked incredulously his mouth hanging open.

“Fudge is trying his best to turn this situation around to help himself. His two biggest supporters being accused of being Death Eaters was not good for him. He is trying to get a scapegoat,” Remus said. “But he won’t. Don’t worry, Severus is innocent and we have a strong defense.”

“Why is Fudge doing this?”

“Because he likes power and is afraid of losing it. His popularity has been downhill since Bellatrix’s and Pettigrew’s escape and he is scared he’ll be sacked. So he is trying to say this was a sham. He is trying to prove that Bellatrix, Crouch Jr, Pettigrew, Severus and Karkaroff, in a desperate attempt to get Voldemort back, kidnapped you and tried to resurrect Voldemort. He is claiming that they had Voldemort’s body stored and preserved somewhere and that you didn’t defeat him again, that he was already dead. That what we all saw walking around and talking was an Inferi, and that Nott, Malfoy and company where actually trying to save you and accidentally got on our way. He is saying that when Severus saw us arrive, he killed Bellatrix so he could save his freedom and only didn’t kill Karkaroff and Peter because he didn’t have the chance.”

“That is the most ridiculous tale I ever heard. I’ll tell them it’s not true,” Harry said.

“Ah, but see, Fudge anticipated that,” Remus said grimly. “On the day after the task, the Prophet had an article about the arrests and the story of what happened. How they knew so much, I don’t know. And they were actually quite contained, for Rita Skeeter I mean. She reported what happened and the only thing she went off about was whether we should trust Fudge or not. But after that, not one word about what happened; instead a few articles came out speculating if you are trustworthy.”

“Skeeter again?”

“No, some other reporter,” Sirius said. “But they reminded the public about you being a Parseltogue. Then there was them talking about you making up scar pains. Oh, and there is the fact that since everyone had a very good view of the maze they all saw you transform.”

“Sorry,” Harry mumbled. “I didn’t think.”

“You used what you had to save yours and Cedric’s life. We don’t berate you for that even though we would have liked for you to have the advantage of no one knowing,” Remus said.

“Will we get in trouble?”

“No,” Sirius smirked. “When you started training I filed the paperwork. Except I filed it with Minerva, since I knew she would be able to keep it to herself. But there is a record. Sev did the same, though he didn’t plan to register till the war was over. Once you are up to it we will go and get you registered. But the problem is that The Prophet has been claiming you did it undercover and that you are too young and had to have used Dark Magic to accomplish it at such an young age. Then they started a detailed account of every Black in history that has used Dark Magic.”

“But why?”

“To discredit you. Since Cedric’s memory is gone you are the main witness against Nott and the rest. We arrived after them so all we can attest to is that they were there and they fought us. But considering Sirius and I launched the attack they can claim self defense.” Remus explained. “That’s why he doesn’t want to say Voldemort was alive and you killed him, because then you would be a hero again and your word would be strong against theirs.”

“This is bad then?” Harry asked.

“It’s bad. But they can’t prove within the law what they want, so we are confident Severus will walk free. But there is a chance the others will too. The only one really screwed is Karkaroff because Krum told the Aurors Karkaroff Imperiused him and an exam on Karkaroff’s wand confirmed it. The Triwizard Cup was also taken to be examined and Karkaroff’s magical signature was found there as well,” Remus said.

“How did you get there? Did you follow Uncle Sev?”

“No, Voldemort made the Dark Mark in such a way that even though it pulled his Death Eaters to him it didn’t allow anyone to follow,” Sirius said. “We followed another pull.”

“What pull?”

“Have you ever wondered how I Apparated inside the Chamber of Secrets. Or how I knew when Pettigrew kidnapped you?” Remus asked and Harry shook his head. “When we magically adopted you, you became our son by blood. You became a Lupin and a Black, and therefore inherited some of our traits. That is how the adoption works. Like your hair for instance- it’s messy and looks a lot like James’, but before Sirius adopted you it was actually a lighter shade of reddish black. Now it’s jet-black just like Padfoot’s fur,” he said ruffling Sirius’ hair and receiving a glare and a scowl in return. “And it’s a little more wavy than before. Your hands look a bit like mine. Your face is James’. Your eyes are Lily’s. You have a bit of each of us in you.”

“What does that have to do with anything?”

“I’m getting there. Do you know why Greyback wasn’t able to take me away when he bit me Harry?” Remus asked and Harry shook his head again. “Greyback usually bit children and hauled them off with him. I don’t know how he had that amount of control without Wolfsbane, but he somehow managed to. But my father stopped him from taking me. When he was biting me my father showed up from nowhere, and managed to get him off me to Apparate us away. Later I discovered how he did that. Many generations ago a Lupin decided to protect his children the best he could. He wanted to be able to know and track them when they were in danger. And he found a way. He made a potion with his and his children’s blood that let him sense when they were in need. They all drank it. What he didn’t know was that the potion fused with their genes and with their magic creating new magic that was passed on through the generations. So from then on every Lupin descendant was born with the ability to track their offspring. When I became your father by blood, that ability was passed to you and that is why I can find you anywhere. My magic takes me to you even through wards, and even in my wolf form. That’s how I got out of the office in your first year and how I got to the Chamber of Secrets. The only reason I wasn’t able to get to you in first year was because the fact that I was transformed hindered my magic, delaying my release from the office. My magic Apparated me and everyone who was touching me out through the wards, and my magic guided us to the Little Hangelton graveyard. It was very hard to fight the pull while we were organizing ourselves to get there. The moment you were Portkeyed off the grounds, the bond was already pulling me to you because you were in danger of death. That’s when the pull is stronger. If you are just in danger of being hurt, I feel a pull towards you but it isn’t strong enough to go through wards. Like those times your cousin and his friends were hurting you or when Pettigrew took you; they didn’t intend to kill you right away. I knew where to find you but the pull wasn’t enough to get me through wards. When that Basilisk bit you, the danger was enough for the pull to work by itself and Apparate me to the Chamber. But this time I knew I needed help and I knew you were alive or I wouldn’t be able to feel you, so I fought it until we were ready.”

Harry was shocked. His Uncle had a twenty-four/ seven tracking system on him? But a lot of things made sense now. Uncle Moony always seemed to show up when he needed help.

“I first learned about this in a letter my father left me with his will. My mother died in my seventh year in a Death Eater Attack in Diagon Alley and…” Remus faltered but Sirius continued for him.

“And John said in his letter that he only kept going for his son after losing the love of his life. That Remus was all he had left and losing him would be unbearable. I can relate,” he smiled sadly squeezing one of Harry’s hands.

“When I told him I entered the Order he supported me but still didn’t tell me. One day, right after you were born Harry, there was yet another attack in Diagon Alley. The Order was called and we all Apparated there. It was crazy, we were all fighting for our lives. I had been injured with an ugly cutting hex and was down. The Death Eater responsible was already uttering the Killing curse when out of nowhere my father Apparated in front of me and took the curse for me,” Remus said sadly and Harry took his hand and squeezed it. He could relate to the feeling. Voldemort had been especially cruel when he said Lily died because of Harry. He felt like he was at fault many times but his dad and Uncles always said he wasn’t.

“James saw it,” Sirius continued. “He had just seen the Death Eater and was trying to get to them but he was too late. He managed to catch him though. The distraction of someone Apparating in front of Moony was enough to disorient the Death Eater long enough for James to get there. Afterwards in the will reading there was a letter explaining the Lupin bond, when he used it, and that he hadn’t told Moony because he knew Moony would make him promise not to use it.”

“I would have,” Remus said sadly. Harry hugged him.

“Thanks Uncle Moony.”

“You are my life too cub. You’re my son, I couldn’t lose you,” Remus said a little muffled by Harry’s hair, to which his face was pressed.

“And you are one of my four dads. I am very lucky.”

XXXXX

The next time Harry woke, only Sirius was there. Remus had gone to see Severus and had taken a letter Harry wrote to him. After Madam Pomfrey did a thorough check on Harry and had him swallow half a dozen disgusting potions, Harry smiled knowingly at Sirius.

“What?”

“The Lupin bond was the technicality that made you be the one chosen for the second task wasn’t it?”

“Yeah,” Sirius grunted. “If you had been in danger, the bond would break the stasis spell and Moony would suddenly wake up underwater. That wouldn’t be good.”

Harry smiled as Sirius huffed.

“I still say it was a technicality, what were the chances?”

“Big.”

More huffing and scowling. There was a knock on the door and a bushy head came in, “Professor Black, Professor Lupin said that Harry might already be awake and up to visits.”

Sirius smiled. “Yes he is. But not long okay?”

Hermione bounded in, followed by Ron, Ginny, Neville, Fred and George.

“You okay mate?” Ron asked.

“I’ll live,” Harry said as they all took seats around his bed.

Hermione crossed her arms and said in a stern voice, “Harry James Potter Black, you have a lot of explaining to do.”

“What?” Harry asked.

“Well, there is the little fact that you are an Animagus,” Fred said his eyes shining with mischief.

“Then there is Professor’s Snape weird behavior,” Neville said. “I mean, he was holding your hand Harry. Holding your hand!”

“That’s nothing,” Sirius waved absently. He had taken a seat at the foot of Harry’s bed. “You didn’t see the time when Harry was five and I decided to fetch him earlier than expected from Spinner’s End and Sev was trying to give a very hyperactive kid a bath. I told him not to give Harry chocolate, but did he listen? No. Harry had been running around naked covered with soap, and Sev had just managed to catch him and was carrying him back upstairs. He was covered in soap too. I have a picture of that,” he finished fondly and Harry could worriedly see his father’s wish to enlarge and display said picture in the Great Hall. All the kids looked positively shocked and were not able to imagine their sour teacher in such a position.

“Uncle Sev worked as a spy for Dumbledore,” Harry explained. “He couldn’t be friendly to the Boy-Who-Lived because it would be quite suspicious. That’s why he belittles me in public and favors the Slytherins who have Death Eater’s parents.”

“He favors all Slytherins,” Ron said.

“No he doesn’t,” Sirius said seriously. “He just disciplines them in private. Slytherins are viewed by most as evil just because of their House. They are mistrusted by three quarters of this school. So they show a united front. Severus is quite rigid with his snakes. Unfortunately he can’t be as rigid as he usually is with others with twerps like Malfoy or Nott for instance because they would tell their parents, and Sev needed them for information.”

“He was my mom’s best friend since before Hogwarts,” Harry explained.

“But your mom was Muggle-born,” Ginny said.

“And Uncle Sev is half-blood. His dad was a Muggle and mom and him lived near each other.”

“This is just so weird,” George said.

“Makes sense though,” Hermione said matter of factly.

“No it doesn’t,” Ron said with a look that clearly said he thought Hermione was out of her mind.

“Many of Harry’s stories have holes; like how Professor Black figured out Crouch Jr. was using Polyjuice. Why didn’t he just think Mr. Crouch was snooping around Professor Snape’s office?”

“Because Uncle Sev said that Boomslang skin was missing from his store.”

“Oh, yes. That was such an interesting piece of information we got there,” Sirius said eyeing the kids. “We still have to establish punishment since now we actually can. Brewing Polyjuice unsupervised. Getting into the Slytherin Common Room unauthorized.”

Neville, Ron and Hermione quickly gave their best innocent faces and Ron said evenly, “I have no idea what you are talking about sir.”

“Harry already confessed.”

“Under duress I’m sure. That will never hold on a court of law, he might have been tortured,” Hermione said with a straight face.

“Polyjuice, Slytherins? Did you hear this Fred?”

“Yes, George,” Fred sobbed theatrically. “They grow up so fast. I am so proud!”

“Anyway, there is also the fact that in first year Harry was adamant Professor Snape was not after the Philosopher’s Stone and that night last year when Harry was kidnapped it was a full moon. No way it could have been Professor Lupin out there,” Hermione said. “And of course, training to be an Animagus was what Harry was doing last year. The family tradition.”

“It was supposed to stay a secret. So if I ever had to use my form in a battle or to escape no one would expect it or know it was me.” Harry said shaking his head.

“You are too smart for your own good Ms. Granger,” Sirius snorted. He saw Harry rub his eyes tiredly and yawn. “Okay, time’s up. Harry has to sleep.”

“But I just woke up,” Harry protested.

“I know. But it’s going to take a while before you have your energy back. Poppy says it’s normal with what you went through and with the potions she is giving you for your leg. They take some of your magic and energy to do their work.”

“What potions?” Hermione asked.

“I’ll explain them to you all if you wait for me outside while I put Harry to bed,” Sirius said gently.

“Okay! We’ll come back later Harry!” George promised.

“Not a baby dad,” Harry yawned again. “M’ fine.”

“You’re my baby,” Sirius said tucking Harry in, and Hermione and Ginny giggled.

---

A/N- Thanks for reading and reviewing.

Thanks SWaddict1986 for the help correcting my mistakes.

 

 

 

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1910